Armistead, Cary Peyton
Born in Williamsburg, Virginia, in 1857, is n son of Robert H. Armistead, who was born in Elizabeth City County, Virginia, near Hampton, April 12, 1804, and died near Williamsburg, October 22, 1888. The mot her of Cary Peyton, born near Jamestown, now many years dead, was Julia 8. Travis before marriage! His wife was Eudora Esther, daughter of D. R. and Mary E. A. (Tinsley) Jones, of Hanover County, Virginia, where she was born. They were married in Williamsburg, in August, 1888. Mr. Armistead attended school in Williamsburg, first to his aunt, Mrs. Southall, second to Dr. Griffin, third the Grammar and Matty school; then took the collegiate course at William and Mary College, where he graduated in June, 1876. He taught in the Grammar and Matty school for a time, and then studied law at the University of Virginia. Admitted to the Bar he was in practice a short time, until he gave that up to accept his present office, May 4,1884, as steward and treasurer of the Eastern Lunatic Asylum. He has been a notary public for the last eight years; is a member of the M. E. Church, South. Mr. Armistead had two brothers in the Confederate States Army, Robert T., served through the war and was twice wounded; Wm. Champion, died soon after entering service. [Source: Virginia and Virginians: History of Volume 2; by Robert Alonzo Brock, Virgil Anson Lewis; publ. 1888; Residents of James City County Pgs. 694 to 702; Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack]
colonial governor, was born in 1718 in England. In 1768-70 he was colonial governor of Virginia. His death was hastened by chagrin at the failure of his efforts to effect a reconciliation between the colonists and the mother country. He died Oct. 15, 1770, in Williamsburg, Va. [Herringshaw's National Library of American Biography: Contains Thirty-five Thousand Biographies of the Acknowledged Leaders of Life and Thought of the United States, by William Herringshaw, 1909 - Transcribed by FOFG]
Clergyman, college president, author, was born in 1656 in Lancaster, S.C. He was an episcopal clergyman of Virginia; and founded William and Mary college, of which he was president for fifty years. He was the author of The State of His Majesty's Colony in Virginia; and Our Savior's Divine Sermon on the Mount, a series of sermons. He died Aug. 1, 1743, in Williamsburg, Va. [Herringshaw's National Library of American Biography: Contains Thirty-five Thousand Biographies of the Acknowledged Leaders of Life and Thought of the United States, by William Herringshaw, 1909 - Transcribed by AFOFG]
Colonial governor, was born in 1689 in Williamsburg, Va.; and was a nephew of President James Blair. As early as 1736 he was a member of the House of Burgesses; and he was president of the council. In 1757-58 he was acting governor; and in 1767-68 he was colonial governor of Virginia. He died Nov. 5, 1771, in Williamsburg, Va. [Herringshaw's National Library of American Biography: Contains Thirty-five Thousand Biographies of the Acknowledged Leaders of Life and Thought of the United States, by William Herringshaw, 1909 - Transcribed by FOFG]
A Delegate from Virginia; born in Orange county, Va., May 6, 1710; completed preparatory studies and was graduated from William and Mary college and the University of Edinburgh; member of the Virginia house of burgesses 1745 to 1775; was known as "the Virginia Antiquary;" took a leading part in the Revolution; sat in the Continental Congress 1774-1775; again chosen, but declined to serve; member of the Virginia committee of correspondence, 1773; member of the revolutionary conventions of 1775 and 1776; died in Williamsburg, Va., October 28, 1776. [A Biographical Congressional Directory of the 1st 1774 to the 62nd 1911 Congress; By United States Congress; Publ. 1918; Donated and Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack.]
Bowden, George Edwin
(1852-1908), (nephew of Lemuel Jackson Bowden), a Representative from Virginia; born in Williamsburg, James City County, Va., July 6, 1852; attended a private school; studied law; was admitted to the bar but never practiced; engaged in banking; collector of customs for the port of Norfolk from September 1879 until May 1885; elected as a Republican to the Fiftieth and Fifty-first Congresses (March 4, 1887-March 3, 1891); unsuccessful candidate for reelection in 1890 to the Fifty-second Congress; again collector of customs for the port of Norfolk; clerk of the United States Court for the Eastern District of Virginia from March 10, 1899, until his death in Norfolk, Va., January 22, 1908; interment in Elmwood Cemetery. (Source: Biographical Directory of the US Congress 1774-Present. Submitted by Linda Rodriguez)
Bowden Lemuel Jackson
Senate Years of Service: 1863-1864
BOWDEN, Lemuel Jackson (1815-1864), (uncle of George Edwin Bowden), a Senator from Virginia; born in Williamsburg, James City County, Va., January 16, 1815; graduated from William and Mary College, Williamsburg, Va.; studied law; was admitted to the bar in 1838 and commenced practice in Williamsburg; member, State house of delegates 1841-1846; delegate to the Virginia constitutional conventions in 1849 and 1851; elected as a Republican to the United States Senate and served from March 4, 1863, until his death in Washington, D.C., on January 2, 1864; interment in Congressional Cemetery. (Source: Biographical Directory of the US Congress 1774-Present. Submitted by Linda Rodriguez)
Storekeeper for the Eastern Lunatic Asylum, at Williamsburg, was born at Williamsburg, in 1856. His father, Archie Brooks born in Williamsburg, served in the late war, C. S. A., died in March, 1888, aged fifty-six years. His mother, whose maiden name was Margarette L. Mahone, still lives in Williamsburg. He was married in Williamsburg, August 23, 1881, his wife, born in James City County, Virginia, being Lucy R., daughter of Parke and Martha J. (Menley) Jones, residents of that county. They have four children: Beulah, Edna Lorene, Archie and Lucy R.. Mr. Brooks attended school in Williamsburg, after that was a student at William and Mary College three years. He has held his present position since 1884. [Source: Virginia and Virginians: History of Volume 2; by Robert Alonzo Brock, Virgil Anson Lewis; publ. 1888; Residents of James City County Pgs. 694 to 702; Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack]
Clopton, John, M. D.
John, son of William Edmund Clopton, and grandson of Hon. John Clopton, of New Kent county, Virginia, was born in Richmond, Virginia, January 6, 1835. His mother's maiden name was Mary A. Aperson. He married, at James City, Virginia. July 6, 1870, Willie S. Piggott, who was born at James City, and is a daughter of Fielding and Eliza H. Piggott. Their children are five, horn in the order named: John Fielding, William Edmund, Martha A., Mary E., and George Izard. Dr. Clopton attended school in Stewart County, Tennessee, and New Kent, Virginia. He graduated in medicine at the Virginia Medical College on March 9, 1857, and practiced until the beginning of the war in Caroline county, Virginia, New Kent and Richmond. In 1861 he entered service, Company F, Richmond volunteers, and was soon after appointed assistant surgeon, 1st Texas Infantry. Later he was assigned as surgeon to the 16th Georgia regiment. He was appointed medical purveyor of Longstreet's Corps, so serving until after the battle of the Wilderness. Then he was appointed post purveyor at Petersburg, Virginia, then purveyor of North Carolina until the close of the war. Returning to Richmond, he engaged in practice there until, in 1868, he was appointed, by the Federal Government, assistant physician at the Eastern Lunatic Asylum, Williamsburg. He filled that position until the election of Governor Cameron, after which he practiced in Charles City County, until 1884, and then returned to the Asylum, resuming the duties of Assistant Physician, in which he still continues. Dr. Clopton is a member of the Masonic fraternity. [Source: Virginia and Virginians: History of Volume 2; by Robert Alonzo Brock, Virgil Anson Lewis; publ. 1888; Residents of James City County Pgs. 694 to 702; Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack]
A Senator from Texas; born in Williamsburg, Va., March 13, 1829; was graduated from William and Mary college in 1849; studied law and was admitted to the bar in 1850; moved in 1850 to Waco, McLennan county, Tex., and practiced his profession; served in the Confederate army as private and afterwards as captain; appointed district judge in June, 1865; elected judge of the state supreme court in 1866; after serving one year was removed by Gen. Sheridan as "an impediment to reconstruction;" resumed the practice of law; elected governor in December, 1873, reelected in February, 1876;resigned December 1, 1877;elected to the United States Senate as a Democrat in 1877; reelected in 1883, and in 1889, and served from March 4, 1877, to March 3, 1895; died in Waco, Tex., May 14, 1897. [A Biographical Congressional Directory of the 1st 1774 to the 62nd 1911 Congress; By United States Congress; Publ. 1918; Donated and Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack.]
