Foster Barnett was born in Fluvanna County, Va., as a slave, on May 9, 1851. He had no educational advantages, and at the age of sixteen years obtained his freedom; when Lincoln's Emancipation Proclamation took effect, he went to work as a laborer on the Chesapeake & Ohio Railroad, where he worked until the completion of the road, when, in 1873, he located in Brazil, where he has been engaged in mining coal, which he has successfully followed ever since. On May 27, 1877, he was married to Gracie Allen, who has borne him three children, only one of whom is living - Elizabeth, one dying in infancy, and Daisy A., dying at the age of two years. Mrs. Barnett was born in Virginia on March 21, 1861, and moved with her parents to Brazil in 1875. Mr. Barnett is a very industrious, economical man, and has saved his earnings from the mines until he has now a title clear to a neat, commodious little home. When he came to Brazil he could neither read nor write, but he began immediately to take an interest in societies, applied himself to books during his leisure hours, and he soon acquired a knowledge of both accomplishments, and for five years he has been Secretary of the church of which he is a consistent member. He is also a member of the I.O. 0. F.,of which order he has for two years been Secretary. [Counties of Clay & Owen Indiana Historial & Biographical Illustrated by Charles Blanchard, Editor Chicago: F. A. Battey & Co. Publishers 1884 - Tr. by Genealogy Trails]
Cary, Lucius Falkland
The Carys, a family prominent in Virginia colonial history, are descended from the ancient Devonshire family of Cary, of which collateral branches have been conspicuous in England as Earls of Hunsdon, Monmouth and Dover, and as Barons of Falkland. Branches are still seated at Tor Abbey and Follaton. The earliest mention of the name is in the case of Adam De Kari, who in 1198 is mentioned as Lord of Castle Cary, in Somerset county, whither he probably migrated from Devon, who married Amy, daughter of Sir William Trewit, Knight. The Devonshire "Herald's Visitation" of 1620 gives fourteen generations of his descendants. His grandson's grandson was Sir John Cary, Knight, chief baron of exchequer in the reign of King Henry IV, who was banished into Ireland for political offences [sic]. Prior to his time the spelling of the name De Kari seems to have prevailed. His son, Sir Robert Cary, was a favorite of King Henry V.
In his time came out of Aragon a lusty gentleman into England, and challenged to do feites of arms with any English gentleman, without exception. This Robert Cary, hearing thereof, made suit forthwith to the Prince that he might answer the challenge * * * At the time and day prefix'd both parties met, and died perform sundrie feites of arms, but in the end this Robert gave the foils and overthrow to the Aragon Kt., disarmed and spoiled him, which his doing so well pleased the Prince that he received him into great favor, caused him to be restored to the most part of his father's lands and willed him also for a perpetual mcmorie of his victorie that he should thence forth give the same arms as did the Aragon Kt., which both he and all of his successors to this day enioyed, which is "Argent, on bend sable three roses argent," for before they did bear, "Gules, Chevron entre three swans argent." The arms of the Carys of Bristol and of Virginia were identical with those of Sir Robert Cary, of Devon, above referred to. There is a tradition in Virginia that Sir Henry Cary, Knight, a royalist leader, who went into exile after the defeat of Charles I, came to Virginia and left posterity, and some of the descendants of Miles have claimed descent from him.
Descended from Adam De Kari, perhaps in the tenth generation, was William Cary, born about 1500, mayor of Bristol, 1546, died 1572. His son, Richard, a merchant of Bristol, born 1525, died 1570, had a son William, born 1550, died 1632, who was, like his grandfather, mayor of Bristol, in 1611. William Cary, by his marriage with Alice Goodall, had seven sons, the third of whom, John, born in 1583, died in 1662, a merchant of Bristol, married Alice Hobson and was the father of Colonel Miles Cary, propositus of the Carys of Virginia. The seventh son of William and Alice (Goodall) Cary, James, born in 1600, died in 1681, came to Charlestown, Massachusetts, in 1639, and was the ancestor of the Massachusetts family of Cary, Richard Cary, aide-de-camp to General Washington, and Mrs. Agassiz being members of this branch.
He whom the branch of the family to which Lucius Falkland Cary, of Richmond, has as American ancestor is Colonel Miles Cary, above mentioned, born in Bristol, England, in 1620, died in 1667. He came to Virginia, 1640-46, and settled in Warwick county, where he married Anne, daughter of Thomas Taylor Hobson, one of the early settlers. He acquired and resided upon the estate known as "Magpie Swamps," obtained by his father-in-law, Captain Hobson, which he devised to his eldest son, Thomas. He was a member of the King's council, burgess, escheater general, and owned nearly two thousand acres of land, well stocked, and numerous slaves, besides a store and mill. He mentioned in his will two houses in England, presumably in Bristol, one in Ballaum, the other in St. Nicholas street, to be sold for the benefit of his daughters. He had seven children, four sons and three daughters, the line descending through Colonel Miles (2) Cary, royal naval officer of York river, burgess, surveyor general, and rector and trustee of William and Mary College. Colonel Miles (2) Cary married Mary Wilson; his son, Colonel Wilson Miles Cary, married Sarah Blair; his son, Major Wilson Cary, married Jane B. Carr; his son, Colonel Miles Cary, of "Oak Hill," Fluvanna county, Virginia, married Elizabeth Searsbrooke Wilson Curle, his entire branch of the family moving to the southwest, with the exception of Lucius Falkland Cary, his son, who returned to Virginia.
Lucius Falkland Cary, son of Colonel Miles Cary, and member of the seventh American generation of his line, was born at "Oak Hill," Fluvanna county, Virginia, December 14, 1815, and there passed his active years, his death occurring in 1845, at the early age of thirty years. He became a merchant of the city of Williamsburg, founded an important mercantile establishment, and was one of the most influential citizens and business men of the city, the business of which he was owner the largest of Williamsburg. Lucius F. Cary married Lucy Henley, born in Williamsburg, died in Richmond, Virginia, aged eighty years, and had two children, Hattie, married William Christian, deceased, and resides in Richmond, and Wilson Miles, of whom further.
Wilson Miles Cary, son of Lucius Falkland and Lucy (Henley) Cary, was born in Mississippi, October 7, 1843, although the family home was in Williamsburg. Not long after his birth his mother returned to Williamsburg and here Wilson Miles Cary was reared to manhood, pursuing his studies in the schools of the locality. When not yet of mature age he became a soldier in the Confederate States army, and fought in General Pickett's command until the close of the civil war, his war record one of valiant service and honorable sacrifice. His present home is in Richmond, where he lives retired, having for many years conducted an extensive and profitable business as a commission merchant, Richmond his place of business. He married (first) Anne E. Sublett, born in 1846, died in 1875, and had issue, Hunsdon, an attorney of Richmond, and Emily, married Thomas Marshall Jr., of Washington, D. C. By his second marriage with Lilias Blair, daughter of John B. McPhail, born at Mulberry Hill, Charlotte county, Virginia, he had children: Lucius Falkland, of whom further, and Lilias Blair, lives at home unmarried. Lilias Blair (McPhail) Cary is a daughter of John B. and Nannie (Carrington) McPhail, both natives of Virginia, her father born in Norfolk, a soldier in the home guard, participating in the action of the war with the states in the region of his home. Of his large family three survive: Nannie, married Colonel T. M. R. Talcott, of Bon Air, Virginia; Lilias Blair, of previous mention, married Wilson Miles Cary; Donald, a practicing physician of Charlotte county, Virginia.
