Isle of Wight County, Virginia
One of the original 8 shires created in 1634, it was named Warrosquyoake Shire.
In 1637, it was renamed Isle of Wight County, after the island off the south coast of England of the same name.
St. Luke's Church, built in 1632, is the nation's only original Gothic church and the oldest existing church of English foundation.
It was designated a National Historic Landmark in recognition of its significance.
In 1732 a considerable portion of the northwestern part of the original shire was added to Brunswick County; and in 1748 the entire county of Southampton was carved out of it. The county is bounded by the James River on the north and the Blackwater River to the south.
Smithfield * Windsor
UNINCORPORATED COMMUNITIES & TOWNS
Battery Park - Benns Church - Burwell's Bay - Carrolltown - Carrsville - Central Hill
Indika - Isle of Wight - Lawson - Mogart's Beach - Raynor
Rescue - Rushmere - Stott - Walters - Wills Corner - Zuni