Addison County Vermont
WILLIAM N. CAMPBELL, a leading business man and representative citizen of Valley City, North Dakota, is now successfully engaged in journalistic work in connection with David W. Clark, as proprietors of the "People's Advocate," the only paper published in the interest of the People's party in that city. It is a bright, newsy sheet and under its present able management is meeting with well-deserved success. Mr. Campbell is also engaged in the insurance and real estate business and is now president of the Alliance Hail Insurance Company.
He was born in Addison county, Vermont, December 16, 1854, and is a son of Charles and Electa (Newton) Campbell, who are at present living at Watertown, South Dakota. The father was born in Vermont in 1816 and prior to the Mexican war was a soldier in the regular army, while during the Civil war he was captain of a company in the Fifteenth Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry, under the command of Colonel Hege.
At the age of five years William N. Campbell went with his parents to Waupun, Wisconsin, where he was reared upon the home farm, which he assisted his father in operating during his boyhood and youth. His early education, acquired in the district schools near his home, was supplemented by a course at the Oshkosh Normal School, Wisconsin. He came to North Dakota in the spring of 1882, when it was still a territory, and two years later he took up a quarter-section of land in the southwest part of Barnes county, on which he made his home, engaging in general farming, until coming to Valley City in the spring of 1892. Since then he has given his attention to the insurance and real-estate business, and in 1896 also became interested in newspaper work. Upright and reliable in all things, the prosperity that he has attended his efforts is certainly justly merited and he has gained a host of warm friends throughout his adopted county.
On the 8th of February, 1885, Mr. Campbell was united in marriage with Miss Lillie J. McCune, a native of Waupun, Wisconsin, and a daughter of John and Marcie McCune. Three children bless this union, one son and two daughters, namely: Mabel, Charlie and Luella.
[Source: Compendium of History and Biography of North Dakota, Publ. 1900. Transcribed by Kim Mohler]
CHILD, Philip Sheridan, merchant; born, Weybridge, Addison Co., Vt., Oct. 24, 1864; son' of Andrew J. and Elizabeth M. (Burt)Child; educated in public schools, Independence, Mo., and St. Louis, and high school, St. Louis; married, St. Louis, Oct. 24, 1894, Lulu M. Messmore. After leaving school in 1882, became connected with the A. J. Child & Sons Mercantile Co. (established 1874), doing a general mail order business in everything used on farm, ranch, plantation, etc., in which has since continued, now being vice president and treasurer of the company. Independent Republican. Member Valley Council, Royal Arcanum. Clubs: Missouri Athletic, City. Recreations: hunting, fishing and gardening. Office: 515-517 N. Main St. Residence: 5244 Kensington Ave.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)
WALLACE GROSVENOR, vice-president of the Cass County State Bank, residing at Casselton, is one of the wealthiest and most influential citizens of North Dakota. He entered that region during the pioneer days of its history with limited means and has persevered through discouragements to the end that he is now one of the substantial business men and enjoys the esteem of his associates. He has various business interests, and conducts each with keen forethought, strict integrity, and good business methods.
Our subject was born at Bridport, Vermont, February 27, 1850, and was a son of Samuel and Minerva (Wright) Grosvenor. His parents were all natives of Vermont, and the father still resides within fifty miles of his birthplace, and follows farming. The grandfather of our subject, Harry Grosvenor, was a native of Connecticut, and a pioneer settler of Vermont.
Mr. Grosvenor was reared and educated in his native state, and began life there as a farmer, which he followed in Vermont about four years, and in 1873 went to Boston and remained one year. He then followed the merchandise business seven years, conducting stores in different places in the east, and in 1879 went to Casselton, and purchased the lumber yards of E.S. Tyler & Company, which he conducted until 1891. During these years he erected many buildings in the county, and also operated nine branch yards. He erected some of the best business blocks in the city, and is also interested extensively in farming in North Dakota, and lumbering in Washington, and is largely interested in gold mining in Wyoming and Idaho. He was one of the organizers of the Cass County State Bank, and has been its vice-president since its organization.
