Source: History of Windsor County, Vermont by Lewis C. Aldrich and Frank R Holmes, 1891
Transcribed by Jan Grant
History of the Town of Andover
Andover is an irregularly outlined town of about eighteen thousand acres, located in the southwestern part of the county, and is bounded on the north by Ludlow; east by Chester; south by Londonderry and Windham, in Windham county; and west by Weston. The surface of the town is uneven and the soil and timber similar to those of other towns located on the eastern slope of the Green Mountains. Markham Mountain and Mount Terrible lie along the western borders of the town. There are no important water-courses, but the town is well watered by the head branches of the Williams River.
The Proprietors.-A number of the inhabitants of Lebanon and other towns in Connecticut having petitioned the colonial governor of New Hampshire for a grant of land on the west bank of the Connecticut River, he granted, on the 13th of October, 1761, the town of Andover, containing 23,500 acres, to Nathaniel House and his associates, subject to the conditions of the charters given in those days. In accordance with this charter a meeting of the grantees was held November 4, 1761, at Lebanon, Conn., and in 1765 a party of twenty persons had made preparations to remove into the town, when they became discouraged by the publication of his majesty's orders declaring the western bank of the Connecticut River to be the eastern boundary of New York.
The following are the names of the original grantees of the town: Nathaniel House, Nathaniel Dunham, Asahel Clark, Timothy Washburn, John Demman, Jonathan Brown, James Wright, Jonathan Sweetland, Thomas Perkins, Nathan Demman, William Sweetland, John Gibbs, jr., Elisha Bill, Rufus Read, William Hunt, Eliphalet House, Philip Bill Stephen Hunt, jr., Gain Miller, Nathaniel White, James Sims, Joseph Wright, Joseph Loomis, Simeon Curtis, Thomas Lyman, William Downer, Freeman Ellis, David Strong, Orlando Mack, Jesse Townsend, John Nelson, David Townsend, Constant Woodward, Benoni Clark, Thomas Lyman, jr., Orlando Mack, jr., Robert Hunter, Robert Bennet, Benajah Bill, Samuel Sprague, Benoni Loomis, Israel Woodward, jr. John Sprague, William Sims, John Lawson, Aaron Clark, Benjamin Hull, Joseph Hibberd, Benjamin House, Solomon Tupper, Davison Kingsbury, Stephen Hutchinson, Ezekiel Thomas, Samuel Fisk, Israel Woodward, M. H. Wentworth, Theodore Atkinson, Peter Eastman, John Miller, Benjamin Emerson, Simon Stephens, John Rand, Jacob Sawyer, Peter Morse, Stephen Emerson, sr., Benjamin Leister.
There were also the rights reserved at the time by the chartees for the first settled minister, the propagation of the gospel, etc.
At a proprietors' meeting held August 25, 1762, Israel Woodward, William Sims, Ezekiel Thomas, Nathaniel House and Elisha Bill were appointed a committee to divide the grant into lots. William Sims was chosen clerk and treasurer, and held the position until December 1, 1768, when Lieutenant Amos Babcock was elected his successor. The latter was also sent to New York to perfect the title of the grant.
There seems to have been no meeting of the proprietors held between 1768 and 1774. December 8, 1774, a meeting was held at Enfield, Conn., and the town was redrafted into lots. The first meeting held by the proprietors in the town was at the house of John Simonds, but the record bears no date of it. At this meeting it was voted to lay a road from Chester to the west line of the town, for which an appropriation of two hundred pounds was voted. Captain John Simonds was elected treasurer, and James Keyes, collector. The committee appointed to lay out the road was Jacob Pease, Moses Warner, James Keyes and John Simonds, jr. At a meeting held June 17, 1779, Moses Warner was elected proprietors' clerk, and six hundred pounds were appropriated for survey and building of highways. The last meeting of the proprietors was held September 20, 1781.
Early Settlers.-The first settlement was made in 1768 by Shubael Geer and Amos Babcock. Their stay was short, but during Mr. Geer's residence he had a son born, who was called William, and this was the first birth in the town.
No other attempt was made to make a settlement until after the beginning of the Revolution. During the months of June, 1776, Moses Warner, John Simonds, John Simonds, jr., Eli Pease, Jacob Pease and James Keyes came from Enfield, Conn., and made the first permanent settlement. This party of settlers followed up the Connecticut River as far north as Barnet without finding a place satisfactory as a location. They came to Andover, and Warner selected a farm on the east side of Markham Mountain, the others choosing farms on the west side, now Weston. Following the records, we find the name of Frederick Rogers as early as 1780, who kept the first tavern in town. About a year later Samuel Brown and Thomas Adams became residents of the town. Joel and Samuel Manning, with their families, moved into town from Townsend, Mass, in 1789, bringing all their effects in an ox-cart. Their brothers, Joseph and Benjamin, were also early settlers in Andover.
