Genealogy Trails History Group
Divider Line

Box Elder County, Utah - Genealogy Trails & History

Volunteers Dedicated to Free Genealogy
Real Data - Always Free & Always Updating!
Genealogy - Preserving the Past - Inspiring the Future!

Divider Line

Home Page

Utah State Site

Biographies

Divider Line

BOOTHE, SUSANNAH PIERCE
The oldest living settler of Brigham City, and one of the most heroic women that ever lived, is Susannah Pierce Boothe. A lady whom most everyone in Box Elder county knows, and one that is universally loved and admired. A lady who has put on a bold front to every trial and vicissitude of life, who has kept her own troubles deeply covered in her heart, and has used all her surplus energy in ministering and encouraging others. "I haven't lived in Brigham City all these years without heartaches, my brother, "she said to us, but when she drove back the tears to offer us still the kind, cheery face, we instinctively felt that her "make-up" is essentially of that kind of which heroes and heroines are made. Coming to Brigham City with her husband in 1851, she has breasted all the storms and vicissitudes the city has known, and she lives today to thank God for the opportunity she has had of pioneering a land that is so full of opportunity and blessings for those who are now living. She lived first in the fort in the northwestern part of town, and later in her home, which stood where the Utahna hotel now stands. In the upper part of her house, many meetings were held in the early days, and, as related in another part of the paper, the factory ceilings were appropriated during "hard times" to make clothes for the militia. Mrs. Boothe was born in Lancaster county, Pennsylvania. March 26, 1831, and consequently was just twenty years old when she came to Brigham. She has been twice married, first to Eli II. Pierce in 1850, to whom she bore four children, Eli II., Mary B., Leonidas and Octavia, the three former living in Salt Lake City and the Latter in Mendon. Secondly, she married W. II. Boothe, to whom she has borne six children, Amanda of Collinston, Olive M. of Ogden, Willis II., Hr., of Salt Lake, John N. of Collinston, B. F. and M. A. both of Brigham. Mrs. Boothe has sixty-two grandchildren and four great grandchildren. Despite her seventy-nine years, she is still hale and hearty, and bears with blushing pride her honors full full upon her. She frequently speaks in public assemblies, and her voice rings clear and true to the uttermost parts of the buildings, and it always bears a message of courage, hope and cheer to the auditors.
[Source: The Box Elder News - September 1, 1910; Transcribed and submitted by Allison Morgan.]


DAVIS, WILLIAM T. DAVIS
In banking circles William T. Davis has a wide acquaintance and is regarded as a most capable business man. He is the cashier of the State Bank of Brigham City and his thorough understanding of the business, his close application and his progressive methods have been substantial elements in the continued growth of the bank's business. Mr. Davis was born at Perry, Box Elder county, Utah, February 23, 1878. His father, Daniel Davis, was a native of Wales and in early life came to the United States. He followed ranching in both Utah and Idaho and his death occurred in this state following his return from a mission. He was always very active in the work of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and was a member of the Seventy. The mother of William T. Davis, Mrs. Mary Ann Davis, died in 1914. William T. Davis attended the district schools of Perry and also spent one year as a student in the Brigham Young College at Logan and also for three years attended the Brigham Young University at Provo. After leaving school he went on a mission to Kentucky and was connected with the office in Chattanooga. Following his return he became the democratic candidate for the office of county treasurer of Box Elder county but was defeated with the others on the ticket. He made his initial step in the banking business in a humble way by entering the Bank of Brigham City conducted by J. Y. and H. J. Rich. Since that time, however, he has made steady progress in banking circles and is today the cashier of the State Bank of Brigham City, which is capitalized for forty thousand dollars and has a surplus of equal amount. Its capital, surplus and undivided profits amount to ninety-five thousand, four hundred and eighty-two dollars and the deposits of the bank amount to seven hundred and twenty-nine thousand, seven hundred and sixty-four dollars. The officers of the bank are: M. S. Browning, president; R. L. Fishburn, Jr., vice president; John Watson, vice president; W. T. Davis, cashier; and George A. Anderson, assistant cashier. In addition to his banking interests Mr. Davis is one of the stockholders and directors of the Brigham City Canning Company and he is much interested in fruit growing. He is also connected with ranching in Box Elder county and upon his ranch he makes a specialty of the raising of Durham cattle. While he finds interest, pleasure and profit in fruit raising, ranching and cattle interests, banking is yet his chief activity and for many years he has been at the head of the State Bank of Brigham City, which he has made a very successful institution, the stock being quoted very high. In 1902 Mr. Davis was married to Miss Sarah Harding, and they have the" following children: William Leland, fifteen years of age, now in school; Charles, Grant and Wilma, also in school; Rachel; and Dorothy. The religious faith of the family is that of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and Mr. Davis has for many years been superintendent of the Sunday school and also a member of the Seventy. He belongs to the State Bankers Association and is a member of the Commercial Club of Brigham. In 1916 he was elected mayor of the city for a two years' term and gave to Brigham a public-spirited and progressive administration, characterized by various reforms and improvements. His interest in the general welfare is of a practical character and he shows wisdom in utilizing the means at hand in the attainment of high ideals of citizenship.
[Source: Utah since Statehood: Historical and Biographical Volume 2; By Noble Warrum; Publ. 1919; Transcribed and submitted by Andrea Stawski Pack.]


ENSIGN, MARTIN L.
Tried, tested and proven, is Martin L. Ensign. Faithful, loyal and true; a kind husband, a loving father and a devoted follower of Christ. He has not cared greatly for the treasures of life, but has kept constantly in view the things that count for most in the plan of eternal salvation. A typical home man, one who loves his home and family, and whose ambition has been to rear and honorable family. In this he has been remarkably successful, and he has now a numerous posterity to call him blessed. Mr. Ensign was born in Westfield, Hamden county, Massachusetts, March 31 1821 and consequently is now in his ninetieth year. He and his family came to Brigham in 185? funding about twenty families here living in the fort. Of those living here then, Mrs. Susannah Boothe is the only surviving member in Brigham, consequently Mr. Ensign and his wife are the next oldest of Brigham's pioneers. In connection with all the older settlers, he endured many hardships and privations, which seemed only to strengthen and purify his nature. In 1858, although he was in very straitened circumstances, he accepted a call for a mission to England; although he left his wife and children with but twenty pounds of flour in the house, he left with the full assurance that the Merciful Father whom he served would provide for him and his family, and that all would be well with them. This great faith and devotion to his religion has been highly characteristic of his life and whatever he has been called to do he has done with no though of it being a personal sacrifice, but with the idea that it was an opportunity and a blessing to be called into the service of his Master.
[Source: The Box Elder News - September 1, 1910; Transcribed and submitted by Allison Morgan.]


