Source: History of Windsor County, Vermont by Lewis C. Aldrich and Frank R Holmes, 1891
Transcribed by Gary Wysocki
HISTORY OF THE TOWN OF ROYALTON
The district of land now in heretofore known by the name of Royalton was one of the very few civil divisions or tracts that form a part of Windsor County, that was not granted or chartered by Benning Wentworth; and why the doughty governor happened not to make some disposition of this particular town, when he did of the others to the east and south of it, both of which were less desirable than this, is a mystery, the solution of which will not be attempted here. And while the other towns east and south, and possibly some north, were chartered in occupied between 1765 and 1770, generally under New Hampshire grants, it still remained for the New York control to bring into existence, survey in settle what became the town of Royalton, the first proceeding toward that and being taken during the year 1769.
As a reader must understand, whatever of rights to governor of New Hampshire had, in or to the district known as the New Hampshire Grants, was extinguished and ended by the order of the king and 1764; and that same order declared the district to belong to the colony of New York. Thus vested, the governor of the latter province, on the 13th of November, 1769, issued a charter to certain of his special favors, by name George Banyar, William Smith, Whitehead Hicks, and John Kelly, all of whom it is understood where residents of the city of New York. These proprietors at once caused a survey of the town to be made, also a plan of the most elaborate character, dividing the territory into tracts, lots and districts, and then made a bid for settlement, or at least the sale of the lands and tracts to speculators and anyone, in fact, whether they sought to become the actual settlers were not. And it seems that these proprietors must have sold a part of the lands to some of their own residents, four, by an instrument in writing, dated August 21, 1771, the lands of the town were partitioned between William Livingston, Goldsboro Banyar, Whitehead Hicks, William Smith and John Kelly. Under these proprietors the first permanent settlement was made in the town during the year 1771, by the coming of Robert Havens and his family; and in the next year Elisha Kent and family appeared as settlers. After this time the settlers rapidly increased in numbers, as much so, perhaps, as in any similarly situated town in your region; and it is estimated that in 1780 the town had a population of 300 persons. And of course the settlers consider themselves as residents and citizens of the State of New York, and so they, in fact, were, for the time at least, and until the new State of Vermont was created. And it is true, too, although there appears to be no record too the effect, that the town was organized in the laws of New York, an elected the town officers in accordance with the custom prevailing in the province at that time. But when the new State of Vermont was formed and declared to be an independent jurisdiction the people of Royalton very readily accommodated themselves to the new order of things, elected officers as required by the laws of Vermont, and became and considered themselves to all intents and purposes as a part of the latter jurisdiction. Thus easily did they alienate themselves from the State that had created their town, who's very proprietors were New Yorkers, and to whom, undoubtedly, some of them were obligated.
And it may be said as an undoubted fact that the people of Royalton were heartily in favor of the new State, and although the town was not represented in the Dorset conventions, nor in fact by a personal delegate at the Westminster convention of January 15, 1777, he was at the latter represented by a letter issuing out of the town, from which it appeared that the inhabitants had voted in favor of the new State, and so expressed themselves to the convention. But it is proper to say in this connection that the town was influenced in this action by the fact that it was promised on the part of the new State advocates that the town's east of the Connecticut would be received into permanent union with those on the west side of the river, that all would be organized into the one State, which promise seemed particularly gratifying to Royalton, and several other towns as well, and influenced their action in joining the new State project. The eastern union was formed, but it proved, on account of certain complications, to be only temporary, and its dissolution so grieved the good people of Royalton that they joined with several other towns in convention, weary and they expressed the greatest dissatisfaction with the turn of affairs, declined to send a representative to the Vermont Assembly, withdrew all legions to the State, and joined in the petition to Congress that the State might not be admitted to the Federal Union.
This action, however pure or sincere may have been the motive that induced it, was certainly an unfortunate one for the town to take, for it nearly cost the people the lands which they had cleared and upon which they had built their homes. That action so provoked the leading statesman then at the head of affairs of the State that they felt constrained to ignore or treat as worthless the charter under which the people of Royalton held title, and to treat the town is so much vacant land. This was at a time when the treasury of the State said we needed replenishing, and, to the end that funds might be forthcoming, the authorities were willing to make grants of land to certain petitioners, for consideration. One of these petitions was from Danforth Keyes and his associates, when asked for a charter for the town over Royalton, the matter coming before the Governor and Council in the General Assembly in October, 1779, and the committee to which the matter of granting the town charters was referred on the 26th of October, reported to the effect that the Assembly should proceed and grant the towns, with a condition that any settlers "no one either of the aforesaid tracts" should not be molested or dispossessed, "provided they pay a proportion of the costs"; and further, then "each settler paying his equal part of the costs be entitled to have 100 acres of land where he has settled and improved." Ethan Allen was chairman of this committee. On the 27th of October the Assembly did pass an act granting several counts, among them are Royalton, and the latter to Danforth Keyes and others, and the Council authorized the governor to execute the charters; and on the 28th and was resolved that the proprietors of Royalton, the new grantees, paid two dollars per acre of the lands of the town. A still later "resolve" directed that in case any of the proprietors neglected or refused to pay the committee were authorized to substitute others who would pay.
It now became apparent to the settlers in Royalton that they were about to lose their lands, and they at once joined in a petition to the authorities of the State, choosing Captain Comfort Seaver their agent to present it, praying that the issuing of a charter to other proprietors should be deferred until the petitioners might have an opportunity of being heard in the premises. The Council and then appointed a committee of four--Benjamin Emmons, John Throop, Samuel Robinson and Captain Edmund Hodges-to precede to the town and hear the grievances of the petitioners. The expense of the committee was directed to be borne by the petitioners. But it appears that the committee found the matter of the title to the lands to be in dispute, the controversy being between the non-resident proprietors, the proposed proprietors under Vermont, and the actual settlers on the land. The further proceedings and report of the committee are not to be found, and any speculation upon what they may have done is not appropriate; suffice it to say that no charter was issued to Danforth Keyes and his associates, one of whom was Eliakim Spooner, and who was paid by the State twenty pounds in consideration of his giving up the grant for his "expense and damages sustained thereby"; but that on December 20, 1781, by an act of the Legislature, the town was granted, subsequently chartered, to Comfort Seaver and his associates, the abovementioned petitioners, the actual settlers on the soil, those who had acquired their lands under the New York charter, and who, all of them, were as follows: Comfort Seaver, Elias Stevens, Elisha Kent, John Kent, Elisha Kent, jr., John Hibbard, James Hibbard, Jedediah Hide, Ebenezer Dewey, Ebenezer Church, Nathan Fish, John Safford, Benjamin Parkhurst, Simon Shepard, Reuben Parkhurst, Daniel Gilbert, Daniel Ricks, John Kimball, Garner Ricks, Ebenezer Parkhurst, David Fish, David Brewster, Robert Havens, William Blackmer, Herman Durkee, Ebenezer Brewster, Medad Benton, Nathaniel Morse, Robert Handay, Benjamin Day, Timothy Durkee, John Gillett, Aden Durkee, John Billings, Joseph Fish, John Wilson, John Hibbard, jr., Samuel Benedict, Calvin Parkhurst, Josiah Wheeler, Joseph Parkhurst, Elias Curtis, John Havens, Johnson Safford, John Stevens, jr., Isaac Morgan, Zebulon Lyon, Nathan Morgan, Daniel Fuller, William Joyner, Martin Fuller, Daniel Havens, Benjamin Day, jr., John Evans, Jeremiah Trescott, Israel Waller, William Jones, John House, Tillie Parkhurst, Phineas Parkhurst, Samuel Clark, Joel Marsh.
The town of Royalton as granted in chartered by Vermont had not the same area as under the New York charter, for it was found that, had the same territory been granted, it would have overlapped the town lands of Bethel, on the Westside. To remedy this two tiers of lots were taken off from the town and laid out under the New York survey, thus reducing the area of Royalton.