Lucius Falkland (2) Cary, son of Wilson Miles Cary and his second wife, Lilias Blair (McPhail) Cary, was born in Richmond, Virginia, October 13, 1879. The private schools of Richmond prepared him for entrance at Hampden-Sidney College, after which he attended the University of Virginia, pursuing the academic course for two years. He then became vice-president of the Virginia-Carolina Hardware Company, subsequently returning to the University of Virginia, where he received the Bachelor's degree in law in 1907. While a student at the University of Virginia he was elected to membership in the Phi Delta Phi, the Chi Phi fraternities and other social organizations, and was also awarded membership in the Lambda Pi fraternity, an honor based solely upon scholarship. In the year of his graduation Mr. Cary established in the active work of his profession in Richmond and there has his office at the present time. The seven years of his continuance as an attorney of this city have witnessed the beginning of a career the brilliant promise of which is in full course of realization, and legal circles in Richmond have long held him in full membership. His club is the Westmoreland, and he is a communicant of the Second Presbyterian Church.
Mr. Cary married, in Richmond, Virginia, January 19, 1910, Alma Miller Cecil, born in Kentucky, daughter of Dr. Russell and Alma (Miller) Cecil, both natives of Kentucky. Dr. Russell Cecil is a minister of the Presbyterian faith and the pastor of the Second Presbyterian Church of that denomination in Richmond. Dr. and Mrs. Cecil are the parents of five children, four of whom reside in Richmond, Virginia, one in New York City. Mr. and Mrs. Cary are the parents of a son, Lucius Falkland Jr., born July 6, 1911, and a daughter, Cecil, born July 26, 1913, died June 16, 1914. (Source: Encyclopedia of Virginia Biographies - Vol. IV. Transcriber: Chris Davis)
Cary, Wilson Miles Esq.
First justice of peace of Fluvanna, born 1733, died 1817, son of Col. Wilson Cary and his wife Sarah Blair, daughter of Hon. John Blair, had several children; their daughter Sarah married Thomas Nelson in 1777, Fluvanna's first marriage. (From the Records of Dr. Ancell, which may be found in the archives of Virginia. "The Omohundro Genealogical Record" by Malvern Hill Omohundro; McClure Print. Co., 1951. Submitted by K. T.)
Davis, Lawrence S.
Lawrence S. Davis, the subject of this sketch, is at present Treasurer of the city of Roanoke. He was born in Fluvanna County, Virginia, December 1st, 1871, and is the eldest son of Dr. J. Waddy and Anne Elizabeth (Apperson) Davis. His parents now reside near Cave Spring in Roanoke County. Dr. J. Waddy Davis was an assistant surgeon in the Confederate Army and had charge of Richmond Hospital during the Civil War. For many years he was connected with the Roanoke Times and with the Evening World as city editor and editor, preferring journalism to the practice of medicine. After the war. Dr. Davis removed to St. Charles, Missouri, and it was there that Lawrence S. Davis received his early education. Leaving the State of Missouri, the family located in Roanoke, where young Davis attended Alleghany Institute. He later accepted a position with the Roanoke Times, which he relinquished to accept a place with the late P. L. Terry in the banking business. This position he held for ten years, when he purchased the insurance business of the Roanoke Trust, Loan and Safe Deposit Company, and soon afterwards associated with him Mr. W. C. Stephenson, under the firm name of Davis & Stephenson, writers of general insurance. Mr. Davis is president of the firm, which is now erecting a $10,000 office building on Kirk Avenue. In November, 1905, he was elected City Treasurer, and was again reelected in November, 1909, for a term of four years. On November 19th, 1901, he was married to Blanche Rorer, daughter of P. H. Rorer, and a niece of the late Ferdinand Rorer and Elijah McClanahan. He is a director in the Colonial Bank and Trust Company, and socially is a Knight Templar, Shriner, Elk and Red Man, besides being identified with several other organizations. Politically, he is a Democrat. [History of Roanoke County by George S. Jack, Edward Boyle Jacobs; published 1915; Submitted to Genealogy Trails by Andrea Stawski Pack.]
ADJUTANT, 52D VIRGINIA INFANTRY. Died in the hospital, at Winchester, Virginia, on the 6th of October, 1864, from a wound received in battle near Winchester on the 19th of September, Lieutenant William Galt, adjutant of the 52d Virginia Infantry, youngest son of William Galt, Esq., of "Glenarvon," Fluvanna County, Virginia, in the twenty-third year of his age. Willie Galt was one of the many ingenuous youths of Virginia whose parents, seeking for their sons an education based on the principles of sound science and Christian morality, placed them in the Episcopal High School at Howard, near Alexandria. There, under the affectionate and watchful care of a principal who became alike endeared to parents and children, he evinced a docility of disposition, an eagerness for learning, a cheerful submission to rule and authority, and an abstinence from evil habits and practices, which, while they gained for him scholastic honors and personal esteem, might have served almost as an example for the young men of that higher sister institution, the Theological Seminary, whose influence is to-day so widely felt throughout the Church and country. Alas, that even the nurseries of evangelical truth, of solid literature, and of true piety were not spared by our enemies! Willie Galt during the four years he was at the High School never failed at the close of each season to bring home gratifying certificates of his deportment and scholarship, and never but once did he, receive a demerit After leaving the High School, he was for a time at the classical school of Mr. Dinwiddie, Greenwood Depot, Albemarle County, where he remained until he entered the Virginia Military Institute, in the summer of 1860. At the beginning of the war he was a cadet at the Institute in the first year of his course. Leaving there with his corps, by order of the Governor, three days after the ordinance of secession, he was employed as one of the drill-masters at Camp Lee from April until July, when he went to Staunton, and acted in the same capacity until elected second lieutenant of Captain James H. Skinner's company, 52d Regiment, then commanded by Colonel John B. Baldwin. With this regiment he commenced his military career at Camp Alleghany, in the Northwestern Virginia campaign. A severe attack of fever caused his removal to Staunton just before the battle of Alleghany, fought by General Edward Johnson, in which his regiment bore an honorable part. On his recovery from this illness he served as adjutant of the post, under Colonel Baldwin, at Staunton, until the exercises of the Institute were resumed in January following, when he resigned his commission and returned to his academic duties. But he was never satisfied at having done so; and, therefore, he the more gladly marched with the corps to McDowell to reinforce General Jackson on the occasion of the memorable surprise and defeat of Milroy at that place. While thus with the army his old company elected him second lieutenant in the place of one who had died From that time he served as such until appointed, in the same summer, adjutant of the regiment He was soon after painfully wounded at the battle of Port Republic, but rejoined his regiment on its return from the first Maryland campaign, and was never afterwards absent, except on short furlough or from severe sickness, with which he was again attacked in the spring of 1864. He was in the Maryland and Pennsylvania campaign of 1863, at the battle of Gettysburg, and in all the battles of the campaign of 1864 around Richmond, until he marched with General Early's army to Lynchburg, and thence to Washington, participating actively in the operations of that army, and was severely wounded in the thigh on the 19th of September in the battle before Winchester. His regiment having suffered very seriously in the battle-of Spotsylvania Court-House, and being subsequently still further reduced, he was urged by a friend to apply for a transfer. "No," he replied; "I could never leave the war worn regiment I must stand by it while there is a section left!" He did stand by it, bravely and well, to the last, behaving, as he had always done, even in the midst of disaster, with conspicuous gallantry, self-possession, and skill. It was a noble tribute to his merit and conduct as an officer when the surgeon of his regiment, who had long known and observed him, and had devoted himself to him in the enemy's hospital, standing over his dead body, said, with emphasis,, " He was worth to the army a hundred men." But, while ever conscientious, prompt, and attentive to duty, as an officer and a gentleman,—and, therefore, his loss severely felt by his companions in arms,—these were not alone or chiefly the qualities which cause a large circle of private friends deeply to mourn for him. In tenderness to mother, sisters, and brothers; in nice regard for the feelings of all; in a most amiable and obliging temper; in strict morality, uniform propriety of deportment, and singular purity of thought and expression, he was scarcely surpassed. Combined with these graces of character was a great deal of manly firmness and uprightness; and in the hour of death he evinced a fortitude under suffering which attracted the observation and remark of all who approached him. When wounded in the battle before Winchester, he was taken by his comrades to a hospital in that town, and there necessarily abandoned in the further retreat of our army. Friends of his mother and of his family promptly went to his relief, and would have removed him to their own house had removal been practicable or desirable. Their attentions, although surrounded by the enemy, were unceasing, and were recognized by him in grateful messages to his friends at home. To one of those dear ladies who inquired if he would have anything to read, he replied, "No, I have my Testament, and that is all I care for." These same true-hearted and devoted ladies, led by one whose name is a synonym for all that is pure and lovely in woman, remained with him until his brave spirit passed away in peaceful death; and then, making every arrangement that could be thought of as comforting to an absent, bereaved mother, they strewed his coffin with flowers, and buried the young soldier, whom they had known but to administer to and admire, in their own beautiful Mount Hebron. May He who can alone adequately reward such conduct bless, preserve, and keep them for their kindness to him and the many others—the sick and the wounded of our army— whom they have nursed, comforted, and assisted! (Source: Biographical sketches of the Graduates and Eleves of the Virginia Military Institute who fell during the war between the States, by Chas. D. Walker. Published 1875. Transcribed and submitted to Genealogy Trails by Linda Rodriguez)
Gray, Alfred Leftwich M.D.
