Genealogy Trails logo

Augusta County


Source: "History of Augusta County, Virginia"

Submitted by: Barb Ziegenmeyer

Thomas Lewis, the eldest son of the Founder, was born in Donegal, Ireland, April 27th, 1718, and died in Augusta, January 31st, 1790. He was a man of strong and cultivated mind, of spirit and enterprise, and during the colonial period and the Revolutionary war rendered important services to the country. In 1746, he was appointed colonial surveyor of Augusta, and much of Washington's great wealth was acquired by surveys of land under his authority and in common with him. He and Col. John Wilson represented the county in the House of Burgesses almost uninterruptedly from 1745 to 1767, and they voted, in 1765, for Patrick Henry's celebrated resolutions declaring that this " general assembly have the only exclusive right and power to lay taxes and impositions upon the inhabitants of this colony; that any efforts in an opposite direction are illegal, unconstitutional and unjust, and have a manifest tendency to destroy British as well as American freedom." In 1775, he was unanimously elected delegate to the Colonial Congress, and was one of the first to enroll his name among the " Sons of Liberty." He was commissioner of the old confederacy of the thirteen colonies, in 1778, to treat with the Indian tribes who had been defeated at the battle of Point Pleasant, and successfully concluded his negotiations, thus setting free from the defense of the western border thousands of our best troops who hastened to join the standard of Washington and fight for the independence of their country. He was a member of the convention which ratified the Constitution of the United States, and by a vote so nearly divided that the patriot yet rejoices at his country's escape from the anarchy which would have been the consequence of a different result He urged with eloquence and ability the adoption of the Constitution and voted for its ratification. After the Revolution. Washington made him a visit at Lewiston, in Rockingham, and there arranged their land claims. Gov. Gilmer says in his Sketches of Upper Georgia, p. 548: 'My father, then a youth of nineteen, returning from my Grandfather Lewis', where he had been visiting my mother, met Washington fording the Shenandoah river in the dusk of the evening.

Washington asked him how he should go to Mr. Lewis'. My father, taking him for some big Dutchman of the neighborhood, who was poking fun at him on account of his frequent visits to the Lewis family, answered, " follow your nose."

It is a noticeable fact in a country of such rapid changes as ours that his descendants still own and reside upon his estate of Lewiston, near Port Republic, in the present county of Rockingham. His great grandson, Hon. John F. Lewis, is the present Lieut-Governor of Virginia; another great grandson, Hon. L. L. Lewis, is Judge of the Supreme Court of Appeals of Virginia, and a great-great-grandson, D. S. Lewis, United States Attorney for the Western District of Virginia. Gen. Samuel H. Lewis, a grandson, in a letter of date April 6th, 1855, addressed to Hon. Samuel Price, of Lewisburg, W. Va., thus speaks of him: " The defective sight of Thomas Lewis prevented him from joining his gallant brothers in the field. With the aid of glasses, which he always used, he was hardly able to tell an Indian from a white man at the distance of twenty paces." The letter alluded to above says further: " I have heard that he was six feet in height, robust but not inclined to corpulency; his eyes and hair were dark; his complexion fair. I have heard him spoken of as a handsome, fine looking man. The caste of his profile I cannot describe, but I do not think it was Roman or aquiline, as I have heard it said that my elder brother, Thomas, resembled him m features. He was exceedingly near-sighted, and was under the necessity of using glasses habitually. There is no family portrait extant of him that I know o£ He was of a grave and serious temper; strict, perhaps rigid, in his notions of moral and religious duty. Though a supporter of and a regular attendant upon the services of the Established Church, he was not a communicant He was possessed of a liberal education, and was probably one of the best mathematicians of his day in the State. He had a literary taste, and when not engaged in business or occupied with company, was generally to be found in his library. His collection of books was very extensive and valuable, embracing many of the most important works then extant in history, biography, moral philosophy, political economy, national law, theology and poetry. In his theological department were Tillotson, Barrow, South,' the Boyle Lecturer, and other standard works of the English church. He was born in Donegal county, Ireland, on the 27th of April, 1718, and died at his residence, in Rockingham county, on the Shenan-doah river, three miles from Port Republic, on the 31st day of January, 1790. In his will he fixed the place on his own estate where he wished to be buried, and desired that the burial service might be read from the Book of Common Prayer by his friend, Peachy Gilmer. He died of a cancer in the face. He was, as I have always understood, the eldest son of John Lewis. He married on the 26th of January, 1749, Jane, the daughter of William Strother, Esq., of Stafford county, whose estate, opposite to Fredericksburg, joined the residence of the father of Gen. Washington, with whom (G. W.) she was a school-mate, and nearly of the same age. She died in September, 1820. Thomas and Jane Lewis brought up a family of thirteen children.

The following sketch of this distinguished soldier is from the pen of Fred'k Johnston, of Salem:

"Those who have seen the equestrian statue of George Washington near the Capitol of Virginia in Richmond, must have observed among the noble figures placed below and around that of the Father of his Country one marked with the name of Andrew Lewis, the hero of Point Pleasant. His strikingly majestic form and figure never foil to remind me when I look at it, (as I have often done, and each time with increasing admiration) of the memorable remark made by the Governor of the Colony of New York, when General Lewis was a commissioner on behalf of Virginia at die treaty of Fort Stanwix, in New York, in 1768, that "the earth seemed to tremble under him as he walked along." He it was who is the subject of this sketch."

Andrew, the second son of John Lewis, resided on the Roanoke, in Botetourt county, as did his brother Charles. The will of Andrew Lewis, which is on record in the county court of Botetourt, dated in 1780, and admitted to record in February, 1782, showing that he died between those periods, devises to his son William two thousand acres of land lying on Roanoke river. This embraces the fine body of lands lying west of Salem for many years owned by Dr. John Johnston, on which there is a magnificent spring, which, in years gone by, furnished the water power for a manufacturing mill, that has long since disappeared. It also embraces the very valuable arm know as "Dropmore," containing one thousand acres, bought from Capt. William Lewis by Nathaniel Burwell, and was sold in the 1869 for $100,000 one hundred dollars an acre probably the largest sale of the same quantity of land that was ever made in Virginia. As will be more particularly stated hereafter, Gen. Andrew Lewis, who owned this land at the time of his death in 1781, was buried on an eminence overlooking the beautiful valley of Roanoke river, spreading out for six miles above and below the spot where the grave is now marked, from which spot I hope his dust will be removed at an early day to the public cemetery nearby.

Some of the descendants of Gen. Lewis are now living in Roanoke county. CoL Thomas Lewis and his brother Andrew, and great grandchildren, also MaJ. Andrew L. Pitzer, and other children of Madison Pitzer, who married Eliza Lewis, daughter of Capt. Andrew Lewis, also the children of Col. Elijah McClanahan. who married Agatha Lewis, daughter of Col. Andrew Lewis, of Bent Mountain. Mrs. Colin Bass, now residing in Salem, is one of those children. Capt. Andrew Lewis married Jane McClanahan, a sister of Col. Elijah and James McClanahan, and at the dose of his life resided on the farm now owned by Capt. Robert B. Moorman, half a mile west of Big Lick Depot.

Col. Andrew Lewis, of Bent Mountain, formerly in Montgomery county, now in Roanoke, was one of the sons of Gen. Andrew Lewis, who died about the year 1844, at an advanced age, about 84. My personal recollections of Col. Lewis are very distinct, having often seen him in my boyhood, at my father's house, and at his own house on Bent mountain, where he owned an immense body of lands that were valuable for pasturage and raising fine cattle in former days, and where, like Alexander Selkirk, he reigned as "monarch of all he surveyed," for a great number of years. I also met with him a few times in the latter part of his life, after religion (which he embraced when near eighty years old) had softened some other rough points of his character. Like all the Lewises, he was a man of commanding figure and appearance, reminding one of the description given by Stuart in his 'Historical Memoir" of General Andrew Lewis: "He was upwards of six feet high, of uncommon strength and agility, and his form of the most exact symmetry. He had a stern countenance, and was of a reserved and distant deportment, which rendered his presence more awful than engaging." Col. Andrew Lewis was twice married, first to a daughter of Thomas Madison, by whom he had three children one, Charles, who died unmarried, and Thomas, who was killed by McHenry in a duel fought with rifles which was fatal to both parties. This event created great interest at the time of its occurrence, not only on account of the high standing and character of the parties, but of its tragical termination. The only daughter of Col, Lewis by this marriage was Agatha, who married CoL Elijah McClanahan and left a large number of descendants. By his second marriage with Miss Bryant, he had one daughter, Kitty, who married Joseph King, and is still living on Bent Mountain with her son, Joseph R. King-

