BAYLOR, R. E. B.
R. E. B. Baylor, of Independence, was born in the state of Kentucky in the year 1793. He had the prestige of a distinguished family. His father, Walker Baylor, commanded General Washington's life-guard at the battle of Germantown. His mother was Jane Bledsoe, sister of the celebrated Jesse Bledsoe of the Kentucky bar.
Col. R. E. B. Baylor himself had the advantage of a military record. He was with Gen. W. H. Harrison (afterwards president of the United States) in the Northwest, fought at the battle of the River Raisin, and was present at the death of Tecumseh. In the year 1819 he was a member of the Kentucky legislature, but soon thereafter removed to Tuscaloosa, Ala., where he soon attained fame as a lawyer. When Lafayette on his last tour of America visited Alabama young Baylor was of the reception committee that officially welcomed him to Catawba then the seat of the government. Gen. Lafayette was a warm friend of Col. Baylor's father during the Revolutionary war. In 1829 Col. Baylor was elected to Congress and made an enviable reputation in that body.
In 1839 he removed to the Republic of Texas, and from 1841 until the annexation of Texas to the union was a justice of the Supreme Court. He was a member of the Convention of 1845 that framed the first Constitution of the state. He was a judge of the court thereafter for many years and was also a minister of the gospel of the Baptist denomination. He died at his residence in Independence, Texas in December 1872, and the Baptists have perpetuated his name and fame by "Baylor University" called in his honor. Col. Baylor served the Confederacy in both the military and civil departments, and was devoted to the cause. (Texans Who Wore the Gray, by Sid S. Johnson Transcribed by: R. Ramos)
BROWN, THOMAS J.
Thomas J. Brown, of Sherman, the eminent Texas jurist, was born in Jasper county, Georgia, July 24, 1836, and came to Texas in the winter of 1845 with his parents, who resided in Washington County until 1858, when they removed to Limestone. The subject of this sketch was graduated in 1858 from the law department of Baylor University at Independence; was admitted to the bar by the supreme court of Texas, Jan. 5, 1859, and immediately thereafter engaged in the practice of his profession at McKinney, in Collin County.
When the war came in 1861 he entered the Confederate army as second lieutenant of Troop E of Col. Robert Taylor’s cavalry regiment, was later promoted to be Captain and rendered capable and gallant service. After the war he formed a partnership with Gov. J. W. Throckmorton, which continued until 1885. He removed to Sherman in 1872 where he has since resided. He represented Grayson county in the House of the 21st and 22nd legislatures. In August 1892, he was appointed district judge and elected to that position the following November.
In May 1893, Gov. Hogg appointed him chief justice of the court of civil appeals for the fifth supreme district, but before he qualified was made associate justice of the supreme court of Texas, and has by re-election held that position ever since. While in the legislature Judge Brown by his masterly advocacy of the railroad commission bill acquired a statewide reputation as a practical statesman, and during his fourteen years service as a Justice of the Supreme Court he has easily distinguished himself as one of the greatest jurists in the history of the state. He enjoys the confidence of the bar and the people. Judge Brown was married in Collin County, Aug. 7, 1859, to Miss Louisa T. Estis. Seven children have been born of this marriage, of whom four daughters are living. (Texans Who Wore the Gray, Volume I, by Sid S. Johnson; transcribed by Bobby Dobbins Title)
BUCHANAN, JAMES PAUL
James Paul Buchanan, a Representative from Texas; born in Midway, Orangeburg County, S.C., April 30, 1867; moved to Texas in 1867 with his parents, who settled near Chapel Hill, Washington County; attended the district school; graduated from the law department of the University of Texas, Austin, Tex.,1889; admitted to the bar; lawyer, private practice; justice of the peace of Washington County, Tex., 1889-1892; prosecuting attorney, 1892-1899; district attorney for the twenty-first judicial district of Texas, 1899-1906; member of the Texas state house of representatives, 1906-1913; elected as a Democrat to the Sixty-third Congress to fill the vacancy caused by the resignation of United States Representative Albert Sidney Burleson; reelected to the Sixty-fourth and to the eleven succeeding Congresses (April 15, 1913-February 22, 1937); chair, Committee on Appropriations (Seventy-third through Seventy-fifth Congresses); died on February 22, 1937, in Washington, D.C.; interment in Prairie Lea Cemetery, Brenham, Tex. (Biographical Directory of the United States Congress, 1771-Present. Contributed by A. Newell)
One of the ablest and best known lawyers of West Central Texas is Leigh Burleson, who was admitted to the bar in this state forty years ago, and since 1876 has had his home and professional and business relations with San Saba. While Mr. Burleson ranks as one of the pioneer residents and lawyers of San Saba County, his prestige does not consist entirely in this long security of position, but on his forceful ability in the every-day work of his profession, and out of the Tichness of his experience and his broad knowledge he has become one of the most successful members of the profession.
Leigh Burleson was born in Washington County, Texas, in 1847, and is a son of Richard and Sallie (Leigh) Burleson. The Burleson family in Texas is too well known to require extended comment. General Edward Burleson, a cousin of the San Saba lawyer's grandfather, succeeded Stephen Austin in command of the Texas army, at the siege of San Antonio, in 1835, and was subsequently eminent in the military and civil affairs of the Texas Republic. Burleson county was named in honor of that noted Texan. An uncle of Leigh Burleson was Dr. Rufus Burleson, famous as an educator, the founder and for many years president of Baylor University, at Waco. The present postmaster general in President Wilson's cabinet, Albert Ed. Burleson, is a grandson of the General Edward Burleson above mentioned. Richard and Sallie Burleson, parents of the San Saba lawyer, were natives of northern Alabama, settled in Texas in Washington county, during the pioneer days, and finally moved north to McLennan County.
Mr. Leigh Burleson was reared in McLennan County and from the common schools entered the old Waco University, subsequently Baylor University. After leaving college he studied law in the office of Coke, Herring, and Anderson, of Waco, one of the best known law firms of Texas, in their time. The first three years after his admission to the bar were spent in Waco, and in 1876 he moved to San Saba on account of failing health. Instead of practicing law, he lived the life of the out of doors, and owned and conducted a fine ranch at the mouth of Brady Creek, twenty miles west of San Saba. After getting fully restored in body and mind, he sold his ranch, and has since been continuously identified with his profession in San Saba.
Mr. Burleson, while devoting himself zealously to the law, has acquired numerous interests which are strictly outside his profession, and has never been known to neglect an opportunity to forward the material development of his favored section of the great Lone Star State. He took a leading part in the securing of adequate railroad facilities for San Saba county, and was attorney for the company, and otherwise instrumental in promoting the great projects undertaken by the San Saba River Irrigation Company, which was organized in 1909, succeeding a corporation which had undertaken the development of an irrigation and power plant on the San Saba River in 1892.
