History and Genealogy
for
San Juan County, Utah

Volunteers Dedicated to Free Genealogy

utah1big



BIOGRAPHIES


JOSEPH F. BARTON
Among those who have been actively identified with the development of San Juan county along many lines is Joseph F. Barton, the president of the First National Bank of Monticello, former judge of San Juan county and a prosperous farmer and stock raiser.  His activities have ever been of a character that have contributed largely to the up building of the districts in which he has lived and his labors have been crowned with a substantial measure of success.  Judge Barton was born at Parowan, Utah, March 31, 1855, a son of Joseph P. and Eliza (Anderson) Barton.  The mother came to Utah in 1851, and the father in 1852.  He crossed the plains with cattle, settling at Parowan, and was there married.   He afterward removed to Paragonah from the time when it was necessary to secure safety by residing in a fort until he was called to his final rest on the 15th of September, 1912.   His wife passed away January 15, of the same year.

Joseph F. Barton acquired a common school education at Parowan and Paragonah, spending his early life in the latter place, where his attention was largely given to farming.  He was one of Silas S. Smith’s company that pioneered the way to the San Juan river, where the town of Bluff now stands, making the trip in the winter of 1879-80 by way of Panguitch and Escalante.  To cover the distance of three hundred miles required five months and two days owing to the fact that they had to blast their way through the bluff on the Elk Mountain road that they might take their wagons through, and the place is well known today as the Hole in the Rock.  They settled at Bluff, where they entered upon a strenuous life in the effort to reclaim the wild region and make it habitable and useful for the purposes of civilization.  The floods in the river, added to the sandy nature of the soil, caused the dams to be washed out a number of times and it was with the greatest difficulty that h the people triumphed over the natural disadvantages of the region.  After four years the colonizers were pretty well discouraged and in 1884, therefore, the people began moving away.  All would have gone if it had not been for President Joseph F. Smith, who came down and, addressing the people, said:  “All who have gone because of their privations will be blessed, but those who stay will be doubly blessed.”  The people today will tell you that his statement has been verified.  Mr. Barton remained at Bluff for twenty-six years and then removed north to Verdure (green place) in order to obtain more land for himself and his sons upon which they might pasture their stock.  He has been prospered as the years have gone by and is today the owner of a splendid farm, well stocked, also supplied with an elevator and all modern improvements.   He has continued at Verdure to the present time, maintaining his activities there as a farmer and stock raiser.  This indicated but one phase of his business, however, for he is now well known as the president of the First National Bank of Monticello.

In Salt Lake City, on the 15th of May, 1876, Mr. Barton was married to Miss Harriet Ann Richards, a daughter of Morgan and Harriet (Evans) Richards, who came to Utah from Wales in 1852, settling at Parowan.   Her father did missionary work in Wales before emigrating to the new world.  In Utah he followed the stone mason’s trade and both he and the mother are now deceased.  To Joseph F. and Harriet Ann Barton were born eight children.  Harriet E., whose birth occurred at Paragonah, February 21, 1877, is now the wife of F. B. Hammond, Jr., by whom she has eight children.  Mary V., who was born at Paragonah, October 23, 1878, gave her hand in marriage to J. P. Larson, by whom she has five children.  Morgan A., born at Bluff, August 28, 1883, married Miss Sarah Rhae Meachum and has one child.  Josephine, whose birth occurred at Bluff on the 3d of December, 1886, is the wife of Harold E. Young and the mother of two children.  Isabel, born at Bluff, September 11, 1888, is the wife of Leroy Wood and has three children.  Karl S., born at Bluff, November 17, 1890, wedded Miss Ella ones, by whom he has one child.  Ray Wesley, born May 12, 1896, and died June 7, 1896.  The wife and mother passed away May 29, 1896.  On the 7th of April, 1907, Mr. Barton married Jennie Johnson, a native of Sweden, in which her father remains, but her mother is now deceased.

Mr. Barton is a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and filled a mission of two years to the southwestern states, laboring in Texas and returning in 1900.   He is now a member of the High Priests’ Quorum  His political allegiance is given to the republican party and at a county election in 1884 he was elected probate judge for San Juan county, which office he filled until1893, at which time he was appointed probate judge for San Juan county by President Benjamin Harrison and held the office until Utah became a state.  He is an exceptionally fine man. Of high character and lofty principles, for whom everyone entertains the warmest regard.