Doctor Andrew Lewis was another member of the Lewis family, who lived and died in Botetourt. He was a son of Capt. Wm. Lewis, who was twice married, first to a daughter of Thomas Madison, and afterwards to Nancy McClanahan. sister of Col. Elijah McClanahan. Dr. Lewis rose to great eminence in his profession, married Maria Walton, who is now living near Salem. and had three children, two daughters and one son.— One of the daughters, Lucy, married George W. Shanks; the other, Mary, married Henry A. Edmundson. The son, Dr. Wm. W. Lewis, married a daughter of Rev. Dr. McFarland, and left a daughter and son, Frank Lewis, who is now at the Seminary, preparing for the ministry, bang the only one cl the Lewis name (so far as I know) who has devoted himself to that calling. Having thus traced the Botetourt branches of the Lewis family from their ancestor, John Lewis, of Augusta county, I will now return to my first plan of presenting a sketch of Andrew Lewis, commonly known and referred to as the "hero of Point Pleasant," which is gathered in part from " Howe's Historical Collections," page 204, on Botetourt county— but venturing to suggest a correction In one or two particulars, which will be pointed out, also Charles Campbell's " Introduction to the History of the Colony of the Old Dominion ", from the same author's larger work, "History of the Colony and Ancient Dominion of Virginia," and from Foote's "Sketches of Virginia," 2d series, all of which are works of high authority. (1.) Howe, on page 204 as above, states that "General Andrew Lewis resided on the Roanoke river, in this county. He was one of the six sons [should be five sons and one daughter] of that John Lewis who, with Mackey and Sailing, had been foremost in settling Augusta county, and the most distinguished of a family who behaved so bravely in defending the infant settlements against the Indians. In Braddock's war he was in a company in which were all the brothers, the eldest, Samuel Lewis, being the captain. On page 182, Augusta county, the same author speaks of but four sons of John Lewis, of whom Thomas is said to be the eldest. Here is obviously a mistake, and an apparent contradiction, since Samuel and Thomas cannot both have been the eldest son. In a note on page 589 of Campbell's larger works, the following statement is made: " Thos. Lewis, eldest son of John Lewis, owing to a defective vision, was not actively engaged in the Indian wars. He married a Miss Strother, of Stafford. The second son, Samuel, died without issue. William, of the Sweet Springs, was distinguished in the frontier wars, and was an officer in the Revolutionary war. The fifth son, Col. Charles Lewis, fell at Point Pleasant." I think it may fairly be concluded that Howe is mistaken in his statement that John Lewis had six sons, and that Sam was the eldest He only gives the names of four, including Samuel, and omitting Charles. The statement of Charles Campbell is no doubt the correct one. Howe proceeds: " This corps distinguished themselves at Braddock's defeat They, with some other of the Virginia troops, were in the advance, and first attacked the enemy. Severed from the rest of the army, they cut " their way through the enemy to their companions, with the loss of many men. The conduct of Andrew Lewis at Grant's defeat, in his attack on Fort du Quesne, acquired for him the highest reputation for prudence and courage. He was at this time a major. Both Lewis and Grant were made prisoners. While they were prisoners, Grant addressed a letter to Gen. Forbes, attributing their defeat to Lewis. This letter being inspected by the French, who knew the falsehood of the charge, they handed it to Lewis, who waited on Grant and challenged him. Upon his refusing to fight, Lewis spit in his face in the presence of the French officers, and then left him to reflect on his baseness. Major Lewis was with Washington July 4th, 1754, at the capitulation of Fort Necessity, when by the articles agreed upon the garrison was to retire and return without molestation to the inhabited parts of the country; and the French commander promised that no embarrassment should be interposed either by his own men or the savages. While some of the soldiers of each army were intermixed, an Irishman, exasperated by an Indian near him, "cursed the copper colored scoundrel," and raised his musket. Lewis, who had been twice wounded in the engagement, and was then hobbling on a staff, raised the Irishman's gun as he was in the act of firing, and thus not only saved the life of the Indian, but probably prevented a general massacre of the Virginia troops. He was the commander and general of the Virginia troops at the battle of Point Pleasant, fought the 10th of May, 1774. [This should be the 10th of October, as stated by all the historians except Howe. In this campaign the Indians were driven west of the Ohio. Washington, in whose regunent Lewis had once been a major, formed so high an opinion of his bravery and military skill that at the commencement of the Revolutionary War he was induced to recommend him to Congress as one of the major-generals of the American army, a recommendation which was slighted in order to make room for Gen. Stephens. It is also said that when Washington was commissioned as commander-in-chief he expressed a wish that the appointment had been given to Gen. Lewis.

Upon this slight in the appointment of Stephens, Washington wrote a letter to Gen. Lewis, which is published in his correspondence, expressive of his regret at the course pursued by Congress, and promised that he should be promoted to the first vacancy. At his solicitation, Lewis accepted the commission of Brigadier-General, and was soon after ordered to the command of a detachment of the army stationed near Williamsburg. He commanded the Virginia troops when Lord Dunmorewas driven from Gwynn's Island, in 1776, and announced his orders for attacking the enemy by putting a match to the first gun, which was an eighteen-pounder.

Gen. Lewis resigned his command in 1781, to return home, being seized ill with a fever. He died on his way, in Bedford county, about forty (more correctly twenty-two) miles, from his own house on the Roanoke, lamented by all acquainted with his meritorious services and superior qualities.

Col. Wm. Lewis, the Founder's third son, was born in Ireland about 1724. He was remarkably handsome in the face, perfectly well formed in person, tall, robust and vigorous. Fond of books, his great delight from boyhood was the study of literature and philosophy. He thus shunned public employments, and never would have left his retirement but for the stirring times in which he lived. On reaching a proper age, he was entered at a school in Eastern Virginia, the school of Rev. James Waddell, D. D. and after acquiring a liberal education, proceeded to Philadelphia, where he graduated as a doctor of medicine. It was during his sojourn in that city that he formed the acquaintance and won the heart of Ann Montgomery, of Delaware, who afterwards became his wife. Returning to Virginia, he would gladly have spent his days in the quiet pursuits of his profession, but the war of 1753-54 coming on, he volunteered for service, and was severely wounded at the battle of Braddock's defeat. Returning to Augusta, he resumed the practice, and soon became conspicuous for his large intelligence, his professional skill and his influence in the community. In this field he sought to promote good fellowship, to inspire a feeling of compassion among the whites for the aborigines, and to protect the Indians from the injustice of unscrupulous and greedy traders. He urged the erection of schools and churches, and was remarkable for his high regard for all things relating to education and religion. Here his life would have been spent but for the Revolution. Imbued with a sense of our wrongs, and a determination to resist the tyranny of Great Britain, he abandoned a second time his peaceful employments in 1776, and accepted a commission as colonel in the old continental line. He was an elder in the Presbyterian church, and his compassionate kindness and many acts of charity drew the eyes of the people upon him, so that he was commonly spoken of as the Civilizer of the Border. He served in the army until 781, when he returned to his family in Augusta. Gov. Gilmer, in his ketches, thus speaks of him on page 58: " William Lewis, though as powerful in person and brave in spirit as either of his brothers, was less imposed to seek fame by the sacrifice of human life. He was an elder in be Presbyterian church of the old Covenanter sort his son Thomas was an officer in Wayne's army of high reputation for soldierly conduct Soon after Tom's return home from the service, he saw some wild ducks on a Monday morning on the Sweet Spring creek. Taking a fowling piece in is hand, he crept along a zig-zag fence until within shooting distance, and was about firing when he felt the sharp pang of a birch applied to his back. Turning suddenly, he saw the uplifted hand of his father, who exclaimed, ' Til teach you not to profane the Sabbath here." It is not surprising that the old man was styled the Civilizer of the Border. In a book published in Richmond by C. H. Wynne, in 1858, entitled " Recollections, fcc, of Lynchburg, by the oldest inhabitant," on pages 316-318, there is an account of the Lewis'. The author says "William Lewis owned a princely estate where Staunton now stands (this should doubtless read near Staunton, and he with his brothers, Andrew, Thomas, Charles and Samel, were in the battle of Braddock's defeat They received their early instruction from the venerable Dr. Waddell, the blind preacher. The names of these distinguished men are all well known in history, so that only a slight mention of them here is necessary, it being only designed to make a brief record of some of the incidents connected with the family of Irs. Agatha Towles " (nee* Lewis.) William Lewis removed from Augusta to the Sweet Spring, circa 1790, where he died in 1812, revered as a Matriarch and honored and beloved as a man and citizen. His son, Hon. William I. Lewis, represented Campbell County District a the United States Congress from 1815 to 1817, and his son, Major John Lewis, a distinguished officer of the Revolution, spent the winter of 1777 at Valley Forge with Washington, between whom and Lewis a warm personal friendship existed, and was in many of the battles of the Revolution, Major Lewis died in 1823. He was a man of lofty character and indomiable spirit.

Charles Lewis the fourth son of the Founder, was killed at the battle of the Point, October 10, 1774. " He was esteemed," say Howe, p.. 183, "the most skillful of all the leaders of the border warfare, and was as much beloved for his noble and amiable qualities as he was admired for his military talents."

Hon. Alex. H. H. Stuart, M. C. for the Augusta District from 1841 to 1843, and during President Fillmore's administration Secretary of the Interior, 185O-'53, has communicated in the following letter some interesting particulars as to Col. Charles Lewis, who, it seems, was the " Idol of die Army": Staunton, October 18th, 1882. Col; John L. Peyton : Dear Sir, I regret very much that I cannot give you any detailed account of Col. Charles Lewis, who was killed at the battle of Point Pleasant in 1774. I remember being present at a conversation, about 1830, between my father and the late Andrew Reid (father of Col. Samuel McD. Reid) in regard to him. Mr. Reid had served under Col. Lewis in 1774, and was actively engaged in the battle of Point Pleasant Col. Charles Lewis was a younger brother of Gen. Andrew Lewis. Gen. Andrew Lewis was represented to have been a man of reserved manners and great dignity of character, somewhat of the order of George Washington. His vigorous intellect, unquestionable courage and solid virtues inspired unlimited confidence in all who knew him, but there was nothing showy or attractive about him. Charles Lewis, on the other hand, was represented by Mr. Reid as being a man of brilliant talents, of most engaging manners, and, as Mr. Reid expressed it, "the idol of the whole army." My father, who was a much younger man than Mr. Reid, and had no personal acquaintance with Col. Charles Lewis, but was familiar with his character, as described by his contemporaries, concurred with Mr. Reid in the high estimate which he had formed of his abilities and noble qualities, and they agreed in expressing the belief that if he had not been prematurely cutoff he would have been a conspicuous figure in our Revolutionary war. Mr. Reid said the death of Col. Charles Lewis threw gloom over the whole army. Respectfully yours, &c,

Arthur Campbell was born in Augusta County in 1742. When fifteen years old, he volunteered as a militiaman, to perform duty in protecting the frontier from incursions of the Indians. He was stationed in a fort on the Cow pasture river, near where the road crosses leading from Staunton to the Warm Springs. While engaged in this service, he was captured by the Indians, who loaded him with their packs, and marched seven days into the forests with his captors, who were from Lakes Erie and Michigan, and were on their return. Campbell, at the end of seven days, was so exhausted that he was unable to travel, and was treated by the Indians with great severity. An old chief, taking compassion on him, protected him from further injury, and on reaching the Lakes adopted Campbell in whose family the young man remained during his three years' captivity.