Mr. Burleson's wife before her marriage was Bee Moore. Her father, Woods Moore, was one of the pioneers of Bastrop County. Her brother, James Moore, is a prominent business man of Galveston, and the Moore family has long; been active in business and civic affairs in this state. The five children of Mr. and Mrs. Burleson are mentioned as follows: Russell Burleson, a banker at San Saba; Lieutenant Richard Burleson, a graduate of West Point, and serving with the rank of captain, in the United States army; Worth Burleson, a Waco business man; and Wade Burleson; and Mrs. Mary Leigh Price. (A History of Texas and Texans, Volume 3, Francis White Johnson, 1914 sd)
CRAWFORD, JOHN M.
CRAWFORD, HOWARD S.
John M. and Howard S. Crawford, both educators of note in northwest Texas until within a comparatively recent period, and now members of the real estate firm of Crawford & Crawford, of Childress, are sons of the late Dr. Augustus W. Crawford, who engaged in the practice of his profession and in farming for a period of over a quarter of a century, the family homestead being located in Ellis County about two miles southwest of Midlothian. The paternal grandfather, Samuel Crawford, was born in South Carolina in 1767, his father (great-grandfather of John M. and Howard S.), William Crawford, having been a Scotchman who had migrated to the north of Ireland. The Crawford's spread into Alabama and Georgia, and became prominent in the making of history for these states. One of the members of this branch of the family was Hon. William H. Crawford, United States Senator from Georgia, Minister to France, Secretary of War, Secretary of the Treasury and (1824) candidate for the presidency. He died in Elbert County , that state, in 1834. Samuel Crawford moved from South Carolina to Georgia , where, until the year of his death in 1839, he conducted a plantation by slave labor. He was noted for the humane treatment of his blacks, whom he treated more as members of his family than as employees. In politics he was a Whig, and in religion, an old-school Presbyterian. His wife (nee Mary H. Long) was also a native of South Carolina, born in 1778. Mr. and Mrs. Samuel Crawford were the parents of twelve children, of whom Augustus W. was the ninth. The paternal great-grandparents, William and Rebecca (Reed) Crawford, were natives of Ireland and South Carolina respectively, the former (as stated) being of Scotch ancestry. He was the owner of a flouring mill in South Carolina and, although exempt from service in the Revolutionary War, was killed by the Tories. Dr. Augustus W. Crawford was born in Georgia in 1826, and in 1844 moved with his mother to Alabama, where he remained with her for three years. He then returned to Georgia, attended Marietta Academy for three years, taught for seven years, and began the study of medicine with Dr. J. W. Wadkins, of Fayette, Alabama. After continuing under his tutelage for two years he took a course of lectures at Nashville University, graduated at an Atlanta institution and pursued a post-graduate course in New Orleans. In 1858 Dr. Crawford commenced practice at Fayetteville, Alabama, and within the succeeding eight years continued his professional labors in Brenham, Texas, and New London, Arkansas. In 1866 he returned to Texas and, after a short stay in Louisiana, located on the Ellis County farm near Midlothian, where he resided and practiced until his death in 1894. He was a fine type of the skilful, conscientious physician and the southern gentlemen. In 1867 Dr. Crawford married Miss Mary McHenry, an Alabama lady born in 1842, daughter of John V. and Keziah (Brown) McHenry, natives of Virginia and South Carolina. The third of their three sons, James F., is a resident of Helper, Utah. Dr. Crawford's widow is living in Childress with John M. Crawford. John M. Crawford, the eldest of the children, was born at Brenham , Texas , and was educated mainly at old Waxahachie College in Ellis County . He began teaching at an early age, and was engaged so successfully in that profession for a number of years that he became one of the best-known educators in northwest Texas. Teaching his first school in Ellis County, later he became President of the Literary and Scientific Institute at Italy; in 1890 resigned that position to assume charge of the public schools at Quanah, and in 1891 was appointed principal of the public schools at Childress, continuing thus for some three years. Professor Crawford then returned to Ellis County, where he had charge of the Midlothian school for another three years, and at the end of that period was elected President of the Southwestern Normal School at Italy. He remained in that capacity for six years, building up the school until it was a power in the cause of higher education throughout central Texas. On coming to Childress in 1891, Professor Crawford had made some investments and acquired various other interests which so bound him to the place that in 1903 he returned to the city to make it his permanent home. In that year he was again chosen superintendent of the city schools, and continued to ably conduct the public system of education for three years. He then resigned to devote his time exclusively to the real estate business already established by himself and brother. Outside the fields of education and business, Professor Crawford is also widely known and warmly admired for the leading part he has taken in establishing and promoting the plans of the Childress Y. M. C. A. Especially is the institution of the greatest ethical value and importance to the hundreds of railroad men who reside in Childress, which is the main division town of the Fort Worth & Denver Railroad and which contains large and growing shops. Mr. Crawford's wife was formerly Daisy Alexander, and their children are Margaret, Louis and John Henry Crawford. Howard S. Crawford was born at Mansfield, DeSoto parish, Louisiana , but was educated in Ellis County and chiefly at Waxahachie College . Like his brother, he first taught in that county, and in 1890 located at the same time being publisher and editor of the Chillicothe Clipper. Subsequently he was principal or superintendent of various schools in Texas, his entire career as an educator covering fifteen years and his last work in that field being conducted at Strawn, Palo Pinto County. In 1906 he located at Childress to join his brother in the real estate business and make the city his home. Howard S. Crawford is also prominent in the promotion of the Y. M. C. A., of which he is a director, and is a steward of the Methodist Church, with whose work his brother is prominently connected. The junior member of Crawford & Crawford is a trustee of the Childress Independent School District; a leading member of the local Board of Trade; secretary of the Childress Light & Ice Company; and secretary and treasurer of the Childress Compress Company. The wife of Howard S. Crawford was known, before marriage, as Miss John C. Cunningham, and on her mother's side is a member of the well known Reagor family, pioneers of Ellis County . The four children of their union are Fred a., Cathryn, John A. and Corrine. (History of Central and Western Texas, Vol. 1, Illustrated, Lewis Publishing Company (1911) transcribed by Vicki Bryan)
CURRY, Mrs. M. HETTY
The subject of this sketch, Mrs. M. Hetty Curry, relict of Judge Edwin Paxton Curry, was born in Brenham, Washington county, Texas, and has ever made her home in the historic place of her birth.
Mrs. Curry is the daughter of Henry K. and Juliette Shepard Harrison, and the granddaughter of Judge Jas. E. Shepard, an eminent lawyer in the legal annals of Texas. Both on paternal and maternal sides of her family, Mrs. Curry comes from a long line of distinguished ancestors, being related to the most prominent colonial families of Virginia and Kentucky, among them the Harrisons, McDowells, Armisteads, Shelbys and Marchfields.
Mrs. Curry is a member of the Daughters of the American Revolution, and is eligible to the Colonial .Dames, Daughters of the Confederacy, also, as lineal descendant of Elder Brewster, she is eligible to membership in the May Flower Association.
