We regret that we are unable to
perform personal research for anybody.
During the early 1840s settlement of the area proceeded rapidly, and in 1846 the First Legislature of the state of Texas established Titus County, which included all of the territory of present-day Morris and Franklin counties. The county was named for Andrew Jackson Titus, an early Red River County settler. Mount Pleasant was established as the county seat.
With the outbreak of the Civil War, support for the Confederacy in the county was nearly unanimous. Some local historians have claimed that 1,500 Titus County men served either in Confederate or state units during the war. The end of the Civil War brought sweeping changes in the county's economic foundations.
The Tyler Tap Railroad crossed the county in 1878. The East Line and Red River had built across the southeast corner in 1876. In 1913 an independent line, the Paris and Mount Pleasant, was completed. For more than seventy years after the Civil War, Titus County remained predominantly rural, with an economy based on agricultural products. The county's dependence on agriculture was even more pronounced following the demarcation of Franklin
and Morris counties in 1875, a move that reduced the county to its present size and boundaries. [Excerpted from: Cecil Harper, Jr., "TITUS COUNTY," Handbook of Texas Online Published by the Texas State Historical Association.]
Cities and Towns
Miller's Cove -- Mount Pleasant -- Talco -- Winfield