But he returned the town of Royalton, and in the year 1780, one particular event, one of special and extraordinary importance; a serious and terrible occurrence in the early history of the town; and one which undoubtedly had much effect upon the minds of the people of the State at large, and had weight in leading the members of the Legislature to eventually grant the town to the persons affected by the event, and in setting aside the grant formally made to Danforth Keyes, Eliakim Spooner and their fellows. In the event was one, moreover, that has been, and ever will be, a memorable one in the history of this State, and always known and distinguished as
THE BURNING OF ROYALTON 1
"On the morning of the 16th of October, 1780, before the dawn of day the inhabitants of this town were surprised by the approach of about three hundred Indians of various tribes. They were led by the Caghnewaga tribe, and had left Canada intending to
1 The following account of what occurred at that time is extracted from Steele's Narrative, a small book published about or soon after the year 1800, and of which but very few copies are in existence. Fortunately one was found in the Windsor library and ested as accuracy there can be no doubt. Zadoc Steele, the author, was made a prisoner on the occasion of the burning.
destroy Newbury, a town in eastern part of Vermont, on Connecticut River. In British lieutenant by the name of Horton was their chief commander, and one Le Mott,
Frenchman, was his second. Their pilot or leader was a desperate villain by the name of Hamilton, who had been made prisoner by the Americans at the taking of Burgoyne in 1777. He had been at Newbury and Royalton the preceding summer on parole of honor; left the latter place was several others, under pretense of going to survey lands in the northern part of this State, and went directly to the enemy. He was doubtless the first instigator of those awful depredations which for the bitter fruits of this expedition, and which ought to stamp his name wide with disgrace.
"On their way Thither, is said, they came across several man from Newbury, who were engaged in hunting near the place where Montpelier village now stands, and made them prisoners. They made known their object to these hunters, and inquired of them whether an armed force was stationed at Newbury. Knowing the defenseless state of the town, and hoping they would be able to induce the Indians to relinquish their object and return to Canada, he told them that sucks in on the garrison was kept in Newbury as would render it extremely dangerous for them to approach. Unwilling however that this expedition should prove wholly fruitless, they turned their course to Royalton. Following up Onion River, as far as the mouth of Stevens branch, the steered their course through Barre, at that time called Wildersberg; proceeded up Gaol branch, which forms a part of the Stevens branch, and traveled over the mountains through Orange and Washington; bent down the first branch of White River, through Chelsea and Tunbridge, to Royalton. The late in their encampment at Tunbridge, not far distance for Royalton, during the Sabbath, that the preceding their attack on the latter place, for the purpose of conserting measures to carry into effect their atrocious and malignant design. As they entered the town before daylight appeared dark discovered their approach, and they were not discovered till Monday morning at dawn of day, when they entered the house of John Hutchinson, who resided not far from the line separating Royalton and Tunbridge. He was totally ignorant of their approach, and wholly on suspicious of danger until they burst the door upon him. Here they could John and Abijah Hutchinson, brothers, prisoners, and plundered their house; crossed the first branch and went to the house of Robert Havens, who lived a short distance away. Mr. Havens had gone out into his pasture in pursuit of his sheep, and having ascended a hill about forty runs from his house, heard his neighbor Hutchinson's dog bark, and stood in pensive silence. Casting is eyed to the west, toward his own dwelling, he beheld the company of Indians just entering the door. Seeing his own danger, he immediately laid down under a log and hitting himself from their site. With the groanings unutterable he lay awhile, heard the shrieks of his beloved wife, and saw his sons escaping for their lives. His son, Daniel Havens, and Thomas Pember were in the house and made their appearance a little before the Indians came up. Be holding the foe a few rods distant, they ran for their lives. Daniel Havens made his escape by throwing himself over a hedge fence down the bank of the branch and crawling under a log, although a large number of the Indians passed directly over it in pursuit of him. They pursued Pember until they came so nearest you throw a spear at him, which pierces body. He ran some time after he was wounded, till by loss of blood he fainted, fell, and was unable to proceed farther. The savage monsters came up, several times thrust a spear through his body, took his scalp, and left him food for the worms.
"The Indians made the house of Mr. Havens their rallying - place, or post of observation, and stationed a part of their company there to guard their baggage and make preparations for retreat when they had completed their work of destruction. Moving with violent steps, they proceeded down the first branch to its mouth; while a number, armed with spears, led the van, and were followed by others, armed with muskets and scalping knives. They had not proceeded for before young man named Elias Button made his appearance in the road but a few rods in front of them. Espying his danger, he turned and ran to escape their cruel hands. The savage tried pursued and soon overtook him, pierced his body with their spears, took off his scalp, and left him weltering in his gore. That they might be able to fall upon the inhabitants unawares, and thereby secure a greater number of prisoners, as well as procure a greater quantity of plunder, they kept profound silence till they had arrived at the mouth of the branch. After killing Pember and Button they proceeded to the house of Joseph Kneeland, where they found Simeon Belknap, Giles Gibbs, and Jonathan Brown, together with Joseph Kneeland and his aged father, all of whom were made prisoners. They then went to the house of Elias Curtis, where they took Curtis, John Kent and Peter Mason. Mrs. Curtis had just arisen from her bed, when she was approached by an Indian with knife in hand, and who made a threatening movement as if to cut her throat, but the savage happened to observe a string of gold beads around the woman's neck, which he at once took and left her undisturbed. To prevent an alarm being sounded abroad the Indians commanded the prisoners to keep silent on pain of death. They plundered every house they found till they arrived at the mouth of the branch, when the commander, a British officer, took his stand with a small party of Indians, while some went up and others down on each side of the river to complete the work of destruction. They had already taken several horses, some of which they rode to facilitate their march, and enabled them to overtake those who had attempted to make their escape, but the horses, through fright at their strange riders, served to impede a rather than hasten their progress.
"General Elias Stevens, who resided in the first house on the river above the mouth of the branch, had gone down the river about two miles, and was at work with his oxen and cart. While thus employed he beheld a man approaching, who, seeing the general, said,' For God's sake, turn out your oxen, for the Indians are at the mill.' (This mill was owned by Mr. Morgan, and was situated near the mouth of the first branch.) General Stevens turned out his oxen, mounted his horse, and started to return to his family, but before making half the distance he was met by Captain Joseph Parkhurst, when formed him that the Indians were but a few rods distant, in swift pursuit; whereupon the general turned and accompanied Parkhurst down the river, to the house of Deacon Daniel Rix. General Stevens took Mrs. Rix and two or three small children on his horse, and all rode off as fast as possible, accompanied by Deacon Rix and others on foot, and arrived at the one place where the general the first receive the alarm. Here, having seen no Indians, General Stevens concluded to return home and secure his household from danger. Leaving Mrs. Rix and children in care of a Mr. Burroughs, he started, and had proceeded about a mile when he saw the Indians but a few rods distant, upon which he quickly turned about, returned to the company he had left, and directed them to conceal themselves in the woods, which they did, and were passed undiscovered by the Indians, who continued on in pursuit of Stevens. The latter reached the house of Tillie Parkhurst, where he gave an alarm, and it once proceeded to warn others who lived contiguous. By this time the way was filled with men, women, and children, and a large body of Indians in open view was just behind them. The savage tribe now began to make the wilderness re-echo with their frightful yells. Frightened and alarmed for their safety, children clung to their parents, and half distracted mothers were heard to make the air resound with their cries of distress. General Stevens endeavored to get them into the woods, out of sight of the Indians, but few could be persuaded to go, and most of them captive road till they arrived at the house of Captain E. Parkhurst, in Sharon. Here they halted a moment to take breath, hoping they should not be pursued any farther. The Indians, being taken up in plundering the houses, had now fallen considerably in the rear; but the victims had not long been here when the cruel pursuers again appeared in sight.
