Genealogy Trails logo

Genealogy Trails logo

Dinwiddie County


BANISTER, John, a Delegate from Virginia; born at "Hatcher’s Run," near Petersburg, Dinwiddie County, Va., December 26, 1734; attended a private school at Wakefield, England, and was graduated in law from the Temple in London; returned to Virginia and commenced the practice of law in Petersburg; also engaged as a planter; member of the Virginia House of Burgesses in 1765, 1766-1774, and 1775; member of the conventions of 1775 and 1776; served in the State house of delegates in 1776, 1777, and 1781-1783; Member of the Continental Congress in 1778; one of the framers and signers of the Articles of Confederation; during the Revolutionary War served as major and lieutenant colonel of the Virginia Militia; died on his estate, "Hatcher’s Run," near Petersburg, Dinwiddie County, Va., on September 30, 1788; interment in the family burying ground on his estate.
Source: Biographical Directory of the United States Congress, 1771-Present. Contributed by Anna Newell

WILLIAM E. BEASLEY; Was born in Petersburg on June 4, 1842. He went to school at the Petersburg institute, and in 1859engaged with his father in the tobacco business. He entered the Confederate Army in April, 1861, lieutenant Company D, 12th Virginia Infantry. In 1862 he resigned and later again enlisted, this time in the cavalry service, Company B, 13th Virginia regiment. After the war he went to Louisville, Kentucky, and was in the tobacco business there for a year, then returned to Petersburg, where he has continued in the same business to the present time. His father, William H. Beasley, was born in Petersburg, and died in July, 1874, aged sixty-three years. His mother’s maiden name was Ann J. Bragg, is still living in Petersburg. His wife, whom he married March 25, 1864, is Mary J. Hill, born in Dinwiddie County, the daughter of Green Hill, who died in 1865, aged sixty years. Her mother, also now deceased, was Mary Eldredge, a descendant of Pocahontas. Mr. and Mrs. Beasley have three sons: Edwin H., Percy and Hill, and one daughter, Mary E.
(Source:  Virginia and Virginians:  History of Vol 2; by Robert Alonzo Brock, Virgil Anson Lewis; publ.  1888; transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack)

Benteen, Frederick William, soldier, was born Aug. 24, 1834, in Petersburg, Va. He war in 1861-65; was colonel of the United States volunteers; and he served gallantly in numerous battles and skirmishes. He was a brigadier-general of the Missouri militia; and he was brevetted a brigadier-general of the United States army. He resided in Atlanta, Ga.; where he was prominent in the business and public affairs of that city. He died about 1898 in Atlanta,
[Herringshaw’s National Library of American Biography: Contains Thirty-five Thousand Biographies of the Acknowledged Leaders of Life and Thought of the United States, by William Herringshaw, 1909 – Transcribed by Therman Kellar]

  J UDGE DAVID MEADE BERNARD; Judge Bernard was born in Petersburg, on May 11, 1840. His parents, both now deceased, were Virginians, his father, David Meade Bernard, born in King George County, and his mother, Sallie A. Field was born in Brunswick County. His marriage was solemnized in Brunswick County, on December 21, 1870, by Revs. J.  H. Morrison and O. A. Glazebrook, and his wife is Lutie B., daughter of Dr. Edward A. Morrison. She was born in Brunswick County, August 2, 1854. Dr. Morrison, her father, was born in Lunenberg County, Virginia, and is now deceased. Her mother, whose maiden name was Lucia B. Hackley has been dead some years. The children of Judge and Mrs. Bernard are: Lutie M., Sallie F., Mary M., Willie M. (deceased), David M. and Richard F..
Judge Bernard went to school in Petersburg until 1857, and then was sent to Hampden-Sidney College, where he was graduated in 1860. He entered the Confederate States Army in May, 1851, private in Company K, 12th Virginia Infantry, was transferred to 10th Virginia Cavalry in 1864, and served through the war; was wounded on March 31, 1865, near Dinwiddie C. H., and captured at Richmond, at the time of the evacuation. After the war he returned to his home in Orange, studied law, and was admitted to the bar in Brunswick County in May, 1866. He practiced in that and adjoining counties until 1881, when he removed to Petersburg, where he was in practice until January, 1886, when he entered upon the duties of Judge of the Husting’s Court of Petersburg, which position he is still filling.
(Source:  Virginia and Virginians:  History of Vol 2; by Robert Alonzo Brock, Virgil Anson Lewis; publ.  1888; transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack)

