Allen, Robert, (1794 - 1859) (brother of John James Allen), a Representative from Virginia; born in the village of Woodstock, Shenandoah County, Va., July 30, 1794; attended the rural schools, and Dickinson College at Carlisle 1811-1812; was graduated from Washington College (now Washington and Lee University), Lexington, Va., in 1815; engaged in agricultural pursuits in Shenandoah County; studied law; was admitted to the bar and commenced practice in Woodstock; prosecuting attorney of Shenandoah County; member of the State senate in 1821-1826; elected as a Jacksonian to the Twentieth, Twenty-first and Twenty-second Congresses (March 4, 1827-March 3, 1833); chairman, Committee on Accounts (Twenty-second Congress); moved to Bedford County and continued agricultural pursuits; died in Mount Prospect, Va., December 30, 1859; interment in Longwood Cemetery, Liberty (now Bedford City), Va. [Virginia Biographies (Source: Biographical Directory of the US Congress 1774-Present]
William Bandy was a prominent citizen in the affairs of Vermilion County (Illinois) at an early day. He was born in Bedford County, Va., and when a boy of sixteen came to Vermilion County, where he lived until his death. William and Washington Bandy came with their foster parents, making the trip in a four-horse team wagon, taking thirty-six days to come from their old home to Danville, Illinois. The wagon was filled with household effects and provisions, leaving but room for the family. In it their beds were made at night and they took their meals by the side of the road. When they reached Danville, December 13, 1828, there were but nine families living here. There was no cabin for them to rent, while they were providing a shelter, but they at last succeeded in securing a temporary abiding place in a log house which already contained two families. This building was 16x16 feet, and stood on the northwest corner of the square upon the present site of the First National Bank. Mr. Howell, the foster father of William and Washington Bandy, kept his family in this house until spring, because he could do no better.
The land office was at that time located at Palestine, ninety miles away. Mr. Howell went there right away to enter or purchase land, but could not do so because the officer in charge would not take the Virginia money which he offered in payment. After some delay, this difficulty was overcome and he entered 480 acres of land. He put four cabins up on this land, the principal one being that which was located one mile southeast of the public square. This house was made of rough logs with a puncheon floor, two windows and a door, with greased paper for use in the windows in the place of glass. The building was 16 ft. by 18 ft. and boasted window shutters of rived boards. An opening was made in the logs eight feet wide, and built out three feet, and this was lined with earth for a fireplace. The chimney was built outside six feet high and covered with mortar. This rude contrivance lasted for years and furnished enough heat for cooking and warming of the building in the winter.
The furniture was equally crude and homely. The bedstead was made of riven boards and set on wooden legs; the table was made in a like manner, only the legs were made higher. The family had brought two chairs whichwere given to the father and mother and the boys had to make stools for themselves to sit on. A tick was made which was filled with straw and another filled with feathers, and put on the bed. While game was plenty, and the family never lacked for meat, the groceries had to be brought in from Terre Haute and sometimes failed to be as plenty. After the cabin was built, water had to be carried 300 yards, until a well could be dug. Mr. Howell made a contract to get out 10,000 black walnut rails at twenty-five cents per hundred, and in the meanwhile he and the boys carried on the improvement of the farm. They broke the first timber land about Danville and raised some very fine corn which they were obliged to feed to their swine and sell the pork at from $1.00 to $1.50 per hundred. There was no market for the corn. The wage of a day's work was equal to ten or twelve pounds of salt pork or eight bushels of corn, or, from thirty-seven and a half to fifty cents in cash, and only the extra good workmen could command that price. William Bandy remained a member of this home until he was nineteen years old when he went into the Black Hawk war in Colonel I. R. Moore's regiment with Captain J. Palmer.
This regiment went first to Joliet to build a fort. Thence they went to Ottawa, and yet later William Bandy joined the United States Mounted Rangers, which comprised six companies. They found the dread scourge of cholera at Rock Island and many fell victims to it. This company finally returned and wintered southeast of Danville until in January they were ordered to the other side of the Illinois river, but there being no need of their further service they came back to their camp. They remained ready for duty all summer, reconnoitering in different sections until, in the fall of the year, they were discharged. Mr. Bandy, in company with Mr. Howell, began work as a carpenter, and that year built a house on what was called Sulphur Springs Place, about one mile southeast of the court house. In the following spring they built a flat boat upon which Mr. Bandy loaded great quantities of pork and took it to New Orleans. When he reached his destination he found an epidemic of cholera, and he waited only to sell enough to pay expenses when he came home, having left the rest of his pork to be sold by others. Two years later he had a letter from the man who undertook the sale, stating that it was all sold, and enclosing the price thereof in a draft on a Louisville bank.
Mr. Bandy built another boat and took another load of produce down the rivers, and continued these trips year after year excepting in the time of the Mexican war, when he abandoned the river until after its close. Later he furnished the Illinois Canal company with packet horses and also was a merchant in partnership with his father-in-law, William Murphy. He later had a hardware store, conducting the largest business of this kind in the county, for years. He spent the last years of his life in the real estate business. His first residence was on North street, east of Vermilion, where he had a half acre of ground. He was appointed as one of the commissioners to make the slack water of the Vermilion river, in 1835, but did not see it practical; later he was appointed marshal of the Eastern District of Illinois, but there being nothing which appealed to him in the office, he withdrew.
Mr. Bandy represented his township two terms as supervisor; he also served the city as president of the city council and as alderman. Mr. Bandy married Miss Harriet J. Murphy, in 1833. They were the parents of seven children. Mrs. Bandy died in 1872, and nine years later he married Mrs. Deborah (King) Johnson. (History of Vermilion County, Illinois By Lottie E. Jones Published In 1911) - Submitted by Barb Ziegenmeyer]
Wood Bouldin was born at "Golden Hills," Charlotte County, Virginia, January 20, 1811, son of Hon. Thomas Tyler Bouldin, and Ann (Lewis) Bouldin, his wife; his grandparents on the paternal side were Wood Bouldin and Johanna Tyler, sister of John Tyler, of revolutionary fame. His early youth was passed in Richmond, where he attended a school conducted by Mr. Turner. He afterwards was a student at New London Academy, in Bedford County, then under the charge of the Rev. Nicholas H. Cobbs, afterward the distinguished Bishop of Alabama. At this celebrated school he completed his academic studies, and on his return home, for a year taught a neighborhood school. He then removed to Halifax County, where he took up law studies [under the office preceptorship of the Hon. William Leigh, one of Virginia's greatest Jurists and who ever afterward cherished a genuine affection and admiration for his whilom pupil.
On coming to the bar, Mr. Bouldin found his capabilities taxed to the .utmost in settling the affairs of his father, and the extensive estate of Frederick Ross (for whom the elder Bouldin was the representative), which had been left greatly embarassed. In discharging these onerous duties, Mr. Bouldin established a high reputation for ability and integrity. He now settled at Charlotte Court House, where he practiced his profession with great success. In 1842, seeking a larger field, he removed to Richmond, where he entered into a law partnership with Robert C. Stanard, one of the most eminent lawyers of his day. He at once took his position in the front rank of the Richmond bar, and Grattan's Reports record many opinions which attest his ability and learning. In 1853 he purchased the fine plantation on Staunton River, on which John Randolph, of Roanoke, had resided, and here took up his residence, and practiced his profession in Charlotte, Halifax and Mecklenburg Counties.
When civil war was impending, Mr. Bouldin was made a delegate to the Virginia convention of 1861. Here he insisted that the state should never leave the Union until she had made every endeavor to settle the differences between the different sections of the country, and refused to vote for the secession ordinance until President Lincoln called upon Virginia for troops, when he cast his lot with his state. During the war, he was one of the most trusted leaders in the legislature. After the surrender of Gen. Lee, he did not indulge in vain regrets, but took a patriot's part in seeking to recover the state and its people from the destructive results of the war. In the great "capitol disaster" in Richmond, he was among those who were in the court room, and went down with the falling floors. He was extricated, as was believed, without serious injury, but his system had been severely shocked, and he sought a brief rest. In 1872 he was elected by the legislature to the Supreme Court of appeals, to succeed the Hon. William T Joynes, and, after much hesitation, he accepted, at the cost of considerable pecuniary sacrifice. His judicial career was short, his death occurring, at his home. October 10, 1876. "He exhibited a learning and grasp of intellect which placed him in the front rank of the great jurists who had adorned the Virginia bench." [Source: Encyclopedia of Virginia Biography; Edited by Lyon Gardiner Tyler; Publ. 1915; Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack.]
Burks, Edward C
Edward C. Burks was born in Bedford County, Virginia, May 20, 1821, came from a highly respectable family of Irish origin. In his boyhood he attended nine different schools, his education occupying all his time until he attained his majority. He was studying the classics when ten or eleven years of age. He attended several sessions of theNew London Academy, in Bedford county, under the superintendence of Henry L. Davies, and then of George E. Dabney, afterward a professor at Washington College (now Washington and Lee University). In 1839 he entered the last named institution, and was graduated there from in 1841, delivering the Cincinnati oration, the highest honor of the graduating class. Later the same year, he entered the law department of the University of Virginia, and was graduated in 1842. He at once entered upon the practice of his profession in Bedford and adjacent counties and steadily advanced in the estimation of both bench and bar. In December, 1876 he was elected by the legislature to the supreme court of appeals, and remained in that position for six years, when, the Readjuster party having come into power, a question was raised as to whether he had been elected for a full term or for an unexpired term, and it was decided against him, and he returned to his profession, with his office in Bedford City. He was one of the revisers of the code of Virginia of 1887, with Judge Staples and Maj. John W. Riely. He was a member of the House of Delegates in 1861-62, and a part of 1863 - the only political office he ever held and he declined a re-election. Washington and Lee University conferred upon him the degree of LL. D. In 1891 he was president of the Virginia State Bar Association, and that year delivered a most meritorious address, which was widely distributed. [Source: Encyclopedia of Virginia Biography; Edited by Lyon Gardiner Tyler; Publ. 1915; Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack.]