Coke, Richard, Jr.
A Representative from Virginia; born in Williamsburg, Va., about 1804; completed preparatory studies; was graduated from Williams and Mary college; studied law; was admitted to the bar, and commenced practice in Gloucester county, Va.; elected as a Jackson Democrat to the Twenty-first and Twenty-second Congresses (March 4, 1829-March 3, 1833); died on his estate, "Abingdon," in Gloucester county, Va., March 30, 1851. [A Biographical Congressional Directory of the 1st 1774 to the 62nd 1911 Congress; By United States Congress; Publ. 1918; Donated and Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack.]
Constable, Woodie C.
Born in Norfolk, Virginia, is a son of Andrew T. Constable, now deceased, and a grandson of Jacob Constable. His mother, who is of the Armistead family, is now living in Williamsburg. His wife, whom he married in Norfolk, on January 8, 1888, is Rosa P., daughter of John R. and Fannie C. Powell, now of Norfolk. She was born in Bertie County, North Carolina. Mr. Powell was in service in the Confederate States Army, rank of lieutenant, and was wounded and made prisoner, and held at Governors Island, New York Harbor. Mr. Constable attended school at the Hampton Military Academy, and then took a collegiate course at the William and Mary College. After finishing his education he engaged for a time in farming, then in mercantile pursuits. He has a commission business now in Williamsburg, and is superintendent of the public schools of that city. He has also served in the city council, and filled the office of justice of the peace. He is a member of the Heptosophs society; of the Knights of the Golden Rule; and a Good Templar. [Source: Virginia and Virginians: History of Volume 2; by Robert Alonzo Brock, Virgil Anson Lewis; publ. 1888; Residents of James City County Pgs. 694 to 702; Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack]
Is a son of Allen Davis, who died in 1863, and Mary (Mahone) Davis, who died in 1843. He was born in Williamsburg, on March 22, 1837, and has been twice married. His first wife, who died May 9,1873, at age twenty-one years, was Celia E. Perrin, and their children were two: Martin P., now deceased; Genevra P.. In Williamsburg, in January 1876, Mr. Davis married Virginia R. Russell, who was born in Bath, Maine, and they have four children: Allen R., Ruth T., Ray M. and John R. Mr. Davis went to school in Williamsburg for ten years, and then began a mercantile business in that city, which he followed until 1859. In that year he went to Richmond, and there engaged in a wholesale grocery business, which he continued until the war. After the war he returned to Williamsburg, and again entered into business there, in which he still continues. He is now president of the school board of Williamsburg. [Source: Virginia and Virginians: History of Volume 2; by Robert Alonzo Brock, Virgil Anson Lewis; publ. 1888; Residents of James City County Pgs. 694 to 702; Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack]
Born in England about 1714, son of Adam Hallam, actor and was, like his father, an actor by profession.
He was sent by his brother, William Hallam, manager of the new theatre in Good-manfields, London, to conduct the first company of English professionals to America.
They arrived at Yorktown, Virginia, in 1752, and gave their first performance in Williamsburg, then the capital of the colony, hiring a large wooden structure erected for a theatre by another company from New York. Their opening performance was "The Merchant of Venice," and the music was furnished by a single player on the harpsichord. They remained in Virginia about eleven months, playing at different places, and then went to Annapolis and Philadelphia, and in 1754 performed in New York.
Two years later they went to the British West Indies, and in that year Lewis Hallam died in Jamaica.
His wife, who was an actress at the Goodmanfields Theatre, was born in London, and after the death of Mr. Hallam married David Douglas, his successor in the management. She retired from the stage in 1769 and died in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, in 1773.
Lewis Hallam's son, Lewis, made his first appearance on the stage in Williamsburg at the time of his father's first coming to this country. He was a boy of twelve years of age, and, having only one line to say, was so frightened that he remained speechless until bursting into tears he rushed off the stage. Nineteen years later he came again to Williamsburg and was at his best. His main support was his cousin, the beautiful Miss Sarah Hallam, whose portrait in her role of "Imogene" had been painted by Charles Wilson Peale. [Source: Encyclopedia of Virginia Biography, vol. 2; by Lyon Gardiner Tyler; pub 1915; Submitted by: Frances Cooley
Henley, Leonard, M. D.
Dr. Henley was born in Williamsburg, April 11, 1821 and has always lived in that city. He was educated at William and Mary College, and graduated in medicine at the University of Pennsylvania in 1847. After that he practiced in Blockley Hospital for seven years, then came to Williamsburg where he has been in practice ever since, except when in military service.
He entered the Confederate States army in 1861, sergeant in the 32nd Virginia regiment, and in the same year was appointed assistant surgeon, serving after that most of the time in hospital at Petersburg, Virginia. In 1865 he was appointed superintendent of the Eastern Lunatic Asylum, where he remained until the Federals took possession. In 1887 he was appointed assistant physician at the Asylum and is so serving now.
He is a son of Leonard Henley, who was born in James City county, Virginia, and died in 1831; aged forty-two years and Harriet T. (Coke) Henley, also now deceased. The paternal grandfather of Dr. Henley was also named Leonard and his great-grandfather bore the same name. The latter came from England to Virginia. The wife of Dr. Henley is Rebecca, daughter of Henry Harrison, Commodore United States Navy, and Elizabeth (Ruffin) Cocke, both now deceased. She was born in Prince George county, Virginia, and they were married in that county on. November 29,1855. They have one daughter, Elizabeth, and one son, Leonard. Dr. Henley is a member of the Masonic fraternity.
Dr. Leonard Henley is a direct descendant of the old and honored family of Cokes, of Trusley, Derbyshire, England, which estate is now in their possession. The family history goes back to 1343. Among the representatives of this family were Lord Chesterfield; Lord Palmerston, Premier; Lord Melbourne, Premier; Lord Cowper, late of Ireland. [Source: Virginia and Virginians: History of Volume 2; by Robert Alonzo Brock, Virgil Anson Lewis; publ. 1888; Residents of James City County Pgs. 694 to 702; Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack]
Jones, H. T.
Was born in James City county, Virginia, on April 1842. He attended a private school in Williamsburg, and then took a collegiate course at William and Mary College. On his nineteenth birthday, April 1851, he entered military service, in a company which later became Company C, 32nd Virginia Infantry. He was promoted sergeant in 1862, second lieutenant in 1863, and served until the surrender at Appomattox, taking part in battles of Seven Pines, the seven days fighting around Richmond, Harpers Ferry, Sharpsburg, and Fredericksburg, Cold Harbor Howlett Line, Sailor's Creek and others.
Returning home he engaged in farming until 1872, then established himself in his present business, druggist. He has held public office as member of the city council, justice of the peace and school trustee. The parents of Mr. Jones were H. T. Jones, sr., who was born in James City county, in 1814, and died May 12,1872, and Mary A. H. Jones, died in January, 1881. The father was a son of Allan Jones, of York county, Virginia, whose father was Daniel Jones, of James City county, Virginia.
The subject of this sketch married in Williamsburg, June 10, 1867, Mary Southall, of Williamsburg. Their children are two sons, Marion Ambler and Hugh W. Mrs. Jones is the daughter of Albert G. Southall, who died August, 1862. Her mother, whose maiden name was Virginia F. Travis, died in August, 1880. Her family are of English descent, early settlers in Tidewater Virginia. [Source: Virginia and Virginians: History of Volume 2; by Robert Alonzo Brock, Virgil Anson Lewis; publ. 1888; Residents of James City County Pgs. 694 to 702; Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack]
Lane, Leven W.
