BANDY, Samuel Reeves
Samuel Reeves Bandy, manager of the sales department of the real estate and brokerage firm of John T. Trout, with offices in the First National Bank Building, Roanoke, Virginia, was born in Franklin County, Virginia, February 17th, 1879, and was one of seven children, there being four sons and three daughters. His parents were Stephen Polk and Martha N. (Hazlewood) Bandy.
His father was a Confederate soldier and served through the Civil War in the 28th Virginia Regiment, and was slightly wounded in the battle of Gettysburg. Mr. Bandy, when a boy, attended the county schools of his native county, and won the Scholarship Medal, afterwards attended Roanoke College. He located in Roanoke at the age of eighteen years and began life as clerk at the Stratford Hotel: after nearly two years he accepted a position as assistant postmaster and general manager of a merchandise store at Lithia, Virginia, belonging to J. M. Thrasher & Company, after which time he accepted a position as cashier with the Pocahontas Coal & Coke Company, and was with this concern for three years and for several years he was a traveling salesman, his territory covering eight of the Southern states. He came back to Roanoke in 1909 and engaged in the real estate business, in which line of trade he has been very successful. He is also a member of the Chamber of Commerce and is regarded as one of the city's most progressive young business men, his friends being numbered by the hundreds. [History of Roanoke County by George S. Jack, Edward Boyle Jacobs; published 1915; Submitted to Genealogy Trails by Andrea Stawski Pack]
BROWN, John Robert
A Representative from Virginia; born near Snow Creek, Franklin County, Va., January 14, 1842; attended private schools in Franklin and Henry Counties; entered the Confederate Army in 1861 as a private in Company D, Twenty-fourth Regiment, Virginia Volunteers; formed a partnership with his father in the tobacco business at Shady Grove in 1870; moved to Martinsville, Henry County, in 1882 and continued in the tobacco business; also engaged in banking; mayor of Martinsville 1884-1888; elected as a Republican to the Fiftieth Congress (March 4, 1887-March 3, 1889); unsuccessfully contested the election of Claude A. Swanson to the Fifty-fifth Congress; reengaged in the tobacco business; retired from active business pursuits; died in Martinsville August 4, 1927; interment in Oakwood Cemetery. (Source: Biographical Directory of the US Congress 1774-Present)
BURWELL, William A.
A Representative from Virginia; born in Mecklenburg county, Va., about 1780; was graduated from William and Mary college; moved to Franklin county in 1802; elected a member of the state house of delegates; private secretary to President Jefferson; elected as a Democrat to the Ninth Congress, to fill vacancy caused by the resignation of Christopher Clark; reelected to the Tenth, Eleventh, Twelfth, Thirteenth, Fourteenth, Fifteenth, and Sixteenth Congresses, and served from December 1, 1806, until his death in Washington, D. C, February 16, 1821. [A Biographical Congressional Directory of the 1st 1774 to the 62nd 1911 Congress; By United States Congress; Publ. 1918; Tr. by Andrea Stawski Pack.]
CLAIBORNE, Nathaniel Herbert
(brother of William Charles Cole Claiborne, nephew of Thomas Claiborne [1749-1812], uncle of John Francis Hamtramck Claiborne, grandfather of James Robert Claiborne, and great-great-great granduncle of Corinne Claiborne Boggs) A Representative from Virginia; born in Chesterfield, Sussex County, Va., November 14, 1777; attended a local academy; engaged in agricultural pursuits; member of the State house of delegates 1810-1812; served in the State senate 1821-1825; an executive councilor; elected as a Jacksonian to the Nineteenth through the Twenty-third Congresses, and elected as an Anti-Jacksonian to the Twenty-fourth Congress (March 4, 1825-March 3, 1837); chairman, Committee on Elections (Twenty-second through Twenty-fourth Congresses); unsuccessful candidate in 1836 for reelection to the Twenty-fifth Congress; resumed agricultural pursuits; died near Rocky Mount, Franklin County, Va., August 15, 1859; interment in the family cemetery of his Claibrook estate near Rocky Mount, Va. (Source: Biographical Directory of the US Congress 1774-Present)
EARLY, Jubal Anderson
Lawyer and soldier: b. Franklin county, Va., Nov. 3, 1816; d. Lynchburg, Va., March 2, 1894. He was graduated from the United States Military Academy in 1837 and served in the Seminole War during that year and 1838, when he was promoted first-lieutenant of artillery. He then resigned from the service and entered legal practice at Rocky Mount, Franklin County, Va. He soon attained prominence and was a member of the Virginia House of Delegates in 1841-42. He was commonwealth attorney 1842-47, but went in the latter year as major of volunteers to the Mexican War. In 1848 he again became commonwealth attorney, holding that office until 1852. He was a member of the Virginia convention in 1861 and earnestly opposed the secession movement, but yielded to the command of his state, among whose defenders he was one of the most ardent, ready to do and suffer all things for his beloved Virginia. He was commissioned colonel of the Twenty-fourth regiment of Virginia infantry, and, while holding this rank commanded a brigade at Blackburn's Ford and first Manassas, in which latter battle the flank attack of his brigade upon the Federal right aided greatly in producing the total rout of the enemy. He was promoted brigadier-general, to date from that battle.