Our subject was married, in 1891, to Miss A.M. Paine, a native of Manchester, New Hampshire. Two children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Grosvenor, named Dorothy and Wallace Paine. Mr. Grosvenor is a man of broad mind and keeps pace with the times, but does not take active part in public affairs, and has not served in public office, preferring to promote the general welfare of his community by other means.
[Source: Compendium of History and Biography of North Dakota, Publ. 1900. Transcribed by Kim Mohler]
Richard Charles Hand
History of Addison County with Illustrations and Biographical Sketches of Some of its Prominent Men and Pioneers, edited by H. P. Smith, pages 758-759
- Contributed by Robin Line
Hand, Rev. Richard Charles-Nathan Hand, grandfather of Richard C., was born on Long Island in 1747, married Anna, daughter of Isaac and Hannah Barnes, who was born July 18, 1749. He died May 26, 1811, aged sixty-four; she died July 14, 1812, aged sixty-three. They had nine children-five sons and four daughters-of whom Captain Samuel Hand was the eledest. He was born in East Hampton, Long Island, N. Y. She was born April 22, 1782, in Lyme, Conn. Captain Samuel Hand near the close of the last century settled 1841 the present homestead. He died there September 13, 1845. His wife died July 14, 1859. Nathan and Samuel Hand and their wife's are buried in Birchard burying-ground, Shoreham.
Captain Samuel and Eliza Hand had six children, viz: Richard Charles, Augustus C., Nancy Augusta, Susan A., Eliza Ann, and Harriet, all of whom, with the exception of Eliza A., who occupies the homestead, are deceased.
Richard Charles Hand was born in Shoreham January 21, 1802; prepared for college at the Newton Academy, in Shoreham; entered Middlebury College, and was graduated from that institution in 1822; pursued his theological studies for three years at the Andover Theological Seminary, and after receiving license he settled in Gouverneur, N. Y., where he became pastor of the Presbyterian Church. He remained there about seven years. He then became district secretary of A. B. C. F. M., three years in New York and nearly four years in Northern New England.
Pastor of the Danville congregational Church at Danville, Vt. nearly seven years , and at Bennington for the same period. At this time his health had so failed him that he was obliged to withdraw from the active duties of his profession, and in 1854 moved to Brooklyn, N. Y., where he was a resident at the time of his death, which occurred July, 1870. He married, August 2, 1826, Agnes Hunsdon, who died May 10, 1828; February 13, 1831, married Rhoda Hoyt, of New Haven. The latter died March 31, 1870. Their children were: Lockhart Augustus Charles, born at Gouverneur, N. Y., August 15, 1832, died at New Haven, Vt., March 13, 1834, of brain fever; Agnes Eliza, born at Danville, Vt., July 16, 1845, lived in Brooklyn, N. Y., was educated at Packer Collegiate Institute, graduated 1864; died of heart disease at Saratoga Springs, N. Y., August 7, 1865. The whole family are buried in Birchard Cemetery, Shoreham.
(photo of Richard C. Hand on page 758)
Nicholas J. McCuen
History of Addison County with Illustrations and Biographical Sketches of Some of its Prominent Men and Pioneers, edited by H. P. Smith, pages 759-760
- Contributed by Robin Line
McCuen, Nicholas J., resident of the city of Vergennes, Vt., son of Robert and Mary (Foster) McCuen, was born in Castlebar, County Mayo, Ireland, on the 15th day of August, 1851, and came to this country at the age of six months.
A portion of his father's early days was passed in England. Later he owned and carried on a farm, owned and ran number of looms for the manufacture of linen; also he speculated quite extensively in grain and mill stuff. Adverse circumstances, caused by the failure of crops in 1847, induced him to come to this country, where he prospered, and was in comfortable circumstances at his death, which came by paralysis on the 22d of July, 1882. His mother was born in Ireland (an only daughter). Her parents died when she was about fourteen years of age, leaving her a comfortable home. Her people being lovers of education, she was much interested in encouraging her son in that direction. She died of paralysis December 18, 1882.
N. J. McCuen, when between the age of ten and twelve years, earned a part of this tuition and attended the private school of B. B. Allen, where he made rapid progress in his studies, receiving favors and compliments from "Uncle Ben," the kind and faithful old schoolmaster.
