ALFRED PATTEN BUCHANAN, M. D.
Throughout his medical career of thirty-two years, Dr. Alfred Patten Buchanan has maintained offices in his native city, Mineola, and in addition to his extensive general practice he has done considerable railroad and industrial work in this locality. He was born March 23, 1882, the son of John C., deceased, and Rosa (Patten) Buchanan. John C. Buchanan, a native of Rusk County was a practicing attorney in Mineola, and a prominent figure in the official life of this city. He served as a member of the Texas State Senate, at which time he drafted the bill that created the University of Texas. His untimely death in 1885, at the age of thirty-five years, when he held the office of district attorney, was the occasion of genuine sorrow among the local citizenry, who realized in his sudden demise, the loss of a most able lawyer, a conscientious public official and a civic leader of unquestioned integrity. His wife, a native of Quitman, has already passed her eighty-third birthday, residing with her son, Alfred Patten Buchanan, M. D.
Dr. Alfred Patten Buchanan acquired his early education in the public schools of Mineola and Huntsville, and then entered Southwestern University at Georgetown, Texas, where he was a member of the class of 1898. He next entered Sam Houston Normal School at Huntsville, and later matriculated at Tulane University, where he was graduated in 1906 with a Doctor of Medicine degree. After fulfilling his State requirements he was licensed to practice his profession, and opened his offices in Mineola, where he has practiced to the present day, and where he has attained the reputation for highest proficiency in the practice of medicine, tending successfully to the physical ailments of a large clientele.
Dr. Buchanan is a member of the Methodist Episcopal church, and is prominently identified with the affairs of the Democratic party. He is now serving his third year as a member of the local school board. He is past president of the Wood County Medical Society, and also holds membership in the State Medical Society. He is a member of Alpha Kappa Kappa medical fraternity, and is well known in the Masonic Order, being affiliated with Lodge No. 502, Free and Accepted Masons, Chapter and Commandery, Knights Templar, Tyler Consistory, Ancient Accepted Scottish Rite and Hella Temple, Ancient Arabic Order Nobles of the Mystic Shrine at Dallas. He is also a golfing enthusiast, and is enrolled in membership in the Mineola Country Club. He was married, May 28, 1911, to Ethel Reitch, of Mineola, daughter of Charles and Parilee (Ansley) Reitch. Dr. and Mrs. Buchanan are the parents of two children: 1. Rosalie, born October 6, 1916, a graduate with the Bachelor of Arts degree, of the University of Texas, class of 1935, and now engaged as a school teacher at Troup. 2. Ann Patten, born January 27, 1927, now a student in the local schools. [Richardson, T. C.; "East Texas : its History and its Makers"; New York: Lewis Historical Pub. Co., 1940]
JOHN A. COX
John Alexander Cox, of Mineola, was a veteran of the army of Northern Virginia. Born in Lincoln county, Tenn., April 22, 1842, and removed to Texas in 1876 and settled in Wood county. Enlisted in Co. F. 1st Tennessee Confederate Regiment and went to Virginia and shared the hardships, fighting and privations of that army under Gen. Lee. He received several slight wounds and was made a prisoner at the battle of Gettysburg and sent to Fort Donelson. Surrendered with Lee's army at Appomattox. He has been married twice. First marriage was with Miss Fannie Lenard, and the second in the state of Arkansas to Miss Parolee Stafford. Mr. Cox is a prominent planter of Wood county, and noted for intelligence, push, energy and his great charity. He made a brave Confederate soldier and in the times of peace makes a first class citizen. Full of energy, genial and generous, he is a popular man in the community where he lives. Like all fighting men of the South, is a leader in everything that pertains to advancement and enlightenment of his people. Mr. Cox ranks in the front line among the best. [Source: "Texans Who Wore the Gray", Volume I, by Sid S. Johnson; Transcribed by Sharon Witt]
W. M. GILES
In the death of Captain Giles, which occurred at his home in Mineola, May 27, 1901, the East Texas bar lost one of its leading members and Wood county one of its most useful and beloved Citizens. He was born in Kemper county, Miss., January 12, 1841; removed to Texas in early life and settled in Wood county; engaged in merchandising, but unsuccessfully, and later studied law and was admitted to the bar, and entered upon a career for which he was eminently fitted by inclination and natural talents and in which industry and skill brought success and reputation, and his unbending probity added luster to a noble profession at which malice and ignorance have made it a rule to level poisoned shafts of detraction. The writer knew him well and possessed and valued its worth the honor of his friendship. The Wood County Democrat, of June 6, 1901 (published during an Old Settlers Reunion), contains an article on the deceased in which the following estimate of his character is given: It may be truly said of him, that he was a man without guile or deceit, for in him were founded all the essential elements which go to make an honest, upright and christian man. [Source: Yearbook for Texas, Caldwell Walton Raines; Gammel Book Co. (1902) Transcribed by: Richard Ramos]