Mrs. Curry came into prominence through her work in the Texas Federation of Women's Clubs; her ability was early recognized, and she has held many positions of honor in this great organization.
She has labored in an earnest, straightforward manner for the good of clubdom, and is well qualified by birth, education and sound judgment to occupy the prominent position she holding the State. Having the rare faculty of expression and a quick understanding of her subject, added to a convincing and pleasing personality, she is a speaker of force and power.
She is an authority on all subjects pertaining to political science, and was for two years chairman of the Political Science Committee of the State Federation. In this capacity she issued a printed pamphlet of suggestive outline for club study. She wields a facile pen and often contributes to papers and periodicals.
Locally, in all things pertaining to the mental and moral growth of the town, she is a recognized leader. At present, Mrs. Curry is vice-president-at-large of the Texas Federation of Women's Clubs. (Texas Women’s Hall of Fame, edited by Sinclair Moreland, 1917 sd)
HEARD, Dr. THOMAS J.
Thomas J. Heard was born in Morgan County, Georgia, May 14, 1814. His father was Captain John Heard, a well-to-do planter and a soldier in the war of 1812, where he obtained his title by meritorious service. Captain John Heard was a son of William Heard, who was a native of Pittsylvania County, Virginia, born in 1750, and a volunteer in the American Revolution, being present at the capture of Cornwallis. He subsequently moved to Georgia, where the father of Thomas J. was born. Dr. Heard's mother bore the maiden name of Susan Fannin, and was also a native of Georgia, being a relative of the distinguished Texan patriot of that name.
Thomas J. Heard was reared in Morgan County, Georgia. His literary education was obtained in the schools of his native State, and his medical education at Transylvania University, at Lexington, Kentucky. He came to Texas soon after quitting college, arriving at old Washington, on the Brazos, in October, 1837. There he at once took up the practice of his profession, which he pursued with only casual interruption for a period of twenty years. At the time Dr. Heard settled at Washington, and for several years following, Washington county was regarded as the Goshen, of Texas, and it was the objective point of more than half of the intending settlers coming to the country. In consequence it became the seat of much wealth and boasted a better class of citizens than most of the other settlements.
The community, however, was not without its drawbacks, and among these were the rough characters common in those days and the troublesome red men who still lingered in dangerous proximity. In 1838 Dr. Heard volunteered, under Colonel James R. Cooke, to assist in repelling a threatened attack on the part of a band of marauding Indians, and with his command pursued the redskins up the Brazos to a point beyond where the city of Waco now stands. In 1841 he was a member of an expedition, organized under Colonel Nail, which pursued a band of Cherokees into the Red River Country, and during the same year he was a volunteer in two other expeditions set on foot for the purpose of running down thieving [sic] Mexicans who were then making frequent incursions on the settlers. When General Woll invaded the
country, in 1842, capturing and for a time holding San Antonio, he again entered the ranging service for the purpose of driving Woll's army beyond the Rio Grande. In September of the same year he was again a volunteer for the purpose of repelling an attempted Mexican invasion. Being young, vigorous and full of the martial spirit, the Doctor was always ready in those days for a chase after Indians or Mexicans, in the pursuit of whom no prospect of danger or hardship ever dampened his arder.
In 1857 Dr. Heard moved to Galveston, where a wider field in the rapidly developing condition of things in the Island City seemed to be opening for professional men. Here he turned his attention exclusively and energetically to his profession, which he pursued to better advantage and with greater success than he had theretofore done. During the war he was examining surgeon on the staff of General T. B. Howard, Confederate States service, spending his time in the coast country, mainly at Galveston and Houston.
Dr. Heard was at different times a teacher in both the Galveston Medical College and the Galveston Hospital Medical College, and once occupied the chair of therapeutics in the New Orleans Medical College, now Tulane University. He was one of the originators of the Texas State Medical Association; was its first president, and now holds an honorary membership in the same. He was made a Mason in Phoenix Lodge, No. 8, at Washington, Texas, in 1838, since which time he has held a membership in the fraternity, being now Past Grand Scribe of the Royal Arch chapter.
In politics Dr. Heard has been a life-long Democrat. He cast his first vote for President of the United States for Martin Van Buren, in 1836. He voted for General Houston for President of the Republic of Texas in 1841, and gave his support to that distinguished gentleman in every other contest where he was a candidate. Dr. Heard and General Houston were personal friends for a period of twenty-five years, and in company with Dr. Ashbel Smith, another of General Houston's warm personal friends, Dr. Heard was one of the last visitors to the General before his decease.
In 1839 Dr. Heard married Miss Frances A. Rucker, of Washington County, Texas, and the issue of this union has been one daughter, Mary R. Heard. (History of Texas, together with a biographical history of the cities of Houston and Galveston, etc., Chicago: Lewis Pub. Co., 1895. Transcribed by Genealogy Trails Team)
HONS, Dr. JOHN MORE
Dr. John More Hons was born in Washington County, Texas, October 5, 1851. His parents were Henry and E. J. Hons, respectively German and English. He was educated at the Bastrop Military Institute and Soule University , Washington county. He studied medicine at Union Hill, Washington county; with Drs. Petty and Richardson in 1867-8; attended lectures at the New Orleans school of medicine in 1868-9; at the University of Virginia in 1870; and at the University of Louisiana in 1870-71; was graduated M.D. from the latter institution in 1871.
Locating at Shelby, in Austin County, he begun the practice of medicine the next year; thence he removed to Fayetteville, Fayette County, in 1873. He practiced at this place two years; he then removed to Burton, in Washington County, where he has since resided. Dr. Hons is a member of the Board of Examiners of Fayette county. While doing a general practice he prefers surgery. He is surgeon of the Houston & Texas Central railroad, at Burton . Was married to Miss Jennie Turner, a daughter of Captain S.D. Turner, November 27, 1873, and again to Miss Sallie E., a daughter of W.N. Hendley, December 14, 1876. He has four children, three girls and one boy. The Doctor is in independent circumstances, and has a large practice. (Types of Successful Men of Texas by Lewis E. Daniell, Publ. 1890. Transcribed by Kim Mohler)
JOHNSON, FANNIN WOODYARD
The career of Fannin Woodyard Johnson, of Pecos City, corresponds very closely with the history of Central and Western Texas. He began his career on what was then the frontier in Coleman county about thirty years ago and gradually moved westward until he reached the valley of the Pecos. In this same thirty years is comprehended most of the history of this remarkable region, in which time its railroads have been constructed, its towns founded, and its vast ranges passed under the dominion of the stock farmer and agriculturist.
F. W. Johnson is probably the best known and most highly esteemed citizen of Pecos City. He has been characterized as “the whitest rich man on earth,” which seems to signify better than anything else the degree of esteem in which he is held in his home town.
He was born in 1851, near Brenham, Washington county, Texas, and is a member of a well known Texas family. His father, J. H. Johnson, came from Illinois to Texas in 1836, the year of Texan independence. He was a prosperous planter in Washington county and a man of much influence.