At not quite the age of thirteen he entered one of the stores of Vergennes as a clerk, and retained the position until January 11, 1871, he then being nineteen years of age, when he purchased a stock of goods and entered into business for himself, his capital being what he had been able to save out of the mere salary of a clerkship of six years. His strict attention to business, temperance principles, honesty and integrity, keeping his work, and unfailing fairness towards his customers and those of whom he purchased goods gained the confidence of the public in an incredibly short time and demonstrated the value of these admirable qualities. His sales the first year amounted to about $25,000, and have steadily increased until now they have reached the gratifying proportions indicated by the sum of $60,000. His stock consists of goods of every description. His business is so thoroughly systematized and classified that he can perform the duties with half the labor that would be expended by an unmethodical merchant.
As soon as Mr. McCuen was of the age to study the political questions of the day he identified himself with the Republican party, and with characteristic wholeheartedness dedicated his energies to its support. While he has not sought office, he has not avoided its responsibilities, and has acted in accordance with his opinion that the duty of contributing in every way to the prompt and economical performance of public trusts devolves upon all citizens.
In 1878 he was chosen water commissioner of the city water works, and inaugurated a system which was accepted and is in use at the present time, which gave him much credit.
In 1880 he was elected common councilman, and attended to the duties of the office, much of the benefit of the city, in collecting the taxes that year in full, besides being a faithful servant for and of the people. The next two or three years he was brought forward by the people for alderman and elected; but, preferring to give his whole time to his business, he declined to serve, resigned, and was excused.
In 1886 he was elected mayor of the city by a gratifying majority, which office he now holds; and by virtue of the same he is chief judge of the City Court.
Mr. McCuen is one of the live, generous-hearted, public-spirited men of the place, and has always been a friend to the poor. His parents belonged to the English Church, and he, being made a member when a child, has always been an active member of St. Paul's Protestant Episcopal Church of Vergennes, and has been secretary of the vestry for a number of years. He was untied in marriage on the 24th of December, 1872, with Kate H., daughter of Solomon and Louisa L. (Herrick) Allen.
She was born at the old homestead in Panton, Vt., where three generations of Allens owned and resided (descendants of Ethan Allen). They have two children-Charles Nicholas, born on the 14 day of August, 1875, and Robert William, born on the 30th day of May, 1880. He and his family own and occupy one of the finest residences int he city, on Main street, which is worthy of mention for the reason that the architecture and arrangement of the house was planned wholly by Mr. McCuen.
Samuel C. Parkes, born March 25, 1820, Middlebury, Vermont. Residence: Rawlins, Wyoming Territory. Educated:
at Madison, Indiana. Degrees: A. B. and A. M., and A. M. from Jacksonville College, 1844. Occupation and position:
Taught school for six years, studied law and practiced till September 1863. Member of Constitutional Convention
of Illinois. In 1863, was appointed by President Lincoln, Associate Justice of Idaho, resigned in 1865. Was appointed
Associate Justice of New Mexico, served one term of four years, was at his own request, transferred to Wyoming
Territory, in 1882. At present (1883), Judge of the Third Judicial District of Wyoming Territory. It is perhaps
worthy of note that Judge Parks has served as Judge, in three different territories. Judge Parks is the son of
Professor B. Parks, of the University of Indiana. - Indiana University, Its History from 1820, when Founded, to
1890 by Theophilus A. Wylie, 1890, Page 180 - Contributed by James VanDerMark
Source: Blue Book of the State of Wisconsin for (1882) page 521; transcribed by Tammy Clark
PIILETUS, SAWYER, of Oshkosh, was born at Whiting, Vermont, September 22, 1816; received a public school and business education; came to Wisconsin in 1847; and engaged in the lumber business; was a member of the legislature in 1857 and 1861; was mayor of Oshkosh in 1863 and 1864; was elected to the thirty-ninth, fortieth, forty-first, forty-second and forty-third congresses; was a delegate to the Republican National Convention at Chicago in June, 1880; was elected United States Senator January 26, 1881, as a republican, to succeed Angus Cameron, receiving 98 votes in joint legislative convention against 29 for James G. Jenkins, democrat, 1 for C.D. Parker, democrat and 2 fro C.C. Washburn, republican. His term of office will expire March 4, 1887.
