Washington Genealogy Trails

Clark County

Genealogy and History

Obituaries and Death Notices



Memorial service for Gladys M. Andrews will be at 3 p.m. Wednesday in First Presbyterian Church.

She died Saturday in a Vancouver nursing home.  She was 84

Mrs. Andrews was born in Norton, Kan., and had lived in Vancouver the last 60 years.  She was a homemaker.  Mrs. Andrews was a member of First Presbyterian  Church, Presbyterian Women’s Association, Vancouver Women’s Club, Girl Scout Council and Orthopedic Guild, all in Vancouver.  She also was a longtime volunteer worker in the blood program of the American Red Cross, Clark County Chapter.

Surviving are three daughter, Coralee Ann Heikkinen of Vancouver and Peggy L. Carpenter and Mary J. Young, both of Auburn; a brother, Thomas A. Raffety, of San Antonio, Texas; a sister, Aileen Stillwill of Seattle; eight grandchildren; and six great-grandchildren.

Burial will be private.

The family suggests that remembrances be contributions to either the First Presbyterian Church Memorial Fund, 4300 Main St., Vancouver 98663, or  the Vancouver Women’s Club Memorial Fund, c./o. Dagny Bowers, 3815 E. Evergreen Blvd. Vancouver 98661.

[The Oregonian (Portland, OR) – Wednesday, July 16, 1986]


On the 31st ult., at Fort Vancouver, John James Barclay, of a painful and lingering disease, subsequent to a severe attack of measles, aged two years and two months.  “For such is the kingdom of heaven.”

[Oregon Spectator (Oregon City, OT) – Thursday,  January 6, 1848]

BARNASON, Sarah (Sister Mary)

Sister Mary of the Blessed Sacrament, nee Sarah M. C. Barnason, a teacher at Providence academy, died at St. Peter's hospital Sunday morning at 4:30 o'clock, after an illness of about six months. The body was taken to Vancouver, Washington, yesterday where the funeral services will be held today.

Sister Mary came to the academy in September, 1914, and taught the intermediate grades until March, when she was taken ill and was confined to the hospital. She leaves relatives at Coeur d'Alene, Idaho, and at Vancouver, B. C. Sticklin had charge of arrangements.

[Morning Olympian (Olympia, WA), Tuesday, September 7, 1915 - Transcribed by Colleen Weeks Breeden]


Coroner’s Inquest – On Wednesday afternoon last, an inquest was held before Daniel Harvey, Coroner for the county of Vancouver, at the house of Henry E. Fellows, in view of the body of Thomas Baulinger, who was found dead the evening before in the said house.  The depositions of three witnesses having been taken and the body carefully examined by the jury, and post mortem examination made by Dr. Barclay, a verdict was returned: “died of apoplexy.”

From the evidence produced, it appears that the deceased had been subject to apoplectic fits for the last two years.

Fort Vancouver, 6th July, ‘48
[Saturday, July 15, 1848 - Oregon Free Press (Oregon City, OT)]

BOWERS, Galand

Galand N. Bowers died at the age of 67 in July 24, 2001 in Vancouver, Wash. Galand was born July 10, 1934 in Mangum, Okla. He lived for more than eight years in North Bonneville, Wash., and worked in customer service for Pacific Construction and Electric.

He and his wife, Loretta, were married 49 years. He owned a grocery store in Yountville, Calif., and worked for the last six years for the U.S. Forest Service at Skamania Lodge.
He was member of the Masonic Lodge 365 in Willets, Calif., and Glad Tidings Church in Vancouver, Wash. He as an active member of NRA and Ducks Ulimited. He had also served on the city councils of North Bonneville and Yountville.

Galand loved trap shooting and duck and pheasant hunting, fishing, gardening, and attending church.