Clark, James, a Representative from Kentucky; born in Bedford County, Va., January 16, 1757; moved with his parents to Clark county, Ky.; studied law, was admitted to the bar, and commenced practice in Winchester, Ky., in 1797; member of the state house of representatives for several terms; appointed judge of the court of appeals in 1810; elected as a Clay Democrat to the Thirteenth and Fourteenth Congresses and served from March 4, 1813, until 1816, when he resigned; judge of the circuit court 1817-1824; reelected to the Nineteenth, Twentieth, and Twenty-first Congresses (March 4, 1825-March 3, 1831); elected governor of Kentucky in 1836; died in Frankfort, Ky., August 27, 1839. [A Biographical Congressional Directory of the 1st 1774 to the 62nd 1911 Congress; By United States Congress; Publ. 1918; Donated and Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack.]
Joseph Dickinson (11 April 1742 – 16 Sept. 1818) married Elizabeth Woolridge )
(11 Jan. 1744 – 7 Nov. 1818) on 6 March 1769. They were leading members of the historic Goose Creek Baptist Church which was located near their Goose Creek Plantation in Bedford County, Va..
William Dickinson, Sr. (7 Jan. 1772 – 8 Nov. 1881), son of Joseph and Elizabeth Dickinson, was born in Bedford County, Va.. William’s sister, Sally Dickinson, married Joel Shrewsbury.
William Dickinson, Jr. (1 Jan. 1798 – 8 Nov. 1881), son of William and Margaret Dickinson, Sr., married Margaret C. Gray of Bedford
County, Va.. She died in 1859.
They had four children: Mary, who married John A. E. Winkler; Jane, who married John A. Cobb; Henry C.; and John Quincy Dickinson. Henry C. Dickinson died in 1871.
John Quincy Dickinson (20 Nov. 1831 - ?), son of William and Margaret Dickinson, Jr., was a Confederate soldier. Born in Bedford County, Va., he volunteered and was assigned to Co. A of the 2nd Virginia Regiment of Cavalry. This company was commanded by his brother Captain Henry C. Dickinson. John Quincy Dickinson was a brave Confederate soldier and was in several severe battles. He was captured by the Yankees at Green Court House, Va. and sent as a prisoner-of-war to the Federal Prison at Fort Delaware. There he languished until the end of the War Between the States. During the war he had married Margaret Lewis, daughter of John D. Lewis, of Kanawha County, Va. (now W. Va.) where she was born in 1843. Among their six children were William, Mosby, John L., and Charles Cameron Dickinson. Both John L. and Charles C. Dickinson were graduates of Virginia Military Institute, the former in 1890 and the latter in 1896.
Charles Cameron Dickinson (23 Jan. 1876 – 15 Dec. 1963) of Charleston, W. Va. was the son of John Quincy and Margaret Dickinson. He was born on his father’s farm at Quincy, Cabin Creek District of Kanawha County, W. Va.. He married Nellie C. Alderson, who was born in Texas and then living in Lewisburg, W. Va., on 23 Oct. 1901. They had
a number of children, one of whom they named after grandfather, John Quincy Dickinson, II. [unknown source/contributor]
Philip Doddridge (1173-1832) a Representative from Virginia; born in Bedford County, Va., May 17, 1773; reared on a farm; moved to Brooke County, Va. (now West Virginia); attended school in Wellsburg (then Charleston), Va. (now West Virginia); studied law and was admitted to the bar in 1797; member, State senate, 1804-1809; member of the house of delegates of Virginia in 1815, 1816, 1822, 1823, 1828, and 1829; delegate to the Virginia constitutional convention in 1829; unsuccessful candidate for election in 1822 to the Eighteenth Congress and in 1824 to the Nineteenth Congress; elected as an Anti-Jacksonian candidate to the Twenty-first and Twenty-second Congresses and served from March 4, 1829, until his death in Washington, D.C., November 19, 1832; chairman, Committee on District of Columbia (Twenty-first and Twenty-second Congresses); interment in the Congressional Cemetery. (Source: Biographical Directory of the US Congress 1774-Present)
Dodge, William de Leftwich
William de Leftwich-Dodge, a native of Virginia, is descended from one of the oldest American families which located first in New England. This name has been traced to a remote period in England, and has been very widely distributed throughout the United States, beginning with the earliest settlement of the New England colonies. It has been distinguished in law and letters, in divinity, in war, in politics and in every leading activity of the human family, and is still identified with the progress of events in New England and other states. It has turned out from Harvard nineteen graduates, from Yale a dozen, from Dartmouth ten, from the University of Vermont ten, from Columbia College eight, Union College six, Andover Theological Seminary five, Bowdoin College five, University of Wisconsin five, Brown University three, Colby University three, Williams College two, and Middlebury College one. The records of the Colleges of Heraldry in England show that a coat-of-arms was granted to Peter Dodge, of Stockworth, county of Chester, in 1306, and later a patent to John Dodge, of Rotham, in the county of Kent, in 1546. It is declared that he was descended from Peter Dodge, of Stockworth. The name is found frequently in various sections of England, and in the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries there were Dodges of honorable character and connection in the counties of Cheshire, Kent, Norfolk and Down. On May 11, 1629, there sailed from the harbor of Yarmouth, England, the "Talbot," a vessel of three hundred tons, and the "Lion's Whelp," a neat and nimble ship of one hundred and twenty tons, and they arrived at Salem, Massachusetts, on the June 29 following. This marks the arrival of the first of the name of Dodge in America.
Tristram Dodge, described as "a fisherman formerly of New Foundland," was one of the fifteen heads of families who settled Block Island, politically described as the town of New Shoreham in the state of Rhode Island. He sailed from Taunton, Massachusetts, with the others in April, 1661, and received a grant of three acres of land, southeast of the harbor on Block Island. It is apparent that his occupation was that of a fisherman after his arrival there, as these small grants were made for the purpose of encouraging fisheries. He must have been a native of North England, as it is found that his sons came from that region near the river Tweed in 1667, and settled on Block Island, where they were made freemen, July 2, 1670. Tristram Dodge was made a freeman of the colony, May 4, 1664, and was a sergeant of the local militia in 1676. He was dead in 1720, at which time the records show his estate as intestate.
William Dodge, fourth son of Tristram Dodge, was made a freeman in July, 1670, in New Shoreham. He married Sarah, daughter of Peter and Mary George. Their son, Samuel Dodge, born September 9, 1691, settled about 1718 at Cow Neck, in the town of Hempstead, on Long Island. His will proved March 25, 1761, names his wife Elizabeth and several sons and daughters. The second son. Jeremiah Dodge, was born in May, 1716, and engaged in business in New York City. In 1745 a prayer meeting was held in his house, which resulted in the organization of the First Baptist Church in New York City. In 1753 this body occupied a rigging loft on William street, and purchased a lot on John street in 1760, on which a church was subsequently erected. Jeremiah Dodge married, October 6, 1737, Margaret Vanderbilt, daughter of John and Margaret Vanderbilt, and descended from Aert Van Der Bilt, who lived in Utrecht, Holland. Jan Aertson (that is son of Aert) Van Der Bilt, came to America and was residing in New York as early as 1650. After 1663 he removed to Flatbush, and about thirty years later to Bergen, New Jersey, where he died February 2, 1705.
John Dodge, eldest child of Jeremiah and Margaret (Vanderbilt) Dodge, was born February 22, 1739, probably in New York, and died April 13, 1816. He was a clergyman of the Baptist church located at Pleasant Valley, Dutchess county, New York. He married (third) October 13, 1777, Keziah Newcomb, born November 7, 1758, died February 1. 1814. By his three wives he had sixteen children, all but four being children of the third wife.
The ninth of these, Cyrenus Newcomb Dodge, was born August 13, 1794, and died February 14, 1863. He married, January 1, 1817, Margaret Dodge, born October 23, 1787, died February 23, 1863, senior daughter of Jeremiah (2) and Sarah (Frost) Dodge, and granddaughter of Jeremiah (1) Dodge, above mentioned. He was among the first founders of the First Baptist Church in New York. Children of Cyrenus Newcomb Dodge: Sarah J., born October, 1817, married Charles B. Knudsen; Margaret, died two weeks old; Margaret E., born March 25, 1822, married Joseph F. Florentine; William ., mentioned below.
William Miner Dodge, youngest child of Cyrenus Newcomb Dodge, was born September 22, 1824, in New York City, and lived a long and useful life. While successfully engaged in business, he was fond of art and poetry, and during his school days exhibited considerable artistic talent. Of indomitable energy and optimistic nature, he compelled success with every undertaking, and was very kindly and thoughtful of others. From early life, until his death, he was a member of the Baptist church. In the early part of his life he was a ship owner of Lynchburg, Virginia, and from 1870 to 1880, resided in Chicago, engaged in the insurance business. In 1881 he removed to Brooklyn, New York, and died June 2, 1904, at Bryn Mawr Park, Yonkers, New York. He was often wont to quote poetry, and the following was one of his favorite stanzas: "In youth's early morning; in manhood's firm pride; Let this be our motto, our footsteps to guide. In storm or in sunshine, whatever assail. We'll onward and conquer, and never say fail."
He married (first) September 6, 1848, Susan M. Hopkins, born February 23, 1825, at Bellefonte, Pennsylvania, died August 7, 1853. He married (second) February 11, 1857, Emma Webb Sowers, born January 8, 1836, in Clarke county, Virginia, died July 29, 1864, at Lynchburg, Virginia. He married (third) May 16, 1866, Mary de Leftwich, a daughter of Rev. M. de Leftwich; she is now living in a historic building formerly a convent, in Nettuno, the birthplace of Nero, thirty miles from Rome, Italy. She is a painter, giving attention chiefly to portraits. She studied art in Munich, and received numerous medals. The only child of the first marriage, Edward Sanderson, died when five months old. Children of the second marriage: Mary Sowers, born November 1, 1857; Margaret, February 6, 1859; Emma Kerfoot, June 8, 1860. Children of the third marriage were: William de Leftwich, mentioned below; Annie de Leftwich, born May 15, 1870. in Chicago: and Robert E. Lee, September 29, 1872, at La Grange, a suburb of Chicago.
