|The first recorded settlement of the County of Northumberland in Virginia was made in 1642. This settlement was known as Chicacoan, and it constituted a parish. In 1653 a court order was entered dividing the county into three parishes, the northern most part was called Chicacoan Parish. Subsequently, in 1664, the county was divided into two parishes and Chicacoan became Saint Stephen's Parish.
In 1874 the land on which the present church stands was conveyed and the building of the church was begun. In April of 1881, Emmanuel Protestant Episcopal Church was consecrated. Later its name was changed to St Stephen's. Thus, although St. Stephens' Church is little more than 100 years old, it is part of a parish history extending back more than 300 years.
The white, frame, board-and-batten church stands today in the center of the community of Heathsville, with a well kept lawn, large trees, and the church cemetery behind the church. Heathsville is on US Route 360 and is the location of the county courthouse of Northumberland County.
(Submitted by: Christine Walters)