[Source: Utah since Statehood: Historical and Biographical Volume 2; By Noble Warrum; Publ. 1919; Transcribed by Richard Ramos]

CHESTER BLACK
EDSON BLACK
Edson and Chester Black are joint owners with their father of a roller flour mill at Blanding and are enterprising and progressive young business men.  The former was born at Gunnison, Utah, November 28, 1886, and the latter at Huntington, Utah, January 19, 1889.  Their parents are John M. and Theresa (Cox) Black.  The father was born at Nephi and the mother at Manti, Utah, and they were married at St. George in 1877.  John M. Black became familiar with the milling business in his boyhood and youth.  In 1886 he removed to Gunnison, taking charge of the mill there, and after two years he made his way to Huntington, where he engaged in the lumber business for two years.  He then went to Arizona, where he operated a mill for David K. Udall for eight years and during that time he installed a mill at Mesa, Arizona.  In 1896 he went to St. Johns, where he operated a mill for two years and then removed to Aztec, New Mexico, where he was connected with another mill for four years.  He afterward installed still other mills in Colorado and Old Mexico and finally settled at Blanding, Utah, in 1911.  Here in connection with his sons he built a mill which they now own and operate.  It is thoroughly modern in construction and equipment and the business is most carefully and wisely conducted.

As the sons grew they were instructed by their father in all the work of the mill, with which they became familiar in principle and detail.  They are now active in the development of the business and in the operation of the plant and are meeting with substantial and gratifying success.

Edson Black was married at Salt Lake City, October 2, 1912, to Miss Addalade Oliver, a daughter of William E. and Mary Oliver, and they have five children:  Anthon, who was born September 25, 1913; Albert, whose birth occurred February 9, 1915; Barnard, whose natal day was February 3, 1916; Verna, born September 30, 1917; and Ula, who was born on the 3d of April, 1919.

Chester Black was married December 24, 1913, at Salt Lake City, to Sarah Hancock, a daughter of Joseph W. and Jerusha (Spencer) Hancock, residents of Blanding.  Their children, three in number, are as follows:  Naomi, whose birth occurred October 13, 1914; Millie, born November 21, 1915; and Irene, born October 11, 1918.

The families are socially prominent in Blanding and throughout this section of the state and the brothers, like their father, are very enterprising and progressive business men, alert to every opportunity and thoroughly qualified in the line of business to which they are directing their energies and attention.

[Source: Utah Since Statehood; Transcribed by Chrisi Boyer.]

JOHN M. BLACK, Jr.
John M. Black, Jr., manager of a flour mill at Monticello, was born at Orderville, Utah, April 23, 1880. When this state was first opened up to settlement his grandparents in both the paternal and maternal lines became residents of Utah.  His parents are John M. and Thressa (Cox) Black, who are natives of Utah, the father being reared in the southern part of the state. He worked for twelve years in the woolen mill at Washington and is a thorough machinist.  He is a millwright by trade and also learned the business of flour milling.  He has operated mills at various points, becoming one of the best millers in southern Utah.  At different periods he has operated woolen mills at St. George and at Washington, and flour mills in Arizona and New Mexico and also in Old Mexico; and not only has he managed the operation of the mills but has been the builder of the mill property, which he has on completion turned over to the corporations in good condition.   He is now associated with his two sons, John and Edson, in the ownership and operation of the roller mill at Blanding, where he and his wife, Mrs. Thressa Black, now make their home.  In the work of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints he has been active and is a member of the High Priests’ Quorum.

John M. Black, Jr., obtained his education in the common schools of Arizona and from early life worked with his father in various mills, including the Blanding mill, in which he is now financially interested.  He is also the manager and part owner of the Monticello mill, which has a capacity of fifty barrels.  He thoroughly understands the best processes of flour manufacture and the product of the mills with which he is connected is of the highest grade.

On the 1st of January, 1902, Mr. Black was married at Fruitland, New Mexico, to Miss Selva Evans, a daughter of Thomas and Jane Ann (Cole) Evans, who were natives of Wales and in 1892 came to Utah, settling at Salt Lake City.  After four years they removed to Fruitland, New Mexico, through the advice of John R. Young, and there Mr. Evans took up work in the coal fields but is now working in the coal mines of Durango, Colorado.  The mother has passed away.  To Mr. and Mrs. Black have been born seven children:  Marley, whose birth occurred at Fruitland, New Mexico, November 1, 1903; Loran, who was born in Morelos, Mexico, on the 7th of February, 1905; Marion, whose birth occurred in Juarez, Mexico, January 20, 1907; Harold, born at Fruitland, New Mexico, December 12, 1909; Thomas who was born at Kirkland, New Mexico, July 10, 1911; Carl, born at Monticello, Utah, December 12, 1917; and Ethel,  born at Monticello, March  31, 1919. 

