BIRDWELL, M. R.
The history of M. R. Birdwell's life is not essentially different from that of many of his fellow cattlemen. Like them he is a Texan by birth and by virtue of life-long residence, and he has fought his way to the front in the face of obstacles and despite reverses. He learned habits of industry and self-reliance in the hardest of schools, and at a time when the value of such habits could hardly have been over-estimated.
The family of which Mr. M. R. Birdwell comes has always been a prolific and hardy one. John Birdwell, his father, was one of thirteen children, all of whom lived to a ripe old age, and was himself the father of nine children, four of whom are living. The elder Mr. Birdwell was of Irish descent and a Tennessean by birth. He was born October 28, 1826; married Miss Isabella V. Werry, who was born in Memphis, December 15, 1829, and in 1847 removed to Rusk County, Texas, where the subject of this biography was born on the 29th day of April, 1854. John Birdwell was a farmer and a reasonably successful one, for that day and time, but the war interfered sadly with his prosperity, and upon his return from a long service in the Confederate army he found his once well-tilled fields very nearly returned to their original state of wildness. His wife had found it impossible to procure the labor necessary for cultivating the farm, and M. R. was then too young to offer much assistance. Yet, a living was to be made, and their only chance was the meager one of coaxing, with their feeble efforts, a return from the unwilling soil. The fences, as they rotted and fell, could not be replaced, for rails were lacking. Instead, the policy of "drawing in" fences was adopted; a method which utilized the more serviceable rails, but sadly reduced the size of the enclosure. A second "setting in" shortly followed the first, cutting down a fair sized farm to the dimensions of an ordinary potato patch; and this was about the state of affairs which greeted Mr. Birdwell upon reaching home after the last campaign of the war. It required years of hard labor to retrieve the ground he had lost, and he had not wholly succeeded when he was offered an opportunity to sell his farm, which he accepted, moving in 1872 to Johnson County, where he engaged successfully in stock raising and farming. He died in Johnson County in 1889, leaving property worth fully $10,000 and free of all incumbrances.
The flocks and herds owned by John Birdwell at the beginning of the war had dwindled to almost nothing at its close. One mule, two or three cows and a few hogs comprised the sum total, and they became M. R. Birdwell's special care. Other stock was purchased from time to time, and things began to assume a more prosperous appearance. Upon M. R.'s marriage, January, 1876, his father gave him two ponies, worth about $30 each, and $70 in money, the proceeds of his share of the last crop. With this provision against actual want he bravely began the battle of life. For the first two years he farmed and traded in a small way, evincing a natural aptitude for buying and selling stock. He arranged with Fort Worth butchers to furnish them with fat cattle, and in this way made considerable money. In 1878 he gave up farming altogether and removed to Palo Pinto County, carrying with him 160 yearlings, a few cows and four horses, the result of an equal division of his own and his father's joint herds. Reaching Palo Pinto County he traded one of the horses for a twenty-two acre pre-emption claim, selling it later on, and in 1882 purchased a section of railroad land, the location of his present home ranch. He has since added to it until his ranch at present consists of some 3,000 acres. He has also a ranch of 8,640 acres, much of which is leased lands, in Gray County, and about 3,000 acres at what is known as the "Arnold Ranch" in Archer County. He has been holding from last year about 500 head of stock in Palo Pinto County, and probably 100 steers on the Gray County ranch. His usual holding of cattle is much larger than this, but he has recently shipped all of his marketable cattle and is now engaged in restocking. His first step in this direction was to lease, just at the time of the writing of this biography, an additional pasture of R. L. Arnold, in Archer County, which he has stocked with 2,000 head of cattle which he will carry through the winter.
During the years Mr. Birdwell has spent in the West he has encountered the routine of incident and adventure that usually falls in the way of frontiersmen. In 1873, while driving cattle from Camp Colorado to Dallas he had a narrow escape from Indian raiders, barely missing a collision with the band that attempted the raid near Brownwood, in which two Indians were killed and 160 horses stolen.
Three of Mr. Birdwell's sisters are still living: Susan Janet, married to J. L. Covey, of Johnson County; Mary A., wife of H. D. Arnold, Palo Pinto County, and Bennie, wife of W. R. Griffin, of Johnson County. His only brother, J. R., is also living, but a sister, Bettie, died in 1890. Mr. Birdwell has two children: John W. and Bessie Ethel, each of whom have their individual holdings of stock given them by their father, in accordance with a custom favored by old-time stockmen. Children who are encouraged to feel due pride in their own little herds are safe to retain interest in such things as they grow in years.
Mr. Birdwell has earned the esteem and respect of his associates by his unvarying probity and enterprising character. He has built up his fortunes in their midst through legitimate and creditable methods, and has won place among the most substantial men of that section. He is a member of the Masonic Lodge at Palo Pinto, and also belongs to the Knights of Pythias. (Source: Historical and Biographical Record of the Cattle Industry and the Cattlemen of Texas by James Cox, Published by Woodward & Tiernan Printing Co, St Louis, 1895 - Transcribed by Veneta McKinney)
BIRDWELL, PRESTON KILGORE
An active figure in the business life of Tyler for more than forty years, Preston Kilgore Birdwell is now the successful operator of his own retail hardware business, in which he enjoys the wide patronage of the local populace. He was born in Augusta, Houston County, December 17, 1868, the son of Rev. George P. and Addie (Kilgore) Birdwell, both deceased. Rev. Birdwell, a native of Alabama, was engaged in school teaching in the East Texas area for many years, and was also a minister in the Baptist church. During the War Between the States he served for four years with the 4th Texas Regiment, and acted as chaplain of this unit. He was the son of Allen Birdwell, who came to Texas from Alabama about 1845, operated his own plantation in Rusk County for many years. Among his large family of nineteen children, there were several sons who saw service with the Confederate Army. Preston Kilgore Birdwell was educated under the tutelage of his father, and afterwards followed the farming industry for approximately six years. He then moved to San Antonio and became associated with the F. F. Collins Company, manufacturers of water supply materials. He continued here for seven years, working in various capacities, until he was advanced to the post of assistant department superintendent. In 1901 he came to Tyler, as book-keeper for the wholesale and retail grocery establishment of Parker and Pinkerton, and remained with this concern until 1906, when he became book-keeper for the Carlton Lumber Company. Later he was made a partner in the business, and when this company was incorporated in 1914 Mr. Birdwell retained his interests in the firm, acting as secretary, treasurer and company manager, in which capacities he served until his retirement in 1934. On March 15, 1936, however, he reentered the business life of Tyler, establishing his present retail hardware business which has proven a successful venture. In addition to his business activities, Mr. Birdwell is also a prominent figure in the civic and political life of this city, having been president of the East Texas Fair for two years, and is now the president of the Sabine Neches Reclamation Project, embracing about thirty counties in East Texas. From 1908 to 1912 he served as city tax assessor, and he was also a member of the first local City Commission, where he served for four years. During the complete period of the Spanish-American War, he was a member of Company K, 4th Texas Volunteer Infantry.
Mr. Birdwell is a member of the Episcopal church, an active Democrat, and the 1938 president of the Tyler Chamber of Commerce. He is also affiliated with Lodge No. 1233, Free and Accepted Masons, Chapter No. 24, Royal Arch Masons and the Knights of Pythias. He was married, in 1900, to Alice Gunter, of Lindale, Smith County, daughter of J. U. and America (Smith) Gunter. Mr. and Mrs. Birdwell are the parents of five children: 1. Barbara. 2. Seth, married Jessamen Hale, of Troup, Texas, and they have two daughters, Caroline and Lou Birdwell. 3. Patsy married Luther Swift of Nacogdoches, Texas, and they are the parents of three children, Luther, 3d, Patricia, and Sylvia Swift. 4. Florence. 5. Preston Kilgore, Jr., at present a student at Texas Agricultural and Mechanical College. [Richardson, T. C.; "East Texas : its History and its Makers"; New York: Lewis Historical Pub. Co., 1940]
BOWDON, FRANKLIN W.
In an unmarked grave in the cemetery of historic old Henderson, in Rusk county, sleeps the genius who by common consent is ranked the mightiest of Texan orators. Franklin W. Bowdon was born in Chester district, South Carolina, Feb. 17, 1817. He was graduated from the University of Alabama at Tuscaloosa in the class of 1836, of which the late Gov. O. M. Roberts of Texas was a member. He was admitted to the bar and began the practice in 1838 in Talladega. Six years later he was elected to the legislature, and there, by the force of his talents and his skill in debate, he at once became prominent. In 1846 he defeated Gen. Thos. A. Walker and Hon. Benj. Goodman for congress, and later he was re-elected, defeating Hon. S. F. Rice in 1847, and Gen. Bradford in 1849. In congress Mr. Bowdon became known as a debater in a class by himself. An English peer who heard him in Washington said that he had listened to most of the great orators of his day in Europe and America and that Mr. Bowdon excelled them all. He retired from congress in 1851, and soon afterwards removed to Texas, locating in the town of Henderson, where he built up a great law practice. He appeared with frequency and success before the state supreme court and federal courts in Tyler, while in trial courts throughout the state he won a series of victories the tradition of which yet lives.
