History and Genealogy
for
Juab County, Utah

Volunteers Dedicated to
Free Genealogy

utah1big


BIOGRAPHIES



JOHN C. CHARLESWORTH

John C. Charlesworth, of Mesa county, residing on the Mormon mesa in Plateau valley, is a native and a product of the West, born, reared, educated, married and engaged in business in various parts of the country in this section. He first saw the light of this world in Millard county, Utah, in 1852.  He is the son of Thomas and Alice (Barrows) Charlesworth, both natives of England, the father born in London and the mother in Sheffield. At the age of eight years the father went to sea as a cabin boy and the hazardous but infatuating life upon which he had entered held his interest and kept him employed until he was nineteen; and during this period he visited many parts of the globe, and had the opportunity to observe and study mankind under a great variety of circumstances. In his young manhood he came to the United States and settled in Ohio, where he wrought as a brickmaker, a craft at which he had previously acquired some facility. In 1844 he moved to Utah and is now living in Millard county, that state, actively engaged in farming. His wife died there in 1896, at the age of seventy-three. Their offspring numbered twelve, of whom John was the fourth. He was educated in his native county, remaining at home with his parents until he was eighteen, then starting out in life for himself as a farmer there, and this occupation he followed in that neighborhood five years. At the end of that period he went to Arizona, and for six months conducted successfully the operations of a flourishing vineyard; but desiring a different kind of occupation as a farmer, he moved to Idaho, where he followed farming in general and raising stock for three years. His next employment was as a ranchman and stock-grower in Wyoming, which kept him busy for two years. He then came to Colorado and located on the excellent ranch which he now occupies on Mormon mesa, in Mesa county; and on this property, which he has greatly improved, he has ever since conducted a prosperous and profitable business as a general farmer and stock man. He was married in 1873 to Miss Mary Ann Ferguson and they have thirteen children, Mary E., Francis, John M., Alice, Ellen, Gilbert E., Delroy, William, Leslie E., Lester E., Opal L., Violet and Amy.

[Source: Progressive Men of Western Colorado, Publ 1905. Transcribed by Kim Mohler]


GEORGE W. CROPPER
George W. Cropper, the efficient and fearless sheriff of Millard county, making his home at Deseret, was there born in 1868.  His parents, L. R. and Fannie (Powell) Cropper, being among the earliest of the pioneers of Deseret.  His father was a native of Texas and belonged to that sturdy stock that early settled the Lone Star state.  Becoming converted to the faith of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in 1852, he removed to Millard county, and in meeting conditions here displayed the same courageous spirit that marked his pioneer forebears.  As an Indian fighter in the early days of the territory he did much for the state.  After locating in Deseret he engaged in ranching and stock raising and for many years held a foremost place in that line of endeavor.  During his active life he occupied many positions of public honor and trust.  For twenty years he was justice of the peace, was also postmaster at Desert and filled the position of county commissioner.

George W. Cropper was educated in the district schools and in the Brigham Young University at Provo and following his graduation he turned his attention to cattle raising in which business he has since been interested.  For twenty years he was associated with B. F. Saunders in cattle raising and from his sixteenth year he has largely lived in the saddle and has traveled on horseback over every state in the west.  He is conceded to be one of the best cattlemen in the Intermountain country and has been made the hero of many novels treating of cowboys and cattlemen, notably those written by Harold Bell Wright.   He has probably rounded up more cattle than any man in Utah and has lived for years, both winter and summer, in the open.

The people of Millard county, looking over the field for a capable candidate for sheriff who was at once fearless, efficient and honorable, in 1918 selected George W. Cropper and he was elected to the position.  That the choice was a wise one has been fully demonstrated.  Clean-cut, cool and without a particle of fear, he is a typical officer of the law for whom criminals entertain a wholesome dread.  He is at the same time kindly and courteous and has frequently acceded to the request of moving picture companies by doing unique riding and cowboy stunts, thereby saving the bones of their “stars.”

In1895 Mr. Cropper was united in marriage to Miss Elinor Erickson, a daughter of Nelson Erickson, of Deseret, a well known farmer.  Their children are: Neva, Lincoln, Cuman, Kate, George W., Wayne and Elaine, twins, and Blaine.  The eldest son, Lincoln, was a volunteer in the World was and spent twelve months in hard fighting in France.  Hew was advanced to the rank of sergeant for gallantry, a trait characteristic of the Cropper family. 