In the spring of 1862, at Williamsburg, he was wounded leading his brigade in a charge upon the Federal position. In the campaign against Pope he commanded a brigade of Ewell’s division of Jackson's corps, participating in the raid around Pope and the decisive retreat of that commander on the field of second Manassas. At Sharpsburg, after the wounding of General Lawton, he took command of Ewell's division and led it successfully to the close of that engagement. He gained additional distinction by the handling of this same division at a critical moment during the battle of Fredericksburg. In January, 1863, he was promoted major-general, and during the Chancellorsville campaign was left with his division, Barksdale's brigade and Pendleton's artillery to hold the heights of Fredericksburg against Sedgwick's corps. At the opening of the Pennsylvania campaign he was entrusted by Ewell with the attack upon Winchester, which resulted in the rout of Milroy, who, by the flank movement of Edward Johnson, lost 4,000 prisoners. Crossing the Potomac, he marched via York toward Harrisburg, Pa., but after reaching the Susquehanna River, was recalled to Gettysburg, where he shared in the first day's brilliant success and on the second day gained vantage ground, which he was unable to hold, for lack of support. At the opening fight in the Wilderness, May 5, 1864, in temporary command of A. P. Hill's corps, he successfully resisted the Federal attempt to flank the army of Lee, and at Spotsylvania Court House with the same command defeated Burnside.
Continuing to do brilliant service at Bethesda Church and Cold Harbor, he was after the latter battle sent in command of the second corps to drive Hunter from before Lynchburg. He had been commissioned lieutenant-general May 31. Moving promptly, he drove Hunter into the mountains and then marched rapidly down the valley, drove Sigel across the Potomac, defeated Wallace at the Monacacy and marched to the suburbs of Washington. Finding that city reinforced by two corps of Federals, he retired into Virginia. Soon after at Kernstown he defeated Crook and drove him across the Potomac, marched again into Maryland and sent McCausland to Chambersburg, Pa.
Sheridan was now sent into the valley with forces vastly outnumbering those of Early, who from August 7 to September 19 engaged Sheridan's forces in various encounters, sometimes with considerable success. On September 19, after a desperate battle against two and a half times his numbers, Early was defeated in the battle of Winchester. On the 21st he was again defeated at Fisher's Hill. On October 19, Early surprised Sheridan's army of more than double his own at Cedar Creek and routed it, but was in the afternoon attacked by the rallied Federals and routed in turn. Retreating to New Market Early went into camp, but, although so tremendously outnumbered by Sheridan, he appeared in front of Sheridan's camp, November 12, then returning to New Market sent out expeditions which captured guns and prisoners. During the winter most of Early's command was sent to Richmond, and on March 2, 1865, Sheridan with 10,000 men dispersed Early's force of 1,800 at Waynesborough. After the surrender Early rode horseback to Texas, thence proceeded to Mexico, and from the latter place went to Canada. Subsequently he returned to Virginia and resumed the practice of law but in later years lived mostly at New Orleans. [Source: THE SOUTH in the Building of the Nation Volume XI; Edited by James Curtis Ballagh, Walter Lynwood Fleming & Southern Historical Publication Society; Publ. 1909; Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack.]