During this time, Campbell made himself familiar with the Indian language their manners and customs, and soon acquired the confidence of the old chief, who took him on all his hunting excursions. During these they rambled over Michigan and the northern parts of Ohio, Indiana and Illinois. In 1749, a British force marched towards the Upper Lakes, of which the Indians were informed by their scouts. Campbell formed the bold resolution of escaping to this force. While out on one of their hunting excursions, Campbell left the Indians, and after a fortnight's tramp through the pathless wilds reached the British. The British commander was much interested in Campbell's account of his captivity and escape, and with his intelligence, and engaged him to pilot the army, which he did with success. Shortly after he returned to Augusta, after an absence of more than three years. For his services in piloting the army he received a grant of 1,000 acres of land near Louisville, Kentucky.

In 1772, his father, David Campbell, and family, removed to the " Royal Oak," on Holstein river, and in 1776, Arthur Campbell was appointed major in the Fincastle militia, and elected to the General Assembly. He was also a member of the convention for forming the Constitution. When Washington county was formed he was commissioned colonel commandant, and during the time he was in commission commanded several expeditions, particularly that against the Cherokees.

He was tall, of a dignified air, an extensive reader and good talker. He married a sister of Gen. William Campbell, and left issue at his death, in 1816, in Knox county, Kentucky.

William Campbell was born in Augusta County about the year 1745, and was of Scotch origin. He received a liberal education, and early displayed a taste and genius for military science. He was of well proportioned and commanding figure, being over six feet high, and of grave and dignified demeanor. In 1775, he joined the first regular troops raised in Virginia, having been commissioned a captain in the first regiment In 1776, he resigned, owing to the danger to which his family and friends were exposed from Indian hostilities, and returned to Washington county, where he was commissioned lieutenant colonel of the county militia, and the year following to the colonelcy on the resignation of Col. Evan Shelby, se'r. In this rank he continued until after the battles of King's Mountain and Guilford, when he was appointed by the Legislature of Virginia to the rank of Brigadier General, and was ordered to join LaFayette in opposing the British in 1781. After the defeat of the British General Furguson, Cornwallis imbibed a personal resentment, and had the temerity to threaten Gen. Campbell with death if he fell into his hands. To these threats Gen. Campbell responded by declaring that if Cornwallis fell into the hands of the Americans he would meet the fate of Ferguson. This, soon after, at the battle of Guilford, had nearly been the case, for had all the militia behaved with the firmness as did the wing commanded by Gen. Campbell, the British army must have met with total defeat.

On forming the army in Virginia, in 1781, under LaFayette, Gen. Campbell became a favorite of Lafayette, who gave him command of the brigade of light infantry and riflemen. A few weeks before the siege of Yorktown, illness caused him to retire to the country house of a friend, and there, in the thirty sixth year of his age, he expired. To military genius he united moral and social virtues and an exemplary life. His military career was short but brilliant with an inferior force of undisciplined militia, he marched in a few days near two hundred miles, over rugged mountains, in search of the enemy, who were commanded by experienced officers, and who had chosen at King's Mountain his field for battle. It was a strong position, more in the nature of a fortification than an open field. The assault on the British was impetuous and irresistible, and their victory glorious. It caused the retreat of the British army, and broke up their plan of an invasion of Virginia in that year. It also reanimated the friends of Liberty in the southern states, and was the prelude to the final triumph the following year at Yorktown.

The Virginia Legislature voted him a sword, horse and pistols for his conduct at King's Mountain, and named a county in his honor. Congress passed in his favor highly complimentary resolutions.

At the time of his death, LaFayette issued an order regretting the decease of " an officer whose services must have endeared him to every citizen and soldier," as one who had " acquired a glory in the affairs of King's Mountain and Guilford which will do his memory everlasting honor and ensure him a high rank among the defenders of Liberty in America."

William Fleming was a native of Scotland, and, while in his minority, emigrated to Virginia. He was represented as of noble blood, and had received a liberal education, which he sought to utilize on a broader field than that of his Caledonian home. Of a bold and adventurous spirit, he wandered from the early seats of colonization in Virginia to the mountains of Augusta, and was so much pleased with the beauty of the country, to fertility, and the hospitable manners and customs of the people, that he determined to take up his residence among them. He accordingly settled in that part of Augusta now known as Botetourt, and on the James river, about 1760. He took up large grants of public lands, which, enhancing in value, soon made him a man of fortune. He was a man of fine physique, vigorous constitution, enterprising spirit, and fond of athletic sports, in which he excelled, and of social tastes, which made him popular. When the war of 1774 was impending, he raised, under the orders of Gen. Andrew Lewis, a regiment, which he commanded at the battle of Point Pleasant, where he received a wound, from which he only partially recovered, and which hastened his death.

Col. Fleming married and left a family. One of his daughters, Anne, married Rev. George A. Barter, D. D., Rector, in 1798, of Liberty Hall Academy, Professor of Mathematics, Natural Philosophy and Astronomy, and minister of New Monmouth and Lexington churches, and, in 18319 Professor of Theology in Union Theological Seminary. On page 363 of Howe's History of Virginia, Col. Fleming is mentioned as having been Governor of Virginia during the Revolutionary war. This must be an error. Patrick Henry was Governor from 1776 to 1779; then Thomas Jefferson to 1781; then Thomas Nelson to November, 1781; then Benjamin Harrison to 1784, when Henry was again elected Governor.

Through the kindness of Mr. D. W. Bernard, in whose possession the original now is, we have been furnished with the following letter, written by the mother of the great Patrick Henry to Mrs. Fleming, wife of Col. Fleming. It is a quaint old document, which we are satisfied will possess for our readers an especial interest:

15TH Oct'r, 1774. Dear Madam : Kind Providence preserved me and all with me safe to our home in Hanover. Here people have been very sickly, but hope the sickly season is nigh over. My dear Annie has been ailing two or three days with a fever; the dear children are very well. My son Patrick has been gone to Philadelphia near seven weeks. The affairs of Congress are kept with great secresy, nobody being allowed to be present. I assure you we have our lowland troubles and fears with respect to Great Britain Perhaps our good God may brine good to us out of these many evils which threaten us, not only from the mountains but from the seas. I cannot forget to thank my dear Mrs. Fleming for the great kindness that you showed us when in Botetourt, and assure you that I remember Col. Fleming and you with much esteem and best wishes, and I shall take it very kind if you will let me hear from you.

My daughter, Betty, joins me in kind love to yourself and Miss Rosie, and especially to your dear good mother when you see her. I am, dear madam,
Your humble serv't,

James Madison was born, August 27, 1749, in that part of Augusta County now embraced within the limits of Rockingham, and near the present town of Port Republic. He obtained his early education in Maryland, and then at William and Mary College, where he matriculated 1768. He was distinguished at college for his diligence and attainments, and received a gold medal, presented by Lord Botetourt, in 1772. He studied law, and was admitted to the Bar, but soon abandoned it to study for the Col. F. was for a brief period acting Governor. ministry In 1773, he was chosen Professor of Mathematics In William and Mary, and in 1775, proceeded to England, was admitted to holy orders, and was licensed by the Bishop of London for the colony of Virginia. On his return to Virginia he resumed his situation in William and Mary, and in 1777, became president of the college. He now returned to England to qualify himself more thoroughly for his position, and remained abroad till 1778. Returning home, he entered upon his college duties with zeal. In 1784, he retired from the mathematical department, and became Professor of Natural and Moral Philosophy, International Law, etc, and retained those positions, with the presidency, until his death, August, 1815, In 1785, the University of Pennsylvania conferred upon him the degree of Doctor of Divinity.

Notwithstanding the Episcopal Church had been in existence for more than a century and a half in Virginia, she never had a Resident Bishop until 1785, being nominally a part of the Diocese of London. Her first Convention was held in May, 1785, when Bishop Madison presided.

At the period when Bishop Madison entered on his office, the Episcopal Church in Virginia was in a state of extreme depression, the clergy being few in number, and many suffering from poverty, and the Bishop expressed the fear, at this convention, "that the great dereliction sustained by our church hath arisen, in no small degree, from the want of that fervent Christian zeal which her many pious and zealous pastors ought more generally to have inspired." The Bishop made his first visitation in 1792. At this time he seems to have been intensely interested on uniting all sincere Christians: "There is no one," he says, " but must cordially wish for such a union, provided it did not require a sacrifice of those points which are deemed essential by our church; from them we have no power to retreat." At the New York convention of 1792, he opposed the use of "Articles" altogether, on the " principles of the confessional," and other like books.

His preaching was popular, and his character commanded respect, but his influence did little to revive the languishing interests of the church in Virginia.

His published works are a thanksgiving sermon, 1781; a letter to J. Morse, 1795 ; an address to the Episcopal Church in 1790; a eulogy on Washington, 1800; a discourse at the funeral of Mrs. Ann Semple, sister of President Tyler; a large map of Virginia, and several papers in Barton's journal.

Bishop Madison married, in 1779, Sarah Tate, one of the bright belles who adorned the society of Williamsburg. They left two children: James Catesby Madison, of Roanoke county, Va., and Susan, who married R. G. Scott, of Richmond.