In the campaign of 1855, in opposition to Know-Nothingism, one bright particular star blazed with unusual lustre. Franklin Bowdon was easily the most inspiring and captivating speaker heard in Texas during that contest, and not even that mighty leader of men, Gen. Sam Houston, could persuade the people when this magnetic orator mounted the rostrum. This writer when a boy over fifty-one years ago heard the debate at Rusk between Gen. Houston and Mr. Bowdon. "The Father of Texas" had become a member of the American ("Know Nothing") party, and, being severely criticised by the Democrats for his votes in the United States senate, he returned home to appeal to his people with the logic and force peculiar to Houston alone. He was of handsome person, an orator of the first class, the hero of San Jacinto, full of magnetic power to draw people to him. And he was a statesman of national repute. His speech on this occasion was sound in logic, rhetoric and forensic eloquence, and immensely pleased his devoted followers. Bowdon replied in a masterly address. His words came without effort and his influence over the audience was wondrous. The mesmerism of his genius and the witchery of his eloquence was such that men were lifted from their seats, and stood unconsciously drinking in the inspiration of his flowing words. His hearers wept like children. The Texan orator swept like a cyclone the structure built by the great Houston in his opening speech, scattered his logic to the four winds, and fairly captured the minds and hearts of the thousands who heard him on that memorable day. The late John H. Reagan, Postmaster General of the Confederate States, who had heard Henry Clay, Prentiss, Ben Hill, Toombs, Grady and many of the lesser lights, pronounced Bowdon the most phenomenal orator he had heard. He was indeed a prodigy. In the forum and on the stump he was without an equal.. He fully met Macauley's definition of eloquence in that he was master of the art of persuasion. Nor was he less sound and learned, for his briefs were pronounced by the courts to be models of legal acumen. In appearance Mr. Bowdon was prepossessing. Six feet high and well proportioned, his features were handsome and well developed. His temperament was sanguine, and he was agreeable, polished, and full of generous impulses. He was by birth and training a strict states rights democrat. He had an intense love for Texas, gloried in her unique and heroic history, prophesied for her a wondrous future, and frequently expressed the wish that when he died he might be buried in Texas soil. He was married to the daughter of Hon. Thomas Chilton, formerly a congressman from Kentucky, and they had several children. Bowdon College in Carroll county, Ga., is named in honor of the subject of this sketch. The death of Mr. Bowdon occurred June 8, 1857, in Henderson, Texas, and he was buried there the following day. There have been numerous Texans whose power of eloquence has brought glory to the Lone Star state, but it is no exaggeration to say that none excelled Franklin Bowdon. His speeches were specimens of forensic oratory unequalled in matter and delivery by any one of the titanic men who lit up the pages of early Texan history. It is said that the sensations he aroused were at times akin to those produced on the mind by a great actor or a great singer in the supreme climax of a thrilling tragedy or opera. Genius indeed temple in him. Fame crowned him. And the years only make more secure the aureole that circles his brief career. [Source: Texans Who Wore the Gray, Volume I, by Sid S. Johnson - Transcribed by Sarah Montgomery)
BUCHANAN, ALFRED PATTEN, M. D.
Throughout his medical career of thirty-two years, Dr. Alfred Patten Buchanan has maintained offices in his native city, Mineola, and in addition to his extensive general practice he has done considerable railroad and industrial work in this locality. He was born March 23, 1882, the son of John C., deceased, and Rosa (Patten) Buchanan. John C. Buchanan, a native of Rusk County was a practicing attorney in Mineola, and a prominent figure in the official life of this city. He served as a member of the Texas State Senate, at which time he drafted the bill that created the University of Texas. His untimely death in 1885, at the age of thirty-five years, when he held the office of district attorney, was the occasion of genuine sorrow among the local citizenry, who realized in his sudden demise, the loss of a most able lawyer, a conscientious public official and a civic leader of unquestioned integrity. His wife, a native of Quitman, has already passed her eighty-third birthday, residing with her son, Alfred Patten Buchanan, M. D.
Dr. Alfred Patten Buchanan acquired his early education in the public schools of Mineola and Huntsville, and then entered Southwestern University at Georgetown, Texas, where he was a member of the class of 1898. He next entered Sam Houston Normal School at Huntsville, and later matriculated at Tulane University, where he was graduated in 1906 with a Doctor of Medicine degree. After fulfilling his State requirements he was licensed to practice his profession, and opened his offices in Mineola, where he has practiced to the present day, and where he has attained the reputation for highest proficiency in the practice of medicine, tending successfully to the physical ailments of a large clientele.
Dr. Buchanan is a member of the Methodist Episcopal church, and is prominently identified with the affairs of the Democratic party. He is now serving his third year as a member of the local school board. He is past president of the Wood County Medical Society, and also holds membership in the State Medical Society. He is a member of Alpha Kappa Kappa medical fraternity, and is well known in the Masonic Order, being affiliated with Lodge No. 502, Free and Accepted Masons, Chapter and Commandery, Knights Templar, Tyler Consistory, Ancient Accepted Scottish Rite and Hella Temple, Ancient Arabic Order Nobles of the Mystic Shrine at Dallas. He is also a golfing enthusiast, and is enrolled in membership in the Mineola Country Club. He was married, May 28, 1911, to Ethel Reitch, of Mineola, daughter of Charles and Parilee (Ansley) Reitch. Dr. and Mrs. Buchanan are the parents of two children: 1. Rosalie, born October 6, 1916, a graduate with the Bachelor of Arts degree, of the University of Texas, class of 1935, and now engaged as a school teacher at Troup. 2. Ann Patten, born January 27, 1927, now a student in the local schools. [Richardson, T. C.; "East Texas : its History and its Makers"; New York: Lewis Historical Pub. Co., 1940]
CHILDRESS, R. G.
R. G. Childress is a native of Alabama, born in Marshall Co. in October 1838. Removed to Texas in 1844 and settled in Rusk County. Judge Childress served in the Texas Ranger service in 1854-55 in the company of Capt. J. S. Boggess. This company was organized in September 1854, doing active service on the Frontier until March 1855. Young Childress was noted for his gallantry while a Texas Ranger. When the war broke out in 1861, he enlisted in Company B, 3rd Texas Cavalry, and served with Whitfield, Mabry, Ross, W. H. Jackson with distinguished gallantry. He was a noted scout of the Western Army and kept in hand the men that were under and with him, being ever watchful, daring as well as prompt in giving reliable accounts of the movements of the Federal army. The last two years of the war he was the confidant of Gen. L. S. Ross as a scout.
Young Childress participated in the battles of Oak Hills, Chustenahlah, Elk Horn, Corinth, Iuka, Thompson's Station, Yazoo City, Rome and through the Georgia campaign under Joseph F. Johnston, and with Hood at Franklin. Judge Childress bore himself gallantly in the war and since the arms were stacked has made a good citizen, just such as a gallant Southern soldier can do. His people loved him for his moral worth and honored him in civic live. Being honest, faithful and trustworthy, he has born a romantic and historic part in turbulent times, and performed his duty in the serene quietude of peace and plenty. He is an honored citizen of Roscoe, Texas. [Source: Texans who wore the Gray, Vol. I, by Sid S. Johnson - Transcribed by Richard Ramos)
DOYLE, C. C.
Henderson Representative from the Twenty-Sixth District, Rusk County, was born in Knox County Tennessee, September 12, 1832. His parents were John Doyle, a tanner and native of Knox County, Tenn., who Came to Texas in 1849, from Calhoun County, Ala., and died at Overton in 1861; and Mrs. Nancy (Wear) Doyle, also born in Knox County, Tenn., who died in Alabama in 1844. Eleven children were born to them, of whom the subject of this notice was the tenth child and only two of whom besides himself, survive, viz: Mrs. Harriett Dodson, of Henderson, Texas, and Russell H. Doyle, a farmer residing near Albia, in Wood County, this state C. C. Doyle completed his education at Bunker Hill Institute, Bunker Hill, Texas; taught school in Rusk County until the beginning of the War Between the States; served as First Lieutenant of Company D., Fourteenth Texas Cavalry, until the final surrender, participating in the battle of Shiloh and other engagements in which his command was brought into action; was elected to the House of Representatives of the Twelfth Legislature, but did not serve in that body, as his seat was contested and the contest decided against him by a partisan majority; was Tax Collector of Rusk County for four years (from 1888 to 1892), and is in 1896 was elected to the House of the Twenty- Fifth Legislature, in which body he is a member of the following committees: Education, State Asylums, Commerce and Manufactures, and Mining and Minerals. He has introduced a bill providing for the working of County convicts, and short term state convicts on the public roads; a bill providing for a uniform system of text books; a joint resolution submitting an amendment to the constitution that will permit the Legislature to pass laws to encourage the establishment and growth of manufactories in this stale; and several bills of minor importance. He has always been a Democrat, has attended various conventions of his party, has often stumped his district in the interest of Democracy, and has at all times labored zealously in the cause of good government. He is a member of the M. E. Church, South, and Masonic, Knights of Honor, and Knights and Ladies of Honor fraternities. He was married in Rusk County in 1869 to Miss Mattie L. Finley, daughter of the late John J. Finley, and has five children, viz: Finley, twenty-four; Lelia, twenty; Walter, eighteen; Clarence, sixteen, and Perla, twelve years of age. Mr. Doyle is engaged in the grocery business at Henderson and for many years has been one of the leading men of that place, where he is esteemed, by all, both high and low, who know him. (Source: Texas State Government: A Volume of Biographical Sketches and Passing Comment, E. H. Loughery, McLeod & Jackson, 1897 - Transcribed by sd )
ELLIOTT, J. J.
County Commissioner J.J. Elliott, as present representing the Hubbard City Precinct upon the court. Col. Elliott was born on March 17, 1828, in that section of the state now embraced in Rusk county, and was consequently on March 17 last 63 years of age. Col. Elliott was a soldier in the Mexican war bring, when but a beardless youth, a member of the command of Capt. A.M. Truett, whose command formed a part of the regiment commanded by the gallant Col. Jack Hays.
After the close of the Mexican war Col. Elliott returned to his east texas home where he remained until May, 1861, when he again shouldered his musket and marched to the bugle's music for four years, fighting for the confederacy.