C. H. Haines, whose death occurred at his home at Hainesville, Wood county, Saturday night, March 23, 1901, was for fifty years a respected citizen of that county, long known to and valued as a friend by the writer. Colonel Haines was born in Davidson county, North Carolina, and descended from German ancestors who first settled in Pennsylvania and later moved to and established themselves in North Carolina in the latter part of the seventeenth century. When twenty-three years of age he went from North Carolina to Shreveport, Louisiana, where he spent a year, and then moved, in December, 1851, to Wood county, Texas, where he thereafter continuously resided. After working at the carpenter's trade for a while, and later clerking, he engaged in the mercantile business at Quitman with his brother, George Haines, who had accompanied him to Texas. August 2, 1854, he married Miss Elizabeth Varner, daughter of the Martin Varner who came to Texas first in 1816 and later (as one of Austin's colonists) in 1821, participated in the battle of San Jacinto, and was one of the first settlers in the territory now comprised in Wood county. Colonel Haines' wife and two children (Mrs. J. M. Puckett and Frank Haines) survive him. He was elected justice of the peace in 1858, and county treasurer in 1860, filled both offices with credit, and later served as a member of the county commissioners court several terms. In 1862 he settled the place, eight miles east of Mineola, where in 1894 he founded the village of Hainesville. There he established a large store and fine trade (assisted by his son) and spent the remaining years of his life. He was a member of the M. E. Church, South, and Masonic fraternity. [Source: Year Book for Texas; Caldwell Walton Raines; Gammel Book Company (1902)]
Matthew Thomas Hall was born in 1832 in Wilmington, North Carolina and came to Pike County, Alabama when a small child. He bore an honorable part in the battles of Murphresboro, Chickamauga, Resaca, Kennesaw Mountain, Peach Tree Creek, Atlanta, besides a number of other battles until the close of the Civil War. In 1866 he moved to Hunt County, Texas and around 1882 moved to Mineola. They had one son, Isaac. Daughters were Ellen, Willie, Bess, Oma, and Annie. He was the great-grandfather of Henry, Edward, and Clara Bogan, also of the Ellis children, the Turman children, and the Harris children. ["History of Mineola" by Lucille Jones; 1973]
James D. Harris married Oma Hall, daughter of M.T. Hall. Mr. Harris was from Quitman and worked for years in the First National Bank. Their sons are: James D. Harris, Jr., of Denver, Colorado, and Virgil Byron (Buddy) of Dallas. Mrs. Harris was pianist at the First Baptist Church for a long time. ["History of Mineola" by Lucille Jones; 1973]
BARNEY HART FAMILY
Barney B. Hart came here with his parents as an infant from Atlanta, Georgia, in the 1850's. When he was old enough to attend school he was sent to a private school at Gilmer, Texas. He served for a short time in the Civil War. He received his law degree from Lebanon, Tennessee, and was in partnership with James Steven Hogg, the one-time governor of Texas, while Mr. Hogg resided in Mineola. Also at one time, Mr. Hart was with Mr. John C. Buchanan, at one time State representative. Hart was a lawyer of renown, the profession he followed until his death. Barney B. Hart's first marriage was to Ruth Greer, one son was born to this union, Virgil, who became a lawyer. Mr. Hart lost his wife while still a young man. Hart's second marriage was to Mary Beulah of Point, Texas. She passed away early in their marriage. His next marriage was to Mrs. Mary Jones Noble. Dr. S. Cloud Noble was her son by a former marriage. He attended the school of dentistry in Chicago, Illinois, then returned to Mineola where he practiced dentistry until his death. He was married to Molly Williams. They in turn had two daughters, Marguerite and Mary Jane. To Mr. Hart's third marriage were born two children, a son who died at the early age of 12, and a daughter, Polly Ruth, that vivacious little girl they had longed for for so long. Polly has retained that jolly spirit throughout these years. She is married to Dr. T.H. Peterson from Oklahoma City. He was just out of medical school and came here to practice medicine with Dr. Buchanan, when he met Polly - that lively, charming young lady. They were soon married and have lived happily ever after in the Hart's old home place where Polly has lived all her life. The Petersons have one daughter, Marilyn, who is married to Dr. Donald R. Andrews. They have two boys, Donald R. Jr. and John Peterson. The family resides in Tyler, where the doctor practices optometry. Both Polly and her daughter Marilyn attended Ward Belmont School for girls in Nashville, Tennessee. Dr. V.T. Hart, Barney B.'s brother and V.T.'s son, Dr. Sam Hart, both were graduates of Tulane Medical College in New Orleans, La. They each returned to practice medicine in Mineola and are buried in the city cemetery. Dr. V.T. Hart's daughter, Rosa Hart, married Rev. A.A. Duncan, a young fellow fresh out of college, who came here as pastor of the First Baptist Church from 1895 to 1903. It has been said, "He literally had to carry a gun to the pulpit." ["History of Mineola" by Lucille Jones; 1973]
J.H. HEARD FAMILY
J.H. Heard and Miss Beulah Adams were married in 1889 at Crockett. Texas, but they moved here from Palestine, Texas. They had two daughters, Vivian and Bessie (Mrs. J.P. English, referred to in the William G. English Family record). Mr. Heard was the Texaco Agent for nineteen years or until his death. At one time he operated a dray and grocery store near his home, with his daughters helping him when they were needed. Mr. Heard was a Deacon of the First Baptist Church, a place he served almost 60 years. ["History of Mineola" by Lucille Jones; 1973]
W. R.(B0B) HIGGINS
Miles and Miles of Grass
"Miles and miles of grama grass waving in the breeze and very few fences," is the way Bob Higgins like to remember the plains as he found them when he came to deaf Smith County from Wilbarger County in 1898.