FISHBURNE, Reuben H.
Farmer, merchant, soldier, manufacturer, capitalist, and philanthropist, aptly describes Reuben H. Fishburne, a member of the first Town Council of Big Lick, and at present a wealthy citizen of Roanoke, who has retired from active business life. He was born in Franklin County, Virginia, February 27th, 1835, being a son of Samuel and Frances Fishburne His parentage was of sturdy old Virginia stock, and the son inherited largely the noble qualities of his ancestry.
Mr. Fishburne belongs to a long lived race of people. He enjoys the unique distinction of having eight grandparents and great grandparents living at the time of his birth, seven of whom he grew up to know intimately. The eighth he never knew personally, as she moved away from the neighborhood a short time before he was born.
On April 27th, 1873, he married Emma Virginia Phillips, daughter of Joshua and Sallie Clark (Hughes) Phillips of Campbell County, Virginia. To this union five children, one son and four daughters were born, namely: Blair J., Annie L., Fannie T. (deceased), Sallie C., and S. Ella.
Fraternally Mr. Fishburne is a Pythian. Religiously he is a member of Greene Memorial Methodist Church, and a former member of the Board of Stewards. He placed the city under lasting obligations to him for the town clock, which he installed in the tower of Greene Memorial Church, in connection with his gift of the chimes and pipe organ to the congregation.
As a boy he attended the old field schools of Franklin County, obtaining a fair education. For a number of years he was engaged in farming pursuits, and when the war broke out between the states, he was one of the first to respond to his country's call, joining Company A, Thirty-Seventh Battalion, Virginia Cavalry, and serving under General William E. Jones until the time of his death, June 5th, 1864.
During the first years of the war, the Thirty-Seventh Battalion was engaged in Southwest Virginia and West Virginia, and in the Valley of Virginia, during the last year or more of the bloody conflict. Mr. Fishburne's company was in the Hanging Rock skirmish with Hunter's Army, an account of which is given elsewhere in this volume.
The war over, he returned to his home in Franklin County where he sought to rebuild the losses he sustained during the four years of conflict. For a short time he was engaged in mercantile pursuits at Rocky Mount. In 1873 he removed to Big Lick where he engaged in the manufacture of tobacco, both "plug" and "smoking." For more than fifteen years the firm of Fishburne Brothers, composed of R. H. and T. T. Fishburne, continued the business, after which, and for an additional sixteen years, only high-grade smoking tobacco was manufactured until the year of 1905, when the subject of this sketch retired from active business life. Since then he has traveled extensively, and has been deeply interested in the welfare of his old comrades in gray, who fought with him for the "lost cause."
During the year 1910 he published a history of his old company in a neatly bound volume, a copy of which was presented to each survivor, as well as to the widows of his deceased comrades. It was largely through his beneficence that the handsome monument recently erected in memory of the Confederate dead of his native county, now graces the Courthouse Square at Rocky Mount. In latter years he has extended help whenever needed to his old comrades in arms, it affording him much pleasure to draw on his own resources for their benefit. As a builder of Roanoke, he as a member of the firm of Fishburne Brothers, was among the few who subscribed liberally towards securing the terminus of the Shenandoah Valley Railroad, and he has been interested financially and in an advisory capacity with a number of the city's leading institutions, being a director of the National Exchange Bank, the Virginia Bridge and Iron Company, and the Brand Shoe Company, as well as a stockholder in many others of the leading financial institutions of the city. [History of Roanoke County by George S. Jack, Edward Boyle Jacobs; published 1915; Submitted to Genealogy Trails by Andrea Stawski Pack]
OXLEY, Hon. Benjamin H.
Mr. Oxley, youngest of eight children of Jenkins Madison and Elizabeth Miles Oxley, was born in Franklin County, Virginia, June 19, 1853. He and an only sister survive, two brothers having lost their lives in the cause of the South during the Civil War, the others, except one sister, having died young. His ancestors, on his father's side, came from England to Canada, early in the 17th century, afterwards moving to Virginia; his mother's ancestors were, on her father's side, also English, while on her mother's side they were Scotch-Irish, being among the earliest settlers in the Valley of Virginia.