"Seeing the Indians approaching, General Stephenson put his mother and sister on his own horse, and Captain Parkhurst put Mrs. Rix and three of her children on another horse, without a bridle, and ordered them to hasten their flight. There yet remained the wife of Captain E. Parkhurst, who stood in the most critical situation, surrounded by six small children clinging to her clothes and pleading for protection. Her husband, to whom she fain would have looked for protection, was gone from home when all her woes fell upon her. At the time General Stevens put his mother and sister on his horse the Indians were not yet eight rods from him; they, with Mrs. Rix, rode off, the others following on foot. Part of the Indians pursued them, while others entered the house and plundered it. They took Mrs. Parkhurst's eldest son from her, and ordered her with the rest of the children to leave the house; and she accordingly went to the fields back of the house with five of her children, and remained in safety. Soon after Stephen started his dog came in his way, and caused him to stumble and fall, which so retarded his progress that he was obliged to flee to the woods were safety, leaving the women and children to make the best of their retreat. The Indians pursued down the road after them, and soon overtook those who were on foot. They took Gardner Rix, son of Deacon Rix, a boy about fourteen years old, just at the heels of his mother's horse, the while she was compelled to witness the painful site. They pursued the women and children as far as the house of Mr. Benedict, where they left them and started for Benedict himself; but he escaped by hiding under a log, although the Indians stood on it in looking for him. About forty rods farther down the river the Indians took a young man named Avery prisoner, and then concluded to return.
"While they were at the house of Tillie Parkhurst, Phineas, the son of Tillie, who had been to alarm the people on the side of the river, just as he entered the stream on his return discovered the Indians at his father's door. Finding himself in danger, he turned to go back, when the Indian saw him and fired at him. This was the first gun they fired after entering the town. The ball entered his back, went through his body, came out under his ribs, and lodged in the skin. Notwithstanding the wound, he continued his retreat to Lebanon, N.H., a distance of 16 miles, with very little stop, supporting the ball between his fingers. (He was a resident physician in Lebanon and 1853.)
"The party of Indians that went down the east side of the river into Sharon took, in that town, one prisoner, a boy named Nathaniel Gilbert. On their return they shot and killed fourteen fat oxen in one yard. Cows, sheep, hogs, and every creature designed by nature to supply the wants of man, that came in their way, fell a prey to those dreadful spoilers.
"The third party, who went up the river, first came to the house of General Stevens, whose family had been warned by Daniel Havens, he saying: 'The Indians are thick as the d-l at our house,' and directly went away. Just as Mrs. Stevens was for leaving the house the Indians came in the door, destroyed everything, not even allowing her any sufficient clothing, but ordering her to 'be gone, or they would burn.' She took her child and went to the woods for safety. Daniel Waller, a boy of fourteen, lived with General Stevens, and he was taken prisoner and carried to Canada. The party decks visited Mr. Durkee's house and took his sons, Aden and Andrew, prisoners. The former died in prison in Canada. Prince Haskell was next taken. "John Kent and a Mr. Chafee were both riding or racing toward Elias Curtis's to have their horses shot. Kent arrived first, and just in time to fall into the hands of the Indians, while Chafee, seeing what was up, got behind a shop, and made for the woods, thus escaping. He then went to Mr. Hendee's and gave the alarm. Mrs. Hendee was directed to take her children and go to the neighbors, while he would alarm the people at Bethel Fort. Mrs. Hendee was overtaken and her son was taken from her. (This determined and exceedingly courageous woman, Mrs. Hendee, afterward visited the Indians in their camps, before they left the vicinity, and succeeded in effecting the release of a number of children, whose names are as follows: Michael Hudson, Roswell Parkhurst, son of Ebenezer Parkhurst, Andrew and Sheldon Durkee, Joseph Rix, Rufus and ------ Fish, Nathaniel Evans, and Daniel Downer.)
"The Indians, having accomplished their nefarious design, returned to the house of Mr. Havens with their prisoners and the plunder of houses which they had devoted to destruction. Here was the place where they had commenced their ravages. The old man, as the four observed, having concealed himself under a log, at the time he espied the Indians in the morning, while hunting for his sheep, still remained in sorrowful silence undiscovered. He had considered it unsafe to move, at the party of the Crow had remained there during the day, and had twice come and stood upon the log under which he lay, without finding him. After collecting near plunder together, and distributing it among them, they burned the house and barn of Mr. Havens, and started for Canada. It was now about two o'clock in the afternoon. They carried off twenty-six prisoners from Royalton, who were all delivered up to the British as prisoners of war. They all obtained their release, and returned in about one year, except Aden Durkee, who died in camp in Montreal.
"Twenty-one dwelling houses and sixteen good new barns, well filled with hay and grain, the hard earnings of industrious young farmers, were laid in ashes by the impious crew. They killed about 150 head of neat cattle, and all the sheep and swine they found. Hogs in their pens and cattle tied in their stalls were burned alive. They destroyed all the household furniture except what was carried away by them. They burned the house of John Hutchinson, and giving his wife a hatchet and a flint, the together with a quarter of mutton, told her to 'go and cook for her men.' They took away about thirty horses, which were of little use to them, but rather served to hinder their progress"
On their return the crossed the hills and Tunbridge, lying west of the first branch, and proceeded to Randolph, where they encamped for the first night near the second branch, a distance of ten miles. Of the events of the pursuits by militia under Colonel John House, an early chapter has sufficiently narrated; and but for the lack of courage on the part of that officer the whole party might have been captured and the prisoners rescued from their hands. It was on their retreat to Canada that the Indians passed the house of Zadoc Steele, and made a prisoner of that person, the author of the narrative from which this sketch is taken.
In view of this terrible disaster that it fell the struggling inhabitants of the newly settled town how else could it be than that the State government should wisely conclude to interfere in their behalf, and arm the grant that has been given to Danforth Keyes, if Eliakim Spooner and their associates, and confirmed and quiet the actual inhabitants in their possession by granting them a charter? And the Legislature did more than that; they condescended to extend the time a payment of the "granting fees" one for a period of five years, and designated by name the person to whom the extension should be made, as follows: Timothy Durkee, Herman Durkee, Aden Durkee, Timothy Durkee, jr., One David Fisk, David Brewster, Zebulon Lyon, Elias Stevens, Robert Hendee, Calvin Parkhurst, James Cooper, Joseph Parkhurst, Joseph Havens, Elsiha Kent, Daniel Rix, Gardner Rix, and Joseph John Rix, Medad Benton, Nathan Morgan, John Billings, Benjamin Day, Israel Waldo, Peleg Parkhurst, Phineas Parkhurst, Ebenezer Parkhurst, Daniel Gilbert, Simon Shepard, Jeremiah Trescott, Nathaniel Morse, widow Sarah Rood, Isaac Morgan, Elias Curtis, Robert Havens, Daniel Havens, John Evans, Martin Fuller, John Hibbard, and Jonathan Benton. The this was done by a result of the Assembly passed February 22, 1781. And subsequently, on the 26th of February, 1782, the Assembly passed an act "relinquishing to the settlers of Royalton certain taxes therein mentioned, on account of 'the ravages of the enemy' in burning the town."
Of the inhabitants of the town who were not carried off by the Indians and number left the vicinity and made their homes temporarily among friends, while not a few were so disheartened at the losses they had suffered that they left the town never to return. To those who remained fell the work of building up again and re-establishing the town, which required years of toil in the hardships. Other families came in and replaced those who were gone, and so rapidly good the population increase that in 1791 Royalton was found to contain the 748 inhabitants; and in 1800 the number had increased to 1,501. From this time on, and until 1840, the growth of the town, both in population and industry, was steady and continuous; and in the last named year the maximum of population was reached, there then being 1,917 persons in the town. And from that year to the present the decrease in decline have been in about the same ratio as was the increase formerly, so that today Royalton has just about the same population as it had in 1800.
The people of the town, as soon as they had become re-organized, and as soon as their habitations and institutions were rebuilt, became known as among the most progressive of the county. They organized their militia companies from among the determined young man of the town, and although it could hardly be expected that the town would contribute either men or means for the operations of the State during the Revolution, it was expected in the town did furnish both for the prosecution of the later war with Great Britain, although the imperfect records prevent giving the names of soldiers or the amount of the contribution ask of the town. And during the war of 1861 - 65 the men of Royalton showed their patriotism and valor, for no town contributed more liberally, in proportion to means in population, and did this. The record of her soldiers is written in the deeds of the regiments to which they respectively belonged, a detail of which will be found in an earlier chapter of this volume; also there will be found the names of the volunteers of the town.