Young Bob Higgins, just 19 years old, had a good look at a part of that prairie before he finally reached the ranch homes of his uncles, Uncle Summy and Uncle Billy Higgins, in about the center of the county. He had come by train to Amarillo then rode with the mail carrier in a buggy to the north-east edge of Deaf Smith County. He walked the remaining 20 miles to his uncles' ranches.
Bob went to work as a cowboy for his uncles and later worked in the same role under Ira Aten on the Escarbada Division of the XIT.
He filed on a section of land 12 miles north-west of Hereford. His son, A. B. (Hap) Higgins, still owns that section. Indicative of their respect for the prairies is that 500 acres of the section still is in native grass.
Bob Higgins was married to Ada Wood from Quitman, Tex., in 1907. She had come to Castro County to teach, and another Deaf Smith cowboy persuaded a pretty young teach to become a future rancher's wife. She taught for a year at the Ward school house.
W. R. (Bob) Higgins was born Aug. 8, 1878, in Tennessee and came to Texas with his parents, Mr. and Mrs. George T. Higgins, when he was about five years old. They settled near Vernon. His parents later came to Deaf Smith County and settled in the Ward Community.
A. B. (Hap) Higgins was born in Hereford on Jan. 20, 1911. He lived at the ranch home, 12 miles north-west of town, until he built a house a mile and a quarter east of the home place. He followed his father's footsteps in farming and ranching. His children are the only grand-children of Bob Higgins. They are Lu Anne, Janis, Robert Arthur, and George Mike, all of the home.
G. T. Higgins, born at the ranch on May 20, 1913, also became a farmer and rancher. He lives on a ranch in Powell Butte, Oregon. The prairie lakes are among his most pleasant memories of Deaf Smith County.
"They had water I them the year around," he said. "In summer they would be covered with ducks. The ducks would lay eggs and hatch around the edges. I have seen the banks literally covered with little ducks just hatched."
He compares the leisurely time of his youth very favorably with the hustle and bustle of modern living:
"The people I knew as a kid, which was still in the day of the horse and wagon, also the Model T Ford, seemed to be much more deliberate. Time and distance didn't seem to bother them much. They just didn't seem to hurry or get in a fizz. I don't remember of ever hearing of someone having an ulcer." (A History of Deaf Smith County, by Bessie Patterson, 1964 - Transcribed by Linda McDonald)
Miss Ima Hogg, in her nineties, is the daughter of our one time governor, Jim Hogg. Ima was born in Mineola, Texas on July 10, 1882. Her father was district attorney of the 7th District with his command post in Mineola when Ima was born. ["History of Mineola" by Lucille Jones; 1973]
JAMES STEVENS HOGG
Governor James Stevens Hogg is still admired by Texans. Many men and one woman have occupied the mahogany office in the State Capitol Building in Austin, but Governor Hogg was the first native Texan to hold that office. Governor Hogg at one time lived and had his law office in Mineola, the first of its kind in the city. There is a historical marker near the Henry Hotel to that effect. B.B. Hart, Polly Peterson's father, was his law partner at one time. James S. Hogg was elected attorney of Wood County District in 1879. He married Miss Sallie Stinson of Quitman in 1874. A park serves as a memorial to his memory in Quitman. There is a memorial to his daughter, Ima, a museum which the historical society established. The Stinson Home has been moved to the Hogg Park in Quitman. Ben Pegues Sr., Constable, walked close with Jas. S. Hogg when he served as County Attorney of Wood County in 1873. Ben was the father of Henry Gait Pegues Sr., of this city in the early 1900's. ["History of Mineola" by Lucille Jones; 1973]
Henry Landers and his mother were two of the early settlers in Wood County in 1859. They came with their slaves and bought 1500 acres of land, in the Andrew-Hamilton Survey, which now is known as the "Little Addition," E.L. Adkins subdivision, in the north part of town. ["History of Mineola" by Lucille Jones; 1973]
According to an abstract dated January 1869 there were three one hundred acre tracts of land adjoining the town of Golden, which became the Lankford homestead. Collier Lankford came from Tennessee to Texas as a soldier in the Mexican War. He and his wife, Mary Adeline Ask were of Scotch ancestry. They settled in Cherokee County, Texas, and moved to Golden, Texas before there was a railroad. Nine children were born to them: Dallas Lankford Sr., Josie, James Knox, Polk Lankford, John R., Collier, Frank M. Lafayette, Mollie, and Lisa B.