Was born in Matthew's County, Virginia, January 6, 1839, and was educated in his native county. He is a son of John H. Lane, who was born in Matthews's county, and died in 1884, and Nancy (Ransome) Lane, who died in 1843. His wife is Mattie S., daughter of William L. Spencer, now deceased, and Martha G. (Richardson) Spencer. She was born in James City county, Virginia, and they were married in that county, on July 26, 1860. Their children were born in the order named: L. W., Martha L., Carrie D., Cora, Mary G., Susie (now deceased), Mattie (now deceased), Oscar, Henry Q. (now deceased), Spencer, Walter G. Mr. Lane has been a farmer and merchant all his life and is still engaged in those avocations. He has served as county treasurer and as sheriff. He entered the Confederate States Army at the beginning of the war, and served until its close. Entering service as u private in Company H, 5th Virginia Cavalry, he was promoted second lieutenant, then captain of that company; was wounded at Kelley's Ford, again at Cedar Creek; was made prisoner at Hanover C. H., but paroled same day. [Source: Virginia and Virginians: History of Volume 2; by Robert Alonzo Brock, Virgil Anson Lewis; publ. 1888; Residents of James City County Pgs. 694 to 702; Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack]
Was the son of Thomas Ludwell, of Bruton, in Somersetshire, England, who was church warden of the parish in 1636, and steward of Sexey Hospital in Bruton. Thomas Ludwell died at Discoe, in the parish of Bruton, and was buried July 7, 1637. Philip Ludwell's mother was Jane Cottington, a relative of Sir William Berkeley, and only daughter of James Cottington, of Discoe, a brother of Philip, Lord Cottington. Philip Ludwell, who belonged to a royalist family, was born about 1638, and probably came to Virginia about 1660 to join his brother Thomas, who was then secretary of state. He was captain of the James City County militia in 1667, and on March 5, 1675, took the oath as a councillor of state. During the absence of his brother Thomas in London, at this time, he was acting secretary of state for two years (1675-1677). During Bacon's rebellion (1676) he was one of the most efficient supporters of Gov. Berkeley. He showed distinguished courage and discretion in capturing an expedition under Giles Bland sent to Northampton County to siege the governor. After Berkeley's death, in 1677, Ludwell married his widow and became the head of the "Green Spring Faction," as it was called, comprised of friends of the late governor. From being the supporters of government Ludwell and Beverley became the champions of the rights of the general assembly and the people. Gov. Jeffreys had Ludwell excluded from the council. Jeffreys died and Lord Thomas Culpeper came over to Virginia in 1681. He was a cousin of Ludwell's wife, Lady Berkeley, whose maiden name was Frances Culpeper, and at the request of the whole council he restored Ludwell to his seat in that body. When Lord Howard, of Effingham, came as governor to Virginia in 1686 he tried to increase the power of the executive and instituted a fee for the use of the state seal to land grants. He was opposed by Ludwell and the fee was ordered to be discontinued, but he again lost his place in council. The dismissal only served to increase Ludwell's popularity, and the assembly sent him to England as their agent to petition for relief. While he was in attendance at the privy council King William came to the throne and Ludwell was successful in obtaining a favorable decision on most of the questions involved. He was again restored to the council and on May 7, 1691, the house of burgesses voted him the public thanks and presented him with £250. Before this, on Dec. 5, 1689, the lords proprietors of Carolina appointed him governor of North Carolina, and in 1693 of both North and South Carolina. He held office till 1694, when, tired of the quarrels of that turbulent country, he resigned. He continued in the council in Virginia and in 1690-92 was agent for the Culpepers in the Northern Neck. In 1693 ne was one of the first board of visitors of William and Mary College. He heired from his brother Thomas, "Rich Neck," near Williamsburg, but his chief residence was at "Green Spring," which he obtained by his marriage with Lady Berkeley. About 1700, leaving his estates in the hands of his son Philip, he went to England, where he was living as late as 1711. Col. Philip Ludwell married, in or before 1667 (first) Lucy, widow of Col. William Bernard, and before that of Maj. Lewis Burwell, and daughter of Capt. Robert Higginson; (second) Lady Frances (Culpeper) Berkeley. His son Philip (by his first marriage) and his grandson Philip were both members of the council. [Encyclopedia of Virginia Biography, Under the Editorial Supervision of Lyon Gardiner Tyler, 1915 - Transcribed by FOFG]
Marshall, James Markham
A lineal descendant of John Marshall, of the "Forest." and of James Markham Marshall, the revolutionary officer, James Markham Marshall, of Front Royal, four times elected sheriff of Warren county, and now in office, bears one of the most honored of Virginia names.
While tradition is the only authority for claiming descent for the Marshall family from William C. Mareschal who came to England with William the Conqueror, there is abundant proof of an ancestry, dating to 1558. In that year Captain John Marshall distinguished himself and was severely wounded at the fall of Calais. From him descended Captain John Marshall, who fought at Edgehill in the reign of Charles I. and in 1650 came to Virginia, settling first at Jamestown, then moving to Westmoreland County, where he fought with valor in the Indian wars. His son Thomas died in 1704, the father of John known as John Marshall, of the "Forest." Captain John Marshall, of the "Forest," was born in Westmoreland County, Virginia, about 1700, and died in April, 1752. He was a farmer, owner of twelve hundred acres on Appomattox creek, in Washington parish, a captain of militia, a man of reputation and influence. He married Elizabeth Markham, born about 1704, and died in Fauquier County, Virginia, in 1775, daughter of John Markham. Tradition has run the gamut in locating this Markham. He has been described as peer, pirate, and the buccaneer Blackbeard, but all the authorities agree that he was a handsome, dashing and fascinating gentleman and a daring, cruel and adroit villain. The will of Captain John Marshall, of the "Forest" was probated May 26, 1752, his wife, and sons, Thomas and John, being charged with executing its provisions.
Colonel Thomas Marshall, son of Captain John Marshall, of" the "Forest," was born in Washington parish, Westmoreland County, Virginia, April 2, 1730, and died in Washington, Mason County, Kentucky, June 22, 1802. The friendship that existed between Colonel Marshall and Chief Justice Washington began when they were schoolmates at school, taught by Rev. Archibald Campbell, rector of Washington parish. They both learned and practiced surveying together, and for their services received several thousand acres of wild land in Henry County, now West Virginia. Colonel Marshall was a lieutenant of volunteers during the French and Indian war, but was not at Braddock's defeat, having been left behind to build "Fort Necessity." After the death of his father in 1752 the Marshalls moved to near Germantown, Fauquier County, Virginia, where Thomas was superintendent of the immense estate of Lord Fairfax. In 1765 he bought three hundred and fifty acres on Goose creek, lived there until 1773 when he sold it and purchased "Oak Hill," mentioned in his will as "The Oaks." When the war broke out he joined in forming the Culpeper minute-men and when a regiment was formed, was made major. He fought at "Great Bridge," the first battle of the revolution, fought on Virginia soil, was at Valley Forge, and after the death of General Mercer at the battle of Germantown, succeeded to the command of the Third Virginia Regiment, and has been credited with saving the patriot army from destruction. For his gallant service, the Virginia House of Burgesses presented him with a sword that is yet preserved in the Maysville, Kentucky, Historical Society. In 1799 Colonel Marshall with the Third Virginia Regiment was sent to reinforce General Lincoln in South Carolina. He joined Lincoln just in time to be shut up with him in Charleston, and to share in the surrender of that city to the British. After being paroled, Colonel Marshall with other officers visited Kentucky in 1780, journeying the entire distance on horseback, through the wilderness. On that trip he located his beautiful farm "Buckpond," near Versailles.