He is survived by his wife, Loretta, and daughters Cynthia Mitchell of Cascade Locks, Ore., and Brenda Cramblett of Cascade Locks.

he is also survived by his brother, Edward Bowers of Colusa, Calif., and sister, Carol Errington of Concord, Calif., along with six grandchildren and one great-grandson. He was preceded in death by a grandson, Jake Mitchell, in 1983.

Services were held July 28 at Memorial Gardens Funeral Chapel, and he is buried at Stevenson Cemetery in Stevenson, Wash.

[Hood River News (Hood River, OR) - Friday, August 17, 2001 - JD - Sub by FoFG]


Auditor Brewster Dead -- Vacancy Left on Clarke County Ticket and Stickers Will Be Used.

Vancouver, Wash., Oct. 29.- William H. Brewster, county auditor of Clarke county, died at his home in this city last night, aged 58 years. He had been seriously ill but three days, having completed a tour of the county distributing supplies to the election boards. Coming home he was stricken down with illness and his death ensued quickly. An autopsy showed the cause to be inward cancer.

Mr. Brewster was well known in this section, having been a continuous resident of Vancouver for twenty years. He was born in England in 1844. He was formerly connected with the army, but resigned and entered the merchandise business in this city.

[Morning Olympian (Olympia, WA), Thursday, October 30, 1902 - Transcribed by Colleen Weeks Breeden]



At Vancouver, W.T., June 29, Mary May Brockway, only daughter of Dr. H. L. and Caroline Brockway, aged 5 months and 11 days.

[The Oregon Argus (Oregon City, OR) – Saturday, July 16, 1859]

BROWN, Charles

President and Cashier of Suspended Institution Found Dead

Vancouver, Washington, April 21.- Charles Brown and E.L. Canby, president and cashier, respectively of the First National bank of this city, which was forced to suspend yesterday, committed suicide last night two miles from here. Their bodies were found this morning.

["Daily Gazette and Bulletin", Williamsport Pennsylvania April 22, 1901 - Sub. by Shauna Williams]

BURGY, Augustus

Vancouver, Wash. – Augustus L. Burgy, a well-known pioneer of this city, died at his home in this city a short time ago, after a lingering illness with stomach trouble. Deceased was born in France and came with his parents to Vancouver when an infant and has lived in Vancouver the greater part of his life since. For a number of years he was a prominent member of the volunteer fire department and was employed for some time by the city in charge of the street work. He leaves a wife and several young children besides two brothers and several sisters, all residents of this city.

[The Spokesman Review, Aug. 30, 1907, Spokane, Washington - Sub. by Robyn Greenlund]

BURT, Dr. J. M.

Pioneer Physician Dies
Vancouver, Wash., Nov. 12.- Dr. J. M. Burt, for ten years coroner of this county, and a pioneer citizen, died yesterday afternoon in his city. Dr. Burt was 72 years old. He came to this state in 1864 and settled in Vancouver, where he practiced medicine for nearly forty years. At one time he was the only physician in the northern part of the county.

[Morning Olympian (Olympia, WA), Friday, November 13, 1903 - Transcribed by Colleen Weeks Breeden]


President and Cashier of Suspended Institution Found Dead

Vancouver, Washington, April 21.- Charles Brown and E.L. Canby, president and cashier, respectively of the First National bank of this city, which was forced to suspend yesterday, committed suicide last night two miles from here. Their bodies were found this morning.

["Daily Gazette and Bulletin", Williamsport Pennsylvania April 22, 1901 - Sub. by Shauna Williams]


Judge Dunbar's Brother Dead
Passed Away in Vancouver Sunday Noon-Was an Oregon Pioneer.

Hon. W. R. Dunbar, register of the United States land office at Vancouver and a brother of Supreme Justice R. O. Dunbar, died at his home Sunday noon. Judge Dunbar left yesterday to attend the funeral services.