Samuel Pettengill came from Andover, Mass., about 1790. Ebenezer Cummings sold a farm in 1794, between Simonsville and Peaseville, to John Mauvur, a native of Dracut, Mass., who removed from Temple, M. H. Mr. Cummings removed to the northern part of the town, where he erected works for the dressing of cloth, but afterwards removed to Ludlow, where he died. Abner Gutterson came from Milford, N. H., and settled where his descendants now live in 1794. Moody Stickney settled a farm near the center of the town in 1795, and eleven years afterwards sold it to his brother Joseph, whose descendants now occupy it. Jonathan and Peter Putnam came from Hancock, N. H., in 1797, and at the same time Joseph Dodge became a resident. They located near the middle of the town. Joshua Jaquith settled in the town in 1787, and also Samuel Burton, who came from Wilton, N. H., in 1791. Jonas Adams came from Jaffrey, N. H., in 1794, and settled on the east hill; he was the father of Alvin Adams, the founder of the Adams Express company, the latter being a native of the town. Hart Balch moved from Dublin, N. J., in 1788, and settled three-quarters of a mile from the center of the town. His son, Joel, became prominently identified with town affairs, and had two sons born in the town who became conspicuous Universalist ministers, the Rev. Aaron Leland Balch and Rev. William S. Balch.
After the close of the Revolutionary war Andrew Bradford settled in the eastern part of the town, residing there with his family for a number of years. David Howard became a resident in 191, emigrating from Uxbridge, Mass. David Bachelder moved into town in 1796. These were the principal settlers in Andover previous to the beginning of the ninetheenth century.
First Town Meeting.-The town was organized at a meeting held March 27, 1780, at the dwelling house of Frederick Rogers. Moses Warner was chosen moderator and town clerk; James Keyes, Frederick Rogers, and John Simonds, jr., selectmen; and Eli Pease, high surveyor. The annual town meeting is held in March of each year. The first grand list we find is as follows, and bears date of July 29, 1782; Captain John Simonds, 59 pounds, 10 shillings; Lieutenant Samuel Brown, 32 pounds; Frederick Rogers, 27 pounds; John Simonds, jr., 31 pounds; Ebenezer Simonds, 11 pounds; Moses Warner 24 pounds; John Chapin, 15 pounds; Eli Pease, 20 pounds; Thomas Adams, 20 pounds; Ezekiel Pease, 28 pounds, 10 shillings; Ezekiel Pease, jr., 0 pounds; Stephen Burgess, 12 pounds; Daniel Wear, 6 pounds; John Gowdy, 6; total, 282 pounds.
We give the first men of Andover who took the freeman's oath for election of representatives to the General Assembly: Ezekiel Pease, Solomon Howard, Joshua Jaquith, Peter Allen, Augustus Pease, David Howard, Frederick Rogers, Henry Hall, John Gowdy, Phineas Wheeler, Bunker Clark, Samuel Minard, Samuel Brown, Ebenezer Simonds, Thomas French, William Brown, Alvin Simonds, Dan Foster, Captain John Simonds, Stephen Burgess, Thomas Adams, John Stiles, Joseph Howard, jr., Aaron Nichols, Abadiah Pease, John Simonds, jr., John Chapin, Ezra Sexton, Timothy Nichols, Dan Simonds, Ezra Chapin, Samuel Smith, Eli Pease, Joshua Dale, Silas Spaulding, Joseph Howard, Ichobald Perry, Thomsas Knowlton, Joshua Jaquith, jr., Moses Warner.
Thus we place upon the pages of history the names of those who were instrumental in settling the wilderness and mountains of Andover. We append the population of the town at the different dates of taking the Unites States census: 1800, 622; 1810, 957; 1820, 1,000; 1830, 975; 1840, 878; 1850, 725; 1860, 670; 1870, 588; 1880, 564.
Members of the Constitutional Conventions.-Moses Warner, 1793; Samuel Manning, 1814; Oliver Farrar, 1822; Edwards Simmons, 1828; Joel Balch, 1836; Joseph Dodge, jr., 1743; John Adams, 1850.
Senator.-Henry J. Parker, 1888.
Representatives from Andover.-John Simonds, 1781-82; Samuel Brown, 1783; John Simonds, jr., 1784; Benjamin Cox, 1787; Frederick Rogers, 1788-91, 1794; Moses Warner, 1792-93, 1795-997, 1800, 1810; Alvin Simonds, 1798, 1801-05; Moses Rowell, 1799, 1802; Samuel Burton, 1804; William Stevens, 1806; C. G. Persons, 1807; Cyrus Smith, 1808; Joel Manning, 1812; John Wait, 1813-15; Samuel Manning, 1814-16-18; Joseph Kirk, 1817; Oliver Farrar, 1819-21; Joel Balch, 1820-22-23, 1835; Edward Simonds, 1824-28-1833; Orin Hazeltine, 1829-30; William Warner, 1831-32; Jerry Adams, 1834; John B. Manning, 1836; T. B. Manning, 1887; Joseph Dodge, jr., 1838-40, 1844-45, 1853, 1862-63; Solomon Howard, 1841-43, 1850, 1857; Charles Sherwin, 1846; John Adams, 1847-49; George W. Stickney, 1848, 1858-59-1861-1864-65; A. A. Constantine, 1854-55; C. Leonard, 1860; Horace Burton, 1866-67; Frederick A. Way, 1868-69, 1878, 1882; Albert E. Stannard, 1870-72-76; Henry J. Parker, 1874; Isaiah Lovejoy, 1880; Darwin A. Benson, 1884-86-88. In the years not noted the town was not represented.
