Roanoke County, Virginia Genealogy Trails


Biographies
"W"

CHARLES WILLIAM WADE

     Charles William Wade, the subject of this sketch, was born in Roanoke County, Virginia, August 6th, 1860, and was one of nine children born to Thomas Isaac and Fannie Catherine (Chaffin) Wade. His grandfather, A. Jackson Wade, settled in Roanoke County in the foot-hills of the mountains west of Cave Spring, several years before the Civil War.

     When the war broke out he enlisted in Company E, Thirty-Sixth Virginia Volunteer Infantry. He was wounded during the war and afterwards died at Pearisburg, Virginia. His son, John Wade, an uncle of the subject of this sketch, was also killed while fighting for the Confederate cause. He was a member of Company E, Forty-Second Virginia Regiment, known as the "Dixie Grays." James N. Wade, another uncle served throughout the war, and returned to Roanoke County. He enlisted at the age of sixteen years, and now resides at Norfolk, Virginia.

     In his boyhood the parents of Charles William Wade removed to Rockbridge County and later to Lynchburg. After attending the public schools he was employed by John P. Pettyjohn, a general contractor with whom he learned his trade. With the completion of the Shenandoah Valley Railroad, he came to Roanoke and assisted in the building of the first fifty houses, constructed by the Roanoke Land & Improvement Company.

     He made the straight edges used by the stone masons in laying the foundations for the Roanoke Machine Works. For a period of seventeen years he was with the Norfolk & Western Railway as hotel carpenter and inspector. In 1905 he resigned his position with the railroad and began general contracting. A year later he formed a co-partnership with Levi C. Rhodes and has since done a general contracting and building business, under the firm name of Rhodes & Wade.

     Since that time Mr. Wade has superintended the construction of the new passenger depot at Bedford City, the West End Offices of the Norfolk & Western Railway, the fine residences of A. G. Crosby, H. M. Darnall, W. H. Hayes, E. G. Orell, and others.

On March 26th, 1884, he married Sallie V. Eubank, daughter of George H. and Catherine Virginia Eubank of Lynchburg, Virginia. To this union three children were born; namely, Julia Edna, married to R. C. Elliott; Clyde Preston; and Annie Bryan, married to George H. Davies.

Fraternally he is a member of the Knights of Pythias, and religiously a communicant of Greene Memorial Methodist Church. The parents of Charles William Wade died in Lynchburg, Virginia, and both were buried in the same grave on Christmas Day, December 25th, 1885.

[History of Roanoke County by George S. Jack, Edward Boyle Jacobs; published 1915; Submitted to Genealogy Trails by Andrea Stawski Pack.]

 


ROSCOE CONKLIN WERTZ
      Roscoe Conklin Wertz, the eldest son of Kyle’s Griffin and Lutie J. (Poage) Wertz, was born June 7th, 1880 near Poages Mill, in Roanoke County. When a boy, he attended the country schools and the Botetourt Normal College, at Daleville, Virginia; also taking a training course at the Virginia Polytechnic Institute in Crop Pest Commission Work, after which he was appointed State Inspector of Virginia, since which time he has been looking after the orchards and nursery work of the Stat e, appointing inspectors and doing all in his power to rid the valuable orchards o f Virginia of the various pests with which they have been afflicted for many years.

      Besides his work as a state officer, he has had charge of the Wertz plantation and apple orchards for eighteen years, or since the death of his father in 1893. On this plantation are 1.800 apple trees composed largely of pippins and other leading commercial varieties. A few of these trees were planted before the marriage of Kyle’s Griffin Wertz, his father, and the orchard has grown from a few trees planted prior to 1879, when he was married, to one of the largest producing commercial orchards in the county. He kept up the planting of trees every year until his death. This is one of the oldest orchards on Back Creek, and on the plantation and situated near the family residence are a number of trees over one hundred years old, having been planted by Levi Hays, one of the first settlers of the Back Creek Section.

      The Wertz family originally came from Pennsylvania. Kyle’s Griffin Wertz, a son of John Wertz, was born July 19th, 1846, and died November 9th, 1903. His life was practically spent on the farm on which he was born and reared.