W. R. Dunbar was born in Illinois, in 1839, and came west overland with his parents in 1846, locating in the Waldo Hills, near Salem, Oregon, where he grew to manhood, working on his father's farm. He secured a rudimentary education, and finally began teaching school in the district in his neighborhood. After a few years he went to Dallas, Ore., where he engaged in the mercantile business. In 1863 he entered the First Oregon infantry, being the first man to enlist. He was made a second lieutenant of Company A. He served at various points, among others at Vancouver barracks. During 1865 and 1866 he was stationed at Siletz blockhouse on Yaquina bay.

He left the army in 1866 and entered the Indian service as teacher and clerk. He gave excellent satisfaction to the government in all his work. For a number of years he was grand chief Templar and lecturer of the grand lodge of Oregon Good Templars, and in 1870 served in the Oregon legislature from Marion county. In 1879 he removed to Goldendale, in Washington territory, where he made his home since that time with the exception of the time he has been at Vancouver, since 1898. From April, 1882, until January, 1891, he was probate judge, but this office being abolished in that year, he was appointed United States commissioner, which place he held until 1898, when he was appointed register by President McKinley, and was reappointed by President Roosevelt in 1902, having given excellent satisfaction in the office.

Judge Dunbar was a prominent member of the Odd Fellows, having served as grand master of the order, past grand master, and for six terms was representative to the grand lodge.

He died poor, comparatively, always being free-hearted and freely giving to charity. He leaves a wife, but no children, a son having died in Goldendale some years ago. Besides Judge R. O. Dunbar, he has a brother, O. W. Dunbar, who is publishing a paper at Pendleton, Ore. Judge Dunbar was universally respected by a large circle of friends all over the coast. He was conscious to the last, and was cheerful during his long illness.

Funeral services will be held at the house on Tuesday at 2 p.m. The remains will be taken to Salem for interment, on the train which leaves Portland at 8:30 on Wednesday morning.

[Morning Olympian (Olympia, WA), Tuesday, March 31, 1903 - Transcribed by Colleen Weeks Breeden]

DERBY, Grant

Age 77, May 11, 1963, at Vancouver, Wash. Born March 2, 1886, at Utica, Neb. Lived the past 45 years in Vancouver and formerly of Portland, Ore. Resided at 4100 Fruit Valley Road. Cousins, Nellie Derby Collins, of Portland, Ore., and Mrs. Alvin (Ida Mae) Daily, Willamina, Ore. Friend, Don Avery, Sandy, Ore. Funeral services at 11 a.m. Wednesday May 15, at the Vancouver Funeral Chapel with the Rev. Hans Mattson officiating. Interment in Evergreen Memorial Gardens. Vancouver Funeral Chapel is in charge of arrangements
Funeral services are scheduled for 11 a.m. Wednesday at The Vancouver Funeral Chapel for Grant A. Derby, 77, a 45-year resident of Vancouver, who died here Saturday.
Officiating will be the Rev. Hans Mattson. Interment will be held in the Evergreen Memorial Gardens.

A former resident of Portland, Ore., Derby came to Vancouver in 1918. He lived at 4100 Fruit Valley Rd. Derby was born in Utica, Neb., March 2, 1886.
He is survived by two cousins.

[Submitted by Dianne Harsh]

DRUCK, George

Crushed To Death
Tuesday morning a young man named George Druck, aged 17 years, met with a horrible death at the saw mill of his father, about five miles above Vancouver, W. T. The particulars are as follows: the storm of the 9th inst. Had blown down a portion of the mill flume, leaving the remainder in such a condition as to endanger the safety of the mill, and it was determined to tear it down. Tuesday morning the work was commenced, ropes were made fast to the flume for the purpose of hauling it down, and during the course of the work a huge piece of timber became displaced and hung across the flume, swinging to and fro and imperiling the lives of the men at work. Young Druck, with the intention of cutting the log to which the rope was made fast, started down a ravine with an axe, but after striking a dozen blows the piece of time, losing it balance, descended, and though Druck endeavored to escape, he stumbled and fell and it struck him on the head crushing the skull and killing him instantly. His parents who witnessed his tragic death hastened to his side, but found him dead on reaching him. The body was removed to the residence of the parents and was buried Wednesday. – Standard