While Mr. Cropper is now giving his attention in large measure to the duties of the office of sheriff, he is at the same time the representative of the Livingston Land  & Cattle Company of Salt Lake, is a director of the State Bank of Oasis and chairman of the board of supervisors of drainage system No. 2.  His marked capability and resourcefulness enable him to capably fill all of these different positions and his record as a business man, as a citizen and as a public official is indeed an enviable one.

[Source: Utah since Statehood: Historical and Biographical Volume 2; By Noble Warrum; Publ. 1919; Transcribed by Richard Ramos]

EDWARD DAY
Among the oldest of the pioneer families of Fillmore are numbered the descendants of the Day brothers.  The first of the name to become identified with the pioneer development of Millard county when the work of improvement and up building had scarcely been begun in this section of the state was John Day, who wedded Mary Clark, also a member of one of the pioneer families.  Their son, Edward Day, now one of the leading merchants of Fillmore, is an excellent representative of the class of men who are developing and up building this section of the state.  He was born in Fillmore in 1874 and attended the district schools of the period through the winter months.  His early boyhood was largely a period of industry and diligence, for from that time that he was fourteen years of age he herded cattle.  He was active in that work for about eight ears and then secured employment in a sawmill, devoting three or four years to labor of that kind.  He next took up the business of sheepherding, which he followed until 1901, when he was married and established a home of his own.  He early learned that he must make up by reading what he had lost in the way of educational training in early life an after his marriage he became a most earnest and unremitting student and deep thinker, keeping in touch with the trend of modern thought and progress along many lines.

In his prosperous business career as a general merchant he has followed methods that neither require nor demand disguise.  His record illustrates that business can be conducted along profitable lines and in accordance with the strictest principles of honor.  He has never indulged in profiteering in the least degree and to some extent he has forced others to cut their prices on several occasions.  Although located away from the central district of the city, his reputation for fairness has won for him a trade not inferior to that of his competitors.

In was in 1901 that Mr. Day was married to Miss Hattie Starley, a daughter of John Starley, one of the pioneers of Millard county.  She is a granddaughter of Thomas Wade, who was one of the first of the Latter-day Saints in Utah, and he helped to build the pipes for the great organ in the tabernacle at Salt Lake.  He also worked on the temple at St. George.   Mrs. Day is likewise a direct descendant of the Tarbuck and Starley families, prominently connected with Utah’s history.  To Mr. and Mrs. Day have been born three children: Verion Starley, la Rue and Nolan Eugene.

Mr. Day was baptized in the Mormon church and while he still adheres to that faith he has his own belief concerning methods that should govern the church organization, believing that there are many who do not fully live up to the teachings  as faithful disciples of the Lord Jesus Christ.  He has ever endeavored to follow closely in the footsteps of Him who came not to be ministered unto but to minister.  He has maintained an independent political course and believes that in politics as in business the Golden Rule should be practiced and is an opponent, as he expresses it, of the “Rule of gold.”    It is his belief that the parties of Jefferson and Lincoln have outlived their usefulness and that the only difference now existing between them is that of office holding.  While he has no remedy to offer for this condition, he feels that a close observance of the Golden Rule would materially help the situation.  That this is true there is no doubt.  Today what the world lacks is a recognition of the duties and obligations of man to his fellowmen and an elimination of that selfishness which is causing every individual to look to his own interests with little regard for the rights, privileges and opportunities of others.  “Whatsoever ye would that men should do unto you, do ye also unto them,” would bring about an era of peace and contentment such as the world has never known.

[Source: Utah since Statehood: Historical and Biographical Volume 2; By Noble Warrum; Publ. 1919; Transcribed by Richard Ramos]

GEORGE DAY
George Day, who has the distinction of being the pioneer general merchant of Delta, was born in Fillmore, Utah, in 1881 and belongs to a family whose name is synonymous with that of the thriving county seat of Millard county.  His parents were George and Tamson (Steward) Day.  The father was a native of England.  Becoming a convert to the faith of the Mormon church, he left his native land and made his way across the American continent to Utah, where he settled in 1875.  The Steward family, of which the mother is a representative, were early members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and resided at Nauvoo at the time of the burning of the temple in that city.  They reached Utah in 1849 and thus from the period of earliest development have been connected with its history and its upbuilding.