This surname is evolved from De Croy, and was first borne by a descendant of Rolf, a Norman chief, who, in the ninth century, invaded France. This descendant received from Robert, Duke of Normandy, the castle and honor of Croy, from which the family assumed the name, later De Gray, and finally Gray. The name came to England with William the Conqueror, where it became Grey, the Scotch branch using the form Gray. Nesbit's Heraldry mentions "Paganus de Gray, equitum signifer to King William" and "Gray, Earl-of Kent, chief of the ancient and illustrious house of Gray." From Burke's Peerage it is learned that "the family of Gray is of great antiquity in Northumberland." The earliest record of the ancestors of Dr. Alfred L. Gray, of Richmond, Virginia, is found in the muster roll of James City and Island, 1624, "Thomas Graye, Margaret, his wife, William, their son, aged three years, Jane, their daughter, aged six years." This "Thomas Graye" is believed to have been the direct ancestor of John Gray, father of Colonel William Gray, who located in Goochland county, Virginia, and was the great-grandfather of Dr. Alfred L. Gray. On the maternal side, Dr. Gray's great-great-grandfather was Captain John Leftwich, of Bedford, Virginia, father of Rev. William Leftwich, of Bedford county, father of Rev. James Leftwich, of Bedford, father of Bettie Ann Leftwich, wife of Alphonso A. Gray and mother of Dr. Gray. Colonel William Gray gained his military title in the war of 1812. He was for a time engaged in mercantile business in Richmond, later moved to Goochland county, where he died, possessed of a considerable estate. He married Jane, daughter of General John Guervant.
Dr. William Alfred Gray (from whom Dr. Alfred L. Gray derives his given name), son of Colonel William Gray, was born in Goochland county, Virginia, and became a prominent physician. He was a Whig in politics, later a Democrat, and a communicant of the Baptist church. He married, in 1831, Mary Ann Brooks, of Fluvanna county, Virginia.
Alphonso Alexander Gray, son of Dr. William Alfred Gray, was born May 22, 1835, and became one of the leading lawyers of the state of Virginia, continuing in active practice until his death, November 12, 1908. He was physically unfit for service in the field during the war between the states, but served in the "Home Guard," rendering the cause such assistance as his health permitted. He represented Fluvanna county in the Virginia house of delegates during the reconstruction period following the war; was commonwealth's attorney of the county for several years, and active in local and state politics. He was a member and vice-president of the Virginia State Bar Association, and was held in highest esteem by his professional brethren. He was a member of the Baptist church, a Democrat in politics, and in all things the upright, high-minded gentleman. He married (first) Sallie Terrill Shepherd, who bore him, May 4, 1865, a daughter, Willie Blanche, who married F. T. Shepherd, of Texas. He married (second) April 28, 1870, Bettie Ann Leftwich, born January 23, 1842, daughter of Rev. James Leftwich, a minister of the Baptist church, son of Rev. William Leftwich, son of Captain John Leftwich, an officer of the Continental army, son of Colonel William Leftwich, member of the revolutionary committee of Bedford county, Virginia, a direct descendant of Robert de Leftwich, of "Leftwich Hall," Cheshire, England. "Leftwich Hall" was an estate granted by William the Conqueror to Richard de Vernon, Baron of Shipbrook, who came with the Conqueror to England. After three generations the estate passed to Robert de Croxton, who married a third generation descendant of Richard de Vernon. This Robert de Croxton assumed the name Robert de Leftwich from the Leftwich Hall estate. Children of Alphonso A. Gray and his second wife, Bettie Ann (Leftwich) Gray: Alfred Leftwich, of whom further; Ernest Alphonso, born February 14, 1878.
Dr. Alfred Leftwich Gray was born at Palmyra, Fluvanna county, Virginia, October 2, 1873. His early education was obtained under his mother's careful instruction at home, the first school he ever attended being Fluvanna Central High School at Palmyra, where but four sessions were necessary to prepare him for college, so well had he been taught at home. In 1890 he entered the University of Virginia, where he pursued academic study for two and one-half sessions. In 1894 he entered the medical department of the University of Virginia, whence he was graduated M. D. in 1897. He was interne at Pennsylvania Hospital, Philadelphia, locating in Richmond in 1898, and there beginning active practice, the years since spent there bringing him recognition as a learned, skillful and honorable physician. His learning and experience have not been absorbed by private patients only, but as instructor, professor and dean of the University College of Medicine, the entire state has profitted [sic]. Dr. Gray became connected officially with this institution in 1899 as instructor in anatomy. In 1901 he was elected professor of physiology, which chair he yet fills. In 1902 he was also placed in charge of the Roentgen Ray department of Virginia Hospital, and is now (1914) serving as treasurer of the American Roentgen Ray Society. In 1909 he was elected dean of the University College of Medicine. Upon the merger of the Medical College of Virginia and the University College of Medicine, which went into effect with the beginning of the 1913-14 session, as the Medical College of Virginia, Dean Gray was elected professor of physiology, associate professor of Roentgenology, and chairman of the Medical School of the merged colleges. He continued general private practice until 1908, when he limited his practice to Roentgenology, and is now Roentgenologist to the Virginia Hospital, the Memorial Hospital, St. Luke's Hospital, Grace Hospital, and Stuart Circle Hospital, all of Richmond. It is seldom that recognition so satisfactory and honorable comes to a professional man of Dr. Gray's years. The honors that have come to him have been fairly earned, for as student, interne, physician, professor or dean, he has given of his best, with an energy and zeal that have been tireless. There is no element of manhood lacking in his character, and whatever honors the future may bestow they will be earned and as well deserved as those of the past. He is a member of many professional and scientific societies, and is connected with the following college fraternities and organizations: Phi Kappa Sigma, Eli Banana, "Z," O. F. C., "13 Club" (University of Virginia). His other clubs are the Westmoreland, Country of Virginia, and the Richmond Automobile. His church membership is with the Second Baptist Church of Richmond, his wife belonging to Centenary Methodist Episcopal Church. In political faith he is a Democrat. Dr. Gray married, December 23, 1903, at Charlottesville, Virginia, Alice Lear Clark, born in Petersburg, Virginia, August 27, 1879, daughter of Lyman Emery and Alice Ann (Lear) Clark, her father auditor and assistant treasurer of the Atlantic Coast Line Railroad. She has a sister, Ruth Leigh, and a brother, Lyman Emery (2) Clark. Children: Alfred Leftwich (2), born July 11, 1907; Ernest Emery, July 2, 1909. [Source: Encyclopedia of Virginia Biographies - Vol. IV. Transcribed by Chris Davis ]
Telfair Hodgson, clergyman, born in Columbia, Va., March 14, 1840; died in Sewanee, Tenn., Sept 11, 1893. He was graduated at the College of New Jersey in 1859; served through the greater part of the civil war as a chaplain in the Confederate army; was rector of a Protestant Episcopal parish in Keyport, N. J., in 1866-71; professor in the University of Alabama in 1871-73; assistant in Christ Church, Baltimore, in 1878-74: rector of Trinity Church, Hoboken, in 1874-78; and Vice-Chancellor of the University of the South in 1878-'90. On resigning from the University he founded the "Sewanee Review" and became its editor. He received the degree of D. D. from the University of the South in 1878, and LL. D. from Hobart College. His service in the University of the South will long be remembered by reason of his gift to it of the Hodgson Library. (Source: Appleton’s Annual Cyclopedia and Register of Important Events 1893. Vol. XVIII. Published 1894. Contributed by Robyn Greenlund)
Holman, Dr. George P.