[The Eugene City Guard (Eugene, OR) – Saturday, January 24, 1880 - JD - Sub by FoFG]

ESTES, Charles

Charles Boyd Estes passed away at home in the arms of his wife of 55 years, Margaret (Mickie) Callahan Estes. Born Valentines day 1925, at home on the family homestead on the Little Powder River in SE Montana, Boyd joined his parents Roy C Estes and Lucielle Malley Estes and siblings Charla and Roy Dunlap Estes. He spent his childhood working the cattle ranch with his father . He attended the area's one room country school until his oldest sister entered high school. The family moved into Broadus Montana during the school year and returned to the ranch during the summer. He was a cowboy, a basketball star, a theater student and a newspaper reporter during his childhood and school career. He moved to the west coast around 1942 to work as a draftsman for the Boeing Co. He attended the University of Washington and lived in an old fashion boarding house in the Seattle area. He met the love of his life there, Margaret Mary Callahan. They married in August 1951 and had 9 children between 1952 and 1965. Boyd was an elementary school teacher and a elementary school psychologist for the Auburn and Evergreen School Districts of  Washington state. He inspired 5 of his 9 children to enter the education field in various area. He was honest and true and devoted to his wife and children and his very special 17 grandchildren who called him "Papa".

["The Oregonian", Portland, Multnomah County Oregon - Sub. by Teresa Estes-Waller]

FEYMA, Mable

Mable Emma Feyma died July 28, 2006 at the age of 94. She was born in Brock, TX in 1911 and moved to Ventura, CA at the age of 19. She married and raised her family in Ventura, CA, then moved to Washington State in 1962. Mable was preceded in death by her husband, Clarence, in 1975. She is survived by her four daughters, Wanda Heberer and husband, Maurice, Marilyn Zeck and husband, Wayne, Marzell Corigliano and husband, Frank and Dellene Feyma. Also survived by six grandchildren, 13 great-grandchildren and three great-great-grandchildren. A memorial service will be held on August 5, 2006 at the Mountain View Christian Center, 2810 NE 259 St., Ridgefield, WA 98642.

[Source: Columbian (Vancouver, Washington) 1 Aug. 2006; sub. by Marla Zwakman]

FORD, Francell

July 7, 1918 ~ July 15, 2009

Francell "Tiny" Ford, 91, died July 15, 2009, in the company of family in the home of her daughter, Susan Ford, in Vancouver, Washington. She was born July 7, 1918, in Salt Lake City, Utah, and graduated from West High School in 1936 in Denver, Colorado.

Tiny married Rocky Ford in a chapel at Camp Hale, Colorado in 1943. They raised their family in Colorado, New Mexico, California, Grants Pass, Oregon, and moved to Vancouver in 1968.

Tiny enjoyed drawing, painting, sewing, crafts, and gardening.

Survivors include three daughters, Francell Mannan of Roseville, CA, Bette Ford and Susan Ford of Vancouver; three sons, Rocky of Tigard, OR, Roy of Vancouver and Rick Curnow of Des Moines, WA;18 grandchildren; 21 great-grandchildren; and five great-great-grandchildren.

We love her and will always remember her family gatherings, art work, afghans, beach combing, 4th of July celebrations at the Fort, loving greeting cards, and dancing to Curtis Salgado.

A service will begin at 3:00 p.m., Sunday, July 19, 2009 at Evergreen Memorial Gardens Funeral Chapel.

[Source: The Columbian (Vancouver, WA) - Saturday, July 18, 2009]

FORD, Robert

A graveside service will be at 2 p.m. Saturday, Feb. 8, 1997, in Evergreen Memorial Gardens Cemetery in Vancouver, Wash., for Robert Henry 'Rocky' Ford, who died Feb. 1 at age 79.