ENSIGN, MARY DUNN
"O! woman-mother; woman-wife--The sweetest name that language knows; Thy breast, with holy motives rife, With holiest affections glows, Thou queen, thou angel of my life." When one thinks or speaks of Mary Dunn Ensign, it is with the profound admiration and devotion that clings to noblest womanhood. Gentile, patient, humble, affable, loving, faithful and genuine though and through. The mother of noble women and men, who pay to her today the same homage that her sweet disposition drew from them when they were children upon her knee. Over them she exercises the same solicitude as of old, and with the increase of years her heart has enlarged so that her tender love extends to all mankind. Mary Dunn was born near Ypsilanti, Mich., November 2, 1823, and came to Salt Lake City with her parents in 1848. In January, 1852, she married Martin L. Ensign, to whom she has borne nine children: Mary Adelaine E. Roberts, deceased; Georgiana E. Hill, Logan, Utah; Emma Lavinia E. Lee, Brigham City; Harriet Camilla E. Smith, Logan, Utah; Martin Luther Ensign, Jr., Brigham City; John Henry Ensign, deceased; Horace Ensign, deceased; Effie Celestia E. Merrill, Salt Lake City; Dr. A. W. Ensign, Brigham. Mrs. Ensign has borne with heroic fortitude all the hardships and vicissitudes that attend pioneer life, and her sweet, cheerful disposition has maintained throughout, and you will rarely meet one today who will give you more hope and courage and cheer and make you feel that life is indeed a grand and noble thing than this good sister. When we called to see her we found her, despite her 87 years, on a ladder in the top of a cherry tree picking fruit, as happy and gay as a young robin, foreseeing, as we imagine, how her children and grandchildren will, when dreary winter comes again, put their feet under grandma's table, and will tell her how they enjoy her cherries. May she live at least to round out her full century of years, and as much longer as she may desire.
[Source: The Box Elder News - September 1, 1910; Transcribed and submitted by Allison Morgan.]


HAMSON, GEORGE
To be first in anything is of some significance. To be the first child born in the very best town in the world is of considerable import. This distinction belongs to Mr. George F. Hamson, who was born in Brigham City fifty-nine years ago. He was born of good pioneer stock, under circumstances that were anything but favorable. His birth occurred on December 8, 1851, in a small log cabin without doors or windows, which had a dirt roof and good, solid Mother Earth for flooring. Very few mothers have undergone more severe or trying experiences than did Mrs. Sarah Ann II. Hamson during the period of gestation and confinement. During the summer of 1851 Mrs. Hamson walked with her husband practically all the way from the Missouri river to Salt Lake City, suffering every privation and hardship that attended those sad pilgrimages. Mr. and Mrs. Hamson tarried but a very short time in Salt Lake City, but came direct to Brigham City. They found but a very few people here -- a half dozen families living in the primitive fort established in the northwestern part of town, and here their son George, their fourth child was born under the above mentioned circumstances. He weighed but four pounds, but perhaps that was enough for a starter. Since that time there have been larger children born. The next day after the babe's birth a cold, heavy rainstorm set in and continued for four days; of course we do not intimate that the coming of the child had anything to do with the storm, but the storm was a rather unfortunate thing for the mother and babe. After about the third day the sod roof became discouraged and permitted the rains to sod through. There was but one dry corner in the cabin, and in this potatoes were piled. The terrific downpour made a change inevitable, so that the bed containing mother and child was hastily dumped into the corner on top of the potatoes. The mother took cold from the operation the same settling in her eyes, the effects from which she never overcame during the remainder of her lifetime. The newborn boy-- like everything else born or grown in Brigham -- grew and thrived. Ere many years passed he was a husky lad able to drive and herd the cows, and thus become a helper, a bread-winner in the family. This occupation was one which he followed for several years, and with good success, for he was found trusty and reliable. As he grew older he was sent out with large herds of cattle to look after during the summer season on Bear river and on the Promontory lands. As a boy he remembers many of the trials and hardships incident to pioneer life. Fortunately, however, he never was made to feel deeply the pangs of hunger. There never was a time, he says, but that he had plenty of bread to eat. In regard to clothing he was none too fortunate. His clothes were home made, and were patched and repatched, so that it was difficult at times to determine which was the original piece. He was a good sized boy -- sufficiently old enough to thoroughly appreciate the luxury -- before he was favored with a real hat. He sported many a mother-made rag cap -- but never a hat, until he was perfectly able to take care of it. He was allowed one pair of shoes per year, and in order to make them do the required service his father used to nail bits of iron on the soles. During spring, summer and autumn it was in order to go barefoot; winter was the season for the shoe luxury. Mr. Hamson's education was necessarily sparse. Three months or less per year in the "deestrickt school" and nine months in the University of Hard Knocks. At the age of 23 he married Miss Olive Burbanks, with whom he has since traveled life's highway, and they have journeyed arm in arm. To them have been born nine children, three of whom have been buried; the other six are living in Brigham. Mr. Hamson has never sought public office, but has been satisfied to go his own quiet way in life. He has been temperate in his habits and moderate in his judgments. Never particularly religious in nature, yet has endeavored to carry out Christ's percepts in daily life. He prides himself that he has been able to make some gradual improvements in life, and has become more and more the master of his thoughts and tongue. He has been a hard worker and has had for an unconscious motto: "Rush and Work." He has nothing but what he has earned and nothing but what he fully appreciates. He has a splendid family, to which he is very much devoted, and is another of our typically representative citizens.
[Source: The Box Elder News - September 1, 1910; Transcribed and submitted by Allison Morgan.]