About that time he was appointed surveyor-general of the lands in Kentucky, apportioned to the officers and soldiers of the Virginia state line. The territory first known as the county of Kentucky was on November 1, 1781, divided into three counties, Fayette, Lincoln and Jefferson, Colonel Marshall being appointed surveyor of Fayette County. In 1783 he purchased lands, and in 1785 returned to Virginia for his family. In 1787 he represented Fayette County in the Virginia legislature, and in 1788 was elected as delegate to the state constitutional convention. He was a zealous Federalist and held the office of United States collector of revenue. He resided at his fine farm, "Buckpond," Kentucky, until 1800, then gave "Buckpond" to his youngest son Louis and went to live with his son Thomas at Washington, Mason County, Kentucky, where he died June 22, 1802. By will he divided his immense landed estate among his children and grandchildren.
Colonel Marshall married, in 1754, in Fauquier County. Virginia, Mary, daughter of Rev. James and Mary Isham (Randolph) Keith, a descendant of Robert Keith, of an old and noble Scottish family. James Markham Marshall, son of Colonel Thomas Marshall, was born in Fauquier County, Virginia. March 12, 1764, and died at "Fairfield." same county, April 26, 1848. Like his brothers he was educated at home under the instruction of his father, sisters and tutors. When but a youth he was commissioned lieutenant in Alexander Hamilton's regiment, and participated in the final victory at Yorktown. He accompanied his father to Kentucky, but returned to Virginia in 1795 and married Hester, daughter of Robert Morris, the financier of the revolution. He was sent to France as an agent oi the government, to negotiate the release of Lafayette, then held a prisoner of Austria, and while in Paris witnessed the outrages of the Reign of Terror. While in England he purchased of the heirs of Lord Fairfax all their lands in what was called the Northern Neck of Virginia. This purchase was made in his own name, that of his brother, John Marshall (Chief Justice), Rawleigh Colston and Harry Lee ("Light Horse"). But the state of Virginia set up title to the lands by confiscation and a compromise was effected whereby the company received all the Fairfax lands in Leeds Manor and other smaller tracts. Their portion embraced about 180,000 acres and cost less than one dollar per acre. James Markham Marshall purchased the share of Harry Lee. Mr. Colston took lands on the Potomac, leaving all the unsold lands in Leeds Manor for John and James M. Marshall. There they formed the community around Markham, Fauquier County; were Democrats in politics; Episcopalians in religious faith, and became a most religious and prosperous community. James M. Marshall, having a double portion, became a very large landed proprietor and left large estates to his children, much of this land yet remaining in the family name.
He studied law, practicing in Winchester, and becoming eminent in his profession. He was a strong Federalist, and was one of the "Midnight Judges" appointed by President John Adams on the last night of his administration, but quickly legislated out of office by the incoming Democratic Congress. He later left Winchester and built a costly mansion on his Happy Creek estate. About 1816 he yielded possession of his magnificent estate to his eldest son, Robert M., and retired to Fairfield, where he died. He was a handsome and dignified old gentleman, six feet two inches tall, weighed about two hundred pounds, and wore the correct dress of a gentleman of his period, cue, stockings and knee buckles. The massive baronial castle with two thousand acres of land is yet owned by his descendants. His wife, Hester (Morris) Marshall, is said to have been a lovely woman. She was a daughter of Robert Morris, the Philadelphia financier and patriot, and his wife, Mary (White) Morris, daughter of Colonel Thomas White, the first lawfully consecrated bishop of the American Episcopal Church.
Robert Morris Marshall, eldest son of James Markham and Hester (Morris) Marshall, was born on a United States vessel off the coast of England, January 20, 1797, and died at Happy Creek, Warren County, Virginia, February 10, 1870. He was a graduate of Yale College and a gentleman of superior literary attainments. He resided for several years at "Mount Morris," Fauquier County, then became owner of the Happy Creek estate, which as the eldest son was bestowed upon him by his generous father. He spent the remainder of his life at the beautiful Happy Creek castle and estate, the genial, hospitable, high-minded Virginia gentleman. He was a Whig in politics, opposed secession, but when his state withdrew, threw his whole soul into the cause. He was too old to enlist, but sent four of his sons into the Confederate army, the only other son being in India. He was a devout churchman, as was his wife, both leading consistent Christian lives. He married, January 20, 1819, his cousin, Lucy Marshall, born August 15, 1796, and died December 24, 1844, daughter of Charles and Lucy (Pickett) Marshall, granddaughter of Colonel Thomas Marshall, and greatgranddaughter of John Marshall, of the "Forest."
Captain James Marshall, eldest son of Robert Morris and Lucy (Marshall) Marshall, was born at the Happy Creek Mansion. Warren County, Virginia, March 9, 1826, and died in 1904. He was educated under private tutors, entered Virginia Military Institute, and was there graduated with the class of 1842. He prepared for the profession of law, but found farming more to his taste. Later he opened an academy at Front Royal and was conducting it in 1861, when war was declared between the states. He enlisted in Captain Bowen's company, Seventh Virginia Cavalry, and as first lieutenant served under McDonald and Ashby. In 1862 he himself raised Company E. Twelfth Virginia Cavalry, serving as captain, under Jones and Rosser, being twice slightly wounded. After the war he engaged in farming for a few years, then resumed his school in Front Royal, but in 1876-removed to Florida. There his health failed and in 1878 he returned, taught school, and cultivated his farm, "Horseshoe." on the Shenandoah, seven miles from Front Royal. He was a member of the Episcopal Church; a Democrat in politics; and a high-minded Christian gentleman.
Captain Marshall married, March 18, 1846, his cousin, Lucy Steptoe Marshall, born at "Belle Grove," Fleming County, Kentucky, March 12. 1824. her death occurring several years before that of her husband, daughter of Charles Coatsworth and Judith Steptoe (Ball) Marshall, granddaughter of Charles and Lucy (Pickett) Marshall, great-granddaughter of Colonel Thomas Marshall, and great-great-granddaughter of John Marshall, of the "Forest." Her twin brothers, Charles and William Marshall, were both soldiers of the Confederacy. Captain James Marshall had three brothers in the Confederate army: Charles : Lieutenant Thomas, Company E, Twelfth Regiment Virginia Cavalry, killed at the battle of Brandy Station, and Martin P.; his remaining brother, Robert, was a civil engineer in the British government service in India. Captain Marshall's sisters were: Hester M.; Lucy P., married Dr. Robert Morris, of Philadelphia; Mary M. and Anna Maria. Children of Captain James and Lucy Steptoe (Marshall) Marshall: James Markham, of whom forward; Charles C, of Alexandria. Virginia; Robert Morris, a farmer of Warren county, Virginia; Lucy Pickett, Judith Ball, Hester Morris, Mary Morris. Susan Betts, Ann Maria.
James Markham Marshall, son of Captain James and Lucy Steptoe (Marshall) Marshall, was born in Warren County, Virginia, January 23, 1857. He was educated in public schools, and most of his life has been engaged in farming in his native county, varying this in early life by a term in railroad employ. He was elected sheriff of Warren County, in 1899, and has been continuously in that office until the present time, his administration of the sheriff's office having been endorsed by his fellow citizens by three reelections. He inherits the Marshall qualities of courage, integrity and intellect, but the stirring times that developed the warlike nature of his honored father and ancestors have forever passed away, it is hoped, and the gentler arts of peace have claimed his energy. He is a Democrat in politics, and in religious faith adheres to the old Marshall family religion, the Protestant Episcopal.
Mr. Marshall married (first) Laura, deceased, daughter of Philip Sheaff. He married (second) Mary, daughter of Captain Elliott De Jarnette. a war officer in the Confederate army, who was wounded in battle. Children of second marriage: Elliott De Jarnette. born in Front Royal, Virginia, March 6. 1905; Mary Morris, born September 5, 1906; Evelyn McGruder, born September 11. 1908. Since leaving the farm for the responsibilities of public office, the family home has been in Front Royal. [Encyclopedia of Virginia Biography, Under The Editorial Supervision of Lyon Gardiner Tyler, 1915 - Transcribed by FOFG]
Mercer, John Leyborne
Hugh Mercer, of Scotland, came to America in colonial days. He entered the Continental army in the war for Independence, received rank of general, and was killed in that war, battle of Princeton, New Jersey. His son, Colonel Hugh Mercer, was the father of John C. Mercer, who was born in Fredericksburg, Virginia, and died in March, 1884, aged seventy-two years. John C. Mercer married Mary Waller, who survives him, living now in North Carolina. Their son, John 1-ieybourne Mercer, was born in Williamsburg, Virginia, August 2, 1849. He went to school to various teachers in Williamsburg about five years, then attended William and Mary College two sessions. After that clerked in mercantile establishments until 1868, when he was appointed to his present position, which he has held ever since except for two years from March, 1882 to March, 1884. He is clerk and steward of the Eastern Lunatic Asylum, Williamsburg. He married at Williamsburg, March 31, 1875, Jean Sinclair Bright. They have two daughters, Jean C., Mary W., and one son, T. Hugh Mercer. Mrs. Mercer was born in Williamsburg, and is a daughter of Samuel F. and Elizabeth Bright. Her father died in 1868, her mother in 1872.