When in June, 1865, Col. Elliott reached his Texas home from the conflict a commissioned officer full of honors and with battle marks upon his body, he was at once set about preparing for his removal to the west, and he accordingly in 1868 came with his family to Hill county and located near the present town of Mt. Calm and engaged in farming.
Early in the seventies there were many lawless character in Hill county, and Col. Elliott, desiring to put a stop to their misdoings and rid his section of them, accepted the position of constable, and so well did he discharge the duties of his office that in less than a year his section became one of the most law abiding and peaceable neighborhoods in the state. He is at present one of the soundest and most progressive members of the county commissioner's court. By strict attention to his own business he today finds himself in his old age in splendid health and with a sufficiency of this world's goods about him to keep the wolf from the door during the remainder of his days. He has reared a family of children, all of whom are highly respectable citizens of this county and an honor to their native state.
Col. Elliott has been for years a reader of "The News", and he now would find himself lost without it. He has been a life-long democrat and has ever been progressive and public spirited. He, in nearly every instance, has found "The News" to voice his sentiments upon all public affairs. He has filled many positions of trust during his lifetime and has proved recreant to none. He has not for two year been able to hear of or see a single native-born Texan older than himself. In his section all parties look to him for good counsel and advice in every emergency, and no worthy supplicant for aid or assistance ever left his door disappointed. [Source: Dallas Morning News (Dallas, Texas), dated June 14, 1891]
FREDDELL, THEOPHILUS B.
Theophilus B. Freddell, of Denison, a veteran of Ector's Texas Brigade, was born in Newton county, Ga., January 19, 1840, and removed to Texas in 1859. He enlisted at Pine Hill, Rusk county, in Major R. P. Gump's battalion that formed into the Thirty - second regiment, commanded by Col. Andrews. Young Freddell was made orderly sergeant of his company. He first felt the shock of battle at Elkhorn and then crossed the Mississippi and participated in the many engagements that made Ector's brigade so famous in the Army of Tennessee. The last fight in which young Freddell was engaged was at Spanish Fort, near Mobile, and this battle was fought after the surrender of Gen. Lee. He was paroled at Meridian, Miss. On January 16, 1866, he was married to Miss Malinda J. Little, of Rusk county. [Source: Texans Who Wore the Gray, Volume I; by Sid S. Johnson - Transcribed by FoFG mz)
GARRISON, THOMAS S.
Timpson Representative from the Thirty-Third district, Shelby and Sabine counties, was born in Camll County, Ga., June 17, 1"37; completed his education at Carrollton College, Ga, served in the Confederate Army through the late war as a soldier in Glenn's Battalion of Cavalry, moved to Hays County, Texas in 1867; farmed there for two years; merchandised at Caledonia, Rusk County, for fifteen years, and then moved to Timpson where he has since continued in the mercantile business. Besides his connection with other interests he is now vice-president and owns a majority of the stock of the M. T. & S. P. R. R. Co. He was married at Bowden, Ga., June 10, 1860, to Miss Lizzie Avery, daughter of the late William Avery, of Mount Pleasant, Texas. Five children have been born of this union. Mr. Garrison is a member of the M, E. Church, South, Masonic and Knights of Honor fraternities, and Democratic Party. He was a delegate to the general conferences of his church held at Richmond Va., in 1886, St Louis, Mo., in 1890, and Memphis, Tenn, in 1894; was Deputy District Grand Master of Masons from 1888 to 1891; was Supreme Representative to the Supreme Lodge of the Knights of Honor at Cleveland, Ohio, in 1887, and Indianapolis, Ind., in 1888; has been a delegate to minor and all Democratic state convention held in Texas during the past ten years, has done much effective work for his party on the stump, and in 1896, as the Democratic nominee was elected to the Twenty-Fifth Legislature, over a Populist candidate, by a flattering majority He is Chairman of the House Committee on Appropriations (one of the most important of all the committees-a position involving great labor), and a member of the Revenue and Taxation committee. (Source: Texas State Government: A Volume of Biographical Sketches and Passing Comment, E. H. Loughery, McLeod & Jackson, 1897 - Transcribed by sd )
GARVIN, M. L.
Mr. Garvin was born on a farm in North Georgia, May 22, 1845. His parents were also natives of that state - his father, Silas Garvin, originating from Hall county, and his mother, Miss Sarah Blackwell, from Lumpkin county. Both were ardent members of the Baptist church, set a good example before their children, and died, the mother in 1901, the father in 1904. Retracing to earlier days, Silas Garvin, father, went to California in 1851 and spent two years during the gold excitement. In December, 1856, he located in Rusk county, Texas, and in the fall of 1857 moved to Hopkins county and settled on a farm near Black Oak, six miles south of Como, when the subject of this sketch, M. L.. Garvin, was eleven years old. In September, 1862, father and son enlisted in the Confederate army (M. L., aged 17), and both had their initial drilling for service in the same company, at the same time, on the land where the town of Como now stands, and the only house in sight then still stands and is today occupied. The company locally recruited was an independent one, and known as Co. E, Second Texas Rangers, with Silas Garvin lieutenant, and was later brigaded with Tom Green Division. This branch of the Confederate army experienced very active service through East Texas and Louisiana - fighting several days at a stretch - engaged Gen. Banks' army and was in the battles Coward Crow Bayou, Pleasant Hill, Mansfield, Baton Rouge, Old Cain, Red River Bottoms, etc. Mr. Garvin remained with the army until peace was declared, the closing of hostilities finding him near Little Rock, Ark. - his father having a short time previous took sick and been detailed to go home. Of the many battles and skirmishes engaged in Mr. Garvin was only hit once with a spent ball. Returning to the old homeplace he found his father's slaves freed, property decimated, stock gone and one sister having died - he met one of his brothers, who had also been in the Confederate army for eighteen months. The family originally consisted of five sons and five daughters. Besides owning considerable property and a large mercantile establishment in Como, Mr. Garvin is also president and general manager of the Como Coal Company, incorporated with a capital stock of $10,000, but representing an investment of $25,000. The plant has recently been improved to a modern basis, produces a high grade of lignite coal from a depth of seventy-five feet, six-foot vein, and has a capacity for working one hundred men. The output is fast, finding a ready sale in Texas, as it should. Mr. Garvin is a man of a fine family, of wife and nine living children; is a Mason and a Baptist. He commands the respect and love of a wide acquaintance, and as a business man and public spirited town-builder has done, and is today doing much, to develop the Como district. [Source: Past History and Present Stage of Development of Texas, published by Forrister History Company, Chicago (1912) - Transcribed by Helen Coughlin)
GIBSON, J. P.
James P. Gibson, of Rusk, was born June 26th, 1846, two and a half miles from Rusk, Cherokee County, Texas. Has lived in and near Rusk all his life. Enlisted in the Confederate army in 1863, in Co., D., commanded by Capt. John B. Sydnor, in Scott Anderson's Cavalry Regiment. The regiment was re-organized soon after it entered service, and John P Border was elected Colonel. He served with the regiment until the close of the war and was discharged at Navasota in April 1865, when the command disbanded. After the war Judge Gibson attended school for several years, then read law under Hon. Sam A. Wilson and was admitted to the bar in 1872. He served several years as county surveyor and 13 years as county judge of Cherokee county. He is now actively engaged in the practice of law at Rusk and doing a lucrative law business. He was married in December 1872, to Miss Jeanie B. Martin, a daughter of Capt. R.B. Martin of Rusk. Both are living and have four children. Hon. Frank Gibson, the oldest son is the present county attorney of Cherokee county; Geo. W. Gibson is official court stenographer for the 2nd judicial district. The two daughters Ruth and Mae, are unmarried and reside with their parents. Judge Gibson is a man of much force of character, a splendid lawyer, and very popular with the people he has lived so long with. A native Texan, born among the red hills of old Cherokee county, that gave to Texas so many illustrious men. [Source: Texans Who Wore the Gray, Volume I, by Sid S. Johnson - Transcribed by Cheryl Quinn)
In 1890, after many years of experience in business life, Homer Harris joined in establishing the mercantile firm of Mays and Harris at Henderson. This enterprise, which has continued to develop during the intervening decades, is now one of the oldest in the community and one of the most important of Henderson's commercial houses. Its position reflects the strength which Mr. Harris and his associates have brought to its management during the long years in which he has been a leading figure in Henderson's life.
Born at Harmony Hill, Rusk County, on October 6, 1855, Mr. Harris is a son of George Scott and Virginia West (Vinson) Harris. His father, a native of North Carolina, came to Texas in 1852. He was the son and grandson of devout Baptist ministers, who had come to America from Wales, and was himself a preacher, merchant and farmer. He served as chaplain in the Confederate Army in the War Between the States; was a Democrat in politics, and was affiliated with the Masonic Order. He exercised an important influence in the early life of this community. His mother, who was born in Virginia, was a daughter of Isaac Vinson, an English schoolmaster, who came to the United States in young manhood.
Homer Harris, the fifth child of this union, was educated in private schools at Harmony Hill, which village was the social, scholastic, and religious center of the farms and plantations converging there. At the age of sixteen, he became a clerk in the local store of J. M. Robertson, and during the four years that he held this position he obtained his first practical business experience. For the next four years, with the exception of a few months when he returned to the family farm, he held similar positions in general stores in the neighboring towns of Longview, Tyler, and Henderson. In 1879 he returned to Harmony Hill and opened his own mercantile business. He was only twenty-four years old at this time, but his knowledge of merchandising was wide and his judgment was mature. Mr. Harris prospered at Harmony Hill and continued to conduct his store there until December, 1889. At the end of this time, having accumulated an adequate working capital, he sought larger opportunities and in 1890 he joined with J. M. Mays in establishing the firm of Mays and Harris at Henderson. Mr. Harris has been actively associated with the management of this enterprise, continuing after the death of his partner. His energy and vision have been decisive factors in the progress of the original establishment, its flourishing success, and its eventual conversion in 1934 from a general merchandising business into a well stocked, modern department store. As a result, the firm of Mays and Harris has faithfully served the needs of Henderson and the surrounding territory throughout its history and justly deserves the prestige it enjoys as Henderson's oldest mercantile company. It employs twelve people under the general managership of F. G. Cook, Mr. Harris' son-in-law.
