King and Queen County was created from New Kent County in 1691. The county was named for King William III and Queen Mary II.
The county consists of 326 square miles with 316 square miles being land and 10 miles being water.
King and Queen is one of the tide-water counties of Virginia, lying at its southeastern extremity, only some forty miles from Chesapeake Bay. It adjoins the counties of Caroline, Essex, Middlesex, Gloucester, and King William, being separated from the latter by the Mattapony River. It lies on the northeastern shore of the York and Mattapony Rivers.
Among the earliest settlers of King and Queen County was Roger Shackelford, an emigrant from Old Alresford, Hampshire, England, after which the village of Shacklefords, Virginia, in King and Queen County is named. Shackelford's descendants continued to live in the county, and by the nineteenth century had intermarried with the Taliaferro, Beverley, Thornton and Sears families, among others.
The county contains no incorporated towns and is among the more rustic of the counties of Virginia.
King and Queen Court House * Newtown * St. Stephen's Church * Shacklefords