At the age of six he began attending subscription or private schools in his native county, but when old enough to commence working on the farm went to school in winter only, until, at the age of fifteen, he came with his parents to Lincoln County, West Virginia, settling on a farm near Griffithsville, teaching in the public schools in winter and helping to run the farm the rest of the while.
When twenty-one he commenced attending local normal schools during the summer months continuing teaching in winter, and later on began reading law during his spare time, and in 1879 he was granted a license to practice law by the Supreme Court of Appeals, composed of Judges Greene, Haymond, Moore and Johnson. He then located at Hamlin, Lincoln County, attending regularly, for a number of years, the courts of that county as well as those of Boone and Logan. He was frequently, in the absence of Judges of Circuit Courts, chosen by the Bar, in these respective counties, to hold terms of courts. He has been also admitted to practice in both the Supreme Court of the State and in the United States Courts.
Mr. Oxley is the author of a law book, "Instructions to Juries, by West Virginia Courts," containing both the legal principles laid down by the Supreme Court relating to that subject, as well as numerous forms, having the approval of our Appellate Court. The work is considered, by the legal profession, as authority on Instructions.
In politics he has always been a Democrat, yet stands aloof from machine and ring rule. He is a Mason and a member of the Presbyterian Church.
He represented Lincoln County in the House of Delegates in the session of 1885, and was elected to the State Senate from the old Seventh District, composed of seven counties, in 1886, serving during the regular sessions of 1887 and 1889. During the latter year he made Charleston his home, where he still resides. For five years he was a bookkeeper in the State Auditor's office until in 1890, when he was appointed by Governor Fleming to the position of Adjutant-General and ex officio State Librarian, his term as such ending in March, 1898. Afterwards, for four years, he was Assistant Clerk of the Supreme Court of Appeals of the State. March 26, 1918. He was, by Governor Cornwell, appointed State Librarian.
May 6, 1889, he was united in marriage with Miss Fannie Burton, of Charleston, West Virginia. They have two living children, one a son. Edward, who, while engaged in Agricultural Extension work in Nevada. Enlisted in the United States Navy, and afterwards, having been granted an honorable discharge, has resumed his former duties, being now located in Arizona, and a daughter, Frances, now a student in college. [Bench and bar of West Virginia edited by George Wesley Atkinson, 1919 - Transcribed by AFOFG]
PRESTON, William Bowker
William Bowker Preston, who became the first bishop of Logan and the presiding bishop in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, passed away August 2, 1908. He was a man of the widest influence in public affairs in Utah —affairs that touched the material, political and moral history of the state. His advice and counsel were always a directing influence in Utah from the time that he became a resident thereof, and his high position in public life is indicated in the fact that he has been termed "the Brigham Young of Cache county."
Mr. Preston was born on the 24th of November, 1830, in Franklin county, Virginia. The Preston family, of Scotch origin, traces a complete and extremely numerous ancestry down through nine hundred years. In 1900 William B. Preston of this review published a handsome volume entitled the Preston Genealogy, tracing the history of the family from about 1040 A. D. in England, Scotland and Ireland, in the New England states and in Virginia to the present time. In 1902 he published a small supplementary pamphlet dealing with the same subject.
Bishop Preston was well born, and his early training developed in him qualities which were of great worth in later years. He spent the first nineteen years of his life upon his father's farm and became familiar with all of the work incident to the development of the place and the care of the stock. It is said that if the boy stood in need of an ax-handle his father pointed him to the hickory growth and to the work bench and told him to make one; if he needed to know the dimensions of a tract of land, he was given a chain or a rope and told to survey it; if he needed a pair of shoes he was sent to the shoe shop to make them and thus he learned to develop his talents and to use his time wisely and well. A contemporary biographer has said: "All the details o£ farm work, its simple, homely duties and its economic problems, were alike familiar to him. It was a discipline in sturdy independence as well as a schooling in economy and thrift. It was just the training he could make use of in after years." His educational opportunities between the ages of six and eighteen years were limited to attendance at the district schools during the winter, and later he spent an entire year in school under a teacher from the north. Nor was his religious training neglected, for on each Sunday morning he would walk with his father and brothers to the Methodist church, a mile distant from home, and throughout his entire life he remained a regular attendant at church services on Sunday.
