to Texas Genealogy Trails!
*Volunteers dedicated to putting free data
County Website is available for adoption.
If interested in joining our group, view our
Volunteer Information Page.
[Basic webpage design knowledge and a desire to transcribe data is
We hope you will be able to help this site grow by sending in
your data submissions.
Gonzales Court House
Gonzales County, named for the capital
of Green DeWitt's colony, was established in 1836 and organized in
1837 as one of the original counties in the Republic of Texas.
After the annexation of Texas to the United States in 1845, portions
of Gonzales County were detached to form what are now the counties of
Caldwell, Comal, DeWitt, Fayette, Guadalupe, Jackson, Lavaca, and
On December 14, 1837, the first
Gonzales county court was organized, with B. D. McClure as chief
justice. The settlers of DeWitt's colony obtained land grants and
patents in the fertile black land valleys of the Guadalupe and San
Marcos rivers and along the major creeks, including Plum Creek (now in
Caldwell County), Rocky Creek (now in Lavaca County), Peach Creek
(named Arroyo de los Theodolites before Anglo settlement), Sandy Fork,
and Sandies and Salt creeks.
This county is west of the Colorado,
and was settled in the early history of Texas. There are extensive
deposits of iron and coal in this county. The distance from
Gonzales to Port Lavaca is 75 miles. The lands of this county are
fertile and easily cultivated. A recent writer says of the land
on Peach Creek, in that county: — "It is as fertile as the
river valleys, and has the immense advantage of sustaining
drought with less injury to the crops; last year (1856),
notwithstanding the unprecedented drought, the yield of corn averaged
from twenty to forty bushels. The Scenery is beautiful, of the
description known as rolling prairies. The long slopes are covered
with thick, soft grass, and crowned with groves of noble live oaks and
other trees; building-stone is found in abundance throughout the
county, and the numerous little brooks of clear running water afford
every advantage for stock. Sheep are raised in considerable numbers,
and are healthy and very profitable. Hogs, likewise, are abundant and
thrifty, and increase rapidly. This desirable region is rapidly
filling up with intelligent and substantial men; people of means,
liberality, and enterprise, who will take much interest in building up
churches and schools, to meet the increasing necessities of the
country. It will be well for emigrants with "capital to take a
look at this county. [By D. E. E. BRAMAN,1857, submitted by
Cities and towns
Caldwell County (northwest)
to the State of Texas Website
© Copyright 2015 by Genealogy Trails with full
rights reserved for original submitters.