The subject of this sketch was born August 27, 1837, in the county of Culpeper, Virginia, his father being David M. Bernard, for many years the clerk of the corporation court of Petersburg, and his mother Elizabeth M. Bernard, a daughter of Wm. Ash by of Culpeper County. The families of both parents are of English origin and have resided in Virginia for many generations.
In 1855 Mr. Bernard entered the University of Virginia, and was a student there for two years. Leaving college in 1857, he taught school in the county of Essex, Virginia, for nine months. In 1859 he was admitted to the Bar in the city of Petersburg. Upon the breaking out of the late war he entered the military service and served as a member of the 12th Virginia Infantry, C. S. A. At the battle of Crampton Gap, Maryland, September 14, 1862, he was severely wounded and captured, and at the battle of Hatcher's Run, February 6, 1865, he was slightly wounded.
For several months immediately after the close of the war, Mr. Bernard was connected with the Petersburg Daily Express as a reporter. This position, however, in December, 1865, he gave up and devoted himself exclusively to his profession, which he has since actively pursued. During the last few years he has worthily filled several positions of public trust. Between 1870 and 1879 he was for several years a member of the city school board of Petersburg. From 1877 to 1879 he was one of the delegates representing the city of Petersburg in the legislature. Whilst a member of the General Assembly he took a prominent part in its proceedings, originating and successfully carrying through several important acts of legislation, among them the law requiring insurance companies to print the restrictive provisions in their policies in large type. For his services in this matter he was complimented by a caricature in an insurance journal, no mean tribute to the merits of the law, which, though popular with the policy holders, was at that time very objectionable to the insurance companies.
During the last ten years Mr. Bernard has frequently written for the press. In 1885 he published a pamphlet entitled "Civil Service Reform vs. The Spoila System," which has been widely read and very favorably received.
In June, 1870, the subject of this sketch married Fanny Rutherford. a daughter of the late Saiul J. Rutherford, of Richmond, Virginia, and a niece of Gov. John Rutherford, a sketch of whom is given in the first volume of this work. The issues of their marriage are five children: Fanny R., Kate E., Janet M., Ella A., and George S.
(Source:  Virginia and Virginians:  History of Vol 2; by Robert Alonzo Brock, Virgil Anson Lewis; publ.  1888; transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack)

GENERAL STITH BOILING; He was born in Lunenburg County Virginia on February '28, 1835, the son of John Stith Boiling and Mary T. Boiling, nee Irby. His mother died in 1877, and his father died June 15, 1888, aged eighty years. On May 9, 1860, General Boiling married Cornelia Scott Forrest, who was born in Nottoway County, Virginia. Their children are four: Mary E., Cornelia I., Jesse S. and Stith F. The subject of this sketch attended the Laurel Hill School, Lunenburg County, and took an academic course, Mt. Lebanon Academy. He farmed until 1858, he then engaged in merchandising in Richmond till the opening of the war. He entered the Confederate Army in April, 1861, Company G, 9th Virginia Cavalry und was promoted first sergeant, lieutenant, captain. In 1863 he was appointed acting assistant adjutant general, staff of Gen. W. H. F. Lee. Although six times wounded he served till the close of the war. His wounds were received: First, near Culpeper C. H.; second, near Green House; third, at Morton's Ford: fourth, at Guinea Station; fifth near Petersburg; sixth, at Gaines Mills.
He returned to Lunenburg County after the war and farmed until 1869, in which year he was elected to the Virginia legislature from Lunenburg County. He was re-elected in 1872 and served until 1874. Governor Kemper then appointed him tobacco inspector for Virginia, in which position he served until l 880. He was then appointed postmaster at Petersburg und filled that office a little over four years. He is now connected with the Onks Warehouse Co., tobacco, Petersburg. General Boiling has also served as president of the Lunatic asylum board, and president of the board of education, Petersburg.
(Source:  Virginia and Virginians:  History of Vol 2; by Robert Alonzo Brock, Virgil Anson Lewis; publ.  1888; transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack)