Mr. Collier was a minister of the Church of Christ, a veteran of the Mexican War and a soldier of the Confederate Army. Members of the family of Andrew L. Lankford, who was the son of J.K.P. Lankford and Greer L. are James K.P. Jr., Harold, Ship L., and Andrew Lipscomb.
Collier Lankford is the grandfather of Dallas Jr., who is now residing in Mineola. Dallas married Gladys Strickland, a teacher here. Their children were Dallas III and Giles, who was killed in an airplane accident several years ago. Dallas III became a Methodist minister; Giles had one son, Larry. Dallas Lankford Jr., had two brothers, Will and Harry, and one sister, Mrs. Jewel Lankford Smith, wife of Paul D. Smith. They had one son, Paul Jr.
Adeline Lankford married Gene Bright of Mineola. They operate the Fine Arts Studio downtown. Their children are Beverly Jean and Gary Curtis Bright. ["History of Mineola" by Lucille Jones; 1973]
A. J. LIPSCOMB
Here Before The County
A. J. Lipscomb came to the area from Wood County, Tex., in 1888 and filed on land here before Deaf Smith County was organized. His first home here was a dugout 10 miles south-east of La Plata. He traveled to Amarillo by train and came to his claim by wagon and team.
Lipscomb was born in March 29, 1866 and was married to Allie Greer in Wood County in 1893. When they moved to Deaf Smith County in April, 1896, they brought their two sons, Walter D., who had been born Jul. 18, 1894, and Jim, born Feb. 1, 1896. The older boy died on Dec. 16, 1897. A third son, W. A. (Bill) was born here March16, 1898.
Allie Greer Lipscomb died in 1899 and was the second burial in West Park Cemetery. A. J. Lipscomb was married to Alma C. Carlock in 1907. He died in 1944 and she in 1946.
J. R. (Jim) Lipscomb went to live with their grandparents after his mother's death. He returned to Deaf Smith County to live with his father in 1909. During his first school year he attended school in the frame building while he watched the construction of the brick Central School building. Although the building was delayed by a bricklayers' strike, it was ready for occupancy at the opening of the school term in 1910.
Jim Lipscomb was married to Susie Lackey, daughter of Mrs. Dora Lackey Suggs (see G. W. Suggs Family), on Feb. 11, 1918. They farmed 12 miles north-west of town until Lipscomb was appointed post-master here July 25, 1939. He retired from the office on March 1, 1958, and continues to maintain his home and farming interests here.
Bill Lipscomb was married to Lucille Bangs. They live in Oklahoma City. (A History of Deaf Smith County, by Bessie Patterson, 1964 - Transcribed by Richard Ramos)
MCDONALD, W. J.
The noted Captain of Company B., Texas, Frontier Battalion, who has rendered invaluable service to the state in bringing criminals to justice, stamping out lawlessness and protecting life and property in thinly settled portions of the west, was born in Kemper County, Mississippi, September 28, 1852; when eleven years of age ran off from home to join the Confederate army and made his way to his lather, Major Enoch McDonald, of the 40th Mississippi, in camp at Meridian, Miss., but was promptly sent back to his mother; came to Texas with his widowed mother in 1866, who located with her children near Henderson, in Rusk County; from 1866 to 1871 worked part of each year on the farm and during the remaining months attended country schools; entered Soule Commercial College, at New Orleans, and graduated from that institution in 1872; taught a writing school at Henderson during the year 1873; during 1874 merchandised and ran a ferry at Brown's Bluff, on the Sabine river, six miles south of Longview; moved to Mineola, Wood County, in 1876 and merchandised there until about 1881; embarked in the cattle business, in Wichita County in 1883; a year later sold his cattle interests there and established and ran a lumber business at Wichita Falls * until the summer of 1886, and then opened a ranch in Hardeman County, since which time he has been a cattle-raiser and acquired sufficient property to place him in comparatively easy circumstances, but for the failure in wheat crops caused by drought. His parents were Major Enoch and Mrs. Eunice (Durham) Mc Donald. His father was killed in action while commanding the 40th Mississippi regiment at the battle of Corinth. His mother died at Wichita Falls in 1885. Captain McDonald and sister, Mary T. now Mrs. McCauley of Wichita Falls, are the only ones of a family of six children that now survive.
In 1880 Captain McDonald became deputy sheriff of Wood County and while serving in that capacity went to Smith comity to effect, if possible, the arrest of Jim and Ed Bean. Jim had previously been arrested by the Sheriff of Smith County but afterwards escaped and became a terror to the people of Sabine bottom, stealing from and robbing them and resisting officer had shot and seriously wounded B. F. Pegues, a deputy sheriff of Van Zandt County, with a shot gun because the latter refused to obey his command when ordered to stand back and allow him to pass unmolested along a country road, and had but recently returned from Kansas where he had killed a city marshal. Captain McDonald soon came upon the Beans and a few desperate negroes, who were with them, and in the fight that ensued shot and badly wounded Jim Bean, who, however, managed to get away and was shortly thereafter killed by officers in Wise County. For this shooting McDonald was about to be indicted on the technical point of being out of his County, whereupon District Attorney (and afterwards Attorney General and Governor) Jas. S. Hogg told the grand jury that if any indictment was found he would [being then district attorney for the County in which the fight occurred] nolle pros, the case.