Mr. Harris continues to head the company, but in the course of years he has had other business interests to which his services have been equally valuable. He is now president of the Henderson Oil Mill and Fertilizer Works and the vice-president and a director of the First National Bank of that town. He has also been active in civic life, making his influence an effective force to promote the cause of progress. He served for twenty-five years as a member of the Henderson School Board, and, as a life-long member of the church, he has been on the board of deacons of the First Baptist Church for more than forty years. He has been active in the Chamber of Commerce, was a charter member of the Lions Club, and is a member of the Henderson Country Club. He has always enjoyed the respect and regard of the people of his community and is honored for his contributions to the civic and cultural life of Henderson. Mr. Harris is a Democrat in politics. On November 21, 1880, at Harmony Hill, Mr. Harris was married to Anna Maria Hendrick, daughter of Dr. Seaborn Jones Hendrick and Evelyn Frances (Smith) Hendrick, who were natives of Alabama. There were four children born of this union. Mrs. Harris died in 1903, and in 1909 Mr. Harris and Elizabeth Vandevort Brokaw, of Bound Brook, New Jersey, were married at Tyler, Texas. She died in 1931. Lola Bell Harris, the eldest child, was born in 1882. She was graduated from the Cincinnati Conservatory of Music, and in 1903 married Dupuy Bateman, a cotton factor and oil man of Henderson. There are three children, the oldest, Dupuy Bateman, junior, was educated at Rice Institute and married Sarah Padgitt Rotan of Houston, in 1934. They have two daughters, Sally and Elizabeth. Mr. Bateman is president of the Anderson-Clayton Compress Company's compresses in Atlanta, Georgia. The second son, Homer Harris Bateman, was born in 1909, attended Staunton Military Academy in Virginia, and was married in 1932 to Mary Maxine Helm of Houston. Mr. Bateman is president of the Codeal Compresses of Anderson-Clayton Company in Buenos Aires, Argentine Republic. The daughter, Elizabeth Brokaw Bateman, was born in 1917. She attended Hockaday School and the University of Texas, and was married in 1938 to Lee Butler Stone of Houston. The second daughter of Mr. Harris, Fanny West, was born in 1884. She was graduated from the University of Texas and in 1910 was married to Alexander Pope, an attorney at law of Dallas, Texas. They have two children, a son, and a daughter. Alexander Pope, Jr., was born at Dallas in 1913, and received his Bachelor of Arts and Bachelor of Laws degrees from the University of Texas in 1937. He is in the legal department of the Gulf Oil Corporation at Houston. The daughter, Frances Harris Pope, was born in 1917, attended the Hockaday School and was graduated from the University of Texas in 1938. Homer Harris, Jr., only son of Mr. Harris, was born in 1892. He attended Bingham School in North Carolina, and the University of Texas. In 1917 he married Mildred Smith of Longview and died in 1934. Louise Miller Harris, the youngest child of Mr. Harris, was born in 1894. She was educated at Saint Mary's College in Dallas and the University of Texas, and in 1920 was married to Felix Cook. Mr. Cook is a native of Tennessee, but after the World War he left the army and entered business in Detroit. After the death of J. M. Mays, he came to Henderson and became associated with the firm of Mays and Harris. They have one son, Felix Cook. Jr., who was born in 1925. [Richardson, T. C.; "East Texas : its History and its Makers"; New York: Lewis Historical Pub. Co., 1940]
HOLLINGSWORTH, O. N.
Orlando N. Hollingsworth was among the bright young men that enlisted from Rusk county, Texas, in Capt. R. H. Cumby's Co. B, Third Texas Cavalry, that went to the front early in 1861, and first saw the brunt edges of war at the battle of Oak Hills. He was born in Calhoun county, Ala., April 5, 1836. Soon after his birth his father died and in 1845 with his mother he moved to Texas. His early education was founded in the common schools of the county, and in 1859 he was graduated from the University of Virginia with honor. On account of his executive ability he was appointed adjutant of the Third Texas Cavalry. When the assault was made on Corinth, in 1862, he was so badly wounded that he was permanently disabled from service the balance of the war. Coronal Institute, located at San Marcos, was founded by him in 1864-6, and was long presided over by him. He was an educator of prominence and advanced thought, and while holding this position he was elected superintendent of public instruction and later appointed secretary of the board of education. He held other positions of trust and was greatly esteemed for his educational and executive ability. A man of warm impulse, having confidence in his friends, he was early led to make mistakes by placing too much confidence in those who surrounded him as his patrons and followers. I have no knowledge of his being alive or dead, but he was a warm-hearted, generous man, and was ever ready with his means and influence to advance the interest of a friend. He was a good and pure man. [Source: Texans Who Wore the Gray, Volume I, by Sid S. Johnson - Transcribed by Sharon Witt)
JOWELL, JEREMIAH THOMAS
Rancher Liked Gardens
J. T. Jowell moved his family to a Randall County ranch from Midland in 1900 and on to Hereford in 1905. He was a rancher and a member of the Masonic Lodge. Mrs. Jowell was a member of the Eastern Star, and the family was active in the First Christian Church here. After retiring from the cattle business, Jowell liked to work with fruit trees and made a garden at the home he built on Union Ave.
Jeremiah Thomas Jowell was born Jan. 25, 1849, in Rusk County, Tex., and died here in 1940. Nannie Elmira Jowell was born in Mississippi in 1860 and died at Hereford in 1940. They were married in Palo Pinto Co., Tex., on Jan. 10, 1885.
The J. T. Jowells were parents of Roy Jowell; who married Lela Orr here in 1926; Charlie Jowell (deceased) who married Nona Arthur (See C.P. [sic] Arthur); and Nannie Jowell who died in 1913. The Roy Jowells have one daughter, Diane (Mrs. Ed) Roberson, Hereford, and two grand-children. (A History of Deaf Smith County, by Bessie Patterson, 1964 ; transcribed by Susan Stutzman)
KILGORE, CONSTANTINE BUCKLEY
Constantine Buckley Kilgore was born in Newnan, Ga., Feb. 20, 1835. His parents removed to Rusk county, Tex., in 1846. He received a common school education and afterwards worked on a farm. At the outbreak of the war he enlisted in the confederate army and was successively promoted to be orderly sergeant, first lieutenant and captain in the tenth Texas regiment. In 1862 he was made adjutant general of Ector's brigade, of the Army of the Tennessee.
At the battle of Chickamauga Judge Kilgore was severely wounded and while lying helpless on the field was taken prisoner by the federal army and confined at Fort Delaware during the year 1864. He was exchanged, returned to his command and served till the end of the war.
Immediately after the close of the war he was admitted to the bar. Even during the arduous campaigning of the Army of the Tennessee he had found time to add to the store of legal knowledge he had begun to acquire when hostilities began.
In 1869 he was elected justice of the peace in Rusk county. He was a member of the constitutional convention of 1875, and in 1880 was a presidential elector on the Hancock and English ticket. In 1884 Judge Kilgore was elected to the state senate and in 1885 was chosen president of that body. In 1886 he was nominated for congress and resigned his seat in the senate. He was elected to the fiftieth, fifty-first and fifty-second congresses, and was defeated for renomination in 1894 by Hon. C.H. Yoakum.
After his defeat, which was principally ascribed to his loyal support of the Cleveland administration on every question except silver, President Cleveland appointed Judge Kilgore to the judgeship of the United States court at Ardmore, which post he has filled since that time.
In the exciting days of the fifty-first congress when Speaker Reed began to indulge his quorum-counting proclivities, Judge Kilgore's name was on everybody's lips. One day the speaker ordered the doors closed to prevent the exit of the democrats who left the hall in order to prevent the count and thus break the quorum. When the time for the roll call arrived, Judge Kilgore started out. He found that the door was shut. Without the slightest hesitation he gave the door a kick, it swung open and he passed out. The newspaper correspondents made much of the incident and the headline artist got in their work. Then the funny papers tried their hand and in less than three months Judge Kilgore's name was known to every newspaper reader in the union. He received letter from leather manufacturer who requested the honor of naming a brand of boots after him. Demands for his picture came from far and wide, so thoroughly had the unthoughtful action been advertised.
Up to 1896 Judge Kilgore was a very robust man, but in the last few months he has broken very rapidly, the decline beginning with a long siege of rheumatism and afterward being complicated with other diseases. With a naturally strong constitution he made a sturdy fight for life, but the initial attack had sapped his strength and his battle was in vain.
Judge Kilgore was genial and affable. Easily approached on all subjects and at all times his popularity is not be wondered at.
Of late years Judge Kilgore has resided at Wills Point and claimed that place as his residence even during his tenure of the Territory judgeship. [Source: From the Dallas Morning News (Dallas, Texas), dated May 14, 1893]
KILGORE, C. B.