In religious faith Mr. Black is a Mormon and in 1900 went to the northern states on a mission, laboring largely in southern Indiana.  He returned in 1901 after working faithfully as traveling elder.  His military record covers eighteen months’ service as a member of the Arizona National Guard.  His political allegiance is given to the republican party, but he has never been an aspirant for office, preferring to concentrate his efforts and his energies upon his business affairs.  The thoroughness with which he has learned the milling business and his close application have been the salient feature
in the attainment of his success.

[Source: Utah since Statehood: Historical and Biographical Volume 2; By Noble Warrum; Publ. 1919; Transcribed by Richard Ramos]

JAMES B. DECKER
James B. Decker, cashier of the Monticello State Bank of Monticello, San Juan county, was born at Bluff, Utah, March 19, 1883.  His parents, James B. and Anna M. (Mickelson) Decker, were representatives of early pioneer families of the state.  Both were born at Parowan, where their respective parents had located on coming to Utah.  In 1879 James B. Decker, Sr., assisted in building the road to Bluff, blasting the way through a bluff now known as the Hole in the Rock.  He afterward returned to Parowan and in the following year, 1880, removed his family to Bluff.  He was engaged in sheep and cattle raising and continued to reside at Bluff to the time of his death.  He was the first stake Sunday school superintendent and the first Sunday school superintendent of Bluff ward.    He likewise filled the office of county commissioner and was a member of the school board for a number of years.  He took a most prominent and helpful interest in all school activities and church work and he gave to each of his children good educational opportunities. He died at Bluff, a most highly respected citizen, in 1900.  His wife, Mrs. Anna M. Decker, was with her husband through all the privations and hardships of pioneer life.  One of her children, a daughter, was born in a covered wagon in what is known as the Hole in the Rock, above referred to.  In 1918 Mrs. Decker removed to Monticello, where she now makes her home.  One of her sons, Claude Decker, volunteered when war was declared against Germany in 1917.  He joined the Marines and went to France in February, 1918. He was one of the earliest of the Americans to engage in active service and was wounded in the shoulder by a machine gun but returned to the front before the close of hostilities.  He received an honorable discharge September 11, 1919, and returned to his home in Monticello.

James B. Decker acquired his early education in the common schools of Bluff and afterward spent two years as a pupil in the Brigham Young University at Prove, pursuing a commercial course.  He devoted three years to an agricultural course in science at the University of Utah.  Thus liberal educational training well qualified him for responsible duties and he is regarded as one of the most intelligent and enterprising young me of Monticello.  His earlier life work was with his father in stock raising and in 1910 he became an active factor in educational circles.  For two years he was principal of the schools at Milford, Utah, and in 1912 was principal of the Monticello schools, while in 1913 he accepted the principals IPO of the schools at Bluff and filled the office for two years.  In 1915 he became associated with the Verdure Live Stock Company, operating from Monticello, and for three years was range foreman.  In 1918 he became one of the incorporators of the Monticello State Bank was chosen its cashier and has since remained one of the popular officials of the institution.  He is also a stockholder in the Verdure Live Stock Company, is the owner of some splendid farm land and likewise owns a good home at Monticello.

In Salt Lake City, in September, 1909, Mr. Decker was married to Miss Laura Peral Adams, a daughter of Charles and Sarah Ann (Davenport) Adams, who crossed the plains at an early day and were afterward called to settle Parowan, Utah.  Her father was bishop for twenty-five years and both he and his wife are still living at Parowan. To Mr. and Mrs. Decker have been born five children: James, whose birth occurred at Milford, November 29, 1910; Helen, who was born at Parowan in April, 1912; Webster, born at Bluff in October, 1914; Maud May, whose birth occurred at Monticello in March, 1917; and Craig, who was born at Monticello in April 1919.