Mineola being a railroad terminus many "hard cases" congregated there from time to time, but none of them proved "hard" enough to prevent McDonald from arresting, disarming and jailing them.
After moving to Hardeman County he was ordered away by thieves who then infested that portion of the country, but instead of leaving, filed complaints against them and in 1887, when made deputy sheriff of the County, helped arrest and send many of them to the penitentiary. While engaged in this work he had numerous fights and wounded several lawless characters.
When Hon. Jas. S. Hogg was elected Governor he appointed McDonald captain of Company B., Frontier Battalion, since which time he has been in the ranger service. For two years prior to receiving this appointment he was a deputy United States marshal for the northern district of Texas, Kansas and the Indian Territory and was the first deputy marshal who ever got out of "No-Man's Land" with thieves and murderers under arrest. He arrested and brought from that region over one hundred of them. As captain of the rangers he waded the Wichita River in February 1896, and overhauled and arrested the desperadoes who had killed the cashier of the bank at Wichita Falls, and wounded several of the officers of the bank in a successful effort to rob the same. Captain McDonald recovered for the bank the money so stolen. The bank robbers were subsequently hanged by the outraged citizens of that place, after the rangers had left the town.
In September 1893 McClure, one of McDonald's men, arrested Toe Beckham, absconding sheriff of Motley County, then under indictment for being short in his accounts, and while on his way back with his prisoner passed through Childress County. John P. Matthews, sheriff of Childress County, attempted to take the prisoner away from McClure. but was stood off by the ranger who delivered his man in jail at Matador, Motley County. Three months later Matthews and three other men went to Quanah and there sought a fight with McDonald, in which the ranger captain was shot through the lungs and both shoulders, but, nevertheless, killed Matthews.
Captain McDonald was united in marriage to Miss Roda Isabella Carter, daughter of Judge E. G. Carter of Wood County, at Mineola in January 1876.
He is a member of the Cumberland Presbyterian church, I.O.O.F., Knights of Pythias and Masonic fraternities; having in Masonry taken the Blue Lodge, Chapter, Knight Templar and Shriner degrees,
He has always been a Democrat, has attended County, district and state conventions since 1870, and has been an unswerving supporter of Democratic principles and nominees.
He is slightly above medium height, of slender build, wears a light sandy mustache, has gray eyes, is quiet and modest in demeanor and in social life is a genial and engaging companion and true friend. (Source: Texas State Government: A Volume of Biographical Sketches and Passing Comment, E. H. Loughery, McLeod & Jackson, 1897 - Transcribed by sd )
HON. ROBERT N. STAFFORD, MINEOLA.
It is a pleasure to the writer to devote a page of this initial volume of what he hopes will prove an interesting and historically valuable series, to placing on record a few facts concerning a valued friend whose talents as a lawyer, ability as a legislature, and genuine patriotism he sincerely admires. Robert N. Stafford was born in Upson county, Georgia, November 6, 1856, the son of a family distinguished for its worth. Graduating from Emory College, Oxford, Georgia, in July, 1876, he came to Texas in the autumn of that year, and in 1877 taught school at Douglasville with Maj. J. H. Granberry. In the spring of 1878 he went to Quitman and there taught school and read law until the early part of 1879, at which time he stood a creditable examination in the district court and was admitted to the bar. His good qualities had become very generally known and he was put forward for and elected County Attorney in 1880, and in 1886 and 1888 was elected District Attorney. He was Master Chancery for the I. & G. N. Ry. Co. in 1891 and 1892; was a delegate to the National Democratic Convention in 1892, and was elected to the State Senate in 1894 and re-elected in 1898. His services as State Senator have extended over the sessions of the Twenty-forth, Twenty-fifth, Twenty-sixth and Twenty-seventh Legislatures. January 11, 1899, he was elected by a unanimous vote President Pro Tem. of the Senate of the Twenty-sixth Legislature. May 25th following, when the Legislature was on the eve of adjourning, Senators Potter and McGee offered a set of resolutions that were adopted without a dissenting vote, and of which the following constituted a part: Be it resolved, That the thanks of the Senate are hereby extended the President of the Senate, Lieutenant-Governor Browning, and to the President Pro Tem., Senator Stafford, for the marked ability and fairness with which they have presided over the Senate during the session and for the kindness and impartiality with which they have treated Senators. In the Senate, May 16, 1899, Senator Hanger, being recognized, yielded the floor to Assistant Journal Clerk Thomas H Napier, who, on behalf of the officers and employes of the Senate, presented an elegant gold-headed cane to Mr. Stafford, as a testimonial of esteem, making an excellent complimentary address to which Mr. Stafford suitably replied. During the sessions of the Twentyseventh Legislature Senator Stafford was Chairman of Judiciary Committee No. 1, one of the most important, if not the most important, of the standing committees. Upon entering the Legislature he at once took rank as a man of solid learning, purity of motive, and well-defined convictions on questions that arose for consideration, and from the vantage ground of such a position he labored effectively for sound and needed legislation and added not a few laurels to his fame. Lieutenant-Governor Browning appointed him one of the two Senators on the legislative committee created by joint resolution of the Twenty-seventh Legislature to investigate the various State departments and institutions. A fitting tribute, this, to his ability and moral courage! Senator Stafford is married and has an interesting family. He is a member of the M.E. Church, South, and of the Masonic and Knights of Pythias fraternities. His term as Senator from the Seventh District (Smith, Rains, Van Zandt, Gregg and Upshur counties) expires this year (1902). And indications now point to his re-nomination as Senator without opposition by the Democratic party, and his assured election at the polls. [Source: Year Book for Texas; Caldwell Walton Raines; Gammel Book Company (1902)]
STAFFORD, ROBT. N.
