Rev. Thomas E. Gardner
Was born, reared and married in Washington County, which has always been his home. His birth occurred near old Glade Spring, on July 7, 1827, and he was married near Seven-mile Ford, May 20, 1856, Rev. W. P. Bishop officiating clergyman, and Ellen E. Landsdowne his bride. The children of the union are: Maggie, deceased; William Preston, deceased; Anna Thomas; Edwin L.; Hattie J., now Mrs. Dickerson: Virginia S., Mary Emma, Thomas E., George M., and Graham Landsdowne. Mr. Gardner is a son of Jeremiah C. Gardner, who was born at Geneva, New York, and was the son of George Gardner, who came from England, settled at Long Island, removed thence to Geneva, and later to Saltville, Virginia. The mother of Thomas E. was Margaret, daughter of Major Thomas Edmondson, who served with that rank in the war of 1812, stationed for a time at Norfolk, Virginia. Major Edmondson's father and two brothers were in the Continental Army, Revolutionary war, and in battle of Kings Mountain, North Carolina. Mr. Gardner's maternal grandmother was a Buchanan, descended from the Buchanan identified with the first settlements in Washington county. His wife was born in Marion, Smyth County, Virginia, on Christmas day, 1835, the daughter of George T. Landsdowne of Pittsylvania County, Virginia, who is of the noble English family of that name, the house of which the Earl of Landsdowne is the head. Her mother was Anna Thomas, whose ancestors came to Virginia from Premboshire, South Wales. The subject of this sketch entered the Confederate States service in 1863, in King's Battery of Virginia Artillery, with which he served till the close of the war. He had two brothers in the same service, in Texas regiments, and most of his relatives were in service, many killed, others wounded or otherwise injured. He is engaged in farming, and is also a minister of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South. His homestead is within one mile of Keywood, where Bishop Asbury held the first M. E. Conference west of the Blue Ridge Mountains, in May, 1788, the centennial of which event was celebrated May 13, 1888, at Ma-ha-naim, near the old conference grounds, and near Mr. Gardner's home. [Source: Virginia and Virginians: History of Volume 2; by Robert Alonzo Brock, Virgil Anson Lewis; publ. 1888; Pgs.722-764; Transcribed by A.S. Pack]
Goode, John, was born in Bedford county, Virginia, May 27, 1829, son of John and Ann M. Goode, of English descent. He was educated at the New London Academy and Emory and Henry College, studied law under Hon. John W. Brockenbrough, at Lexington, Virginia, and admitted to the bar in 1851. At the age of twenty-two elected from Bedford county to the general assembly. In the convention of 1861 he voted for the secession ordinance after the failure of the peace conference in Washington. He volunteered at the opening of the war between the states, took part in the first battle at Manassas, and was called to the staff of Gen. Jubal A. Early. He was a member of the Confederate congress from February, 1862, until the end of the war. In 1865 he engaged in practice of law in Norfolk, and was elected to the house of delegates. He was a member of congress from 1874 to 1881, and served on the committee on education. A Democrat in politics, he was a presidential elector in 1852, 1856 and 1884; a delegate in the national conventions of 1868, 1872, 1883 and 1892, and served on the national committee of his party from 1868 until 1876. He was a member of the board of visitors of the University of Virginia, William and Mary College, and the Virginia Agriculture and Mechanical College. From May, 1885, to August, 1886, he was solicitor-general of the United States, and in 1893 was a member of the United States and Chilian claims commission. In 1898 he was president of the Virginia State Bar Association, and in 1901 unanimously elected president of the Virginia constitutional convention. He married Sallie, daughter of R. A. Urquhart, of Isle of Wight, Virginia. He died at Norfolk, July 14, 1909. [Source: Encyclopedia of Virginia Biography; Edited by Lyon Gardiner Tyler; Publ. 1915; Tr. by A.S. Pack]
GRANBERY, Miss Virginia, artist, born in Norfolk, Va. When she was a child, her parents moved to New York, where they have resided ever since. She early showed a fondness for drawing, but, as there was no drawing taught in the schools, she did not have the benefit of instruction. She learned to copy engravings and made several drawings from casts, without a teacher. After she was grown, she went to the Cooper Institute for a short time, spending a part of each day under the instruction of A. F. Bellows in his studio, where she worked in colors. She studied in the Academy of Design school in the antique, portrait and life classes, and received honorable mention for a drawing. She began to paint fruits and flowers from nature, many of which have been chromoed by Prang, of Boston. From 1871 to 1882 she was teacher of the art department of the Packer Institute, Brooklyn, N. Y. On entering the Packer Institute she received the same salary as her predecessor, but at the end of the first year her method had doubled the number of pupils, and she had offers from other large schools that wished to secure her services. The board of trustees decided to increase her salary fifty per cent, and also gave her a further substantial recognition of their appreciation of her services in a check for a handsome amount, accompanied by a very complimentary letter. The department increased so that an assistant was necessary. After eleven years of work she broke down under the constant demand on her strength, and was obliged to send in her resignation. She and her sisters were among the very few women artists whose work was accepted with that of the men to be exhibited in the Centennial of 1876, in Philadelphia. Recently she has devoted herself principally to portraits. She is very successful in painting small pictures of children. She has shown pictures in all the principal exhibitions throughout the United States. (Source: American Women by Frances Elizabeth Willard, Mary Ashton Rice Livermore, Vol. 1, 1897. Tr. by Marla Snow)
Gen. V. D. Groner