Selectmen, from the Organization of the Town.-James Keyes, 1780; Frederick Rogers, 1780, 1784-86, 1788-90; John Simonds, jr., 1780-86, 1792; Moses Warner, 1781-82, 1787-89, 1792-96, 1798-99, 1806, 1810-11' Ezekiel Pease, 1781-83; Samuel Brown, 1782-1784-85; Stephen Burgess, 1793; Thomas Adams, 1786-87' August Pease, 1787-90, 1793-95; Daniel Allen, 1790-91; Daniel Sherwin, 1791, 1794-95, 1797; Samuel Pettingill, 1791; Solomon Heywood, 1792; SamuelManning, 1793; Wm. Stevens, 1796; John McNeal, 1796; Jonathan Cram, 1797-98, 1806; David Spafford, 1797; Amasa Piper, 1798-99; James Parker, 1799; Samuel Burton, 1800-05, 1807-09; Phineas Parker, 1800; Joel Manning, 1801-02; James S. Parker, 1801-03; Cyrus Smith, 1803, 1807-08, 1813, 1817-20; John Burton, 1804-05; Isaac Peabody, 1804-05; Jonathan Putnam, 1806, 1812-19; Joseph Dodge, jr., 1807-11; Darius Gassetts, 1809; Joel Balch, 1810-12, 1814, 1820-22, 1826, 1829, 1835-36; John Pettingill, 1812-13; Thomas Dodge, 1814-15; Abner Feltt, jr., 1815-16; Abraham Brown, 1816-19, 1827-28, 1831-32, 1840-41; Jerry Adams, 1820, 1829-30; Edward Simmons, 1821-25, 1828-32; Benjamin Morse, 1821-22, 1831-33; Samuel Clark, 1823, 1835-36; William Dyer, 1823; Solomon Howard, Jr., 1824-25, 1832-34, 1839, 1851; Eli Burke, 1824; William Warner, 1825-27; Orin Hazeltine, 1826; Edward Manning, 1827-28; Abiel Pierce, 1830; John B. Manning, 1833, 1847-50; Sewall Smith, 1833; Charles W. Chandler, 1834-36; John Adams, 1834; Joseph Dodge, jr., 1837-40, 1842-46, 1848-50, 1853-54, 1860-63; Nathaniel Lord, 1837-38; William Clark, 1837; Ephraim Puffer, 1838; George W. Stickney, 1839-40, 1847-54, 1858; Henry Heald, 1841-46, 1855, 1864; Lyman Parker, 1841-42, 1856; Alden Gutterson, 1843-45; Charles Sherwin, 1846-47; Franklin Austin, 1851-52, 1855-56; Joel Stannard, 1852; Richard Ward, 1853-44, 1858; Harvey Carlton, 1855; Lyman Sheldon, 1856-57, 1860, 1862-63; Spencer Taylor, 1857; Jesse Andrews, 1857, 1859; Bishop F. Howard, 1858-59, 1864-66; Sylvanus L. Marsh, 1859; Isaac B. Puffer, 1860; Capen Leonard, 1861; Horace Burton, 1861-63; L. Stearns, 1864 (elected, but did not serve); O. M. Leonard, 1864-65; William Pierce, 1865; Albert L. Stannard, 1866-69, 1875-76, 1879-81; Frederick A. Way, 1866-69, 1881; Henry J. Parker, 1867, 1871-74; Phineas R. Carlton, 1868-73, 1882, 1884-86; James H. Heald, 1870-71, 1873-74; Rufus E. Edson, 1870, 1877-78, 1882, 1884; Samuel H. Nutting, 1872; A. J. Peabody, 1874 (resigned); Stephen Dudley, 1874; Alden Jaquith, 1875-76; Isaiah Lovejoy, 1875-81; A. D. L. Hderrick, 1877-78; W. F. Feltt, 1879-80; Benjamin G. Thompson, 1883-84, 1888; C. A. Osborne, 1885, 1888-89; Platt T. Marsh, 1885-87; J. D. Taylor, 1886-87; Horace Bailey, 1887; William Rowell, 1888-89; Darwin A. Benson, 1889.
Town Clerks since the Organization of the Town.-Moses Warner, 1780-82, 1787-96, 1798-99, 1810-11; John Simonds, jr., 1783-85; Samuel Brown, 1786; Jonathan Cram, 1797; Samuel Burton, 1801-09; Jonathan Putnam, 1812-19; Cyrus Smith, 1820; Edward Simonds, 1821-25, 1828; William Warner, 1826-27; Nathanial P. Dodge, 1829-31; Sewall Smith, 1832-36; Joseph Dodge, jr., 1837-46, 1862-63; John B. Manning, 1847-49; George W. Putnam, 1851-60; Alonzo C. Gutterson, 1861-62 (removed west in the latter year); J. D. Pettingill, 1864-65; William Pierce, 1866-67; Lewis Howard, 1868-75; Charles M. Gutterson 1876 to the present time.
Town Treasurers since the Organization of the Town.-Moses Warner, 1780-81; Samuel Brown, 1782-85, 1798-1802; Ebenezer Simonds, 1786; John Simonds, jr., 1787-92; Ebenezer Cummings, 1793-97; Joel Manning, 1804-05; James S. Parker, 1806-13; Abner Gutterson, 1814-18 (died in office); Joseph Stickney, 1818-29; Joel Balch, 1830-32; Joseph Dodge, jr., 1833-34; Alden Gutterson, 1835-36; George W. Stickney, 1837-38, 1851, 1858-70; George W. Putnam, 1839-43; Harvey Carlton, 1844-47; Henry Heald, 1848-56; Albert D. L. Herrick, 1871-75; C. M. Gutterson, 1876-89. The records do not state whether a treasurer was elected in 1803.