With the earliest settlement, almost, in the town there sprung up a trading center, where was kept a store and a shop, and the post office where the latter was established in the State generally, in this locality, this pretty though quiet little hamlet, has always been known by the name of the village of Royalton. This is the old historic center of the town, although the latter creation, known as South Royalton, has taken away much of the business enterprise and prosperity that naturally belonged to the older town. Here was the trading center of the town 100 years ago, and here it should be today, but circumstances have ordered to the contrary. The business and other institutions of Royalton village of the present time may be briefly summed up in a single store, a hotel, a public school, the Royalton Academy, one or two shops, two churches, and from 25 to 30 dwellings within the village proper.
The Royalton Academy is an institution that once was of considerable importance, having been incorporated by the State Legislature, November 11, 1807, and since its erection, immediately after that date, has been in successful operation until within the last quarter of a century. And it is still conducted as an academic institution, though it's patronage is not now equal to that of former years.
The churches of Royalton village are First Congregational and St. Paul's Episcopal. The first of these has a history that dates back almost to the earliest settlement of the town, in society having been organized and 1777, although not until 1784 was to church edifice erected. This was replaced by a new building in 1790; and in 1834 still a third was erected, being that now in use by the society. Among the earliest ministers of the Congregational Society in the town were Rev. John Searle, the first ordained in 1783; Rev. Azel Washburn, ordained in 1792; Rev. Martin Fuller, is 1794, died in 1813; Rev. Ebenezer Halping, ordained in 1818, dismissed and 1822; and Rev. Joseph Torrey, pastor from 1824 to 1827. The present pastor of the church's Rev. Mr. Ward, and his immediate predecessor was Rev. S.P. Giddings. The present membership of the church is about eighty.
St. Paul's Episcopal church was formed during the year 1835, and permanently organized in 1836, during which splatter year the church was built. It was consecrated November 3, 1837, by Bishop Hopkins. Among its early officiating rectors were Revs. Parker, Sabine, Potter and Sprague. The present rector is the Rev. Moses P. Stickney.
The first bank in Royalton, Vt., Was chartered by the General Assembly of said State and November 30, 1853, under the name of "The Bank of Royalton," with a capital of $100,000, divided into 2000 shares of fifty dollars each. Chester Baxter, William Skinner, Stoddard B. Colby, Solon Danforth, Daniel L. Lyman, William W. White, Russell Hyde, E.B. Chase, and Philander D. Bradford were named in the charter as commissioners to receive subscriptions for the capital stock of the bank, and the stock was subscribed in February, 1854. The bank was organized March 10, 1854, by the election of William skinner, Daniel L. Lyman, Solon Danforth, George Lyman, E.D. Briggs, Perley C. Jones, and Ziba Sprague as his first board of directors. On March 24, 1854, Williams Skinner was elected president, and Newton Kellogg, of Rutland, cashier, and the first bills of the bank were issued June 7, 1854. Newton Kellogg resign the office of cashier October 2, 1854, and Lucius L. Tilden, then cashier the White River Bank of Bethel, Vt., was elected his successor. January 9, 1855, the same board directors was re-elected the, excepting George Lyman, who was succeeded by Chester Baxter. January 8, 1856, the same board was re-elected, except the election of Hiram Moore in place of Chester Baxter. Perley C. Jones resigned the office of director September 23, 1856, and Aaron N. King was appointed by the other directors to succeed him. January 13, 1857, the board was still further changed by the election of Dudley C. Denison in place of E.D. Briggs. L.L. Tilden resigned the office of cashier March 3, 1857, and William H. Baxter of Barton, Vt., was elected in his stead, but Mr. Tilden continued by request of the directors to assist in the bank till April 1st following. During the autumn of 1857 the banks suffered large losses by insolvent debtors, and the last of October it suspended the redemption of it circulating notes in Boston and at its counter. January 12, 1858, Hiram Moore, Daniel L. Lyman, Ziba Sprague, Aaron N. King, Perley C. Jones, Asa W. Kenney, and William H. Baxter were elected directors, and Perley C. Jones was elected president, which office he continues to hold by re-election till January 9, 1866. The new board directors without delay made great efforts to collect money enough on the overdue notes to the bank to enable it to resume business, which had been almost wholly suspended from November 1st. Failing to raise money in this way, they borrowed it on their private note, and the bank was thus enabled to resume business and the redemption of a circulation February 24, 1858. Hiram Moore, one of the directors, died May 29, 1858. January 11, 1859, the directors of the previous year were re-elected, except that Silas H. Clark succeeded William H. Baxter, and George W. Bradstreet took the place of Hiram Moore deceased. Mr. Clark soon after resigned. August 2, 1859, William H. Baxter resigned the office of cashier to take effect on the 9th inst., and Asa W. Kenney was elected cashier, which office he continue to hold till "The National Bank of Royalton," which succeeded this bank, was closed in 1882. November 18, 1859, in consequence of losses sustained by the bank and 1857, its capital was reduced by an act of the Legislature to $50,000. January 10, 1860, the number of directors was reduced by a vote of the stockholders to five, and Perley C. Jones, Aaron N. King, Ziba Sprague, Asa W. Kenney and R.H. Hyde were elected, but Mr. Hyde soon resigned. January 8, 1861, the same board of directors was re-elected, except R.H. Hyde was succeeded by Chester Downer, and this board continued in office by re-election till January 9, 1866. At the last mentioned date Chester Downer, Asa W. Kenney, Dudley C. Denison, Crosby Miller, and Phineas D. Pierce re-elected directors, and continued to be re-elected directors till the close of the National Bank in 1882. Chester Downer was elected president of bank January 30, 1866, and was continued in that office by annual re-election till January 7, 1879, when he was succeeded by Crosby Miller, who was reelected to said office as long as the bank continued. The Comptroller of the Currency claimed that New England had received under the United States law for establishing National Banks more than her proportionate share of circulating notes, and would not grant leave for the conversion of this bank into a national bank, until the directors had executed a paper waving all claim on behalf of the bank for circulating notes, which they did. On the 16th day of September, 1867, the bank was converted on the loss of the United States into "The National Bank of Royalton," No. 1673, and its capital was increased March 7, 1868, $50,000, making its whole capital $100,000. After this the directors learned that by buying the notes in circulation of National Banks which had failed or go into liquidation, and surrendering them to the Comptroller at Washington, they could obtain from him circulating notes to an equal amount for their own bank, and this they did, paying car in three or four percent, premium for the broken bank notes until they had obtained in this way $90,000, being their full quota of circulation. On the night of April 26, 1870, the bank vaults was blown open by burglars, and the walls of the banking house were badly damaged by the explosion, but they did not succeed in breaking the safe in the vault, and they carried off only about $5 of nickels been lying in the vault. In consequence of the damaged condition of the vault and building the bank was removed May 14, 1870, to South Royalton, about two miles distant. During the summer and autumn of 1871 the vault and banking house were repaired, and the bank was moved back to its old quarters October 23, 1871 Phineas D. Pierce was elected vice-president of the bank January 12, 1875, and was annually re-elected till the close of the bank. Lyman A. Peck, a resident of Royalton, on the eighth day of October, 1877, broke into the banking house for the purpose of stealing money from the chore of the counter, while the cashier was at dinner, but the money was safely locked in the vault so that he obtained to none, but was tried and sentenced to the State prison for five years for his luckless exploit. On the night of October 17, 1881 burglars again entered the bank and drilled through the outer brick wall of the vault to the heavy granite wall, and with powder or some other explosive, blew out a few brick and broke the windows, but obtained no money. January 10, 1882, the stockholders voted to close the bank. In less than six months thereafter all liabilities were paid, and the stock at par was paid back to the stockholders. Afterwards they were paid $21,200 on the capital of $100,000, it being twenty-one and one fifth percent, more than par.
South Royalton , the junior of the two villages of the town, yet considerably the larger, was brought into existence by the building of the Vermont Central Railroad; and its stores and other buildings, except dwellings, were of the character usually found in localities having a mushroom growth; that is, of frame and not substantial or enduring; neither were they attractive, especially after exposure to the storms of a few years. But, young though the village may have been, it has had its own fire record, and the old unsightly structures "passed away." In their stead there has been built a substantial two- story brick row; plain, yet convenient buildings, and a credit to the town. The front on the park, has also does the large and attractive hotel, the property of Charles H. Woodward; but the hotel and the stores on the opposite sides of the park, and on the other side, the park being in form a parallelogram, is the depot, and opposite to what some fine dwellings and one of the village churches.