Samuel McCulloch was born on Short creek, Augusta, now northwestern West Virginia, about 1752. At a very early age he distinguished himself as a bold and efficient bordered. As an Indian hunter, he had few superiors. He seemed to track the wily red man with a sagacity as remarkable as his efforts were successful. From early boyhood, he was almost constantly engaged in excursions against the enemy, or scouting for the security of the settle ments. It was mainly to these energetic operations that the frontier was so often saved from savage depredation, and by cutting off their retreat, attacking their hunting camps, and annoying them in various other ways, he rendered himself an extraordinary object of fear and hatred. For these acts they marked him. and vowed vengeance against his name. In consideration of his services, he was commissioned major in 1775, and in 1772 he performed a remarkable feat The circumstances connected with this achievement are as follows: During the siege of Wheeling, the Indians drove Major McCulloch to the summit of a lofty hill which overhangs the present city. Knowing their relentless hostility toward himself, he strained every muscle of his noble steed to gain the summit, and then escaped along the brow in the direction of Van Meter's fort At length he attained the top, and galloping ahead of his pursuers, rejoiced at his lucky escape. As he gained a point on the hill near where a road passes, what should he suddenly encounter but a considerable body of Indians, who were Just returning from a plundering excursion among the settlements. In an instant he comprehended the extent of his danger. Escape seemed out of the question, either in the direction of Short, creek or bade to the bottom. A fierce and revengeful foe completely hemmed him in, cutting off every chance of escape. What was to be done? Fall into their hands and share the most refined torture ? That thought was agony, and in an instant the bold soldier, preferring death among the rocks and brambles, determined to plunge over the precipice before him, full three hundred feet high and almost perpendicular. Without a moment's hesitation, for the savages were pressing upon him, he firmly adjusted himself in the saddle, grasped securely the bridle in his left hand, and supporting his rifle in the right, pushed his unfaltering horse over. A plunge, a crash crackling timber and tumbling rocks, were all that the wondering savages could see or hear. They looked, chagrined and bewildered, one at another, and while they inwardly regretted that the fire had been spared its victim, they could not but greatly rejoice that their most inveterate enemy was at length beyond the power of doing further injury. But, lo! ere a single savage had recovered from his amazement, what should they see but the invulnerable major, on his white steed, galloping across the peninsula. Such was the feat of Major McCulloch, certainly one of the most daring and successful ever attempted. The place has become memorable as " McCulloch's Leap," and will remain so long as the hill stands and the recollections of the past have a place in the hearts of the people.

It is to us a matter of regret that more of the stirring incidents in this man's life have not been collected and preserved. We have heard of many daring feats of personal prowess, but they come to us in such a mixed and unsatisfactory form as to render their publication unsafe.

We come now to the most painful duty of the biographer, the catastrophe, the death of his hero. Towards the latter end of July, 1782, indications of Indians having been noticed by some of the settlers, Major McCulloch and his brother John mounted their horses and left Van Metre's fort, to ascertain the correctness of the report They crossed Short creek, and continued in the direction of Wheeling, but inclining towards the river. They scouted closely but, cautiously; and, not discovering any such "signs as had been stated, descended to the bottom, at a point on the farm now owned by Alfred P. Woods, about two miles above Wheeling. They then passed up the river to the mouth of Short Creek, and thence up Girty's Point in the direction of Van Metre's.

Not discovering any indications of the enemy, the brothers were riding leisurely along (July 30, 1782,) and when a short distance beyond the "Point," a deadly discharge of rifles took place, killing Major McCulloch instantly. His brother escaped, but his horse was killed. Immediately mounting that of his brother, he made off to give the alarm. As yet no enemy had been seen; but, turning in his saddle after riding fifty yards, he said the path was filled with Indians, and one fellow in the act of scalping the unfortunate major. Quick as thought the rifle of John was at his shoulder, and in an instant more the savage was rolling in the agonies of death. John escaped to the fort unhurt, with the exception of a slight hip wound.

On the following day a party of men from Van Metre's went out and gathered up the mutilated remains of Major McCulloch. The savages had disemboweled him, but the viscera all remained except the heart. Some years subsequent to this melancholy affair an Indian, who had been one of the party on this occasion, told some whites that the heart of Maj. McCulloch had been divided and eaten by the party. This was done, said he, that "We be bold, like Major McCulloch." On another occasion an Indian, in speaking of the incident, said, "The whites (meaning John McCulloch) had killed a great captain, but they (the Indians) had killed a greater one."

Before closing this notice, it may, perhaps, be well enough to advert again to the question of identity, for the two brothers have been associated with these deeds. In the first place, then, it seems generally conceded that the person who accomplished the feat was Major McCulloch, and the year of its occurrence 1777. Well, Samuel McCulloch was commissioned major in 1775, John not until 1795. Let the reader decide which must have been the man. In 1775-6-7 etc., Samuel McCulloch was one of the most active and distinguished borderers in Virginia, the pride of the settlements and a terror to the savages. John was born in 1759, and therefore, in 1777, was only eighteen years of age, quite too young a man to have rendered himself so odious to the fierce old Shawanese warriors. But there need be no necessity for depending upon doubtful conjecture or uncertain data. Without one single exception, all the older citizens agree in saying that it was Major Samuel. The late Col. Wood said so unhesitatingly and stated positively, that Major John never claimed the credit, although he (W.) often talked to him of the exploit Major John McCulloch was, perhaps, quite as brave and true as his brother. He did ample service in our long struggle for independence, and a more devoted patriot could not be found. He filled many important posts of honor and trust, and was greatly respected. The early records of Ohio county show that he acted a conspicuous part on the bench and otherwise.

The death of Maj. Samuel McCulloch occurred at the most unfortunate period of our history. It was in the Summer of that year (1782)50 memorable in the annals of the west The united tribes of the north and west were meditating an attack upon the' frontier posts of Virginia, and many feared that some of the weaker ones might yield. Amid such perilous scenes as these, the death of such a man could not but be greatly deplored.

Major McCulloch married a Miss Mitchell, and had only enjoyed the wedded life six months at the time of his death.

Ebenezer Zane was born October, 1747, in Augusta, now Berkeley Co., W. Va, The family is of Danish origin, but at an early day removed to England and thence in the 17th century to America. One branch settled in N. Jersey, the other in Va. The subject of this notice sprung from the latter branch. In 1770, he wandered to the west with his brothers Silas and Jonathan, and made his home on the site of the present town of Wheeling. In 1772 his family and a few friends removed from Berkeley to his new abode on the Ohio. There was not at the time a permanent Anglo-Saxon settlement from the source to the mouth of the Ohio. The little band at Wheeling stood alone in the immense solitude. Zane and his associates soon opened a "clearing" and grew a crop of corn. In 1773 many families joined the settlement Mr. Zane married a sister of the daring borderer, McCulloch, by whom he had eleven children. Zone's intercourse with the Indians was. marked by mildness and honorable dealing, hence his hamlet escaped the fury of the savages until 1777. All three brothers were men of enterprise, prudence and sound judgment, and the Wheeling settlement was mainly due to them for its security and preservation during' the revolution.

He was conspicuous during the siege of Fort Henry, and brought himself so prominently before the public that he received various marks of distinction from the Colonial State and Federal governments. He was a disbursing officer under Dunmore, and enjoyed under the Commonwealth numerous civil and military distinctions. He always preferred, however, the peace and quietude of his own home to the bustle and pomp of public place. He was as generous as brave; strictly honorable to all men, and most jealous of his own rights. He possessed, in an eminent degree, the constituents of a true gentleman, the disposition to render unto all their dues, the quick, delicate, accurate perception of others' rights and others' claims. His temperament was nervous bilious, quick, impetuous, and hard to restrain when excited. He was, in short, a plain blunt man. rude of speech, but true of heart, knowing nothing of the formalities of social life and caring about little else than his family, his friends and his country.

The personal appearance of Col. Zane was somewhat remarkable: dark complexion, piercing black eyes, huge brows, and prominent nose—not very tall, but uncommonly active and athletic, he was a match for almost any man in the settlement, and many are the incidents, in wood and field, told of his prowess and his strength. He was a devoted hunter and spent much of his time in the woods. But few men could out-shoot, and fewer still out-run Zane. In illustration of his skill with the rifle, we will give an incident: About the year 1781, some of the whites in the fbrt observed an Indian on the island going through certain personal movements for die especial benefit of those within the fort Colonel Zane's attention having been drawn to the indelicate performances, declared he would spoil the sport, and charging his rifle with an additional ball, patiently waited for the chap to re-appear. In a moment his naked body was seen emerging from behind a large sycamore, and commencing anew his performances, Col. Zane drew upon him a practiced aim and the next instant the native harlequin was seen to go through a peculiar gyration, believed not to have been "on the bills."

Col. Zane was a man of true courage, as is exemplified by his almost single handed defense of his own dwelling, in the fall of 1782.

The government of the United States, duly appreciating his capacity, energy and influence, employed him by an act of Congress, May, 1796, to open a road from Wheeling to Limestone, (Maysville.) This duty he performed in the following year, assisted by his brother Jonathan, and son-in-law, John Mclntyre, aided by an Indian guide, Tomepomehaia, whose knowledge of the country enabled him to render valuable suggestions. The road was marked through under the eye of Colonel Zane and then committed to his assistants to cut out. As a compensation for opening this road, Congress granted Col. Zane the privilege of locating military warrants upon three sections of land; the first to be at the crossing of the Muskingum, the second at Hock hocking, and the third at Scioto. Col. Zane thought of crossing the Muskingum at Duncan's falls, but foreseeing the great value of the hydraulic power created by the falls, determined to cross at the point where Zanesville has since been established, and thus secure this important power. The second section was located where Lancaster now stands, and the third on the east side of the. Scioto opposite Chillicothe. The first he gave, principally, to his two assistants for services rendered. In addition to these fine possessions, Col. Zane acquired large bodies of land throughout Western Virginia, by locating patents for those persons whose fear of the Indians deterred them undertaking personally so hazardous an enterprise.

After a life full of adventure and vicissitudes, the subject of our notice died of jaundice, in 1811, at the age of sixty four.