KNUDSON BROTHERS
Elsewhere in this issue we say that "everyone becomes well-to-do" in Brigham. To partially verify this statement we take pride in pointing to such a family as the Knudson brothers, whose photographs are presented here with, as also the pictures of their commodious, comfortable homes. In any community a large family in which every member is successful would be regarded as a rather remarkable one, and so we regard the Knudson boys as a rather exceptional family. Here is a set of boys who, by dint of energy, hard work, perseverance, self-control and business acumen, have established themselves in a splendid way in the community. Men of honor, integrity, energy and ability; men who are in every sense home men, loving their wives and children, inculcating such virtues as make for manhood and womanhood; men who are loyal to their friends, their home and their country. Men whose lives have been devoted to the development and upbuilding of our community, and who are in a sense exemplars to us all. But lest some fear that we eulogize too highly, let us say that these men are not angels, by and manner of means, they have faults and frankly acknowledge them. There is an abundance of modesty distributed among the boys and none seek publicity of any kind, say nothing about notoriety. This "writeup" is absolutely on our own responsibly and we had to work like Trojans to get permission to hold the boys up to the limelight. We present them to the public because they are highly representative of our community, and show what can be accomplished here; they have been prime movers in the development of agricultural, horticultural and business interests, and, to say the truth, we are proud of them. We have many other good sound families in Brigham and Box Elder of whom we are also proud. We cannot, in one issue of our little paper, tell of all the people or of all the things of which we are proud, but we can make a beginning, and that is what we are trying to do. With these explanations and apologies we proceed with our story. In the year 1854, William Knudson, a native of Denmark, then a young man of twenty, who had migrated to Utah two years earlier, cameo Brigham City to make his home. He brought with him his young wife, Amelia Harup Knudson, who had emigrated from Denmark the previous year. Mr. and Mrs. Knudson made their home in the old fort with a few sturdy pioneers who were here. They began at the bottom rung of the ladder, financially speaking, and they never climbed very high on this ladder, as fortunes were not made in Box Elder in those days, but they did better; they assisted in establishing a foundation for our present commonwealth. Mr. Knudson was a lover of nature and lived near her. He liked nothing better than tilling the soil, but people knew little then about the adaptability of different kinds of soil for various crops, and moreover, nature seemed more unkind in those days, frequently destroying their crops with cold and frost, so that discouragements were common. Mr. Knudson, however, was persistent, and he seemed to foresee, more clearly than anyone else, that the area about Brigham was particularly adapted for peaches, berries, small fruits, etc., and through his persistence and perseverance he became successful, as have also his children after him. Mr. and Mrs. Knudson had born to them in Brigham thirteen children, eight boys and five girls. Two of the boys died when very young, the names and births of the other are as follows: Charles W., January 18, 1855; Joseph, November 29, 1856; Peter, September 8, 1858; William O., April 12, 1860; James, March 3, 1862; John C., March 12, 1867 Of the girls, three died when quite young, two lived to womanhood; Mrs. Rozilla K. Peterson, one of the very best women that ever lived, is still living. The other, Mrs. Julia Ann Fatima K. Valentine, also one of the earth's noble women, died several years ago, leaving a husband, Hon. A. W. Valentine, and three children. A brief sketch of each of the surviving boys of the family follows.
CHARLES W. KNUDSON
The senior member of the family, as well as the senior member of the well known firm of Knudson Brothers, is on of the financial financiers of Brigham. He has always had an eye to business. He is one of the men who will find a way or make it. He is like the bank that advertises "no accounts too large or none too small to receive our attention." He has ever been ready to tackle big propositions, and yet he never neglects any detail of business. When he was a young man helping his father garden and raise fruit, they found themselves greatly hampered for want of a market. C. W. then went to Butte City to open up a market, and, as everyone knows, was remarkably successful. He opened up a produce and fruit business there, and soon at "too much market." He could not get stuff fast enough. Frequently his customers stood about the cars and took provisions direct from there, not permitting them to be moved to his place of business. Everything brought tiptop prices, too. Here are a few samples: Hay, $40 per ton; oats, 3 cents per lb; potatoes $5 per sack; strawberries, $5 per 16 cup case; cantaloupes, 25 cents each. Of course, expressage was high in those days, but it is readily seen what this splendid market meant to Brigham. After two years of successful business in Butte, he sold out in order to perform a mission to Denmark, which he accomplished in 1883-4-5. After his return, he found it advisable to go again to Butte, where he continued his former successes for some six or seven years. Not only did he engage in the fruit business, but ever had his eyes open to other work and did all kinds of contract work and some mining. In 1892 he built the Union block in Brigham, and in the following year returned and opened up the business which he and his brothers have since carried on here. He has been identified with many of the great movements that have brought about Brigham's development, and he is proud of his city. He has a splendid family, consisting of six children, five of whom are at home, and the other, a daughter, Lylia, is married to Charles C. Clayton and lives in Salt Lake City. Miss Ethel, a recent graduate of the Box Elder high school, gives promise of considerable talent in both literature and music. She is the author of the poem in this issue. Mr. Knudson has buried four children. His wife, Mrs. Emily Clark Knudson, has proven a valuable helpmeet to her husband, and has a sweet, charming, motherly disposition, that makes "home" a veritable home in every sense of the word.
JOSEPH KNUDSON
Modest, pleasant, unassuming, kind, hospitable, benevolent, industrious, are some of the adjectives that can appropriately be applied to Joseph Knudson. As a boy he was very content to stay at home and help his father, and as a man it has been the quiet home life that has attracted him most. He has been essentially a worker and a home builder. Before he was married he did not spend more than six months away from home, and these few months he spent when a young man, twenty years of age, in getting out timber in Logan canyon. His pathway in life has not been altogether smooth, and he has met reverses frequently, but his indomitable courage and industry have enabled him to meet life heroically, and he has been, what we call, eminently successful. He has a beautiful home and a beautiful home life. His wife, Josephine Carlson Knudson, possesses in high degree the same virtues that characterize her husband. They have five children living, and have buried tow. Two of the daughters are married, one to Joseph L. Wight, the other to Hyrum J. Hanson. In the spring of 1877, Joseph, in accordance with his father's wishes, went over to Cache valley and homesteaded near Weston. Here he lived for more than fifteen years, and became successful as a farmer and stock raiser. His heart, however, was ever with Brigham and her people, and when an opportunity came to sell his ranch he did so, and he came back to his native home. This was in 1892. In connection with his brother, W. O., he bought the homestead on which he now lives. This at that time was a sage brush plain, but through his effort it has been converted into fruitful field and orchard. He has ten acres of peaches, apricots and cherries that compare favorably with the best in Brigham. Joseph has never sought any public office and has served in no public capacity, except as special police officer, but has been a staunch defender of our great government, and has lived the life of an honest, progressive citizen.
PETER KUNDSON
What has been said with regard to temper, character and disposition of Joseph Knudson, may with equal propriety be said of his brother Peter. These boys, in their attitude and manner of life, are very much alike. Both have desired through life to keep in the background of public attention, and to pursue the even tenor of their way, unmolested. In many respects they are said to resemble closely their father Wm. Knudson. Chance, rather than disposition, has thrown Peter more than his brother Joseph upon public notice. For about fifteen years he served each autumn as manager of the Knudson Brothers club at Duckville and in this way formed a wide acquaintance with men from all parts of the country who are fond of hunting, fishing, etc. For two years he served the city as councilman, and he has also served as school trustee. He was chairman of the board of trustees when the Whittier school was built. For several years now, also, he has served in a religious capacity as one of the bishopric of the Second ward. In every capacity in which he has been called to serve he has discharged his duties with that conscientiousness and care that always marks a noble, high minded citizen. Always careful, conservative, considerate, he has won respect and confidence of all who have been in any way associated with him. He has a high sense of honor, and we believe would not permit himself to injure in any way a fellow being. Like most others, he has met misfortunes and reverses. He has also been obliged to meet the Grim Destroyer, who deprived him of his beloved wife, Dinah Peterson Knudson, after she had borne him nine children, five boys and four girls. After four years of widowhood, he married in 1893 his present estimable wife, Josephine Jenson Knudson, who has borne him two children, a boy and a girl. Peter's life has been a rather quiet one, yet an eventful one, for its measure thus far spells -- Success. On the southern slope of Brigham City, on First West near Fourth South, he has a very comfortable, commodious home and orchard, and near by he has extensive orchards, gardens and meadows that give him a very comfortable living. He is an extensive grower of strawberries raspberries and small fruits, and is inclined to the opinion that they pay better than peaches. He also cultivates sugar beets, and with splendid results. He has been associated with brothers in some business enterprises, but for the most part has worked independently and alone. He has tried his hand at different sorts of labor and in other places, notably in Cache valley and Montana, but he has always felt that it was his calling to wrest his living from the soil.
WILLIAM O. KNUDSON
The elegant home on the northeast corner of First West and Third South streets belongs to the fourth born of the Knudson boys, William O. The home is only one of many evidences that show Will's prosperity. When he was a child he was weak and frail, and it is the marvel of many that he lived. James, who was two years younger, walked before he did, and it seemed inevitable that if he lived at all it would be as an invalid. Faith, tender care, courage, and active outdoor life, however, accomplished the miracle, and one would hardly suspect now that he had such an inauspicious beginning. His early life, aside from the gradual overcoming of a frail physique, did not differ essentially from that of the other boys. It was spent quietly on his father's farm. His early married life is interesting. He set sail on the matrimonial sea with a cash capital of thirty-five dollars, and with the principle firmly established in his mind that young people ought not to go into debt. Miss Alice N. Larsen was the good mate that set out with him, and the date of departure was December 17. The weather being cold, a good stove was considered the first requisite, and this expenditure swallowed up six-sevenths of their capital -- thirty dollars. This left five dollars for running expenses. Will and his wife learned early the blessing of doing without. Their trunk served for a table. The ground answered for a bedstead until the new husband could make a better, which he immediately proceeded to do. He found it convenient and possible to make all his own furniture. In the spring he worked on a gravel train for about twelve days -- the only time in his life that he ever worked for wages. It has been a principle in his life to furnish his own employment. He found it necessary, too, this same spring to overcome his scruples about borrowing, and he went to Wm. Hill and borrowed three hundred dollars, which he invested in a team and wagon and began freighting. This was the beginning of much freight and contract work, which he followed for several years, first, for four years in Idaho and later, in partnership with L. Anderson, in Colorado and Wyoming. He also went to Butte with his brother, C. W., in 1886, and assisted in establishing the business there and in making a Utah market. One summer, that of 1890, he had some interesting experience in connection with W. A. Boise as a miner. The two washed fine good from Snake river on an island near American Falls, and with some success. After he had finished his contract with the government in Wyoming, he returned to Brigham to enter the field as a practical and experimental fruit grower, and he rapidly developed into one of the best known growers of the State. He has made quite a reputation as a strawberry grower, having tried out more than sixty varieties. He soon became familiar with nurseries and nursery methods, and is an authority on tree culture. He has bought thousands of trees for people in Brigham City and vicinity. In a single year he has handled as many as 60,000 trees. During the last year he cut more than 40,000 buds for nurseries here. He has taken a prominent part of horticultural and agricultural exhibits during the past ten years in county fairs, state fairs, interstate exhibits and irrigation congresses. Usually, too, in addition to the general exhibit, he has also had an individual exhibit, and has won all sorts of prizes and trophies, e. g., Fifteenth National Irrigation Congress, Sacramento, Cal., cup, value $175, for best exhibit of products of single farm irrigated by electrical power; cup, value $225, for best products raised on single irrigated farm. Irrigation Congress of Albuquerque, two complete pumping plants, one value $100, Witie engine, with complete outfit for irrigating sixty acres of land, the other a "Jack of All Trades" Fairbanks & Morse pump, valued at $250. His splendid fruit orchard lies on both sides of the railroad track, about eight rods north of the station and is said to be one of the best in the county. W. O. is also president of the Marion Orchard company, of which we shall hear much later. He also has a promising family, consisting of three boys and two girls. His oldest daughter, Luinna, is the wife of J. Edward Taylor, secretary of the State Horticultural College, and is the writer of the article in this issue entitled "Strawberry Culture." Floyd is in the box Elder high school and the others are yet to be heard from.
JAMES KNUDSON
If comparisons are permissible, we think we may say that in C. W. and James we have another of brothers that are a good deal alike. We are not sure as to where these comparisons will be considered complimentary and where uncomplimentary, but confident that none will take offense, as the boys all have a high opinion of each other. Each things the others better than himself, and we would not dispel that illusion. James, also, is a business man. He is "pretty shrewd" his brothers say, and we think they are right. Evidence bears out the statement. He began, as they, with little, and though only now in middle life he has gained a competency. He, also as they, was deprived of educational advantages, and owes his success to his native ability and hard work. He remembers vividly, however, his early school experiences during the short winter months, and especially the disciplinary measures that his teachers practiced. He remembers best that his teacher kept him a pretty good boy by threatening to sit him between two girls, should be misbehave. In common with all the other boys, he is an ardent advocate of education and is giving his children every possible educational advantage. His only daughter graduated with honors from the Box Elder high school last spring at the age of 17, and his only son, a little fellow of four, reads quite fluently, owing to the careful instruction of father and mother. The mother in this home is Amelia Kaiser Knudson, who joined the family in 1888 -- a leap year, and consequently must be twitted occasionally of having been the proposer in the matter. However that may be, she seems to have mated happily, and both are more than satisfied with the bargain. James also, like the other boys, did some freighting in his early manhood in Montana and Idaho, but he ceased this work early to enjoy home life and to enter into business in Brigham. He began business in a very modest way, starting an ice cream and confectionery business, and continuing the same only through the summer months. In the fall he had charge of the club house and Duckville. In 1892 he and his brother Peter put up the first shack at Duckville, and he gave the place the name and may probably be called the found of "Knudson Bros. Club." He also had agricultural interests, to which he devoted his attention when not otherwise employed. For sixteen years he carried on his confectionery and ice cream business, during all of which time he kept his eyes open to good bargains in realty, and in consequence now has some of the best business property in Brigham. He also conducted a bicycle and repair shop in Brigham. Four years ago he gave up his ice cream business in order to devote more attention to other affairs. He is still, however, in the ice business, and is helping people materially to keep cool during the hot summer months. In temperament James is calm, cool, quiet, deliberate. His judgment is prized in the community. He served the city as justice of the peace for two elective terms, and for one and one-half years as an appointee, due to the removal of another justice. During his justiceship he practically disposed of the tramp problem by sentencing all that were gathered in to ten days on the rock pile or streets. He has served also as precinct judge for two terms, and is now on his third.
JOHN C. KNUDSON
John C., the youngest of the boys, is perhaps the best natured of all; he is, at least, the most exuberant. We hardly dare say he is less serious, but we think he imparts more good nature and more humor to the world than the others, though they are all of sanguine temperament. John is fleshier than the others, though we do not say this is due to his good nature of the good nature of his wife. We only mention the fact. We are not sure but that J. C. sees and gets a little more enjoyment out of life than the others. Perhaps, on the other hand, the consolations of religion do not appeal so strongly to him as to some of the others. He isn't always at Sunday school. He was born, as he facetiously remarks, in his own coal house. That is, the little log house in which he keeps his coal is the very house in which he first saw the light of day. He lives now with his amiable wife and five happy children in their magnificent home on First East Street. His wife was a jolly Welsh girl, Jennie E. Pritchard, and was a telephone girl in Butte, Mont., when John C. was in business there. He is said to have done his courting over the 'phone, but we do not vouch for this statement. At any rate, she proved to be the gem that John needed in his business and she is veritably a "Pearl of Great Price." John is the junior member and manager of the present firm of Knudson Brothers. He is a good business man, and attends strictly to his business. He is, in fact, one of the most methodical, orderly and systematic business men of Box Elder County. He is a booster, too, and does not believe in knocking. He thinks there is ample room in Brigham for a great many more people, and he wants to see them come. He thinks the fruit business is still in its infancy, and he wants to see it grow. He thinks the growers are entitled to all they can get for their fruit, and he does his level best to keep prices up. "Knudson Brothers" handle earload lots of fruit, and they also cater to the fancy retail market; they take a great pride in putting a nice article in good shape on the market. During the past two years John has been laboring to get the railroad to furnish Brigham with refrigerator express cars, to properly care for our shipments of small fruits. This has undoubtedly had a splendid effect on the local market, enabling growers to dispose of products at much better figures than heretofore. John says the fruit shipping business can be manipulated for the weal or woe of a community. He likes to see the men who toil get their share of the product. This Knudson also began business in a very humble way. He first entered partnership with E. A. Box, and for two years kept a small stock of merchandise in the old Box store. In 1888 he joined C. W. in Butte, Mont., where he remained for five years. Since 1888 he and C.W. have been in business together. They know the shipping business from A to Z. They are originators of several excellent features that characterize the business. They taught us how to pack fruit, for they had been on the other end of the line and knew in what kind of crates fruit kept and in what kind it spoiled. They invented their own cantaloupe crates, which they used for some time, or until a lighter frame, "The Payette," came into the market. They brought the first stapling machine into Brigham. They print each week a bulletin of their market and send it to all their customers. They insist on sending out only first-class fruit, and are very zealous for the reputation of Brigham and Box Elder County. This spring they purchased the Walker property west of the depot, and are improving it so as to make it a creditable advertisement for the town. They expect to build a lunch counter and fruit stands there, and let all passengers through Brigham see what we can grow here. They own over 10,000 acres of marshland and are the proprietors of the great Duckville resort. They also have extensive ranch and farm interest, and raised nearly 4,000 bushels of wheat last year. J. C. has been in public life considerably, and has been deeply interested in public questions. The establishment of the high school was a favorite theme with him, and he was chairman of the Box Elder Commercial club while the high school was building and lent his whole interest to the cause. He is interested in every enterprise the means a bigger and better Brigham, and is always willing to lend a hand.
[Source: The Box Elder News - September 1, 1910; Transcribed and submitted by Allison Morgan.]