C. B. Kilgore, of Wills Point, was born at Newnan, Ga., February 20, 1835. His father removed to Rusk county, Texas, in 1846, and as a volunteer in the Third Texas Cavalry fell at the battle of Oak Hills in 1861. C. B. Kilgore was educated in Henderson College, and then after one year's study of the law was admitted to the bar. He was much opposed to secession, but when Texas seceded and the call was issued for volunteers, he joined the Tenth Texas Cavalry and was made orderly sergeant of his company. Soon he was commissioned first lieutenant, and when the regiment was reorganized at Corinth he was chosen captain of Co. G. While on the Kentucky campaign he was made adjutant-general of his brigade, which position he continued to fill until after the battle of Chickamauga where he was severely wounded and later captured, being confined as a prisoner of war in Fort Delaware until March, 1865. He returned now to Rusk county, Texas, and resumed the practice of law. In 1875 he was elected a member of the Constitutional convention that passed the present organic law of Texas. In 1877 he removed to Wills Point, in Van Zandt county, where he resided continuously thereafter. In 1880 he was presidential elector on the Hancock and English ticket. In 1884 he was elected to the Texas senate, and although a new member, he was chosen president pro tempore of that body - a high tribute to his ability and popularity. Two years later he was elected to congress and served therein continuously eight years. In 1895 President Grover Cleveland nominated Col. Kilgore to be United States district judge in the Indian Territory and he was confirmed and served with conspicuous ability for several years. He was a member of the Presbyterian church and a bright Mason. Col. Kilgore occupied various offices of trust, always with credit to himself and his people, and his death, in 1898, was widely deplored. [Source: Texans Who Wore the Gray, Volume I, by Sid S. Johnson - Transcribed by Sharon Witt)
Solomon Lasseter, born in Griffin, Ga., Sept. 18, 1844, and removed to Texas in 1854. Enlisted at Pine Hill, Rusk county, Texas, in company C, 1st Texas infantry, being one of the regiments that composed Hood's Texas Brigade in the Army of Northern Virginia, hence saw much active fighting. He participated in the battles of his brigade from Yorktown to Chicamauga (except Chancellorsville) and in the last mentioned battle was seriously wounded and sent to Griffin, Georgia hospital, until his recovery. Occupying the store house his father, Dr. Lasseter, had done business in before his removal to Texas. He was detailed then in the commissary service at Macon, Ga., and surrendered at King's Tree, South Carolina. Married Miss Nettie Glaze, in Rusk county, Texas, December 23, 1868. Removed to Navarro county in 1872 and to Tyler in 1884. His son, H. E. Lasseter, is a prominent young lawyer of Tyler. [Source: Texans Who Wore the Gray, Volume I; by Sid S. Johnson - Transcribed by Bobby Dobbins Title)
Elijah Lindsay was born in Shelby County, Ala., August 2, 1842, being the oldest son of David H. and Nancy W. Lindsey, who settled near Henderson in Rusk county in 1847, and the following year removed to Smith County. He enlisted in Co. C, 17th Texas Cavalry, Taylor's regiment, Polignac's division, Trans-Mississippi department. He participated in the campaigns of the army, ever faithful to the cause of the South. He has been prominent in business as a merchant and farmer. He has been married twice: On December 1st, 1868 he was married to Miss Sue Roberts, a daughter of Col. Willis Roberts, and she died Nov. 22nd, 1888. In 1890 he married Miss Sallie Nunnelee of Lindale, Texas. A good man a true Confederate and a gentleman of the old South. Postoffice, Tyler, Texas. [Source: Texans Who Wore the Gray, Volume I; by Sid S. Johnson - Transcribed by FoFG mz)
Allison Mayfield was born on a farm near Overton, Rusk county, Texas, October 2, 1860. His parents were James and Sallie Mayfield. James Mayfield was a native of McMinn county, Tennessee. Sallie Mayfield (nee Sallie Glenvire) was born in Pickens district, South Carolina. The father was raised in the mountains of East Tennessee. He was of Welsh descent, his ancestors having been citizens of the United States for several generations. The mother was of French-Irish extraction. A grandfather on her mother's side was a Major in the Revolutionary War. The families of each moved to Texas early in the fifties and settled in Rusk county.
The parents of the subject of this sketch were married in that county, in 1858. James Mayfield, the father, died in Rusk county, May 27, 1889; the mother, Sallie Mayfield, departed this life at Sherman September 24, 1901.
Allison Mayfield received his education in the common schools of Rusk county, at Henderson College, then under O.H. Cooper, and at the Sam Houston Normal Institute. In the Junior Class of that institution, Allison received the medal for the highest general average. At the end of the first half of the Senior term he held the highest average in the Senior Class, but a serious and protracted case of fever prevented his graduation. Young Mayfield then taught in the public schools of Rusk and Smith counties for two years. After this he read law at Tyler in the office of Hon. Horace Clilton. He was admitted to the Tyler bar in the spring of 1883, after examination before Judge Jno. C. Robertson. Mr. Mayfield finally located at Sherman in September1884, where he lived and practiced law till he made his official residence in Austin. The young lawyer was elected city attorney of Sherman in 1888and served one term; was appointed an office assistant to Attorney General Chas. A. Culberson, December 1, 1893; resigned March, 1894. Mr. Mayfield was appointed Secretary of State by Governor Culberson January 15, 1895. This office he resigned at the close of the term (January, 1897) to qualify as Railroad. Mr. Mayfield was one of the three Railroad Commissioners nominated by the Democratic State Convention at Fort Worth, and was elected at the general election held November, 1896. In the drawing for the terms on the Railroad Commission the two years' term fell to Mr. Mayfield. He was nominated for a full term at the State Convention held at Galveston in August, 1898, by acclamation, his opponent having retired from the race. His election followed in November, 1898, for a term of six Mr. Mayfield has taken an active interest in politics, having been a delegate to nearly all the Democratic State Conventions since 1882; was a member of the Committee on Platform at the Dallas Convention in August 1894, representing Cooke and Grayson counties on the committee; was in charge of the campaign in Grayson county during the contest of 1894; has taken no part in campaigns except locally, in which he always supported the Democratic ticket.
While not a church member, Mr. Mayfield is a moral man and zealous member of the Knights of Pythias, to which he has belonged since July, 1883. He was married in Sherman, on June 4, 1888, to Miss Lula Chapman. This marriage has been blessed with one child, a daughter, twelve years of age.
Mr. Mayfield is an untiring worker on the Railroad Commission, and when differing from his colleagues has the courage of his convictions. [Source: Year Book of Texas; Caldwell Walton Raines; Gammel Book Co. (1902) - Transcribed by Janice Brazil)
MCDONALD, W. J.
The noted Captain of Company B., Texas, Frontier Battalion, who has rendered invaluable service to the state in bringing criminals to justice, stamping out lawlessness and protecting life and property in thinly settled portions of the west, was born in Kemper County, Mississippi, September 28, 1852; when eleven years of age ran off from home to join the Confederate army and made his way to his lather, Major Enoch McDonald, of the 40th Mississippi, in camp at Meridian, Miss., but was promptly sent back to his mother; came to Texas with his widowed mother in 1866, who located with her children near Henderson, in Rusk County; from 1866 to 1871 worked part of each year on the farm and during the remaining months attended country schools; entered Soule Commercial College, at New Orleans, and graduated from that institution in 1872; taught a writing school at Henderson during the year 1873; during 1874 merchandised and ran a ferry at Brown's Bluff, on the Sabine river, six miles south of Longview; moved to Mineola, Wood County, in 1876 and merchandised there until about 1881; embarked in the cattle business, in Wichita County in 1883; a year later sold his cattle interests there and established and ran a lumber business at Wichita Falls - until the summer of 1886, and then opened a ranch in Hardeman County, since which time he has been a cattle-raiser and acquired sufficient property to place him in comparatively easy circumstances, but for the failure in wheat crops caused by drought. His parents were Major Enoch and Mrs. Eunice (Durham) Mc Donald. His father was killed in action while commanding the 40th Mississippi regiment at the battle of Corinth. His mother died at Wichita Falls in 1885. Captain McDonald and sister, Mary T. now Mrs. McCauley of Wichita Falls, are the only ones of a family of six children that now survive.
In 1880 Captain McDonald became deputy sheriff of Wood County and while serving in that capacity went to Smith comity to effect, if possible, the arrest of Jim and Ed Bean. Jim had previously been arrested by the Sheriff of Smith County but afterwards escaped and became a terror to the people of Sabine bottom, stealing from and robbing them and resisting officer had shot and seriously wounded B. F. Pegues, a deputy sheriff of Van Zandt County, with a shot gun because the latter refused to obey his command when ordered to stand back and allow him to pass unmolested along a country road, and had but recently returned from Kansas where he had killed a city marshal. Captain McDonald soon came upon the Beans and a few desperate negroes, who were with them, and in the fight that ensued shot and badly wounded Jim Bean, who, however, managed to get away and was shortly thereafter killed by officers in Wise County. For this shooting McDonald was about to be indicted on the technical point of being out of his County, whereupon District Attorney (and afterwards Attorney General and Governor) Jas. S. Hogg told the grand jury that if any indictment was found he would [being then district attorney for the County in which the fight occurred] nolle pros, the case.
Mineola being a railroad terminus many "hard cases" congregated there from time to time, but none of them proved "hard" enough to prevent McDonald from arresting, disarming and jailing them.
After moving to Hardeman County he was ordered away by thieves who then infested that portion of the country, but instead of leaving, filed complaints against them and in 1887, when made deputy sheriff of the County, helped arrest and send many of them to the penitentiary. While engaged in this work he had numerous fights and wounded several lawless characters.
When Hon. Jas. S. Hogg was elected Governor he appointed McDonald captain of Company B., Frontier Battalion, since which time he has been in the ranger service. For two years prior to receiving this appointment he was a deputy United States marshal for the northern district of Texas, Kansas and the Indian Territory and was the first deputy marshal who ever got out of "No-Man's Land" with thieves and murderers under arrest. He arrested and brought from that region over one hundred of them. As captain of the rangers he waded the Wichita River in February 1896, and overhauled and arrested the desperadoes who had killed the cashier of the bank at Wichita Falls, and wounded several of the officers of the bank in a successful effort to rob the same. Captain McDonald recovered for the bank the money so stolen. The bank robbers were subsequently hanged by the outraged citizens of that place, after the rangers had left the town.