When nearing man's estate he left home and became a salesman in a store and afterward a bookkeeper. He spent two years in a mercantile establishment in Lynchburg , Virginia , forty-five miles from his home, being employed by John T. Davis, his kinsman. His desire to see something of the world led him in 1852 to a determination to go to California , and perfecting his plans, he sailed from New York in August of that year, landing at Aspinwall. He crossed the Isthmus of Panama on a donkey and then proceeded by steamer to San Francisco. In New York city he had deposited money in a bank, which he had forwarded to San Francisco. On presenting himself at the bank to receive payment he was told that he must be identified. He faced the situation of knowing no one nearer than Virginia , three thousand miles away. Seriously considering this matter while walking the streets, the thought occurred to him that when counting out his money in the New York bank he had called for a slip of paper, and writing his name upon it, had asked the clerk to pin it to his letter of notification to his correspondent in San Francisco. Mr. Preston then returned to the bank in the latter city, wrote his name upon a slip of paper and asked that a search be made for the slip which he had originally written in New York. The signatures were compared and thus his identification was established. Moreover, it illustrated the practical business sagacity of Mr. Preston even at that early age.
Mr. Preston spent the succeeding winter in San Francisco and, recognizing the fact that many of the miners who made considerable money in the summer seemed to have nothing to spend in the winter, he determined to turn his attention to agricultural rather than to mining pursuits. Removing to Yolo county, twenty-five miles west of Sacramento , he there settled on a farm of three hundred and twenty acres, which he stocked with cattle, hogs and poultry, and during the next four years his attention was given to the further development and improvement of that place. His nearest neighbors were a family of Mormons, and his investigation into their religious belief led to his becoming a convert to the faith. Moreover, he married the only daughter of the family, Harriet Ann Thatcher, and in February, 1857, he was baptized into the church and entered upon a life of religious activity, which brought him into a high position in church circles and made his life of the greatest benefit to his fellowmen. Soon after his baptism he was ordained an elder and sent to preach the gospel in the northern part of California in May, 1857. His work there, however, covered but a brief period, for the United States army under General Albert Sidney Johnston was advancing on Utah , and the authorities at Salt Lake had called in all the people to the shelter of the Rocky mountains. Therefore Elder Preston traveled to Salt Lake City, where he arrived on New Year's day of 1858.
The Thatcher family also made the trip, and on the 24th day of February, 1858, William B. Preston and Harriet Ann Thatcher were married. One who recognized Bishop Preston's marked ability and prominence said of his wife that "she was well adapted by nature,' training and experience to be the wife of such a man."
They became residents of Utah at a very momentous period in its history, and on the day of their marriage Colonel Thomas L. Kane arrived by way of California to commence negotiations that finally brought about a mutual understanding by which the army of Johnston was permitted to enter the territory. The people of Utah , however, were not fully satisfied with the treaty that had been made between the army and the followers of the church and an order came for all residents of northern Utah to move southward. In execution of this command William B. Preston made his way to Payson, seventy miles south of Salt Lake City, and while there he was called upon for a somewhat hazardous mission as a member of a company of twenty-three young men who were sent by President Young to Platte Bridge to bring on the goods and merchandise which had been cached there.
After his return during the summer of 1858 Bishop Preston built a house in Payson, making the adobes and shingles with his own hands. His adaptability in this respect was the result of his early efficient training. In consequence of the Utah war the people of the state were short of clothing and merchandise, and Mr. Preston, in company with his brothers-in-law, Joseph W. and Aaron B. Thatcher, went to California in the winter of 1858-9 and brought in two wagonloads of goods for his father-in-law. As he could not obtain sufficient land for his business needs at Payson he and his brothers-in-law, John B. and Aaron D. Thatcher, accompanied by Mr. Preston's wife, left Payson in August. 1859. and journeyed into Cache valley, coining eventually to the present site of Logan. There they found several families in camp with a few wagons, preparing to build, but no house had then been erected.