MATHIAS, JOHN
In July, 1843, there was born in South Wales a boy whom we are delighted to honor today as another of Brigham's grand and noble pioneers; honest, industrious, steadfast, trustworthy, loyal and God-fearing, is Jonah Mathias. When the boy was six years old he emigrated with his parents to America, crossed the plains with the handcart company of 1852, spent his first winter at Farmington, and the next spring came to Brigham City, where he has since resided. The family joined the half dozen other families then living in the old fort in the northwestern part of town. When the city was laid out in 1854-5, the family moved out into the southwestern part of the city, where Mr. Mathias' father, Thomas Mathias, built the first log house constructed outside the fort. On this block Mr. Mathias has since lived, and his comfortable home surroundings today preach louder than words the blessedness of building a home and staying with it. To spend a half century or more on a little spot of ground called "home" is to appreciate the full significance of the word, for sacred memories attach to every shrub and tree and inch of soil. Surrounding Mr. Mathias' home is a magnificent row of Box Elder shade trees, among the oldest in Brigham, which he carried down from the canyons on his back when they were saplings and planted here. To plant, to water, to care for and to watch grow, makes one feel that he and God are working together, this is the thought that has predominated in the life of Mr. Mathias. Many a time, perhaps when the frost has nipped his crops and blighted his hopes of harvest he has experienced moments of discouragement, but these were but temporary and he has set to work again, feeling from every sad experience, there was (several unreadable words) stayed and man would have such dominion as to enable him to raise whatever fruits, grains and vegetables he desired. He feels that he has indeed seen the hand of God in the tempering of the elements and in the education of man, so that man and nature have come to work harmoniously together in the production of our bounteous harvest. Mr. Mathias has been a very active and energetic man, the only kind of value in genuine pioneering work. Three times he crossed the plains for immigrants and for many years he was an active member of the territorial militia of minute men; a member, indeed, during the entire life of the organization. He has been, also, during his entire life a consistent and devoted Latter-day Saint, and has filled many positions of trust, both in civil and ecclesiastical affairs. He has a bright, active mind, and is chockfull of most interesting reminiscences of Brigham's early days. As his is now but 67years of age, and in splendid health, we have every reason to believe that he will yet spend many fruitful years, and among other good works for which we shall look we shall expect him to be one of the sources from which much authentic material concerning Brigham's growth and history will be derived, when the historian comes to give our fair city her dues.
[Source: The Box Elder News - September 1, 1910; transcribed and submitted by Allison Morgan.]