      On what was termed the "Sixteen Roll Call," he went into the Confederate Army, serving until the close of the war. On January 23d, 1879, he married Lutie J. Poage, daughter of George and Ellen Poage. They picked their first load of pippin apples from young trees planted by Mr. Wertz in 1880, all of which were held in a single wagon body. During the past eight years the Wertz orchards have yielded good crops, not a failure being recorded during that time, the average being about one thousand barrels per year. Besides Roscoe Conklin Wertz, the subject of this sketch, other children born to Kyle’s Griffin and Lutie J. Wertz were Nora E., married James L. Richardson; Sylvia; Myrtle, married W. D. Hunt; Oscar; Roy; Maynard; Beulah; Otho, and Marvin—the last two deceased.

 [Virginia and Virginians:  History of Volume 2; by Robert Alonzo Brock, Virgil Anson Lewis; publ.  1888; transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack]

 


JEFFERSON H. WILKINSON
     Jefferson H. Wilkinson, the subject of this sketch, was born in Bedford County, Virginia, October 27th, 1853. He is a son of Jefferson H. and America (Noell) Wilkinson, both natives of Bedford County.
His grandfather, Captain Joseph Wilkinson was born in Bedford County, Virginia, also, and when the war of 1812 broke out with Great Britain, he commanded a company of infantry from Virginia. He was a farmer, as was his son, Jefferson Wilkinson, Sr., the latter dying at his Bedford County home, at the age of twenty-three years. He was survived by his widow who died six years later, or in 1859, leaving an only child, the subject of this sketch, an orphan. He was reared by a maiden aunt, Fannie G. Wilkinson, who died July 12th, 1895. Captain James Noell, his maternal grandfather was a soldier in the War of 1812.
     When a boy, he attended the country schools, and a private school taught by the late William G. Claytor. For five years he was a country school-teacher, but removed to Roanoke in 1887, where he successfully conducted a planning mill for several years. Later he established his present business, that of dealing extensively in lumber, sash, doors, blinds, and building material. In addition to a large jobbing trade, which extends over Southwest Virginia, he carries an immense retail trade in Roanoke and vicinity.
He married Bettie Noell, of Christiansburg, in 1877. She died in 1888, and two years later, on October 30th, 1890, he married Carrie L. Byrd, daughter of William A. and Clarinda Byrd, of Roanoke. The following children were born to bless this union: Annie C., Frank L., Walter H., Clarinda, and J. H. Wilkinson Jr., (deceased).
     Mr. Wilkinson ably represented his ward in the City Council from 1899, for three consecutive terms. When under the new constitution, the Bi-cameral Council was instituted in Roanoke, he was elected from Highland Ward as an Alderman, and served as President of that body.
He is a member of Greene Memorial Methodist Church and for many years was a member of the Board of Stewards.
[History of Roanoke County by George S. Jack, Edward Boyle Jacobs; published 1915; Submitted to Genealogy Trails by Andrea Stawski Pack.]


STEPHEN THOMAS WOOD
Son of Samuel G. and Amanda (Gish) Wood, of Roanoke county, was born in that county on April 24, 1847. He is the grandson of Rev. Stephen Wood, who was a distinguished citizen of Franklin county, Virginia, where he served for many years in the offices of magistrate and high sheriff. Although only eighteen years of age when the war between the States was ended, the subject of this sketch had then seen one year's service, in Griffin's battery, Hardaney's battalion, Army of Northern Virginia. His parents still live in Roanoke County, his father now 70 years of age. He came to Lynchburg, and was first engaged as book-keeper for a grocery firm. For the past twelve years he has been connected with the People's National Bank, for which he is teller. In Lynchburg, November 20, 1878, Rev. A. C. Bledsoe officiating, he married Emma, daughter of Robert and Mariah L. (Thurman) Mays. She was born in Lynchburg, March 8, 1853. Her father died on October l9, 1884; her mother is still living in Lynchburg at the age of 70 years. The record of the children of Mr. and Mrs. Wood is: Stephen Hervey, born October -28,1879; Mariah Louisa, born February 7,1881, died March 8th following; Robert Gilbert, born September 30, 1882; Alice Latham, born September 10,1886.
Source:  Virginia and Virginians:  History of Volume 2; by Robert Alonzo Brock, Virgil Anson Lewis; publ.  1888; transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack


WOODS, JAMES PLEASANT
The subject of this sketch was born in Roanoke County, Virginia, February 4th, 1868. His father was William Woods and his mother, Sarah Jane (Edington) Woods. He is of Scotch-Irish descent on his father's side and English on his mother's side. He descended from Michael Woods, who settled in Albemarle County in 1734.
William Woods was First Lieutenant in a company which formed a part of the Fifty-fourth Virginia Infantry and served with distinction throughout the Civil War. James Pleasant Woods graduated at Roanoke College with first distinction, in the class of '92, was president of his class, and in 1891 made the highest average grade in college.
He studied law at the University of Virginia in 1892 and 1893, and began the practice in Roanoke, Virginia, with Judge C. B. Moomaw, as Moomaw & Woods.
In 1903 he became a member of the firm of Robertson, Hall & Woods, which continued until 1910, when Mr. Robertson was elevated to the bench. The present firm of Hall & Woods enjoys a commendatory practice and represents many of the leading corporations and industrial enterprises.
In politics, Mr. Woods is a Democrat. A member of the City Council for several years, mayor of the city from 1897 to 1899, a member of the State Central Committee and was a member of Governor's Swanson's staff.
In 1904 he was married to Miss Susie K. Moon, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Brekenridge Moon, of Chatham, Virginia, and they have two children, Elizabeth and Katherine, age four years.
Religiously he is a member of Greene Memorial Methodist Church, South.
[History of Roanoke County by George S. Jack, Edward Boyle Jacobs; published 1915; Submitted to Genealogy Trails by Andrea Stawski Pack.]


ROBERT F WYATT
     Robert F. Wyatt, who recently purchased the Berry store property, the Cave Spring and other properties at Cave Spring in Roanoke County, and who is now engaged in mercantile pursuits, was born near Martinsville, Henry County, Virginia, on June 16th, 1861, being a son of John Walter and Malinda H. (Scott) Wyatt. His paternal grandfather, Posey Wyatt, lived at Leatherwood, and his maternal grandfather Samuel Scott, was a native of Bedford County. Robert F. Wyatt attended the "old field" schools of Henry County in his boyhood. While he was an infant his father joined the Confederate Army, being a member of Company A, 24th Virginia Regiment. He was captured and died in Elmira prison in 1864. At the age of twenty, Mr. Wyatt located in Roanoke and was engaged in construction work on the Shenandoah Valley Railroad. He later assisted in building several branches of the Norfolk & Western, and was similarly engaged in work on the Atlantic & Danville and the Georgia, Carolina & Northern Railroads. In 1892 he returned to Roanoke and engaged in the construction of the city sewage system. The following January, he located in Washington, D. C., and was engaged in the construction of a railroad which failed, ruining him financially.
     In 1894 he went to Jamaica and assisted in building a railroad from Port Antonio to Kingston, afterwards spending two years in the West Indies and South America.
     After much travel he returned to Washington, D. C., in 1896, and engaged in installing the underground current for the Washington Street Railway System, and superintended the construction of the experiment and model tank of the Washington Navy Yard.
     On December 25th, 1898 he married Agnes E. Sandsbury, daughter of John T. and Sarah E. (Brown) Sandsbury of Prince George County, Maryland. From this union three children resulted: Violet R., born April 25th, 1900; Gracie H., born March 20th, 1901; Robert C., born April 8th, 1906.
    On September 30th, 1911, Mr. Wyatt with his interesting family moved to Cave Spring where he is now engaged in mercantile pursuits. He had just completed a handsome residence. He will also improve the "Cave Spring," the water of which possesses fine medicinal qualities.
Transcribed by: Peggy Luce

 



Return to

Roanoke County

Virginia

Genealogy Trails

Copyright © Genealogy Trails
All data on this website is Copyright by Genealogy Trails with full rights reserved for original submitters.