Mr. Preston and his brothers-in-law drove north across the Logan river, and the former, with his usual decision of character, said: "This is good enough for me." The men therefore pitched their tents, took off their wagon beds and became the founders of the city of Logan. They worked day and night to build their houses and establish their homes and when in November, 1859, Orson Hyde and Ezra T. Benson came into Cache valley to organize the settlements, which had been located under the direction of Peter Maughan, it was necessary to select a bishop for Logan. In reply to the question of the church authorities concerning a suitable man for bishop of Logan , Peter Maughan said: "There is a young man living in that house who seems to be a very enterprising go-ahead man, who, I think, will make a good bishop. He and the Thatcher boys have done the most in the shape of building and improving during the time they have been here. They have worked day and night." Accordingly Mr. Preston was chosen and entered upon his new duties with the greatest zeal and earnestness.
During the winter of 1859 a schoolhouse was built at Logan that was also used for a meeting house, at which time there were but seventeen families in the town. Bishop Preston also made the plans for laying out and digging the Logan and Hyde Park canal, and in the spring of 1860, while there was yet two feet or" snow on the ground, he, with the aid of Surveyor Jesse W. Fox, laid out the city of Logan. Bishop Preston himself carrying one end of the chain. The year 1860 brought many new settlers into the district, and Bishop Preston's time was largely spent in apportioning the land and selecting homes for the newcomers. The labors of Bishop Preston were of a most varied and important nature. It was also deemed a necessity to organize a militia company which was required to be always ready to defend themselves and property from the Indians. Brigham Young, however, gave strict orders to give the natives no cause of offense and not to kill the game nor take the fish which the Indians claimed as theirs, but to buy what was needed. Their treatment of the Indians in Utah proved a satisfactory method of handling them, but about the middle of June, 1861, a large number of Indians came from Oregon and stated their intention of driving the whites from the Cache valley. They encamped on what is now known as the Brigham Young College lands, but they found the settlers well guarded and their herds and flocks carefully protected and after some weeks they withdrew, finding no place for attack. In spite of the vigilance of the settlers, however, the Indians took away many of their horses.
In November, 1862, Mr. Preston was chosen to represent Cache county in the lower house of the Utah legislature and he spent the winters of 1862-3 and 1863-4 in Salt Lake, where he had the benefit of association with some of the eminent statesmen and master minds of Utah. In the spring of 1863, when President Young called for five hundred ox teams to go to the Missouri river to bring the poor across the plains, Bishop Preston was appointed captain of the fifty teams, constituting the quota of the Cache valley, and his duties in this connection occupied him the greater part of the year. In 1864 he made another trip to Missouri to aid the emigrants, being appointed to take charge of the teams from Cache, Box Elder and Weber counties. With his return he was again elected to the legislature and served through the winters of 1863, 1864 and 1865.
In the latter year Mr. Preston was chosen one of forty-six called for missions to Europe and had charge of the company of missionaries as far as New York. On reaching the eastern metropolis he decided to go to Virginia to visit his parents, whom he had not seen for thirteen years and from whom he had heard nothing during the Civil war. His visit over, he proceeded to England, arriving at Liverpool on the 23d of August, 1865. He was appointed to preside over the Newcastle and Durham conferences and in January, 1866, was appointed to the business department of the Liverpool, office, having charge of the correspondence and general business of the European mission, including that of the emigration. While abroad he visited the Paris Exposition in August, 1867. His mission of three and a half years concluded, he left Liverpool on July 14, 1868, reaching Salt Lake in September, accompanied by a colony of six hundred and fifty converts to the faith.