NEBEKER, DR. EZRA WILLIAM
Dr. Ezra William Nebeker, a chiropractor of Tremonton, who has already won a large practice, has ever been actuated by the laudable ambition to make for himself a creditable name and place in the world through his own efforts. He has never relied upon the prestige that should be his by reason of the fact that he bears a name that has figured prominently in the annals of the state in connection with affairs of the church and of government. From the earliest days of territorial development here the Nebeker family has been known in Utah. Ezra W. Nebeker was born in the town of Willard in 1893, a son of Reuben and Alice Adelaide (Lowe). Nebeker. In the acquirement of his education he attended the graded and high schools of Box Elder county and through vacation periods was employed in the work of the farm. He early evinced a desire to get away from the drudgery of the farm, however, and make a name and place for himself in the world. Soon after his graduation from the high school, therefore, he went to Davenport, Iowa, where he pursued a course of study in the Palmer School of Chiropractic and was graduated from that institution in 1918. Returning home, he then took up the practice of his profession in Logan but had scarcely gained a start when the United States was in the midst of the great World's war as the opponent of Germany and Dr. Nebeker, inspired with the desire to go to France and give the Hun a few "adjustments," made his plans accordingly. His ambition in this direction, however, was never realized because of the signing of the armistice and in 1918, soon after hostilities were brought to a close, he located in Tremonton, where he opened an office. From the beginning of his residence here he has met with success and the future promises are bright. In 1917 Dr. Nebeker was married to Miss Mary M. Korth, a daughter of Frederick F. Korth, of Willard, who was an early settler and farmer of Box Elder county. Dr. Nebeker is a man of high purpose and splendid principles and during his residence in the old home town has occupied the position of elder in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and has also been assistant counselor of the Young Men's Mutual Improvement Association under President Ephraim White. He was likewise for a time manager of the amusement hall of the town. He is a strong believer in his profession, an earnest, progressive follower of chiropractic and is already making for himself a creditable position as one of the followers of that school of healing.
[Source: Utah since Statehood: Historical and Biographical Volume 2; By Noble Warrum; Publ. 1919; Transcribed and submitted by Andrea Stawski Pack.]