The religious faith of the family is that of the Mormon church and Mr. Decker filled a mission to the northern states from 1906 until 1908, acting as traveling elder.  He has been superintendent of the Sunday school of Monticello and has filled other positions in the church with honor and ability.  His political allegiance is given to the republican party and he is an active worker in its ranks, being now chairman of the republican county central committee.  He has filled the office of county treasurer and during the war he was on the building committee for the purpose for restricting excess in building.  His influence has been a tangible asset in public progress and improvement in San Juan county and thus the work which was instituted by his pioneer ancestors and continued by his parents is being carried still further forward by James B. Decker.

[Source: Utah since Statehood: Historical and Biographical Volume 2; By Noble Warrum; Publ. 1919; Transcribed by Richard Ramos]

JOSEPH W. PALMER
Joseph W. Palme, who is serving as county clerk and district court clerk of San Juan county and makes his home at Monticello, was born in Iowa in September, 1868. His parents were John E. and Harriet E. Palmer, the former a native of England, while the latter was born in New York.  The father came to the United States, settling in Iowa here he married.  His earlier life was spent as a mariner, but in Iowa he followed farming until accidentally killed during the infancy of his son Joseph.  The mother remained a resident of Iowa until her death in 1890.

Joseph W. Palmer obtained a common school education in Iowa City, Iowa, and when twenty-one years of age became a student in the dental college there.  He was employed in a dental office at Council Bluffs through the years 1889 and 1890 and during the succeeding two years worked in a dental office in Colorado Springs, Colorado.  He thus gained considerable knowledge concerning the profession and it was this that made him ambitious to become a representative thereof.  In 1893 he returned to Iowa and completed his course in dentistry at the Iowa City Dental College, where he won his diploma.  He then returned to Colorado but the same year located near Lincoln, Nebraska, where he opened an office, remaining for two years.  On the expiration of that period he again went to Colorado and secured a homestead in Grand county.  There in connection with the development of his land he also practiced his profession for twelve years.  Owing to ill health, he entered the forestry service in 1908, giving up his practice.  The same year he was transferred to San Juan county, Utah, and he remained in the forestry service until December 31, 1918.  He had been elected county clerk at the previous election and entered upon the duties of his present position as county clerk and as district court clerk.  In addition to discharging his official duties he is connected with business interests, being one of the stockholders in the First National Bank of Monticello and one of the original incorporators of the San Juan Record.  He likewise has farm interests and on is land as a comfortable home. 

In Grand county, Colorado, on the 6th of April, 1889, Mr. Palmer was married to Miss Maude A. Gwynne, a daughter of George and Elizabeth Gwynne.  Her father was a prominent attorney of Denver, Colorado, and a leading politician.  He also speculated heavily in mines and he now makes his home in Arizona.  To Mr. and Mrs. Palmer have been born four children:  Ila E., whose birth occurred May 20,1900, and who is now living at Moab as the wife of J. W. Corbin:  John Ward, whose natal day was October 12, 1901; Katharine  Vera, born May 29, 1903; and George Merritt, who was born on the 26th of November, 1906.  All are natives of Grand county, Colorado.

Fraternally Mr. Palmer is connected with the Woodmen of the World, while politically he is a republican.  He volunteered for service as registrar while connected with the forestry department and so acted during the period of the war.   He has also been secretary of the Red Cross drives and he has utilized every opportunity to promote American interests and uphold the welfare of the country during the great World war.  When he settled in San Juan county in 1908 the district was noted more for its wildness than for its civilization, but since that time conditions have greatly changed.  The cowboy with his broad hat and big spurs is still a picturesque figure in the country, but his methods are  from what he formerly followed, when he seemed to know no law save of his own making.  In the work of development and improvement Mr. Palmer has been keenly interested, contributing in every possible way to the general advancement and upbuilding of this section of the state.  He is himself a man of broad and liberal culture and of wide general information, affable and genial in manner and of such personal qualities as to make his friendship and regard highly prized by those with whom he comes in contact.