The churches of south Royalton village are two and number, a Congregational and a Methodist. The Methodist Society has been in existence many years in the town, although which church home at the South village is comparatively new. Formerly the society had a chapel at Royalton village. The South Royalton Congregational Church Society was formed in 1868, and an offshoot, practically, from the mother church that the older village. The church edifice on the park was built in 1868.
Town Representatives in General Assembly -- 1778, October, Joseph Parkhurst; 1779, none; 1780, Calvin Parkhurst; 1781, Comfort Seaver; 1782, Calvin Parkhurst; 1783, Elias Stevens; 1784, Silas Williams; 1785, Elias Stevens; 1786, Calvin Parkhurst; 1787, Elias Stevens; 1788-89, Calvin Parkhurst; 1790, Daniel Fuller; 1791 -95, Elias Stevens; 1796, Abel Stevens; 1797, Silas Allen; 1798, Jacob Smith; 1799, Elias Stevens; 1800, Jacob Smith; 1801, Abel Stevens; 1802 - 03, Elias Stevens-; 1804-05, Nathan Page; 1806, Elias Stevens; 1807-12, Jacob Smith; 1813-14, Rodolphus Dewey; 1815 Daniel Rix, jr.; 1816, Elias Stevens; 1817, Daniel Rix, jr.; 1818, Rodolphus Dewey; 1819, Moses Cutter; 1820, R. Dewey; 1821-22, Jacob Collamer; the 1823-24, R. Dewey; 1825, Oel Billings; 1826, Nathan Kimball; 1827, Jacob Collamer; 1828-29, Harry Bingham; 1830, Jacob Collamer; 1831, William Woodworth; 1832, Calvin Parkhurst; 1833, Nathaniel Sprague; 1834, Samuel Selden; 1835-37, Oramel Sawyer; 1838-39, David Wheelock; 1840-41, Truman H. Safford; 1842-43, John L. Bowman; 1944, Henry Bingham; 1845, J.L. Bowman; 1846-47, Romanzo Walker; 1848, James Davis; 1849, Daniel Woodward; 1850-51, John Coy; 1852, Azro D. Hutchins; 1853, Rufus Kendrick; 1854-55, Daniel L. Lyman; 1856-57, Ebenezer Atwood; 1858-59 , Minot Wheeler; 1860-62, Dudley C. Denison; 1863-64, John S. Marcy; 1865-66, Martin T. Skinner; 1867, Henry H. Denison; 1868-69, William Goff; 1870-71, Cyrus B. Drake; 1872-73, Edward Foster; 1874-75, Ebenezer Winslow; 1876-77, Martin T. Skinner; 1878-79, Martin S. Adams; 1880-81, Charles West; 1882-83 --------------; 1884-85, George Ellis; 1886-87,J.F. Shepard; 1888-89, William Skinner.
It would be impossible within the compass of this work to give a genealogical sketch of each family that has been connected with the town. The remainder of this chapter is devoted to those who feel and have manifested an interest in preserving the records of their ancestors. For sketches received too late for insertion in this chapter please refer to a later chapter of this work.
Bennett, Job, son of Elisha and Lucretia (Hinckley) Bennett, was born in Chelsea, Vt., May 15, 1798. He became a resident of Royalton in the spring of 1830. He married Jane Greene and had seven children: Warren F., living in Springfield, Mass.; Jeannette (deceased), married, first, Thomas R. Gibson, second, Lewis Barnes; Alma H., A resident of Royalton; Josiah G.; Helen Elizabeth, a resident of Royalton; Charles W., lives at Palmer, Mass.; and Frances J., Wife of Norman W. Sewall, of Royalton. Job died June 13, 1876. Josiah Greene, son of Job, was born in Royalton, married Elmina C. Sewall. They have one child, Carrie F., wife of Solon A. Buck, who has one child, Glenn Murray. Mr. Bennett is a farmer, and has always lived in Royalton.
Bingham - The family of this name in Royalton are descended from Thomas, son of Thomas and Mary Bingham. He was born in Sheffield, Yorkshire, England, about 1642 and came to America and married Mary, daughter of Jonathan Rudd, December 12, 1666. He was one of the thirty-five proprietors of the town of Norwich, Conn., When it was purchased from the Mohegan Indians. He died in Windham, Conn., January 16, 1729. He had a family of eleven children. Joseph, the next to the youngest, was born in 1688 and married, first, Abigail Scott, of Hartford, Mass., in 1711, by whom he had three children. He married, second, Mrs. Rachel Huntingdon. He died and Windham, Conn., September 4, 1765. Of Joseph's three children Gideon, the eldest, married Mary, daughter of Captain Eleazer Cary. He settled in Plainfield, Conn. By his first marriage he had thirteen children. His wife died in 1758 and he married second, Abigail Baker, by whom he had five children. Thomas, the fifth child, was born July 14, 7042, and married in 1766 Marcia House, of Lebanon, N.H. He emigrated from Connecticut to the latter town and afterwards to Royalton. He served during the whole period of the Revolutionary war as lieutenant. He was at the battles of Brandywine, Princeton, Monmouth, and wintered at Valley Forge in 1780. Thomas had twelve children and died at Royalton, September 23,1823; his wife died September 10, 1812. William, the seventh child of the twelve children, mentioned above, was born April 18, 1779, and married, first, May 28, 1801, Olive Havens. He lived in Royalton and was a captain in the War of 1812, and was a man of an energy and decision of character. He had three children find this marriage, viz.: Daniel Havens; Mary Ann, married Carl Parkhurst; William Reddington, died unmarried. His wife died August 29, 1819, and he married November 20, 1820, Parmelia Ames, by whom he had three children, viz.: Henry, died young; George, and Olive, died aged fifteen years. William died August 29, 1857, Harry, the tenth child of Thomas and Marcia (House) Bingham was born August 6, 1786, and married January 27, 1850, Marcia Dodge. He lived in Royalton and was engaged in public business and was a member of the Legislature for several years. He had five children, viz.: Lucy Ann, Alma Jane, Harry A., William, and George. He died February 23, 1862.
Button, John A., was born in Royalton, July 28, 1844, and is the only child of Asaph and Roxanna (Wight) Button. His father was born December 2, 1810; his mother July 27, 1803. He married, first, Martha M., Daughter of Landus and Wealtha (Brown) Spear. She was born November 10, 1845. Her father was born October 8, 1811; her mother October 10, 1812. They have one child, Albert, born July 16, 1871.John married, second, Alma J., daughter of Harry and Marcia (Dodge) Bingham. She was born December 15, 1852. Her father was born August 6, 1786; her mother March 26 1824. Mr. Button, excepting two years, when he resided in Tunbridge, has always lived on the place of his birth, which he now owns and occupies.
Cleveland, Squire, was born in Canterbury, Conn., July 17, 1754, and married, November 16, 1788, Parmelia Green. He came to Royalton and 1788, and settled on the farm now occupied by Seth Moxley. He had nine children: Bradford, died in Royalton; John, died at Braintree, Vt.; Anna, died single; Polly (deceased), married Samuel Babcock; Olive (deceased), married Sandford Hannas; Bethahsa; Parmelia (deceased), married Lucian Lanthrop; Zurviah (deceased), married Polydore Williams; and Nahum, died in Vermont. Squire Cleveland died June 14, 1834.Bethahsa, son of Squire, born in Royalton, May 31, 1799, married Philena Luce. They had twelve children: Ronaldo, died in Tunbridge; Enoch, resides in Wolcott, Vt.; George, died in Royalton; Bradford, died in Mansfield, Vt.; Anna, wife of Seth Moxley; M oneiranda (deceased), married Cooley Anderson; Orlantha, wife of Marshall Cutler, of Red Wing, Minn.; Hiram, died in Royalton; Henry, died at Hyde Park, Vt.; Rosepha, wife of Sylvester Palmer, of Morristown, Vt.; Nelson, resident of Winchendon, Mass.; and Parmelia, died single. Bethahsa Cleveland died June 7, 1861.