Senator from the Seventh Senatorial District, composed of Smith, Wood, Raines, Van Zandt, Gregg and Upshur Counties, was born in Upson County, Ga., November 6, 1856.
He was the second of two sons born to James H. and Martha S. (Moreland) Stafford. His father died at Covington, Ga., in 1879, and his mother at Mineola, Texas, in 1892. Of his brothers (graduate, like himself of Emory College, Oxford, Ga.) Revs. James A. and Isaac T. Stafford are prominent ministers of the M. E. Church, South, and Benjamin A. Stafford, a leading teacher in this state.
Senator Stafford graduated from Emory College in the class of 1876 with the degree of Bachelor of Arts; moved to Texas in the fall of that year; taught school in Cass County in 1877, and in Titus County in 1878; read law, and in the spring of 1879 was admitted to the bar in Wood County and has since been actively engaged in practice at Mineola, where he is at present a member of the law firm of Giles, Stafford & Harris.
He was County Attorney of Wood County from 1880 to 1882 District Attorney of the Tyler district from 1884 to 1888, inclusive, and in 1894 was elected to the State Senate from the Seventh Senatorial district
In the Twenty-fourth Legislature he was Chairman of the committee on Private Land Claims, and a member of the following committees: Judiciary No. 1, Judicial Districts, Penitentiaries, Towns and City Corporations, Public Lands, Federal Relations, Privileges and Elections, General Land Office, and Rules, and at the present session is Chairman of Judiciary Committee No. 2, and a member of the following Senate Committees: Public Lands, Judicial Districts, State Affairs, Treasurer's and Comptroller's Offices, and Private Land Claims.
He was married to Miss Ella Read, daughter of Judge R. N. Read, of Mineola, December 20, 1882 and has four children: Moreland Read, Chilton Finley, Maud and Robert N.
Senator Stafford is a member of the M E. Church, South, and Masonic and Knights of Pythias fraternities.
He has attended county, district and congressional conventions, and all State Democratic conventions, held since 1880; was a delegate to the national Democratic convention held at Chicago in 1892, and has, besides thoroughly canvassing his immediate district, delivered speeches in many other counties of the state during various campaigns in the interest of Democracy. He was confined at his home by sickness until one month after the opening of the Twenty-fifth Legislature; but, on entering the Senate, was an earnest, active, supporter of all administration measures.
At the present session he favors all the platform demands of the Democratic Party and has introduced several important bills in compliance therewith. (Source: Texas State Government: A Volume of Biographical Sketches and Passing Comment, E. H. Loughery, McLeod & Jackson, 1897 - Transcribed by sd )
STOUT FAMILY BIOGRAPHY
Henry Stout was born in Weakley County, Tennessee in 1799, the son of John and Mary Stout. The family moved to Illinois, St. Clair County, near Ciouga (Transcriber's note: this is probably "Cahokia"), where Henry's brother, William B., was born in 1808. Henry walked from Illinois to Washington, Hempstead County, Arkansas (then Missouri Territory) arriving on May 15, 1817, when he met and married Sarah Talbot, and his son James Selon (Celand) was born August 30, 1818. The next year Henry, with his wife and infant son riding on a horse, with a sack of parched corn and a blanket tied on behind them, walked with his rifle and knife as his only weapons or tools from Arkansas to Nacogdoches, Texas. There was no trail to follow and no human habitation for 50 miles either side of the trail he took. His only guide was the stars, and they never met a human the whole trip until they reached the Burkham settlement in 1819. Soon he left here and traveled North and at the old salt works on Little River; found a man named Jim Clark, who had several hands hired to boil down the water to make salt. Clark hired Stout to keep the workmen in provisions by shooting, bears, buffalo, deer and turkey.
Mr. Pat B. Clark a. grandson of Jim Clark, in his book about Old Red River County published by Mathis, Van Nort & Co., Dallas, cc1937 told of one of Henry's expeditions. In the early days the settlers depended largely on the bear for fat to be used for cooking purposes. Stout told me, the writer, that he often killed bears for the settlement that would render up thirty to forty gallons of fat.