William de Leftwich-Dodge was born March 9, 1867, in Liberty, Bedford county, Virginia, and inherited from his mother a rich artistic talent. In youth he attended the public schools of Chicago and Brooklyn, and also of Munich, Bavaria. He was also a student at the Brothers School in Paris, France. He began to receive lessons in the rudiments of art from his mother at the age of fifteen years. In 1881 he accompanied her, with the other children, to Munich, where she engaged in the study of art, and became a portrait painter of that place. He became a student in the Colasrissi School of Drawing from Life in Paris under Prof. Raphael Collin; after a rigid examination he passed number one among five hundred applicants for admission to the Ecole des Beaux Arts, Paris, under GÃ¨roeme. When but seventeen years of age, he painted "The death of Minnehaha," which received a gold medal at an American exhibition in 1889, and second and third prizes, and one first prize at Ecole des Beaux Arts. This painting was first sold for three thousand dollars and subsequently for five thousand dollars. It inspired a German composer to write a symphony on the death of Minnehaha. In 1889 he received third medal at the Paris Exhibition, and exhibited paintings in the Paris Salon in that and the following year. He also gave exhibitions in American art galleries in 1890. Few American artists have been awarded as many prizes at foreign exhibitions as Mr. Dodge. His famous picture "David and Goliah" [sic] painted in Paris, was burned at the Old Guard Armory in New York. He painted the famous panorama of the great Chicago fire, which was exhibited for many years in that city. In 1892 he again went abroad to continue his studies in Paris. In 1897 his picture "Ambition" was exhibited there, and in 1901 he gave a series of exhibitions of his work in New York City, Chicago and St. Louis. Since that time he has been industriously at work in his studio in New York City, and has just completed a commission from the Panama Pacific International Exposition. He received the Chicago World's Fair medal in 1893. In that year he painted the dome of the Administration Building of the World's Columbian Exposition, and has since executed mural paintings, among which may be named the Northwest Corner Pavilion of the Library of Congress, which includes the painting "Ambition," above named; ceilings in private apartments of the Hotel Waldorf-Astoria in 1895; ceilings in the country home of Pierre Lorillard, Esq., 1899; frieze and entrances, Cafe Martin, New York, 1901; entrance, lunettes and curtain, Majestic Theatre, Boston; Keith's Theatre, 1902; frieze 180 by six feet in the lobby of King Edward Hotel, Toronto; Empire Theatre, New York, 1903; four paintings in lobby of Hotel Astor, New York, 1904; one hundred and thirty feet of frieze in Hotel Devon, New York; Union Exchange Bank, New York, all gilding and color scheme of ground floor and mural painting, 1905; ceilings in residence of Webb Horton, Middletown, New York; twelve mural paintings in the steamship "City of Cleveland"; east wall of cafe Hotel Algonquin, New York; mural paintings in Court House, Syracuse, New York; all mosaic designs for main lobby, Hall of Records, New York; four ceilings in auditorium, Hotel Annex, Chicago, 1906; Academy of Music, Brooklyn, all interior decorations, ten mural paintings, 1908; twelve large paintings in Cafe de L'Opere, New York, 1910; interior decorations, Winter Garden, New York; three mural paintings and color scheme, Folies Bergere, New York; Lowe's Theatre, New York; twenty-two mural paintings, steamship "City of Detroit"; fifteen mural paintings for steamship "Bee and See," of Detroit; eight panels for the residence of Prof. Michael Pupin, at Norfolk, Connecticut; eight panels in steamships for Holland & Harmsworth, on the Delaware river. Mr. Dodge is a member of the Players Club and Fencers Club and the Virginians of New York City.
He married, March 31, 1897, Fanny Pryor, daughter of Hon. Roger A. Pryor, of Virginia and New York, judge of the Supreme Court of New York, and his wife, Sarah Agnes Rice. The latter is the author of a "History of Jamestown, Virginia," and other works, illustrated by Mr. Dodge. Mrs. Dodge was born December 24, 1868, at Petersburg, Virginia, and is the mother of two children: Roger Pryor, born January 21, 1898, in Paris, and Sarah Pryor, July 14, 1901, in New York City. [Source: Encyclopedia of Virginia Biography, Vol. IV - Transcribed by Genealogy Trails Transcription Team Member Chris Davis]
Franklin, Hon. James
Was born inPittsylvania County, Virginia, on March 1, 1815, the son of Edward and Elizabeth (Cook) Franklin. His father died in 1860, and his mother has been many years dead. He married in Bedford County, Virginia on October 6, 1840 with Rev. Kennedy uniting him in wedlock with Emma S. Leftwich. She was born in Bedford County, March 30, 1820, the daughter of Rev. William and Sally Leftwich. Benjamin Franklin, grandfather of James, settled in Prince Edward county, Virginia, in colonial days.
James Franklin left the parental home when but sixteen years of age, since when his honorable and busy life has been devoted to commercial and banking pursuits, and public affairs. He was several years deputy sheriff of Pittsylvania county. Removed, in 1848, to Lynchburg; was engaged there in a mercantile business until the beginning of the war. During the period of the war traded in general produce. At its close opened the first bank in Lynchburg, firm of Miller & Franklin, which firm carried on a profitable banking business for seventeen years. Mr. Miller dying then, Mr. Franklin closed out the business, and entered into the National Exchange Bank, of which he was elected president, which position he filled to the best interests of the bank until be retired to private life which he did against the protest of the officers and depositors of the bank, He is a very large landowner, both of Lynchburg property, and farm lands of Campbell county, and a citizen held in warmest esteem by all. He has been a member of the city council, many years trustee of the public school- in 1873-4 represented Campbell County in the House of Delegates. [Source: Virginia and Virginians: History of Volume 2; by Robert Alonzo Brock, Virgil Anson Lewis; publ. 1888; transcribed by Andrea Pack pgs. 556 to 595]
Fuqua, C. E.
The subject of this sketch, one of the farming residents of Washington County, was born in Bedford County, Virginia, on July 25, 1835. He married, at Big Spring, Virginia, June 22, 1858, Lucy Gordon, who was born near Salem, Roanoke County, Virginia, December 27, 1835. The record of their children is: Mary F., married Charles B. Stone, of Abingdon, on January 18, 1881, and died December 4, 1883; Frank M., died November 11,1861, aged ten months; Eolia S. and Gordon C., living at home.
The father of Mr. Fuqua was Hezekiah Fuqua, of Bedford County, son of Joseph Fuqua, who was a soldier of the Revolutionary war, and in battles of Brandywine and Cowpens. His mother was Sarah, daughter of Simon Noel, formerly of Bedford County. A number of the Noel family served in the war of 1812. The Fuqua's were Huguenots, emigrating from France under religious persecution, settling first in South Carolina. Mrs. C.E. Fuqua is a daughter of John Gordon, of Roanoke County, whose father was Isaac Gordon, of Manchester, Virginia. The Gordon's of Virginia trace their ancestral line to a Gordon of Scotland, made a Peer by King Malcolm for bravery, serving after as a trusted guard of honor, near the person of the King. One branch of the Gordon family emigrating from Scotland in colonial days, settled in Manchester, another branch founded Gordonsville, Virginia. The mother of Mrs. Fuqua was Eleanor, daughter of John Zircle, of Roanoke County, the family coming from the Shenandoah Valley.
C. E. Fuqua was six months in service in light artillery, C. S. A., in 1862, then discharged for disability, after that served as railroad supervisor. His brother C. T. Fuqua was killed in battle of Seven Pines; another brother was killed in the seven days fighting around Richmond; still another was captured in 1865, and sent north as prisoner of war. [Source: Virginia and Virginians: History of Volume 2; by Robert Alonzo Brock, Virgil Anson Lewis; publ. 1888; Pgs.722-764; Transcribed and submitted to Genealogy Trails by Andrea Stawski Pack]
COLONEL, 58TH VIRGINIA INFANTRY.
Colonel Edmond Goode, the eldest son of John and Ann M. Goode, was born in Bedford County, Virginia, on the 4th of May, 1825.
After attending for several years in his early youth the grammar schools of the neighborhood, he became a student at the New London Academy, an old and celebrated institution of learning, over which the beloved Bishop Cobbs once presided, and which may now point with maternal pride and tenderness to a long line of worthy and distinguished citizens who laid the foundation of their usefulness and distinction within her classic and venerable walls. He continued to prosecute his studies at this institution until July, 1843, when he entered the Virginia Military Institute as a State cadet from the senatorial district composed of the counties of Bedford and Franklin. Having completed the course at the Institute, during the last year of which he acted as a captain in the corps of cadets, he received his diploma as a member of the graduating class in the summer of 1846, and returned to his native county, where he taught school for two years, in fulfillment of the obligation which had been imposed upon him as a State cadet. After he had thus discharged the debt which he owed to the State, and was left free to consult his own inclinations, he devoted himself to the quiet and peaceful pursuits of agriculture.- In this avocation of life, so congenial to his tastes as a modest, unobtrusive gentleman, he demeaned himself in such a manner that he gained the respect and confidence of all who knew him, and enjoyed the reputation of an "honest man, that noblest work of God." In the memorable spring of 1861, when Virginia, threatened with hostile invasion and with the overthrow of all that she held sacred, called upon her sons to come to her rescue, Colonel Goode responded to that call with alacrity and zeal. How could he hesitate ? He had no personal ambition to gratify and no selfish ends to subserve; but he was a native-born Virginian, the blood of Revolutionary ancestors coursed through his veins. His grandfathers on both sides had fought in the ranks of the patriots of 1776. His maternal great-grandfather had not only distinguished himself in the war of the first Revolution, but had rendered conspicuous service in the war of 1812. He had been reared in the State-rights school, and had been taught to believe that his paramount allegiance was due to the Commonwealth which gave him birth. He loved that Commonwealth for all the historic glories and hallowed associations which clustered about her honored name. His brother, as a member of the Convention, had voted for the ordinance which absolved Virginia from her connection with the Federal Union. Prompted, therefore, by the highest and holiest impulses, and feeling well assured that every consideration of duty, honor, and patriotism required him to take the step, he volunteered with four other brothers, among the first of that noble band of citizen soldiers which the good old county of Bedford sent to the field before the soil of the State had been pressed by the foot of the invader, or the thunder of his guns had begun to echo along our coasts. He assisted in raising and equipping one of the first volunteer companies that was organized in Bedford, and went into camp about the 1st of May, 1861. Having been appointed adjutant of the 28th Virginia Regiment, which was commanded by that whole-souled patriot and noble gentleman, Colonel Robert T. Preston, of Montgomery, he was ordered to Manassas Junction, where he remained in camp until the 21st of July, 1861. On that memorable day in the history of our struggle he went into action with his regiment, and performed his whole duty honorably and faithfully. Some time in the fall of 1861 he was commissioned by the State, colonel of the 58th Regiment of Volunteers, and ordered to the mountains of Virginia, west of Staunton, to watch a threatened movement of the enemy in that quarter. There he remained in camp with his regiment during the winter of 1861 and 1862.