DR. GEORGE P. HOLMAN, a retired physician, capitalist and pioneer, has the honor of having been the first member of the medical profession to register for practice in San Saba [Tex]. Born in Fluvanna county, Virginia, May 13, 1848, he was a student in the famous Virginia Military Institute at Lexington, and from that noted institution he in 1863, at the age of fifteen, went into the Confederate army, being a member of the Corps of Cadets, and he remained in service in a battalion under General Ewall on the north line of Richmond. After his return from the war he studied in the University of Virginia, and the medical course which he began in that institution was completed in the New York College of Physicians and Surgeons (now Columbia University) with the class of 1872. Dr. Holman's first practice was in Montgomery county, Virginia, where he remained until 1874, coming in that year to San Saba, Texas. He was the only physician here for some time, and his frontier practice involved long horseback rides to distant ranch headquarters and cow camps. Going to California in 1886 he spent a few years in the Golden state, and since returning to San Saba has gradually retired from the active practice of medicine. He has a beautiful home here, as well as valuable property interests in and adjoining the city, his real estate interests bringing him handsome returns. Dr. Holman married Miss Mary Ward, born in Austin, a daughter of the late T. W. Ward, the pioneer merchant and banker of San Saba. They have five children: A. P., Mary, Virginia, George and Ward. The two daughters are members of the Catholic sisterhood. (Source: Some Historical Facts in Regard to the Settlement of Victoria Texas; Its Progress and Present Status, by Victor M. Born; Daily Times Print; Laredo, TX: transcribed by Susan Geist)
Was born in Fluvanna county, Virginia, April 4, 1835, and came to this county in 1857. His father, Henry Johnson, was born in the county of Fluvanna, July 4, 1772, and died in the same county in June, 1850. His mother, Mary C. (Strong) Johnson, is a native of the same county, born April 15, 1792, and died August 3, 1877. Walter Johnson was a soldier in the war of 1861. He enlisted in a Virginia regiment and served three years. He was a participant in the battle of Vicksburg from the first to the last, forty-seven days in all. In the retreat from Lynchburg to Kanawah Valley, he was five days and night without food or sleep, being in General Hunter's command. Mr. Johnson was married in this county, June 6, 1869, to Annie E. Williams, who is a native of this county, born April 28, 1845. She is a daughter of John and Lucia (Sartin) Williams. Her father died February 18, 1879, and her mother in October, 1876. The children of this marriage are: John J., born May 5, 1870; Ernsey S., November 3, 1871; Lucy M., February 3, 1873; Lu Altea, December 16, 1874; William H., August 25, 1876; Elijah C., January 11, 1878; Walter E., October 11, 1879 Charles U., August 26, 1881; they all reside at home. Mr. Johnson is a farmer, residing in the township of Guyan. His address is Crown City, Gallia county, Ohio. [SOURCE: History of Gallia County: Containing A Condensed History of the County; Biographical Sketches; General Statistics, Miscellaneous Matters, &c; James P. Averill; Hardesty & CO., Publishers, Chicago and Toledo. 1882.]
King, Archer Emmett
KING, ARCHER EMMETT, lawyer and former county judge, was born in Fluvanna county, Virginia, October 22, 1858. His father was Joab King, a saddler and farmer of Fluvanna, and his mother was Sarah Elizabeth King. Judge King's youth was spent in the country, where the farm work imposed upon him as a duty fostered in him habits of industry and self-control, and awakened in him a love of nature and country life which he has always retained. He attended in boyhood the Mountain View school at Palmyra, Fluvanna county, and then taught for some years in the public schools of Fluvanna. Later he entered the University of Virginia, where he studied law under Professors John B. Minor and Stephen O. Southall, during the session of 1881-1882. Upon leaving the University of Virginia in 1882, he settled in Fluvanna county, and began the practice of law, in which he met with immediate success. On January 1, 1886, he took his seat on the bench, having been elected by the general assembly of Virginia judge of the county court of Fluvanna county. He served in this position until 1890, when he resigned his position of judge and moved to Roanoke city, Virginia, where he opened a law office. Soon after locating in Roanoke, he formed a partnership with Mr. Roy B. Smith, a prominent attorney of that city, under the firm name of Smith and King, which firm still (1906) continues in active practice. In addition to following his profession, Judge King is interested in the financial life of Roanoke, and since May 1, 1904, has held the position of president of the Peoples National bank of Roanoke. Judge King is a Democrat in his political belief and practice, and has never wavered in his allegiance to his party. In religious preference he is a Methodist. On December 9,1890, Judge King married Laura Goodman; and of their marriage have been born three children, all of whom are now (1906) living. Judge King's address is 1300 Roanoke Street, Roanoke, Virginia. [Source: "Men of Mark in Virginia: ideals of American life..." Volume 3 edited by Lyon Gardiner Tyler. Submitted by K.T.]
Thomas Napier, Gentleman, and colonel in the Revolution, born 1740, son of Patrick Napier, early officer of Albemarle, married Martha Claiborn, great-granddaughter of William, for many years Secretary of Virginia Colony. He married (2) his cousin, Chloe Napier,daughter of Rene Napier of Goochland, and his wife Champion. They moved to Georgia and left prominent descendants. (From the Records of Dr. Ancell, which may be found in the archives of Virginia. "The Omohundro Genealogical Record" by Malvern Hill Omohundro; McClure Print. Co., 1951. Submitted by K.T.)