PRESTON, LORIN WILLIAM
Though not yet thirty-five years of age Lorin William Preston is the manager of the most important general merchandise establishment in the City of Garland. He is also mayor of the city and one of its most progressive residents, holding to high standards in all matters of citizenship. He was born in Weston, Idaho, in 1884, a son of William and Anne (Clarke) Preston, who were natives of England. Having been converted to the faith of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, they made their way to America and settled in Weston, Idaho, which was largely a Mormon community. There Lorin W. Preston was born and reared and he supplemented his education by study in the Utah Agricultural College at Logan. In 1905 he was called by the church to go on a mission to England and upon his return to his native land he located at Garland. In 1909 he became manager of the Garland Mercantile Company and is still conducting the business. He is thus in control of the leading general merchandise establishment of the town and has built up a large trade for the firm through his enterprising and progressive methods. A large and carefully selected line of goods is carried and Mr. Preston holds to the highest standards in the personnel of the house, in the goods purchased and in the treatment accorded patrons. In 1909 Mr. Preston was married to Miss Mary Barnard, a daughter of Hyrum Barnard, of Brigham, Utah, who crossed the plains in an early day as a member of the Mormon Battalion. Mr. Preston is a consistent churchman and has filled all of the offices in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints to that of high priest. He was for nine years ward clerk and is now the president of the Second Quorum and is also an elder in the church. His activity in the church is only equaled by his devotion to his business and his town. For some years Mr. Preston was a member of the Garland City Council and in 1918 became its mayor, an office which he is still filling to the satisfaction of people of all political parties. There is no public enterprise of worth that does not receive his support and cooperation. His labors in the line of war activities have been tremendous. He has been an untiring worker in support of the Liberty Loan' drives, of the Red Cross and of all movements which have tended to advance the interests of the country in her efforts to promote worldwide democracy. As a member of the City Council and as mayor of Garland he has stood back of all improvements that have been made, including the waterworks system, electric lighting and street paving and in fact every movement which has had for its object the benefit of Garland, the advancement of its civic standards and the promotion of its best interests.
Source: Utah since Statehood: Historical and Biographical Volume 2; By Noble Warrum; Publ. 1919; Transcribed and submitted by Andrea Stawski Pack.]


SHUMAN, WARREN WARD
Warren Ward Shuman, proprietor of the largest garage and repair shop in Tremonton, is one of the enterprising young men who have located in the town and who are making valuable contribution to its reputation as "the liveliest town in Utah." Mr. Shuman is a son of John Shuman, a member of a family of Dutch lineage that settled in Pennsylvania in the early days of America's colonization. In early life John Shuman left the east and started westward, taking up his abode in Nebraska as one of the early settlers of that state. It was there that his son Warren was born in 1887. The education of the son was acquired in the public schools of Nebraska and Utah, and in 1903 ill health caused him to seek a location farther west. He therefore made his way to Tremonton and became one of the early residents of the place. He took up the business of an automobile mechanic and is today the owner of the largest garage and repair shop in Tremonton. It is located on Main street and is the best equipped establishment of the kind in the state north of Ogden. His place is thoroughly equipped with the most modern machinery and a recent addition to his equipment has been a motor generator for charging batteries, which is the largest generator in the city. Besides doing all kinds of automobile repair work Mr. Shuman is the agent of the Vesta storage battery for northern Utah and he carries a large line of the best makes of tires and automobile accessories. He handles the Goodrich, the Silvertown, the Goodrich fiber and the Savage tires and of the last mentioned is sole agent in northern Utah. He employs a force of expert mechanics and all of his work is guaranteed. The people of the community say that his guarantee is as good as a bond. Mr. Shuman was married to Miss Ellen Thomas, a daughter of David Thomas, a well known citizen of Malad, Idaho, and to them has been born a son, Earl Warren, whose birth occurred in February, 1907. Mr. and Mrs. Shuman are well known in Tremonton, where they have many friends, their social position being equal to that of the creditable name and place which he has won for himself in business circles.
[Source: Utah since Statehood: Historical and Biographical Volume 2; By Noble Warrum; Publ. 1919; Transcribed and submitted by Andrea Stawski Pack.]