A singular custom with this borderer was to take an Autumn hunt in the Indian country. On one occasion he penetrated to the Muskingum, and fell upon a camp of four Indians. He waited till midnight, and then glided into the camp, his rifle in one hand, a tomahawk in the other. He rested his gun against a tree, and drawing his knife, approached the four sleeping warriors. Quick as thought he cleft the skull of one, in an instant a second was slain, the third, rising, shared the fate of his comrades, the fourth darted into the darkness and escaped, although Wetzel pursued some distance, uttering horrid yells.

During one of his scouts, he took shelter, on a stormy night, in a deserted cabin. He climbed into the loft to sleep, and had been there only a short time when six savages entered, lit a fire, and commenced preparing a meal. Soon after supper, the Indians fell asleep. Wetzel crawled down quietly, and going out, hid himself behind a log. In the morning one of the savages stepped forth. Wetzel, who had his finger on the trigger, shot him dead, and taking to his heels, escaped.

When twenty five, he entered the service of Gen. Harmer, commanding at Marietta. While thus engaged, he killed a friendly chief. He was arrested and confined in the fort He requested the general to give him up to the savages, of whom there were a large number present, and let him and them fight it out with their knives he against all. This the general refused to do, but allowed him to walk about the grounds, handcuffed, for the benefit of his health. Wetzel took advantage of this, and escaped. He made his way to the Ohio, swam the river, though his hands were in heavy iron handcuffs, went to the cabin of a friend, and was released. A large reward was offered by Gen. Harmer for his arrest, but the settlers became incensed at the idea of hanging a white man for killing an Indian, when they were killing the whites every day. Wetzel was afterwards recaptured, but set at liberty. During the career of this man of indomitable courage, energy and skill he killed twenty seven Indian warriors. He died in 1808. He was five feet ten inches high, erect, broad across the shoulders, deep chest, and limbs denoting great muscular strength. His complexion was dark, eyes black, wild and rolling. His black hair was luxuriant, and when combed out fell below his knees a rare scalp for the savages could they have secured it He loved his friends and hated his enemies He was a rude, blunt man of few words. His name and fame will long survive among the backwoodsmen.

Andrew Poe, one of the most formidable warriors of the border, was born about 1760, near Frederick, Md., and removed to northwest Virginia about 1774. He was shrewd, active and courageous, a thorough backwoodsman in every sense of the word. He was tall, muscular and erect, and determined to hold his own against the savages. In 1781, a party of six Indians crossed the Ohio near Poe's residence, and committed many depredations. Capt. Poe, with seven companions, pursued the barbarians, who were soon found to be under command of " Big Foot," one of the most daring, skillful and athletic of all the western warriors. Like Saul of old, Big Foot, who was nearly seven feet high, towered a head above his peers. Poe was delighted with the prospect of testing his strength with such a foe, and urged on the pursuit Poe separated from his men in search of the savages near the river (Ohio) and soon came upon Big Foot, who was resting under the shade of a willow, talking to a single companion, another warrior. Poe engaged them both in gladiatorial contest. During the struggle, Big Foot's companion staggered under a blow into the river, and Poe released himself from the giant grasp of Big Foot Before the giant could interpose, Poe shot Big Foot's companion, and engaged in a fist fight with the giant, during which both rolled into the river, and each attempted to drown the other. Carried out into the current beyond their depth, each was compelled to relax his hold and swim for his life. Big Foot, on reaching the shore, was shot by Poe's brother, who came up while they were in the water and comprehended the situation. Big Foot's death was a severe blow to his tribe, and enhanced Poe's feme prodigiously. Poe, during his whole life, was an active and useful frontiersman and Indian fighter, and at his death, in 1840, left numerous descendants.

Samuel Brady, called the "Marion of the West," was born at Shippensburg, Pa., 17569 and was the son of Jno. Brady who was made a captain in the Colonial army for his services in the old French and Indian war. In 1776 Samuel joined the army, was commissioned Lieutenant and marched to Boston. He continued with the army and was in all the principal battles until after that of Monmouth, when he was ordered to the west and joined Gen. Broadhead. Broadhead employed Brady as a spy to ascertain the strength, resources &c of the savages.

Disguised as savages, Brady, Williamson and Wetzel reached the Indian towns on the upper Sandusky. They entered the Indian village at night and made a thorough reconnoissance, and then retreated, traveling all night In the morning they discovered the savages in pursuit, but finally escaped, having killed one of the enemy. Satisfied with the information brought by Brady and his companions, Broadhead's army moved onward. During all the Indian wars up to 1794, Brady took an active part and no braver or bolder man ever drew a sword or fired a rifle. He married a daughter of Capt. Van Swearengen, of Ohio county, and left descendants.

One of the most active, daring and successful Indian hunters in the mountain region of Virginia was Jesse Hughes, sometimes styled the Wetzel of his portion of the State. He was born on the headwaters of the Monongahela, Va., about 1768, and early became skilled in the use of the rifle and tomahawk. He was a man of iron constitution, and could endure extraordinary privations and fatigue. Many anecdotes are told of his encounters with the red men and of the invaluable services he rendered to the white settlements on the Monongahela. Jesse Hughes was more than a match at any time for the most wary savage in the forest. In his ability to anticipate all their artifices, he had few equals and no superiors. He was a great favorite, and no scouting party could be complete unless Jesse Hughes had something to do with it

James Waddell was born in Ulster, Ireland, July, 1739, of Scotch parentage. Shortly after this event, his parents emigrated to America, and settled, in the Autumn of 1739, in Pennsylvania. Here he remained until 1753, during which period the foundation of a liberal education was laid at the " log college" of a Dr. Finley, at Nottingham. His proficiency in the ancient languages caused him, while yet a lad under fifteen, to be selected as a tutor in the school, and afterwards in that of Dr. Robt Smith. While a member of Dr. Finley's school, he embraced religion, and " a constraint was on him to preach the Gospel." When nineteen years of age he left Pennsylvania for South Carolina to open a school, and passing through Virginia, made the acquaintance of Rev, Samuel Davies, of Hanover. They soon became devoted friends, and Waddell abandoned his purpose of going south, and became a teacher in the school of Rev. John Todd, of Louisa, and here commenced the studies preparatory for the sacred ministry. In 1760, he offered himself to Hanover Presbytery as a candidate for the Gospel ministry, then meeting at the Stone church, in Augusta, and was licensed and appointed to preach the Gospel as a candidate for the holy ministry, January, 1761. His ministerial talents were so remarkable that during this year he received numerous calls, among them one from Brown's meeting house (Hebron), and another from Joining's Gap, Augusta. All of these he declined. In June, 1762, he was regularly ordained, and accepted a call from lancaster and Northumberland counties. Colonel James Gordon, a wealthy and influential merchant, whose daughter he subsequently married, was the principal Presbyterian in the community to which Mr. Waddell now removed, and to which he devoted the most active part of his ministerial life. He, in fact, continued here until 1778, when, on account of ill health and the inroads of the Revolutionary war, he removed to Augusta. There was much persecution of Dissenters in those colonial days, and Mr. W. was assailed from the pulpit and by the press, Rev. William Gisberne, of Richmond county and parish, making himself conspicuous by calling Mr. W., in one of his sermons, "a pickpocket, dark lantern, moonlight preacher and enthusiast," at the same time raising a hue and cry for the arrest of " the new light, instigated by folly, impudence, and the devil, and bringing him to the whipping post" (Foote. p. 373.) Mr. Waddell vindicated himself from these scurrilous attacks in a dignified and truly Christian letter, of date July 21st, 1768, addressed to his calumniator, in which he advised him, above all things, to abstain from bitter invectives and scurrilous language against others, and bidding him farewell, assured him, with grim humor, that in all things wherein he, Mr. Gisberne, thought him his enemy, he, Mr. Waddell, was his friend and most humble servant In April, 1774, Mr. Waddell was called to Timber Ridge, which call he declined. In 1778, he removed to his estate of Spring Hill, near Waynes-boro, Augusta, where he resided seven years, acting continuously as minister of Tinkling Spring and sometimes at Staunton. During this time he animated the soldiers by his patriotic addresses, urging them to go forth in defense of their native or adopted land. To the forces of Campbell, McDowell and Moffett assembled at Midway before marching to North Carolina to oppose Lord Cornwallis, he preached stirring sermons on the great principles of the Gospel, and bade them a pastor's affectionate farewell. In 1785, he returned to his plantation of Belle Grove, in Louisa, where he resided until his death, in 1805. He was first buried at Hopewell farm, his former residence, but in 1881 his remains were removed to the memorial church, which bears his name, near Rapidan Station, oa the Virginia Midland railroad. His preaching places were Hopewell, near Gordonsville, the D. S. meeting house, about five miles from Charlottes-ville, at the Brick church, near Orange Courthouse, and occasionally at other points. Here he opened his classical school, in which so many Augusta boys were educated, and which acquired such a deservedly high and extended reputation. The great affliction of Dr. W.'s life was his blindness, caused by cataract. He suffered also from a nehrous complaint, which for some years previous to his blindness deprived him of the use of the pen. He was devoted to books, and after his loss of sight, his wife and other members of the family spent hours daily reading to him. His heavy bodily afflictions did not impair his spirits. He was always not only composed, but cheerful, happy and resigned. His powers of conversation were extraordinary, and his sermons rather in the style of a conversation than declamation. His voice was melodious, his gestures simple and dignified, and his eloquence irresistible. In 1798, he visited Maryland, and submitted to an operation for cataract It was successful, and the blessed light of heaven was restored to him for a brief period. The cataract, however, returned, but the good man stood at his post, like the true minister of Christ, and preached Him crucified faithfully " unto death." The great lawyer and statesman, William Wirt, thus describes Mr. Waddell in the " British Spy." His description immortalizes the writer and his hero:

"It was one Sunday, as I traveled through the county of Orange, that my eye was caught by a cluster of horses tied near a ruinous, old, wooden house, in the forest, not far from the roadside. Having frequently seen such objects before in traveling through these States, I had no difficulty in understanding that this was a place of religious worship "Devotion should have stopped, to join in the duties of the congregation; but I must confess, that curiosity to hear the preacher of such a wilderness, was not the least of my motives. On entering, I was struck with the preternatural appearance; he was a mil and very spare old man; his head, which was covered with a white linen cap, his shriveled hands, and his voice, were all shaking under the influence of a palsy; and few minutes ascertained to me that he was perfectly blind.