Fannin W. Johnson was reared on the home estate in Washington county, and lived there until he was twenty-two years old. He then became interested in the cattle business, and in 1876 moved his cattle outfit to the frontier in Coleman county. A little later he was in the sheep business in Nolan county, at a time when the sheep and wool industry was a very attractive one in Texas.
He has been identified with the Pecos country since 1886, in which year he again took up the range cattle industry. The open range still prevailed, there being hardly a fence in all western Texas. Mr. Johnson took up his residence at Pecos about the time the town was moved from its original location on the river to its present site about three miles west. W. D. Johnson and J. L. Johnson, his brothers, also cattlemen, came to Pecos about the same time, and the three have been associated more or less closely in business since that time. The two brothers. however, are no longer residents of Pecos, W. D. living in Kansas City and J. L. in Fort Worth. The Johnson Brothers’ ranch is one of the largest in western Texas, and also in the world, consisting of about twelve hundred sections of land in Winkler, Loving and Ward counties. The ranch headquarters are about thirty miles northeast of Pecos City. Among the most successful cattlemen of the state, the Johnsons have always possessed the enviable reputation of having acquired their wealth through honesty and fair dealing, and it is this character no doubt that has gained them such marked esteem among their fellow citizens.
F. W. Johnson is a member of the executive committee of the Texas Cattle Raisers’ Association. He is also president of the Pecos Commercial Club. In 1891 the Johnsons established the well known Pecos Valley Bank, in which they still own large interests, and of which F. W. Johnson is vice president. This bank is a landmark in the financial history of the Pecos valley. It was established when the development of the country was just beginning, and has continued a strong resource through a period which has been marked by depressions and by a general expansion of industry throughout this great scope of country.
Mr. Johnson and wife are among the leading members of the Baptist church at Pecos City. Mrs. Johnson is a native of Wharton county, Texas. Her maiden name was Zemula Day. (Source: A History of Central and Western Texas, Volume 1 by Capt. B. B. Paddock, Lewis Publishing Company, 1911)
McALPINE, WILLIAM K.
The subject of this brief sketch is of Scotch and English descent. His paternal grandfather, Malcolm McAlpine, and wife, nee Mary Smith, emigrated to America before the evolution and settled on the line of what are now Robertson and Cumberland Counties, North Carolina. They had eleven sons and one daughter, among the elder of whom was John, the father of William K. John McAlpine was born in North Carolina and there passed his entire life, being a farmer of small means but of industrious habits and good repute.
The mother of William K. McAlpine bore the maiden name of Susanna Anderson and was of English parentage, being a native of Georgetown district, South Carolina. John McAlpine died at a comparatively early age, leaving his widow with nine children to provide for, next to the youngest of whom was the subject of this sketch. He was born in Richmond county. North Carolina, in 1822, and was there reared, growing up on the farm and receiving very limited educational advantages. At the age of nineteen he started West to seek his fortune, his destination being the home of his paternal uncle, Dugald McAlpine, in Alabama. This uncle subsequently moving to Texas, William K. also came on to this State and took up his residence with him in Grimes County, in 1851. In April, 1853, William K. McAlpine married Miss Sarah J. Perry, a daughter of Dr. D. A. Perry, of Washington County, Texas, and settling on a farm in Washington county, was successfully engaged in agricultural pursuits until the opening of the war. When the call was made by his State for volunteers for the Confederate army he responded by enlisting in Company C, Twentieth (Ellmore's) Regiment of Infantry, of which he subsequently became Adjutant, and served in the defense of the coast country of Texas. He took part in the celebrated battle of Galveston. January 1, 1863, but with the exception of this engagement, saw but little active field service.
After the war, in the spring of 1867, Mr. McAlpine gathered together all his available means, and, moving to Galveston, he engaged in business as a cotton factor, and was so engaged until 1886, when, having accumulated a competency, he retired. During his business career of twenty years in this city, he established a reputation as a man of sound financial ability, having not only amassed some wealth for himself, but having helped to develop a number of Galveston's business enterprises, with some of which his name is still connected as director. Mr. McAlpine's life, so far as seeking "the bubble, reputation " is concerned, has been of the most unassuming nature. He has never held even the office of alderman of his ward, though by no means lacking in public spirit or proper appreciation of the duties of good citizenship. He simply has not cared for the honors of office, and, having always found his own business sufficiently remunerative to afford him proper means of support, with some surplus for investment, he has kept out of politics.
In 1885 Mr. McAlpine lost his wife, her death occurring at their home in Galveston. Her remains were buried in the old family burying-ground in Grimes County, where rest those of his mother, who came to Texas after the removal of her sons here, and died there in 1872. Mr McAlpine has one brother, John, and two uncles, Dugald and Malcolm McAlpine, also buried in Grimes county, and one brother, Franklin McAlpine, still living there,— all of whom came to Texas in the '50s, and settled in that county. His uncle, Dugald McAlpine, was a well-to-do and highly respected farmer of Grimes county for many years. Most of the paternal uncles of William K. McAlpine —ten in number— settled in Alabama and Mississippi early in this century, and there they subsequently lived and died, several of them serving in the frontier Indian wars, and one, Alexander, being with Jackson at New Orleans during the war of 1812-14.
Mr. McAlpine has raised a family of eight children, four daughters and four sons, most of them married and all residents of Texas, these being Mrs. J. H. Gibson, of Calvert; Mrs. Henry Sales, of Abilene; Mrs. W. J. Hughes, of Galveston; Mrs. J. M. Wagstaff, of Abilene; William A. and Dugald P., of Galveston; Angus, of Abilene; and Malcolm, of Galveston.
The religious connection of the family was originally with the Presbyterian Church, but by removal and intermarriage with those of other faiths representatives of the name are found in each of the churches,— Cumberland Presbyterian, Methodist, Baptist and Episcopalian.
Joining the Masonic fraternity, at Uniontown, Alabama, soon after attaining his majority, Mr. McAlpine has held a membership in the order for more than fifty years, and is now Past Grand High Priest of the Grand Royal Arch Chapter of Texas. (History of Texas, Together with a Biographical History of the Cities of Houston and Galveston, etc., Chicago: Lewis Pub. Co., 1895. Transcribed by Genealogy Trails staff KS)
MERCER, JOHN AUSTIN, M. D.
One of the most useful and estimable members of the medical profession in Chilton, is Dr. John Austin Mercer, who has resided in Falls county since 1895, and in that period of fifteen years has devoted himself to the practice of the medical profession. Dr. Mercer is bound in particular manner to the Lone Star state, for he is a native son, his birth having occurred at Chappell Hill, Washington county, July 14, 1862, and he is a son of Abner B. Mercer, a farmer, who settled in that county at the close of the Civil war. The father was born in the eastern part of North Carolina in 1826, but in childhood he was taken to Tennessee by his mother. It was here that he reached years of discretion, learning the science of agriculture and attending the public schools of the time, and it was also here that he laid the foundation of a household of his own by marriage. The subject's grandfather, Isaac Mercer, was buried in the old North State of the “Tarheels,” near the scenes of his activities as a planter and miller and owner of slaves. His forefathers are believed to have been colonial people of Irish blood and descent.
