Bland, Schuyler Otis
(1872-1950), a Representative from Virginia; born near Gloucester, Gloucester County, Va., May 4, 1872; attended the Gloucester Academy, Gloucester, Va.; attended the College of William and Mary, Williamsburg, Va.; teacher; lawyer, private practice; elected as a Democrat to the Sixty-fifth Congress to fill the vacancy caused by the death of United States Representative William A. Jones; reelected to the Sixty-sixth and to the fifteen succeeding Congresses (July 2, 1918-February 16, 1950); chair, Committee on Merchant Marine and Fisheries (Seventy-third through Seventy-ninth Congresses and Eighty-first Congress); died on February 16, 1950, in Bethesda, Md.; interment in Greenlawn Cemetery, Newport News, Va. (Source: Biographical Directory of the US Congress 1774-Present)
Burwell, Lewis, of "Carter's Creek," Gloucester, and of "King's Creek," York, was a son of Maj. Lewis Burwell and Lucy Higginson, his wife. He was a justice of Gloucester in 1680 and a trustee of William and Mary College in 1692. He was probably appointed to the council by the governor in 1700. Such appointments were always provisional and had to be ratified by the English authorities and on Dec. 4, 1700, the lords of trade wrote to Gov. Nicholson that he had been appointed to the council. On Oct. 13, 1701, Maj. Burwell wrote to the lords of trade that he had received his majesty's command requiring his service as one of the council of the colony. It was his very great misfortune that upon this occasion it was not in his power to pay the respect of duty and obedience which he had always been ambitious to do, and therefore he prayed their lordships' intercession with his majesty not to insist upon his commands. Sickness and lameness, with which he was very often afflicted, made it impossible for him to attend. Accordingly, on May 7, 1702, the lords of trade recommended to the Queen that Lewis Burwell be discharged from the council, which was done. It was with one of this Maj. Burwell's daughters that Gov. Nicholson became infatuated, as Dr. Blair reports. He died Dec. 19, 1710. He married (first) Abigail Smith, niece of Hon. Nathaniel Bacon, Esq., and (second) Martha, widow of Col. William Cole, formerly secretary of state, and daughter of Councillor Col. John Lear. [Encyclopedia of Virginia Biography, Under the Editorial Supervision of Lyon Gardiner Tyler, 1915 - Transcribed by AFOFG]
Bryan Family (To read this biography click on the name.)
Cary, Colonel John B.
Colonel Cary was born in Hampton, Virginia, in 1819, a son of Col. Gill A. Cary, of Hampton, who was born March 18, 1783, and died in March, 1843; son of John Cary of Back River, Elizabeth City county, Virginia, born 1740, died 1795; son of Miles Cary, "The Elder,'' owner of "Peartree Hall," Warwick County, Virginia, who died in 1766; son of Miles Cary who died in 1724, who was a grandson of Miles Cary, "The Emigrant," who came to Virginia from Bristol, England, in 1640, and died in Warwick county, Virginia, 1667. His mother was SarahE. S., daughter of Major James Baytop, of Gloucester County, Virginia, born September 18, 1789, died in April, 1879. He was educated at Hampton Academy, and at William and Mary College, graduating from that time honored institution July 4, 1839. For five years he taught school, then was seventeen years principal of Hampton Academy, which was disbanded April, 1861, on the secession of the State of Virginia.
He entered the Confederate States' service as Major of Virginia Volunteers; was promoted Lieutenant-Colonel after the fight at Bethel, and assigned to the 32nd Virginia Regiment; was subsequently appointed Assistant Adjutant and Inspector-General at the request of Gen. JohnB. Magruder, and assigned to duty on his staff, serving through the Peninsular Campaign, and the Seven Days' Fights around Richmond. After Gen. Magruder's transfer to the Trans-Mississippi Department, Col. Cary was transferred to the Paymaster's Department, in which he served until the close of the war, on duty in Richmond. After the evacuation of Richmond, and the surrender at Appomatox C. H., he returned to Richmond, and was paroled April 24, 1865. He farmed for one year: then in February, 1866, was elected General Agent of the Virginia Penitentiary. He went into business also, as general commission merchant, with the lute W. A. Armistead, of the firm of Armistead, Rice Cary & Co., later Armistead & Cary.