[Source: Utah since Statehood: Historical and Biographical Volume 2; By Noble Warrum; Publ. 1919; Transcribed by Richard Ramos]

LEMUEL H. REDD, JR.
Lemuel H. Redd, Jr., is the owner of the largest farms in San Juan county. He also has a good modern residence at Blanding and he carries on general agricultural pursuits and cattle and sheep raising together with merchandising. He is an alert and energetic business man whose cooperation is proving a forceful and resultant factor in the successful conduct of a number of important business interests. He was born at Spanish Fork, Utah, October 25, 1856, and is a son of Lemuel H. and Keziah Jane (Butler) Redd. The father, a native of Tennessee, crossed the plains with ox teams In company with his parents in 1851 and settled at Provo. Later he removed to Spanish Fork. The grandparents brought with them four slaves, to whom they were much attached, and gave them their freedom ; but they would not leave the family, three of the number staying with them until death claimed them, while the fourth, Luke, went to California. The other three were named Cheney, Venus and Marinda. About 1860 Lemuel H. Redd, Sr. was called to settle New Harmony and after twenty years was one of those who pioneered the way to Bluff. He later returned to New Harmony, where he lived for a few years more and then again went to Bluff. In 1892 he went to Mexico, where he passed away in 1910. While at Spanish Fork he was called to fill a mission to Las Vegas, Nevada, in 1856, the plan being to proceed to the lead mines and there secure lead to supply Utah troops in order to enable them to fight the Indians in the Black Hawk war. Mr. Redd was counsellor to the bishop at New Harmony for twenty years. He was an exceptionally public-spirited man and filled many minor offices both of a civic character and in the church. He died a patriarch.

Lemuel H. Redd, Jr., whose name introduces this record, obtained a common school education at New Harmony and afterward attended the Deseret University, which met in the old council house for a year. He was sent as the first normal pupil from Kane County in order to qualify for teaching at the expense of the county. He worked with his father until twenty-two years of age and his first business was at Silver Reef, where he was engaged in butchering from 1877 until 1879. In the fall of the latter year he was called to settle San Juan and joined the Silas Smith Company, which made a five months' trip, covering four hundred miles, their slow progress being due to the many difficulties which confronted them. Mr. Redd arrived at his destination, now Bluff, in April, 1880, and built the first house in the town a log cabin with a dirt floor. The Silas Smith Company was the first organization of whites to go there for settlement. Navajos and other Indians had previously lived in the district and they were preceded by the Cliff Dwellers. The smaller valleys today show indications of these primitive people having irrigated their land, on which they raised corn and cotton, evidences of this being found in their dwellings upon the sides of the cliffs. Mr. Redd remained at Bluff until 1910, when he removed to Blanding, where he is interested in various business enterprises. He has the largest farms in the county and is most successfully cultivating his land and developing his herds of sheep and cattle. He is also identified with merchandising, is the president of the Grayson Cooperative Company, the president of the Monticello Cooperative Company at Monticello, president of the Lasal Live Stock Company and the president and one of the stockholders of the San Juan State Bank. His interests are thus varied and important, constituting factors in the substantial up building and development of the section of the state in which he lives.


In April, 1877, Mr. Redd was married to Miss Eliza Ann Westover, a daughter of Charles and Eliza Ann (Haven) Westover. Her people were early day settlers who went to St. George, and Mr. Westover assisted in building the town of Pinto He afterward returned to St. George, where he and his wife now reside, having reached the ages of eighty-eight and ninety years respectively. Mr. and Mrs. Redd are the parents of eight children, as follows: Lula, who was born at Leeds in 1879; Hattie Ellen, who was born at Bluff in 1882 and became the wife of J. F. Barton, Jr., by whom she has five children; Lemuel H. (Ill), who was born at Bluff in 1884 and wedded Lavina Nicholson, by whom he has five children; Herbert H., whose birth occurred at Bluff in 1886 and who married Myrtle Porter and has three children; Edith, who was born at Bluff in 1888 and is the wife of Oren Lewis and the mother of one child; Charles, whose birth occurred at Bluff in 1890; Marian, born at Bluff in 1892; and Amy, who was born at Bluff in 1894.  Mr. Redd was a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter day Saints and for twenty years was counsellor to the bishop at Bluff, while for five years he occupied the office of bishop there. He has been president of the San Juan stake since 1910 and, like all of the older and active members of the church, has filled many minor positions. His political endorsement is given the Democratic Party and he was the first assessor of San Juan County, occupying the position for five years. He has filled other local offices and twice has he represented his district in the state legislature. His record has at all times measured up to high standards of manhood and citizenship and his work has constituted a valuable element in the up building and improvement of San Juan County.