Abner B. Mercer married Miss Nancy Ann Robinson. She died at Chappell Hill, November 16, 1899, her age at the time of her demise being sixty-six years. Dr. Mercer was one of a family of five children, of whom the ensuing is an enumeration: Thomas A., of Chappell Hill; William M., of Anson, Texas; Dr. John A., of Chilton; Mary Ella, wife of John Chadwick, of Brenham, Texas; and Annie Helen, who married R. A. Heartfield, of Beaumont, Texas.
Dr. John A. Mercer obtained his literary training from the old Southwestern University established in Washington county, and then removed to Georgetown, where he matriculated in the A. and M. College, and was graduated from the institution in the year 1882. For a year after finishing school he must have had some idea of identifying himself with commerce, for he followed merchandising, but at the end of the twelvemonth began his preparation for the practice of medicine, reading in his home town with Drs. Blackburn and Thompson and attending lectures at the University of Louisville. He subsequently entered Tulane University at New Orleans and took a diploma from that institution in 1887. When fully equipped for the noble profession of which he has since become a valued exponent he opened his first office at Chappell Hill and practiced there for two years. He then located at San Felipe, Texas, and during his stay there took a post-graduate course at Tulane, and when he resumed practice it was at Chilton in 1895. He is a member of the McLennan and Falls County Medical Societies and of the Texas State Medical Association.
Dr. Mercer married, in Falls county, on December 24, 1893, Miss Lora Lee McCullough, a daughter of Frank McCullough and a niece of Captain McCullough, who was widely known as a settler and a citizen in the vicinity of Mooreville at an early day. Mrs. Mercer was born in Missouri, and she is the mother of a son, Vandal D., born in 1895.
Dr. Mercer is well known for his faith in Democratic principles, contributing of his time and energy toward party success, but aspires to no public place himself. He belongs to no order or organization. He has some connection with the agricultural interests of the state as a landholder, his properties being in Moore county, Texas. (Source: A History of Central and Western Texas, Volume 2, by Capt. B. B. Paddock, Lewis Publishing Company, 1911)
MILLER, ROBERT F., MD
One of the leading specialists of the Southwest is Dr. Robert Finney Miller of San Antonio, whose skill in the treatment of diseases of the eye, ear and throat has made him universally recognized by the profession and the general public. The specialist is as necessary a factor to medicine as medicine to mankind, and to him the practitioner must look when the necessary knowledge and skill are demanded for the utmost proficiency in the treatment of one particular subject of the broad range of medical and surgical science. Paradoxical as the statement may seem, some of the foremost men of the profession are those who, contracting their scope of activities, have thus broadened their field of usefulness by an undivided attention to a related group of organs or to one particular disease. Dr. Miller, who comes of an old American family and one that was early identified with Texas, began his career as a physician twenty years ago, and for a number of years has confined his work to the special branches above mentioned.
Robert Finney Miller was born at Gay Hill, Washington County, Texas, in 1866. His family lineage is easily traced back to the early colonial period in American history. His father was the Rev. James Weston -Miller, 1). D., who was born in Erie county, Pennsylvania, in 1815, and was of Scotch and Puritan ancestry, including the families of Weston, Winston, Cady, Coggsuell. Lincoln, Delanoy, Alden, Standish, Dunham, Rogers, liarlow, Soule, Grant, and others. He was a first honor graduate of Jefferson College, Canousburg, Pennsylvania, in the class of 1840, and came as a missionary to what is now the First Presbyterian church of Houston, Texas, in 1844, during the closing days of the Republic, and was installed as pastor in 1847, that being the first installation ceremony of its kind in the state. After coming to Texas, he became prominent in all of the educational efforts of the Presbyterian church. He often had President Sam Houston and his wife in his congregation at Houston. He became a charter member of the board of trustees of Austin College when that institution was founded, at Huntsville, and later was elected president of the college for a year during the Civil war. He rode horseback several hundred miles, to Austin, to obtain the first college charter. He was twice moderator of the Synod of Texas, and also an original member of the same. Three years after his public installation as pastor at Houston failing health caused him to remove to Washington county, where he established the Live Oak Female Seminary, and continued to conduct it successfully until his death in 1888. Reverend Miller married first Elizabeth McKinnon, who died in 1850. He afterwards married Elizabeth Scott Stewart, daughter of William and Mary (Cummins) Stewart. Both mother and daughter were born in an old home in Brooke county, Virginia (now West Virginia), in a district made famous as the seat of Bethany College, founded by Alexander Campbell. That house was built in 1783 by Robert Cummins, her grandfather, who was an ensign in the Revolution, and now, after more than one hundred and thirty years, is still occupied as a dwelling. Ensign Robert Cummins was descended from the old Scotch family of Cummins, as well as the oldest Dutch families of New York, including Anneke Janse. Mrs. Miller was directly descended from the High Stewards of Scotland, ancestors of the Royal House of Stuart, through the same family lines as the Earl of Galloway and Sir Harry Stewart, Bart, of Fort Stewart, Ireland, and was named for her grandmother, Elizabeth Scott. (A History of Texas and Texans, Volume 3, Francis White Johnson, 1914. sd)
NEWMAN, FRANCIS M.
One of McCulloch County's most distinguished lawyers is Francis Marion Newman, a resident of Brady. He was born in Washington, the historic County of Texas, in 1860. His father was Joel Newman, and his grandfather was Jonathan Newman, who came from the Carolinas in 1825, when Texas formed a part of Mexico. Thus it will be seen that the family is as purely Texan as can be found. The mother of Mr. Newman was born in Tennessee, but she came with her parents to the Lone Star state in the early years of its history.
Francis M. Newman was born and reared in Washington County, and he graduated from old Baylor University at Independence in 1885. He studied law in the office of C. L. Breedlove at Brenham, Judge Breedlove being one of the prominent lawyers of that city, and Brenham was in those days noted for the strong character of its bar, numbering as it did some of the brightest men in the legal profession in Texas. Mr. Newman was admitted to the bar in 1887, and in that same year he came to Brady and established himself in a law practice. He has lived here since that time and has continued as the city's most prominent lawyer, his clientage representing the substantial business interests of the city and County, and he is thoroughly identified with the community's prominent affairs and movements of progress.
