Welcome to Texas Genealogy Trails!
*Volunteers dedicated to putting free data online.*
This ROCKWALL County Website is available for adoption.
If interested in joining our group, view our
Volunteer Information Page.
[Basic webpage design knowledge and a desire to transcribe data is required]
We hope you will be able to help this site grow by sending in
your data submissions.
Rockwall County Court House
The smallest county in the state, with an area only about one-sixth of the average county division in the eastern half of the state, Rockwall is a highly developed agricultural country, consisting of high rolling prairies with the black waxy soil predominating. One of the characteristics is the abundant springs of living water, and the county seat Town of Rockwall has a flowing artesian well. As the county adjoins Dallas County on the east, the development has been promoted by reason of the proximity to a large market, and in addition to the staple crops, the raising of fruit, vegetables, poultry and other specialized branches of farming is becoming more important each year.
Until 1873 Rockwall County was a part of Kaufman County, and was detached and organized at that time. One of the first settlements planted in the county was by the Heath family in 1846. The entire country was then a wilderness, and practically on the border line of civilization in northern Texas. About half a dozen other families settled in the same vicinity in the same year. The first post office ever established in what is now Rockwall County was kept at the Heath cabin and was known as Black Hill. The office was maintained under that name from 1849 until transferred to the new town of Rockwall in 1855. At the Heath settlement a small village grew up, still known under that name, and situated on the east fork of the Trinity River, which is the chief stream in Rockwall County.
At the first census after the organization of Rockwall County, 1880, the population was 2,984; in 1890, 5,972; in 1900, 8,531; and in 1910, 8,072. The negro population at the last census was 731, and this is one of the few counties in the state in which the negro population has increased during the last thirty years. About twenty-five years ago a branch of the Missouri, Kansas & Texas Railroad was constructed through the county from Dallas to Greenville, and that road furnishes the railroad transportation for the county. Previously the nearest railway station was on the Texas & Pacific to the south. The two chief towns are located on this road, Rockwall and Royse City. Rockwall in 1890 had a population of 843, in 1900 of 1,245, and in 1910, of 1,136. Royse City's population in 1890 was 299, in 1900, 503, and in 1910, 1,210. Other towns are Fate, Heath, Chisholm, McLendons and Munson.
June 2017: County Records: 1900 Fugitives from Justice
Collin County (north)
Hunt County (east)
Kaufman County (south)
Dallas County (west)
Back to the State of Texas Website
© Copyright 2017 by Genealogy Trails with full rights reserved for original submitters.