PETTIT, PEMBROKE, attorney-at-law and legislator, was born at Harmony Castle, Cumberland county, Virginia, June 13, 1852, the son of William Beverley and Arabella Emeline Pettit. His father, who was a lawyer of prominence, held for many years the office of commonwealth's attorney of Fluvanna county, and was also president of the Virginia State Bar association, and a member of the last Constitutional convention. The marked characteristics of the elder Pettit were candor, earnestness, and a severe and unremitting application to duty. He was descended from William Pettit, who is believed to have emigrated from Ireland about 1750, settling in Louisa county, Virginia. In childhood, Pembroke Pettit was of delicate constitution, yet he possessed the usual boyish fondness for hunting, fishing' and other sports, united to a strong love of nature and an appreciation of the beautiful. His boyhood was passed, partly in the village of Columbia, Fluvanna county, and partly on the farm of his grandfather, known as Harmony Castle, situated in Cumberland county. There, as his grandfather owned a large number of slaves, he had no manual tasks to perform; but later, after the war, when his father removed to Fluvanna court-house, the son, from time to time, assisted in the farm work. The influence of his mother was particularly strong on his moral and intellectual life. "To her influence," says he, "I believe I owe all my aspirations." He had every opportunity given him for acquiring an education, and he remarks "I could generally learn whatever I chose, but I did not always choose." Mr. Pettit lays great stress upon the help derived by him in his life-work from early reading. He primed himself with knowledge gained from histories, biographies and the standard poets. "Upon leaving Randolph-Macon college," he writes, "I requested and secured from Professor T. R. Price a course of reading recommended by him. I believe that whatever of facility and expression I may have is due largely to that course of reading." His preliminary education was derived from the ordinary country schools, which he rapidly outgrew, to enter Randolph Macon college. He remained for two years at that institution, and then spent a third year at the University of Virginia, engaged in the study of the law. In the fall of 1876, at the age of twenty-four years, he began the practice of his profession at Palmyra, Virginia, This career was not forced upon him by the wishes of his parents, but was his own personal choice. Asked as to the source of his first strong impulse to strive for such prizes as have been bestowed upon him in the race of life, Senator Pettit replied: "I owe to the influence of my mother, father and grandfather, all of whom were ardent believers in the theory of our government—that of the greatest good to the greatest number—my first strong impulse to be something in the world. I was taught that to be a statesman who ably and eloquently lived up to this standard was to be the greatest specimen of his kind." Mr. Pettit was elected to the state senate of Virginia in the fall of 1883, at the early age of thirty-one years; there he served with conspicuous ability. In the spring of 1887 he was elected commonwealth's attorney of Fluvanna county, a position once held by his father; but he resigned the office in 1892 to accept that of reading clerk of the house of representatives in the national congress. This latter position he held throughout two sessions, and, upon returning from Washington, was reelected to his former office of commonwealth's attorney, which he has since held. He was also a member of the house of delegates during the sessions of 1899-1900, and 1905-1906, and in January of the former year was made elector for his congressional district, the tenth Virginia, known as the "Fighting Tenth." Mr. Pettit was affectionately hailed as "The Democratic idol of his county," and "the tall sycamore of old Fluvanna," and the nomination for elector was given him by acclamation at the Norfolk convention. Still another office filled by him was that of member of the state board of fisheries. Mr. Pettit bears a justly deserved reputation as an orator of uncommon ability, and is recognized as a dangerous opponent on the political platform and in courts of law. Senator Pettit was married March 1, 1877, to Virginia Bernard Wills. Of their six children all are living in 1906. His address is Palmyra, Fluvanna County, Virginia. [Source: "Men of Mark in Virginia: ideals of American life..." Volume 3 edited by Lyon Gardiner Tyler. Submitted by K.T.]
Is a native of Fluvanna county, Virginia, where he was born July 3, 1823. His father, William Sanders, was born September 26, 1786, and died May 8, 1861. He served through the war of 1812. Sarah (Strong) Sanders, mother of Joseph, was born February 4, 1798, and died September 2, 1863. They settled in this county in 1835. The paternal grandparents of Mr. Sanders are John and Ann (Cothen) Sanders. Both his paternal and maternal grandfathers were in the war of the revolution, and were both at the surrender of Lord Cornwallis. His maternal grandfather, John Strong, was taken prisoner by the British. The brothers and sisters of Joseph Sanders are: Samuel II., born June 27, 1816; Elizabeth C., May 22, 1818; John M., April 18, 1820; William J, February 7, 1821; Sarah A., June 6, 1825; Thomas B., April 23, 1827; Susan M., November 14, 1829; July M., June 24, 1831; Lucy J., August 14, 1834; Stephen E. and Jacob J., December 23, 1835; Eliza F., February 4, 1838; Hezekiah H., July 6, 1840; Zachariah P., June 26, 1842. Joseph Sanders was married in Gallia county, January 7, 1846, to Sarah Sheets, who is a native of this county, born February 9, 1828. She is mother of the following children: Manerva M. (Whitrock), born December , 1846, died November 23, 1878; Bettie Jane (Barlow), September 2, 1849, resides in Guyan township; Mildred A. (Sanders), September 20, 1851, died in 1852; Sarah A. (Barlow), February 14, 1854, resides in Guyan township; Ida A., January 9, 1856, resides in Mason township, Lawrence county; Juda, December 20, 1857, died May 1, 1859; Alfred W., January 11, 1860, resides in Guyan township; Charlotte L., December 14, 1861, resides in Mason township, Lawrence county, Ohio; Emily S., October 14, 1863; Joseph W., January 10, 1866; Clarence U. G., December 16, 1867; Gideon E., November 4, 1871; infant son, born and died August 28, 1848. The grandchildren of Mr. Sanders are: Noah E. Whitrock, born May 8, 1869; Sarah J., December 18, 1870; Joseph C., May 10, 1875, died January 3, 1881. Mr. Sanders had five brothers in the late war on the Union side. Two of them died in the service. Stephen E. at Memphis, Tennessee, and William J. at Covington, Kentucky. Mr. Sanders is engaged in farming in Mason township, Lawrence county, Ohio. His postoffice address is Saundersville, Gallia county, Ohio. [SOURCE: History of Gallia County: Containing A Condensed History of the County; Biographical Sketches; General Statistics, Miscellaneous Matters, &c; James P. Averill; Hardesty & Co., Publishers, Chicago and Toledo. 1882.]
Born in County Monahan, Ireland, on September 30, 1815, is a son of Andrew Smith, who came from Ireland to Virginia about 1816, settled in Fluvanna County, removed in 1832 to Botetourt County, and died there aged sixty-nine vears. His mother was Phebe, daughter of John McEntire, Esq., of County Monahan, born in Ireland, came to Virginia with her husband. Francis Smith married at Holston Springs, Scott County, Virginia, September 20, 1842, Eliza B. Grim, who was born at Abingdon, September 9, 1824. Ten children were born to them: Susan, Wm. Andrew, Charles H., David, D. F., Emma, Milton H., Mary C., Robt. E. Lee, Paul N. Wm. Andrew was killed by accident while at home during the late war. David, Emma and Milton are now deceased. The wife of Mr. Smith is of the Grim and Nulton families, both of German extraction, and long settled in Virginia. Her father was William Grim, of Abingdon, formerly of Winchester, where most of the Grim family reside, and who served under Gen. Harrison in the war of 1812, and was present at Detroit at Hull's surrender. Her mother was Susan Nulton of Winchester. Mr. Smith is a farmer, contractor and builder of Abingdon. He was assistant commissary of subsistance with Captain Alderson at Abingdon during the war, and the last two years of the war was a member of the advisory board. [History of Virginia From Settlement of Jamestown to Close of The Civil War by Robert Alonzo Brock and Virgil Anson Lewis, 1888 - Transcribed by FOFG]
Strange, John B.
COLONEL, 19TH VIRGINIA INFANTRY.