Mrs. Newman, before marriage, was Miss Laura Sheridan, of Brady, but a native of Indiana. Their two children are Pearl and Francis S. (Central and Western Texas Illustrated, Vol. I; Lewis Publishing Company, Chicago (1911) transcribed by Susan Geist)
NILES, SINCLAIR DAVID GERVAIS
Sinclair David Gervais Niles, physician and farmer; born Washington, Republic of Texas, Feb. 1, 1840; Scotch-Irish and Welsh-French descent; son of Joseph Warren Jenkins and Eliza Amelia (Gervais) Niles; father published first newspaper in Republic of Texas, merchant, banker and planter; paternal grandparents Rev. Asa and Susan (Jenkins) Niles; maternal grandparents Sinclair David and Catherine (O’Keeffe) Gervais; his maternal grandfather was first Judge in Republic of Texas; educated in several colleges, and University of Va., graduated in medicine University City of N.Y., with degree of Doctor of Medicine and Surgery March 1, 1861; married Margaret Humes Sept. 21, 1865; member F. & A.M. (Past Master); Democrat; served as private Co. H 1st Miss. Cav. (Pinson' s Regiment, Armstrong' s Brigade); later served as scout and appointed Assist. Surgeon, promoted to rank of Captain April 10, 1864; paroled at Meridian, Miss. May 11, 1865; in early life he practiced medicine; now engaged in farming; member of Protestant Episcopal church. (Who’s Who in Tennessee, Memphis: Paul & Douglass Co., Publishers, 1911; transcribed by Kim Mohler)
SHEPARD, SETH, LL.D., jurist, was born in Brenham, Texas, April 23, 1847. His parents were Chauncey Berkley and Mary Hester (Andrews) Shepard. His father was a lawyer, and afterward a farmer; a man of firmness, courage and a high sense of honor, whose chief public service was rendered as a member of the Texas state senate. His earliest known ancestor in this country was Elder William Brewster, of Plymouth. Other distinguished members of the family were Samuel McDowell, a member of the house of burgesses, and of the Virginia convention, 1775 and 1776, a colonel in the Revolution and afterward a judge in Kentucky; and Thomas Prince, who was governor of Plymouth colony.
His early life was passed in the country. His health was good and his tastes and interests were those of the average boy. He performed various tasks on the farm, and in summer " Looked after the flocks" an occupation which gave him time for study and reflection, of which he made good use. When the private schools were in session he attended them; but the outbreak of the Civil war, when he was about fourteen years of age, badly disorganized the schools of Texas. He studied at a military institute for four months. From July 4, 1864, until the close of the war, he served as a volunteer private, in Co. F, 5th Texas mounted volunteers in the Confederate States army. Chiefly because his father desired that he should enter this profession, he afterwards studied law. For this purpose he attended Washington college (now Washington and Lee university), from which institution he was graduated in 1868. In the following year he commenced the practice of law at Brenham, Texas; and later he was in active practice at Galveston, and at Dallas in the same state. He was a member of the Texas state senate, 1874-75, regent of the University of Texas, 1884-92; and from May 1, 1893, he was associate justice of the court of appeals of the District of Columbia until January 5,1905, when he was made chief justice of that court. For several years he has also been a lecturer at the Georgetown university school of law.
He was married first to Caroline Nelson Goree, January 18, 1882; and second to Etta Knowles Jarvis, March 15, 1891. Of his four children all are now living. He is a member of the Cosmos club of Washington; of the Mayflower Society; of the Sons of the American Revolution; of the United Confederate Veterans; the Southern History Association, and fellow of the Texas Historical Association. He has received the degree of LL.D. from Georgetown university. His religious connection is with the Protestant Episcopal church. His favorite forms of relaxation are walking, rowing, sailing and fishing. (From Men of Mark In America written by Merill Gates published 1906. Submitted by Barbara Ziegenmeyer)
STEPHEN, JAMES M.
In all Erath County there is no family deserving of to more prominent mention than the one to which this gentleman belongs. From the earliest settlement of the county he has been one of its residents, and has always taken an active interest in its development and upbuilding. It was in honor of his father that the name of Stephenville was given to the county seat; and it was an honor well deserved, for he was most prominent in opening the way to civilization in this locality, and largely aided in laying the foundation upon which the present prosperity and advancement of the county rests. Pioneer life, with its attending hardship and inconveniences, became very familiar to the family. Their home was upon the broad, unbroken prairie, far from other settlements and in constant danger from Indian depredations.
Mr. Stephen, of this review, was born in Washington County, Texas, on the 2nd of March, 1846, and was the youngest child born to John M. and Miranda E. (Walker) Stephen. The father was a native of Missouri, born December 29, 1814, and a son of James Stephen. He came to the Lone Star state in a very early day, and when the settlers attempted to gain independence from the Mexican rule he entered the service and aided in establishing the republic of Texas. He was married to Miss Walker August 1, 1837, and resided in Washington and Burleson counties, following the occupation of farming until 1854, when, with the true pioneer spirit strong within him, he started out in search of a suitable location further west. He pushed on into the Indian Territory, surveyed the land now comprised in Erath county and located the tract on which Stephenville stands. The following year he removed a negro family to this place and began the development of a farm. The succeeding year he moved his family to the home which he had prepared for their reception, and in 1855 laid off the town site of Stephenville. This place was made the county seat of the new county, and, as before stated, was named in honor of its founder. He established the first mercantile store there, carrying a general line of goods, such as would be in demand by the settlers living here on the frontier. He also engaged in farming and stock-raising and thus laid the foundation for a successful business career. After a time he changed his place of residence to a farm a mile and a half east of Stephenville.
While residing there Mrs. Stephen, the mother of our subject, died, passing away on the 5th of March, 1859. She left two children, while two had preceded her to the eternal home. The eldest son, Samuel, was killed by the Indians, December 27, 1858, at the age of seventeen years, and John Brown died at the age of six months. A daughter, Mary A., was married December 17, 1854, to Dr. W. W. McNeill, and has since died; and our subject completes the family. The father was again married April 5, 1860, his second union being with Avalon Ballina, a native of Illinois, who came to Texas at an early day. They had three children, but all are now deceased. After the death of his first wife Mr. Stephen removed to what was known as the old Colonel Holcomb farm on the Bosque river. At the time it was a barren tract, but he transformed it into richly cultivated fields, made excellent improvements upon it and resided there until his death, which occurred on the 31st of October, 1862. Only one who has gone through such experiences can understand what the term "pioneer life" means. Surrounded by the comforts of civilization, which railroads bring, with thriving towns only a few miles away, one cannot realize what it is to go into an uninhabited region, far from friends, and establish a home. It requires fortitude and real bravery. The pioneers of Erath County not only had the usual experiences which fall to the frontiersman, but were in constant danger from the Indians. The greatest sorrow which came into the lives of John and Miranda Stephen was the loss of this son at the hands of the treacherous savages. The parents were both consistent members of the Methodist Episcopal Church. Mr. Stephen took a very active part in its work, was one of the organizers of the church and afterward served as its steward. He will be well remembered by many of the old settlers here as a man of sterling worth, possessing many admirable qualities which commanded the respect and confidence of all who knew him.