In September 1893 McClure, one of McDonald's men, arrested Toe Beckham, absconding sheriff of Motley County, then under indictment for being short in his accounts, and while on his way back with his prisoner passed through Childress County. John P. Matthews, sheriff of Childress County, attempted to take the prisoner away from McClure. but was stood off by the ranger who delivered his man in jail at Matador, Motley County. Three months later Matthews and three other men went to Quanah and there sought a fight with McDonald, in which the ranger captain was shot through the lungs and both shoulders, but, nevertheless, killed Matthews.
Captain McDonald was united in marriage to Miss Roda Isabella Carter, daughter of Judge E. G. Carter of Wood County, at Mineola in January 1876.
He is a member of the Cumberland Presbyterian church, I.O.O.F., Knights of Pythias and Masonic fraternities; having in Masonry taken the Blue Lodge, Chapter, Knight Templar and Shriner degrees,
He has always been a Democrat, has attended County, district and state conventions since 1870, and has been an unswerving supporter of Democratic principles and nominees.
He is slightly above medium height, of slender build, wears a light sandy mustache, has gray eyes, is quiet and modest in demeanor and in social life is a genial and engaging companion and true friend. (Source: Texas State Government: A Volume of Biographical Sketches and Passing Comment, E. H. Loughery, McLeod & Jackson, 1897 - Transcribed by sd )
McFARLAND, JOHN EDWIN
It was largely through the enterprise and leadership of John Edwin McFarland that Jacksonville became the thriving community it is today. As a pioneer newspaper editor and publisher in East Texas he had an abiding faith in the future of this community and promoted its advancement through the columns of his daily newspaper, the "Jacksonville Daily Progress," which is now entering its twenty-eighth year of publication. He made this paper an instrument of civic welfare and won the lasting gratitude of the public for his forthright and well directed leadership. Mr. McFarland was born near Tyler, Smith County, March 17, 1872, the son of John I. and Cornelia (Rice) McFarland, the former a native of Georgia, the latter of South Carolina. His father, who was born in 1830, and died in 1872, was a farmer and came to Texas after the War Between the States, in which he served under General Magruder of the Confederate forces. His mother, who died in 1879, at the age of forty-nine years, came to this State with a colony in 1859. The career of Mr. McFarland dates back to his early boyhood. At the age of thirteen, after having attended the public schools of Rusk County, he became a printers devil in the shop of the "Henderson Times," at Henderson. Four years later, in 1889, he came to Jacksonville and embarked upon a newspaper career he has since followed with outstanding distinction and success. At this time he founded "The Banner." a weekly which is still in existence. During the course of his journalistic activity in this part of the State he has seen numerous newspaper ventures come and go. Each has been of merit but in most instances ahead of its time. The exuberant spirit that marked these early leaders led them afield in many instances and Mr. McFarland fell prey to the idea that Jacksonville was ready for a daily paper as early as 1904. He was practical and realistic in his approach. "The Banner," as a weekly had been making money and sufficient was set aside to attempt the experiment. Thus on Friday, January 1, 1904, the following announcement appeared:
Beginning today, January 1st, 1904, "The Banner" will issue an evening paper, to be published every week-day in the year. It is purely a business enterprise, based upon an abiding faith in Jacksonville, and the belief that the town is worthy of and will support a daily newspaper. We do not solicit your patronage through sentiment, but as a matter of reciprocal business. If we cannot do you good, we do not want your money. However, we believe you will find "The Daily Banner" a paying proposition, both as a means of keeping posted on local matters and as an advertising medium. The subscription price will be 35c per month, or 10 cents per week, delivered anywhere in the city by carrier. Advertising rates furnished on application. It was an auspicious effort, but ahead of its time, for a year later we read: "The Daily Banner" has ended the first year of its existence, and until further notice will be suspended. The venture has met with liberal patronage from a few, but the great majority of our people have failed to realize the importance of Jacksonville having a daily paper, and have given it no encouragement whatever. Many of the wealthiest people of the city have not even subscribed for it. We were determined to publish the paper at least one year, and for a part of that time it failed to pay expenses. At other times, however, receipts were above expenses, and taking the year as a whole we have come out about even. Prospects for the coming year are not so promising, and for fear of a loss in the venture we have concluded to suspend publication. If at any time the town wants a daily paper bad enough to offer sufficient patronage to make it self-sustaining, "The Daily Banner" will be revived. Until that time we shall be content to issue a weekly.
Both of these notices are revealing. They indicate the straightforward character of the publisher, his business aptitude and his earnest desire to promote the welfare of the community. Despite public indifference Mr. McFarland knew the day would come when the publication of a daily newspaper would be justified, and he was not long in waiting. In partnership with B.F. Davis, who died on November 15, 1937, Mr. McFarland became interested in the "Daily Progress," which released its first issue on June 20, 1910. Eight years later this combine purchased the paper, which continued under the supervision of Mr. McFarland up to the time of his death July 15, 1938. The silver jubilee of the "Daily Progress" was celebrated at the Liberty Hotel in Jacksonville on June 5, 1935. Leaders in every walk of life from this city and neighboring communities, attended the dinner to pay tribute to the men who were responsible for the growth and development of such an important medium of public opinion. They all praised its services highly. The general tenor of the remarks is to be found in an observation made by one of the speakers who said: "You always will find the 'Daily Progress' on the right side of every question, standing for what it believes to be right, and steadfastly supporting it." As one of the most active figures in Jacksonville, Mr. McFarland also exerted his influence in other phases of community life. In his political faith he was an independent Democrat and contributed substantially to the advancement of that party. He was a consistent supporter of all worthy public projects and at one time, between 1912 and 1913, served as mayor of the city. In his religious convictions he worshipped at the Presbyterian church, in which he was a ruling elder. Mr. McFarland married Ivy Hill Waugh on March 17, 1929, native of Overton, Rusk County, daughter of J. B. Hill, of Overton, a native of Alabama, who settled in Texas in the latter 1870s. By a former marriage he is the father of three children: 1. Triss, who is married to John W. Shegog, of Dallas, and the mother of one son, Jack McShain. 2. Mildred, who is married to Rev. T. Walter Moore, of Dayton, and also the mother of one son, Tommy. 3. John Edwin, Jr., associated with the "Daily Progress." [Richardson, T. C.; "East Texas : its History and its Makers"; New York: Lewis Historical Pub. Co., 1940]
McKAY, HARVEY J.
Harvey J. McKay, son of Joseph L. and Margaret C. McKay, was born November 9, 1838, in Maury county, Tennessee, and removed with his parents to Texas in 1839. He enlisted in Co. K, Third Texas Cavalry, afterward a part of Ross' Texas Brigade, in June, 1861. He was in the battles of Oak Hill, Mo., Elk Horn Tavern, Ark., crossed the Mississippi and was in the battles of Farmington, Iuka, Corinth, Thompson's Station and other fights, when he was detached and the remainder of the war did provost duty for the division of Gen. Wm. H. Jackson. He was a fine soldier and performed the duties of his military life with promptness and fidelity, never shrinking from any duty imposed upon him. He was paroled at Jackson, Miss., at the close of the war and returned to Texas. On the 11th day of April, 1865, he was married to Miss Martha E. Douglas in Henderson county, Tenn., returning with his bride to Texas, He is a prominent farmer and a leading citizen of his county. Postoffice, Overton, Texas. [Source: Texans Who Wore the Gray, Volume I; by Sid S. Johnson - Transcribed by FoFG mz)
MILLER, CAPT. WILLIAM ANDREW
During the Civil war Leslie's Weekly published current accounts of the various battles that took place, and for the past several months they have been reproducing a page per issue of this matter from their files. Some of the statements that are so absolutely absurd can only be excused on the basis that they were written by Northern writers, based on sectional bias, and the wish being father to the facts. Again it shows what ridiculous "stuff" was "unloaded" on the public at the expense of the South and the Southern Confederacy. For instance, in its report on the battle of Wilson's Creek, Mo.: "That the Federals had 5,500 men and the Confederates had 23,000; that the Federals dislodged the enemy from its strong position in good order, with a loss of 200 men, and that the Confederate forces lost several times that number." One of the sane subjects, known as a cool and collected soldier in time of battle, that took part in this engagement, was Capt. W. A. Miller, of Henderson, Texas. Capt. Miller does not hesitate to say that Confederate pickets had been withdrawn the night before the battle - for what reason he knew not - and that they were surprised by the Federals early in the morning; ninety per cent of them being still in bed when the Federals opened fire on the Confederate camps. The Confederates had about 5,000 men and the Federals about 10,000, according to the Federal reports, which was captured by the Confederates. Where Gen. Lyon (Federal) was killed one could walk on dead men for a space of three acres, and Gen. Sigel's Corps, next in command, was cut to pieces.
Capt. Miller was born on his father's plantation in Bartow county, Georgia, Aug. 17, 1837. The family moved to Rusk county, Texas, in 1838, where Capt. Miller was schooled at Fowler Institute, a Methodist institution at Henderson, county seat. On June 9, 1861, he enlisted in the Confederate army, Co. B, 3d Texas Cavalry, and continued in this branch of service until the close of the war. His campaigning was largely through Missouri, Arkansas, Mississippi and Louisiana. Took part in battles of Wilson's Creek, Elkhorn, against Indians in Osage Nation, and Farmington. Upon reorganization, he came back west of the Mississippi river, and raised Co. F, Lane's Reg., of which he became first lieutenant, and shortly afterwards captain. Participated in battles of Prairie Grove, Dripping Springs, Pleasant Hill, Mansfield, Simsport, not to mention numerous skirmishes that took place in the meantime. When peace was declared Capt. Miller was at St. Gabriel, Williamson county, Texas. The war being over, he settled down to business - farming and selling goods. He was in the mercantile business at Bellview and Hallville, Texas, during brief intervals, and coming to Longview in 1871, he was the first man to sell goods at this place - his store being at what is now known as Gans' Old Corner. His store burned in 1872, and he has since been engaged in cotton buying throughout the territory of Texas, Henderson still being his home. Capt. Miller was married Feb. 16, 1893, to Miss Libbie Barber, of Gregg county, and she died in the infancy of her child, Libbie, in 1895. Capt. Miller is a man of high order of intelligence, is companionable, and is, an interesting conversationalist. He bought cotton on a very respectable scale until 1910, when he retired from the business.