WELLS, BETHIAH FORDHAM
We present above the kindly, benevolent features of Mrs. Bethiah Wells, the pioneer mother of Box Elder county. In March, 1851, Mrs. Wells and her husband, Lyman D. Wells, in connections with Jonathan S. Wells, Samuel Meacham, wife and two children; John M. McCreary, wife and child, moved up from Ogden to find a home in Box Elder county. They settled on Willow creek and immediately began the struggle which is terminating so gloriously in making Box Elder one of the most fruitful and desirable in all the world. Mrs. Wells was born in Oakland, Oakland county, Michigan, in 1831, to Elijah and Bethiah Fordham. It was her father, it will be remembered, who built the wooden oxen in the Nauvoo temple, and who is associated with the events of early Mormon history. He was quite closely associated with the Prophet Joseph Smith, and he it was upon whom the remarkable healing manifestation, so well known in church history, was made in Commerce. Mrs. Wells as a young girl was present at the time, and recalls with great vividness the incidents of the occasion, and bears fervent testimony of the miraculous power manifested. She has gone through many and varied experiences, which she was borne with great equanimity, and is able to present us today the tender, cheerful, womanly countenance represented above. She has borne nine children, four of whom are still living to honor and reverence "mother."
[Source: The Box Elder News - September 1, 1910; Transcribed and submitted by Allison Morgan.]


WELLS, JASON
We present herewith the picture of Mr. Jason Wells who bears the distinction of being the first male child born within the pale of Box Elder county. Eliza Mallory, now deceased, a cousin of Mr. Wells, was born six weeks earlier than he, so that he is now the oldest living native inhabitant. Mr. Wells was born in a wagon box in Willard, near where J. M. White's house now stands, on August 23, 1851, so that he is now in his fifty-ninth year, representing practically the age of the county. Mr. Wells is a very modest, quiet, unassuming gentleman, so thoroughly devoted to the mother that bore him that it took nearly half a century to give him enough courage to go out from under her care and establish a family of his own. Fortunately now, however, he has a very creditable little family, and he is pursing the even tenor of his way in dear quiet old Willard, the primitive town of Box Elder county.
[Source: The Box Elder News - September 1, 1910; Transcribed and submitted by Allison Morgan


WHEATLEY, JOHN G.
John G. Wheatley, county clerk of Box Elder county and a resident of Brigham, was born in Honeyville, Utah, June 28, 1879. His father, Thomas Wheatley, a native of England, came to America with his parents Thomas and Catherine (Varley) Wheatley, who made their way to Utah in 1859. They first settled at Bountiful and subsequently removed to Carson City, Nevada, where the grandfather of Mr. Wheatley of this review followed mining for about fourteen years. On the expiration of that period he returned to Utah and settled at Honeyville, where he resided throughout his remaining days, and the grandmother of Mr. Wheatley has also passed away. The father, Thomas Wheatley, Jr., was educated in the schools of Carson City, Nevada, and in Utah took up the profession of teaching but later also turned his attention to farming and divided his time between teaching and agricultural pursuits for about four years. He has since concentrated his efforts and attention upon farming and stock raising, in which he is now extensively and profitably engaged. He is also a director of the Farmers Cache Union, a director of the Mutual Fire Insurance Company of Tremonton and Bear river valley and a director of the State Bank of Brigham City and otherwise interested in business affairs. He is a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and has been bishop of Honeyville ward for the past twenty years. In the work of the church he has ever taken an active interest and in 1893-4 he served on a mission to England and was president of the Sheffield Conference. The cause of public education has also found in him a stalwart champion and he has served as a member of the board of education of Box Elder county. His political endorsement is given to the republican party and he is keenly interested in all that promotes the political principles in which he believes or advances the civic standards of his community. He wedded Mary Ellen Gibbs, a native of Brigham and a daughter of John and Mary (Langdon) Gibbs, who were natives of England and became pioneer settlers of Box Elder county, where they took up their abode in the early '50s. The maternal grandfather of Mr. Wheatley there followed farming and he, too, was active in the work of the church. Both he and his wife have passed away. Their daughter, who became Mrs. Wheatley, had a family of nine children, four sons and five daughters, of whom John G. is the eldest child. Five of the family are now living, but the mother passed away in 1914 at the age of fifty-four. John G. Wheatley obtained his education in the district schools and in the Agricultural College at Logan, in which he spent two years. When twenty-one years of age he was called to serve on a mission and on the 3d of March, 1900, went to Nottingham, England, where he was on duty for two years, acting for a part of that time as clerk of the conference. At present he is active in class and Sunday school work. After returning from England Mr. Wheatley engaged in general merchandising at Honeyville for two years and then turned his attention to farming, which occupation he has since successfully followed. In the fall of 1916 he was elected to the office of county clerk and made so creditable a record in the position that he was re-elected m 1918. His political allegiance has always been given to the republican party and he gives to it unfaltering support. He has membership in the Box Elder Commercial Club and he was a member of the local board of war activities in Box Elder county. On the 1st of March, 1900, in Salt Lake Temple, Mr. Wheatley was married to Miss Rosa M. Boothe, a native of Brigham and a daughter of Louis M. Boothe, a pioneer settler of the state, who is now living at the age of eighty-six years. Her mother bore the maiden name of Elizabeth Hunsaker. To Mr. and Mrs. Wheatley have been born two children, Othella and May, aged respectively fourteen and twelve years. The family reside at No. 32 Second street, West, and are widely and favorably known in Brigham. Deeply interested in all that pertains to the public welfare, Mr. Wheatley has been a progressive citizen, cooperating heartily in all that has to do with the material, intellectual, social, political and moral development of his community.
[Source: Utah since Statehood: Historical and Biographical Volume 2; By Noble Warrum; Publ. 1919; Transcribed and submitted by Andrea Stawski Pack.]


