Welcome to Texas Genealogy Trails!
*Volunteers dedicated to putting free data online.*
This Gonzales County Website is available for adoption.
If interested in joining our group, view our
Volunteer Information Page.
[Basic webpage design knowledge and a desire to transcribe data is required]
We hope you will be able to help this site grow by sending in
your data submissions.
Gonzales Court House
Gonzales County, named for the capital of Green DeWitt's colony, was established in 1836 and organized in 1837 as one of the original counties in the Republic of Texas. After the annexation of Texas to the United States in 1845, portions of Gonzales County were detached to form what are now the counties of Caldwell, Comal, DeWitt, Fayette, Guadalupe, Jackson, Lavaca, and Victoria.
On December 14, 1837, the first Gonzales county court was organized, with B. D. McClure as chief justice. The settlers of DeWitt's colony obtained land grants and patents in the fertile black land valleys of the Guadalupe and San Marcos rivers and along the major creeks, including Plum Creek (now in Caldwell County), Rocky Creek (now in Lavaca County), Peach Creek (named Arroyo de los Theodolites before Anglo settlement), Sandy Fork, and Sandies and Salt creeks.
This county is west of the Colorado, and was settled in the early history of Texas. There are extensive deposits of iron and coal in this county. The distance from Gonzales to Port Lavaca is 75 miles. The lands of this county are fertile and easily cultivated. A recent writer says of the land on Peach Creek, in that county: — "It is as fertile as the river valleys, and has the immense advantage of sustaining drought with less injury to the crops; last year (1856), notwithstanding the unprecedented drought, the yield of corn averaged from twenty to forty bushels. The Scenery is beautiful, of the description known as rolling prairies. The long slopes are covered with thick, soft grass, and crowned with groves of noble live oaks and other trees; building-stone is found in abundance throughout the county, and the numerous little brooks of clear running water afford every advantage for stock. Sheep are raised in considerable numbers, and are healthy and very profitable. Hogs, likewise, are abundant and thrifty, and increase rapidly. This desirable region is rapidly filling up with intelligent and substantial men; people of means, liberality, and enterprise, who will take much interest in building up churches and schools, to meet the increasing necessities of the country. It will be well for emigrants with "capital to take a look at this county. [By D. E. E. BRAMAN,1857, submitted by Candi H]
Cities and towns
May 2017: County Records: 1900 Fugitives from Justice
Fayette County (northeast)
Lavaca County (east)
Dewitt County (southeast)
Karnes County (southwest)
Wilson County (southwest)
Guadalupe County (west)
Caldwell County (northwest)
Back to the State of Texas Website
© Copyright 2017 by Genealogy Trails with full rights reserved for original submitters.