With his return Mr. Preston became one of the contractors in the building of the Union Pacific Railroad and afterward resumed his labors as bishop of Logan. At the next election he was once more chosen to represent his district in the general assembly of Utah and on the 7th of March, 1870, he was elected mayor of Logan and filled the office for twelve years, or until March, 1882, giving to the city a businesslike and progressive administration, in which he brought about various needed reforms and improvements. It was soon after his return from Europe that he was appointed a trustee and one of the directors of the Brigham Young College at Logan , and later he became chairman of its executive committee. With the development of the state he was called upon to undertake another important work. Cache county at that time was regarded as the "granary of Utah " because of her large production of farm products, and she also raised a large amount of stock. A lack of railroad communication, however, made it difficult for her to send her supplies to the market and in August, 1871, it was decided to build the needed sixty miles of road. A local company was formed for the purpose and Mr. Preston was chosen vice president and superintendent of construction, devoting the greater part of his time during the succeeding three years to the building of the Utah Northern Railway, which was completed in May, 1874.
On the 21st of May, 1877, the Cache stake of Zion was reorganized and William B. Preston was made first counselor to the president, Moses Thatcher, his brother-in-law, whom he succeeded in 1879 as the president when Mr. Thatcher was called to be an apostle. Mr. Preston continued to act as president of the Cache stake of Zion until April 6, 1884, when he was chosen at the general conference to be the presiding bishop of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. In this connection a contemporary biographer has written: "He had now reached the point where he should commence the work for which he was sent into the world.
All the experiences of his early life had been but a preparation for this. His boyhood on the farm; his discipline in the keeping of accounts and in merchandising; his travels to, and his mingling with the men of all nations in California; his schooling in agriculture and stock raising; his crossing and recrossing of the desert on the west, and of the plains on the east; his dealings with the Indians; his work of legislation; his labors as a minister of the Gospel abroad, and in behalf of higher education at home; his experience in the construction of roads and canals and railways—all these were but stepping stones to and a preparation for this new calling. The testimony of his close friend and associate, Wilford Woodruff, the late president of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints may here be given. On the ninetieth anniversary of his birthday President Woodruff called about him at his home all the general authorities of the church for an evening of social enjoyment; and at the close of the evening, sitting at the center-table in his parlor, he wrote for each of his guests in turn on a small card a sentiment or some expression of his good will. To Bishop William B. Preston he presented a card bearing this inscription: 'The fullness of the bishopric was awaiting thee in Zion while thou wert on the way to California though thou knew it not. Thou wilt be numbered in that quorum in the morning of the resurrection. Great will be thy reward.—Wilford Woodruff.'"
Bishop Preston's keen practical mind early saw the possibilities of irrigation and it was he who first recommended the taking out of the first canals from the Snake river in the Rexburg district of Idaho. He was one of the first, if not the first, to urge dry farming, basing his theory on the growth of wild wheat in the primitive soil. Time has proved the correctness of his judgment in the results that have been achieved. He was a member of the constitutional convention which met March 4, 1895, to form a constitution upon which the state was admitted to the Union.
Bishop Preston was the father of nine children, but the first born, Alfred Norman, died at birth. There were four children born of his marriage to Harriet Ann Thatcher. Of these Alley was born at Logan, March 2, 1863, and on the 29th of December, 1881, became the wife of Lyman R. Martineau. She died September 15, 1907. William Bowker, the third of the family, who was born August 25, 1864, and died August 2, 1907, was married April 30, 1885, to Katharine D. Pyper. May, who was born May 30, 1869, was married January 17, 1895, to Oscar Wood Moyle, a leading attorney of Salt Lake City. By his second marriage Mr. Preston had five children: Lee, born May 16, 1873, who wedded Amy D. Davidson on the 13th of March, 1895; Stephen, who was born May 28, 1876, and died in April, 1878; Nephi, who was born June 14, 1879, and died in infancy; Samuel A., born October 11, 1881; and Mary A., born March 7, 1885. Mrs. Harriet Ann (Thatcher) Preston, widow of Bishop Preston, survives her husband and yet makes her home in Salt Lake City. She traces her ancestry back to John Howland, who came to America as one of the passengers on the Mayflower. In the death of Bishop Preston, Utah lost one of the most honored and prominent of her pioneer settlers—one whose capability constantly broadened and expanded, his powers being utilized for the tangible expression of the high ideals which governed his life. [Source: Utah since Statehood: Historical and Biographical Volume 2; By Noble Warrum; Publ. 1919; Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack.]