Religious History.-There have been in this town at different times societies or classes of the following religious denominations: Baptist, Universalist, Congregationalist, Methodist and Free Will Baptist. The only regular organized society in the town at present is the Baptist.
This church was organized August 31, 1803. Previous to that time the inhabitants of this denomination in the town attended Rev. Aaron Leland's church at Chester. The first member of the Baptist church who moved into the town was Samuel Manning. The first Baptist minister who preached in town was Rev. Joseph Elliott. The others who preached in the town in private houses, school-houses, and in the open air at an early day were Revs. Higbee, Choate, Bailey, Coombs and McCollins.
As early as 1798 the town was divided into two parishes. On October 1, 1806, a council was formed of the following members of the Baptist church: Elder Jeremiah Higbee, of Alstead; Deacon Nathaniel Shepherd and Joseph Hall, of Windsor; Elder Samuel Smith, of Wardsboro; Elder Ariel Kendrick, of Cornish; and Elder Stephen Choate and Jacob Batchelder. At this meeting Rev. Joel Manning was ordained as the first minister over the church. A church building was erected in 1809, 30 x 40 feet in dimensions, in the northeastern part of the town on what is known as East Hill. Rev. Mr. Manning was pastor over the church more than twenty years, and the following have since occupied the pulpit: Revs. Rodney Manning, Calvin Monroe, Elias Hurlburt, John Pierce, Calvin Baker, D. W. Burrows, Harvey Crowley, Alfred A. Constantine, Lyman Culver, E. F. Smith, Calvin Fisher, A. J. Walker and T. E. Eastman. The present pastor is Rev. L. E. Kenney. A new church was erected at Peaseville in 1868, which is 35 x 41 feet.
A meeting-house 44 x 52 feet was built in 1820 at the center of the town, and was called the Congregationalist Union church. Services were held there at irregular periods, and there was no settled pastor. The building was burned down in 1862.
The Universalist church was organized in town in 1807. Rev. Cornelius Persons preached in this church four or five years. Services were held as late as 1852 and among those who supplied the desk at different times were Revs. Warren Skinner, Hemphill and Loveland.
No Methodist church has ever prospered in Andover. In 1814 or 1815 a class of about twenty members existed for a few years in the northern part of the town.
During the year 1848 the Union church, 30 x 40 feet, was built at Simonsville. In the same year Elder H. R. Crain organized a Free Will Baptist church which worshipped there, but it was short lived.
Two Mormon ministers visited the southern part of the town between the years 1830 and 1838, and made some converts who removed to Ohio.
Schools.-The first person who taught school in Andover was Miss Betsey Stevens in 1793. She taught in what was known as the old Abbott house. The first schoolmaster was Antepast Howard, who taught the first winter school. Previous to this, according to the town records, we find that at a meeting held March 3, 1788, Timothy Nichols, Antepast Howard, Ezra Chapin, Thomas Adams, and John Simonds, jr., were appointed a committee to divide the town into school districts. Subsequently the town was divided into three districts, and Samuel Brown, Ebenezer Simonds and Joseph Howard were elected trustees.
The first school-house, as far as can be ascertained, was built in the northern part of the town about 1805, and another was built a few years later, between Simonsville and Peaseville. There are at present seven school districts in the town.
Physicians of Andover.-The only physician of prominence who ever practiced in Andover was Dr. Charles M. Chandler. He was a grandson of Judge Thomas Chandler, one of the first settlers of Chester. His father, Thomas Chandler, jr., was also a resident of Chester, and in that town the doctor was born. He came to Andover to practice about 1800, settling near the center of the town. He was a resident physician about fifty years, and died in Ludlow, January 9, 1853, at the age of eighty-two years.
The other physicians who practiced in Andover were of the botanic school. Dr. Putnam Barton began practice in 1836, and five years later removed to Ludlow. Dr. Isaac Chase practiced from 1840 to 1844, and died in the latter year.
Many natives of this town have become members of the medical fraternity in the other parts of the country, among whom are the following: Richard Lee Howard, a successful surgeon, died in Ohio; Elias Howard and Wolcott Chandler, died at Natick, Mass.; Byron S. Chase, died at Akron, O.; David H. Chase, died in Indiana.
Important Events.-In 1780 John Simonds erected a saw and grist-mill in what is now Weston. Stephen Dudley erected in the south part of the town of Andover, as at present constituted, the first grist-mill. The first saw-mill was built by Moses Rowell, at the so called center of the town. The first blacksmith was Isaac Allen; the first shoemaker, Hart Balch; the first cloth-dresser, Orrin Hazeltine; the first store was kept in the southwestern part of the town by Joseph Bullard. The first tannery was built by Ebenezer Farnsworth. The first mail carrier was Abner Feltt, who brought the mail form Bellows Falls. In 1812 the town was visited by the spotted fever, resulting in eight deaths.
From the time the town was divided in 1800, until 1819, Andover sent a representative one year, and Weston one the next year. In 1818 Joel Balch, representative from Andover, laid the matter before the Legislature, and the right to send a representative from each town was granted.
In 1824 the town was divided into eight school districts, each equipped with a school-house. There were three grist mills, three saw-mills, one carding machine, one fulling-mill, two stores, two taverns, and one tannery.
The town hall was built in 1863, Horace Burton, Spencer Taylor, and B. F. Howard being the building committee. The sum of $1,000 was appropriated for the purpose by the town.