BRADY, James Dennis (1843-1900), a Representative from Virginia; born in Portsmouth, North Hampton County, Va., April 3, 1843; merchant; lawyer, private practice; New York Volunteers, until 1865; clerk of the corporation court of Portsmouth, Va., 1865-1877; collector of internal revenue for the second district of Virginia, 1877-1885, 1889-1900; delegate to the Republican National Conventions, 1880, 1888, and 1896; elected as a Republican to the Forty-ninth Congress (March 4, 1885-March 3, 1887); was not a candidate for renomination in 1886; member of the Republican National Committee, 1888-1892; died on November 30, 1900, in Petersburg, Va.; interment in St. Joseph’s Cemetery, Petersburg Va.
(Source: Biographical Directory of the US Congress 1774-Present)

Hancock Lee Bragg, a prominent business man of New York City, was born at Petersburg, Virginia, February 23, 1874.  His father was William Albert Bragg, who was born at Petersburg, Virginia, in 1844, and his mother was Elizabeth Madison (Lee) Bragg, daughter of John Hancock and Fanny Madison (Willis) Lee, of Orange county, Virginia.  William Albert Bragg was a tobacconist at Richmond, Virginia, a great part of his life, and served as a lieutenant in a Virginia regiment of the Confederate army during the civil war.  On his mother's side Mr. Bragg is a scion of the distinguished Lee family of Virginia, and is connected with other families whose names occur frequently in the history of that state.
On the maternal side Mr. Bragg is descended from Richard Lee, usually described as "the Colonel," the American founder of the Lee family, who settled in Virginia in the early part of the seventeenth century, and died there probably early in 1664, certainly before April 20, 1664.  He made several voyages to England bringing back settlers whom he settled on land improved at his own expense, finally making his home in Northumberland county, Virginia.  He married one Anna, who after his death married (second) Edmund Lister.  Among the children of Richard and Anna Lee was Hancock, ancestor of what has been called the "Ditchley" branch of the family to which Mr. Bragg through his mother belongs.
Hancock Lee, son of Richard and Anna Lee, was born in 1653, probably at Dividing Creeks, in Northumberland county, and died May 25, 1709, being buried at "Ditchley," where his tombstone can still be seen with its inscription perfectly legible.  This burying ground was used by this branch of the family for several generations, probably until the estate was sold in 1789 to Colonel James Ball Jr., whose descendants own it today.  Hancock Lee is supposed to have settled in Northampton at the time of his first marriage in 1675, and to have returned to Northumberland county about 1686.  The record of the public positions held by him, perhaps only partial, seems to agree with this supposition.  He was justice for Northampton county in 1677, and held a similar position in Northumberland in 1687 and 1699, and was also a burgess for Northumberland county in 1688.  A list of civil offices, dated June 3, 1699, names him as the "Naval Officer and Collector of Virginia Dutys [sic] in Northumberland County;" another list of the date of 1702 mentions him as a justice, showing him to have been in commission at the time of his death.  The Northern Neck land records show that Hancock Lee patented land in Richmond county, on both sides of Rappahannock Horsepen Run and adjoining his own land, on the north side of Occoquan, in Stafford county, at the heads of the branches of Chapowamsie, in Stafford, and adjoining the land of Captain Thomas Harrison.
It has usually been stated that Hancock Lee built the old Ditchley mansion about 1687, but there is no evidence to substantiate this tradition.  It is not even positively known whether the immigrant lived at "Ditchley" or "Cobb's Hall."  Hancock Lee's will was made December 31, 1706, and was probated at Northumberland Court House, July 20, 1709.  Of Hancock Lee, Bishop Meade wrote: "That He was a patron of the Church is shown by the fact that he presented a communion cup to the parish in 1729.  In honor either of himself or father, or the whole family, the parish was called Lee parish, as may be seen by the inscription on the cup.  It was often called Wycomico.  After the downfall of the parish Mr. Joseph Ball placed this and other pieces into my hands for preservation, in the hope that the day might come when the old Lee and more modern Wycomico parish might call for it again."  The cup is now in use in the old Wycomico church.  He married (first) in 1675, Mary, the only daughter of Colonel William Kendall; and (second) Sarah, daughter of Colonel Isaac Allerton, of Westmoreland.  Children: William, born prior to 1682, died young and without issue before 1706; Anna, prior to January 5, 1682, and was living as late as October, 1754, married (first) William Armistead, and (second) William Eustace; Richard, born August 18, 1691; (by the second marriage): Isaac, 1707, died in England in 1727; John, born probably in 1709, died August 11, 1789; Hancock, mentioned below; Elizabeth, born 1711, married Zachary Taylor.
Hancock (2) Lee, son of Hancock (1) and Sarah (Allerton) Lee, was born in 1709, and died near Warrenton, in Fauquier county, sometime prior to August, 1789.  He lived during the later years of his life at Warrenton, in Fauquier county, but when he settled there is not known.  In 1729 a Hancock Lee patented three hundred and ninety-three acres in King William county, and sold four hundred in 1751 for one hundred and fifteen pounds sterling.  One of the name was justice for King George county, in 1745.  He married, in 1733, Mary, daughter of Colonel Henry Willis, of Fredericksburg. Children: Willis, who went to Kentucky, in 1774; Hancock (3), mentioned below; John; Henry; Richard, died unmarried; Sarah Alexander, who married Colonel John Gillison; Mary Willis, died March, 1798, who married Captain Ambrose Madison.
Hancock (3) Lee, son of Hancock (2) and Mary (Willis) Lee, was born in 1736, and died in 1815.  He was to all appearances a civil engineer by profession.  He accompanied his elder brother, Willis Lee, and his cousin, Hancock Taylor, to Kentucky in 1771.  By the latter's will he inherited lands in that state.  He was also employed by the Ohio Company to survey their lands.  George Mason, of Gunston, wrote: "Captain Hancock Lee and one Mr. Lee are returned from surveying the Ohio Company's two hundred thousand acres of land, and are now here making out their returns and settling their accounts, in assisting which I am closely engaged, as I wish to have everything as clear and as regular as possible."  Captain Hancock Lee married Winifred, daughter of John Beale, of Westmoreland.  Children: Arthur; Pamela; Mary Frances; Anne; Willis, mentioned below; Hancock; Thomas; Emeline, who married a Mr. Richards, and died without issue; Elizabeth, who married Captain Sangster of Fauquier county and also died without leaving any issue.