John Bowie Strange, son of Colonel Gideon A. and Harriet J. Strange, was born in Fluvanna County, Virginia, in 1823. His father served as captain in the war of 1812, and afterwards was an active justice of the peace in Fluvanna County, which county he also represented for a number of years in the Virginia Legislature. On the 11 of November, 1839, young Strange was sent to the Virginia Military Institute. In the first graduating class of that school, 1842, he received his diploma as third distinguished graduate. In addition to this high standing in his studies, he had attained distinction in the military department, being the first adjutant of the corps of cadets. After graduation Mr. Strange was for some years a professor of mathematics in the Norfolk Academy. Becoming eventually principal of that school, he gained for it great reputation, placing it at the head of the academies and high schools in the State. Between 1854 and 1856, Professor Strange founded the Albemarle Military Institute, which he conducted with great success until the inception of hostilities in 1861. Having been, in 1859, appointed brigade-inspector of the 3d Brigade, 2d Division, Virginia militia, composed of the regiments in the counties of Amherst, Nelson, Albemarle, Fluvanna, Louisa, and Goochland, he was prepared at the moment Virginia assumed a hostile attitude to take up arms. Appointed lieutenant-colonel of the 19th Virginia Infantry in April, 1861, immediately after the ordinance of secession, and soon afterwards promoted colonel, he was stationed with it at Culpeper Court-House, and was occupied in drilling and preparing this regiment for service until ordered on to Manassas, just before the memorable battle of July 21, 1861. In this battle Colonel Strange fought gallantly, having already, in the words of the commanding general, Beauregard, "gained the reputation of being brave, intelligent, and faithful in the discharge of his duties." Stationed at Centreville, Fairfax Court-House, and Munson's Hill, until the army fell back to the Peninsula, Colonel Strange was engaged in many skirmishes, but received no hurt. At Williamsburg his regiment captured the Excelsior Battery, belonging to Sickles's Brigade. In all the battles around Richmond, extending from Seven Pines to Malvern Hill, Colonel Strange fought with distinguished gallantry. At second Manassas he commanded his brigade; passing over into Maryland then, he was for some time at Frederick City, Maryland, thence on with the army to Hagerstown; and at South Mountain, September 14, 1862, he fell mortally wounded, having previously in the same battle received wounds in his right foot and side, which had disabled him from keeping-his feet, but which did not prevent his cheering on the noble men of his command. Calling to them to advance, the fatal ball passed through his heart, closing instantly his career of usefulness and dauntless bravery, in the thirty-fourth year of his age, after having passed unhurt through thirty-two pitched battles, besides numerous skirmishes. His body fell into the hands of the enemy, and its resting-place was unknown to any of the family until several years after, when, through a lady who had cared for the grave, its locality was made known, and the body was moved by the Masons of Norfolk, Colonel Strange having been one of that order, to the cemetery at Charlottesville, Virginia. This very brief and imperfect outline of Colonel Strange's life cannot be better supplemented than by the following estimate of his character from the pen of his friend Colonel Edmund Pendleton, of Botetourt County, Virginia:
"My acquaintance with Colonel John Bowie Strange commenced on the 11th of November, 1839, when we reported for duty as cadets of the Virginia Military Institute, then about to commence its career as a State military school, under the control of its able young superintendent, Colonel (now General) Francis H. Smith, assisted by his devoted and distinguished coadjutor, Major (now Colonel) John T. L. Preston, as professor of modern languages. We were then boys of sixteen, of nearly the same age, of like temperaments and tastes, and were, therefore, naturally and mutually drawn towards each other. We were from the beginning to the end of our cadet-life occupants of the same room, members of the same section, and in daily and intimate association. My opportunities for forming a correct estimate of his character, moral as well as mental, during this period of his life, were therefore unusually good; and it is a pleasant duty to me to record what I learned of him during the three years of our intimate association, ending on the fourth day of July, 1842, when we received our diplomas as graduates of the school. After that date our paths of life diverged, and I do not remember to have seen him but twice: once amid the storm of battle beneath the sulphurous canopy of Gaines's Mill, on the afternoon of June 27, 1862, as with flashing eye and gallant mien he led his noble regiment into the thickest of the fight, and once again, about ten days before his death, in the early days of September, 1862, when chance threw us together for a half-hour during one of the brief intervals between the glorious victories of that memorable campaign, and when we were permitted, in a few burning words, to recall the pleasing associations of our youthful days, and mingle our hopes and fears for our beloved South. We then parted, with mutual embraces, to address ourselves to the stern duty of the hour, not without the presentiment that this might be, as indeed it was, our last meeting on earth.
"If Thomas Carlyle's definition of a man of genius (namely, a man capable of taking infinite pains) be correct, then Colonel Strange might not inaptly be accounted a man of genius. Without being endowed with a poetic temperament or an affluent imagination, he possessed a vigorous understanding, clear faculties of perception and discrimination, strong logical power, and an unwavering love for the acquisition of knowledge. In moral qualities he stood pre-eminent In that ' chastity of honor which feels a stain as a wound in cool, dauntless courage amid dangers, in transparent truthfulness of soul unclouded by falsehood or deception, he was a very Bayard. Even in his youth he exhibited, in a marked degree, a supreme and inflexible devotion to duty; a moral attribute of the highest quality, rarely found in men even of mature character. In his tender infancy he had been deprived by death of the fostering care and watchful control of an affectionate father, and left to wander, without paternal guardian, among the pitfalls and snares which ever beset the path of youth. But, as when a tender vine is deprived of the support to which it has clung it sometimes is seen to develop a latent power of self-support, so the deprivation in his case seemed to strengthen and stiffen the tender elements of his moral character, and made him brave, self-reliant, and independent. His first official act as a cadet was illustrative of these qualities. When, on the 11 of November, 1839,the youthful band of raw and undisciplined cadets marched to the Institute hill to relieve the squad of soldiers under Captain David E. Moore, who had up to that time guarded the arsenal and other public property there, it fell to the lot of young Strange to be the first to go on post as a sentinel. I doubt if he had ever seen a soldier or held a musket in his callow hands before. The business was as new to his comrades as to himself, and of course he was the object of the careful observation of all. I well remember, as if it were an event of yesterday, how promptly and resolutely he obeyed the first order to duty, how impressed he seemed to be with the dignity of his new position, how erectly he held his musket with bayonet fixed, and how soldier-like was his posture. These things seem small in themselves, and yet they were the straws which indicated the course of the current; the genuine symbols of his moral character. From the solid merits which he exhibited whilst I knew him so intimately I formed high expectations of his achievements in later life when his powers should be matured. What they actually were must be told by those who knew of them. It is gratifying to me to know of this friend and companion of my youth, that when our native State called for her defenders, he was among the first to obey the summons, and that though he fell, he fell at the post of duty, and sleeps in the honored grave of a soldier who died in defending the liberties of his country." (Source: Biographical sketches of the Graduates and Eleves of the Virginia Military Institute who fell during the war between the States, by Chas. D. Walker. Published 1875. Transcribed and submitted to Genealogy Trails by Linda Rodriguez)
The Sutherland Family in America
The name Southerland, or Sutherland, with the two ways of spelling appears among the early families in both the New England, and the southern states. No doubt they were related, but have since grown widely apart.
Among the settlers coming over before the Revolution was a family of Sutherlands, whose members settled in Virginia. One of that family was George Sutherland (1), born in Scotland in 1761. From old deeds, and gifts of land it seems that he had a brother Samuel (1), and their father was Saunders [Sanders, Sandy], Sutherland. George Sutherland died in 1847. By deed, dated January 2, 1783, Saunders Sutherland and Martha, his wife, Samuel, and George Sutherland's consent given, all of Fluvanna county, Virginia, convey land to James Crudsan. See deed book No. 1, p. 434, Fluvanna county, Va. The Martha mentioned would be the second wife of Saunders, and stepmother to George, and Samuel. She was the daughter of Samuel Davis of Fluvanna county, Va.
George Sutherland (1) settled first in Virginia. Shortly before the Revolution he moved to Carolina, enlisting from Caswell county, N. C., in the fall of 1775, serving as drummer boy for two years
under Captain Henry Dixon, Captain Tilman Dixon, and Colonel Clarke, in the First North Carolina Regiment. On October 5, 1780, he enlisted again, giving Albermarle county, Va., as his residence, under Samuel Eddins in the artillery and served until a short time before the battle of York, when he was furloughed on account of disability. George Sutherland (1) married, first, a widow named Jane Johnson Shores, September 15, 1791, in Fluvanna county, the Reverend William Baskett officiating; he married, second, Mary Hemdon, October 18, 1822, the Reverend Isaac Tuckadoo officiating. There were no children by the second marriage. The children of the first marriage were: 1. George F., 2. Elizabeth L. (Betsy), 3. Richard Lee, 4. Thomas.
Samuel Sutherland (1), brother of George Sutherland (1) married Judith Foster of Louisa county, Va., on April 3, 1783, in Fluvanna county. They lived in Louisa county and in Fluvanna.