Mr. Ford was born March 25, 1917, in Coalgate, Okla. He served in the U.S. Army during World War II. Mr. Ford was a jockey in Rocky Ford, Colo., exercised horses for celebrities, including Tommy Dorsey, Bing Crosby and Don Ameche. He also was a sheet-metal worker for Garon Co. and retired in 1979 from Vancouver Roofing and Sheet Metal Co. In 1943, he married Francell. They moved to Grants Pass and in 1968 to Vancouver.

Surviving are his wife; sons, Rick Curnow of Kent, Wash., Rocky of Tigard and Roy of Vancouver; daughters, Francell Mannan of Loomis, Calif., Bette of Vancouver and Susan of Battle Ground, Wash.; brother, Roy of Oklahoma; sister, Opal Brazier of Escondido, Calif.; 18 grandchildren; and nine great-grandchildren.

The family suggests remembrances to Parkinson's Center of Oregon. Arrangements are by Evergreen Memorial Gardens.

[Source: The Oregonian (Portland, OR) - Thursday, February 6, 1997]


Aged Vancouver Resident Dead.
Vancouver, Wash, Dec. 1.- Mrs. R. H. Frazier, an old resident of Vancouver, died today at the home of her daughter, Mrs. John McGinnis. Mrs. Frazier was 72 years old and has resided in this country for thirty years. She will be buried today at 2 o'clock.

[Morning Olympian (Olympia, WA), Wednesday, December 2, 1903 - Transcribed by Colleen Weeks Breeden]


Funeral Services Are Held For Le Roy French
Funeral services for Le Roy French, of Vancouver, son-in-law of Mr. and Mrs. E. M. McClintie of this city were held yesterday at the Masonic cemetery where the body was taken immediately after the arrival here on the Port Townsend Southern. Rev. R. M. Hayes conducted the services. There were a great many floral pieces among which was the one sent by the Vancouver Elks, as well as the piece of the local Elks. A number of members of the local lodge attended as well as the members of the Eastern Star of this city, Mrs. French being a member of the local chapter. Mr. French was the son of Representative and Mrs. E. L. French, of Vancouver, Washington.

[Morning Olympian (Olympia, WA), Tuesday, September 19, 1911 - Transcribed by Colleen Weeks Breeden]


Murder – Two Men Killed

We learn that a difficulty occurred near Fort Vancouver, on the 5th inst., between A. M. Short and Dr. David Gardner, in relation to a land claim, which both parties pretended to hold, which resulted in the death of Dr. Gardner, and a Kanaka, who was in the Doctor’s service.  The stories we have heard [?] conducting, and we are at a loss what to believe.  The parties, however, seemed to have become embroiled in a fight, in which Short shot Gardner and a Kanaka, the latter dying immediately and the former surviving till 3 o’clock, next morning.  Short is in custody, and the matter awaits a legal investigation.  In the mean time we forbear comment.
[Oregon Spectator (Oregon City, OT) – Thursday, April 18, 1850]


John D. Geoghegan, of Vancouver, died last night. He has been a prominent citizen of this state, having been a member of the first legislature and was the author of the apportionment bill. He was a republican in his politics and has been prominent in the party. He was chairman of the Spokane convention in 1894.

[Morning Olympian (Olympia, WA), Saturday, June 20, 1896 - Transcribed by Colleen Weeks Breeden]


Following an extended period of failing health, August Gustafson, 84, died last evening at his home in Brush Prairie. A native of Sweden, he came to the United States at the age of 19 years to settle in Minnesota, and in 1901 he moved to Lacrosse, Wash., where he engaged in wheat farming for 18 years. The family moved to Brush Prairie 19 years ago.

A member of the Lutheran church, Mr. Gustafson is survived by his widow, Mrs. Anna Gustafson of Brush Prairie to whom he was married 57 years; two sons, Justin and Pete Gustafson of Vancouver, and five daughters, Mrs. Clara Andreassen of Moscow, Ida., Mrs. J.I. Wigen of Lacrosse, Wash., Mrs. Augusta Arntzen and Mrs. J.A. Remertson of Portland and Mrs. A.C. Palmer of Los Angeles.