Colonel Cary was removed from his official position by the Commander of Military District No. 1, December 24, 1868. In January, 1869, he entered the Insurance business as General Agent of the Piedmont Life Insurance Co.: after a few months, he went to New York, as a member of the firm of Morriss & Cary, but soon accepted an appointment as General Agent of the Piedmont and Arlington Life Insurance Co., serving as such nearly two years. He was then for several years associated with Gen. Harry Heth, as General Agent and Manager of the Virginia Department of the Life Association of America, of which he subsequently became sole manager, resigning this position at the close of 1887. In January, 1878, he was appointed General Agent for Virginia of the Northwestern Mutual Life Insurance Co., of Milwaukee; and in 1883, with his son (T. A. Cary,) under the firm name of John B. Cary & Son, was appointed to the position they still hold as General Agents of this Company for Virginia and North Carolina.
Colonel Gary served as Treasurer and Superintendent of the Democratic City Committee, of Richmond, Virginia, for about six years, to July, 1886, when he was appointed Superintendent of Schools for the City of Richmond, which position he resigned in February, 1889. Himself and family are members of the Seventh Street Christian Church, Richmond.
At Seaford, Matthews County, Virginia, in January, 1844, he married Columbia H. Hudgins, of that county. The record of their children is: Gilliena, unmarried; John B., jr., died in August, 1861, aged thirteen years; Lizzie E.,married Wm.T. Daniel, of Richmond; Elfie M.,married John L. White, of Caroline county, Virginia; Sallie Campbell, married Louis P. Knowles, of Pensacola, Florida; T. Archibald, married Maria B. Abert, of Columbus, Mississippi. [Virginia and Virginians: Eminent Virginians - History of Virginia and Viregina From Settlement of Jamestown to Close of the Civil War, Volume 2 by Robert Alonzo Brock amd Virgil Anson Lewis, 1888 - Transcribed by AFOFG]
Davis, Hon. Richard Beale
Was born in Norfolk County, Virginia, on February 5, 1845, the son of William T. Davis, who was born in Gloucester County, Virginia, February 6, 1817, and died July 17, 1888. His mother, born inWestmoreland County, Virginia, in 1815, died January 21, 1851, was Elizabeth T. C. Beale. His wife, born in Lynchburg, Virginia, is Nannie W., daughter of Charles H. Hall who was born in North Carolina, and died in August, 1872. Her mother was Annie S. Duffey born in Alexandria Virginia now living in Petersburg. Richard K, first-born of the children of Mr. and Mrs. Davis, died in 1877. Their remaining children are: Nannie H., Charles H., Robert B. and John W.
At the age of seventeen years, in May, 1862, Mr. Davis entered the Confederate States Army, Company E, 12th Virginia Infantry, with which he served until the close at Appomattox. He was slightly wounded the battle of Seven Pines, and again wounded at Petersburg (battle of the Crater). Returning home he resumed his studies, and took the academic course in the University of Virginia, then studied law in the same university, mid was graduated in June, 1870. He settled in Petersburg, and has since been engaged in practice in that city and adjoining counties. He was a member of Virginia legislature from Petersburg in 1875-1877. [Virginia and Virginians: Eminent Virginians - History of Virginia and Viregina From Settlement of Jamestown to Close of the Civil War, Volume 2 by Robert Alonzo Brock and Virgil Anson Lewis, 1888 - Transcribed by FOFG]
Jones, Cary W.