Capt. Miller's father, John C. Miller, was born in South Carolina, his people moving to Georgia when he was a boy. The family came to Texas in 1839, and the father being a land surveyor platted the town site of Henderson in 1843. He was first district clerk of Rusk county, afterwards county judge for many years, and died in 1871; aged sixty-eight years. Capt. Miller's mother died in 1851. [Source: Past History and Present Stage of Development of Texas, published by Forrister History Company, Chicago (1912) - transcribed by Helen Coughlin)
MORRIS, JOHN ROBERTSON
John Robertson Morris was born in Coosa County, Ala., June 7, 1842, and removed to Texas with his parents in February 1847, and settled in Rusk County. Entered the Confederate service in the company of Capt. Foscue in 1861, then in company B, 14th Texas dismounted cavalry, composing one of the requirements of Ector's Texas brigade in the Army of Northern Tennessee. Was with Bragg in the Kentucky raid, Murfresboro, with Joe Johnston in the Georgia campaign, and at Spanish Fort. During Hood's return from the fatal battle of Franklin and his retreat from Nashville, young Morris was conspicuous as a gallant soldier. Ector's brigade was a part of the force of Gen. Pa. Cleburn's division, and he was with his command during the great struggles in which the contending forces made their regiments worthy of the cause for which they fought. He has been married twice, first Miss Martha A. Pinkerton, the second, Miss Ellen Ford. A gallant Confederate soldier, a prominent farmer and leading citizen of his county. He lives East of Tyler. [Source: Texans Who Wore the Gray, Volume I, by Sid S. Johnson - Transcribed by Cheryl Quinn)
OBERTHIER, F. H.
He Remembers It All
Want to know when any event here really happened? Ask F. H. Oberthier. It is probable that he can tell you not only the year but the month and day. Take irrigation for example. It has been said that the first test well was drilled in 1910; he says that a group of business men took the train for Portales in August of 1910 to see their first irrigation well. They saw plenty of water - a deluge had just fallen when the train pulled into Portales at noon - but finally they saw the well in operation during the afternoon. A group of 40 each contributed $100 to finance the test well dug by D. L. McDonald, and the first well finally was dug in 1911.
"I believe I am the last one of those 40 men still living," the 94 year old pioneer declared.
Born in Russ [Rusk?] County, Texas, on Aug. 4, 1869, F. H. Oberthier started west at the age of seventeen traveling in two covered wagons with his parents to Comanche County. He soon started reading "The Comanche Chief" which he still reads regularly. He was married there to Miss Amanda Holmesley on Jan. 10, 1894.
In 1901 Oberthier bought some land in Castro County and eventually owned 10 sections there. It was when his ranch foreman Lint Merritt was ready to leave that he decided to come to Hereford to look after his ranching interests.
Oberthier probably is known best as the owner of the first plant to supply electric power to Hereford. Soon after coming here on May 1, 1908, he began the building of the plant. The town was "wired-up" and the power was turned on October 12, 1908. Electricity was produced by a steam plant, using slack coal shipped in from Colorado. The plant was located on the railroad right-of-way, and an office was maintained on the north side of the 100 block of West Third Street. He sold out to the forerunner of the Southwestern Public Service Company in April of 1925.
At first the plant was operated only a few hours a day. Of course local homemakers had to get used to the "luxury" power, and several learned the hard way. One woman was ironing when the power went off for the day. She left the iron sitting on the board and left home for a visit without thinking to unplug her new-found relief from the drudgery of heating "sad irons" on a coal stove. When the electricity came on, the iron - which of course was not automatic - burned through the board, dropped into the clothes basket underneath and set the house afire. Another woman left a bedspread in the electric washing machine when the current went off. When she returned from fishing on the Tierra Blanca, she found her beloved bedspread almost pulverized. The power had come on, and the machine had run. . . and run . . . and run.
The Oberthiers became members of the local Christian Church when they moved here. He served as a deacon a part of the time. He was a school trustee during the superintendency of Miss Millicent Griffith and at the time when Central School building was constructed in 1909.
Mrs. Oberthier was active in church and cultural circles; she was a member of the Bayview Study Club. She died here on Jan. 21, 1957.
They were parents of Fred (married Lois Maddux), manager of Southwestern Public Service, Clovis; Louise, who married Timothy Tinsley and after his death Wilbur Gaines, New York; Elizabeth, (Mrs. Dewey) Lawrence, Tyler; and Frances, who was married to Ted Houston, Sr., and after his death to V. O. Hennen, Hereford banker. She, too, has been active in Hereford social and civic circles and in the Episcopal Church here. (A History of Deaf Smith County, by Bessie Patterson, 1964 ; transcribed by Vicki Bryan)
PARKER, E. H. W.
E. H. W. Parker was born Feb. 9, 1842 in the State of Georgia and settled in Rusk county, Texas in December, 1851. Enlisted in company A, 17th Texas Cavalry, at Jamestown, Texas and served three and a half years in the Trans-Mississippi department with distinguished gallantry until the surrender in May 1865. He escaped when his command surrendered at Arkansas Post on January 11, 1863, but enough of his command escaped to make up eight companies in ite reorganizations, known as the 17the Texas Consolidated regiment. He participated in the following battles: Arkansas Post, Ark., Mansfield, Pleasant Hill, Marksville and Yellow Bayou, and was in the campaigns of his command until the surrender in May 1865. In July 1863, young Parker was made ensign of his regiment and gallantly carried the flag to the close of the war. He now has in his possession the same flag and proposes to hand it down to his children when he is called to the final roll call on high. Rev. Parker a prominent Baptist minister and has served many important charges with piety and great ability. In January 25, 1866, he was married to Miss M.A. Little, whose father died at Little Rock, Ark., in 1862. He has three children. Wm. H. Parker of the Cotton Belt is a son. [Texans Who Wore the Gray, Volume I; by Sid S. Johnson - Transcribed by Cheryl Quinn.)
Conducting a general practice of law in Henderson, Stone Wells is one of the well-beloved members of his community and one of its foremost contributors to the welfare of the people here.
Mr. Wells was born March 3, 1911, in Jacksonville, Texas, son of Homer H. and Margie (Stone) Wells. His father, born in Rusk County, Texas, on November 20, 1882, was a cotton gin operator and a farmer, as well as a widely known Democrat. The mother was also a native of Rusk County, born February 24, 1883.
The public schools of Lufkin, Texas, provided the early education of Stone Wells, who was graduated from high school in Lufkin in 1928 and then attended Baylor University Law School, where he took the degree of Bachelor of Laws in 1933. He was active in athletics in Baylor: football, basket ball and was on championship team in 1932; also was active as captain of baseball team. On May 31, 1933, he was admitted to the bar of Texas, at once starting his practice of law at Henderson in partnership with Clifford L. Stone under the firm name of Stone and Wells. They have offices in the Arnold Building, in Henderson, and are widely known throughout this whole district of Texas. He was elected criminal district attorney of Rusk County in 1936, and is the youngest criminal district attorney in Texas at this time.
In addition to his other activities, Mr. Wells is a staunch Democrat. He is a leader in party affairs, and also has many affiliations in social and civic circles. He is a member of Shawnee Lodge No. 13 of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, and served as noble grand for two years. He also belongs to the Free and Accepted Masons. He is president of the Lions' Club, of Henderson; the Henderson Country Club; and the Rusk County and Texas State Bar associations. He worships the faith of the First Baptist Church.
At Henderson, Texas, Stone Wells married Rebecca Craig, the ceremony taking place on January 18, 1935. She was born April 20, 1915, in Rusk County, Texas, daughter of George and Molly (Williams) Craig. Their one son, William Eugene Wells, was born November 29, 1935, in Henderson. [Richardson, T. C.; "East Texas : its History and its Makers"; New York: Lewis Historical Pub. Co., 1940]
WHITE, DR WILLIAM PRESTON
Throughout his medical career of more than fifty years, Dr. William Preston White has practiced at Henderson, and in his long period of service to the people of this locality, has endeared himself to the many with whom he has come in contact both professionally and in business and civic life. He was born in Rusk County, October 17, 1863, the son of John H. and Louisa (Pace) White. John H. White, born in Edgefield, South Carolina, in 1810 was engaged there as a farmer and merchant until 1854, when he moved to Rusk County, Texas, where he followed the farming industry until his death, March 25, 1891. His wife, born in Macon, Georgia, in 1832, died May 28, 1892.
Dr. William Preston White attended the Rocky Mount public schools and later studied at the Summer Hill Select School in Omen, Texas. He next entered Jefferson Medical College in Philadelphia, and after receiving his degree of Doctor of Medicine in 1886, came to Henderson to begin a practice which has been marked with great success throughout a notable career of fifty-two years. Dr. White is a member of the staff of Henderson Hospital, and in the financial field he is president and a director of the First National Bank, member of the board of trustees at the College of Marshall and president of the Federal Loan Association of Henderson. He helped to organize and served as first president of Rusk County Medical Society and is past president of South Texas Medical Society. He is a member of the Baptist church, and formerly chairman of the board of deacons, has served continuously for sixteen years for Henderson Independent School District, and was chairman of the Board of Medical Examiners for 12th Judicial District. He is affiliated with Clinton Lodge, No. 23, Free and Accepted Masons, Royal Arch Chapter of Masons and Lions Club, and is a charter member, one of the organizers of the Chamber of Commerce, and has served for many years as a director of this body. He also maintains membership in the County, State and American Medical associations.