George Day was educated in the schools of Fillmore and assisted his father upon the home farm until he reached the age of fourteen years.  He then went to Wyoming, where he took up railroad work.  Later he removed to Nevada and for two years worked on a farm.  He then turned his attention to the sawmill business on Snake creek.  For a while he resided in Garrison and later he assisted in erecting the pipe line from Wawa to Newhouse, in that state.  His next work was a wood contract and later he engaged in ranching in the Ruby valley for two years.  Subsequently he became identified with merchandising at Blackhorse and in 1908 he came to Delta, where he established the pioneer store in the now thriving town.  He has since continued merchandising here and today carries a large and well selected line of general merchandise, for which he finds a ready sale owing to his progressive methods, his thorough reliability and his earnest desire to please his patrons.

In 1918 Mr. Day was united in marriage to Miss Irene Gifford, a daughter of Alpheus Gifford, of Springdale, Utah.  Her parents were pioneers of that section of the state and prominent members of the church.  Mr. Day is a member of the Delta Commercial Club and stands among the foremost of the active citizens who are making Delta one of the thriving modern cities of the west.

[Source: Utah Since Statehood; Transcribed by Christi Boyer.]


GROVER ABRAHAM GILES
Usually in long settled communities the posts of honor are held by men who have passed the meridian of life, but though Fillmore is one of the oldest towns in Utah and Millard county was settled many years ago, the responsible position of county attorney is occupied by a young man who is but twenty-seven years of age, the efficient incumbent being Grover A. Giles.  He was born in Fillmore in 1892, a son of Joseph Sinkler and Annie E. (Carling) Giles.  His father is one of the pioneer residents of the county, coming to Utah in 1857 as hospital steward in Johnston’s army.  Embracing the Mormon faith, he retired from the army service and located in Fillmore in 1857.  He is a native of Pennsylvania and a man of varied educational attainments and marked ability.  He was admitted to practice of law when but eighteen years of age, but after locating in Fillmore he practiced medicine for a time and then took up the practice of law, in which he has remained active for the past sixty years or more.  He has also been a most untiring worker in the church, has become a high priest and has given his full time to the service of the church in every particular.  During his long and useful life  he has occupied almost every civic office in the city and county, and his worth has placed  him among the most honored and valued residents of his section of the state.

Grover A. Giles was educated in the graded and high schools of Fillmore and in the University of Utah, from which institution he was graduated in 1917 with the degree of Bachelor of Laws.  He was then admitted to practice at Salt lake City in 1917 and, returning to his home, was elected to the responsible position of county attorney. He has proven most capable and successful in that position, discharging his duties so ably and faithfully that he was nominated for a second term and elected by a handsome majority, his second term expiring in 1920.  The public and the profession acknowledge his ability in the practice of law, and all who know him predict for him a notable future.  He has at the same time built up an excellent private practice and in the preparation of his cases he displays the utmost thoroughness. His presentation of a cause is always clear and concise, his deductions are logical and his reasoning convincing.

In 1917 Mr. Giles was married to Miss Mabel E. James, a daughter of Richard William James, of Chehalis county, Washington.  They have an interesting daughter, Amorel Aurlene.  Mr. Giles is a devout member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and for a number of years has been a member of the choir, also class leader of the elders’ class, chairman of the Millard stake social committee, counselor to the president of the Young Men’s Mutual and has been ordained and elder.  He is actuated by a most progressive spirit and has used his talents wisely and well for the up building of his own fortunes, for the protection of the legal interests of the county and for the development of the church.

[Source: Utah since Statehood: Historical and Biographical Volume 2; By Noble Warrum; Publ. 1919; Transcribed by Richard Ramos]


WILLIAM BENTLEY HAMILTON, M. D.
Dr. William Bentley Hamilton, a capable physician whose growing ability is the result of broad experience and wide study, practices successfully in Delta, where since 1906 he has made his home. He was born in the state of Pennsylvania in 1874 and is indebted to the public school system there for the early educational opportunities which he enjoyed.  He afterward attended the Fredonia Institute at Fredonia, Pennsylvania, also the State Normal College and the Grove City College, and liberal training thus qualified him for earnest and effective work in educational circles.  He taught school for seven years but regarded this merely as an initial step to other professional labor, as it was his earnest desire to engage in the practice of medicine.  With that end in view he entered the University of Buffalo as a medical student and was graduated there from in 1904.  After winning the M. D. degree he took up hospital work at the McKees-Rock General Hospital at Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, and later he removed to Tonawanda, New York, where he engaged in the private practice of medicine for two years.  He afterward pursued a post graduate course in the Brooklyn (N. Y.)  Post Graduate Medical College and in 1906 he came to Utah. 