Willis Lee, son of Hancock (3) and Winifred (Beale) Lee, married Mary Richards.  Their children were: John Hancock, mentioned below; Mary Willis, who married Thomas Scott Ashton, who was born in 1803 and died in 1873, the sixth and youngest son of Major Lawrence Ashton and Elizabeth (Scott) Ashton, his wife, residing in Fauquier county.

John Hancock Lee, son of Willis and Mary (Richards) Lee, was born in 1805, and died in October, 1873, being buried at Montpelier, in Orange county.  Though born in Fauquier county, Mr. Lee spent the greater part of his life in Orange county, which county he represented for many years in the Virginia assembly.  He was educated at Princeton, and later studied law at the University of Virginia.  Being in attendance at the latter institution when Lafayette made his visit there he was chosen to welcome the distinguished Frenchman on the part of the students.  He married (first) Mary, daughter of Dr. John and Nellie Conway (Madison) Willis; (second) Fannie, daughter of Lewis and Lucy (Madison) Willis; and (third) Mary, daughter of Sydney Jones, of Petersburg.  Children: 1. Letitia, married Dr. Robert Madison and had Letitia and Mary, who died young.  2. Nellie Conway, born in 1826, and died in 1875.  3. Lewis Herman, born March 7, 1849, died July 30, 1878; married, October 12, 1876, Georgia Garland, daughter of the Rev. J. S. Hansborough, and had one daughter, Mary Madison, born March, 1878.  4. Elizabeth, or Lizzie Madison, married William Albert Bragg, of Richmond; children: Hancock Lee, mentioned below; Elise Calvin; Fannie Madison.
Hancock Lee Bragg, son of William Albert and Elizabeth Madison (Lee) Bragg, was educated in public and private schools of Richmond, Virginia, where he prepared for college.  When he was old enough he entered Richmond College, and remained in that institution for a period of two years.  At the end of that time he entered into business life and became connected with the Richmond Tobacco Company, subsequently leaving that firm to join the firm of Kinney Brothers Tobacco Company of Richmond.  He left that company to go into the tobacco leaf business with his father, having by that time also travelled as representative of T. C. Williams & Company, manufacturing tobacconists.  Afterwards he was general bookkeeper for the Merchants' National Bank, Richmond, Virginia, filling that post for a period of four years.  He then became connected with the Sterling Varnish Company of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, becoming also one of its board of directors, an office filled by him during a space of seven years, at the end of which time, in 1905, he came to New York City.  There he formed a connection with the firm of Emil Cralman Company, dealers in varnishes and japan, being now manager of the insulating department.  Mr. Bragg is a member of the Southern Society of New York, the Virginians of New York City, the Railroad Club, and the Phi Delta Theta.  In politics he is a Democrat, and in religion belongs to the Protestant Episcopal church.  Mr. Bragg's sister, Elise Calvin, married Granville Gray Valentine, of Richmond, and they have one daughter, Elizabeth Lee. His second sister, Fannie Madison, married George Small, of York, Pennsylvania, their children' being: Elizabeth Lee, Katherine, and Anna.  Mr. Hancock Lee Bragg is himself unmarried.
(Source: Encyclopedia of Virginia Biographies - Vol. IV. Transcriber: Chris Davis)