While no opportunity of meeting the enemy was afforded him, yet during those dreary winter months he exhibited qualities of head and heart which demonstrated that he was eminently fit to command, and his men became so warmly and devotedly attached to him that they would have gladly followed wherever he led the way. But an all-wise Providence had decreed that he should be cut down in his career of usefulness and honor, and spared the humiliation and pain of witnessing the final overthrow of that cause which he loved so well. His exposure to the rigor and severity of a winter in the mountains of Virginia super induced a disease from which he never recovered. After he had undergone severe suffering in the camp, he was removed to his home in the county of Bedford, where he died in the bosom of his family, in the month of March, 1862. Such is a brief and imperfect sketch of a chivalrous gentleman and gallant soldier, of whom it is sufficient eulogy to say that he acted well his part as one of that "noble army of martyrs" who suffered and died in the cause of Southern independence. (Source: Biographical sketches of the Graduates and Eleves of the Virginia Military Institute who fell during the war between the States, by Chas. D. Walker. Published 1875. Submitted to Genealogy Trails by Linda Rodriguez)
John Goode was born in Bedford county, Virginia, May 27, 1829, son of John and Ann M. Goode, of English descent. He was educated at the New London Academy and Emory and Henry College, studied law under Hon. John W. Brockenbrough, at Lexington, Virginia, and admitted to the bar in 1851. At the age of twenty-two elected from Bedford county to the general assembly. In the convention of 1861 he voted for the secession ordinance after the failure of the peace conference in Washington. He volunteered at the opening of the war between the states, took part in the first battle at Manassas, and was called to the staff of Gen. Jubal A. Early. He was a member of the Confederate congress from February, 1862, until the end of the war. In 1865 he engaged in practice of law in Norfolk, and was elected to the house of delegates. He was a member of congress from 1874 to 1881, and served on the committee on education. A Democrat in politics, he was a presidential elector in 1852, 1856 and 1884; a delegate in the national conventions of 1868, 1872, 1883 and 1892, and served on the national committee of his party from 1868 until 1876. He was a member of the board of visitors of the University of Virginia, William and Mary College, and the Virginia Agriculture and Mechanical College. From May, 1885, to August, 1886, he was solicitor-general of the United States, and in 1893 was a member of the United States and Chilian claims commission. In 1898 he was president of the Virginia State Bar Association, and in 1901 unanimously elected president of the Virginia constitutional convention. He married Sallie, daughter of R. A. Urquhart, of Isle of Wight, Virginia. He died at Norfolk, July 14, 1909. [Source: Encyclopedia of Virginia Biography; Edited by Lyon Gardiner Tyler; Publ. 1915; Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack.]
Graves, Willaim Fountain
William Fountain Graves, the subject of this sketch, was born in Pittsylvania County, Virginia, September 29th, 1832, and is a son of the late Mr. and Mrs. Peyton Graves. He removed to Bedford County at the age of twelve, which was a few years after his father's death, and was educated in the public schools of his adopted county.
Mr. Graves was engaged in farming when the Civil War broke out and he was one among the first in his county to offer his services to his state and the Confederacy. He enlisted as a Sergeant in Company F, Second Virginia Cavalry and entered the service May 27th, 1861. In August, of the same year he was made a Lieutenant of his company and still later in the same month was elected Captain.
When his regiment was reorganized in 1862 he was again elected Captain and was the only man holding a similar office in his regiment, who was reelected. He was afterwards promoted and received the title of Major and just before the end of that great struggle, was made a Lieutenant Colonel of the regiment. Colonel Graves participated in a number of engagements was twice wounded and his dash and bravery are known to many of the men in this section of Virginia, who fought for the lost cause. He is the highest ranking officer now living in either Roanoke or Bedford counties and he takes an active interest in the affairs of the old soldiers.
At the close of the war Colonel Graves returned to Bedford County and engaged in farming and milling for many years. In 1871 he was elected to the House of Delegates from Bedford County and served his people for five consecutive terms. He was not only an able law maker, but was regarded as the best parliamentarian in the House.
Colonel Graves came to Vinton in 1904 and served one term as Mayor and is now Deputy Sheriff of Roanoke County.
In 1858 he was married to Miss Mary J. Johnson, a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Frank Johnson of Bedford County and they have eleven children, all of whom are living. The children are as follows: John T., Mary Willie, Francis P., Nannie L., Joseph P., Minnie J., Alice O., Stuart, Nunie C., Florence O., and Oscar Graves. He has thirty-four grandchildren living. Colonel Graves is a member of Lakeland Lodge of Masons and religiously is a Baptist. [Source: Virginia and Virginians: History of Volume 2; by Robert Alonzo Brock, Virgil Anson Lewis; publ. 1888; transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack]
Gray, Henry Vincent, M.D.
Dr. Henry Vincent Gray, The subject of this sketch was born at the "Homestead," Bedford County, Virginia, July 28th, 1839, and died in Washington, D. C., while under treatment, July 15th, 1894.
Dr. Gray received his academic education at the Piedmont Institute and Westwood Military Academy. His medical education was acquired at the University of Virginia, the Jefferson Medical College of Philadelphia, the Virginia Medical College of Virginia and the Richmond Medical College at Richmond, graduating in I860.
He was Assistant Surgeon in the Confederate Army and was connected with the 13th Louisiana and the 21st Mississippi Infantry, under General Beauregard. Dr. Gray was regarded as one of the most successful surgeons of the army and for meritorious conduct in the battle of Sharpsburg was recommended by the Army Medical Board for promotion and was made surgeon with the rank of Major, January 14th, 1864 In 1866 Dr. Gray was married to Edmonia Woltz, daughter of Ferdinand Woltz, who was Clerk of the Botetourt County Court for a period of thirty-eight years. Mr. Woltz was a prominent Mason and organized many lodges throughout this section of Virginia.
In 1867, Dr. Gray located in Salem, Virginia, and was appointed Lecturer of Anatomy of Roanoke College and a year later was elected Professor of Physiology and Anatomy, this chair being created for him. In. 1883 he was appointed Coroner of Roanoke City by Governor Cameron and held this position until the time of his death in 1894. In the early history of Roanoke he was made chief surgeon of the Norfolk & Western. r. Gray was honored as a citizen and noted for his integrity of character and as a physician he rated deservedly high. [History of Roanoke County by George S. Jack, Edward Boyle Jacobs; published 1915; Submitted to Genealogy Trails by Andrea Stawski Pack.]
Harrison, Rev. J. R.
Is a son of Joseph Harrison, foreman of the Iron Works of Franklin County, Virginia, and his wife, Lucy, daughter of Peter Kennett, a pioneer of Floyd County, Virginia. The Harrison and Kennett families were both of Irish extraction. The subject of this sketch was born in Franklin County, Virginia, on September 21, 1832, and was married near Roanoke, Virginia, Rev. P. Brown, of Franklin county, uniting him in wedlock with Sallie K. Lunsford. The issue of this marriage is five children: Elizabeth D., Lulu M., John Wm. (deceased), James K. and Charles T.; Mrs. Harrison was born May 6, 1832 in Bedford county, Virginia, and was raised in Roanoke county. Her father was Thomas Lunsford, of Northumberland county, Virginia, her mother Elizabeth Nelms, of Bedford county, in which county the Nelms family were early seated.
A number of the immediate family of Mr. Harrison were in the Confederate States service, during the late war, including two brothers; a brother-in-law who died in service of sickness; and three nephews, one killed in battle of second Manassas, one killed at Gettysburg, and the third severely wounded in battle before Richmond.
Mr. Harrison is pastor in charge of the Baptist church at Glade Spring, Washington county, and is the originator and founder of the justly celebrated Southwest Virginia Institute, of which he is present financial manager. This Institute is now in prosperous condition, having a full corps of able directors, facilities for 150 pupils, and property valued at $20,000. Mr. Harrison is well-known in Virginia, and adjacent States, as a most successful laborer in revival meetings. More than twelve thousand persons have made a public profession of faith in Jesus Christ in meetings conducted by him. A male academy has been foundered by him at Glade Spring, and is doing a good work for the education of boys. [Source: Virginia and Virginians: History of Volume 2; by Robert Alonzo Brock, Virgil Anson Lewis; publ. 1888; Pgs.722-764; Transcribed and submitted to Genealogy Trails by Andrea Stawski Pack]
Holcombe, James Philemon
Holcombe, James Philemon was born in Lynchburg, Virginia, September 25, 1820; attended Yale University and the University of Virginia, pursued a legal course, in which profession he subsequently achieved an eminently brilliant success as a teacher and author, as well as in the political phases of the profession; elected to the position of adjunct professor of constitutional and international law, mercantile law and equity, in the University of Virginia in 1852, to assist Professor Minor, and two years later was advanced to the full professorship of his subjects; in 1861 he was a member of the secession convention of Virginia, and in 1862 was elected to the house of representatives of the Confederate congress and continued until 1863; was a firm believer in the cause of the southern Confederacy, and vigorously advocated the justice of the right of secession; after the close of his term in the Confederate congress, he accepted an appointment as commissioner to Canada, representing the Confederate government; in 1868 he opened a school for boys in Bedford county, Virginia, and later removed the school to Capon Springs, West Virginia, and continued to direct it until his death, August 22, 1873; was an orator of much eloquence and a writer of distinguished merit, and some of the most valuable of his writings were contributed to the publications of the Virginia Historical Society, of which he was a member; he also wrote extensively for other periodicals, and published several law books: "Leading Cases on Commercial Law," New York, 1847; "Digest of the Decisions of the United States Supreme Court," 1848; and "Merchants' Book of Reference," 1848; he also published, in 1868, "Literature and Letters"; his death occurred at Capon Springs, West Virginia. [Source: Encyclopedia of Virginia Biography; Edited by Lyon Gardiner Tyler; Publ. 1915; Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack.]