He was married (first), October 13, 1886, to Blanche Bradford, of Overton, Texas, daughter of Dr. and Mrs. W. M. Bradford. Mrs. White died in 1925, and Dr. White remarried in October, 1926, Ida Chamberlain of Henderson, daughter of H. B. and Sue (Francis) Chamberlain. [Richardson, T. C.; "East Texas : its History and its Makers"; New York: Lewis Historical Pub. Co., 1940]
WOLFE, CHARLES L.
Carrying on an extensive legal practice in Henderson, Charles L. Wolfe is a member of the firm of Brachfield and Wolfe.
Mr. Wolfe was born April 21, 1902, in Henderson, Texas, son of Henry and Lena Wolfe. His father, a native of Germany, was long a successful business man. He was a staunch Democrat and died in 1928. The mother was born in Henderson. The public schools of Henderson, his Texas birthplace, provided the early education of Charles L. Wolfe, who completed his high school studies with the class of 1919, then attended Rice Institute and Houston Law School, taking the degree of Bachelor of Laws in 1928. In that same year he started his active practice, and now is a member of the firm of Brachfield and Wolfe, as noted above, his partner being Judge Charles L. Brachfield.
Politically he is a member of the Democratic party, and he belongs to the Henderson Chamber of Commerce. In the Free and Accepted Masons he belongs to the Henderson Lodge, the Royal Arch Chapter and the Council of Royal and Select Masters. He is also president of the Henderson Country Club a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, and an active worker in the Rusk County Bar Association, the Texas State Bar Association and the American Bar Association. He worships in the Jewish faith. [Richardson, T. C.; "East Texas : its History and its Makers"; New York: Lewis Historical Pub. Co., 1940]
WOOD, J. MARCUS
Following an extended and varied business career in this State, J. Marcus Wood became associated with the Gulf Oil Company in 1921 and has since served as distributor of all its products in Gregg County. He is well known throughout this section and in the life of Longview, where he makes his home. Mr. Wood was born in Kilgore, Texas, December 16, 1889, a son of Sam Houston and Laura F. (Thompson) Wood, and a grandson of James Wood, a native of Tennessee, who settled in Rusk County, Texas, in the middle 1850s. His father, who was born in Rusk County in 1860 and died on December 12, 1922, was a merchant at Kilgore and served for a number of years as justice of the peace in that community. The mother, Laura F. (Thompson) Wood, a native of Texas, was also born in Rusk County, in 1862, and was the daughter of Mathis Thompson of Alabama, who settled in Rusk County in the 1840s. She died April 21, 1923.
J. Marcus Wood was educated in the public schools of Kilgore and alter leaving high school began his career with the Pacific Express Company. He was employed by this organization from 1907 to 1916, filling various positions and rising gradually as he demonstrated his capacities. In 1916 he joined the Texas and Pacific Railroad Company and during the following five years served as chief clerk and cashier and in other office positions. In this way he broadened his background of business experience. In 1921 he was offered and accepted the position as representative of the Gulf Oil Company in Gregg County and during the intervening years has served as distributor for all Gulf products in the county.
Mr. Wood, whose activities center in Longview, is also a director of the Texas Mutual Reserve Life Insurance Company of Tyler. He has been prominent in the life of his own community both as a business and civic leader, serving as president of the Chamber of Commerce and the Rotary Club and playing an influential part in other community enterprises. He is a director of Sabine Neches River Conservation Association, appointed by Governor Allred, and a director of Texas Good Roads Association. A Democrat in politics, he has also been a member of the Longview School Board for fourteen years. Mr. Wood is active in the Masonic Order, in which he is affiliated with the higher bodies of the York Rite, including the Royal Arch Chapter and the Commandery of the Knights Templar, and with Moslah Temple, Ancient Arabic Order Nobles of the Mystic Shrine at Fort Worth. He is a member, in addition, of the Knights of Pythias and a member and director of the Pine Crest Country Club. He is a Methodist in religious faith and has served for twenty-three years as a steward of his church. Mr. Wood is married and has four children, all born in Longview : Laura Virginia attended Baylor Belton College; she married C. E. Ellsworth, and resides in this community, and Jane, Emily and Evelyn Wood. [Richardson, T. C.; "East Texas : its History and its Makers"; New York: Lewis Historical Pub. Co., 1940]
WORNEL, DAVY CROCKETT
It was back in the Royal Blue Blooded, Blue Grass State of Kentucky that William R. Wornel, father of the subject of this sketch, was born. He was small of stature, and like all thoroughbred Kentuckians, was fond of fine horses, and many years of his life were devoted to the race track as a jockey. He was married to Miss Judith Middleton in the Blue Grass county of Maury, Middle Tennessee, and they were the parents of fourteen children, seven of whom were born in that county. They later lived in Marshall county, Mississippi, for a short time, and in the fall of 1836 the family started for Texas. It was "while on the way" that the subject of this sketch, D. C. Wornel, was born, March 30, 1837. The family first settled at St. Augustine, in East Texas, which was at that time much inhabited and raided by the Indians. They later settled near the town of New Salem, which territory afterwards became Rusk county, all the while farming. In 1852-3 John M. and D. C. Wornel, the two older sons, preceded the family into this territory, then Navarro county, and purchased 640 acres of what is today the finest black land in Hill county, and most of which is now owned by D. C. Wornel, located five miles southwest of Hillsboro, and on which he makes his home. The brothers also brought with them a stock of goods from New Salem by ox wagon, and were the first to sell merchandise in this county at Lexington, Hillsboro not being in existence at that time. At the beginning of the civil war Mr. Wornel enlisted here in Hillsboro in Co. D., 19th Texas Cavalry, which afterwards distinguished itself so eminently on the roll of honor for its effective service in Missouri, Louisiana, Arkansas and Texas, and remained in the thickest of the fight until peace had been declared. Mr. Wornel was the first constable elected in Hill county, in precinct No. 1, in 1857. He was from the beginning completely in the confidence of the people, who afterwards showered upon him many official honors, covering a period of something like fifty-five years. During the approach of the civil war he was deputy under his brother, John M., who was also in the Confederate army, and was sheriff of Hill county following the close of the same, since which time he has served as justice of the peace, tax collector, deputy tax assessor, deputy sheriff and county treasurer. On Oct. 24, 1860, just before the civil war, he was married to Miss America Glass, of Miller county, Texas, and together they have shared their lot of sunshine and shadow for the past fifty-two years. It is a little remarkable that they and all their three children are now living. Retracing to the family's advent into this territory in 1855, the mother died in August of that year and the father died in 1864. Mr. Wornel has been a Mason since 1866, is a K. of P. and, an elder in the Church of Christ. He has always aided in local development, the betterment of labor and the condition and advantages of the farmers, and as one of the most prominent old settlers and Confederate soldiers does all he can to make the meetings of these organizations pleasant and profitable, though he is now in his seventy-fifth year and active. Throughout his long career as a public official and as a citizen Mr. Wornel has never betrayed a trust at the hands of a friend or the public, and coming now to the sunset of his useful life he is not only respected but loved as are but few men in Hill county. His life has been a success and is an example for young men to follow. [Source: Past History and Present Stage of Development of Texas, published by Forrister History Company, Chicago (1912) - Transcribed by Helen Coughlin)
WYNNE, JESSE W.
Jesse W. Wynne, of Memphis, Tenn., was born in Mississippi in 1839, and when quite young came with his parents, Robert E. and Sarah Watkins Wynne, to the Republic of Texas, locating in the town of Henderson in Rusk county. He began there his business career in the store of Hon. James Flanagan, who was afterward United States Senator. He was in charge of a branch store for Mr. Flanagan when the war began in 1861. In May of that year he enlisted as a private in Company B, Third Texas Cavalry, and fought in the battle of Wilson's Creek, Missouri, and other engagements. In less than a year he was promoted to a second lieutenancy, and participated in the battles and skirmishes around Elk Horn under Gen. Price. Thirteen months after his enlistment he was made a captain, commanding a company on the battlefields of Farmington Iuka, Corinth, Resaca, Kennesaw Mountain, and Atlanta. He was in many other engagements, including those of Ross' Texas Brigade during Hood's campaign in Tennessee. He was wounded in the head at Wilson's Creek and in the arm at Resaca. He was captured at Jonesboro, but played a coup on his captors, with the assistance of Adjutant Gregg of his regiment, seizing the guards and turning them over to Confederate guards. After the war Captain Wynne settled in Arkansas, and for thirty-three years the firm of Wynne, Dennis & Beck was one of the largest concerns in Eastern Arkansas. In 1899 he removed to Memphis, Tenn., and associated himself with W. E. Love, under the firm name of Wynne, Love & Co., one of the leading cotton and commission firms of that city. He retired from active connection with the firm in 1900, on account of failing health, and spent nearly six years in traveling over the United States. He was married in 1869 at Holly Springs, Mississippi, to Miss Wynne, a distant relative, and she and three sons, Hugh R., J. E. and J. W. Wynne, Jr., survive him. He took a great interest in the organization of the United Confederate Veterans, and was aid-de-camp with rank of major on the staff of the commander of the Texas Brigade, Forest's Cavalry Corps. Captain Wynne was a bright Mason. He died May 2, 1907, at Memphis, and was buried at Holly Springs, Mississippi, two days later. [Source: Texans Who Wore the Gray, Volume I, by Sid S. Johnson - Transcribed by Sharon Witt)