THOMAS JAY BURGESS; Thomas a member of an old and highly respectable family in England came to this country in 1640, locating in Rhode Island. He was principally noted for benevolence and charity, richly earning the title of "Goodman" Burgess. Among his earliest descendants may be mentioned George Burgess, D. D. Bishop of Maine, and the famous Tristam Burgess, the  “Eagle Eye" of Rhode Island, one of America's greatest orators, the opponent of Randolph in many a contest in the Halls of Congress and one whose mime will ever stand high on the tablet of fame in his native State. A portion of the family moved to Connecticut, where, in 1800, William Burgess was born. At six years of age, he moved with his parents to Central New York, locating in Herkimer County, where he grew to manhood, marrying in his nineteenth year Lois Harding, members of whose family had already moved to Kentucky; and in time connecting their name indissolubly with the history of that State. They raised a large family, seven sons living to manhood. He with his wife and sons Lewis and Rush moved to Virginia, where he became interested in building the plank road from Petersburg to Boydton, purchasing from Mrs. Goodwyn a large plantation on Hatcher's Run, and erecting thereon large grist and saw mills, his sons Clark and John moving down shortly after their completion and uniting with him in business. These mills together with all other buildings were totally destroyed during the war, and the land torn up and rendered almost valueless by forts, breastworks, etc., for it was here that the "Battle of Hatcher's Run." or " Burgess' Mill," was fought. At the close of the war his son Clark rebuilt the place and restored it to its former usefulness. Here they spent nearly all the remaining years of their long lives; they now rest with their sons, David, William, John and Lewis (who was killed in battle), in old Blanford Cemetery.
Clark Burgess was born in Herkimer County, New York, June 1, 1827; in his twenty-third year was married to Gertrude A. Walker, of the same county. He engaged in agriculture for a brief period, sold out, and moving to Richfield Springs, opened a general merchandise store, having business in Virginia at the same time. The war coming on, he remained at Richfield Springs and Herkimer until the close, when he discontinued business at the North, and moved his family to Virginia, where he rebuilt the old place on Hatcher's Run, and still lives enjoying the confidence and esteem of all who know him.
Thomas Jay Burgess, son of Clark Burgess, and his wife, Emily A., was born in Herkimer County, New York, August 12, 1854. His early childhood was spent at the North and in Virginia, where after the war he removed with his parents, living with them until his twenty-fourth year, on the old place at Hatcher's Run. Becoming tired of country life he determined to study dentistry. Commencing with Dr. Sherman, near Petersburg, but remaining only a short time with him, he then went to Fredericksburg, Virginia, as a student of Dr. Jas. F. Thompson; from there, after a short time spent at home, he went to Saginaw City, Michigan, and engaged work in the office of Dr. W. P. Morgan. During his stay in Michigan, he took one year's course at the Dental School of the University, and the next year graduated at the Philadelphia Dental College. He commenced practice in Petersburg, Virginia, May 1, 1882, and has been very successful, enjoying a large and lucrative practice. He was married on the 4th of January, 1888, to Mary Stuart Moore, daughter of the late Dr. Jno. R. Moore, of Ringwood, North Carolina, Rev. Matthew H. Moore, a brother of the bride, officiating.

Genealogy Trails logo

Copyright © Genealogy Trails