WRIGHTON, WILLIAM
Box Elder's First Horticulturist
The man who raised the first peach in Box Elder county is still living; he is hale and hearty and is a perfect encyclopedia of early pioneer history. He is 82 years young, and loves nothing better than to recount his early experiences. In doing this he doesn't say that such and such a thing happened about such a time, but he hits the nail squarely on the head, particularizes every circumstance, gives year, month, and exact date of the month. You wonder at first if he has just risen from reading his diary and is reciting to you, schoolboy fashion, but you learn soon that he never kept a diary, but that he kept things in his head, and that remembering with exactitude is his long suit. It is refreshing indeed to talk with a man whose experiences have made a permanent impression upon his mind, and who is prepared to recall with such facility. William Wrighton was born in Treadington, Worcester county, England, December 25, 1828, and emigrated to American in 1850. In 1853 he reached Salt Lake City, and in the spring of 1855 was called by President Brigham Young to settle in Brigham City. At this time President Young was preaching throughout the settlements, advising the people to plant trees and orchards and to set about making permanent homes. This advice had a rather strange sound to people living in Brigham City, who realized that at that time they were visited by heavy frosts every month of the year. Nevertheless, they had confidence in the counsel and decided to carry it out. That fall, when Mr. Wrighton went to Salt Lake City, he saw "Peach Stones" on the market. He found on inquiry that they were selling for one dollar per hundred, and he invested in one hundred of them. He brought them to Brigham, put them in the ground and permitted them to freeze during the winter. In the spring he planted them and was both pleased and surprised that they grew nicely during that season. When they were on year old he set them out sixteen feet apart. They did well also this season. In the spring of 1858 came the move south on account of the coming of Johnstone's army. Mr. Wrighton was left to rear guard, and he took occasion as long as he remained, i.e., until the latter part of May, to keep his peach orchard watered. Fortunately a friend remained behind still another month and was kind enough to keep the trees irrigated. In the fall, when Mr. Wrighton returned he found luscious peaches awaiting him. These were the first grown in Brigham City and in Box Elder county and were raised on Mr. Wrighton's lot on the corner of First South and First West, where he still lives. Thus encouraged, Mr. Wrighton began to raise other fruit, his next planting consisting of four cherries and four pear trees which he obtained from John Reading in Salt Lake City. And so this, dear Reader, is the very humble beginning of the raising of peaches and fruit in Box Elder county. Does it not seem strange now that the industry has reached such immense prominence and importance, that the man who planted the first "pit" is still living and is able to recount his wonderful history. Today let us all drink a soda to his health, and wish him still many happy years. Other facts in connection with the life of our pioneer fruit grower might be of interest, so we proceed. Mr. Wrighton is on and never has been a horticulturist by profession. His vocation was a carpenter and contractor, and he was been prominently identified with the building interest of Brigham City, and many of our houses were built by him. He did the first work on our courthouse, and assisted in remodeling it several times. He was superintendent of the Tabernacle when building. For seven years he was superintendent of the building Department of the United Order, when that system flourished here. He was a firm believer in the fundamental ideas of that system, and when he was called to California in 1878 to visit his sick father it was source of great pride to him that he could go glad throughout in goods manufactured wholly in Brigham City. He was happy, too, in taking each of his three brothers there a splendid beaver hat manufactured here. For more than fifty years Mr. Wrighton followed his vocation, but during the entire time, and even up to this day, he was taken great pleasure in fruit growing as an avocation. After his first success as a grower, his neighbors also became interested in the work, and they made application to him for suggestions and assistance. Accordingly, on the advent of the railroad, he sent east to a nursery in Bloomington, Ill., for 3,000 assorted trees for himself and neighbors. He himself planted five or six different kinds of pears, ten kinds of peaches, half a dozen varieties of cherries, apricots, German prunes, hazel nuts, gooseberries, currants, strawberries, raspberries, etc. Previous to this, Mr. Wrighton had introduced apple trees into Brigham, having purchased two Rhode Island Greening buds in Salt Lake City. Once of the best peaches Mr. Wrighton ever raised was called the Watson Champion, named from the owner, Mr. John Watson of Salt Lake City, who gave him the buds. One of his best cherries was the Purple Gain, for which he frequently received as much as twenty-five cents per pound, and he recalls one season when Mr. Fishburn paid him twenty-five dollars for the harvest from a singletree. His Rhode Island Greenings he sold several seasons to very good advantage, as they were always of superior quality. One season in particular he remembers having sold apples measuring from 16 to 18 1/2 inches in circumference to Mr. Gail at Corinne for four and on-half dollars per bushel. Neither the growing or marketing of fruit, however, ever made Mr. Wrighton wealthy, but since the labor gave him so much pleasure, and has proven of such great significance to the city and county, we consider his services highly worthy of commemoration.
[Source: The Box Elder News - September 1, 1910; Transcribed and submitted by Allison Morgan.]


ZUNDEL, JOSEPH M.
Joseph M. Zundel, superintendent of mails at the Logan post office, was born in Willard, Utah, December 23, 1881. His father, Abraham Zundel, was a native of Pennsylvania and devoted his life to farming and blacksmithing. He came to Utah in 1856 with his parents, Jacob and Sarah (Forstner) Zundel, who came from Wurtemberg, Germany, as converts to the teachings of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter day Saints and settled in Ogden, Utah, and later in Willard, Boxelder County. The father was one of the first missionaries to the Salmon river in Idaho, with headquarters at Port Lemhi, and he was also one of the pioneers in promoting the work of irrigation there. He also carried the' mails from Willard to Fort Lemhi for several years and was postmaster at Willard for a number of years. In addition to his missionary labours in the Salmon river district he spent several years with the Indians at Washakie, assisting in the establishment of that village in Boxelder county. He spoke the Indian language fluently. Throughout his life he remained an active worker in the church and was counsellor to the president of the Malad stake, while for fifteen years he filled the position of bishop's counsellor and for eight years occupied the office of bishop. In political circles, too, he was a recognized leader and filled various positions of public honour and trust. He was justice of the peace, was mayor of Willard, served as a member of the state constitutional convention and was the first state senator from Boxelder and Tooele Counties after the admission of Utah into the Union. Thus along the lines of material, political, social and moral progress he left the impress of his individuality and ability upon the history of his district and his state. He was called to his final rest on the 20th of March, 1917. The mother, Abigail (Abbott) Zundel, was born in Illinois and, surviving her husband, now makes her home in Willard, Utah. There are six brothers and four sisters in the family, all of whom are living, Joseph M. being the next youngest. Joseph M. Zundel was a pupil in the district schools of Willard and two years at Washakie, where he was the only white male pupil. He next spent two years at the Agricultural College of Utah, at Logan. He then took up the occupations of farming and blacksmithing, which he followed at Willard and Salt Lake City. In July, 1903, he came to Logan and on the 1st of September entered the post office as one of the first city letter carriers, spending fifty-seven months as such, when he was transferred as a clerk. He served for nine years as a clerk, filling every clerical position therein, and was on July 1, 1917, promoted as superintendent of mails. He is making a very efficient officer in this position, being most careful, prompt and systematic in the discharge of his duties. In 1903 Mr. Zundel was married to Miss Kate Bench, daughter of Edwin and Mary Ann (Anson) Bench, early settlers. They have three children: Joseph La Monte, born November 13, 1905; Blanche Kate, May 23, 1908; and Pearl, February 12, 1913. The two oldest are now in school. Mr. Zundel is active in the work of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter day Saints, having served as assistant superintendent of the Sunday school and president of the Young Men's Mutual Improvement Association. His political allegiance is usually given to the Republican Party yet he maintains a somewhat independent attitude. He turns for recreation largely to the study of engineering, accountancy and systematic business methods, in which he is intensely interested. During the period of his residence in Logan he has made many friends and all who know him speak of him in terms of warm regard.
(Source: Utah since Statehood Historical and Biographical, by Noble Warrum, editor, Vol 1, Publ 1919. Transcribed by Wayne Cheeseman)

Divider Line