George F. Sutherland (2) died young and probably unmarried. He was constable in Fluvanna county in 1814.
Elizabeth L. Sutherland, sometimes mentioned as Betsy Sutherland, married Madison Bibb, before 1835.
Richard Lee Sutherland (2) was born August 8, 1798, in Fluvanna county. He married, first, Sarah Ann , some time before 1821. I believe there were no children by this marriage. In 1826 he married Mary Jane Dickinson of Nelson county, Va. She was the daughter of Thurston James Dickinson and Mary Martin. After the birth of their oldest child they moved to Missouri, settling on a farm seven miles north of Farmington, in St. Francois county. Here they lived, raising a large family, owning slaves and prospering. Richard Lee Sutherland died in 1846, and his widow died in 1870 at the age of 70 years. They had the following children: 1. Frances Ann, married George Evans, and moved to Crawford county, Mo.; she was born in 1833, died in 1867 leaving children, Richard, William, Laura, and Lizzie.
2. Martha Adeline, born in 1842, married Mr. Clay; she is living and has children.
3. Mary M., married Clay, was born January 9, 1830, died December 6, 1899; a son, Judge J. E. Clay, lives in Farmington.
4. Thurston James, died young.
5. Eliza Lewis, married Revilo Nichols, and lived in St. Louis, having one daughter, Martha, who married Mr. Hall.
6. Richard Lee, Jr., married Cordelia , and left a daughter Ida, who married a Mr. Foster, and has two sons in St. Louis. 7. Maria Victoria, married Dr. H. D. Dickinson, a relative, and lived in West Virginia. 8. Mildred Dickinson Sutherland, born May 1, 1831, in St. Francois county, Mo., died in Rolla, Mo., May 7, 1864; she was the second wife of Judge A. Van Warmer, and left four children as follows: 1. Emma Jane, born in 1853, died in 1898, married H. W. Cox, and had two daughters, Katherine, and Lois; 2. Andrew, married Nancy Dixon of West Plains, Mo., daughter of Dr. J. C. B. Dixon and Katherine Welsh of Kentucky; and have three children. Mrs. Fred. C. Lauwin of New York city. Dixon Van Warmer of West Plains, and Mrs. Russell Cochrane .of Springfield, Mo.: 3. Joseph Lawrence, married Allie Paydon of West Plains, Mo., and has five children, Victor, Paydon, Allen, Louise and David;
4. Mary M., married Carmical and has one son, Andrew Lawrence.
Thomas Sutherland (2), son of George Sutherland (1), was born in 1804 in Virginia and died in 1846 in Chillicothe, Ohio. He married Sarah Jones, who was of Scotch-Welsh descent, her father a Jones, her mother a Miss North. They lived in Bedford county, Va. Thomas Sutherland and his wife did not believe in slavery, and this fact caused him to remove with his family to Ohio. His children were: 1. George, 2. Martha Jane, who is Mrs. Parks of South Charleston, Ohio; 3. Thomas, 4. Elizabeth, 5. William, 6. Martin, 7. Ripley, and 8. Abraham.
Thomas Sutherland (3), the third child of Thomas and Sarah (Jones) Sutherland, was born February 28, 1835, in Jackson, Ohio. With his father's family he removed to Chillicothe, Ohio, but on April 7, 1854, returned to Jackson and remained there until his death, March 16, 18%. He married N. Maria Pickerel, February 24, 1857, in Jackson, and the following children were born of this union: 1. Alice S., wife of the Honorable David Davis of Cincinnati, Ohio; 2. Gertrude, wife of Dr. John F. Morgan of Ft. Collins, Colo.; 3. Mame E., wife of A. L. Erwin of Jackson, Ohio: 4. Stella, wife of Prof. Frank N. Tuillan of Ypsilanti, Mich.
Thomas Sutherland (3) was a successful business man and banker in Jackson, Ohio, being one of the founders of the Iron Bank in 1873 and its president at the date of his death. There are no sons surviving; the name Sutherland for this branch of that family has died out.
The records of Fluvanna and Albermarle counties show other Sutherlands, possibly relatives of Saunders, George, and Thomas, but not sufficient data to trace the kinship accurately has been found. Of these, there appear, among others, the following:
Mr. Feudal L. Sutherland and Miss Mathilda Thomas, married December 29, 1827 in Fluvanna
[Source: By Katherine Scott Gottschalk ; A JOURNAL OF AMERICAN ANCESTRY, Vol. 3, No. 2 New York, February, 1913 Whole No. 47]
Towles, Dr. W. B.
Dr. W. B. Towles was born March 7, 1847, at Columbia, Fluvanna County, Va., and was the son of a well-known physician. His ancestry is traced back through his grandfather, Major Oliver Towles, of the war of 1812, to his great-grandfather, Colonel Oliver Towles of the Sixth regiment of the Line in the Revolutionary war, who was also among the founders of the Society of the Cincinnati. In 1863, when barely 16 years old, he left his home to enter the reserve corps of the Confederate States army. A few months later he was put upon active duty, and continued in the military service until the close of the civil war. The two succeeding years were spent upon the farm of his father who had moved to Cumberland county, in 1854, in the management of the farm and in private study In 1867, he entered the University of Virginia, and, in a single session, completed the medical course and attained the degree of M. D., in spite of an illness of more than six weeks. From 1868, to 1872 he was engaged in the practice of medicine in Missouri, and in 1872 he returned to the University of Virginia as demonstrator for the accomplished anatomist, Dr. John Staige Davis. In 1885, upon the death of Dr. Davis, he was promoted to the full chair, which he filled with the highest degree of efficiency up to the day of his death, which occurred September 15, 1893. [Source: The Virginia Magazine of History and Biography, Volume 1- No3 By Virginia Historical Society; page 336 Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack]
Tutwiler, Edward Magruder
TUTWILER, EDWARD MAGRUDER, engineer, manufacturer and promoter, was born October 13, 1846, at Palmyra, Fluvanna County, Va.; son of Thomas Harrison and Harriet Magruder (Strange) Tutwiler, who lived at Palmyra, Va., the former a native of Seven Islands, Fluvanna County, Va.. a graduate of the law school of the University of Virginia, a representative in the legislature of Virginia, 18581860, a captain in the quartermaster department of the C. S. Army, and commonwealth attorney for Fluvanna County for twenty years; grandson of Martin and Maria (Shores) Tutwiler, who lived at Seven Islands, Fluvanna County. Va., the former who was a sergeant in the War of 1812. and was brother of Dr. Henry Tutwiler (q. v.), and of Col. Gideon A. and Harriet (Magruder) Strange, who lived at Oak Hill, Fluvanna County. Va.; great-grandson of Henry Tutwiler, who was postmaster of Harrisonburg, Va., 1809-1841, of John Bowie Magruder, who sold his property in Maryland about the beginning of the nineteenth century, and went to live on a large estate in Fluvanna County, and of Mr. Shore, a soldier in the Revolutionary Army. The Tutwiler ancestors came to Pennsylvania from Switzerland after the Thirty Years War, and emigrated from Pennsylvania to Harrisonburg, Va. The Magruders or McGregors came from Scotland to Maryland about 1651, and the Stranges came from Scotland to Virginia about 1635. Mr. Tutwiler was educated in private schools at Palmyra, Va., and at the Virginia military institute, at Lexington, Va., graduating, C. E., 1867. During his attendance at the institute, he was with the cadets under Breckinridge at the battle of Newmarket, May 15, 1864, and was also in the engagement at Lynchburg, where he served in the field with the corps until the end of the War of Secession. After his graduation, he taught school in Cecil County, Md., 1867-1869, and became assistant engineer with the Lehigh & Susquehanna Railroad Company, at Mauch Chunk, Pa., in 1870. He was resident engineer on the Chesapeake & Ohio Railroad, in Virginia and West Virginia, 1871-1874; assistant engineer on the Southern Railway in Kentucky, 1875-1877; chief engineer on the Miami Valley Railroad in Ohio, 1878-1879; assistant city engineer, Cincinnati, O., 1880; division engineer on the Richmond & Allegheny Railroad, Virginia, 1881; assistant chief engineer, Georgia Pacific Railway, Georgia, Alabama and Mississippi, 1882-1883: superintendent of mines. Coalburg Coal & Coke Company, 1883-1884; general superintendent of mines, Sloss Steel & Iron Company. 1885-1889; president, Tutwiler Coal, Coke & Iron Company, 1892-1906; director in First National Bank of Birmingham since 1894; director in Alabama Grocery Company, and Tutwiler Hotel Company, Birmingham. He is a Democrat; a junior warden in the Episcopal Church of Advent, Birmingham; and is president of the Country Club, Birmingham.