Son of William W. Jones, sr., was born in Richmond, Virginia, on September 23, 1852. His father, born in Gloucester County, Virginia, died in the fall of I860. His mother, Ann E., a daughter of General R. E. Dabney, was born in Caroline county, Virginia, and is now a resident in Richmond. His wife, born in Petersburg, is Annie F., daughter of William H. Tappey, whose family record appears on another page of this book. They were married at Petersburg, November 12, 1884. Their son, Cary W., Jr., was born September 11, 1885, and died on June 16, 1886, and they have one daughter, Lucy Dabney.
Mr. Jones went to school in Richmond, then to the academy at Princeton, Kentucky, and later took a course in a business college in Baltimore, Maryland. During the war he was for a time clerk in the Winder Confederate hospital, Richmond. In 1869 he went to Norfolk, Virginia, where for a time he was engaged in the wholesale clothing business. In 1874 he was connected with the Norfolk Virginian, in 1878 with the Baltimore American. In 1881 he wrote and published the work entitled "Norfolk as a Business Center," a work of considerable note, and which gave much satisfaction, running through five editions. In October 1885 he made his home in Petersburg, becoming senior member of the firm of Jones, Bain & Co., which was succeeded by the firm of Cary W. Jones &Co., manufacturers of high grade fertilizers, which business he is still successfully conducting. Mr. Jones is a member of the city council of Petersburg. His family connections by blood go back to the families of Sir Francis West and Lord De La Ware. His brother is now holding a farm in King William County which was a part of the family grant. [Virginia and Virginians: Eminent Virginians - History of Virginia and Virgina From Settlement of Jamestown to Close of the Civil War, Volume 2 by Robert Alonzo Brock amd Virgil Anson Lewis, 1888 - Transcribed by FOFG]
Was a son of John Lightfoot, barrister-at-law, of Northampton County, England, and with his brother Philip, came to Virginia and settled in Gloucester County. On June 10, 1670, Lightfoot received the King's grant as auditor-general of Virginia, in place of Thomas Stegge, then lately deceased. On Dec. 17, 1671, his majesty, having learned that Gov. Berkeley had appointed Digges to the place prior to his own letters patent to Lightfoot, and that Digges was "a person every way fit for said office," directed Berkeley to suspend Lightfoot and substitute Digges. Moryson in a letter to Lord Arlington said that Berkeley's commission to Digges "bore date long before Captain Lightfoot did so much as sue for his," and objects to Lightfoot on the grounds that at the time when he received his commission he was not a member of the council or a resident of Virginia, "so that if he hath the place he must be forced to execute it by deputy, which is contrary to law," and that he was reported to have "many great debts upon him, one no less than a statute of £700." In 1681 reference is made to Lightfoot as having married Anne, daughter of Thomas Goodrich, lieutenant-general in Bacon's rebellion, and in 1692 we are told that John Lightfoot, "lately come into the country," was a councillor. It is probable that he had lately returned from a visit to England. On Sept. 5, 1695, the lords justices, on recommendation of the committee of trades and plantations, directed that John Lightfoot be added to the Virginia council. In 1699 he was collector for the country between James and York rivers, and in 1701 voted with other councillors for the recall of Nicholson. He is also mentioned as having been commander-in-chief of King and Queen County. He died May 28, 1707, leaving issue. [Encyclopedia of Virginia Biography, Under the Editorial Supervision of Lyon Gardiner Tyler, 1915 - Transcribed by FOFG]
Of "Rosewell," Gloucester County, was a son of Col. John Page, and was born in 1659. He was a member of the House of Burgesses and a charter trustee of William and Mary College in 1692, and escheator for the district between the York and Rappahannock rivers from 1699 to 1702. He was appointed to the council in 1700, probably to fill a vacancy, and the appointment confirmed in 1702 by the Queen. He remained a member until his death in 1703. He married Mary Mann, of Gloucester County, Virginia. [Encyclopedia of Virginia Biography, Under the Editorial Supervision of Lyon Gardiner Tyler, 1915 - Transcribed by FOFG]