The body is at Limber's chapel pending funeral arrangements.

[The Columbian, Vancouver, WA, Wednesday September 1, 1937 - Sub. by Robyn Greenlund]

HALL, Elizabeth


At Vancouver, W.T., on the 11th inst., Elizabeth Hall, daughter of Washington Hall, aged about 8 years.

[The Oregon Argus (Oregon City, OR) – Saturday, March 26, 1859]

HICKS, Louisa

Mrs. Louisa Hicks Meets Death on Northern Pacific Tracks.

Mrs. Louisa Hicks was instantly killed yesterday afternoon on the Northern Pacific railroad tracks just below the Ridgefield Hotel by being struck by O.W.R.& N. north bound passenger train No. 370, which is due here at 2:51 o'clock.

Mrs. Hicks who for the past four months has been keeping house for Mr. A. A. Knox who lives about a mile south near the railroad, was in town doing some shopping and was on her return home on the tracks when a freight train on the south bound track was passing. She was standing on the north bound track watching the train pass when the passenger train came around the curve and was upon her before she had time to escape.

She was struck and her body thrown with terrific force against the bulkhead which is built at that point to hold back the steep bank, and her head was crushed on the timbers and her brains scattered along the track. Besides this almost every bone in her body was broken.

Coroner Knapp, of Vancouver was notified by telephone and he ordered the body removed from the tracks and it was taken to a vacant house on Third Street belonging to Mr. and Mrs. Steve McAndrew. Coroner Knapp arrived on the next train and after investigation decided that an inquest was unnecessary and he prepared the body for burial.

Mrs. Hicks was a widow and leaves two sons, Charles of this place and John of Woodland. She also has three daughters, Mrs. W-gner, and Mrs. Clanton, of Portland, and a daughter who lives in California.

Arrangements for the funeral have not yet been made but she will probably be buried here.

[Ridgefield Reflector, Clark County, Washington, March 22, 1912, Vol. 3, No. 24]

[Note: Burial was made in the I.O.O.F. cemetery. Louisa Hicks was the former Louisa Walton of PA. & Adams Co., Illinois. Submitted by "A Friend of Free Genealogy"


Word has been received of the death a former resident of this community.
Mrs. George Holeton died, after a brief illness, May 18, in Vancouver, Washington. She will be remembered as Mable Glass, who taught school in the town of Holton. Mr. and Mrs. Holeton visited here a little more than a year ago.

[Source: Abbotsford Tribune (Abbotsford, Clark County, Wis.) Thursday, 13 July 1950; transcribed by Marla Zwakman]

JENKINS, Unknown

Homicide At Fort Vancouver – On Friday last, we learn, an altercation took place between a Mr. Jenkins, a wagon master, formerly in the employment of government, and a half-breed, which resulted in the death of the former.  The circumstances of the affair are something like the following: The dispute arose as to the proprietorship of a house, belonging to a person in California; each claiming to be the agent of the absentee; a melee ensued, whereupon the half-breed plunged a knife into the side of his antagohia – death followed in an hour after.

The half-breed is under arrest to await a hearing at the next meeting of the court.
[Source: Oregon Spectator (Oregon City, OT) – Thursday, September 12, 1850]

Mother Joseph, S. H.

Mother Joseph Dead. -- Was Founder of the First Catholic School in the Northwest.

On Sunday January 19, at 4 o'clock p.m., there died at the Provincial house of the Order of the Sisters of Charity, Vancouver, Washington Mother Joseph, S. H., well known all over the northwest.