Jones, George M.
The subject of this sketch is of English descent, his ancestors settling in Page county, Virginia, in colonial days. His father was Wharton Jones, son of George and Margaret Jones, and his mother was Nancy, daughter of Benjamin and Sarah Wood. He was born in Page county May 24, 1824. In 1844 he removed to Bedford county, where he was for several years engaged in a mercantile business at Pecksville and at Liberty. On September 14.1848, Rev. John W. Howard officiating, he married Miss Mary F. Watts, who was born in Bedford county, December 30, 1830. In 1854 he removed to Salisbury, North Carolina, and engaged there in the hardware business with good success until the war. Returning to Bedford county early in 1861, he lived on his estate there during the war, serving some time in the Confederate States Army. In the fall of 1865 he removed to Lynchburg, which has since been his home. He engaged in the hardware business, which he carried on with good success until he retired from business in August. 1887. He is now president of the National Exchange Bank, and of the Lynchburg Cotton Mills now (1888) about to be erected. [Source: Virginia and Virginians: History of Volume 2; by Robert Alonzo Brock, Virgil Anson Lewis; publ. 1888; transcribed by Andrea Pack pgs. 556 to 595]
Jones, Marshall M.
Born in Nelson county, Virginia, November 19,1831, is a son of Coleman Jones, of that county, formerly of Bedford county, Virginia, where his father, Owen Jones, settled, coming from London, England. The mother of Marshall M. was Sophia, daughter of Elijah Mays, of Nelson county, Virginia, but formerly of King and Queen county, Virginia. Elijah Mays and two of his sons were in service in the war of 1812. By reason of disability Mr. Jones was exempt from military service during the late war. He had five brothers in service, one of whom, Elijah C., was killed in first battle at Manassas. The first wife of Mr. Jones was Mary J., daughter of James L. Bradley, of Washington county. She was born March 12,1883, near Abingdon. they were married December 22,1854, and she died July 18,1880. They had three sons, James C. and Edward C., now deceased, and Charles I., now of Abingdon. Near Abingdon, October 5,1882, Mr. Jones married Ella J. Stevens, who was born at Oneida, New York, September 24,1860. She is a daughter of Amos W. Stevens, who came from New York to Washington county in 1871, and is living near Abingdon. Zadock Stevens, formerly of Oneida, was his father. Her mother, Betsy, daughter of John Shaver, of Columbia county, New York, died near Abingdon, April 1, 1887, aged seventy-two years. Mr. Jones is a farmer, with residence near Abingdon. [Source: Virginia and Virginians: History of Volume 2; by Robert Alonzo Brock, Virgil Anson Lewis; publ. 1888; Pgs.722-764; Transcribed and submitted to Genealogy Trails by Andrea Stawski Pack]
Luck, Henry Marshall
Luck, Henry Marshall Henry Marshall Luck, was born in Bedford County, Virginia, January 7th, 1869, being a son of Captain N. C. and Sarah Douthat Luck. He received his early education in the common schools of Bedford County and upon reaching manhood became interested in railroad construction work. In 1905 he organized the Luck Construction Company, with headquarters in this city. The firm maintains offices in the Strickland Building. During the past several years the firm has been engaged in the construction of several railroad divisions in Virginia, West Virginia, North Carolina, Kentucky, and Tennessee. The grading of the line from Ridgeway to Spray, North Carolina, was recently completed by the Luck Construction Company. Two other contracts are being pushed rapidly to completion, one of seventeen miles of heavy work, including two tunnels on the Lexington & Eastern, and another of thirty-one miles on the Buchanan Northern Railway in West Virginia and Pennsylvania.
Henry Marshall Luck was married on January 20th, 1898, to Laura Scott, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. J. C. Scott of Saltville, Virginia. Two children have been born to this union, a son and a daughter, Mary Frances and Clarence A. Luck. [History of Roanoke County by George S. Jack, Edward Boyle Jacobs; published 1915; Submitted to Genealogy Trails by Andrea Stawski Pack]
Marshall, William R.
William R. Marshall, blacksmith at Macy (Indiana), was born in Bedford County, Virginia, November 7, 1833. He was the eldest child born to William and Catharine (Walker) Marshall, both natives of Bedford County, Virginia. His father was born June 23, 1810, and his mother February 24, 1815. The former died January 10, 1844, and the latter August 17,1847. When William was about three years old his parents emigrated to Preble County, Ohio, and located upon a farm. Some years later they came to this State and located in Grant County. About three years later they returned to Virginia, but soon afterward they again came to this State and this time located in Wabash County. A year later they removed to Whitley County. There his father died, and, his mother having re-married, William accompanied his mother and step-father to Cass County, this State. He was then about fourteen years old. At the age of twenty-two he went to Carroll County, where he worked at the trade of a blacksmith one year. He then went to West Urbana, Champaign County, Illinois, but a year later he returned to Fulton County, this State. He worked at his trade in the town of Fulton about four years; he went to Missouri in the fall of 1866: in 1870 he returned to Wabash County, this State; in November, 1871, he located at Rochester, Fulton County, but in the following year he came to this county and located at Macy, where he has ever since resided. He learned the trade of a blacksmith early in life, and this has been his occupation ever since. September 14, 1854, he was married to Mrs. Sarah A. St. Clair, who died May 28, 1863; May 10, 1864, he was married to Sarah J. Oliver, who died June 2, 1871. He was married a third time to Mrs. Sarah Kamp, January 13. 1878; she died January 12, 1884, and on the 13th of April, 1886, he was married to Laura J. Hosey. In all, Mr. Marshall is the father of six children. They are Eugene A., Troylous B., Henry A., William A., Loyd I. and Florence N. Troylous B. died in the 22d year of his age. The first two were by his first wife, the next two by his second wife, and the last two by his third. Mr, and Mrs. Marshall belong to the M. E. church. Mr. Marshall is a member of the I. O. O. F. lodge and a Republican in politics. He is an industrious and skillful workman and a good citizen. [History of Miami County, Indiana: From the earliest time to the present ... By Brant & Fuller, Chicago - Submitted by Barb Z.]
Martin, John Henry
Is a son of Thomas Martin, who came from Ireland to Virginia, settling in Bedford County, serving in the War of 1812. Thomas Martin married Elizabeth Swain, whose father served in the Revolutionary war, and settled in Bedford County some time in 1800. The subject of this sketch was born in Bedford County, near Fancy Grove, May 12, 1824. His first wife was Nancy Eliza Hagy, whom he married June 25, 1857. They resided in Bristol, Tennessee, until her death, which occurred March 20, l860. The issue of this marriage was one daughter. Secondly Mr. Martin married, in Washington County, Virginia, Melinda Lewis, their marriage solemnized on January 30,1868. She is the daughter of John Lewis, born in Louisa County, Virginia, who married Sallie Lynch. The Lewis and Lynch families were from Ireland, and early settlers in Washington County. Many of the Martin family and their near relatives were in military service, under the Confederate government. Four of Mr. Martin's brothers were in the army, two died in service, another was severely wounded. His own service was first as a government employee and contractor, but in 1863 he took the field, a member of Company K. 64th Virginia Mounted Infantry, with which he served till the close of the war. He is now engaged in farming, residing at Meadow View. [Source: Virginia and Virginians: History of Volume 2; by Robert Alonzo Brock, Virgil Anson Lewis; publ. 1888; Pgs.722-764; Transcribed and submitted to Genealogy Trails by Andrea Stawski Pack]
Otey, Col. Kirkwood
Col. Kirkwood Otey was born in Lynchburg, October 19, 1829; was graduated at the Virginia Military Institute in July, 1849; enlisted in the same year in the Virginia Volunteer Militia, serving until April 23, 1861, when he was mustered into service at Richmond as First Lieutenant of Company 11th regiment, C. S.A.. He served through the war, rising to the command of the regiment, and was twice severely wounded: first, in the last day's fighting at Gettysburg, in the famous charge of Pickett's Division; again at Drury's Bluff, May 16, 1864, the latter wound permanently disabling him from active service in the field. After the close of the war he assisted in the reorganization of the Lynch burg Home Guards, the company with which he entered service in the war becoming Company E, 3d Virginia Regiment. With this he has ever since been connected, and is now captain, constituting altogether, except two brief intervals, an almost uninterrupted military service of forty-three years. He is present commander of Camp Samuel Garland, Confederate Veterans, of Lynchburg. Col. Otey is serving as auditor of the city of Lynchburg at the present time. He married, February 19, 1862, Lucy Dabney Norvell, daughter of Fayette H. and Mary C. (Roane) Norvell, born at Trenton, Tennessee, January 14, 1845. They have three children living: John M., born February 5, 1866; Norvell, born .November 17, 1872; Kirkwood, Jr., born March 3, 1884. Their first-born was a daughter, Mina Gaston, born February 23, 1863, died on August 12. The paternal grandfather of Col. Otey was Major Isaac Otey, of Bedford county, Virginia, who ably represented that tier of counties of which Bedford is one, in the Senate of Virginia for thirty years. The family of Col. Otey was of essentially military stock adding well-earned laurels for the name in the late war. Of seven brothers and the only brother-in-law in the family, all entered the Confederate States Army at its first call for troops, and served through the war, or were killed or died in the service. An extract from a Lynchburg paper published in the spring of 1861, the article entitled "A Military Family", shows this and is worthy of perpetuation here. It reads:
The family of the late Capt. John M. Otey of Lynchburg are all in military active service, as follows: Dexter Otey, first lieutenant of a cavalry company, Lynchburg; Van. R. Otey, member of the same company; John Stewart Walker (son-in-law), captain of the Virginia Life Guards, at Yorktown; Kirk Otey, captain of a Lynchburg company at Manassas Junction; Hays Otey first lieutenant in provisional army at Norfolk; Gaston Otey, first lieutenant in provisional army at Yorktown; John M. Otey, second lieutenant in provisional army under Col. Cocke at Manassas; Peter J. Otey, second lieutenant provisional army at Sewell's Point, fired the first gun in response to the salutations of Lincoln's vessels. All of these gentlemen, we believe, have the advantage of a military education, one served in Mexico, and four were at Harpers Ferry and Charlestown. We may mention the fact that twenty years ago, Captain John M. Otey, father of the seven above named, and father-in-law of the other, at a time of profound peace, and when there was an absence of all military spirit, expressed the opinion that the boy who made himself the best soldier would be likely to find the most ready and useful employment before he had passed the maturity of manhood. Fie confirmed it by graduating five of them at the Virginia Military Institute, and to deprived by death of the pleasure and gratification it would have given him, his widow lived to see every one of them in the active military service of her beloved Southern country, not even detailing one of them to remain at home as her "Safe-Guard."