Dana, Israel Putnam, MD, of Royalton, born in Pomfret, February 10, 1855. His father, John Winchester Dana, was thrice married. His first wife was Jerusha Goodspeed. The following were their children: John Winchester, Isaac, Jerusha, Hannah, and Sarah. He married, second, Eleanor Porter Lyon, by whom he had one child, Eleanor P. He married, third, Mary Emeline Wood. The children by this union we're Mary Emily, Israel Putnam, Martha Jackman, and Edward Youngs. John Winchester Dana died in Pomfret, August 12, 1862. Dr. Israel P. Dana, after the common school, attended the Kimball Union Academy, at Meriden, N.H., Studied medicine with Dr. C.P. Frost, of Hanover, N.H., And was graduated from the Medical Department of Dartmouth College, November 12 to 1883. He was employed one year in the Asylum for the Insane at Somerville, Mass., He came to South Royalton, September 20, 1884, where he has since practiced his profession. He married, November 23, 1888, Mary Alice Hillery. Helen Emeline is their only child.
Denison, Hon. Dudley C., of Royalton, the youngest son of Dr. Joseph A. Denison, was born at Royalton, September 13, 1819. After attending the district schools he became an attendant of the Royalton Academy. He entered the University of Vermont in 1836, and was graduated from the institution in 1840. He studied law with John S. Marcy, of Royalton, and was admitted to the Windsor County Bar, May term, 1845. He commenced, the same year, the practice of his profession in his native town, where he still continues. He was a member of the State Senate in 1853-54, State's Attorney in 1858-60, member of the House of Representatives and 1861, 1862, and 1863, United States District Attorney for a number of years, member of the 44th and 45th Congresses. He married Eunice Dunbar, and they have a family of five children, viz.: Joseph D., an attorney, at West Randolph, Vt.; Catharine Amanda (deceased), married Charles H. Woodward; John H., an attorney at Denver, Col.; Gertrude M.; and Lucy D.
Durkee, Seymour, was born in Brookfield, Vt., November 6, 1815, the youngest son of Vine and Sarah (Doane) Durkee. His early life was spent on his father's farm. At the age of nineteen he learned the harness trade. He moved to Royalton Center in July, 1844, and for a short time was employed in driving the stage two Montpelier. He then engaged at his trade, and removed to South Royalton, March 23, 1868, where he still continues in the business. During the war he was engaged on government work in Springfield, Mass. Mr. Durkee was never married.
Fish, Edgar J., MD, of Royalton, was born in Washington, Vt., February 7, 1851, the only child of John P. and Ann (Dutur) Fish. After attending the local schools he attended the Chelsea Academy, and afterwards studied medicine with Dr. Story N. Goss, of Chelsea. In the fall of 1872 and winter of 1873 he took the course of lectures in the Medical Department of Dartmouth College, and was graduated from the Medical Department of the University of Vermont and 1874. He commenced the practice of his profession and Tunbridge, Vt., where he remained till May, 1877, when he removed to South Royalton. Dr. Fish is a member of the Vermont State and White River Valley Medical Societies, and was president of the latter in 1887. He married Eliza A. Lyman, of Washington, Vt., and has two children, J. Euclid and Harold.
Fowler - The families in Royalton and Bethel burying this name were descended from William Fowler the "Magistrate." He arrived in Boston from London, England, June 26, 1637 if. In company with others he sailed from Boston, March 30, 1638, for Quinnipiac, the Indian name for New Haven. In the spring of the following year he became one of the first settlers of Milford, Conn., being the first named of its trustees, and at the first meeting of the Milford Company was chosen one of the judges. He is the first mentioned in the deed of the town which was executed there were 12.1769. In the organization of the church he was elected one of the "seven pillars." He was elected magistrate and re-appointed yearly to 1654, and died in 1660. Of his family Captain William Fowler married Mary, daughter of Edward and Ann Tapp. Of his family of four children Jonathan, the youngest, was born May 20, 1696, and married Hannah Clark, and became a resident of Coventry, Conn., In 1719, where he died. His eldest son, Rev. Joseph Fowler, born at Lebanon, Conn., In 1772, was graduated from Yale College, and was a Congregational minister at East Haddam, Conn., for twenty-one years, if where he died June 10, 1771. He married Sarah, daughter of Rev. Joseph Metcalf, of Lebanon, Conn. Of their family of eight children the Elisha Adams, the fifth child, was born at East Haddam, Conn., September 29, 1755, and married June 7, 1981, Mary Burr. He removed to East Bethel, Vt., at an early day, where he died February 20, 1840. He had a family of nine children, viz.: William, died young; Mary, married John F. Pierson; Elizabeth, died at the age of 20; Electa, died at 60; Lucinda, died young; Joseph; Elisha; Lucinda, married Lemuel Woodworth; and Sarah, died aged five. Joseph, the son of Elisha Adams Fowler, born December 27, 1793, married August 29, 1817, Cynthia Gifford. Their children were Norman, Alonzo, Edwin, George A., and Joseph Lewis. Joseph Fowler died August, 1849. Alonzo the third above, was born July, 1828, in Hartford, Vt., and died in Royalton, February 17, 1877. He married Maria C. Ainsworth. Their children were Eva M., Died in 1877, age 24 years and seven months; William F., Died in 1877, age 19 years and six months; Bertie Alonzo, died in 1874, age 14 years and six months; and Anna M., died in 1877, age 10 years and two months.
Gage, Harry, born in Enfield, N.H., May 15, 1805, married, first, Mary Goss, by whom he had two children, Lucy and Mary, both of whom died young. He married, second, Susan Alden Fuller. The issue of this marriage was Henry Fuller Gage. Harry settled on the farm now occupied by his son in 1835.
Gage, Henry Fuller, was born in Royalton, June 4, 1845, and married August 20, 1867, Esther M., daughter of Nelson W. and Jane W. (Greene) Hunt. She was born in Royalton, August 15, 1848. They have five children: George, Henry, born June 20 1868; and infant died unnamed; Benjamin F., Born May 2, 1871; Nelson, born November 23, 1873, died September 16, 1877, aged four years; and Bessie M., Born July 23, 1883, died June 11, 1890, aged six years.
Greene - The Greene family of Royalton are descended from William Greene, born in Devonshire, England, October 16, 1591, settled in Charlestown, Mass., and died in Woburn, Mass., January 7, 1654. He married Hannah Carter, who was born in Devonshire, March 20 1596, and died in Woburn, September 20, 1657. They had a son William, born in Woburn, who married Hannah, daughter of Francis and Mary (Todd) Kendall. She was born in Woburn, January 26 1655, and died December 20, 1719. Jacob, their son, was born in Woburn, October 14, 1691, and died in Hanover, N.H., December 16, 1790. He married Elizabeth Crouch, who was born in Shrewsbury, Mass., October 27, 1695, and died December 24, 1755. Their son David, born in Shrewsbury, March 2, 1725, died at Stafford, Conn., About April 1, 1780. He married Ruth Rogers of Brimfield, Mass., January 30, 1752. By this marriage was born Josiah, in Stafford, Conn., August 26, 1763. He married September 18, 1787, his cousin Susa, daughter of Samuel and Jane (White) Green. She was born in Stafford, February 5, 1766, and died in Brooklyn, N.Y., October 19, 1841. Josiah died at Auburn, N.Y., Timber 13th 1809. Rannay, of East Randolph, Vt., son of the above, was born in Newport, N.H., April 27, 1788, and married March 7, 1810, Pamela Kelsey, born in Tunbridge, Vt., May 6, 1789. She died at East Randolph, Vt., August 13, 1859. Rannay died January 15 to 1873. One of the issues of this marriage was Josiah R., born in Tunbridge, December 21, 1810, and married October 31, 1843, Sarah H. Hanks. She was born September 5, 1817. They have three children, Sarah Hortensia, born January 7, 1845, resides at Royalton; Josiah Fayette, born in Royalton, June 21, 1848, and married October 16, 1884, Ellen Idella, daughter of Oel and Sabrina (Strong) Perrin. Their child, William Lester, born July 6, 1885, died January 24, 1886. Josiah R. died September 29, 1881; his wife November 4, 1881. George Lee, born October 31, 1850, died October 23, 1857.