Mr. Mercer had two brothers in the Confederate States army, Thomas I high Mercer, first lieutenant in artillery, severely wounded at Seven Pines, and C. W. Mercer, a private in Col. Mosby's command, captured and held prisoner at Fort Delaware fourteen months. Mr. Mercer is a member of Williamsburg Lodge, No. 6, A. F. & A. M. [Source: Virginia and Virginians: History of Volume 2; by Robert Alonzo Brock, Virgil Anson Lewis; publ. 1888; Residents of James City County Pgs. 694 to 702; Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack]
Moncure, James D., M.D.
Present superintendent of the Eastern Lunatic Asylum, Williamsburg, was born in Richmond, Virginia, in 1842. After attending the Abbott school, in Fauquier county, Virginia, he was sent abroad, and studied at Bernhardt's Austallt, Meiningen, Germany; College Rollin, Paris, France; the Heidelberg University, Germany, where he began his medical Studies. Returning to Virginia, he entered the Virginia Military Institute, where he was at the breaking out of the war between the States.
He served through the war, first in the corps of cadets, as drill master at Camp Lee; then in the field in a Virginia cavalry regiment. Resuming his medical studies, he attended the University of Virginia and the University of Maryland, graduating from the latter. He practiced medicine in Baltimore; in Fauquier county, Virginia; in Richmond; in Huntington: again in Richmond. A profound student of the great profession to which he devotes his life, Dr. Moncure has made a special study of mental and nervous diseases.
He has filled the chair of adjunct professor at the Medical College of Virginia; he founded, in 1876, the "Pinel Hospital" near Richmond, and was its first superintendent; in 1884 was elected to his present position, which he has filled continuously since that time. He has received from the College de France degree of Bachelier es Lettres et es Science; is a member of the Medico Legal Society, and chairman of its Committee on Naturalization for Virginia.
At St. Paul's (Episcopal) Church, Richmond, Virginia, October 11, 1871, Dr. Moncure married Annie Patterson McCaw, of Richmond. Their living children are three: Gabriella Brooke, James Dunlap, William Anderson Patterson and they have buried three: Richard Cary Ambler, died in 1873, aged ten days; Delia Ann, died in 1876, aged eight months; James Dunlap, died in 1878, aged a few hours.
The genealogy of Dr. Moncure's family in America is thus traced: Gerard Fowlke (or Ffolk) of Gunston Hall, England, settled near Port Tobacco, Maryland, in Ohio. His daughter Frances married Dr. Gustavus Brown, and their daughter Frances married, in 1738, Rev. John Moncure. The latter came to America, in 1710, as a physician, then became a minister of the Episcopal Church. The name Moncure was originally Moncoeur, changed in Scotland to Moncur and Monkur, later in America to Moncure. William, son of Rev. John Moncure and wife, married Sarah Elizabeth Henry. Their son, Henry Wood Moncure, was born in Richmond, and died in 1866, aged sixty-six years. He married Katharine Cary Ambler, and Dr. James Dunlap Moncure is their son.
Annie Patterson, wife of Dr. Moncure, is a daughter of Dr. James Brown McCaw and his wife, Delia Ann, nee Patterson. Dr. McCaw is a son of Dr. William McCaw, who was a son of Dr. James Drew McCaw, whose father was Surgeon McCaw, of Lord Dunmore's staff. [Source: Virginia and Virginians: History of Volume 2; by Robert Alonzo Brock, Virgil Anson Lewis; publ. 1888; Residents of James City County Pgs. 694 to 702; Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack]
Nicholson, Sir Francis
Lieutenant-governor from May 16, 1690, to January, 1694, and from 1698 to April, 1705, was born in 1660; obtained a commission in the English army as ensign January 9, 1678, and as lieutenant May 6, 1684. He was a strong Tory and churchman. When in 1686 the whole body of colonies north of Chesapeake lay were formed into a single province under Sir Edmund Andros, Nicholson, was appointed lieutenant-governor, and remained at New York to represent his superior officer. When Andros was deposed by the men of Boston in 16S9. Nicholson's hot temper betrayed him into violent language and conduct, which induced a rebellion headed by Jacob Leisler. Nicholson left the colony for England, which temporarily increased the anarchic conditions in New York, though they ended in the execution of Jacob Leisler and several of his rebel associates. In spite of his failure, Nicholson was appointed lieutenant-governor of Virginia in 1690, and for four years discharged the duties of his new office with ability and entire credit to himself. He instituted athletic games and offered prizes to those who should excel in riding, running, shooting, wrestling and fencing. He did all he could to promote the founding of William and Mary College, and contributed largely from his own private means for that purpose. In 1694 Lord Howard of Effingham, the titular governor of Virginia, under whom Nicholson served as deputy, died, and that post was conferred upon Sir Edmund Andros, while Nicholson was appointed in January, 1694, governor of Maryland. Here he proved himself, as in Virginia, the patron of learning, and laid out Annapolis and established King William's school, now St. John's College. His arrogant disposition precipitated him into quarrels with the commissary Thomas Bray and other leading men, and in 1698 he returned to Virginia as governor. His second term of office opened auspiciously. He caused a general census of the colony to be made in respect to schools, churches, and population, and as the state house had been accidentally burned at Jamestown, persuaded the English government to transfer the seat of government to Middle Plantation, which he named Williamsburg in honor of the reigning king, William, formerly Prince of Orange. But his peppery temper soon involved him into difficulties with his council and with James Blair, president of the college. He also displeased the assembly by trying to get them to contribute towards a fort on the northwest frontier of New York. Displeased in turn at their unwillingness, he advised the crown that all the American colonies should be placed under one governor and a standing army be maintained among them at their own expense, believing it to be the only means of preserving an effective unity against Canada and the French. But this recommendation was not approved by Queen Ann and her ministers, and in April, 1705, he was recalled. During the next fifteen years such public services as he discharged were of a military character, and he headed two expeditions against Canada, but for want of a fleet the expeditions proved failures. In 1713 Nicholson was appointed governor of Acadia, but here again he met difficulties owing to his imperious temper. When in 1719 the privy council decided that the proprietors of South Carolina had forfeited their charter, Nicholson was appointed governor, and speedily restored order to that distracted province. Here Nicholson showed the best side of his character, promoted the building of schools and churches, and succeeded in conciliating the Cherokees. In June, 1725, Nicholson returned to England on leave, and does not seem again to have visited America. He had been knighted in 1720 and was promoted to lieutenant-general. He retained the colonial governorship of South Carolina until his death, which took place in London, March 5, 1728. He never married and by his will left all his lands and property in New England, Maryland and Virginia to the Society for the Propagation of Christianity in Foreign Parts, and to educate in England young New England ministers to be sent back to their native country. [Encyclopedia of Virginia Biography, Under The Editorial Supervision of Lyon Gardiner Tyler, 1915 - Transcribed byFOFG]