Married: (1) April 11, 1876, at Crittenden. Ky., to Mary Jeffray, who died 1885, daughter of Dr. Thomas R. W. and Mary E. Jeffray, who lived at that place; (2) July 11, 1887, at "The Island," Albemarle County, Va., to Margaret Chewning, daughter of John W. and Mary E. Chewning, who lived at that place. Children, by first marriage: 1. Temple Wilson, served as private in Co. G, First Alabama infantry, U. S. Army, Spanish-American War, superintendent of the furnaces of an iron and steel company in Sakchi, India, m. Florence Wilhoite; 2. Edward Magruder, jr., served as private in Co. G, First Alabama volunteer infantry, U. S. Army, Spanish-American War, general manager of Alabama State Land Company, Birmingham, m. Mary Anderson; 3. Herbert, coal, coke and iron broker, Birmingham, m. Mary Addison. Residence: Birmingham. (Source: "History of Alabama and dictionary of Alabama biography", Volume 4, 1921 -- By Thomas McAdory Owen, Mrs. Marie Bankhead Owen. Submitted by K. T.)
Educator, was born November 16, 1807, at Harrisburg, Rockingham County, Va., and died September 21, 1884, at Green Springs, Hale County; son of Henry and Margaret (Lorchbaugh) Tutwiler. His ancestors are supposed to have come from the German sector of Switzerland and located in Pennsylvania, in the latter part of the 18th century, later removing to the valley of Virginia where they homesteaded land. Dr. Tutwiler was in part self taught in early youth and was prepared for college by Dr. Daniel Baker of Virginia, a famous Presbyterian minister and teacher. In 1825 he entered the University of Virginia, being one of the first enrolled students, graduating in 1829, the first student of that institution to receive the A. M. degree. He entered the law school and taught at Charlottesville for two years. Upon the establishment of the University of Alabama in 1831, he was chosen professor of ancient languages and served in that position until 1837. He filled the chair of mathematics in Marion college from the latter date until 1839 at which time he went to LaGrange college, in North Alabama, as professor of mathematics and chemistry. It was in 1847 that he established his celebrated private school for young men at Green Springs, now Hale County, remaining there until the close of the school, two years before his death. Dr. Tutwiler was far in advance of his generation in educational reform. When corporal punishment, often brutal in its character, was the rule everywhere, he forbade it in the famous school which he founded. When languages were taught by the most formal and antiquated methods, he used natural and living methods. He taught science by experiment when textbook teaching was the rule. He made the foundation of character the chief end of education, each pupil being treated as an individual, protesting against the Procrustean bed to which each student must be fitted whatever his natural endowments. His influence on general education was as great as his influence on his particular pupils, and the men trained by him showed the impress of his strong, earnest, sincere nature. Their love and reverence for him were boundless. The degree of LL. D. was conferred upon him by the Centenary college, La., and by the University of Mississippi in 1868. Rev. R. H. Rivers, in his life of Bishop Paine, says of Dr. Tutwiler: "He was a profound and rich linguist, a thorough mathematician, and a superior chemist. He was learned without pedantry, pious without bigotry, a gentleman without a blemish, a character without a flaw." He was appointed by President Pierce in 1853 in the board of examiners for West Point. In 1882, fifty-three years after his graduation, he delivered the alumni address at the University of Virginia. On the evening of May 12, 1866, he discovered the "New Star," which discovery he at once communicated to Prof. Joseph Henry of the Smithsonian institution, Prof. Stephen Alexander of Princeton, and other northern astronomers. He wrote short articles on current political matters for leading papers, which were either unsigned or published as editorials, thus influencing public opinion, but remaining with characteristic modesty in the background. Married: December 24, 1835, in Tuscaloosa, to Julia, daughter of Paoli Pascal and Elizabeth (Strudwick) Ashe, members of the well known Shepperd, Strudwick and Ashe families of North Carolina. Children: 1. Margaret, m. Maj. J. W. T. Wright, both deceased; 2. Anne Eliza, m. Dr. Elisha Young, both deceased; 3. Julia Strudwick (q. v.); 4. Catherine, m. Charles Nicholas Meriwether, Trenton, Ky.: 5. Henry, jr., m. Mrs. Mattie Cox, Texas; 6. Pascal Ashe, m. Rosalie Young, Greensboro; 7. Nettie, m. Col. T. C. McCorvey (q. v.); 8. Peyton, m. Leonard Pitts, Las Cruces, New Mexico; 9. Ida, m. Joseph Hill Hall, Macon, Ga.; 10. Carlos Smith, m. Janie Brewer, Dothan; 11. Gesner Harrison, m. Paoli Ashe Smith, Columbus, Miss. Last residence: Green Springs. [Source: "History of Alabama and dictionary of Alabama biography", Volume 4, 1921 -- By Thomas McAdory Owen, Mrs. Marie Bankhead Owen. Submitted by K. T.]
Soldier of the American revolution, was born November 15, 1750, and died in 1828; son of Anthony and Alice (Taylor) Winston; grandson of Isaac and Mary (Dabney) Winston, the former an immigrant, who died in Hanover County, Va., in 1760, leaving six children, and of James and Alice (Thornton) Taylor, of Carolina. "Slaughter's St. Marks Parish," states that "Isaac Winston, the most remote ancestor was born in Yorkshire, England in 1620, a grandson of his pursued his fortunes in Wales, where he had a large family. Three of his sons emigrated to America and settled near Richmond, Va., in 1704. Their names were William, Isaac and James." Anthony Winston was descended from Isaac. He was a member of the Virginia convention of 1775; afterwards served in the militia and rose to the rank of captain. Brewer says, "He was a colonial officer of 1776 and the owner of the celebrated Portuguese giant, Peter Francisco. Capt. Winston removed first to Tennessee and subsequently settled in Madison County, about the year 1810. He was a man of marked and elevated character." For some time he was sheriff of Buckingham County, Va. In 1801 he removed to Tennessee. Married: in 1776 to Keziah, daughter of John and Elizabeth (Walker) Jones, from Wales. The death of Captain Winston occurred in 1828, that of his wife in October 1826. They were buried at the family burying ground on the plantation of their son, Anthony Winston, about one mile from Tuscumbia, in Colbert County, in the direction of Sheffield. Children: 1. Anthony; 2. John Jones; 3. Edmund, died young; 4. William, died young; 5. Alice Taylor, m. John, son of John Pettus, Fluvanna County, Va.; 6. Joel Walker; 7. Isaac; 8. Mary Walker, m. Jesse Jones; 9. Betsey, died young; 10. Edmund (second of the name), b. June 15th, 1801, d. after the War of Secession; 11. Thomas. Last residence: Tuscumbia. [Source: "History of Alabama and dictionary of Alabama biography", Volume 4, 1921 -- By Thomas McAdory Owen, Mrs. Marie Bankhead Owen. Submitted by K. T.]
© Genealogy Trails