STARKEY, Tazewell Merriman
For many years one of the most prominent men in Roanoke County was the late Tazewell Merriman Starkey. He was born in Franklin County, Virginia, in December, 1829, and died January, 1910. He was a son of Mr. and Mrs. Jack Starkey, and was educated in the private schools of his native county. He came to Roanoke County in 1850 and was engaged in farming. After the Civil War he purchased one of the finest farms in Roanoke County, near Cave Spring, where he resided until the time of his death. He was one of the first directors of the First National Bank, and served in that capacity until the time of his death. He was a large owner of Roanoke County lands. The Norfolk & Western station at Starkey was named in his honor. For a period of twenty-eight years he was a member of the Board of Supervisors of Roanoke County from Cave Spring District. He was a valiant Confederate soldier, serving in the Fifth Virginia Cavalry. He was wounded in the Seven Days' Fight around Richmond, and had three horses shot under him. Seven other bullets pierced his jacket, but otherwise left him unharmed. In May, 1865, he was married to Henrietta P. Harvey, daughter of Colonel and Mrs. Robert Harvey, of Roanoke County, and as a result of that union there were four children; namely, Mrs. Junior W. White, of Cave Spring; Mrs. Eliza B. Smith, of Roanoke; II. Clay Starkey, of Roanoke; and Joseph G. Starkey, who resides at the old homestead. Mr. Starkey was a man of keen business ability, and in his death the county lost one of its most prominent and progressive citizens. [History of Roanoke County by George S. Jack, Edward Boyle Jacobs; published 1915; Submitted to Genealogy Trails by Andrea Stawski Pack]
TURNER, Callohill Minnis
Callohill M. Turner, for forty-two years a resident of this city, was born July 13th, 1839, in Franklin County, Virginia. In his boyhood he attended the country schools, such as Henry County, where he moved in childhood, afforded. He is a son of Andrew H. and Frances (Holland) Turner, deceased. His father was born in 1797, and his mother in 1801, the latter being a daughter of Major John M. Holland, who represented Franklin County in the State Legislature for many years. Andrew H. Turner was thrown from his horse and killed while hunting at the age of eighty-five years. Mrs. Turner lived to be ninety-three years old. The following children were born to them: William H., 1825; Mary J., 1827; John P., 1829; James E., 1831; George Abner, 1833; Andrew E., 1835; Sarah A., 1837; and Callohill M., the subject of this sketch, 1839.
Callohill M. Turner married Julia Anne Menefee of Franklin County, Virginia, in 1865, and in 1867 located at Union Hall, Franklin County, where he lived until 1870 when he removed to Big Lick, and engaged in the manufacture of tobacco under the firm name of Turner, Trout & Company, his partners being John and Henry S. Trout, this he followed for a period of twelve years. He was elected a member of the Big Lick Council for two terms and was later appointed by that body as Town Assessor, and after the incorporation of Roanoke City, in 1884, was elected the first Commissioner of the Revenue, which position he held for ten years. While a city official Mr. Turner did much in the way of up building the city. He erected a number of excellent residences on Henry Street and Franklin Road. He now resides on a twenty acre farm just south of Roanoke River, near the city. When the Civil War broke out, Callohill M. Turner joined Company F, Forty-Second Virginia Regiment, and at the Battle of Mine Run on November 27th, 1863, had his right arm shot off.
To his marriage with Julia Anne Menefee the following children were born: Dilla J., married to Frank Wickline, resides in Washington, D. C.; Morton W.; Waller M., ex-city treasurer, deceased; Henry, of Johnson City, Tennessee; Frances Parker, married to George T. Lester, and resides in Henry County, Virginia; Roy C., Hunter, and William A., all of whom died in infancy. Julia Anne Turner died in Roanoke in 1900, and on April 3d, 1901, Callohill Minnis Turner married, secondly, Lydia Emily Lowman, daughter of Michael and Lucinda Lowman. One son, John Curtis Turner was born to this union. [History of Roanoke County by George S. Jack, Edward Boyle Jacobs; published 1915; Sub. to Genealogy Trails by Andrea Stawski Pack.]
Biographies of VMI Cadets:
James C. Leftwich - Joseph A. Hambrick - Thomas S. Taylor
Copyright © Genealogy Trails