After spending two years in Sevier county, he located in Millard county, where he has since made his home.  Here he has continuously practiced his profession save for brief absences, devoted to post graduate work in skin diseases and gynecology, along which lines he has specialized, developing expert skill and ability in those branches of medical practice.  His success as a physician in Millard county has been most gratifying, and he is held in high esteem throughout this section of the state.  Aside from his practice he has become identified with business interests in Millard county as the owner of five hundred acres of valuable land, upon a portion of which some of the finest hot springs in southern Utah are located.  One of these when exploited will undoubtedly make the district one of the most celebrated health resorts of the west.

In 1914 Dr. Hamilton was united in marriage to Miss Harriet Riley, of Beaver, Utah, and in the social circles of Delta they occupy an enviable position, the number of their friends being almost coextensive with the number of their acquaintances.  Dr. Hamilton is recognized as a most  conscientious practitioner, very careful in the diagnosis of his cases and seldom if ever at fault in foretelling the outcome of disease.  He keeps in touch with the trend of modern professional thought and progress, wide reading making him familiar with every new scientific idea put forth.

[Source: Utah since Statehood: Historical and Biographical Volume 2; By Noble Warrum; Publ. 1919; Transcribed by Richard Ramos]


GABRIEL RILEY HUNTSMAN
Prominent among the energetic, farsighted and successful business men of Utah is numbered Gabriel Riley Huntsman, a merchant of Fillmore, in which he was born in 1856, his parents being Gabriel and Eunice E. (Holbrook) Huntsman.  His father was a pioneer merchant of Fillmore.  He had crossed the plains in the late ‘40s from his native state of Ohio and in 1852 settled at Fillmore, at which time it was made the capital of the territory.  He married Eunice E. Holbrook, a daughter of Chandler Holbrook, one of the pioneers of 1848, who was for a time engaged in the mercantile business and made many trips to the Missouri river, guiding the early emigrants across the plains to Utah.  Both the Huntsman and the Holbrook families were stock raisers.

Gabriel R. Huntsman was born in the old Fillmore fort, which stood on the spot now occupied by the family home.  After completing his education in the Brigham Young Academy he became associated with his father in merchandising and in the stock breeding business.  He now conducts a general merchandise store, which under his guidance has grown to be one of the largest in the state. He erected the building which he now occupies, which has a frontage of eighty feet and a depth of one hundred and ten feet. Its three stories are filled with an immense stock of general merchandise.  Mr. Huntsman has been one of the men of patriotic spirit who have declined to profiteer on any portion of his stock.  Good which he purchased before the era of high prices are still being sold at far below the present prices, carrying only a fair profit above the original cost.  In addition to his mercantile business he owns one hundred and thirty acres of land which in under cultivation and is being further developed and improved by him  He is also engaged in stock raising and has two hundred and fifty acres of grazing land.
Mr. Huntsman was married to Hannah Hansen, a daughter of Hans Hansen and one of the most accomplished women of the county.  They have five children.  Gabriel Alonzo, the eldest, has charge  of the farm.  Stella is the wife of Elen Day, of Fillmore.  Willard R. has just returned from service in the World was, in which he made a splendid record as a member of the famous Three Hundred and Sixty-third.  George and Nelda are the younger members of the family.

Mr. and Mrs. Huntsman have given their children every educational opportunity.  Alonzo, Stella and Willard are graduates of the University of Utah and Alonzo was the prize debater at the university during his years in that institution. Willard, whose ambition to become a lawyer was interrupted by the war with Germany, has pursued his studies in the University of Kansas and in the law department of the Chicago University.  Another talented member of the family was Edna, a teacher of music at the Brigham Young University at Provo until accidentally killed in 1912 on the Denver & Rio Grande Railroad at Provo.