Source:  "Utah Since Statehood", Noble Warrum; Chicago :: S.J. Clarke Pub. Co.,1920
Contributed and transcribed by Wayne Cheeseman


WAYNE H. REDD
Wayne H. Redd, owning and occupying a beautiful modern home at Blanding, where he is filling the office of mayor and also that of bishop in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, was born at New Harmony, Utah, February 27, 1870.  His father, Lemuel H. Redd, was a native of Tennessee, born in 1837, and in 1865 emigrated to Utah, settling at Spanish Fork.  He began farming and stock raising there and soon afterward was called to settle New Harmony.  He remained an active worker in the church throughout his life, filling the office of counselor to the bishop for twelve years at New Harmony.  In 1879, with his son, L. H., he joined the Silas Smith expedition that went to the San Juan river, where the town of Bluff now stands.  They performed the arduous task of cutting and building their road and had to blast their way through the bluff at a place that I s now known as the Hole in the Wall, arriving t their destination after five months of arduous travel and labor.  This was in April 1880.  The same year Mr. Redd returned to New Harmony, here he resided for a period of nine years and then once more went to Bluff.  Two years later he made his way to old Mexico, where he died June 10, 1910, at the age of seventy-three years.  The mother of Wayne H. Redd bore the maiden name of Sariah Louisa Chamberlin and was one of the first children born at Salt Lake City, her natal year being 1849. 

Wayne H. Redd acquired a common school education at New Harmony and in 1889 accompanied his parents to Bluff, remaining with his father until he reached the age of twenty-four years, during which time he was largely engaged in managing his life stock interests.  He then rented his father’s herd together with another herd of cattle and managed his stock raising interests very successfully, thus laying the foundation of his present financial independence.  He continued at Bluff until 1909, when he removed to Blanding, purchasing land and city property, the latter including beautiful and attractive modern home.  He is not only actively identified with farming and stock raising interests but has also contributed to increasing the capital of the Grayson co-operative store, of which he became a director.  He likewise promoted and assisted in incorporating the San Juan State Bank, of which he is also a director, and he is a director and manager of the White Mesa Canal Company and a director of the San Juan Irrigation Company.  He has largely used his means to further business development and thus has contributed much to public progress and prosperity in the section of the state in which he lives.

At Salt Lake City, on the 15th of November, 1893, Mr. Redd was married to Miss Caroline Nielson, a daughter of Jens and Kirsten Nielson who were natives of Denmark and came to Utah with the handcart company of 1856.  They pioneered the way to Red Creek, now Paragonah, Cedar City and to Bluff in 1880, and Mr. Nielson was bishop of Bluff for twenty-five years.  He was also a member of the corporation having the cooperative store.  He had splendid farm interests and was extensively engaged in raising horned cattle.  He died at Bluff in 1906, while the mother passed away in 1908.  The children of Mr. and Mrs. Redd are nine in number, namely: Leland W., whose birth occurred at Bluff, December 18, 1894, and who married Susanna Hunter; Josephine, who was born at Bluff, September 12, 1902; Joseph F., born at Bluff, January 24, 1907; Bernice, who was born at Blanding, October 2, 1910; Alma J. Born at Blanding, September 1, 1912; Sterling, born at Blanding, November 8, 1914; and Norma, born at Blanding, April 20, 1919.  The son, Leland W., joined the army in 1917 at Fort Douglas as a member of the One Hundred and Forth-fifth Artillery.  He went to Camp Kearney and later with his command to France and was ordered to the front, where he was at the time the armistice was signed.  This was one of the most highly efficient and best equipped artillery companied that went overseas.

Mr. Redd is a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.  He filled a mission of two and a half years in the southern states, entering upon his work there in the sprig of 1896.  He was in the presidency of the South Alabama conference and late was president of the South Carolina conference.  He has been counselor for three stake presidents in the San Juan stake and when released was ordained a patriarch and member of the high council.  After moving to Blanding he was ordained bishop on the 18th of May, 1919, by Melvin J. Ballard, one of the council of the twelve apostles.  In his earlier life he filled all the minor positions in the church.  Politically Mr. Redd is a republican and he has been active along various lines which have contributed to the public welfare, was one of the promoters and manager of the water and light plant, was a member of the school board for years, was county clerk and recorder for about six years and served a term in the state legislature in 1902. In 1914 he was again elected to the general assembly, while for eight years he has filled the position of state and county road supervisor.  His public service has been of a most beneficial character, his business affairs have been of a nature that have largely contributed to public progress and prosperity as well as to individual success and his efforts in behalf of the church have been a potent force in the moral development of the community in which he lives.