The further service in the field of Col. Kirkwood Otey has just been given; that of Major Peter J. Otey is in the sketch following this. Of the others the record is: Dexter, lieutenant in the Wise troop, died in 1863; Van. R., lieutenant Company B, 2d Virginia Cavalry, rendered unfit for field service by sickness contracted in army, made provost marshal at Lynchburg, and died in 1864; Gaston, captain of the Otey Battery, wounded and died in Lynchburg in 1863; W. H. (Hays), adjutant of the 56th Virginia regiment, subsequently captain of ordnance; Col. John M., on staff duty, assigned to Gen. Beauregard's staff at Manassas in 1861, served with him until after battle of Shiloh, subsequently with Gens. Bragg and Joseph K. Johnston in their western campaigns, returned to Gen. Beauregard it Charleston, and surrendered a t Greensboro, N.C., in 1865 and paroled by Gen. Sherman. Major John Stewart Walker (Col. Otey's brother-in-law raised and chiefly on of his private means armed and equipped, the Virginia Life Guards of Richmond, was promoted major of the Virginia Infantry, and was in command of his regiment when killed in battle of Malvern Hill. The devoted mother of this family, Mrs. Lucy W. Otey, rendered service not less to he commemorated. She established, organized, and managed the Ladies' Confederate Hospital at Lynchburg (which was independent of the Confederate States Medical Department there), reporting direct to the Surgeon General's office, Richmond, Virginia. It was well known throughout the Confederacy through those who had been inmates thereof, and was in great measure maintained by those officers and soldiers who had experienced the kind attention, care and nursing of the officers and ladies of the hospital.
John M. Otey, father of Col. Kirkwood Otey, was born Dec. 2, 1792, in Bedford County, Virginia, and died in Lynchburg, Feb. 3, 1859. He removed to Lynchburg at an early age, and was successively the Book-keeper, Teller and Cashier of the Bank of Virginia at that place, holding the latter position at his death. Was for 21 years a member of the City Council and for 18 years its president. His wife Mrs. Lucy Wilhelmina Otey, daughter of Capt. William Norvell was born Feb. 28, 1801, and died in May, 1866, in Richmond, Virginia. [Source: Virginia and Virginians: History of Volume 2; by Robert Alonzo Brock, Virgil Anson Lewis; publ. 1888; transcribed by Andrea Pack pgs. 556 to 595]
Poindexter, Walker Watts
The following record gives not only the story of the antiquity of the family of Poindexter and its age in America, but a perusal of the chronicle will show that its members were ever true Americans and ardent patriots, fighting, when necessity came, both for the independence of their country and in the support of their convictions, making sacrifices of nobility in each conflict.
Of the ancient history of the name, as early as 1250 Geoffroy and Raoul Poindestre are mentioned as landowners on the Island of Jersey, Great Britain, in certain documents preserved in the archives at S. Lo, Normandy, France. In 1424 John Poindestre was bailly of the island; in 1452 his son, another John, filled the same office; and in 1467 the grandson of the first named, a third John, occupied this honorable post. In 1485 John Poindestre was lieutenant bailly, as was his descendant, still named John, in 1669. This family has for generations possessed the fief of Grainville, in the parish of S. Saviour. George Poingdestre, seigneur of the fief es Poingdestre, Island of Jersey, died in 1544. He married Girette, niece of Sir Thomas Ahier. Children: John, of whom further; Thomas, constable of S. Saviour, married Catherine, daughter of Thomas Lempiere, widow of Richard Langois and Clement Messervey.
(I) John Poingdestre, son of George and Girette Poingdestre, and seigneur of the fief es Poingdestre, died in 1583. Children: Edward, of whom further; John, who married Perroline, daughter of Peter Ladl.
(II) Edward Poingdestre, son of John Poingdestre, seigneur of the fief es Poingdestre, married (first) Margaret, daughter of Clement Messervey, in 1562, and (second) Pauline, daughter of Guyon Ahier.
(III) Thomas Poingdestre, son of Edward Poingdestre, seigneur of the fief es Poingdestre, was born in 1581. He married Elizabeth, daughter of __________ Effard. Children: Philip, born in 1620, married Sarah Pinel; Jacob; George, of whom further; Rachel.
(IV) George Poingdestre, son of Thomas and Elizabeth Poingdestre, immigrated to America, and settled in Virginia.
(I) John Poindexter, a descendant of George Poingdestre, the emigrant, settled in Louisa county, Virginia, at the time of its formation, on or near Gold Mine Creek, a small stream emptying into the North Anna river about eight or nine miles northeast of Louisa Courthouse. He owned large landed estates and at that time was one of the most prominent men in the county, both in church and county matters, being one of the first vestrymen of Fredericksville parish, taking the oath of allegiance, the oath of abjuration, and against trans-substantiation. He was one of the most punctual attendants on the sittings of the court and it is evident that he was held in high esteem by that body, as fully appears from the proceedings of the court directing him to attend to roads, bridges, and so forth. He died in Louisa county in 1753, leaving a will which was admitted to record in the court on May 29, 1753, his widow, Christiana Poindexter, qualifying as his executrix. Besides daughters he had sons who survived him : Thomas, John, William, Richard, and Joseph, of whom further.
(II) Joseph Poindexter, thought to be son of John and Christiana Poindexter, was born in 1736 and lived in Bedford county, later moving to Campbell county, where he died June 29, 1826. He was a captain of militia from Bedford county (see records in Virginia State Library) in the American army in the revolutionary war. He married, February 10, 1768, Elizabeth, born February 29, 1747, daughter of James Kennerly. Their children: 1. Samuel, of whom further. 2. James, married Mary, daughter of Waddy and Mary (Lewis) Thompson, of Albemarle county. 3. Joseph, married a widow, Mrs. Harrison. 4. William, married Judith, daughter of Waddy Thompson. 5. Reuben. 6. Thomas Kennedy, moved to South Carolina, and married Mrs. Mary (Rall) Kennerly. 7. John, married a Miss Chilton. 8. Louis, married Ann Smith. 9. Ann, married John Chilton, of Amherst county. 10. Elizabeth, married Raleigh Chilton. 11. Richard, married a Miss Ford, and moved to the west.
(III) Samuel Poindexter, son of Joseph and Elizabeth (Kennerly) Poindexter, married (first) Anne Poindexter Slaughter, daughter of Reuben and Betty (Poindexter) Slaughter. Reuben Slaughter was a son of Colonel Francis and Ann (Lightfoot) Slaughter, who married June 3, 1729. Francis Slaughter was a large landholder in Culpeper and Orange counties, Virginia; was commissioned captain of militia February 2, 1730, later colonel of militia; was justice, vestryman, church-warden, and held numerous other civil offices. He was a son of Robert and Frances Anne (Jones) Slaughter, who were married about 1700. Robert Slaughter was born about 1680, held extensive grants of land in Spottsylvania county, and was a prosperous planter of Essex county, where he lived and died. He was probably a son of Francis and Margaret (Hudson) Slaughter, a planter of Richmond county, Virginia, born about 1653. Francis was a son of Captain Francis, who married, in 1652, Elizabeth Underwood, and grandson of John Slaughter, the emigrant, who settled in Virginia prior to 1620. Samuel Poindexter married (second) Sarah Garth, of Albemarle county, and (third) Martha, daughter of James Otey, of Kentucky. The children of his first marriage: 1. Dabney, of whom further. 2. James, married Susan Shelton. 3. John, married a Miss Robinson. 4. Caroline, married a Mr. White. Children of his second marriage: 5. Garland, married Julia Bingham. 6. Willis, married Emily Slaughter. 7. Samuel, married Ann Tucker. Samuel Poindexter had no children by his third marriage.
(IV) Dabney Poindexter, son of Samuel and Anne Poindexter (Slaughter) Poindexter, was born November 17, 1791, and died September 27, 1848. He married Mary Eliza, born March 15, 1801, daughter of James Watts. Children: 1. David Durrett, born September 11, 1820, married, November 8, 1849, Anne Poindexter. 2. Sarah W., born February 5, 1822, married October 4, 1843, William Gills. 3. Richard Watts, born October 8, 1823, married (first) in 1849, Mary Elizabeth Durrett, (second) in 1865, Mary Lee. 4. Caroline E., born October 6, 1825, married, March 8, 1844, Asa Gills. 5. James W., born November 3, 1827, married, January 5, 1858, Sophia Nicholls. 6. Samuel Thomas, of whom further. 7. Paulina Ann, born May 3, 1832, married, October 4, 1849, Joseph Hardy. 8. Frances Susan, born May 17, 1835, married Joseph Rucker. 9. Mary Eliza, born June 3, 1838, married Charles Hardy. 10. William Dabney, born November 29, 1843, married Mary Jeter.