Edmund Randolph, in honor of whom Randolph Co., WV was named, was born at Williamsburg, Virginia. He was of distinguished lineage. He was the son of John Randolph, the Attorney-General of the colony, and the grandson of Sir John Randolph, who filled the same office and received the honor of knighthood for services to the Crown. His mother was Ariana, daughter of Edmund Jennings, Attorney-General of Maryland and Virginia. Educated at William and Mary College, Edmund Randolph entered on the profession of law. In 1775, he entered the Continental Army, for which he was disinherited by his father, who remained loyal to the Crown. By the Virginia Convention of 1776, he was appointed first Attorney-General of the Commonwealth, and in 1779, he was elected a member of the Continental Congress. In 1786, he became Governor of the State, and in 1787, was a member of the body which framed the Federal Constitution, and the next year a member of the Virginia Convention which ratified that compact. In 1790, he was appointed first Attorney-General of the United States, and in 1794, succeeded Jefferson as Secretary of State. In 1784, he was appointed Deputy Grand Master of the Grand Lodge of the Order of Ancient Free and Accepted Masons of Virginia, and in 1786, was elected Grand Master of the same. His name is masonically perpetuated in that of the Richmond Randolph Lodge, No. 19, chartered October 19, 1787. About the year 1754, David Tygart and a man named Files attempted a settlement within the present limits of the county. Files settled at the mouth of a creek that still bears his name. Tygart selected a spot a few miles farther up the river. The valley in which they settled has since been called Tygart's Valley, and the river which flows through it, Tygart's Valley River. They found it difficult to procure provisions for their families, and from their contiguity to an Indian villages, did not feel secure. They soon determined to retrace their steps. But before preparations for removal were completed, the family of Files, one son only escaping, were killed by the Indians. This son was near enough to his home to hear distinctly all that happened, and knowing he was utterly powerless to assist his friends there, fled in haste to warn Tygart's family of the danger that threatened them. The country was at once abandoned by them. [Source: History of West Virginia ; By Virgil Anson Lewis; publ. 1887; Pgs. 560-564; Transcribed and submitted by Andrea Stawski Pack]
John Randolph, "of Roanoke," as he used to write his own name, and distinguished for his genius and talents, as for his eccentricities, was born in Virginia, June 2, 1773. He was descended in a direct line from the celebrated Indian King Powhattan, and was ever proud of the Indian blood that flowed in his veins. At two years of age he lost his father, from which time forward he led a vagrant life, and reached his majority a wild, untamed, unlettered, and untutored youth. He spent a short time at Princeton College, part of a year at Columbia College, and a few months at William and Mary's College, winding up his educational career with some six month's residence in the law office of Edmund Randolph, in all of which places he says he never learned a thing. Such was the preparatory education of a man who afterward rose to the first position as a debater in the National Council. He was elected to Congress in 1799, and continued a Member of the House of Representatives most of the time, till 1829, and afterward was appointed Minister to Russia. He ever remained a bachelor; and his naturally unamiable temper often became intolerable through his excessively abusive language in debate. He provoked a duel with Henry Clay, but afterward became his best friend. No man was listened to with more attentive silence in the House or Senate than he. He never spoke, without commanding the most intense interest. At his first gesture or word, the House and galleries were hushed into silence and attention. His voice was shrill and pipe-like, but under perfect command; and, in its lower tones, it was music. His tall person, firm eyes, and peculiarly expressive fingers, assisted very much in giving effect to his delivery. His eloquence was generally exerted in satire and invective; but he never attempted pathos without entire success. In quickness of perception, accuracy of memory, liveliness of imagination, and sharpness of wit, he surpassed most men of his day; but his judgment was feeble, and rarely consulted. One of his most striking characteristics was, perhaps, his economy, which he rigidly practiced; and, both in public and private affairs, diligently inculcated. His inheritance was inconsiderable, and heavily incumbered with a British debt; but, by a long course of economy, he relieved his estate, and acquired wealth. With all his moroseness, Mr. Randolph was a kind master, a good neighbor, and a steadfast friend. At the time of his death, he was possessed of a large and valuable estate, on the Roanoke, and had three hundred and eighteen slaves and one hundred and eighty horses, one hundred and twenty of which were blood horses. He died at Philadelphia on the 24th day of May, 1834, in the sixty-first year of his age, while on his way to Europe, in hopes of a partial restoration to health. (Source: Biographies of 250 Distinguished National Men by Horatio Bateman. Published 1871 - Submitted by Linda Rodriguez)
First president of congress, was born at Williamsburg, Va., in 1721, the son of Sir John, and grandson of Col. William Randolph, who came to Virginia in 1674. He was educated at William and Mary College, read law at the Inner Temple, London, and in 1748 became a member of the house of burgesses and king's attorney for the province. In this office he presently came into collision with S. Davies, afterward president of the College of New Jersey. In 1754 he went to England to urge the objections of the burgesses against the fee sought to be exacted on each land-patent, and was partially successful; this brought him into some trouble with Gov. Dinwiddie. He led a company against the Indians after Braddock's defeat, was chairman of a committee to revise the laws of the province, and was a visitor of William and Man' College from 1758. As an examiner in law he signed Patrick Henry's license in 1760, saying that the applicant knew very little, but might learn later, being an able man. He framed the remonstrance of the burgesses against the proposed stamp act in 1764, and in its passage saw that he must take a side. In 1766 he was elected speaker, and gave up his post as royal attorney. Thence forth he was heartily with the patriots, and his high character, his cool judgment and his legal learning gave him great weight among them. He was a close friend of Washington; Jefferson in youth took him for a model. In 1773 he was chairman of the committee of correspondence, and in August, 1774, of the Virginia convention, which placed him at the head of its deputies to the Continental congress, where he was at once chosen president, in Carpenter's Hall, Philadelphia, Sept. 5th. Before this he called a meeting of citizens at Williamsburg, Aug. 10th, to ratify the acts of the recent convention and take other steps forward; for this the government put a mark against his name. He called and presided over another Virginia convention at Richmond, March 21, 1775. On Lord Dunmore's removal of the powder from the magazine at Williamsburg to an English vessel, Apr. 20th, he calmed the wrath of the people, prevented a riot, and exacted payment. He was again speaker of the house of burgesses in May, 1775, and after their session attended the second congress. His great-nephew, Peyton Randolph, born at Williamsburg, Va., in 1779, was a son of Edmund Randolph, and long clerk of the Virginia supreme court, whose "Reports" he published in six volumes, 1823-28. He died at Richmond in 1828. The subject of this sketch died of apoplexy in Philadelphia, Oct. 22, 1775, leaving no children. [Source: The National Cyclopaedia of American Biography, Volume 2; Publ. 1892, by James T. White & Co., N. Y.; Transcribed and submitted by Andrea Stawski Pack.]
Captain JOHN SMITH was born in England in the year 1579. Few men have exhibited such a love for the romance of life, and few have been more gratified in this respect than the brave and gallant John Smith. He exhibited this trait in early life, engaging in the most reckless and dangerous exploits.