[Source: Utah since Statehood: Historical and Biographical Volume 2; By Noble Warrum; Publ. 1919; Transcribed by Richard Ramos]

DAVID J. ROGERS
David J. Rogers, who since 1907 has followed farming and stock raising at Blanding, was born at Provo, Utah, October 9, 1866, his parents being Henry C. and Emma (Higbee) Rogers.  The father was a native of New York and the mother of New Jersey.  Henry C. Rogers joined thee Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and removed to Montrose, Iowa, just across the Mississippi from Nauvoo Illinois, when the people were driven from the latter place.  In 1851 he came to Utah, settling at Provo, where he resided until 1876.  He was then called to settle in Arizona, on the Salt river.  He was a wheelwright and carpenter by trade and assisted in building the Brigham Young Academy on the corner of Main and Fifth West streets, formerly owned by Dr. J. D. M. Crockwell and afterward destroyed by fire.  A splendid garage now stands on the site.  While at Provo, Mr. Rogers served as captain of the police, also filled the position of jailer and was deputy sheriff under John Turner.  He planted the first alfalfa and made one-third of the first ditch taken out on Provo bench.  He was very prominent in church work, acting as counselor to the bishop, and in Arizona he helped build the substantial town of Lehi.  During the last twenty-eight years of his life he labored largely with the Indians, teaching them the gospel, and was active in establishing an Indian ward, in which now reside some of the most intelligent Indians of the west.  They attended the Indian school built by government and Phoenix and there Mr. Rogers labored to a considerable extent, principally with the Pima and Papago Indians.  He was counselor to three different presidents of the Maricopa stake and after twenty-eight years of almost constant missionary work he passed away in 1904, mourned by the entire community, including both the Indians and white settlers.

David J. Rogers obtained his public school education at Provo, Utah, and at Lehi, Arizona, and left the latter place in the spring of 1890 to become a resident of Laplata, New Mexico.  In 1894 he removed to Bluff and in 1907 became a resident of Blanding, where he has since followed farming and stock raising.  His business interests have always been wisely, carefully and energetically directed and have brought good results.  He is also a stockholder in the San Juan State Bank and in the cooperative store of Blanding.

At Manti, on the 25th of November, 1891, Mr. Rogers was married to Elizabeth may Stevens, a daughter of Walter and Marietta (Mace) Stevens, who were early settlers of Utah, taking up their abode at Pleasant Grove.  They afterward removed to Holden and in 1880 went to Fruitland, New Mexico, while in 1885 they became residents of Bluff, Utah.  The father followed farming and stock raising and he filled a mission to the States.  Both he and his wife are now deceased.  The children of Mr. and Mrs. Rogers are twelve in number, namely: John David, born October 1, 1892, who filled a mission in Texas from 1911 to 1913 and married Louella Hurst, by whom he has one child; Emma M., born in May, 1894, who married Wallace A. Burnham and has three children; Bertha May, who was born November 12, 1896, and gave her hand in marriage to Frank Hurst; Lois, whose natal day was May 28, 1899; Theresa, whose birth occurred September 1, 1901; Cecil, born May 3, 1903; Nina, born November 9, 1904; Clarence,  born June 19, 1906; Anthony, born April 6, 1908; Lila, born October 13, 1909; Lavern, born September 4, 1911; and Rulon, born November 15, 1913.  Frank Hurst, the son-in-law of Mr. Rogers, joined the army I 1917 as a member of the One Hundred and Forty-fifth Artillery and went to Camp Kearney.  He was with the mechanical engineers and proceeded overseas.  Had the armistice not been signed he would have been at the front that week.

In his political views Mr. Rogers is a republican, giving strong endorsement to the party, and has filled the office of justice of the peace.  His religious belief is that of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and he filled a two years’ mission to Mexico, returning in 1889.  He spend six months of the year 1900 in the Snowflake stake of Arizona in the interests of the Young Men’s Mutual Improvement Association.  He served as counselor to the stake superintendent of the San Juan stake and has been a member of the high council of the stake, also counselor to the bishop for nine years and served for a number of years as stake superintendent of religion class work.  His interest in the church work has been manifest in many tangible way and his labors have been an effective force in extending its influence.

[Source: Utah since Statehood: Historical and Biographical Volume 2; By Noble Warrum; Publ. 1919; Transcribed by Richard Ramos]





Back to San Juan County Home

usa3sm

Copyright Genealogy Trails 2013
All data on this website is Copyright by Genealogy Trails with full rights reserved for original submitters.
No data is to be copied to other websites without permission.