George Garst, in
his day, one of the most widely known of Roanoke County’s
citizenship, was born in Franklin County, Virginia, November
15th, 1821, being a son of Jacob and Tamsy Garst. He was one
of five children born to them, there being three sons and two
As a young man he chose
to be a miller by trade, and began life at the Bonbrook Mills
in Franklin County. He then located at the Deyerle Mill in
Roanoke County, some three or four miles southwest of Big
Lick, now Roanoke. After some years he became the owner of
this valuable mill property which is still operated by his
son, Jacob Garst.
married first, Mary Ann Linkenhoker, and to them five children
were born: Elizabeth, who died at eighteen years; John Henry,
who left home soon after Lee’s surrender and was never heard
from; Taylor, who died last year in Patrick County; Fannie,
married Jacob Bittenger, resides in Chicago, Julia, married
Ballard P. Linkenhoker. His wife died May 21st, 1854.
George Garst married secondly,
Mary Frances Lockett on June 14th, 1855. To this union ten
children were born as follows: Jacob Benjamin; Jane Anne,
married to W. T. Lockett, now deceased; Forest J. and Jack,
who reside at Boone Mill, Franklin County, Virginia; Susan
Mildred, married to George Haislip, Charles William, resides
in Botetourt County, Virginia; Eliza K. Neal, married to James
A. Peters, resides in Roanoke, Maggie Lewis, married to W. G.
Leslie, both deceased; Robert L. died in Alabama, and Frank
Garst, the latter residing with his mother at the old home
Jacob Benjamin Garst, who
married Sue Peters, has a most interesting family of eleven
children, there being eight daughters and three sons. He
operates the Garst Mill and a large tomato canning
establishment and resides in a modern home near the mill.
Frank Garst married Julia Sink of
Franklin County, and seven children have been born to this
union, two of whom are dead. Beside the numerous living
children of the late George Garst, who died July 3rd, 1890, he
is survived by a large number of grandchildren and
has been prominent in the development of Roanoke County for
more than half a century.
Transcribed by: Peggy Luce
William Good, the subject of this sketch is the largest and
most important packer of canned goods in Roanoke County, and
operates at Starkey Station, seven miles south of Roanoke,
under the name of Shenandoah Packing Company, putting up the
famous Shenandoah brands of tomatoes, apples, beans, and sweet
potatoes. The business was organized seven years ago with D.
Saylor Good, brother of the proprietor, as a partner. One year
later, D. William Good purchased his brother’s interest. The
Shenandoah Packing Company puts up annually about eleven
thousand cases of canned goods, and it is the intention during
the present year to increase the output to twenty thousand
cases. His post office is Farland,
Mr. Good was born in
Shenandoah County, Virginia, January 15th, 1867 and as a boy
worked on his father’s farm and attended the county schools.
He afterwards attended Bridgewater College and took a
commercial course at a business college in Valparaiso,
Indiana. In 1888 he located at Roanoke, where for a period of
seventeen years he was engaged in the wholesale and brokerage
business. Being eminently successful, he saw greater
opportunities in the packing business, and at once established
a large sanitary packing plant with ample railroad siding for
the conduct of the business, and began putting up meritorious
goods of excellent quality, which at all times command the
highest prices in the open market.
D. William Good is one of ten
children born to Samuel and Sarah (Wampler) Good, his father
being a native of Rockingham County, Virginia and of German
ancestry. In 1896 he married Jessie Potter, daughter of M. G.
and Mahala Potter, of Sheldon, Illinois and who died in 1901.
He married secondly, in October 1902, Lizzie Murphy, daughter
of John F. and Sarah Murphy, of Amsterdam, Botetourt County,
Virginia. To this union the following children have been born:
Elizabeth Gertrude, William Frederick, Grace Rebecca and Annie
Transcribed by: Peggy Luce
VINCENT GRAY, M. D.
The subject of this sketch was
born at the "Homestead," Bedford County, Virginia, July 28th,
1839, and died in Washington, D. C., while under treatment,
July 15th, 1894.
Dr. Gray received his academic education
at the Piedmont Institute and Westwood Military Academy. His
medical education was acquired at the University of Virginia,
the Jefferson Medical College of Philadelphia, the Virginia
Medical College of Virginia and the Richmond Medical College
at Richmond, graduating in I860.
He was Assistant Surgeon
in the Confederate Army and was connected with the 13th
Louisiana and the 21st Mississippi Infantry, under General
Beauregard. Dr. Gray was regarded as one of the most
successful surgeons of the army and for meritorious conduct in
the battle of Sharpsburg was recommended by the Army Medical
Board for promotion and was made surgeon with the rank of
Major, January 14th, 1864.
In 1866 Dr. Gray was married to
Edmonia Woltz, daughter of Ferdinand Woltz, who was Clerk of
the Botetourt County Court for a period of thirty-eight years.
Mr. Woltz was a prominent Mason and organized many lodges
throughout this section of Virginia.
In 1867, Dr. Gray
located in Salem, Virginia, and was appointed Lecturer of
Anatomy of Roanoke College and a year later was elected
Professor of Physiology and Anatomy, this chair being created
for him. In. 1883 he was appointed Coroner of Roanoke City by
Governor Cameron and held this position until the time of his
death in 1894. In the early history of Roanoke he was made
chief surgeon of the Norfolk & Western. r. Gray was
honored as a citizen and noted for his integrity of character
and as a physician he rated deservedly high.
Roanoke County by George S. Jack, Edward Boyle Jacobs;
Submitted to Genealogy Trails by Andrea
Commissioner of Revenue for District No. 2 of Roanoke County,
comprising Big Lick, Cave Spring and the town of Vinton, is
Mr. L. L. Greenwood. His father was S. H. C. Greenwood, a
well-known and highly esteemed farmer. Mr. Greenwood’s home is
at Cave Spring, in that section of the county where many
famous apple orchards are located, and where success and
prosperity are being won by many of its citizens.
For a number of years Mr.
Greenwood was Deputy Treasurer for Cave Spring District and
the acceptable manner in which he discharged his duties laid
the foundation for his successful candidacy for the position
as Commissioner. As Deputy Treasurer he came in close contact
with practically every resident of his district, and the fact
that he won popularity while engaged in this work speaks
eloquently for his efficiency and tells of the kindness and
consideration which he showed to those from whom he collected
In his work as
commissioner of the Revenue he has fully maintained the fine
record for ability established by him in former years, and the
hold which he has on the affections and esteem of the people
promises him a long tenure of office.
Before entering public life, Mr.
Greenwood was a farmer interested in the cultivation of his
place near Cave Spring, and he still devotes care and
attention to his agricultural interests. His office is in the
new courthouse at Salem, and those who call in to see him are
always sure of a cordial and pleasant welcome.
As Commissioner, Mr. Greenwood
succeeded Mr. D. E. Kefauver, and he has served for eight
Not long ago he married
Miss Corelia I. Whitten, of Texas, a Southern lady of rare
attractiveness, whom he met while she was visiting in his
community. She died not long after their marriage, but her
life in Roanoke County, brief as it was, was sufficiently long
to impress upon those who knew her the beautiful and noble
qualities of her character.
Transcribed by: Peggy