At thirteen years of age he sold his school-books and satchel, to raise money to run away, it being his purpose to go to sea, but was afterwards apprenticed to a merchant. At fifteen he left his master, and went into France and the low countries. At seventeen he embarked once more to carve out his own fortune in company with some pilgrims to Italy. A violent storm arose, and Smith, being a "heretic," was deemed the cause of the misfortune, and was thrown overboard, but saved his life by swimming to the shore. After this, he entered the service of the Emperor of Austria, and so won his confidence as to get an important command. At the siege of St. Rugal he accepted the challenge of a Turkish Lord, and smote off his head, fighting on horseback. A second and third shared the same fate. He was finally taken prisoner, and sold into slavery, but escaped by slaying his master. After visiting Russia he returned to England, and immediately turned his attention to the colonization of North America Smith arrived on the coast of Virginia in 1607, with a small colony, and located on the left bank of the James River, about fifty miles from its mouth, and called it Jamestown. He was the leading spirit of the company; and, were it not for his sagacity and wisdom, they would have perished within a twelvemonth. The savages regarded him with awe and hatred - now compassing his life by every ingenious artifice, and now reverencing him as a god. All are familiar with the story of his capture by Powhattan, of his being led forth for execution, and his head laid upon a large stone to receive the fatal blow, when Pocahontas, the Chief's daughter, rushed in between the victim and the uplifted axe of the executioner, and, with tears and entreaties, besought her father to save his life. The savage Chief relented, and John Smith was set free. He explored the coast from Cape Cod to the Penobscot, while on one of his expeditions, and named it New England, which name it has ever since retained. He published several volumes of his adventures, and a map of the whole coast from the Penobscot to the James River, giving both the Indian and English names of the principal places. He was seriously injured by the premature explosion of a powder-flask, and returned to England for medical advice; but never recovered from its effects. After various adventures, he died in London in 1631, in the fifty-second year of his age. (Source: Biographies of 250 Distinguished National Men by Horatio Bateman. Published 1871 -Transcribed by Linda Rodriguez)
Alexander Spotswood arrived in 1710 as lieutenant-governor, and, being a man of great energy, bestowed much attention upon Williamsburg during his administration of twelve years. "Alexander Spotswood was great-grandson of John Spotswood, of Spotswood, Scotland, who in 1635 became archbishop of Glasgow, and one of the Privy Council. His grandfather, Sir Robert Spotswood, president of the Court of Sessions, was a distinguished author, and was executed by parliament January 17, 1746. His father, Dr. Robert Spotswood, married a widow, Catherine Elliott, who had by her first husband, a son, General Elliott, whose portrait is now in the State Library, at Richmond, Va. Alexander Spotswood, only child of Robert and Catherine Spotswood, was born in 1676 at Tangier, while his father was surgeon to the governor of the island. He fought under Marlborough, and served as quartermaster-general with the rank of colonel. He was dangerously wounded in the breast at the battle of Blenheim. He brought to Virginia a confirmation of the writ of habeas corpus; was removed from the governor's office in September, 1722; retired to his farm in Spotsylvania County, where he engaged in the manufacture of iron; in 1720 deputy postmaster-general of America; appointed in 1740 major-general of an expedition against Cartagena, but died before the embarkation, at Annapolis, June 7, 1740, where he was probably buried. He left descendants in Virginia. He caused several ugly ravines that ran across the main street to be filled up, and thus made one level way from college to capitol. He assisted in rebuilding the church, and provided some of the brick. He built a brick magazine for the safe-keeping of the public ammunition, and completed the governor's house, which Nott had begun. Finally, he assisted in rebuilding the college, and was a patron of the first American theatre erected in Williamsburg. In addition to these buildings, which were pronounced at the time, by Rev. Hugh Jones, as the best then in British America, there were also a few private houses of brick, which presented quite a handsome appearance, and were inhabited by some very good families, who nearly all had their coach, chariot, berlin, or chaise. The stores in town were furnished with the best provisions and liquors, and the ordinaries afforded good accommodations to travelers and visitors. However, the generality of the private buildings were very ordinary structures of timber, of a story and a half high, painted white, and they afforded a rather startling contrast to the "well-dressed, complete gentlemen and ladies" inhabiting them. We are told that, at the governor's house, on birth-nights, balls and assemblies, the scene presented was equal to anything outside the court circles in England. The great lawyers resident in Williamsburg were the attorney-general John Clayton, William Robertson, William Hopkins, John Holloway, and John Randolph. The leading physicians were William Cocke the secretary of state, Archibald Blair, Lewis Contesse, John Serjanton, Robert Innis, and John Brown. Among the inn-keepers, the most prominent were Mrs. Mary Luke, widow of John Luke, formerly collector of the customs for the lower district of James River; Gabriel Maupin and Jean Marot - the last two being Huguenot settlers, who came with other Frenchmen to Virginia in 1700. Other residents were Colonel Nathaniel Harrison, Richard Bland, Francis Tyler, Dr. George Allen, John Tyler, Christopher de Graffenreidt, Gawin Corbin, Graves Pack, Thomas Jones, Francis Sharpe, Benjamin Harrison, and John James Flournoy. [Source: Williamsburg , the old colonial capital; By Lyon Gardiner Tyler; Publ. 1907; Pgs. 22-24; Transcribed and submitted by Andrea Stawski Pack]
Trevilian, Capt. Charles B.
John Trevilian, a Huguenot refugee from France, came to the colony of Virginia and founded the family in the Old Commonwealth. His son John was the father of Col. John M. Trevilian, who was born in Goochland County, Virginia, and who died in 1873, aged seventy-three years. Colonel Trevilian married Mary C. Argyle, who died in 1878, aged seventy years. Capt. Charles B. Trevilian is their son, and was born in Goochland county, September 15, 1838.
He received his education in Hampden-Sidney College and in the University of Virginia. He entered the Confederate States army in 1861, Company F, 4th Virginia Cavalry, and was promoted captain of the company. At Gettysburg he was wounded and made prisoner, and was held twenty-two months on Johnsons Island, Lake Erie. After release he rejoined his command, and was again wounded, at High Bridge, in the retreat to Appomattox. Captain Trevilian held the office of collector of revenue in New Kent county. Virginia, one year, and for the last two years has filled the position he is now holding in the Eastern Lunatic Asylum, Williamsburg, that of supervisor.
He married in Rockbridge county, Virginia, March 1, 1865, Mary S. Houston, who was born in that county, the daughter of Dr. David S. Houston, who died in 1864, and Nancy (Dix) Houston, who died in 1S87. Nannie H., eldest child of Mr. and Mrs. Trevilian, is now deceased; their living children are three: Mary R., Blanche K. and Gardner H. [Source: Virginia and Virginians: History of Volume 2; by Robert Alonzo Brock, Virgil Anson Lewis; publ. 1888; Residents of James City County Pgs. 694 to 702; Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack]
Vice-President, and successor to General Harrison as President of the United States, was born in Williamsburg, Virginia, March 29, 1790. At the age of twelve he entered William and Mary's College, where he graduated, with distinguished merit, five years after. He was admitted to the bar when nineteen years of age, and elected to the Virginia Legislature when twenty-one.
In 1816 he was elected to Congress, and in 1826 was elevated to the station of Governor of his native State.
In 1827 the Legislature selected him to fill a vacancy in the United States Senate. He served in this capacity until 1836, when a difference of opinion having arisen between President Jackson and himself, he resigned his seat in that body, and went into retirement.
Mr. Tyler did not again make his appearance in public life until 1840, when he was selected by the Whig party as their candidate for Vice-President, in connection with General Harrison, as candidate for President; and, under the rallying cry of "Tippecanoe and Tyler, too," he was elected to that office by a large majority, and entered upon the discharge of its duties March 4, 1841.
The death of General Harrison, one month later, raised him to the Chief Magistracy of the Republic.
The course he pursued in vetoing two separate bills, chartering a United States Bank, besides opposing the measures of the party that elected him, in various other ways, caused him to be denounced by them in unmeasured terms, and occasioned the resignation, in 1842, of the whole of the cabinet, except Daniel Webster, who, as Secretary of State had important negotiations with England; and he continued in office until the consummation of the famous "Ashburton Treaty," when, in the spring of 1843, he also resigned.
Mr. Tyler's term of office expired in 1845, after which he lived in retirement until the winter of 1860 and '61, when he took an active part in the calling and organization of the Peace Congress which met in Washington in February, 1861, and of which he was the presiding officer. On his return to Virginia, he became a member of the Virginia Convention which passed the ordinance of secession, - April 17, 1861, and was afterward a member of the Rebel Congress. He died in Richmond, Virginia, January 17, 1862. (Source: Biographies of 250 Distinguished National Men by Horatio Bateman. Published 1871 - Transcribed by Linda Rodriguez)
Tyler, Lyon Gardiner
Was born at his father's residence, "Sherwood Forest," in Davies City county, Virginia, in August, 1853. He is a son of President John Tyler, by his second marriage, with Julia Gardiner of Gardiners Island, New York. The founder of the Tyler family in Virginia was Henry Tyler, who came from England and settled at Middle Plantation in 1653. Further records of this eminent family will be found on many of the preceding pages of Virginia and Virginians, more especially in Volume 1, pp. 103-108.