General Groner was born in Norfolk, Virginia, on September 7, 1836. He married, in New Orleans, Louisiana, in April, 1866, Katherine Campbell, who was born in Mobile, Alabama, and who was a daughter of Justice John A. Campbell, formerly a Judge of the United States Supreme Court, and who, during the Confederacy, was associated with Vice-President A. H. Stephens, and Hon. R. M. T. Hunter, Senator from Virginia, as commissioners to meet President Lincoln and Secretary of State Seward, at Hampton Roads, just before the close of the war. Their children are three sons: John A. C., Duncan Lawrence and Robert Newell. At the age of eighteen the subject of this sketch, who had previously graduated at the Norfolk Military Academy, organized a military company, known as the "Independent Greys,'' and in the succeeding year he was made lieutenant-colonel of regiment of Virginia militia, at Norfolk. After studying law one year, he entered into a business life, and was two years agent for an express company, then for a time in the employ of the New York & Virginia Steamship Co. In 1859 he went to Texas, where he was the guest of Gen. Sam Houston. There he tendered his services to Baylor's Texan Rangers, and assisted in subduing the Comanche Indians, and other hostile tribes. On the election of Lincoln, he left Texas with the intention of returning to Virginia, but at the request of Governor Pettus of Mississippi he went to New York, and performed the delicate and valuable service of purchasing and shipping arms for Mississippi. This accomplished he returned to Virginia, and perfected a secret organization for the capture of Fortress Monroe, which would have been successfully accomplished but for the interference of Governor Letcher. He then returned to Mississippi, and was tendered commission as adjutant-general of Mississippi by Governor Pettus, which commission he declined. Going to Montgomery he was commissioned and appointed captain and assistant-adjutant general of the regular Confederate States Army, and assigned to duty at the seat of government, the fifth military appointment made by the new government. He remained in this service at Montgomery and in Richmond until after the first battle around the latter city, when he was directed to take charge of the archives of the government, which he removed by canal, in the direction of Lynchburg. During this trip the James River overflowed, and when its waters receded the canal banks were washed out. Knowing the importance of this feeder for supplying troops at Richmond, General Groner appealed for aid to the farmer, and by the labor they furnished, had the canal thoroughly repaired in twenty-four hours, a work for which he was warmly commended by the President of the Canal to President Jefferson Davis. While the second battle around Richmond was being fought, he reported on the field to General R. E. Lee, with whom he remained until after Malvern Hill battle. As a part of his service in the Adjutant Department, he had charge of the Organization Bureau, and the entire Confederate Army, so far, had been organized through his office. Desirous of more active service, he was now assigned to the 59th North Carolina Cavalry, with headquarters at Franklin, Virginia, and with this regiment he was engaged in the fighting around Suffolk. At the time the Army of Northern Virginia was in Maryland, he was made colonel of the Virginia Infantry, and took charge of the same at Warrenton, Virginia, defending the bridges both at Warrenton and at Rappahannock Station.
When Lee's Army moved back from Maryland into Virginia, General Groner was ordered to Fredericksburg, his command then consisting of his own regiment, the Norfolk Blues Battery, and a Mississippi Battery to which, after he reached Fredericksburg, a portion of Ball's Regiment of Virginia Cavalry and a Battalion of Mississippians were added. Arriving in Fredericksburg, he took possession at Falmouth Ford, just as Burnside's Army readied the opposite shore. He at once engaged in an artillery duel, so defending the fort until Lee's Army reached Fredericksburg, two days later. Shortly after, his regiment was assigned to Mahone's Brigade, with which he took part in all the subsequent gallant fighting of the Army of Northern Virginia, except when absent some two months with severe wounds received at Spotsylvania Court House. While yet on crutches, he rejoined the army around Petersburg, and engaged in battles there when he had to be assisted to mount his horse, his wound preventing the use of his limb. In a number of battles he commanded the brigade. He surrendered at Appomattox Court House. After the war was ended he turned for a short time to his home in Norfolk, and then went to New York City, where he and Gen. Joe Davis (nephew of President Davis) were together some months. He then for a time accepted the management of a steamship line running between Virginia and New York, then was a short time general agent at Norfolk for the Norfolk & Petersburg R. R., and was then appointed general agent of the Merchants' & Miners' Transportation Co., a position he has ably filled ever since.
During reconstruction periods, General Groner was a zealous Conservative, and he was largely instrumental in the election of Hon. Gilbert C. Walker to the Governorship, and received from him tender of commission as State adjutant-general, and also the tender of post of private secretary, both of which he declined. He was once candidate for Governor of Virginia, and has been several times endorsed by his city for United States Senator. He was president of both branches of the Norfolk City Council from the re-organization of the city government, after the war, to about 1880. During his administration, the bonds of the city appreciated from 47 to 107, and he was instrumental in saving the city a large amount of interest, for which, as well as for other acts in the interest of the city, he was, and still is, held in high esteem. General Groner gives little attention to politics, being immersed in business, holding the following positions, at once onerous and honorable: President of the National Compress Association; President of the Steamship Line run by this Association between Norfolk and Liverpool; General Agent of the Merchants' & Miners' Transportation Company, running steamers to Boston and Providence; General Manager of the Washington Lines, running daily boats between Washington City and Norfolk; and actively engaged in many other enterprises. Norfolk as a shipping port is greatly indebted to him. [Source: Virginia and Virginians: History of Volume 2; by Robert Alonzo Brock, Virgil Anson Lewis; publ. 1888; tr. by A.S. Pack]
BACK -- HOME
© Genealogy Trails