Andover in the Wars.-There is no evidence that this town took any active part in the Revolutionary war, on account, doubtless, of its being so thinly settled, and so far removed from the seat of the struggle. But a great number of her early settlers were actively engaged in the war before their settlements here. Among them were Solomon Howard, Samson Walker, David Hazeltine, Jonas Adams, Levi Adams, Andrew Bradford, Hart Balch, Peter Adams, Peter Putnam, Joseph Stickney, Joseph Abbott, Ebenezer Farnsworth, William Pierce, Benjamin Pierce, David Burton, Daniel Knights, Richard Bradford, Jesse Parkhurst, Luther Adams, John Barton, Frederick Rogers.
When a call was made for volunteers for the War of 1812 the town voted to pay its soldiers five dollars each at the start for pocket money, and to raise their wages to ten dollars per month. Following are the names of those who enlisted: Salvanus L. Marsh, Adolphus Howard, Samuel Dutton, John Tyrrell, Jerry Adams, Cyrus Bailey, Hart Balch, Ebenezer Farnsworth, John Abbott, Jake Abbott, Caleb Cram, Joseph Cram, David Bradford, Morris Howard, Antepast Howard, Joseph Howard, Joseph Bullard, James Burton, William Kimball, Sibrean C. Taylor, Samuel Pettengill, Ira Hale, William Feltt, Andrew Bradford.
When the war cloud of 1861-65 cast its shadow over the country Andover exhibited the good old patriotic spirit bequeathed to her by the forefathers. At a town meeting held on June 4, 1861, Joseph Dodge was appointed an agent to look after the families of those that had volunteered from the town, and it was agreed to pay two dollars a month to such families so long as the heads were in service. In September, 1862, $1,000 was raised by the town to pay bounties, and towards the latter part of the war the bounties were raised to $500.
Following is a record of the soldiers from this town in the last war:
First Regiment, Company E.-Isaac T. Chase, James W. Larkin, Charles W. Larkin, Ira E. Chase; all mustered out August 15, 1861.
Second Regiment, Company I.-Byron C. Butterfield, discharged March 12, 1863; Henry A. Lovejoy, died December 4, 1861; Vernon A. Marsh, discharged October 17, 1862; Harland O. Peabody (corporal), discharged May 1, 1862; Daniel P. Perkins, transferred to Infantry Corps; Henry A. Comstock and Simeon S. Parkhurst, re-enlisted.
Third Regiment.-Olin A. Pettingill, died February 5, 1863; John S. Marsh, killed at the battle of the Wilderness; Ira C. Chace, re-enlisted.
Fourth Regiment.-Ebenezer Farnsworth, re-enlisted; Ashbel K. Gould, discharged from Infantry Corps January 17, 1864; Henry Hutchins, discharged January 4, 1863; Hollis Sheldon, promoted to corporal.
Fifth Regiment, Company E.-Philo Y Folter (corporal), discharged May 11, 1863.
Sixth Regiment, Company E.-Henry C. Cleveland (sergeant), re-enlisted; Orris Pier, re-enlisted; Benjamin F. Dwinnell, re-enlisted.
Seventh Regiment, Company G.-George W. Baldwin, died August 1, 1862; George O. Dodge (corporal), re-enlisted; Wesley M. Dodge, re-enlisted; James W. Larkin (sergeant), re-enlisted; Charles H. Larkin (corporal), re-enlisted; James H. Larkin, died October 15, 1862.
Ninth Regiment, Company D.-Azro B. Diggins, John French, discharged December 5, 1862; Homer Hesselton, died April 12, 1863; Charles B. Taylor (corporal), discharged June 14, 1863.
Tenth Regiment, Company H.-Erastus Sargent, deserted September 3, 1862; Samuel F. Hall, transferred to Surgeon Corps.
Eleventh Regiment, Company G.-Henry M. Marsh.
First Cavalry Regiment, Companies E. and F.-Roselvo A. Howard, died of starvation at Andersonville prison; Julius Cunningham, missing in action; Julius Hesselton, died February 19, 1864; Warren K. Spaulding; Cyrus S. Tuttle, died at Andersonville prison; Norman E. Tuttle; Charles W. Bishop, died of wounds; Hiram Gould, re-enlisted; George R. Crosby, re-enlisted; John A. Twing, re-enlisted; Theodore Witt, missing in action; George W. Haskell, re-enlisted, wounded; William C. Joyce, re-enlisted.
Sixteenth Regiment, Company C.-Nine months.-Edward O. Carlton, Lorenzo G. Corlidge (corporal), Nathaniel P. Dodge, Daniel C. Gould, Richard C. Green, George R. Hesselton, Henry M. Marsh, Harland O. Peabody (sergeant), Abram Rowell, Joel R. Spaulding, killed at Gettysburg, Pa.
Andover.-This hamlet, locally known as Peaseville, is situated in the eastern part of the town on the north branch of Wiklliams River. It contains a church, a steam-mill, and about half a dozen dwellings. As early as 1840 Ambrose Pease opened a general store at this point, and from him the hamlet was named. The store was discontinued after several years.
At the time of the breaking out of the late war a man named Brownell began trade here. He was succeeded by A. C. Gutterson. The latter removed West and sold to J. C. Pettingill, who carried on business to about 1856, when J. C. French took it. A few years later he discontinued the business, and there has been no store here since.