(V) Samuel Thomas Poindexter, son of Dabney and Mary (Watts) Poindexter, was born August 30, 1829, died in July, 1904. He was reared to manhood on the old plantation near Shiloh Church, Bedford county, and was a student in the private schools of that vicinity. Upon his father's death Mr. Poindexter inherited a vast tract of land and was a prosperous planter until the war between the states, during which conflict he suffered great losses, the value of his property undergoing severe depreciation. Soon after the beginning of active hostilities he became a private in Company F, Second Regiment of Virginia Cavalry, commanded by Colonel James W. Watts, and was a member of the second until peace was finally restored, participating in every military movement in which his regiment was engaged. He received an honorable discharge from the Confederate army at Lynchburg, standing on the spot (now in Miller Park) where four years previous he had entered the service. Martial occupation giving place to the activities of peace, he settled in Lynchburg and established as a wholesale grocer, afterward adding to this line retail dealing. In both branches he prospered, the one aiding materially in the success of the other, and to both he devoted large measures of his personal attention until ill health required his abandoment [sic] of his pressing duties. He carried with him from the busy mart of trade to the quiet retirement of his home the hearty regard of his coworkers, their respect for the manly manner in which he met the crises of business life, and a sincere appreciation of his worth and integrity. His life was passed as a staunch supporter of the Democratic party. He married, October 31, 1876, Benjamina James, daughter of Benjamin James and Sarah Matilda (Johnson) Hughes. They were the parents of one son, Walker Watts, a manufacturer of Lynchburg.
(VI) Walker Watts Poindexter descends maternally from the Randolph and Woodson families of Virginia in the following lines: Walker Watts, son of Samuel Thomas Poindexter and Benjamina James Hughes; Benjamina James Hughes, daughter of Benjamin James Hughes and Sarah Matilda Johnson; Benjamin James Hughes, son of Jesse Hughes and Mary Woodson Cheadle; Mary Woodson Cheadle, daughter of John Cheadle and Elizabeth Royal Woodson; Elizabeth Royal Woodson, daughter of Colonel John Woodson and
Dorothea Randolph (see Randolph); Colonel John Woodson, son of Josiah Woodson and Mary Royal; Josiah Woodson, son of Dr. John Woodson and Judith Tarlton; John Woodson, son of Robert Woodson and Elizabeth Ferris; Robert Woodson, son of Dr. John Woodson, of Dorsetshire, England, and his wife, Sarah, of Devonshire, England.
Dorothy Randolph, of previous mention, daughter of Isham Randolph, of Dungeness and Jane Rogers, of London, England; Isham Randolph, son of William Randolph, of Turkey Island, attorney-general of Virginia in 1696, speaker of the house of burgesses in 1698, clerk of the house in 1702, and Mary Isham, daughter of Henry Isham of Bermuda Hundred on James river; William Randolph, of Turkey Island, son of Richard Randolph and Elizabeth Ryland, of Warwickshire, England; Richard Randolph, son of William Randolph and Dorothy Lane; William Randolph, son of Robert Randolph, of Hams, Sussex, England, gentleman, and Rose Roberts, daughters of Thomas Roberts, of Hawkhurst, Kent, England. (Encyclopedia of Virginia Biographies, Vol. IV. Publ. 1915. Transcribed by Chris Davis)
Radford, Richard Carlton Walker
Second Lieutenant Richard Carlton Walker Radford, of Bedford County, Virginia. He matriculated in July, 1840, and resigned July, 1841, to enter West Point, where he was graduated, July 1, 1845. He was assigned to the First Dragoons as brevet second lieutenant, and was transferred to the Second Dragoons, May 18, 1846, as second lieutenant; transferred to First Dragoons, July 9, 1846.
He served throughout the War with Mexico. On October 24, 1848 (after peace was ratified), he was promoted first lieutenant; on July 9, 1855, he was promoted captain of Dragoons. Resigned, November 30, 1856, having served with gallantry in the Indian Wars from 1848 to 1856.
When the Confederate War began, he promptly offered his services to his State, and was commissioned colonel of the Second Virginia Cavalry, the first mounted regiment raised and organized in the Virginia Volunteers, and served as such until after the battle of First Manassas for gallantry in which he was personally mentioned by General Joseph E. Johnston. Colonel Radford belonged to Beauregard's Army, and had command of all of his cavalry, twice as many as General Johnston brought from the Valley; and, yet, Johnston promoted Stuart over Radford whom the latter ranked, as Stuart was only a lieutenant-colonel, and had been only a lieutenant in the old Army, while Radford had been captain of Dragoons. Radford was naturally displeased at such treatment. General John B. Floyd offered him the command of his cavalry which he was forming into a brigade (and which was afterwards given to Jenkins). Radford did fine work for Floyd. But General Lee told the Secretary of War that if Floyd were allowed to form a local command (as had been offered him), he would draw to himself all of the West and Southwest Virginia troops; and as it was regarded as Virginia's pledge that she would give all of her troops to the Confederacy, Floyd's volunteers were disbanded, and Radford retired, having passed the age of conscription.
"He was a born soldier"(General Munford has said), "a superb horseman, and the best disciplinarian I ever saw in camp, and a fine outpost officer. The impress of his martial hand clung to my old regiment, and made it second (except in name) to no regiment in the Confederate Army. It had in it twenty-one V. M. I. officers, and Colonel Radford had handled it in a masterly manner while in command." Colonel Radford was much hurt by the unjust treatment he had received. He retired to his farm, "Rothsay," in Bedford County, Virginia, after leaving the Army in 1862, where he resided till his death, November 4, 1886.
Colonel Radford was a son of William Radford, of Richmond, Virginia, and Elizabeth Moseley, of Bedford County, Virginia. He was twice married. His first wife was Octavia Duval, and his second, Fannie Steptoe. Four children survive, Mrs. R. H. Claiborne, of Hampton, Virginia, and Messrs. Duval, Walker, and Locksley Radford, of Forest, Virginia. (Source: The Military History of the Virginia Military Institute from 1839-1861, by: Jennings C. Wise, Publ: 1915. Transcribed by: Helen Coughlin)
Stone, George Washington
Lawyer, was born October 24, 1811, in Bedford County, Va., and died March 11, 1894, in Montgomery; son of Micajah and Sarah (Leftwich) Stone, of Bedford County, Va., who removed to Lincoln County, Tenn., in 1818; grandson of Micajah Stone, a native of England who emigrated to America and settled in Bedford County, Va.; grand nephew of Jabez Leftwich (q. v.). Judge Stone was educated in the common schools of Lincoln County, Tenn., later attending the village academy. He studied law in the office of James Fulton, of Fayetteville, Tenn.; removed to Alabama; was admitted to practice his profession in that State, May, 1834, and opened an office in Talladega; entered into partnership with William P. Chilton, later chief justice of the supreme court of Alabama; appointed judge of the circuit court, August, 1843; elected to the same position for a term of six years by the legislature, in December, 1843; resigned in January, 1849, and removed to Hayneville, Lowndes County, practicing in succession with Nathan Cook, T. J. Judge, and S. Perry Nesraith. He was elected associate justice of the Alabama supreme court bench, January, 1856, re-elected in 1862, and upon the reconstruction of the State government after the War of Secession retired from the bench and again took up the practice of his profession in Montgomery. He formed a partnership in 1866 with David Clopton and Gen. James H. Clanton. Upon the death of General Clanton the firm was continued under the name of Stone and Clopton. Judge Stone was again appointed in March, 1876, as associate justice of the supreme court by Governor Houston to fill an unexpired term; elected by the people in 1880 for a term of six years; appointed chief justice by Governor O'Neal in 1884; and elected to the same office for a term of six years in 1886; after which he returned to his practice. He served on the supreme court bench for nearly a quarter of a century and delivered over two thousand and one hundred decisions. These decisions are to be found in the twenty-eight to the thirty-ninth, and fifty-third to the eighty-ninth volumes of the Alabama State reports, inclusive. Married: (1) December 16, 1834, to Mary, daughter of George and Martha (Morgan) Gillespie, of Franklin, Tenn.; (2) September 4, 1849, to Emily, daughter of William and Dolly (Rutherford) Moore, of Lowndes County; (3) February 8, 1866, to Mrs. Mary E. (Harrison) Wright, daughter of Paschal and Elizabeth (Phillips) Harrison, of Georgia, later of Lowndes County. He left numerous descendants. Last residence: Montgomery. [History of Alabama and Dictionary of Alabama Biography, Volume 4 By Thomas McAdory Owen, Marie Bankhead Owen, 1921 - Transcribed by AFOFG]
Strother, William A.
The subject of this sketch was born in Richmond, Virginia, on November 15, 1832, but has long been a resident of Lynchburg, engaged in business in that city since 1855. His first marriage was with Sallie Mitchell of Bedford county, Virginia, who died leaving him two sons, William M. and Robert. He married secondly at Lynchburg, on February 26, 1862, Jennie L. Langhorne, and they have one son, Sidney. Mr. Strother is now the only survivor of four brothers who gave their service to the Confederate States during the late war. He entered service in April, 1861, second lieutenant of Company E. 11th- Virginia Infantry, and was obliged to resign, on account of sickness, in the following winter; was later made captain of a company of reserves, so serving till the close of the war. His brother Sidney, sergeant in Cranshaw's battery, was killed in battle of Gaines Mills. Robert Q., another brother, served through the war in same battery; since deceased. Fourth of these brothers was John M., who served as treasurer, C. S. A., rank of captain. When Richmond was evacuated he held all the funds of the Confederate States in his keeping; died since the war. William A. Strother has been a bank director since 1861, in the First National Bank of Lynchburg and the National Exchange Bank. He is a trustee of the Lynchburg Female Orphan Asylum, and for five years has been Eminent Commander of the DeMolay Commandery, Knights Templar. He is head of the firm of W. A. Strother & Son, proprietors of the "Strother Silver Medal Cologne," and they are extensively engaged in the manufacture of perfumeries, having a market in thirteen States. [Source: Virginia and Virginians: History of Volume 2; by Robert Alonzo Brock, Virgil Anson Lewis; publ. 1888; transcribed by Andrea Pack pgs. 556 to 595]
Trigg, Honorable Daniel
Born in Abingdon, March 12, 1843, is a son of Daniel Trigg, son of William, son of Daniel (born August 14, 1749), son of William, son of Abraham, who came about 1710 from Cornwall, England, to the colony of Virginia, settling in Bedford county. His mother was Anna Munford Tompkins, daughter of Alexander Tompkins. whose wife was Elizabeth, daughter of Otway Byrd. Further record of the progenitors of the Trigg family has already been given. The wife of Hon. Daniel Trigg, whom he married at Abingdon, January 9, 1872, is Louisa Bowen Johnston, born in Tazewell county, Virginia, January 17,1846. Their children are: Nannie Greenway, John W. Johnston, Daniel, Miriam Hartford, Evelyn Byrd, George Benjamin and Anna Munford all living at home; and two deceased: Nicketti Floyd and Louisa Smith.