Kendall, Sumner B., eldest son of Samuel and Hannah (Harvey) Kendall, was born in Marlboro, N.H., May 20, 1815. His father moved to Canada in the spring of 1816, remaining till 1828, when he removed to Montpelier, Vt. Sumner B. continued to reside in the latter place till 1851, when he removed to Royalton. Since 1847 he has been engaged in the railroad business, and was in the employ of the Vermont Central for 30 years. His first wife was Louisa Meade. Of their four children two were living: Annette, wife of George Quimby, lives in Iowa, and Luke, a resident of Chicago, Ill. Mr. Kendall married for his second wife Elizabeth Durkee. This toured wife was Sarah Marsh.
Lovejoy, Daniel, a native of Connecticut, settled at an early day in Sharon. He married Lorenza Havens, daughter of Robert Havens, who was one of the first settlers of Sharon. Their children were: Huldah (deceased), married Jonathan Morgan; of Middletown, Vt.; Betsey, married Jonathan Morgan; Thomas, died in Royalton; Charlotte (deceased), married Stephen Clark, of Lawrenceville, N.Y., Joseph, died in the state of New York; Pamela (deceased), married Collins Leach, of Grand Rapids, Mich.; Hannah (deceased), married Ira Curtiss, of Sharon.
Lovejoy, Thomas, son of Daniel, was born in Sharon, married in 1818 Susan Spalding, and had seven children: William L., a farmer, living in Mitchell, Ia.; Jacob C., farmer, resides in Michigan; Charles D., Living in Royalton; Henry Thomas and George B., Living in Mitchell county, Ia.; Eliza (deceased), married John D. Fales; and Daniel W., a physician, died in Royalton, July 18, 1880.
Lovejoy, Charles D., son of Thomas, was born in Sharon, December 30, 1824, and married Laura J., Daughter of Jacob and Dorothy (McIntire) Wood. Mrs. Lovejoy was born in Pomfret, July 20, 1836. They have three children, Ada L., Widow of John M. Miller; Thomas E.; and Mark H. Mr. Lovejoy owns and carries on the homestead farm in Royalton, and has filled the various town offices.
McCollough, James, was born in Shipton, now Richmond, province of Quebec, Canada, February 27, 1813. He removed to Malone, N.Y., in 1837, and became a resident of Royalton in 1850. He married Elizabeth Maria Clapp, backspace. They have four children, Frederick, a resident of Wendover, Wyoming Territory; Samuel, resides in Royalton; Clara, wife of Henry Cole, of Hardwick, Vt.; Caroline, wife of Fred Fay, of Everett, Mass. Samuel Clapp, grandfather of Mrs. Mccullough, was born in Dorchester, Mass., and had a family of four children, viz: Stacey, who died during the War of 1812 at Plattsburgh N,.Y.; Samuel, died in Bethel single; Thomas, died married. Thomas, son of Samuel, born in Royalton, October 10, 1785, died October 16, 1854, married Betsey Young. Their children were Abiline (deceased), married Franklin Corbin; Paulena (deceased), married Chester Griswold; Caroline (deceased), married Thomas J. Fiske; Carlton, resides in Barre, Vt.; Elizabeth M., wife of James Mccullough; Mary, widow of Harper Johonnot, lives in Syracuse, N.Y.; Jennet (deceased), married Roswell D. Lillie; and Clarissa, resides in Royalton, with James Mccullough, who lives in the same house built by Samuel Clapp, grandfather of Maria Mccullough, 102 years age, and held in the Clapp family since built.
Madgett, John, an early settler of Tunbridge, Vt., Was a hotel keeper in that town. He married Mary Chambers, and had two children, Ira, and Achsa, who married Ira Riddle and died in Tunbridge. Ira married Abigail Knight, of Newburyport, N.H. He had six children: Sarah, Mary, Hannah, John, Abigail, Ira. John, of the above family, was born in Tunbridge, February 9, 1829, where he resided until 20 years of age. He then learn the machinist trade in Manchester, N.H., Which he followed for 20 years in Massachusetts, Pennsylvania, California and Vermont. Mr. Madgett listed as a private in Company E, First Vermont Cavalry, and received his discharge in April, 1862, and in August, 1863, re-enlisted in Company G, Fourth Vermont Infantry, and received a final discharge January, 1865. He was wounded at Spottsylvania Courthouse, on which account here receives a pension. In 1877 he patented the "Madgett Hay Tedder," which was re-patented in 1883. This machine has taken more than 100 first premiums, and is sold in the States, Territories, and foreign countries. He has been a resident of South Royalton since 1866, removing from Tunbridge, and devotes his time to the sale of the Hay Tedder. He married, first, Lavine Jane McColley, of New Boston, N.H. They have two children, George A., The telegraph operator in New York City; and Nellie (deceased). He married, second, Mary L. Clifford.
Moxley, Seth, resided in Tunbridge, where he died. He married Marcia Russ, and had a family of five children, none of whom are living. His son Joseph was born in Tunbridge, August 14, 1789, and died in January, 1856. He married Sophia Waldo. Seth, son of Joseph, was born in Tunbridge, October 12, 1828, and married Anna Cleveland. They had 10 children: Sarah A., married James Gould, April 19, 1882; Frank H., married N. Hunt, November 19, 1879; Fred G.; Kate A.; M. Lee; Lena L., married H.E. Russ, January 13, 1884; Lettie M., Married George Day, September 4, 1890; Charles S.; L. Winifred; and Susie M. Mr. Moxley is a farmer, and has been a resident of Royalton since 1843.
Parker, Charles N., Was born in Wilmington, Mass., May 12, 1842, the only child of Newman and Alice (Sloan) Parker. His father moved with his family to Royalton in 1850. He was a shoemaker by trade, was very soon after his coming to Royalton he became a merchant, in which business he remained until his death, which occurred October 8, 1883. His wife died June 23, 1886. They were buried in the North Royalton Cemetery. Mr. Parker attended the Academy School at Royalton. He was employed on the railroad about 40 years, and at the age of 24 he went into company with his father in the mercantile business of Royalton, which was continued till the death of his father. He then carried on the business till the time of his death, which occurred August 21, 1887. He was postmaster at Royalton seven years. He married Laura, daughter of John and Philena (Freeman) Williams, who was born in Royalton, August 3, 1842.
Parkhurst, Benjamin, came from Plainfield, Conn., to Sharon, one of its early settlers. After residence there of five years, on what is now known as the Dana farm, he removed to Royalton one, settling of farm at the mouth of the second branch of the White River. He was the third settler of the town, and was there at the time of the Indian raid. His daughter, Rachel, was the first white female child born in Royalton. He practiced medicine and was the first schoolteacher in the town. He married Sarah Shepard, and of their 12 children, one died in infancy. The others were Rachel, married Sylvester Day; Amy, married Howe Wheeler, and died over 90 years of age; Betsey, married Abel Stevens; Mary, married Otis Wilson; Sarah, married William Smith; Eunice, married General Lovell Hibbard; Simon, Phineas, Stephen, Coit and Levi. Benjamin died aged 96. Coit Parkhurst, above, was born in Royalton, February 28, 1800, and died in Hinckley, Ill., July 5, 1884. He married Mary Ann, daughter of William Bingham, of Royalton, who died at Hinckley, March 25, 1890. They had six children: Olive, died 16 years of age; Helen, died aged 24; Benjamin Franklin, born in Royalton, June 28, 1826, married Frances J. Graves, and they have one child, Helen M., and reside in Worchester, Mass.; Agnes, died 33 years of age; William Frederick, died in infancy; and Frederica, wife of A.F. Prince, of Hinckley, Ill.
