We regret that we are unable
perform personal research for anybody.
Founded March 2, 1836
In 1835-36 some of the most important
events of the Texas Revolution occurred in the area that later
became Goliad County. In 1835 Goliad was occupied by Santa Anna's
forces under Martn Perfecto de Cos but was captured and garrisoned
by Anglo-Texan forces under George M. Collinsworth and Philip
Dimmitt that became crucial in the defeat of Cos's army in the siege
of Bexar. The Goliad Declaration of Independence was also drafted
and signed in 1835.
In 1836 the Mexican army under Jos de Urrea defeated James W.
Fannin's Goliad command in the battle of Coleto, and subsequently
the Texans were executed in one of the revolution's most atrocious
events, the Goliad Massacre. Vicente Filisola, who assumed command
of the retreating Mexican army after Santa Anna's defeat in the
battle of San Jacinto, was overtaken just south of Goliad by Texas
commissioners and made to ratify the surrender terms.
In the first few years after the revolution, the Goliad area,
having been directly in the war zone, was virtually deserted; many
of the Mexican citizens retreated south with Filisola or were forced
to flee by incoming Anglo-American settlers who bore bitter
prejudice against all Mexicans, including Tejanos. Those who stayed
or returned found the original land-grant boundaries lost, stolen,
or confused, a situation that led to much violence and required much
litigation to verify Mexican settlers' claims.
Goliad County became one of the twenty-three original counties
established by the First Congress of the Republic of Texas in 1836.
Resettlement was slow, primarily centered around the La Baha-Goliad
town, which remained the business center, but also at nearby areas
that became the towns of Charco and Fannin. [Source: Excerpted from Craig H. Roell, "GOLIAD COUNTY,"
Handbook of Texas Online. Published by the Texas State Historical
and Populated Areas
Berclair * Fannin *
Weesatche * Ander * Angel City * Charco * Kilgore * Melrose * Sarco
* Schroeder * Weser