He also told me of a bear hunt which took place in the cane brake on Red River at Ward's lake about where Riverview is now, and below Bryarly. The cane was so rank and dense that a man could not ride through it on a horse; however, the bears had made trails through the cane and there were quite a number of them in there. Stout came home from a trip and being out of powder and lead, and the settlement out of meat, took his bear dogs and his hunting knife, and went to the cane brake to kill bear. He started his bear dogs into the brake and then hid behind a large tree, by which the bear trail passed, and waited for the bear to pass. One soon came out, and knowing the nature of the animal reached with his knife over the bears back and stabbed it to the heart on the side furtherest from him. The bear struck, as he knew he would, on the side from which it was wounded. Stout stepped back behind a tree and his game soon bled to death in the trail.
Another bear hunt by a group of early settlers was told in this same book. Henry Stout, James Burkham, Isaiah D. Lowson, Sr., John Stile and Eli Hopkins went to Red River on a bear hunt. After camping on the river for a few days, they decided to move several miles down stream. Lowson, Stiles and Hopkins were to take the horses around through the trails in the forest while Burkham and Stout would go down the river in a skiff. It was a very cold, drizzly evening in winter. While Burkham was directing the skiff, Stout watched on the bank for signs of game. At the root of a large tree that had washed down the river and lodged against the bank, Stout saw a large bear. Taking aim he fired, but the bullet merely grazed the head of the bear which looked all around and seeing the men in the skiff made a lunge for them before Stout could reload his gun, the beast had reached the skiff and was climbing in, Stout, a powerful man physically, struck the bear a terrific blow with the barrell of his rifle, but instead of killing the bear, the wooden stock of the gun broke and the barrell fell to the bottom of the stream. The blow, however, kept the bear from entering the skiff. Jumping into the water on the opposite side of the skiff from the bear, Stout pulled his Bowie Knife and, standing in the water shoulder deep, reached over the skiff and struck at the bear with such force that the knife missed the mark. His wrist struck the sharp edge of the skiff and his arm was temporarily paralyzed, the knife dropping into the water. Paying no attention to Burkham who was in the skiff with nothing but a paddle, the beast climbed over the boat after Stout. It was then up to Stout to do some very rapid thinking, so while the bear was climbing over the skiff he dived under it, staying under the boat as long as he could, swimming upstream. In this manner he gained some little advantage of the bear. The bear then had to swim upstream after him, while Stout could stand on the bottom of the stream the bear had to swim against the current. Having lost both his rifle and knife Stout had nothing to defend himself with except a pocket knife with only one blade and it broken, by this time the dogs which were with the party on land heard the calls of Stout and Burkham and came to their rescue. As the bear would come in reach, Stout would strike the side of its throat with the broken knife and at the same time the dogs would dig him in the ribs. The bear would have to turn and fight the dogs. These operations were repeated until the other party arrived after hearing the noise, and Hopkins shot the bear. Stout then set to work to find the pieces of his broken rifle and knife. Finding the stock had broken in such a way that it left the hammer and trigger intact. Stout having a wonderful grip, could use the rifle as a man would a pistol, killed two bears with it later. Stout later told Dr. Pat B. Clark, while this fight was going on, the wind changed to the North and came with such a force that he thought he would freeze to death in his wet clothes before he could start a fire.
From about the year 1818 Henry Stout camped at the forks of the Delaware Creek. A tribe of Delaware Indians were also camped there. Ten or eleven years later James Clark Came in to start a town. It was said that Henry Stout and James Clark tossed a coin, a 50 cent piece, to see who the town would be named after. Clark won and Stout sold him his land moved on. It is evident by the records that Clarksville stood for about 4 years on unappropriated land. Henry Stout came to the land office in 1838 and proved to the commissioners that he was entitled to one league and a labor of land where Clarksville was situated. M. W. Matthews, James Latimere and David Lane constituted the Board that granted Stout his land certificate. On the 5th day of July following the issuance of the certificate Stout conveyed his certificate to Mrs. Inabella H. Clark, thus settling for all time the vexing boundry and local jurisdictional question. The land certificate which Mrs. Inabella H. Clark received from Henry Stout was located on (3700 acres) 20 and a fraction labors of land, which included the town of Clarksville. From here Henry Stout moved on to land on Cuthand Creek, which land he sold in 1886, long after he had moved to his farm in Wood County.
Stout was an adventurer, explorer,Indian fighter, and veteran of the Texas Revolution, Captain of the Texas Rangers, frontier peace officer, legislator, wagon train operator (between Jefferson and the Wood County area) and through it all a farmer who operated a farm and grist mill on Stouts Creek in Wood County. The Stouts and Clarks remained close friends down through the years. Henry Stout, with his family settled at Pecan Point, Red River County in 1819, three years before the famous 300 families of Stephen F. Austin spread out along the Brazos. He sold 200 bushels of corn to Frank Hopkins for which Hopkins County is named. He accompanied Eli Hopkins and others on hunting and trading expeditions up Red River to the West for years.