Perrin, Asa, was born in Woodstock, Conn. He was a Revolutionary soldier, and was at the surrender of Burgoyne at Saratoga, and his sword is now in possession of his great-grandson, Horace H. Perrin, of Randolph, Vt. His wife was Olive Bellows, of Canterbury, Conn. three of his sons, Asa, Nathaniel, and Greenfield, came to Royalton as early as 1786. The latter was born in Woodstock, Conn., March 11, 1763, and married in 1791 Sally, daughter of William and Tammesin (Cady) Ashcroft. She was born in Connecticut, December 3, 1775, and died in Northfield, Vgt., While on a visit to her sister, June 18, 1842. Greenfield purchased the farm now in possession of his son, Ira, of Daniel Fuller, the deed been dated June 26, 1786. He died June 2, 1854. They had 12 children, viz.: William, born February 11, 1793, married Nancy Morrill, of Randolph, Vt., and died in Wisconsin; Serepta, born April 16, 1797, died January 1, 1878; Daniel, born February 16, 1799, died January 19, 1855; Fannella, born April 11, 1801, married Alfred Converse, died at Moretown, Vt.; John, born March 8, 1803, married Elsie Herrick, of Northfield, Vt., and lives in Lebanon, N.H.; Oel, born May 30, 1805, married Sabrina Strong, of Randolph, Vt., and lives in Brookfield, Vt.; Eliza, born June 16, 1807, died October 21, 1826; Lucretia, born March 7, 1810, wife of James Murch, of Lebanon, N.H.; Alzina, born May 6, 1812, married Chester Green, died April 29, 1890; Asa, born March 20, 1816, married, first, Hannah Simonds, of Roxbury, Vt., and second, Mary Strong, of Randolph, Vt., and died November 30, 1888; Ira, born in Royalton, June 27, 1818, and married, first, December 21, 1841, Clarissa, daughter of Calvin and Betsey (Hincher) Ellis. Their only child, Lilla, is not living. Mrs. Perrin died in 1863, and he married, second, June 10, 1869, Mrs. Weltha A. Holden, nee Simonds.
Rix, Daniel, born in Preston, Conn., In 1738, became a resident of Royalton in 1778, and married Rebecca Johnson. Their children were Gardner, Joseph, Daniel, Elisha, Susannah, Rebecca and Jerusha. Daniel died at Royalton in 1823. Elisha, son of Daniel, born in Preston, Conn., in 1778, married Betsey Flinn. They had eight children, viz.: Almira, Emily, George, Charles, William, Lucy, Susan and Edward. Elisha died in 1853. William, son of Elisha, born in Royalton, June 10, 1810, married Catharine F. Kendall. They have two daughters, Catharine Kendall, wife of William Skinner, of Royalton; Elizabeth, wife of Joseph D. Dennison, at West Randolph, Vt. William Rix is a graduate of the University of Vermont, and from 1834 to 1865 was engaged in mercantile business in the South, since which time he has been a resident of Royalton.
Russ, Jeremiah, one in the early settlers of Royalton, was a native of Connecticut. He married Eunice Moxley and had three children, viz.: Thomas, Eunice died young, and Harmina died single.
RusS, Thomas, son of Jeremiah, was born in Royalton, March 31, 1789, and married January 1, 1811, Judith Morrill, who was born August 16, 1789. They had six children: Niel, resides in East Bethel, Vt.; Nathaniel, died in Haverhill, Mass.; Jeremiah, died young; Eunice, died young; Jeremiah, and Ira M., Resides in Royalton. Time is died in April, 1869.
Ross, Jeremiah, son of Thomas, born in Royalton, September 28, 1824, married May 29, 1845, Mary C. Kenworthy. They had two children: Thomas Jeremiah, born in Royalton, June 20, 1848, married Susan Perrin, who resides in Brookfield, Vt.; And Martha Eunice (deceased). Mr. Russ resides on the farm settled by his grandfather.
Sewall, Philip G., the son of John, was born at Wilmot, N.H., September 21, 1818. He has been a resident of Royalton since 1835. He married Eunice M. Howe, and has three children, viz.: Elmina C., wife of Josiah G. Bennett, of Royalton; Ellen A., widow of Samuel Heaton, resides in Keene, N.H.; and Norman W., born in Royalton, September 5, 1847, married Frances J. Bennett. They have one child, Blanche C. Norman W. is engaged in farming.
Stickney, Rev. Moses Parsons, was born in Rowley, Mass., July 12 to 1807. He spent two years in Demmer Academy in that town, afterwards went to Farmingham Academy, and entered Harvard College in 1825 and remained two years, but was obliged to relinquish his studies on account of ill health. He afterwards was graduated from Amherst College in 1830. The next two years he engaged in school teaching. He then became a student at the Bangor Theological Seminary, where he remained two years, when he entered the Theological Department of Yale College, from which he was graduated in 1835. He was ordained at Eastport, Me., 1836, and settled over the Congregational church in that place. And 1841 he became an Episcopalian, and was ordained by Bishop Griswold at St. Ann's Church, at Lowell, Mass. His first parish was St. Michael's church, Marblehead, Mass., In 1842, where he remained five years. His next charge was St. Peter's church, Cambridgeport, Mass., Murray also remained five years. From 1851 to 1852 he was rector of Burlington College, Burlington, N.J. From the spring of 1853 to the summer of 1871 he was assistant rector of the Church of the Advent at Boston. At the latter, he removed two Vermont, until 1888 was the rector of Christ's church at Bethel, Vt., and St. Paul's Episcopal church at Royalton, Vt. He married Jane Frances Curry, of St. Andrews, N. B., By whom he had five children, viz.: Elizabeth (deceased), married Nathaniel Whittier; William Brunswick Curry, an attorney at Bethel; Agnes, died in 15 years of age; Henry Storer, died five years of age; Cornelia Loring resides at Boston.
Waldo, Zachariah, born in Pomfret, Conn., December 25, 1765, married Abigail Corbin, of Dudley, Mass. Their children were Sarah, died single; Ralph; William resides in Stoughton, Mass.; Mahala (deceased), married a Mr. Reynolds; Louisa, widow of Isaac Upham, livers at North Grovensdale, Conn.; Sullivan died in Royalton; John died in the West; and Joseph Warren resides in Royalton. Sakurai was killed by falling from the roof of his house, August 3, 1818. Ralph, his son, born in Royalton, September 11, 1797, married, March 31, 1828, Parmelia Wheat, who was born in Pittsfield, Vt., March 11, 1809. Their children were William Leavins; Emma Louisa, wife of George Curtis, of Stoughton, Mass,; Charles Francis; Marie Antoinette (deceased), married Chester D. Clark; Joseph Warren; Mary Elizabeth, widow of Nicholas Vesper, resides in Royalton; Benjamin Franklin lives in Santa Cruz county, Cal; George Washington resides in Allegan, Mich.; Henry R. Lives in California; Willis Wales died aged 13; Flora Adelia, wife of the Rev. Alphonso Dunbar, Second Advent preacher, located in Ohio; and Jennie Adell, widow of Frank Bailey, resides in Royalton. Ralph died January, 1869. Charles Francis, son of Ralph, born in Royalton, October 11, 1833, married March 22, 1860, Fannie, daughter of Mark and Sarah L. (Harris) Brown. Their children are Nellie, died in infancy; Edward C., Assistant cashier of the Trader's Bank, of Kirwin, Kan.; and Willis C. married Fannie M. Bigelow, of Barnard, and that present resides there.
Waller, (Deacon) Israel, was the first settler this family in Windsor County and located at Royalton. He was a native of Connecticut. He married Anna Buffington, and among his children were David; Calvin, a lawyer who resided in New York City, where he died; Silas, a doctor who lived and died in New York City; and Sarah. Deacon Waller was related to General Israel Putnam.
Waller, David, son of Israel, was born in Royalton, and was captured during the Indian raid on that town and 1780, was taken to Montreal and was two years away from his home. Among his children were Daniel, Sarah, Anna and Israel.
Waller, Daniel, of the above family, was born in Royalton and 1794, and married Mary Russell of Cambridge, Mass. Their children were Emily, wife of James Gilson of Brookfield, Ill.; Julia, wife of Harvey Ellis, of Springfield, Mass.; Patten died in Bethel, aged 20 years; and David F. Daniel died November, 1878.
Waller, David F., was born in Royalton, February 25, 1824, and married Mary D., Daughter of Daniel S. and Lydia B. (Lewis) Hallett, a native of Hyannis, Mass. They had two children, Mary E. and Daniel B. David F. was for a number of years conductor on the Boston and Worcester Railroad and died in Worcester, Mass., July 23, 1867. Daniel B. died July 29, 1867.
Back to Vermont Trails History and Genealogy