HORATIO C. PLUMLEY, manager and part owner of the "Forum," of Fargo, North Dakota, is a man of more than ordinary intelligence and business capability. He has made a success of his vocation, and is one of the influential citizens of the state, and his paper is widely known. He holds many important commissions and ever performs his duties faithfully and well.
Mr. Plumley was born in Addison county, Vermont, June 15, 1856, and was the son of Frederick S. and Sarah (Clark) Plumley. His father was a farmer by occupation and died in Vermont, and his mother died in Fargo, North Dakota. His father served in the legislature of the state of Vermont, and was a public-spirited and respected citizen.
At the age of thirteen our subject left his native state and went to Mexico, New York, where he was educated in the Mexico Academy, and the high school of Syracuse. He then entered the office of the "Mexico Independent," as "devil," and there learned the trade of a printer, continuing there until 1881, when he went to Fargo, North Dakota, and became associated with the "Argus," first as traveling solicitor and then as nigh editor and local reporter. In 1883 he was appointed managing editor and continued with that paper until 1891. In October of that year, in company with Major A. W. Edwards, he founded the "Forum," since which time he has been manager of that paper. He is thoroughly acquainted with the calling which he has chosen, and since 1893 has been state printing expert. Mr. Plumley was married in 1888 to Miss Helen S. Green, a native of New York. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity, and is deputy inspector general for North Dakota, and secretary of the board of trustees of the Scottish Rite Cathedral. He is also a member of the Sons of the Revolution, his great-grandfather and his great-great-grandfather serving in the American army from Massachusetts. He has been president of the state prison board for several years, and was chief clerk of the territorial census for 1885. Mr. Plumley stands for the principles of the Republican party.
[Source: Compendium of History and Biography of North Dakota, Publ. 1900. Transcribed by Syndi Phillips]
MURPHY, THEO. D., Hon., Judge of the Second Judicial Circuit since 1862; born in Virginia June 12, 1826 ; came to McHenry Co., July 18, 1845; was County Judge of McHenry Co. four years; was elected Judge of the Circuit Court three terms, for six years each; in May, 1875. formed a co-partnership with Hon. R. Bishop for the purpose of banking in Woodstock, in which business he is at this time engaged, in addition to his duties as Judge. Married Mary E. Prouty November 13, 1851, in McHenry; she was born in Middlehury, Addison Co., Vt.; had three children- Otis J., born July 20, 1852, died November 19, 1870; Edwin D., born June 29, 1854, Alice M., born March 19, 1861. . Source: 1877 McHenry County, Illinois Directory - Contributed by K. Torp
REYNOLDS, E. S., Farmer, Sec. 9 ; Lawrence P.O. ; born in Addison Co., Vt., December 4, 1812; came to this county in May, 1839; own 160 acres of land. Married Mary E. Smith February 17, 1843. who was born in Hancock, Mass., December. 1819 ; has two children; G. W., born in June, 1846, and James N., born in 1851. Source: 1877 McHenry County, Illinois Directory - Contributed by K. Torp
SWIFT, Charles M., lawyer; born, Middlebury, Vt., (Addison Co) Mar. 19, 1854; son of George Sedgewick and Louise (May) Swift; educated in public schools and Detroit High School, graduating from the latter, 1870; married at Detroit, Oct. 14, 1886, Clara B. Trowbridge. Began active career as court stenographer, continuing, 1872-77; studied law, was admitted to the bar and practiced until about 1890; engaged since 1890 in building and operating electric railways. Builder Wyandotte and Detroit River Railway, The Rapid Railway, Detroit and Port Huron Shore Line Railway; built and is president and director, Philippine railway Co. (steam line), Manila Electric Street Railway and Lighting Co., Manila Suburban Railways Co.; president and director, Nepigon Mining Lands Co.; director Philippine Construction Co., Detroit Twist Drill Co. Independent Republican. Clubs: Detroit, Yondotega, Detroit Racquet and Curling, Witenagemote, Old Club. Recreations: Golf and bridge. Office: Ford Bldg., Detroit. Residence: Grosse Pointe, Mich.
[Source: The Book of Detroiters. Edited by Albert Nelson Marquis Copyright, 1908 - Contributed by Christine Walters]