"The first emotions which touched my breast, were those of mingled pity and veneration. But ah! how soon were all my feelings changed. The lips of Plato were nevermore worthy of a prognostic swarm of bees, than were the lips of this holy man! It was a day of the administration of the sacrament; and his subject of course, was the passion of our Saviour. I had heard the subject handled a thousand times, I had thought it exhausted long ago. Little did I suppose, that in the wild woods of America, I was to meet with a man whose eloquence would give to this topic a new and more sublime pathos, than I had ever before witnessed.

" As he descended from the pulpit, to distribute the mystic symbols, there was a peculiar, a more than human solemnity in his air and manner which made my blood run cold, and my whole frame shiver. "He then drew a picture of the sufferings of our Saviour; his trial before Pilate; his ascent up Calvary ; his crucifixion, and his death. I knew die whole history; but never, till then, had I heard the circumstances so selected, so arranged, so colored! It was all new: and I seemed to have heard it for the first time in my life. His enunciation was so deliberate, that his voice trembled on every syllable; every heart in the assembly trembled in unison. His peculiar phases had that force of description that the original scene appeared to be, at that moment, acting before our eyes. We saw the very faces of the Jews: the staring frightful distortions of malice and rage. We saw the buffet; my soul kindled with a flame of indignation; and my hands were involuntarily and convulsively clenched.

"But when he came to touch on the patience, the forgiving meekness of our Saviour; when he drew, to the life, his blessed eyes streaming in tears to heaven; his voice breathing to God, a soft and gentle prayer of pardon on his enemies, 'Father, forgive them, for they know not what they do'— the voice of the preacher, which had all along faltered, grew fainter and fainter, until his utterance being entirely obstructed by the force of his feelings, he raised his handkerchief to his eyes, and burst into a loud and irrepressible flood of grief. The effect is inconceivable. The whole house resounded with the mingled groans, and sobs, and shrieks of the congregation.

"It was some time before the tumult had subsided, so far as to permit him to proceed. Indeed, judging by the usual, but fallacious standard of my own weakness, I began to oe very uneasy for the situation of the preacher. For I could not conceive how he would be able to let his audience down from the height to which he had wound them, without impairing the solemnity and dignity of his subject, or perhaps shocking them by the abruptness of the fall But no; the descent was as beautiful and sublime, as the elevation had been rapid and enthusiastic. "The first sentence which broke the awful silence, was a quotation from Rousseau, 'Socrates died like a philosopher, but Jesus Christ like a God!

"I despair of giving you any idea of the effect produced by this short sentence, unless you could perfectly conceive the whole manner of the man, as well as the peculiar crisis in the discourse. Never before did I completely understand what Demosthenes meant by laying stress on delivery. You are to bring before you the venerable figure of the preacher; his blindness constantly recalling to your recollection old Homer, Ossian and Milton, and associating with his performance the melancholy grandeur of their geniuses; you are to imagine that you hear his slow, solemn, well accented enunciation, his voice of affecting trembling melody; you are to remember the pitch of passion and enthusiasm to which toe congregation were raised; and then the few minutes of portentous, death-like silence which reigned throughout the house; the preacher removing the white handkerchief from his aged face, (even yet wet with the recent torrent of his wars,) and slowly stretching forth the palsied hand which holds it, begins die sentence, 'Socrates died like a philosopher then pausing, raising his other hand, pressing them both clasped together, with warmth and energy to his breast, lifting his 'sightless balls' to heaven, and pouring his whole soul into his tremulous voice 'but Jesus Christm like a God !' If he had been indeed and in truth an angel of light, the effect could scarcely have been more divine.

"Whatever I had been able to conceive of the sublimely of Massillon, or the force of Bourdaloue, had fallen far short of the power which I felt from the delivery of this simple sentence. The blood, which just before had rushed in a hurricane upon my brain, and in the violence and agony of my feelings, had held my whole system in suspense, now ran back into my heart, with a sensation which I cannot describe.. kind of shuddering, delicious horror 1 The paroxysm of blended piety and indignation to which I had been transported, subsided into the deepest self abasement, humility and adoration. I had just been lacerated ana dissolved by sympathy for our Saviour as a fellow creature; but now, with fear and trembling. I adored him as a God!'

"If this description give you the impression that this incomparable minister had anything of shallow, theatrical trick in his manner, it does him great injustice. I have never seen, in any orator, such a union of simplicity and majesty. He has not a gesture, an attitude or an accent, to which he does not seem forced, by the sentiment which he is expressing. His mind is too serious, too earnest, too solicitous, and, al the same time, too dignified to stoop to artifice. Although as for removed from ostentation as a man can be, yet it is clear from the train, the style and substance of his thoughts, that he is not only a very polite scholar, but a man of extensive and profound erudition. I was forcibly struck with a short yet beautiful character which he drew of our learned and amiable countryman, Sir Robert Boyle. He spoke of him as if ' his noble mind had, even before death, divested herself of all influence from his frail tabernacle of flesh', and called him. in his peculiarly emphatic and impressive manner, 1 a pure intelligence: the link between men and angels.'

" This man has been before my imagination almost ever since. A thousand times, as I rode along, I dropped the reins of my bridle, stretched forth my hand, and tried to imitate his quotation from Rousseau ; a thousand times I abandoned the attempt in despair, and felt persuaded that his peculiar manner and power arose from an energy of soul, which nature Could give, but which no human being could justly copy. In short, he seems to be altogether a being of a former age, or of a totally different nature from the rest of men.

"Guess my surprise when, on my arrival at Richmond, and mentioning the name of this man, I found not one person who had ever before heard of James Waddell! Is it not strange that such a genius as this, so accomplished a scholar, so divine an orator, should be permitted to languish and die in obscurity, within eighty miles of the metropolis of Virginia ?"

Daniel Sheffey was born at Frederick, Md., in 1770. He was bred a shoemaker in his father's shop. His educational was inconsiderable, but possessing an ardent desire for knowledge, he passed his leisure in reading, and became particularly fond of astronomy and mathematics. Arriving at manhood, he traveled on foot, with his " kit" on his back, to Winchester. From thence he walked through the Valley of Virginia, earning sufficient money by his trade to pay his expenses, until he arrived in Wythe county. Here he commenced his trade as a shomaker. The novelty and originality of his character, and the flashes of genius which enlivened his conversation, often compelled his new friends to look on the eccentric youth as a wonder. Becoming popular, he studied law in the office of Alex. Smyth, and was admitted to the Bar, and obtained business. After some years he located in Staunton, where he enjoyed a lucrative practice. He often represented Augusta in the House of Delegates, and in 1811, was elected to Congress. His speech in favor of a renewal of the charter of the first United States Bank was a masterly combination of sound judgment and conclusive facts; for three hours profound silence reigned, and all were astonished at his talents. He opposed the war of 1812. On one occasion he gave John Randolph, whose bitter sarcasm few could withstand, a severe retort In commenting on a speech of Mr. Sheffey, he said, " the shoemaker ought not to go beyond his last" In an instant, Mr. Sheffey retorted, " If that gentleman had ever been oa die shoemaker's bench, he never would have left it"

Mr. Sheffey was a plain man; his accent German, his pronunciation not agreeable, yet the most refined audience always paid him profound attention. He died in Staunton in 1830, leaving no son, but five daughters, one of whom married Rev. £. Boyden, of Albemarle, and they have a large family; a second, Oliver P. Baldwin, of Cleveland. Ohio, and they have numerous children, a third, Serena, married Hon. John F. Lewis, and they have a number of children, the eldest son of J. F. Lewis, Hon. D. S. Lewis, being United States Attorney for the Western District of Virginia in 1882, and a daughter, who married Mr. Davis, of Lewisburg, West Virginia. The remaining daughters of Hon. D. Sheffey are Ann E. and Mrs. Celestine Hanson, widow of the late Capt. Hanson, U. S. A,

This regards JOHN MOFFETT, born abt 14 Oct 1791 in Augusta Co., VA to 29 Oct 1855 (buried at Falling Spring Presbyterian Church Cemetery in Augusta Co., VA).
He first married Elizabeth McCleary Tate (born abt 1794 to 28 Jun 1831) (died at age 21) married on 5 Nov 1823 in Augusta Co., VA and had 3 kids: 1) James Tate Moffett on 6 Jun 1828 to 29 Nov 1849 2) Mary Jane P. Moffett on 11 Aug 1824 to 23 Dec 1893. She married Charles B. McClung on 11 Jun 1846 and had 4 children (John M., James J., Margaret Elizabeth and Chas B., Jr.) 3) John Tate Moffett 25 Nov 1825. He married Sally G. Keen on 12 Dec 1850

His 2nd wife was Margaret Gilleland, 10 Dec 1799 to 12 Mar or May 1857 (buried at Falling Spr. Cem.). They married 30 Apr 1835 in Rockbridge Co., VA and had 6 children: 1) still born 1836, buried at Falling Spring Presbyterian Church Cemetery, Augusta Co., VA 2) John G. Moffett on 17 Jun 1837 to August 1837 (buried at Falling Spr. Cem.). 3) Margaret Elizabeth Moffett on 6 Jun 1839 to 14 May 1843 (buried at Falling Spr. Cem.). 4) William Barclay Moffett on 21 Dec 1840 to 1 July 1901, buried at New Providence Presby. Cemetery in Rockbridge Co., VA 5) John Stuart Moffett, 3rd Sgt on 21 Jun 1842 to 21 Jul 1861 in the Civil War 6) Rachel Louisa Moffett on 25 Sep 1844 to 10 Sep 1847 (buried at Falling Spr. Cem.).
This additional data submitted by Linda Pagter

While conducting evangelistic services at Waynesboro, Augusta County, Va., Capt. D. B. Strouse, of Salem, Va., was taken ill in the pulpit and died on the next day, December 7, 1915. He was born in Augusta County July 26, 1838, his parents being Dr. Peter and Mrs. Catherine Strouse. Captain Strouse first attended the common schools of his county and then became a student of Roanoke College, Salem, Va. ; but when the war began he laid aside his studies and enlisted for service in the Confederate army, becoming lieutenant of Company A, 30th Battalion of Virginia Cavalry. Long before the end, by promotions and deaths, he was left in full command of his company, which position he held and honored by many acts of bravery and gallantry until the surrender at Appomattox. His term of active service in the war covered a period of three years and six months, during which time he was never wounded or captured, nor was he ever seriously sick.