The subject of this review was a child of nine years when he came to Erath County with his parents. He lived in a manner similar to that of all pioneer lads, early learning all kinds of farm work, but having few opportunities to acquire an education, for schools had not then been established. He worked in the fields or assisted in the care of the stock, and after the death of his father, the home having been broken up, he engaged in stock-raising for himself. During the war he served in the militia, enlisting when only sixteen years of age. His duty was in the line of frontier service, and he remained with his command until after the cessation of hostilities. He then engaged in farming, in company with his brother-in-law, Dr. McNeill, the business association between them continuing for three years, when he purchased his present farm, first becoming owner of two hundred acres of wild land, which he at once began to improve. From time to time he has added to his property until his possessions now aggregate more than one thousand acres, of which four hundred acres are under a high state of cultivation. This is one of the finest farms in all the county, with its well-tilled fields, its good buildings, its improved machinery and the other accessories found upon a model farm of the nineteenth century. In his business dealings he has been very successful, owing to his indomitable perseverance and dauntless energy and industry.
Mr. Stephen was married on the 21st of August, 1887, to Miss Florence Fay, a most estimable young lady. She is a native of Erath County and a daughter of E. S. Fay, who came to this locality when it was a wild, frontier region. Mr. and Mrs. Stephen have had four children, — Ollin W., Ethel A., and two who died in infancy. The parents are worthy members of the Methodist Episcopal church, and their well-spent lives are in harmony with their profession. In their home hospitality reigns supreme, and the Stephen residence is a favorite resort with their many friends. In his political views Mr. Stephen is a Democrat, but so engrossing are the cares of his extensive estate that he has no time for political office, even though he had inclinations in that direction. (History of Texas, Central Texas Vol I, Lewis Publishing, 1896 Transcribed by: Gene P)
STUART, DAVID F., MD
A noble position, a splendid servant of the public to his profession, a capable business man and esteemed wherever known for his professional and private character, David Finney Stuart was for forty years a resident of the city of Houston, with which community the best portion of his life was identified. He died at his home in that city on September 8, 1909, being seventy-six years of age. He had lived in Texas for more than half a century, and during the war was a surgeon in the Confederate army. Houston and Texas had no more loyal citizen than the late Dr. Stuart. He was in the best sense of the word a philanthropist, the everyday work of his life having been of a character which spread its benefits among hundreds of men and women, and like the best of the representatives of his profession, his charity was entirely unostentatious, and was performed as a matter of duty and very often without expectation of any reward.
David Finney Stuart was born in Brook County, West Virginia, in 1833, and was descended from sturdy Scotch ancestors. The founder of the family in Pennsylvania, about 1800, was Galbraith Stuart, who married Miss Mary Cummings, daughter of a prominent Virginian. Dr. Stuart had one brother and four sisters, including Mrs. George C. Red, who founded Stuart Seminary, one of the successful educational institutions of the state.
Dr. Stuart grew up in the Pan Handle of West Virginia, and finished his early education in Bethany College, an institution founded by Alexander Campbell of the Christian Church. In 1850, when seventeen years of age he came to Texas, and located at Gay Hill in Washington County, where his brother-in-law, Dr. George C. Red had already settled. He first studied medicine under Dr. Red, and beginning with 1859 attended Jefferson Medical College at Philadelphia, for two courses, followed by further study in the medical college of Louisiana at New Orleans. Returning to Texas, he soon built up a splendid practice, and his services as a physician and surgeon were widely in demand in his part of the state. He was not permitted to remain long in the quiet rounds of his professional duties. With the outbreak of the war in 1861, he was appointed assistant surgeon in the Tenth Texas Regiment, and from that was promoted to regimental surgeon. His professional skill, executive ability, and valor in the performance of his duties attracted the attention of the officers of the Tennessee army, and he was next made senior surgeon of Granbarry's Texas brigade, with which he served with distinction until the close of the war. During his services Dr. Stuart was several times wounded, and once was captured and kept in prison at Camp Douglas in Chicago for six months. The high esteem in which he was held by the army officers often brought upon him greater responsibilities than his official position called for, but he was always equal to the demand. It is said that among fighting soldiers no more popular officer was to be found in the army than Dr. Stuart.
With the close of the four years' struggle, he returned home to Washington County, and in 1867 located in Houston. He had an excellent practice in a short time, and was the first physician in the city to recognize the needs for a private hospital and act upon his recognition of that requirement. He established a private infirmary, in association with the late Dr. J. Larendon, under the firm name of Stuart & Larendon. The firm subsequently became Stuart, Larendon & Boyles, the third member being the late T. J. Boyles. With the retirement of Dr. Larendon, the firm continued as Stuart & Boyles, until 1901 when Dr. Boyles died, after which the title became Stuart, Red & Stuart, the latter being the son of Dr. Stuart.
However, it was in fields other than as a private practitioner, or in connection with the infirmary that Dr. Stuart made his most conspicuous mark in the medical history of this state. In 1872 he was appointed chief surgeon of the Houston & Texas Central Railroad, a position which he held until the time of his death. He was also chief surgeon of the Houston, East & West Texas Railway when it was completed to Houston, and when that city became a point on the lines of the Missouri, Kansas & Texas Railway and the Gulf, Colorado & Santa Fe Railway, he was likewise appointed their local medical representative. In 1871 Dr. Stuart was honored by election to the office of vice president of the State Medical Society, and in 1873 was made president of that body. In 1876 he served as a delegate to the meeting of the International Medical Association, held at Philadelphia, during the Centennial Celebration. From 1878 to 1895 he was president of the old Galveston Medical College, which in the latter year became the medical department of the State University.
In Houston and South Texas, Dr. Stuart's work as a physician is best remembered for the important service he rendered to the cause of public health while chairman of the city board of health in Houston. In 1867, he fell a victim to a scourge of yellow fever, passed through it safely, and his experiences and studies subsequently made him one of the recognized authorities on this disease in all Texas. At every subsequent recurrence of yellow fever in Houston and other Texas communities, he was frequently consulted, and the confidence of the profession and the people in Dr. Stuart often enabled a community to withstand the plague and prevent a complete depopulation of the locality. In 1897 it was reported that a case of yellow fever had developed in Houston. An expert delegated by the United States government visited the city and pronounced the case yellow fever. Railroad towns along all lines entering Houston required a rigid quarantine, and it was enforced with such severity that it meant a terrific loss to the commerce and prestige of the community. Dr. Stuart through his superior skill and ability not only proved the case was not yellow fever, but in less than four days had convinced the health physicians of the surrounding town of the proof of his efficiency, so that all quarantines against Houston were raised. Dr. Stuart was perhaps best known for his accomplishments in the general field of medicine, but he was a rare surgeon and performed many of the most difficult surgical operations. For a number of years in Houston he represented as medical examiner a number of the life insurance companies. It is not usual for a successful professional man to win a reputation in practical business affairs, but Dr. Stuart had a keen business judgment and was often entrusted with the management of large affairs. In 1R86 he was appointed receiver of the Houston Savings Bank, and at the end of a receivership of two years, paid the creditors seventy cents on the dollar. He was for several years a director of the Commercial National Bank of Houston, and interested in various other business undertakings. Dr. Stuart was one of the leading men in the support of the Presbyterian Church of Houston, and was a member of the building committee that erected the magnificent stone church at Main street and McKinney avenue, his individual contributions having been among the largest in the construction of that edifice.