Lawyer, U. S. senator, representative in congress, was born July 5, 1820, near Huntsville, Madison County, and died August 6, 1900, at Athens; son of Luke and Anne Batte (Lane) Pryor, the former a native of Virginia, who was first married to Martha Scott, sister of Gen. Winfield Scott, and who lived at Petersburg, Va., until after his second marriage in 1808, when he moved to Brunswick and later Nottoway Counties Va., and came to Alabama in 1820, first locating in Madison County, near Huntsville, where he farmed and taught school for a few years, and later moving to Limestone County, where he died in June, 1851; grandson of John and Anne (Bland) Pryor, the former a native of England, who came to America about 1700, and purchased land in Virginia, and of Benjamin and Sylvia (Perry) Lane, natives of Virginia, who lived in Brunswick County, Va.; great-grandson of Samuel and Prudence (Thornton) Pryor, and of Richard and Ann (Poythress) Bland, who lived at Jordan's Point, Va.; great-great-grandson of Col. William Thornton of Gloucester County, Va, Mr. Pryor received his early education at Mooresville, Limestone County, and for a short time was a student at Washington college, near Natchez, Miss. He began the study of law in 1841 under Judge Daniel Coleman, and received a license to practice in the local courts the same year. He entered into a partnership with Robert C Brickell, the late chief justice of the supreme court of Alabama, and continued that association until 1843; was law partner of Col. Egbert Jones for a short time; was appointed with Gen. Leroy Pope Walker as bank attorney at Decatur, 1844; was re-appointed in 1845 with D. C Humphries as attorney for the same bank; resigned that position later in the year, continuing the practice of law in connection with farming at Athens; was elected to the State legislature in 1855, pledged to the work of securing authority to subscribe two hundred thousand dollars to the capital stock of the Tennessee and Alabama central railroad company, at Nashville and Decatur, and secured the bill raising that tax, enacted over the veto of Gov. Winston; entered into a partnership with George S. Houston in 1866, which lasted until 1874, when Mr. Houston was elected governor; continued his practice alone until in December, 1879, when he was appointed by Gov. Cobb to the U. S. senate to fill the vacancy caused by the death of Mr. Houston; served as senator from December 31, 1879, until the legislature met in November, 1880, when he declined to be a candidate to complete the unexpired term; abandoned the law and gave his attention to farming, remaining in quiet life for two years, until in 1883, without his knowledge, he was nominated for representative in congress from the eighth district by acclamation at the convention assembled in Decatur. He was elected and served 1883-1885, declining a second term.
Married: August 20, 1845, to Isabella Virginia Harris, born January 7, 1826, in Limestone County, who died in June, 1889, daughter of John H. and Frances (Rowzee) Harris, natives of Virginia, who lived in Albemarle County, Va., the former a captain in the War of 1812; granddaughter of Matthew and Elizabeth (Tate) Harris, and of John and Isabella (Miller) Rowzee, of Essex County, Va.; greatgranddaughter of William and Mary (Netherland) Harris; great-great-granddaughter of Matthew and Elizabeth (Lee) Harris. Children: 1. Aurora, Athens, m. Robert A. McClellan, deceased; 2. William Richard, deceased, m. Ida Harris, Harris; 3. Memory, Athens, m. William Shirley Peebles, deceased; 4. Anne Batte Lane, deceased, m. Maclin Sloss, Birmingham; 5. Frances Snow, Athens; 6. Isabella Benjamin, d. in infancy; 7. Mary, m. Thomas Bass Leslie, West Point, Miss.; 8. Harriett Emily, deceased, m. Robert J. Lowe (q. v.). Last residence: Athens. [History of Alabama and dictionary of Alabama biography, Volume 4 By Thomas McAdory Owen, Mrs. Marie (Bankhead) Owen, 1921 - Transcribed by AFOFG]
Stubbs, William Carter