Mr. Huntsman’s long residence in Millard county, his liberal and progressive business methods and his probity have made him one of the most popular and highly respected residents of this section of the state.  He has prospered in his undertakings as the result of progressive and thoroughly upright business methods and in addition to his mercantile and farming interests he has become one of the largest owners of city property in Fillmore. He has never sought to figure in politics and has held no public offices, concentrating his efforts and attention upon his business and his family, the community recognizing in him an ideal husband and father.  However, there is no plan or project for the general good that does not count upon and receive his support.  He seeks to further the public welfare in every possible way and his devotion to the general good has received many tangible proofs.

[Source: Utah since Statehood: Historical and Biographical Volume 2; By Noble Warrum; Publ. 1919; Transcribed by Richard Ramos]


DANIEL KENNEY
From his youth, Daniel Kenney, one of the leading ranch and cattle men of Mesa County, has been connected with the stock industry of the West, and in his career has well illustrated the truth that singleness of purpose and constancy of effort are winning factors in the battle of life.  He is a native of the section of country in which he now lives, born at Holden, Millard County, Utah, on April 18, 1872, and the son of John and Phoebe (Alden) Kenney.  He was reared in the place of his nativity to the age of seventeen, and educated in its public schools.  Then, in 1889, he became a resident of Colorado and, locating in Plateau Valley in Mesa County, entered the employ of the Alta Land & Live Stock Company, with which he remained three years.  At the end of that period he returned to Utah, and during the next seven years he was employed by the Webster City Cattle Company.  In the fall of 1893 he once more took up his residence in Plateau Valley and bought the ranch on which he now lives, two miles and a half, west of Plateau City.  This comprises one hundred and sixty acres, sixty five of which are irrigated and yield abundantly.  He gives his attention principally to the cattle industry and is making it pay with increasing volume in its profits.  On July 3, 1897, he was married to Miss Mary Anderson, a native of Ellsworth County, Kansas, and daughter of David and Jessie (Scrimgeour) Anderson, a sketch of whom will be found on another page.  Mr. and Mrs. Kenney have one son, William Thomas.  Mr. Kenney is a Republican in politics and fraternally he belongs to the order of Odd Fellows and its adjunct organization, the Daughters of Rebekah, holding his membership at Collbran.  He is esteemed as an excellent and progressive citizen in all parts of the county.

[Source: Progressive Men of Western Colorado, Publ 1905. Transcribed By Joanne Scobee Morgan]


WILLIAM KENNEY
Not among those whom poverty restrains, but rather of the number whom untoward obstruction stimulates, the late William Kenney, of Plateau City, in Mesa county, whose untimely death on February 19, 1900, at the early age of thirty-eight, when all his powers were in full maturity and his aspirations were working out a career of benefit to his fellow men while advancing his own fortunes in the sane and healthful atmosphere of utilitarian service, was universally lamented and left a void in industrial and commercial circles as well as in the influence of good citizenship in his community which it is difficult to fill, gave to the world immediately around him an example of worth and high endeavor which will be full of incitement to those who contemplate it rightly.  He was a native of Millard county, Utah, born at Holden on March 22, 1866, the son of John and Phoebe (Alden) Kenney, the family a native of Dublin, Ireland, and the mother of Bristol, England.  The father was reared in his native land and early in life became a sailor.  While yet a young man he was converted to Mormonism and then determined to join the great body of his church in Utah.  There he met and married his wife, who was also a member of the Mormon church and had emigrated to Utah from England in 1855.  They are still living near the sacred altars of their faith, and of their six children four are now out in the world engaged in its stirring activities, while two have passed over to the activities which know no weariness, one dying at the age of eleven months.  William was the second born in the family, and remained at home until he reached the age of fifteen, receiving a limited scholastic training in the common schools and a thorough discipline in useful labor on his father’s farm.  Then going to Nevada, he was employed for a time in driving freight teams, and on his return to Utah became a range rider in the service of cattle outfits.  In 1884, when eighteen years old, he entered the employ of the Alta Land and Live Stock Company in western Colorado and eastern Utah, having his headquarters most of the time in the Plateau Valley.  He was industrious and economical, and with commendable and characteristic enterprise soon started a cattle industry of his own on a small scale, being one of the first to engage in that business in the valley, and also kept on working for the cattle men of the section a few years longer.  He advanced rapidly and soon became a leader in his business in this fruitful valley, buying one hundred and sixty acres of wild land two miles southwest of Plateau City in 1893.  By improving this he transformed his uncanny waste into a fine ranch and built on it a commodious and attractive modern dwelling, a view of which is presented on the opposite page.  In time he increased his land there to three hundred and sixty acres, and also bought and improved another tract of one hundred and sixty acres four miles south of Plateau City and acquired the ownership of several hundred acres of grazing lands. He was extensively engaged in the cattle industry, buying, feeding and selling stock on a large scale, and became widely known as one of the leading live-stock men of the Western slope.  He died on February 19, 1900, from injuries received a year before in having his horse fall on him while he was riding after stock.  He had hosts of friends in many parts of the Rocky Mountain region, and was held in the highest esteem everywhere throughout the range of his acquaintance.  He was a great lover and an excellent judge of horses and always owned a number of good ones.  While an ardent Republican in political faith he never held or aspired to public office, holding and elevated and influential position in the councils of his party, but ever averse to the honors and emoluments of official station, finding full satisfaction for his ambitions in his business.  Some eight or nine years before his death the golden thread of sentiment began to run permanently through the woof and warp of his life, and on Christmas day, in 1893, he was married to Miss Grace Anderson, a daughter of David and Jessie (Scrimgeour) Anderson, a sketch of whom will be found on another page.  Mr. and Mrs. Kenney became the parents of one child, their daughter Grace Edna, who was born on June 1, 1896.  Since Mr. Kenney’s death Mrs. Kenney has married with Orville L. Dawson, a native of Kansas and for several years a resident of Plateau valley.

