Gonzales was named for Raphael Gonzales; bounded north by Guadalupe, Caldwell and Fayette, cast by Lavaca, south by Dewitt and west by Karnes and Wilson. Gonzales, the county seat, is 65 miles from San Antonio. It has four leagues of land lying on the Guadalupe River, given to the corporation August 25th, 1832. In 1825, Green Dewitt, Francis Berry, James Kerr, Henry S. Brown and others, commenced a settlement near where the town now stands, but were driven off by the Indians. The town was laid out and a permanent settlement effected in 1832.
At this point in 1835, occurred the first skirmish of the Texas Revolution. The Mexican authorities had given the citizens a cannon; Col. Ugartechea, in command at San Antonio, sent to remove the piece to that city. The citizens resisted, and seizing the gun, advanced upon Castanado, the Mexican officer, and he hastily retreated to San Antonio. The county has a large quantity of good land, is well watered, and has plenty of timber for fencing purposes. Harwood, a station on the Sunset Route, is in the northern portion of the county.
Population in 1870, 8,951; assessed value of property in 1876, $2,792,929. This county has a large body of very rich bottomlands in the Guadalupe, San Marcos and Peach creek bottoms. These rivers afford an abundance of water and timber. There are some sulphur springs, and salt springs from which salt has been made. Cotton is the leading product, and a bale to the acre is a common product in good seasons. All the products of other counties are common to this, except that the cereals do not succeed as well as in the counties further north. Tobacco is raised for home use, and succeeds well.
A Pictorial History of Texas: From The Earliest Visits of European Adventures to A.D. 1883 by Homer S. Thrall 1885