Roanoke County, Virginia Genealogy Trails


Biographies
"M"

MCCLANAHAN, WILLIAM S.:
     William S. McClanahan, son of the late Elijah G. and Emma S. (Crenshaw) McClanahan, was born in Roanoke County, Virginia, January 20th, 1869.  His father, who was a son of Green McClanahan, also a native of Roanoke County, was born October 10th, 1817, on the farm now owned by Captain W. W. Berkeley, lying between Bonsack and Vinton, and was twice married; first to Sarah M. Hurt of Lynchburg, Va., to which union three daughters were born; and secondly, to Emma S. Crenshaw of Lynchburg, Va., to which union two sons, one of whom is the subject of this sketch, and two daughters, were born. Elijah G. McClanahan died February 11th, 1892, and Emma S. McClanahan died December 13th, 1910.
In about the year 1780, William McClanahan, the great grandfather of the subject of this sketch, moved from near Salem, where he had lived since moving there from Augusta County, and located in Roanoke County near Crystal Spring (then Big Spring) where he built his dwelling house of logs, in which it is said there were port-holes for protection against Indians.
     He was the fourth son of Robert McClanahan, founder of the family in this country, who came from the north of Ireland, and settled in Augusta County. William McClanahan Sr., was a large landowner, and gave farms lying in almost every direction around the present city of Roanoke to his sons, Colonel Elijah, Green, John, and James McClanahan. He died in 1819.
     About the year 1855, Elijah G. McClanahan, his grandson razed this old log house after having built the present McClanahan homestead. He had acquired various boundaries of land in the vicinity of Big Spring, until his farm contained about eighteen hundred acres, and included the spring now supplying the city of Roanoke with water.
     William S. McClanahan, upon leaving school, gained his first business experience in one of the early Banks of Roanoke, and following this for several years was secretary to one of the officials of the Norfolk & Western Railway Company, resigning this position in 1890 to take active part in the suburban development of Roanoke.
     In 1893 he purchased an established Fire Insurance Agency in Roanoke, and later bought out two other such Agencies, consolidating them under the firm name of W. S. McClanahan & Company, which firm has continuously conducted one of the leading Fire, Life and Accident Insurance Agencies of the city, representing a number of leading American and foreign companies.
     On April 24th, 1900, W. S. McClanahan married Mrs. Annie J. Stanard of Lexington, Virginia, then a teacher in the Roanoke Public Schools, and to this union has been born two children, William Elijah, born June 19th, 1901, and Robert W. C. McClanahan, born February 10th, 1903.
     Mr. McClanahan has been identified with the up building and progress of the city, since attaining his majority. Besides his General Insurance Business, he is Vice President of the People's Perpetual Loan and Building Association, a director in the City National Bank of Roanoke, and is Secretary and Treasurer of several of Roanoke's leading Development Companies.
     For many years an elder in the First Presbyterian Church of Roanoke, and teacher of its adult Bible Class; President of the Roanoke Young Men's Christian Association, and a member of its State Executive Committee, he may be regarded as a leader in the religious life of the city.
[History of Roanoke County by George S. Jack, Edward Boyle Jacobs; published 1915; Submitted to Genealogy Trails by Andrea Stawski Pack]

Munford, Gen. Thomas T.

Gen. Thomas T. Munford; Was born in the city ofRichmond, Virginia, in 1831, the son of Col. George Wythe Munford, who for twenty-five years was Secretary of the Commonwealth of Virginia. In November, 1853, he married Elizabeth Henrietta, daughter of Col. George P. Tayloe of Roanoke county, Virginia. She died in December, 1863. He married Emma Taylor, who was born at her father's seat, Mount Airy, Richmond county, Virginia. This marriage was solemnized in Washington City, by Rev. Charles Mumegerode. Thomas T. Munford entered the Virginia Military Institute in July 1849, and was graduated thence in July, 1859. For a time he was clerk for Ing. G. Mason, president of the I. R. & K. Railroad company. He then settled down as farmer and planter, and was so engaged until the war broke out. At the close of the war he resumed the same occupations, which he still follows.

     He entered the Confederate States Army with commission of lieutenant-colonel in the 30th Virginia Mounted Infantry. At the reorganization of the regiment into the 2d Virginia Cavalry he was commissioned its colonel. Later he was promoted brigadier general, rank to date from Wickham's resignation. In second Manassas battle he received two slight sabre cut wounds; was wounded by spent ball at Turkey Ridge. Served through the war, and was in command of Fitz Lee's division at Appomattox. At the head of his command cut through the enemy's lines, and his forces disbanded at Lynchburg, April 9, 1865, where the regiment with which he entered service first formed to go the front. General Munford has served two terms as president of the Board of Visitors of the Virginia Military Institute at Lexington.

Source:  Virginia and Virginians:  History of Volume 2; by Robert Alonzo Brock, Virgil Anson Lewis; publ.  1888; transcribed by Andrea Pack pgs. 556 to 595

Muse, George M.
    
Roanoke County has been exceedingly fortunate in having for its Treasurer Mr. George M. Muse, who was elected to the office in the year 1891, nineteen years ago, and who has filled it with the greatest efficiency ever since. Despite opposition, which was at times most strenuous, he has always been successful in his candidacy, being chosen for his position five times in succession. So great is his popularity in the county that at the last election no one else ventured to enter the race, which means, of course, that he was practically the unanimous choice of his constituents. This result is not surprising when one considers the sterling integrity of his character and the highly satisfactory manner in which he has discharged his duties. Careful and painstaking in every department of his work, impartial in all of his decisions, and absolutely fair in his transactions, he has merited the support of his county and has abundantly deserved the success which he has achieved.
     Mr. Muse’s home is near the town of Vinton, in the eastern end of the county, but he is known and honored from Blue Ridge to the Montgomery line. He is a son of the late William Muse, a man of prominence in his day, whose fine traits of character have been inherited by his son. His father served in the Confederate Army, being a member of the Thirty-Sixth Regiment, Virginia Infantry.
     Mr. Muse married Miss Mary Richardson, of Roanoke County, and has a large family of bright and happy children. In the Masonic fraternity he has for years filled important positions, being at one time Worshipful Master of the Vinton Lodge, and has often been a representative of that Lodge in the Grand Lodge of Virginia. In politics he is, of course, a Democrat and a staunch and able member of the party, always ready and willing to contribute to its campaigns and to devote his energies to the upbuilding of its principles. In recognition of his valuable services, he has been made a member of the State Executive Committee, a position that always marks a man as a leader and a wise counselor. Mr. Muse and his wife are members of the Methodist Church.
Transcribed by:
Peggy Luce

 



Return to

Roanoke County

Virginia

Genealogy Trails

Copyright © Genealogy Trails
All data on this website is Copyright by Genealogy Trails with full rights reserved for original submitters.