He went with David Crockett on his first buffalo hunt some 100 miles to the west of Red River settlements in 1835, and helped Crockett plan his last journey, the route to the Alamo. He served with Captain William Becknells' Company of General Thomas J. Rusks' cavalry Brigade. In his service as Captain of the Texas Rangers he ranged the frontier of the Red River settlements from Cross Timbers on the west to Soda Lake on the east, building a number of stockades for protection of the settlers from Indians, who occupied all of the country south of the north fork of the Sulphur and west of the eastern tier of counties as far south as the Sabine River. In this service he was a Captain with General Edward Tarrant of Bowie County when the Indians were driven out of this area opening it to the white settlers. He was seriously wounded on this mission in the same engagement in which Captain John B. Denton was killed. They were on a scouting expedition when they were ambushed by Comanche Indians. The same volley that killed Mr. Denton, shot the flint lock off of Henry Stout's rifle and with his left arm shattered, he withdrew both his own and Denton's Companies and returned them to the main command. This was in 1841.
He was the first sheriff of Wood County and in this capacity helped hold the first court session in Wood County. The men used logs as seats and drove stakes into the ground and placed a board split from a log on the stakes and placed a block of wood behind this board for Judge Lamuel Dale Evans to use as a judges stand, out under the massive forest of Oak trees that stood, like giants on the square. The first officers of Wood County were County Clerk, Ambrose Fitzgerald, Sheriff Henry Stout, County Treasurer, H. H. Norton, County Surveyor, C. L. Stanley, Tax Assessor, Gilbert Yarbrought,Commissioner #1, W. N. Rice, #2 Daniel Center, #3 Pete Rozell, #4 P. M. Gunstream, Justice of peace #1 J. R. Lacy, #2 J. O. Clark, #3 Robert Duncan, #4 P. M. Gunstream, Henry Stout served as representative from Wood and Van Zandt Counties to the sixth legislature in the regular session, November 5, 1855 to Feb. 4, 1856, adj session July 7, 1856 under Governor F. Y. Pease.
Henry Stout was a typical pioneer and frontiersman, a. sort of Daniel Boone,adventurer and explorer. He was a quiet, gentle dispositioned man, very friendly, but a man of tremendous physical strength. He was quite a wrestler and would banteringly say that Christ had not died for the man who could put his shoulders to the ground. While he was a member of the legislature he brought the first bermuda grass seed from Austin to
Wood County and planted it on his farm. He was buried on top of a hill overlooking the bermuda grass he had planted, at the age of 93.
He served as a 2nd Lieut. in Captain John W. Wilsons' Company in the 3rd Regiment, TC, CMDG. Col M. F. Locke, TST, TR.CSA. Enlisted at Camp Flournoy near Quitman, Sept. 1861.
His oldest son James Selon (Celand) Stout served with him in the Texas Rangers and as a Sgt. Co. F 9th. Texas Infantry Volunteers under Co. Overton C. Young and Captain J. A. Leftwich, also known as the 8th Texas Inf. General Sam Bell and Maxeys Regiment Texas Inf. at camp Rusk in Lamar County, Oct. 12, 1861 (Bright Star Texas). He was on the muster at Shiloah where he was wounded April 6, 1862 and at Corinth, Miss. May 11, 1862 where he was discharged after suffering from severe piles and chronic diarrhea for three months, he was paid $17 per month while serving in this company. He was described as being 6' 2 1/2" tall with dark complexion, black hair and blue eyes. Henry Stout had four wives (1) Sarah Talbott, (2) widow of Buckner Smith, (3) Martha Davis, and (4) a widow Ray. He was the father of many children.
SARAH TALBOTT STOUT was born near Cahokia, St. Clair County, Ill. in 1801. She came to Washington in Hempstead County Arkansas about 1816 where she married Henry Stout in Oct. or Nov. 1817, and where her first child, James Selon was born Aug. 30, 1818. With her infant son in her arms, she and her husband came through the wilderness from Washington, Ark. to Nacogdoches, Texas, with Sarah and baby riding on a mule named Molly, and Henry walking. They had only a blanket, a sack of parched corn, a rifle and a knife. They were at least 50 miles from human habitation the entire trip and suffered many hardships before arriving at their destination. Sarah was considered as a very good botanic (herb) doctor and spent much of her time caring for sick neighbors and friends. Her granddaughter, daughter of her own daughter, Betty Stout and John Stuart Richey, became seriously ill with a contagious disease. Sarah treated the child, contracted the disease and died in time to be buried in the same grave with the child in an unmarked grave between the graves of her son James Selon(Celand) and his wife Elvira Richey Stout in the cemetery at Pine Forester, Como as it is now called. [Compiled by Mrs. James Skinner - SUBMITTED BY LINDA JORDAN and published in "The Mesquite Tree" quarterly, vol. 20, no 1 - Transcribed by K. Torp]
© Copyright by GenealogyTrails