Mrs. Trigg is descended from families honorably identified with the annals of Virginia. Her father is John Warfield Johnston, ex-Senator United States from Virginia, son of Dr. John Warfield Johnston, who was a son of Judge Peter Johnston. Her mother was Nicketti Floyd, daughter of Gov. John Floyd, of Virginia.
The Hon. Daniel Trigg was acting midshipman, U.S. Naval Academy, from 1858 to 1861. He resigned upon the secession of Virginia, and entered the Virginia Provisional Navy, from which he was transferred to the Confederate States Navy. In this he gave continuous and honorable service, receiving rank of lieutenant, until captured in April 1865. He was held first in the Old Capitol Prison, at Washington, then at Johnsons Island, Lake Erie, whence he was released after the close of the war. Soon after he went to Chili, then at war with Spain, in the service of that country, and was offered, but declined, a commission in the Chilian Navy. Was present at the bombardment of Calao by the Spanish fleet in the spring of 1866. He was a member of the Virginia Legislature, sessions of 1883-1884 and in 1880 was a member of the National Democratic Convention nominating General Hancock. He is now engaged in practice, as attorney-at-law, in Abingdon. [Source: Virginia and Virginians: History of Volume 2; by Robert Alonzo Brock, Virgil Anson Lewis; publ. 1888; Pgs.722-764; Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack]
Was born in Virginia, April 25, 1808, and came to this county in 1817. His parents are William and Mary (Cooper) Trotter, who also settled here in 1817. William was married in Harrison, December 27, 1832, to Rosannah Houck, who was born in Bedford county, Virginia, March 28, 1814. The parents of Mrs. Trotter are Felty and Susan (Kerns) Houck. The children of Mr. Trotter are: Frances, born December 13, 1833, died June, 1834; Elizabeth (Gilmore), December 25, 1835, resides in Harrison; Mary (Waugh), February 20, 1837, died February 5, 1882; Armena (Lindle), April 5, 1840, resides in Harrison; John, March 20, 1842, resides in Missouri; Marion, January 24, 1844, died August 13, 1869; Nancy S. (Frownfelter), April 4, 1846, resides in Harrison; Sarah, December 24, 1848, deceased; Phebe, (Earwood), April 6, 1851, resides in Clay township; William H., April 20, 1854, resides in Harrison; Thomas M., February 28, 1857, resides in Harrison township. Two of Mr. Trotter's sons were in the late war. John Trotter enlisted in 1862 in the 91st Ohio Volunteer Infantry, Company B, and served till the close of the war; Marion Trotter enlisted at Columbus in 1865, and was discharged at the close of the war. Mr. Trotter is a resident of Harrison township, where he is engaged in farming. His postoffice address is Leaper, Gallia county, Ohio. [SOURCE: History of Gallia County: Containing A Condensed History of the County; Biographical Sketches; General Statistics, Miscellaneous Matters, &c; James P. Averill; Hardesty & CO., Publishers, Chicago and Toledo. 1882.]
Watkins, George P.
Son of William and Mary (Wharton) Watkins, and grandson of Thomas Watkins, was born in Halifax county, Virginia, March 10th, 1852. His father was born in Virginia, where the family bas been long seated, and his mother was born in the State of Maine. His wife is Jimmie Lelia, daughter of Col. James W. and Mary Elizabeth (Jones) Watts, whose family record appears in this volume. She was born in Bedford County, Virginia, and they were married by Dr. W. E. Edwards, at the Court Street M. E. Church, Lynchburg December 22, 1880. Their children are Florence, Lucile, Lelia. Robert W. Watkins, brother of George P. served in the late war. His mother died in 1857, when he was five years old, and his father died in 1864, when he was twelve years old. After that he attended boarding school for two years, than entered on a business life in'1868 as clerk in a retail store in Halifax county, Virginia. In 1871 he went to Richmond as traveling salesman for the wholesale notion house of Yancey & Franklin; in 1875 went to Baltimore, traveling for a wholesale house. On July 1, 1878, became a partner in the wholesale boot and shoe firm of Witt & Watkins, in which he still continues at 808 Main street (see record of Geo. D. Witt). Mr. Watkins is also a director in the National Exchange Bank of Lynchburg, and has been since its organization. [Source: Virginia and Virginians: History of Volume 2; by Robert Alonzo Brock, Virgil Anson Lewis; publ. 1888; transcribed by Andrea Pack pgs. 556 to 595]
Watts, Hubert Bruce
Following closely the example of their honored father, the sons of Colonel James Winston Watts have been throughout their lives honored business men of the city of Lynchburg, Virginia.
Hubert Bruce Watts, eldest son of Colonel James Winston and Mary Elizabeth (Jones) Watts, was born in Bedford county, Virginia, December 6, 1857. When a lad he removed with his parents to Lynchburg, Virginia. After attending the public schools and high school there, he was carefully prepared by private instructors for college. He entered the Virginia Military Institution in 1875 and graduated with honor with the class of 1879. Mr. Watts is a banker, and is connected with all the important enterprises of Lynchburg, and is identified with every movement which has for its object the uplifting of his city, and the moral uplift of his fellow citizens. Mr. Watts married, September 26, 1888, Ida Reeder, daughter of Major Ferdinand Christian and Mary (Lyons) Hutter, and granddaughter of Judge James Lyons, of Richmond. [Source: Encyclopedia of Virginia Biography, Vol. IV - Transcribed by Genealogy Trails Transcription Team Member Chris Davis]
Watts, Col. James W.
Son of Richard D, and Isabella E. (Newell) Watts, was born in Bedford county, Virginia, on April 19, 183?. On February 22, 1854, Rev. D. P. Wills officiating, he married Mary Elizabeth, daughter of F. E. and Sarah (Spears) Jones, of Appomattox county. Their children are named: Hubert B., Jimmie L., Thomas Ashby and Maude. They have buried one son, Oscar. Col. Watts entered the Confederate States Army May 11, 18(51, in Company A, 2d Virginia Cavalry, rank of first lieutenant. In September, 1861, he was promoted captain; in March, 1862, received commission of lieutenant-colonel, same regiment. He received eight sabre cuts in battle of second Manassas; was again wounded at Opequan, December 27, 1862; and again, June 1863 where a gunshot wound in right fore-arm permanently disabled him for active field service. He served subsequently, and until the close of the war, as post commander, at Liberty, Bedford county. Col. Watts, who has now retired from business life, was for some time a partner in the well-known firm of Jones, Watts Bros. & Co. [Source: Virginia and Virginians: History of Volume 2; by Robert Alonzo Brock, Virgil Anson Lewis; publ. 1888; transcribed by Andrea Pack pgs. 556 to 595]
Watts, Thomas Ashby
Thomas Ashby Watts, youngest son of Colonel James Winston and Mary Elizabeth (Jones) Watts, was born in Bedford county, Virginia, September 9, 1866, his parents at that time, however, residing in Lynchburg, where his honored father was a member of the hardware firm of Jones, Watts & Company. Thomas A. Watts was educated in the public schools of Lynchburg, and after completing the high school course pursued a special course at Eastman's Business College, Poughkeepsie, New York. He began business life as cashier in the banking house of P. A. Krise, of Lynchburg, a position he held for five years. He then resigned, his ability as a financier rendering him of value to the Lynchburg Perpetual Loan and Building Company, a corporation which he served for nine years as secretary and treasurer. He then became the controlling owner of the company, and under his executive management its usefulness and prosperity have been most marked and satisfactory. He is vice-president of the Greenbriar Lumber Company, vice-president of the Tide Water Banking Company, of Roanoke, Virginia, is interested with his brother, Hubert B. Watts, in West Virginia coal and coke properties as an extensive operator, and has important commercial and financial interests of great local importance besides those mentioned. He is a member of the Court Street Methodist Episcopal Church.
Mr. Watts married Fanny C., daughter of Dr. Leighton and Mary P. (Hurt) Cheatwood, of Lynchburg; children: James Winston (2), born January 19, 1904; Thomas Ashby (2), July 27, 1906; Hubert Bruce (2), June 1, 1910. [Source: Encyclopedia of Virginia Biography, Vol. IV - Transcribed by Genealogy Trails Transcription Team]
Wilkinson, Jefferson H.
Jefferson H. Wilkinson, the subject of this sketch, was born in Bedford County, Virginia, October 27th, 1853. He is a son of Jefferson H. and America (Noell) Wilkinson, both natives of Bedford County. His grandfather, Captain Joseph Wilkinson was born in Bedford County, Virginia, also, and when the war of 1812 broke out with Great Britain, he commanded a company of infantry from Virginia. He was a farmer, as was his son, Jefferson Wilkinson, Sr., the latter dying at his Bedford County home, at the age of twenty-three years. He was survived by his widow who died six years later, or in 1859, leaving an only child, the subject of this sketch, an orphan. He was reared by a maiden aunt, Fannie G. Wilkinson, who died July 12th, 1895.
Captain James Noell, his maternal grandfather was a soldier in the War of 1812. When a boy, he attended the country schools, and a private school taught by the late William G. Claytor. For five years he was a country school-teacher, but removed to Roanoke in 1887, where he successfully conducted a planning mill for several years. Later he established his present business, that of dealing extensively in lumber, sash, doors, blinds, and building material. In addition to a large jobbing trade, which extends
over Southwest Virginia, he carries an immense retail trade in Roanoke and vicinity.
© Genealogy Trails