Dr. Stuart was first married September 17, 1867, to Miss Ellen Dart. The children of that union were the late Dr. J. R, Stuart of Houston, and Daisy, wife of Dawes E. Sturgis. The mother of these two died in 1880, and in 1883 Dr. Stuart married Miss Bettie H. Bocock. Mrs. Stuart is still living and resides at the attractive family home, 517 McGowan Avenue. She is the mother of two children: Susan Walker and Mary Cummins, the latter the wife of Dr. F. R. Ross. (A History of Texas and Texans, Volume 4 by Francis White Johnson, 1914 – Transcribed by AFOFG)
VAUGHN, THOMAS SOLOMON
Thomas Solomon Vaughn, a pioneer settler of Texas, now living on his fine farm near Pottsville in Hamilton County, was born on the 28th of February,1836, in Yalobusha County, Mississippi, and is a son of John and Malinda Reed Vaughn, who brought their family to Texas in the fall of 1837, location first at Cedar Creek Washington County, but on account of the Indians they went to Montgomery County three years later. Their next move made them residents of Brazos county, whence they went to Robertson county, and later across the line to Rogers ' Prairie in Leon County . The father died September 4, 1850, at the age of forty-five years. He was a native of Virginia , and Having lost his parents when a very small child he was reared by an uncle, The maternal grandfather of our subject, John Reed, was of Irish descent, and in his family were the following children: Hester, Nancy, Malinda, Lucy, Betsy, Mary who wedded Mr. Miley, George, Amanda and Solomon.
Shortly after the death of his father, Thomas S Vaughn started out in life for himself, first driving a team between Houston, Dallas , Fort Worth and other points, and during that time made his home in Leon County . After a few months he became owner of a couple of teams and engaged in the freighting business. He next began dealing in cattle, having a heard of one hundred and fifty. His personal interests were interrupted, however, by the breaking out of the Civil War, and on the 22d of May, 1862, he entered the Confederate service as a member of Company B, Gould's Battalion, Walker 's Division. He served in the cavalry for six months in Arkansas and Louisiana , taking part in all the engagements in which his command participated.
The war over, Mr. Vaughn returned to Leon County and explored the central and western portions of the state looking for a location, and at length pre-empted land east of the Leon River, about four miles from Jonesboro. He afterward exchanged that land for other lands and added to it until he had four hundred and eighteen acres, eighty of which was under cultivation, some of the improvements haven been made upon the land before he purchased it. Later he enhanced this for a cotton gin at Pottsville and a farm of two hundred and forty acres on the Hoover Branch up Cowhouse, exchanging with E Manning. On the 22th of November 1875, he bought of T. J. Rosser and wife his present place comprising tow hundred and forty acres, and the following November removed thereon. He also purchased seven hundred and ninety-two acres of land adjoining. He cotton gin was operated and another party and finally sold to J. C. C. Martin & Son, Mr. Martin being his son-in-law. During the early day he experienced much trouble with the Indians, having at one time five head of horses taken by them. In 1873 he sold his stock of cattle, numbering at that time nine hundred head. From September 1874, to March 1895, he was in the sheep business, at times having as many as twenty-four to twenty-six hundred head. At present (summer of 1896) he has a little over town hundred head of horses and mules. He also owns and operates a cotton gin at Indian Gap.
On the 20th of May, 1858, at Rogers' Prairie , Leon County, Mr. Vaughn married Miss Eliza Clark, who was born in Arkansas , September 1, 1837, and is the daughter of Benjamin and Mary Ann (Pierce) Clark. Her father emigrated to Texas in 1842, location first in Hopkins county, but his last days were passed in Leon County , but his last days were passed in Leon County , where he died Aug, 1866, at the age of eighty years. He was a native of Tennessee , whence he removed to Nebraska , later to Arkansas and Missouri , and finally became a resident of the Lone Star State . In the war of 1812 he served under General Jackson, participating in the battle of New Orleans . At the early age of nineteen years he became a minister of Missionary Baptist Church , and was the first missionary sent to Missouri by the Board of American Baptist Missions. On arriving in Texas he spent some time in the Red River Association, and in 1852 became a member of the Trinity River Association.
The family of Mr. & Mrs Vaughn Comprise the following Children: Theodocia, born July 25, 1859, died at the age of three months; Owen, born July 28, 1860, died December 14, 1888; Thomas Lewis, born December 13, 1862, Married Katie Walton, by whom he has 3 children, -- Austin, Viola and William, --and with his family now resided in Coke County, Texas, where he is engaged in farming and ginning cotton; Julia Ann, born June 29, 1865, married J. C. C. Martin, now of Comanche, Texas, by whom she had five children--Solomon Taylor, Lorena, Grover Cleveland, Georgia Bell and Orelia; Malinda Aryella, born September 7, 1868, died September 4, 1873; Mary Emeline, born July 2, 1873, is the wife of G. P. Pierce, and they have four children,-- Louella, Esther Ethel, Nora Vida and Thomas Marcus; Francis Marin and James Monroe, twins, born October 7, 1875, are engaged in farming in Cooke County, Texas; and Martha Lulu, born September 14, 1879, is at home.
Mr. Vaughn is a type of the old stockman of his section of the state, which is now becoming extinct, and has taken a prominent part in the affairs of the locality. He cast his first vote in support of the Know Nothing Party, but is now an ardent Democrat. He joined the Masonic order at Jonesboro in 1872, and how holds his membership in Rock House Lodge, No 417, F. & A. M., of Hamilton; joined Sycamore Grange, when organized, of the he became the treasurer, and also belongs to the Farmers' Alliance. He is a conscientious Christian gentleman, of the strictest integrity, and for twenty- seven years has been an active member of the Baptist Church . (History of Texas , Central Texas Vol I, Pub 1896 -- Transcribed by: Gene P)
WHEELER, ROYAL T.
Royal T. Wheeler was born in Vermont in 1810 and early in life moved with his father's family to Ohio , where he received a good education. In 1837 he moved to Fayetteville, Ark. , where he formed a partnership with W. S. Oldham. He soon afterward moved to Texas and began to practice law in partnership with Kenneth L. Anderson. In 1842 he was elected District Attorney and in 1844 to the District bench. Upon the organization of the State judiciary, in 1846, he was appointed one of the Associate Judges of the Supreme Court, and was successively re-elected until his death. In 1858, upon the election of Judge Hemphill to the United States Senate, he was made Chief Justice and held that position up to the time of his death, in Washington County, Texas. He died by his own hand, in a fit of mental aberration, April 9, 1864, in Washington County , Texas . (History and Geography of Texas as Told in County Names, by Z. T. Fulmore (1913) Transcribed by Ann Cassel)