[Source: Progressive Men of Western Colorado, Publ 1905. Transcribed by Marilyn Clore]


JAMES ANDREW MELVILLE
There are few men living in Utah today whose labors have been of more essential worth in the up building of the state than those of James Andrew Melville, who, actuated by a spirit of progressiveness, has made most valuable contribution to Utah’s development. He was born in the state of Iowa in 1852, a son of Alexander and Jane Anne (Duets??) Melville, who were of Scotch and English birth respectively and, coming to the new world, cast in their lot with the pioneer settlers of Iowa.  In 1852, during the infancy of their son, James A., they crossed the country to Utah, settling at Fillmore, Millard county, being among the first residents of that town, which had but recently been selected as the site of the state capital.  Being a very active, energetic and farsighted business man, Mr. Melville was one of the builders of the state hose there and also of the old fort, which was erected as a protection against the raids of the Indians.

James A. Melville was educated in the graded schools of Millard county, having such training as cold be obtained in the district in those days.  He had barely reached his teens when he became an Indian scout and as a member of the company commanded by Captain James C. Owens he rendered service in Sevier and Millard counties.  When thirty years of age he was associated with Judge Joshua Greenwood and United States Senator William H. King in the sawmill business and later he became identified with the building of the railway between Salt lake and park City, now a branch of the Union Pacific.  For the next few years he devoted his efforts to the building of canals and irrigation ditches throughout the state and thus in still another field he contributed in marked measure to the development and improvement of Utah.  In 1906 he located in the town of Delta, Millard county, ad that thriving municipality largely stands as a monument to his ability and energy.  He organized the Melville Irrigation Company, which waters more than twelve thousand acres of the famous Lucern lands of Utah.  He was conspicuous in connection with the organization and the development of the Delta land & Water Company, was also the organizer of the Delta State Bank of Delta and remains as its president. Associated with Thomas Collister and Joseph J. Cannon, he purchased the Abraham Irrigation Company, of which he also became the president. The project, small at the time of the purchase, was enlarged and rebuilt and now serves twelve thousand acres of the finest land in Utah and has been an essential feature in the development of fortunes for many farmers.  Everywhere in Millard county are evidences of the keen intellectuality and unabating energy of James A. Melville.  He has indeed been a most prominent factor not only in city building but in the upbuilding of the commonwealth as well.

Mr. Melville’s popularity with his people is evidenced by the fact that he has held many of the minor offices in Millard county and has been called to represent the county in the state legislature and his district in the state senate.  His course in connection with the legislative interest of Utah was marked by the same progressiveness that has been manifest in his business career.