The wife of Lyon Gardiner Tyler, whom he married in Pulaski county, Virginia, November 14, 1878, was born in Charlottesville, Virginia. Annie, daughter of Col. St. George Tucker, son of Judge St. George Tucker, whose father was Judge St. George Tucker, who came from Island of Bermuda to Virginia. Her mother is Lizzie, daughter of Thomas W. Gilmer former Secretary of the Navy, whose wife was Anne Baker. Mr. and Mrs. Tyler have three children: Julia Gardiner, Lizzie Gilmer and John.
Mr. Tyler finished his education at the university of Virginia, which he entered in February, 1870, graduating in July, 1875, with Degrees of Bachelor and Master of Arts. During his University career he was twice elected orator of the Jefferson Society, and obtained a scholarship as best editor of the University magazine. The year following his graduation he studied law with John B. Minor, Esq. In January, 1877, he was elected Professor of Belies Lettres in William and Mary College, which position he ably filled until, in November, 1878, he went to Memphis, Tennessee, where he was head of a high school for four years.
In September, 1882, he returned to Virginia, settled in Richmond, practiced law, and took an active interest in politics. In 188.1 he ran for the House of Delegates, one of seven candidates, but was not elected. In 1887 he was again nominated for Representative and was elected. In the House of Delegates he rendered distinguished service to Virginia, successfully championing the labor bureau, child labor, and William and Mary College hills, all of which he argued were necessary for the education of the people and the best interests of the State. Mr. Tyler is the author of "The Letters and Times of the Tyler's," spoken of on page 107 of this work, a work not only of value as a biography of his grandfather, Governor Tyler, and his father, the President, but also as an authentic and interesting history of events from 1776 to 1861. On August, 22, 1888, Mr. Tyler received merited recognition as a scholar, a literature, and a Virginian, in his election to the position he now fills, as President of William and Mary College. [Source: Virginia and Virginians: History of Volume 2; by Robert Alonzo Brock, Virgil Anson Lewis; publ. 1888; Residents of James City County Pgs. 694 to 702; Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack]
Wharton, Rev. Lyman Brown
In colonial days William Wharton came from England to Virginia, settling in Culpeper County. His son John settled in Albemarle County, Virginia, and had a son also named John, who was the father of John Austin Wharton, who was born in Bedford county, and who died June 20, 1889, aged eighty-five years. John Austin Wharton married Isabella Brown, who survives him, living now in Liberty, Virginia. Their son is the subject of this sketch, Lyman Brown Wharton, born in Liberty, Virginia.
After the usual preliminary education, he entered the University of Virginia, which he attended sessions of two years, and graduated in the schools of ancient and modern languages. He took orders in the Protestant Episcopal Church and had charge of Cornwell Parish, Charlotte county, Virginia, until he became chaplain of the 59th Virginia Infantry, C. S. A., with which he remained until its surrender at Appomattox.
He then took charge of a church in Abingdon. Virginia; in 1870 became professor of Greek and German, at William and Mary College, where he remained until 1881, becoming then associate principal of Norwood High School, Nelson county, Virginia. Subsequently he was professor of languages in Hanover Academy, Virginia, and in Bellevue High School, Bedford county, Virginia. In 1886 he was professor of Ancient Languages in the Maryland Military and Naval Academy, Oxford, Maryland. In 1888 he returned to Williamsburg and became professor of languages in college of William and Mary, which position he still fills.
Mr. Wharton married in Richmond. Virginia, December 27, 1877, Martha Paulina Taylor. She was born in Henrico County, near Richmond, and is the daughter of the late Henry Porterfield Taylor and Cornelia Taylor, now Storrs. Her mother still lives in Richmond her father died there, November 19, 1887, aged seventy years. He was u son of Col. Edmund Taylor, who served in the war of 1812, and at a later period was the first captain of the old military organization in Richmond, the "Richmond Blues." The father of Colonel Taylor was Edmund Taylor, Esq., of Taylorsville, Hanover county, Virginia. Mr. Wharton had one brother in service in the late war, John, a cadet at the Virginia Military Institute, who participated in the service of the cadets in the field, including that in Newmarket battle. [Source: Virginia and Virginians: History of Volume 2; by Robert Alonzo Brock, Virgil Anson Lewis; publ. 1888; Residents of James City County Pgs. 694 to 702; Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack]
Witherspoon, Charles D.
Was born at "Evergreen" (the home of his Ruffin ancestors for one hundred and fifty years), on James River, Prince George county, Virginia. He spent his early life inGreensboro, Hale County, Alabama, until August, 1871, when he came to Virginia, and concluded his education at Williamsburg in the following year. He began business with Wm. Cameron & Bro., tobacco manufacturers, of Petersburg, Virginia in March 1873, and severed his connection with them the following October by their discontinuing business during the financial panic of that year. After farming for one year he entered the employ of D. B. Tennant & Co., tobacco manufacturers, of Petersburg, in February, 1875, and he has continued with them, and their successor, Mr. David Dunlop, in the capacity of book-keeper, to the present time. Mr. Witherspoon is a son of Wm. Alfred Witherspoon who was a hardware merchant of Mobile, Alabama, who died in his thirty-second year and Tariffa Cocke. He is grandson of Dr. John R. Witherspoon, of Hale County, Alabama, who married Sophia, daughter of Gen. Joseph Graham, of Lincoln County, North Carolina, and Isabella Davidson of the same county. He is great grandson of Robert Witherspoon und Isabella Heatly; great, great grandson of James Witherspoon and Elizabeth McQuoid; great, great, great grandson of John Witherspoon, of Paisley (near Glasgow) Scotland, who settled in Williamsburg, South Carolina, in December, 1734.
On his mother's side Mr. Witherspoon is grandson of Commodore Henry Harrison Cocke, U. S. N., who married Elizabeth, daughter of George Ruffin, of "Evergreen," and Jane Skipwith. Commodore Cocke was born at "Montpelier," Surry County, Virginia, May 5, 1794. He entered the U. S. Navy at the age of fifteen years, and was engaged in the war of 1812 with Great Britain; was commissioned commodore in July 1851, the then highest rank in the navy. In April, 1861, on the secession of Virginia, he retired from the navy, then in his sixty-eighth year; and was appointed under the Confederate government commander of the defenses of James River, where he erected five forts.
Mr. Witherspoon is a great grandson of Walter Cocke and Ann Carter Harrison; great, great grandson of John Cocke and Rebecca Starke, who were married in 1740. [Source: Virginia and Virginians: History of Volume 2; by Robert Alonzo Brock, Virgil Anson Lewis; publ. 1888; Pages 634 to 659; transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack 2011~]
The second Ralph to be councillor, was a son of Ralph Wormeley, Esq., burgess and councillor, and of Agatha Eltonhead, who married (first) Luke Stubbins, of Northampton county, (second) Ralph Wormeley, and (third) Sir Henry Chicheley. He was born in 1650; matriculated, July 4, 1665, at Oriel College, Oxford: was a member of the House of Burgesses in 1674; appointed member of the council in 1677; secretary of state in 1693, and became in the same year president of the council. He lived in such state at his residence, "Rosegill," on the Rappahannock River, and had such influence in affairs, that he was called the greatest man in "Virginia." He married (first) Catherine, widow of Colonel Peter Jenings and daughter of Sir Thomas Lunsford, by whom he had two daughters Elizabeth, who married John Lomax, and Catherine, who married Gawin Corbin. He married (second) Elizabeth Armistead, daughter of Colonel John Armistead, of Gloucester County, and had several sons and daughters, one of whom was John Wormeley, who was grandfather of Ralph Wormeley, the third councillor of the name (q. v.). "Rosegill," his beautiful home on the Rappahannock, was the residence at different times of two of the governors of Virginia - Sir Henry Chicheley, who married his mother, and Lord Howard, of Effingham, who preferred living here to residing at Jamestown. Colonel Wormeley died December 5, 1703. [Encyclopedia of Virginia Biography, Under the Editorial Supervision of Lyon Gardiner Tyler, 1915 - Transcribed by FOFG]
© Genealogy Trails