At the close of the war he returned home and on June 14, 1865, married Miss Lucy A. Evans, of Roanoke County, Va., who accompanied him to Lexington, where he took the law course at Washington and Lee University. He then returned to Salem and there practiced law with remarkable success for over twenty years. He retired from practice when he became interested in the promotion of several industrial corporations and was made President of the two most important.

About twenty years ago Captain Strouse caught a new vision of life and its mission, so he gave up his secular business pursuits and became an evangelist, freely giving his time and talent to the Churches in rural and out-of-the-way places. He took no pay for his services, not even for his expenses, which were often great, as he covered the field from Maine to Mexico and from the Great Lakes to Key West, Fla. So in divine hands he became instrumental in the salvation of thousands of souls. He was also largely interested in foreign missions, contributing liberally thereto; and as monuments to his zeal there are today as many as four Bible schools and mission homes and hospitals in the Orient—one each in China, Japan, Korea, and India.

Besides his wife, he left a son and a daughter.
"Confederate Veterans 1916" Submitted by Tina Easley

H. B. Bosserman, son of Jacob Eve (Hanger) Bosserman, was born in Augusta county, Virginia, January 5, 1841. His parents lived and died in that state. When the war came up, Mr. Bosserman lived where the active scenes of the great conflict was going on. He enlisted in 25th Virginia Infantry and served two months when he was taken prisoner at the battle of Rich Mountain. He was paroled by Gen. McClelland, and exchanged that fall. Those were times when much of the supplies for the people were made at home, and the looms and spinning whells were brought into use. Mr. Bosserman was a very fine mechanic, and the time of his exchange was sick for some time. As soon as his health would permit, he started to join his regiment. But he was well acquainted with them as a workman, and they vouched for his good conduct and loyalty to the Confederacy and he was permitted to remain at home the rest of the war, making spinning wheels, looms, and other necessary articles. In 1869 he and Miss Lucretia M. Ludwick were united in wedlock. They have one child dead, and two living: Eugenia (Hargrove) and Emmett Guy. He left Virginia in 1872, went to Texas, then to Illinois, and came to McDonald county where he is doing a good business.
(Source: "History of McDonald County, Missouri", by Judge J. A. Sturges, 1897 - Submitted by Linda Rodriguez)

Julian Meade.
In addition to the making of a large amount of Virginia history, the Meade family also furnished one of the prominent writers for its preservation, Bishop Meade, who in his "Old Churches" and other works, has rendered a most valuable service. The American ancestor, Andrew Meade, came from England and founded a family that has ever been prominent in every department of Virginia life. Meades were soldiers in the revolution; were officers serving with General Washington and General Lincoln, and enjoying as well their personal friendship. The war of 1812 also found them in official rank and in the war between the states they were found wearing both the gray and the blue. In the professions they have also been eminent— medicine, the law and the church claiming many of the name, north and south. In the latter section the principal seat of the family was in and around Richmond, but descendants of the emigrant are found in every section. This particular branch of the family is now represented in Danville, Virginia, by Julian Meade, son Dr. Hodijah Baylies Meade, whose short, though useful and brilliant life, was spent in the practice of his profession, amid the scenes of war, and after peace came to Danville.
Andrew Meade came to Virginia from New York, arriving in that state from England prior to the year 1700. He married, and came to Virginia, settling at the head of navigation on the Nansemond river. He was for many years a member of the house of burgesses, a judge of the courts and senior colonel of Virginia militia. His son David inherited his estate at the death of Andrew Meade in 1745. David Meade married, in 1729, Susanna Everard, and had a son Everard, who was educated at Harrow, England. He served in the revolutionary war, holding the rank of general by commission, attached to the staff of General Lincoln. His brother, Richard Kidder Meade, was the father of Bishop Meade, of previous mention. General Everard Meade married Mary, daughter of John Thornton.
Hodijah Meade, son of General Everard and Mary (Thornton) Meade, was an extensive landowner and planter; an officer in the war of 1812-14; a Democrat in politics, and a devout churchman. He married Jane, daughter of Thomas Rutherfoord, of Richmond. Children: William Everard, Thomas Rutherfoord, Joseph Peyton, John Rutherfoord, Edward, Benjamin, Edwin, Alexander, Hodijah Baylies, Sallie Rutherfoord, Jane Maria, Edmonia.
Dr. Hodijah Baylies Meade, son of Hodijah and Jane (Rutherfoord) Meade, was born in Amelia county, Virginia, March 2, 1838, died in Danville, Virginia, in 1875. He was a graduate of Virginia Military Institute, the University of Virginia, and the medical department of the University of Pennsylvania, receiving from the latter the degree of Doctor of Medicine. He finished at the University of Pennsylvania about the time of the outbreak of hostilities between the states and at once joined the Confederate army, serving as both field and hospital surgeon under different commanders until the surrender at Appomattox. He spared not himself and his four years of professional service, privation and overwork undermined his constitution and contributed largely to his early demise. After the war ended he located in Danville and there practiced his profession until his death, twelve years later. He was a man of brilliant mind, deep learning, loved his profession and followed it devotedly. He possessed a charming personality and great consideration for others, these being marked characteristics. He married, in 1865, Mary Opie, died October 21, 1893, daughter of Hiram Opie, of Staunton, Virginia, who moved from Jefferson county, Virginia, to that city to educate his children. He was a son of Hierone Lindsay Opie, of Jefferson county, Virginia, a direct descendant of Right Rev. David Lindsay, D. D., Bishop of Ross, and American representative of the Church of England in the early part of the seventeenth century. Bishop Lindsay was a descendant of Robert II, of Scotland, through the Princess Catherine, daughter of the king, who married David Lindsay, earl of Crawford. Hanson Lindsay (2) Opie represented Clark and Jefferson counties in the Virginia senate for several years. He met his death by accident while engaged in drilling a company which he was organizing to enter the Confederate army, was thrown from his horse and fatally injured. He married Nannie Locke, of Scotch descent, who bore him four children, one yet living, Dr. Thomas Opie, of Baltimore, Maryland.
Children of Dr. H. B. Meade: Julian, of whom further; Edmund Baylies, born December 3, 1867, now in the real estate and insurance business in Danville; Eugene, born in 1869, died at the age of twenty-six years; Randolph, born in 1871, now a leaf tobacco dealer of Danville.
Julian Meade, eldest son of Dr. Hodijah Baylies and Mary (Opie) Meade, was born in Augusta county, near Staunton, Virginia, November 4, 1865. He was educated in the public schools, and in several private schools of Danville, overcoming all difficulties that rendered it difficult to obtain an education, and finally was graduated in all branches of the law from the University of Virginia, class of 1891. The law was his personal preference as a profession and his preparation for practice was most thorough; while he absorbed with interest all branches of study, history, special and general metaphysics were branches he found most helpful in fitting him for his life work. After leaving the university, he at once began practice in Danville, Virginia, and during the time which has since elapsed he has become one of the leading men in his profession in that city. He has a large practice, both corporate and private, in all state and federal courts of his district. He is a member of the law associations of his county and state, and of the Protestant Episcopal Church of the Epiphany of Danville. Devoted to his profession, he has formed no ties that would interfere with absolute independence in practice, but has with a public-spirited interest contributed his full share to the upbuilding of his city. His days "off duty" are spent in the sports of forest and stream, hunting and fishing during the open season being his favorite recreations. True to the strictest code of ethics of his profession and guided by the principles of truth and honor, Mr. Meade has gained and holds the respect of brethren of the profession, while as a citizen he has been true to the best traditions of his distinguished family. He is connected with the management of both Country clubs of Danville, the Tuscarora Club, and with his entire family communes with the congregation of the Church of the Epiphany, the only Episcopal church in Danville.
Mr. Meade married, September 4, 1895, Bessie Edmunds Bouldin, born in Danville, Virginia, in 1872, daughter of Edwin E. and Lucy Lyne (Edmunds) Bouldin. For nearly half a century, 1865-1912, Edwin E. Bouldin was a prominent lawyer of Danville. During the entire war, 1861-65, he served as captain of the Charlotte County Troop, Ninth Virginia Cavalry, rendering valiant and efficient service. The troop led by Captain Bouldin made the last charge of the war, while the terms of surrender were being considered, and returned from the charge with two brass guns wrested from Sheridan's troopers. At one period the command of the regiment was entrusted to Captain Bouldin, who as its commander acquitted himself with honor. His father was a congressman from Virginia prior to the war. The only child of Julian and Bessie E. (Bouldin) Meade, is Edwin Baylies Meade, born October 30, 1896, now a student in the Danville School for Boys.
(Encyclopedia of Virginia Biographies, Vol. IV. Publ. 1915. Transcribed by Chris Davis)

