Roanoke County, Virginia Genealogy Trails


Biographies
"F"

Fellers, Mason Lee
    
Mason Lee Fellers, the subject of this sketch, is a native of Bedford County, Virginia, a son of Peter and Angelina M. (Cook) Fellers, and was born in Bedford County, on February 8th, 1824, and died May 7th, 1859; his mother was born in Botetourt County, Virginia, August 11th, 1832, being a daughter of Charles and Lydia Cook. Two children were born to Peter and Angelina Fellers, the subject of this sketch and a sister, Mary O. Fellers, who married Edward Nininger of Roanoke County. When Mason Lee Fellers was seven months old his father died. In 1867 his mother was married to George Riley, who died in August 1901.
     At the age of seventeen years he came to Roanoke County and went to live with his brother-in-law on Tinker Creek. The winter months were spent in obtaining an education and in laying for himself the foundation for his successful after life. For a short period he attended the Huntingdon Normal College at Huntingdon, Pennsylvania. One year he clerked in a store at Hollins and one winter taught a public school in Roanoke County. In 1879 he bought a farm, two and one-half miles north of Roanoke, on which he has since lived and prospered, and which is regarded as one of the most valuable farms in the county. It comprises one hundred and twenty acres and is in a high state or cultivation. Besides the avocation of farming, Mr. Fellers has been actively engaged in other business pursuits, that of trucking, manufacturing brick, operating large stone quarries, and contracting for stone foundations.
     On December 30, 1880, he married Sudie E. Nininger, daughter of William G. and Eliza Nininger, of Daleville, Virginia. The following children were born to this union: Mary E., married to L. N. Kinzie, of Troutville, Virginia; William B. Fellers, M. D., practicing his profession in Roanoke, Virginia; Stanford L., a law student at Washington and Lee University; Bessie H., who resides with her parents.
     Mr. Fellers is a man of indomitable energy, keen foresight, and all his acts of life have been governed by a high sense of honor. He emerged from the boom of the early nineties almost hopelessly bankrupt and over $17,000 in debt. With a high sense of honor he set to work to pay off this large sum with no assets other than a small farm. Stock in defunct land companies was paid and a $3,000 security debt hung over him. The continuous growth of Roanoke in recent years was of great value to Mr. Fellers. He cut up a portion of his farm into small tracts, from which he realized the sum of $20,000. With other lands in which he invested his holdings are easily worth from $50,000 to $60,000.
     Mr. and Mrs. Fellers are communicants of the Brethren Church. He is a School Trustee for Big Lick District, an ardent advocate of the education of the masses, and stands for the progress and uplift of his county in every way.
Transcribed by: Peggy Luce

FISHBURNE, REUBEN H.:
     Farmer, merchant, soldier, manufacturer, capitalist, and philanthropist, aptly describes Reuben H. Fishburne, a member of the first Town Council of Big Lick, and at present a wealthy citizen of Roanoke, who has retired from active business life. He was born in Franklin County, Virginia, February 27th, 1835, being a son of Samuel and Frances Fishburne His parentage was of sturdy old Virginia stock, and the son inherited largely the noble qualities of his ancestry.
     Mr. Fishburne belongs to a long lived race of people. He enjoys the unique distinction of having eight grandparents and great grandparents living at the time of his birth, seven of whom he grew up to know intimately. The eighth he never knew personally, as she moved away from the neighborhood a short time before he was born.
     On April 27th, 1873, he married Emma Virginia Phillips, daughter of Joshua and Sallie Clark (Hughes) Phillips of Campbell County, Virginia. To this union five children, one son and four daughters were born, namely: Blair J., Annie L., Fannie T. (deceased), Sallie C., and S. Ella.
     Fraternally Mr. Fishburne is a Pythian. Religiously he is a member of Greene Memorial Methodist Church, and a former member of the Board of Stewards. He placed the city under lasting obligations to him for the town clock, which he installed in the tower of Greene Memorial Church, in connection with his gift of the chimes and pipe organ to the congregation.
     As a boy he attended the old field schools of Franklin County, obtaining a fair education. For a number of years he was engaged in farming pursuits, and when the war broke out between the states, he was one of the first to respond to his country's call, joining Company A, Thirty-Seventh Battalion, Virginia Cavalry, and serving under General William E. Jones until the time of his death, June 5th, 1864.
     During the first years of the war, the Thirty-Seventh Battalion was engaged in Southwest Virginia and West Virginia, and in the Valley of Virginia, during the last year or more of the bloody conflict. Mr. Fishburne's company was in the Hanging Rock skirmish with Hunter's Army, an account of which is given elsewhere in this volume.
     The war over, he returned to his home in Franklin County where he sought to rebuild the losses he sustained during the four years of conflict. For a short time he was engaged in mercantile pursuits at Rocky Mount. In 1873 he removed to Big Lick where he engaged in the manufacture of tobacco, both "plug" and "smoking." For more than fifteen years the firm of Fishburne Brothers, composed of R. H. and T. T. Fishburne, continued the business, after which, and for an additional sixteen years, only high-grade smoking tobacco was manufactured until the year of 1905, when the subject of this sketch retired from active business life. Since then he has traveled extensively, and has been deeply' interested in the welfare of his old comrades in gray, who fought with him for the "lost cause."
     During the year 1910 he published a history of his old company in a neatly bound volume, a copy of which was presented to each survivor, as well as to the widows of his deceased comrades. It was largely through his beneficence that the handsome monument recently erected in memory of the Confederate dead of his native county, now graces the Courthouse Square at Rocky Mount. In latter years he has extended help whenever needed to his old comrades in arms, it affording him much pleasure to draw on his own resources for their benefit.
     As a builder of Roanoke, he as a member of the firm of Fishburne Brothers, was among the few who subscribed liberally towards securing the terminus of the Shenandoah Valley Railroad, and he has been interested financially and in an advisory capacity with a number of the city's leading institutions, being a director of the National Exchange Bank, the Virginia Bridge and Iron Company, and the Brand Shoe Company, as well as a stockholder in many others of the leading financial institutions of the city.
[History of Roanoke County by George S. Jack, Edward Boyle Jacobs; published 1915; Submitted to Genealogy Trails by Andrea Stawski Pack.]