About two miles west of the present post-office of Andover, in the center of the town, near the Congregational Union church, the first post-office in the town was established. A general store was opened at an early day, and was conducted about the year 1840 by J. B. Manning, who sold out to Nathaniel Smith. The store was operated for a short time by A. C. Gutterson and then was made a Union store, and discontinued about 1859. The first postmaster her was Samuel Nichols, whose successors have been James Blood, William Warner, Sewell Smith, George W. Putnam, John B. Manning, A. C. Gutterson, B. Carlton, George W. Putnam (second term), J. D. Pettingill, and Abner Feltt, who has filled the position since 1866.
Early Manufacturers.-About 1851 J. Dodge & Son began in the middle of the town to manufacture wooden door-knobs, and afterwards made bedsteads. They continued till about 1861, and two years afterwards the reservoir which supplied the water was washed out.
On the north branch of the Williams River, near where the hamlet of Andover now is, A. Putnam erected the first ill and manufactured wheels and wheel-heads. This mill was burned, and rebuilt by Dr. Charles W. Chandler, for a saw and grist-mill, and was purchased in 1866 by Abner and W. A. Feltt, and remodeled. In 1870 steam was substituted for water, and chair-stock, clothes-horses, mop-sticks, turned stock, and woodenware were manufactured. In the spring of 1871 the works were totally destroyed by fire, and were rebuilt the same year and again burned in August, 1886.
The present manufactures of Andover are a steam-mill located on the north branch of Williams River, built in 1888, and operated by Ralph and Hugh Barton; a cheese factory, 30 x 60 feet, two stories high, with a capacity for five hundred cows, at Andover, and one in process of erection at Simonsville.
Simonsville.-This is a hamlet located in the southern part of the town, on the south branch of the Williams River, and has a hotel, a church, and three or four dwellings. The place derives its name from Edward L. Simons, who previous to 1830 built the present hotel and kept a general store at that point. About this time a post-office was established here, and Mr. Simons was the first postmaster; he was succeeded in 1836 by his son, Leonard H. Simons. The other successive postmasters were as follows: Charles Sherwin, Alvah Hazeltine, Cyrus Smith, A. C. Gutterson, Otis Clay, H. B. Stannard, J. A. Cunningham, and the present incumbent, Mrs. Helen Peabody. In 1842 Charles Sherwin purchased the store, and after passing through various hands it was purchased in 1854 by A. C. Gutterson and Otis Clay; the former disposed of his interest to the latter about two years afterwards. Mr. Clay sold out in 1860 to H. O. Peabody, who carried on the business about a year, when it was discontinued.
About 1879 H. B. Stannard opened a small store for the sale of groceries, stationery, etc., which he afterwards sold to J. H. Cunningham, who sold it to H. O. Peabody, who carries it on at the present time in connection with the hotel. In 1871 Albert E. Stannard and Ora Abbott built a steam saw-mill at this point, and six years afterwards Mr. Abbott disposed of his interest to his partner. The mill was burned October 10, 1879.
It would be impossible within the compass of this work to give a genealogical sketch of each family that has been connected with the town. The remainder of this chapter is devoted to those who feel and have manifested an interest in preserving the records of their ancestors. For sketches received too late for insertion in this chapter please refer to a later chapter of this work.
Benson, Dorwin A., only son of Arza and Louisa (Wheeler) Benson, was born in Londonderry, Vt., April 30, 1846. He became a resident of Andover in 1868, and married Rose L. Chase, and has one child, Hettie C.
Chase, Hibbard, son of Bezaleel, was born in Townshend, Vt., June14, 1801, and married Cynthia Howard. He came to Andover in 1837, where he died December 4, 1876. His children were Henry, who died at the age of six years; William R., resides at Meriden, Texas; Byron S., a doctor, died at Akron, O.; Elias, lives at Long Prairie, Ill.; Worthy, resides in Newfane, Vt.; Cynthia S., wife of Mr. Aiken, lives in Illinois; Welthie J. (deceased), married V. J. Wood; Charles W., died in Londonderry; Rose L., wife of D. A. Benson; Eugene, died at fourteen years of age.
Chase, Bezaleel, married Susannah Taft, and they had the following family: Hibbard; Balis, who died in Andover; Wealthy (deceased), married Amos Howard; Alanson, resides at Newfane, Vt.; Winifred, lives at Wadsworth, Vt.; Sardis died at Washington, Ind.; and Elliott, died at Jamaica, Vt.
Fuller, Benjamin, was born in Linesboro, N. H., September 1, 1785, and came to Andover in 1807, settling on the farm where his son, William W., now resides. He married Naomi Burton, of Wilton, N. H., who was born July 29, 1786. Their children were Amos, who died at Ludlow, Vt.; Francis Putnam, resides in Andover; Rodney, resides in Ludlow; Lewis, died in Milford, N. H.; Rebecca W., Married Isaac Walker; John B., died in Lowell, Mass.; Elvira (deceased), married Rev. Calvin Baker, a Baptist minister; Arvilla, widow of O. B. Craig, resides at Fort Madison, Ia.; Joseph LaFayette, died at the age of fifteen years; and William W. Benjamin died July 29, 1873.
Fuller, William W., son of Benjamin, was born in Andover, October 11, 1826, and married Rosannah Burton. They have no children, but have a legally adopted son, Charles A.
Gutterson, Samuel, was born June 7, 1738, and married Lydia Stephens. They had the following children: Samuel, born February 28, 1765; John, born August 27, 1766; Abner, born March 27, 1768; Simeon, born December 8, 1769; Lydia, born October 17, 1772; Sarah, born September 3, 1774; Jacob, born November 28, 1777; Abeal, born April 4, 1780; Molly, born March 21, 1783; Josiah, born June 29, 1786. His children by his second wife were Anna, born December 24, 1795, and Amos, born May 7, 1798. He died November 23, 1818, and his wife Lydia died in December, 1787.