Thomas Moorman Parkins, M. D.
Dr. Thomas Moorman Parkins, a distinguished physician and prominent citizen of Staunton, Virginia, comes of Quaker ancestry on his father's side and old Virginia stock on his mother's. His paternal grandfather was Nathaniel Parkins, a farmer and miller of Frederick county, Virginia, and one of the organizers and the first president of the Valley Turnpike Company, which built the famous old turnpike and toll road between Winchester and Staunton, Virginia.
John Henry Parkins, father of Dr. Thomas M. Parkins, was a native of Frederick county, Virginia, where he was born in 1829. He was a farmer and for many years the agent for the McCormick reaper in Western Virginia. In 1876 he was selected by Cyrus H. McCormick to take charge of the exhibit of reapers at the Centennial Exposition in Philadelphia. He later gave up his agency for Mr. McCormick and established a foundry in Staunton at the close of the war in partnership with a Mr. Nelson, the firm taking contracts for all kinds of iron construction. Mr. Parkins took an active part in the civil war and served in Imboden's command, where he was in charge of the commissary department. He married Ella Moorman, a daughter of Thomas Terrell and Rose Belle (Martin) Moorman, of Lynchburg, Virginia, where she was born. Mr. Moorman was descended on the maternal side from the old Virginia family of Clarke, a representative of which was a member of the Virginia house of burgesses in pre-revolutionary times, the legislative body which enjoyed the distinction of being the first in America of which the members were freely chosen by the people. Mr. and Mrs. Parkins Sr. died respectively in the years 1901 and 1912, and to them were born seven children, as follows: 1. Nathan, a graduate of the collegiate and law departments of the University of Virginia and a practicing lawyer of Washington, D. C., until the time of his father's death, when he returned to the home place and has since resided there and conducted the farm. 2. John Henry, Jr., now a chemist in the state agricultural department at Richmond, Virginia. 3. Rosabelle, now Mrs. Ernest Keesee, of Richmond. 4. Christopher V., a farmer of Augusta county, Virginia. 5. and 6. Mary E. and Berta, both residing on the home place. 7. Thomas Moorman, of whom further.
Dr. Thomas Moorman Parkins received his general education at the Augusta Military Academy at Fort Defiance, Virginia, where he remained ten years, from 1876 to 1886, after which he remained at home until the year 1891, when he entered the College of Physicians and Surgeons at Baltimore, Maryland. From this institution he graduated with the class of 1894 and obtained his degree of Doctor of Medicine. From this date his advance to the head of his profession has been at once rapid and sure and he is now one of the staff at the King's Daughters' Hospital in Staunton. He is also occupying at present the office of coroner of the city. He is president of the Augusta County Medical Society, and has, indeed, held all the offices in connection with it. He is also a member of State and American Medical associations. Besides his professional connections. Dr. Parkins is vice-president of the Mount Clifton Orchards Company and has several other business interests.
Dr. Parkins married, April 19, 1899, Gertrude Alby, a daughter of John W. and Augusta V. Alby, granddaughter of Judge David Fultz. Mrs. Parkins' father was a leading business man in Staunton prior to his death in 1895, his business being clothing; he served the city in the capacity of councilman for many years; he was also prominent in musical and church circles and was the conductor of the choir in the First Presbyterian Church there for a long time. His musical ability has been inherited by his daughter, Mrs. Parkins, who is now a member of the choir of the First Presbyterian Church. To Dr. and Mrs. Parkins has been born a daughter, Virginia Parkins, now a student in the Mary Baldwin Seminary of Staunton.
(Encyclopedia of Virginia Biographies, Vol. IV. Publ. 1915. Transcribed by Chris Davis)

Walter S. Whitmore, M. D., a distinguished physician and citizen of Staunton, Augusta county, Virginia, is of Virginia parentage, and was born October 14, 1873, a son of Jacob A. and Louise (Rubush) Whitmore, both natives of Augusta county, where the father was a prosperous farmer.
Dr. Whitmore obtained the elementary portion of his education at the local public schools and later took a three years course at the Augusta Military Academy at Fort Defiance, Virginia, and attended for one year the academic department of the University of Virginia. Upon the completion of his general education, he took a position as teacher in the Rockingham High School, where he remained for three years. At this time, having made up his mind to the profession of medicine, he entered the medical department of the University of Virginia, graduating from there in 1901 with the degree of M. D. He remained two years after graduation with the University Hospital at Charlottesville, Virginia, and later went to St. Vincent's Hospital at Norfolk to gain the requisite experience. He then went to Mount Sidney, Virginia, where he established himself in practice, and continued there with success for seven years. Perceiving the larger field which awaited him in the city of Staunton, he removed to that center, where he has been engaged in a highly successful private practice besides holding the position of surgeon for the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad. Since the year 1911 Dr. Whitmore has been associated with Dr. J. B. Catlett in the founding and operating of the new Staunton Sanitarium. Dr. Whitmore is associated with a number of medical societies, being a member of the Augusta County, the State of Virginia and the American Medical associations, and the vice-president of the former. He is also a member of the Railway Surgeons Association and the Alumni Association of the University of Virginia. He is the present president of the Board of Health, and since July, 1913, city physician. He gives a great deal of time and attention to civic affairs generally and is an active member on the Democratic committees. He is a member of the Masonic order and of those of the Elks and Eagles. Dr. Whitmore is unmarried.
[Source: Encyclopedia of Virginia Biographies - Vol. IV. Transcribed by Chris Davis]

Milton Buell Coffman, M. D.
The first mention of a Coffman in the records of Augusta county, Virginia, is under date of May 21, 1747, when Martin Coffman was appointed one of the appraisers of the estate of Abraham Drake. On November 20, 1770, Elizabeth Coffman is named administratrix of Henry Coffman, and ten days later the estate of Henry Coffman was appraised by Abraham Bird, Jacob Miller, etc. William Coffman benefitted by the "petition of George Washington in behalf of himself and the officers and soldiers who first embarked in the service of this colony, praying that the 200,000 acres given to them by Governor Dinwiddie by proclamation, 19th February, 1754, may be allotted in one or more surveys on the Monongahela, at a place commonly called Nicholas Knotts on the New river, otherwise called the Great Canhawa from the great falls to Sandy Creek, otherwise Great Tatraroy." This petition was granted by order of council, December 15, 1769, and William Coffman's name appears in the list of privates in the letter of George Washington, December 23, 1772, giving public information as to the distribution of the said lands.
(I) Dr. Milton Ruell Coffman is a grandson of Jacob Coffman, born in Augusta county in 1825, and died in Newport News, Virginia, in 1912, at the age of eighty-seven years. His family dated in Virginia from 1716, resident for most of the time in Augusta county, where Jacob Coffman was a farmer during his active years. He and his wife, a Miss Funk, were the parents of ten children, of whom five are living at this time: Charles, lives in West Virginia; George, a resident of Mexico; Edward, resides in Virginia; Aldine, lives in Virginia; and Anna, married Alexander Wallace, and lives in Seattle, Washington.
(II) Cyrus Milton Coffman, son of Jacob Coffman, was born in Augusta county. Virginia, and met an accidental death in 1884, one year after the birth of his second child. He was the proprietor of a saw mill, and it was in the pursuit of his business that he encountered the accident that caused his death. He married Alice Virginia Cocke, born in Richmond, Virginia, now living in Richmond with her son, Dr. Milton Buell Coffman. She is a daughter of Benjamin Cocke, born in Surry county, Virginia, in 1831, died in 1891, his American ancestor having come to Virginia with a royal grant to land in Surry county. Cyrus Milton Coffman had two sons: Benjamin, a mechanical engineer, associated with the Southern railway, and Dr. Milton Buell. of whom further.
(III) Dr. Milton Buell Coffman, younger of the two children of Cyrus Milton and Alice Virginia (Cocke) Coffman, was born in Augusta county, Virginia, January 28, 1883, and when he was four years of age his mother moved to Richmond, Virginia, his father's death having occurred when he was but one year old. In this city Dr. Coffman was educated, graduating from the high school in 1898, and after spending three years in business entered the Medical College of Virginia, afterward changing the scene of his professional studies to the Hahnemann Medical College of Chicago (Philadelphia). He was graduated Doctor of Medicine in the class of 1906, having pursued, besides the general medical course, studies that qualified him as a specialist in diseases of the nose, throat and ear. Returning to Richmond, in this city Dr. Coffman became a general practitioner, and so continued with excellent success for five years. Since 1911 Dr. Coffman has devoted himself to specialized effort in treatment of ailments of the nose, throat and ear, in which he is recognizedly proficient. He has attained to reputation and position in the medical world of his city, is identified with various medical associations, and has experienced favorable results in general and special practice. He is a professional man of deep learning, wide interests, and many friends, and is appreciated socially in Richmond as well as professionally. He fraternizes with the Masonic order, and is a communicant of the Leigh Street Baptist Church.
Dr. Coffman married, in Richmond, August 17, 1910, Mary Virginia Ryall, born in Richmond, daughter of John M. Ryall, an attaché of the revenue department of the United States.
(Source: Encyclopedia of Virginia Biographies - Vol. IV. Transcriber: Chris Davis)

Samuel Pack  Jr.   1760-1833  born in Jamestown, Augusta Co VA died in Boyd Co., VA.
Samuel Pack settled opposite the mouth of Bluestone on the northeast side of New River in what is now Summers County, West Virginia, sometime prior to December 3, 1787 then he received a land grant of 106 acres. In fact he was living on or rear this tract on  Oct. 10.  1774 when he served as a private at the Battle of Point Pleasant, often considered the first battle of the Revolutionary War.
In building an estate amounting to sizable proportions in lands and slaves, one of Samuel's land purchases had great future import. On Aug 20, 1799 Samuel purchased 450 acres in two tracts on Brush Creek from John Hutchinson and wife Rebecca. As a young man Loammi, along with his brother Anderson, was sent up to manage this highland farm adjacent land holdings of Cottrell Lively. It is easy to imagine how neighbors on the frontier quickly became friends and friends married.
Source:   "Lively's of America 1690-1968" Compiled by Dr. John F. Vallentine
Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack]

Genealogy Trails logo

Copyright © Genealogy Trails