 

FLEMING, COLONEL WILLIAM

     It is not generally known that the remains of Colonel William Fleming, a Revolutionary hero, and a great Indian fighter, lay buried a short distance to the northeast of the city of Roanoke. He came to Virginia in 1755, landing at Norfolk. In Scotland he had studied medicine and surgery, but not being fond of the practice, entered the army as an ensign in the First Virginia Regiment of the Colonial service. He was a lieutenant in the "Sandy Creek" expedition in 1756, and was also surgeon of the expedition. He continued in the service for eight years and was at the taking of Fort Duquesne. In 1763 he married Nancy Christian, daughter of Israel Christian, and in 1770 purchased "Bellmont," a farm near the present site of Roanoke, now partly owned by Frank Read. The original farm contained about two thousand five hundred acres. Colonel Fleming was one of the county justices when the Botetourt County Court was organized February 13th, 1770.

     In the battle of Point Pleasant, Colonel Fleming commanded the Botetourt companies under Captains Matthew Arbuckle, John Murray, John Lewis, James Robertson, Robert McClanahan, James Ward, and John Stuart. He was wounded in this battle whilst leading a charge on the Indians, in the beginning of the engagement, receiving two bullets in the arm and one in the lungs. Colonel Charles Lewis and Colonel John Field both being killed, the command devolved on Colonel Fleming, who continued in the field, and the exertion of giving commands forced the lungs through the wound. When relieved from the command his condition was considered hopeless, and owing to the scarcity of surgical aid, nothing was done for him. A servant who had often attended surgical operations with him dressed the wounded colonel's injuries, and he finally recovered. The bullet in his breast was never extracted and not only caused great suffering through his life, but was at last the cause of his death.

     In 1781 he attended General Lewis, being present at his death. He was a member of the Council of Virginia under Thomas Jefferson, and was in the State Senate for many years.

He died in August, 1795, aged sixty-six years. He was born in Jedburgh, Scotland, February 18th, 1729. His grave and that of his wife are in the old Bellmont burial ground on the banks of Tinker Creek in Roanoke County.

[History of Roanoke County by George S. Jack, Edward Boyle Jacobs; published 1915; Submitted to Genealogy Trails by Andrea Stawski Pack.]

Fuqua, C. E. 
     The subject of this sketch, one of the farming residents of Washington County, was born in Bedford County, Virginia, on July 25, 1835. He married, atBig Spring, Virginia, June 22, 1858, Lucy Gordon, who was born near Salem, Roanoke County, Virginia, December 27, 1835. The record of their children is: Mary F., married Charles B. Stone, of Abingdon, on January 18, 1881, and died December 4, 1883; Frank M., died November 11,1861, aged ten months; Eolia S. and Gordon C., living at home.

     The father of Mr. Fuqua was Hezekiah Fuqua, of Bedford County, son of Joseph Fuqua, who was a soldier of the Revolutionary war, and in battles of Brandywine and Cowpens. His mother was Sarah, daughter of Simon Noel, formerly of Bedford County. A number of the Noel family served in the war of 1812. The Fuqua’s were Huguenots, emigrating from France under religious persecution, settling first in South Carolina. Mrs. C.E. Fuqua is a daughter of John Gordon, of Roanoke County, whose father was Isaac Gordon, of Manchester, Virginia. The Gordon’s of Virginia trace their ancestral line to a Gordon of Scotland, made a Peer by King Malcolm for bravery, serving after as a trusted guard of honor, near the person of the King. One branch of the Gordon family emigrating from Scotland in colonial days, settled in Manchester, another branch founded Gordonsville, Virginia. The mother of Mrs. Fuqua was Eleanor, daughter of John Zircle, of Roanoke County, the family coming from the Shenandoah Valley.

     C. E. Fuqua was six months in service in light artillery, C. S. A., in 1862, then discharged for disability, after that served as railroad supervisor. His brother C. T. Fuqua was killed in battle of Seven Pines; another brother was killed in the seven days fighting around Richmond; still another was captured in 1865, and sent north as prisoner of war.

[Source:  Virginia and Virginians:  History of Volume 2; by Robert Alonzo Brock, Virgil Anson Lewis; publ. 1888;  Pgs.722-764; Transcribed and submitted to Genealogy Trails by Andrea Stawski Pack]

 



Return to

Roanoke County

Virginia

Genealogy Trails

Copyright © Genealogy Trails
All data on this website is Copyright by Genealogy Trails with full rights reserved for original submitters.