Educator: b. Gloucester county, Va., Dec. 7, 1846. He is the son of Jefferson W. Stubbs and Ann Walker Carter. Student at William and Mary College, 1860. Graduated at Randolph Macon College, 1862, University of Virginia, 1867. In 1875 married Elizabeth Saunders Blair. Served during the War of Secession in the Confederate cavalry. Professor of natural sciences East Alabama College, 1869-72; professor of chemistry, Agricultural and Mechanical College of Alabama, 1872-85; state chemist of Alabama, 1872-85; state chemist of Louisiana since 1886. Director of three experimental stations in charge of the Louisiana Geological Survey, state commissioner to the World's Fair in St. Louis, 1904. Director Louisiana Experimental Station in Audubon Park, New Orleans. Author of Sugar; The Descendants of Mordecai Cooke, and other works on genealogy, as well as many bulletins issued from the state experimental stations. [Source: THE SOUTH in the Building of the Nation Volume XI; Edited by James Curtis Ballagh, Walter Lynwood Fleming & Southern Historical Publication Society; Publ. 1909; Transcribed and submitted by Andrea Stawski Pack]
The Taliaferro family early settled in Virginia, where they were land and slave owners. The will of Charles Taliaferro of St. Mary's parish, Caroline county, Virginia, dated March 2, 1734, gives to wife Mary, three hundred acres of the tract on which they lived, with seven slaves, household goods and live stock. To granddaughters he also bequeathed lands and slaves. Richard Taliaferro was an early settler of Gloucester county, where his daughter Martha married, in 1711, Thomas Turner, the first of this line in Virginia. Taliaferros served with distinction in the revolution and the family have ever been prominent in Virginia, and eminent in the professions. Edward C. S. Taliaferro was born in Gloucester, Virginia, December 17, 1874, son of General William Booth and Sally (Lyons) Taliaferro.
General William Booth Taliaferro, was born in Belleville, Gloucester county, Virginia, December 28, 1822, son of Warner T. and Fanny (Booth) Taliaferro, and a descendant of Robert Taliaferro, gent., first of the name in Virginia, in 1655, who married a daughter of Rev. Charles Grymes.
William Booth Taliaferro was liberally educated, being a student at Harvard University, then at the college of William and Mary, from which he was graduated in 1841. He studied law, but was soon drawn to a military career. On April 9, 1847, he was appointed captain in the Eleventh Regiment United States Infantry, for service during the Mexican war. On August 12, same year, he was promoted to major and assigned to the Ninth Infantry. On August 26, 1848, he was mustered out of service, the war being over, and resumed the practice of his profession, in which he was successfully engaged until again drawn to military life. In May, 1861, within a few days after the beginning of the war between the states, he was commissioned colonel in the provisional army of Virginia, and was placed in command of the troops at Gloucester Point, Virginia. He took part in the battle of Carrick's Ford, Virginia, July 13, 1861. On March 4, 1862, he was promoted to brigadier-general, and served in the army of northern Virginia until March, 1863, when he was placed in command of the district of Savannah, Georgia. He was among the most active of the defenders of Charleston and its dependencies, commanding the first division, first military district, during the siege; commanding the garrison of Morris Island in July, 1863, and the garrison on James Island in the following month. In February, 1864, he commanded a division in Florida; the seventh military district of South Carolina in May, 1864, and the entire district of South Carolina, December, 1864. He was promoted to major-general, January 1, 1865, and commanded a division until peace was restored. After this brilliant military career, General Taliaferro resumed his law practice. He was active in political and educational affairs and wielded a potent influence throughout the state. He was an efficient member of the state assembly and a presidential elector, elected to both positions as a Democrat. In 1892 he was chosen judge of Gloucester county, and until his death displayed signal ability as a