Mr. Melville was married to Miss Imogene J. Gibbs, a daughter of William and Eliza Biggs, of Fillmore, and they now have four living children:  James Alexander, a well known lawyer of Salt Lake Cit; John Harvey, who looks after his father’s interest’s in Millard county and also his own interests in Utah and Idaho; Mrs. Lois Greenwood, of Salt lake City; and Mrs. Eva Brown, also of Salt Lake City.  While Mr. Melville makes him home in Salt Lake City, where he is a director of the Deseret National Bank, his land interests are in the south.   He has always been a consistent member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, was a member of the bishopric of his county for sixteen years and is now a high priest.  He has indeed made valuable contribution to Utah’s development and progress and my well be termed one of the benefactors of the state.

[Source: Utah since Statehood: Historical and Biographical Volume 2; By Noble Warrum; Publ. 1919; Transcribed by Richard Ramos]


WILLILAM HASTIE RUSSELL
William Hastie Russell, of Fillmore, who since 1919 ahs been the manager of the East Millard Cooperative Company, was born in Scotland in 1885.  He is a son of John and Margaret (Hastie) Russell, also natives of Scotland, where the father died.  Being converted to the Mormon faith, the mother came to Utah in 1895, settling at Salt Lake City.  The son, William H., was educated in the graded schools and at an early age started upon a mercantile career as a clerk in Zion’s Cooperative Mercantile Institution.  For sixteen years he was associated with that company and his training was of a most thorough character, fully equipping him for his later experience along mercantile lines.  In 1917 he was tendered his present position as manager of the East Millard Cooperative Company and has since made his home in Fillmore, where he is contributing in marked measure to the commercial development of the city.  In the control of the cooperative store he has introduced the most modern and progressive business methods, contributing in substantial measure to the success of the business.

Mr. Russell has been regarded as an acquisition to Fillmore in both business and social ways.  His work in the church has been far-reaching and effective.  He has served as elder, ward chorister and stake superintendent of Sunday schools of the Millard stake.  In 1906 he was called to fill a mission to Scotland and served for two years, most of his labors being in new fields, and his mission was most successful.  He has never essayed politics as an interested citizen, supporting the men and measures in which he believes.  He has ever sought to further the welfare and progress of town and commonwealth, and is support can be counted upon in connection with any project for the general good.
In 1909, in Salt Lake Temple, Mr. Russell was marred to Miss Mignon Romney, a daughter of Miles A. Romney, manager of the carpet department of Zion’s Cooperative Mercantile Institution at Salt Lake. They have an interesting family of four children: Helen R., Margaret Elaine, Margery and Gordon.  In the social circles of the city Mr. and Mrs. Russell occupy an enviable position and no man stands higher regard among his fellow townsman than does William Hastie Russell.

[Source: Utah since Statehood: Historical and Biographical Volume 2; By Noble Warrum; Publ. 1919; Transcribed by Richard Ramos]


JAMES ERNEST WORKS
James Ernest Works is one of the live business men of the town of Delta yard of the Bonneville Lumber Company.  He was born in Manti, Utah, in 1885, a son of Edwin M. and Maria (Munk) Works.  The father was also a native of Manti and a son of J. M. Works, who was among the earliest of the Utah pioneers.

In the graded schools of his native city James E. Works pursued his early education and afterward attended the Utah Agricultural College at Logan.  His father being engaged in the lumber business, he early took up that line of endeavor and was associated with his father for six years, becoming thoroughly acquainted with every branch of the trade.  He later connected himself with the Baker Lumber Company, the name of which concern was later changed to Bonneville Lumber Company.  In 1911 Mr. Works was appointed to the responsible position of manager at Delta and his since resided in this city, where he has not only built up a large business for the corporation which he represents but has also become established as one of the most progressive and energetic business men of his community.  What he undertakes he accomplishes and in his vocabulary there is no such word as fail.

In 1913 Mr. Works was married to Miss Hazel Huff, of Oasis, Utah, a daughter of Henry Huff, one of the leading business men of the town.  Two children have blessed this union, Maxine and Phyllis.  Mr. Works is a member of the Mormon church and in 1908 was called on a mission to England, where he labored for two years.  In 1917 he was elected a member of the board of town trustees for a term of two years.  He has done effective public work, his aid and influence always being given on the side of progress and improvement, his labors resulting most beneficially for the welfare of the community.

[Source: Utah Since Statehood; Transcribed by Christi Boyer.]


  

Back to Millard County Home

usa3sm

Copyright Genealogy Trails 2013
All data on this website is Copyright by Genealogy Trails with full rights reserved for original submitters.
No data is to be copied to other websites without permission.