Gutterson, Abner, son of Samuel, was born in Milford, N. H., March 27, 1768, and removed from his native town to Andover in 1794, and purchased the farm where his grandson, C. M. Gutterson, now resides. He married, January 25, 1795, Phebe Barker, who was born May 27, 1767. They had three children, viz.: Abner, who died in northern New York; Phebe (deceased), married Nathaniel Lord; and Alden. Abner died May 2, 1818.
Gutterson, Alden, son of Abner, was born in Andover, October 29, 1802, and married Sophia Hall. They had eleven children, viz.: Alden Newell, died young; Alonzo Clinton, resides in Steele county, Minn.; Warren John, died in Minn.; Miranda Sophia, wife of P. R. Carlton, of Andover; Hiland Hall, died a bachelor in 1878, at Andover; Maria Caroline, wife of A. P. Fuller, of Rutland, Vt.; Mary Ann, died young; Henry Franklin, married Julia, daughter of I. W. Richardson, of Boston, Mass., died in Chelsea, Mass., and left no issue; Emma Jane (deceased), married W. A. Feltt; Charles Milton; and George Leslie, a dentist at South Fairhaven, Vt. Alden died January 11, 1876.
Gutterson, Charles Milton, son of Alden, born at Andover, May 22, 1848, married Rozzie Lovejoy, and has three children, Maud E., Albert L., and Jessie S.
Larkin, James H., was born in New Hampshire. He married Mehitable Peabody, and their children were Lucetta M., wife of Leland Frost, of Rutland, Vt.; James W.; Mary D., wife of George S. Spencer, of Hokah, Minn.; and Charles H. James H. enlisted in Company G, Seventh Vermont Regiment, December 7, 1861, and died at the hospital at New Orleans, La., October 15, 1862.
Larkin, James W., son of James H., was born at Andover, October 15, 1838, and married Nancy M. Peabody. He enlisted, May 1, 1861, on the first call for troops in Company E, First Vermont Regiment, being one of four from Andover. He re-enlisted November 29, 1861, in Company G, Seventh Vermont Regiment, for three years, but was mustered out February 19, 1864, to enlist as a veteran in the Seventh Vermont Veteran Regiment, and was finally mustered out February 21, 1866. After the war he returned to his native town, and subsequently lived at Springfield and Putney, Vt., where he died July 20, 1880. He left three children, Eva M., Rosa M., and Ned H., who, with his widow, reside in Chester.
Larkin, Charles H., son of James H., was born in Londonderry, Vt., December 29, 1842. His military record is the same as that of his brother. After the war he returned to Andover. He came to Chester and engaged in the mercantile business in 1882. He married Elva M. Gould, and has one child, Nina A.
The Manning Family.-William Manning, the American ancestor of the Andover branch of that name, came from England as early as 1634, and settled at Cambridge, Mass. William, son of the above, resided at Cambridge, and was nearly twenty years selectman. Samuel, the son of the last William, lived at Billerica, Mass., and was representative, town clerk, and eighteen years selectman. John, the son of Samuel, lived at Cambridge, and was the father of Samuel, who was born at Cambridge, April 20, 1703, and settled in Townsend, Mass., where he was twenty years town clerk, and fourteen years selectman. Samuel died November 6, 1773. His eldest son, Samuel, was born March 15, 1732, resided at Townsend, and was prominent during the Revolutionary war. He married Abigail Avery, and died January 28, 1809. His sons Samuel, Joel, Joseph, and Benjamin were among the early settlers of Andover.
Manning, Samuel, son of Samuel, was born at Townsend, Mass., November 24, 1762. He was highly educated for the time in which he lived, having been a school-teacher in early life, and was the author of at least two published books, though his business was that of a farmer. He was founder and deacon of the first church ever organized in Andover. He died in town April 22, 1842. His first wife was Amy Gorham. The issue of this marriage was Hannah, who married Abiel Pierce; Bethiah, married Benja Baldwin; Samuel; Amy, married Nathaniel Putnam; Calista, died young; and Jabez Gorham, who resided chiefly at Warwick, Mass., where he died.
Manning, Samuel, son of Samuel, was born at Andover, July 7, 1796. He was a farmer as Townshend, Landgrove, Vt., and Warwick, Mass., where he died November 18, 1840. He married Mary Hall Holt, of Weston. Their children were William Wallace; Samuel Lorenzo, died young; Caroline, married William Maudesley; Eliza and Louisa, twins, died young.
Manning, William Wallace, son of Samuel, was born at Townshend, July 11, 1826. He has resided principally at Weston, where he has been justice of the peace, representative in 1882 and 1888, and ten years selectman. He married for his first wife Nancy Maria Richardson. They had two children, viz.: Fanny Maria, wife of Frank B. Shattuck, of Somerville, Mass.; and William H., a resident of New York City.
Manning, Joel, son of Samuel, was prominently identified with the Baptist Church at Andover.
Manning, Joseph, son of Samuel, remained in Andover until about 1808, when he removed to Binghamton, N. Y.
Manning, Benjamin, son of Samuel, died at Andover in 1813, and his descendants removed South and West.