jurist. He was president of the board of visitors of William and Mary College, president of Fairview Normal School, and also a member of the board of directors of the Virginia Military Institute. In 1876-1877 he was grandmaster of the Grand Lodge, Free and Accepted Masons, of Virginia. General Taliaferro died in Belleville, Virginia, February 27, 1898. General Taliaferro married, in 1856, Sally Lyons, of Richmond, Virginia, born in 1825, died in 1899. Children: Leah Sedden; Judge James Lyons, of Gloucester, Virginia; Warner Throgmorton Langbon, professor in Agricultural College, College Park, Maryland, married Emily Johnson; George Withe Booth; Fannie, died aged twelve years; Mary Heningham Lyons, married Harry Osborne Sanders; William Churchill Lyons, married Mabel Scleter, and has children: Mary S. and William L.; Edward C. S., of whom further (sic)
Dr. Edward C. S. Taliaferro was early educated and prepared for college under private tutors. He then entered the historic William and Mary College, whence he was graduated with the class of 1895. Having chosen medicine as his profession he entered the Medical College of Virginia, receiving his degree M. D. with the class of 1898. After serving a term as interne [sic] at St. Vincent's Hospital, Norfolk, Virginia, he engaged in private practice until 1902, after which he went abroad and spent a year in Vienna, taking post-graduate courses in surgery. He then returned to Norfolk and resumed practice. Dr. Taliaferro has a large general practice, but prefers surgery and so far as possible makes that line of practice a specialty. He is chief of the Medical Clinic of St. Vincent's Hospital; was for four years assistant health commissioner of the city of Norfolk; president of the Norfolk County Medical Society; member of the American Medical Association, and formerly belonged to many of the social clubs of the city. His skill as a surgeon is fully recognized and his large practice in both medicine and surgery fully occupies his time to the exclusion of other interests. He is very popular and a warm friend of the children, who in turn are his devoted friends. He is prominent in the Masonic Order, belonging to Lodge, Chapter, Council, Commandery and Shrine, and is an Elk. In religious faith he is an Episcopalian and has served as vestryman of St. Paul's Church. In politics he is a Democrat. Dr. Taliaferro married, November 10, 1908, Alice Serpell, daughter of Goldsborough and Georgianna (Clark) Serpell, of Maryland. Children: Georgianna, born August 24, 1909; William Booth (2), born December 2, 1910; Alice Serpell, born February 5, 1912.[Source: Encyclopedia of Virginia Biography, Vol. IV Transcribed by Chris Davis]
The second Ralph to be councillor, was a son of Ralph Wormeley, Esq., burgess and councillor, and of Agatha Eltonhead, who married (first) Luke Stubbins, of Northampton county, (second) Ralph Wormeley, and (third) Sir Henry Chicheley. He was born in 1650; matriculated, July 4, 1665, at Oriel College, Oxford: was a member of the House of Burgesses in 1674; appointed member of the council in 1677; secretary of state in 1693, and became in the same year president of the council. He lived in such state at his residence, "Rosegill," on the Rappahannock River, and had such influence in affairs, that he was called the greatest man in "Virginia." He married (first) Catherine, widow of Colonel Peter Jenings and daughter of Sir Thomas Lunsford, by whom he had two daughters Elizabeth, who married John Lomax, and Catherine, who married Gawin Corbin. He married (second) Elizabeth Armistead, daughter of Colonel John Armistead, of Gloucester County, and had several sons and daughters, one of whom was John Wormeley, who was grandfather of Ralph Wormeley, the third councillor of the name (q. v.). "Rosegill," his beautiful home on the Rappahannock, was the residence at different times of two of the governors of Virginia - Sir Henry Chicheley, who married his mother, and Lord Howard, of Effingham, who preferred living here to residing at Jamestown. Colonel Wormeley died December 5, 1703. [Encyclopedia of Virginia Biography, Under the Editorial Supervision of Lyon Gardiner Tyler, 1915 - Transcribed by FOFG]
Copyright © Genealogy Trails