Parker, Henry, J., Hon., was born in Plainfield, N. H., May 2, 1836, and is the eldest son of Benjamin and Betsey (Fullam) Parker. He attended the Springfield Wesleyan Seminary and Kimball Union Academy, Meriden, N. H. In early life he was engaged in teaching, spending his time in Illinois, Shrewsbury, Vt., and other places. He enlisted in 1862, from the town of Weston, Vt., in Company H, Sixteenth Vermont Regiment, and was discharged as a corporal at the expiration of the term of enlistment. In 1864 he became a resident of Andover, where he has since resided, and is engaged in farming. He represented Andover in the Legislature in 1874 and 1875, and was Senator from Windsor county in 1888 and 1889. He married Adalaide Putnam, and has one child, Edwin H.
Putnam, Peter, was born in Hancock, N. H., November 29, 1768, and came to Andover in 1799, settling on the farm now occupied by his granddaughter, Mrs. W. W. Ward. He married Rachel Hills. They had three children, viz.: George Washington; Rachel (deceased), married Ezra Dodge; and Isaac Henry, died at ten years of age. Peter married for his second wife Sally Fuller, and died April 26, 1851.
Putnam, George Washington, son of Peter, was born in Hancock, N. H., November 24, 1798, and married Lucinda Hills. They had five children: George Washington, who resides in Ash Ridge, Wis., and has five sons, viz.: George Henry, Arthur LeGrand, Frederick Ellsworth, Israel Peter, Addison Lincoln; Henry Evander, has no children, and lives at Los Angeles, Cal.; Rachel Lucinda, wife of P. S. Hannum, of Putney, Vt.: Mary Abby Jane (deceased), was twice married, first to Billings Paul, second to Zenas Thomas; Sarah Catherine, wife of Webster W. Ward, of Andover. George Washington died June 5, 1873.
Rowell, Richard, came from Temple or Wilton, N. H., to Andover, at an early date. He married Mary Rogers, and had the following family: Artemas, died at West Acton, Mass.; Roswell, died at Landgrove, Vt.; Mary, who married David Barton, and died in Michigan.
Rowell, Jacob, son of Richard, was born in Andover, February 18, 1793, and married Mary Craig. Their children were Henry, who died in the West; Isaac, lives at Ticonderoga, N. Y.; Rodney, resides at Poultney, Vt.; Mary, widow of Asa Ross, lives in Ludlow, Vt.; William; Elizabeth, widow of G. L. Cass, resides at Andover; Orlando, lives at Toconderoga, N. Y.; Abram; and Martha (deceased), married D. F. Bailey. Jacob died June 4, 1866.
Rowell, Abram, son of Jacob, bornin Andover, September 15, 1835, married Ada J. Way. Their children were Alice, who died at the age of eight years; Fred, resides in Weston, Vt.; and Annie.
Stickney, Joseph, was born at Boxford, Mass., April 13, 1762, and was the son of Joseph and Jane (Sloss) Stickney. He married Anna Hosmer, of Mason, N. H., and they had four children: Lucy (deceased), married John B. Manning; Eliza (deceased), married Barnard Carlton; George Washington; and Joseph Hosmer, a resident of Vernon, Wis. Joseph was a soldier in the Revolutionary war. He died April 3, 1848.
Stickney, George Washington, son of Joseph, was born as New Ipswich, N. H., October 25, 1804, and married Roxeealane Burton, of Weston, Vt. They had eight children, viz.: Nancy (deceased), married A. C. Gutterson; Warren, died at sixteen years of age; Byron; Jane, died ten years of age; Cassius M., a member of the First Vermont Cavalry, died in a hospital at Richmond, Va.; he married Rosalie J. Peabody, but left no children; Eliza L., wife of Warren Beard, of Chester; Preston L., lives at Hereford Minn.; and Eva J., resides in Andover.
Stickney, Byron, son of George W., was born in Andover, October 17, 1837, married Maranda O., daughter of Phineas Carlton, and has two children, George P., born July 9, 1866; and Ines J., died February 14, 1890, aged sixteen years.
Walker, Samson, came from Massachusetts to Temple, N. H., and to Andover in 1800, where he died in April, 1827. He married Thankful Pierce, and had the following family: Jesse; Pierce, died single; Nathaniel, died at twenty years of age; Thankful, married Eli Burnap; Hannah (deceased), married Calvin Gibson; Mary (deceased), married John Felton; Sarah, married Heald; Amy (deceased), married John Hull; and Rachel (deceased), married Ira Lamson.
Walker, Jesse, son of Samson, born in Temple, N. H., died in Andover, April, 1828, at forty-eight years of age. He married Lois Holt. Their children were Lois (deceased), married Franklin Mansor; Relief, widow of Isaiah Heselton, resides in Weston, Vt.; Sally (deceased), married Matthew Wilkins; Jesse, resides in Wisconsin; Isaac; John, died at four years of age; Hannah (deceased), married Charles Graham.
Walker, Isaac, son of Jesse, born in Andover, December 28, 1817, married for his first wife Rebecca Fuller, by whom he had two children. Merrill, died at the age of seventeen years; and Nellie, died at the age of nine years. His second wife was Azubah Stevens. Their children are Henry I.; and Emma E., wife of C. B. Forbes, of Andover.
Walker, Henry I., son of Isaac, was born at Andover, April 3, 1859, and married Alice Turner. They have but one child, Albert Isaac.
Transcribed by Jan Grant
Back to Vermont Trails History and Genealogy