Deceased came to this coast in 1856, laid the foundation of the first Catholic school, at Vancouver, and since then has superintended the erection of nearly all the academies, hospitals, and orphanages of the order which extend throughout the states of Washington, Oregon, Idaho and Montana and also through British Columbia. The Sisters Superior of Providence Academy and St. Peters' Hospital have gone to attend the funeral. Private services will be held in the convent chapel on Wednesday, and on Thursday Pontifical high mass and funeral services will be conducted at St. James cathedral by Rt. Rev. Ed. Jno. O'Day.

[Morning Olympian (Olympia, WA), Wednesday, January 22, 1902 - Transcribed by Colleen Weeks Breeden]


Rev. Lewis H. Judson, who landed in Vancouver, on the first day of June 1840, died on the fourth of March, aged seventy-two years. He was one of Rev. Jason Lee’s party of missionaries who sailed from New York in October 1839, on the ship Lausanne.

[The Eugene City Guard (Eugene, OR) – Saturday, April 16, 1881- JD - Sub by FoFG

LEFFEL, Arnold

Name: Arnold Albert Leffel
Born Feb. 2, 1921, in Wien, Wisconsin
Died Tuesday, June 29, 1999, at Oregon Health Sciences University Hospital in Portland
Cause of death: heart disease
Employment: paint mixer for General Motors for 29 years
Survivors: Wife of 54 years, Dorothy, sons, Kenneth and William, brothers, Arthur and Elmer, sisters, Alma Bauman and Ruth Shuchart
5 grandchildren; 3 great-grandchildren
Military: veteran of the Army Air Corps World War II
Burial: Evergreen Memorial Gardens Cemetery

[Source: Columbian (Vancouver, Washington) 1 July 1999;abstract, sub. by Marla Zwakman]


Well Known Manufacturer Expires in Vancouver of Pneumonia.
J. M. K. Letson, of the firm of Burpee & Letson in this city and of Letson & Burpee, Vancouver, died last night at Vancouver from pneumonia. Mr. Letson was about forty years old. He was manager of the business of Letson and Burpee and had been in this city many times.

[Bellingham Herald (Bellingham, WA), Saturday, June 4, 1904 - Transcribed by Colleen Weeks Breeden]


Mrs. Leverich Dead – Dr. and Mrs. M. G. Howard, of Eugene, were called to Vancouver, Wash., Friday to attend the funeral of Dr. Howard’s aunt, Mrs. Anna Leverich, who died in Corvallis Wednesday, Jan. 29.  Mrs. Leverich had made her home for the past two years with Dr. Howard’s brother there.  Prior to that time she lived with the Howards here in Eugene for three years.  As a child of eight, she crossed the plains with her family, in ’52, in covered wagon, drawn by an ox team.  She did a good share of the driving herself.  For the past few years, she had been the only survivor of her family.

Attend Funeral – To attend the funeral services for the late Mrs. Anna Leverich, who died at Corvallis Wednesday, Jan. 29, Dr. and Mrs. M. G. Howard, of Eugene, were called to Vancouver, Wash., Friday.  Mrs. Leverich was an aunt of Dr. Howard, and made her home here for three years.  During the past two years she has been residing with another nephew, Dr. E. W. Howard of Corvallis.

[The Eugene Guard (Eugene, OR) - Saturday, February 1, 1930]



At Vancouver, Jan. 5, of dropsy of the brain, Kate, daughter of Elisha H. Lewis, aged 1 year and 3 months

[The Oregon Argus (Oregon City, OT) – Saturday, January 29, 1859]


Clarke County Pioneer Dies.
Vancouver, Feb. 2- O. M. Loomis, a pioneer resident of the county, died at his home near this city this week, aged 67 years. He has been ill for some time and his death was not unexpected. He leaves a widow and several children. He was a member of the Grand Army of the Republic and the funeral services were conducted under the auspices of that organization.

[Bellingham Reveille (Bellingham, WA), Friday, February 3, 1905 - Transcribed by Colleen Weeks Breeden]

MARBLE, Unknown

The Times of the 17th says the lifeless body of Mr. Marble was discovered on Saturday lying about fifty yards from his dwelling, in the neighborhood of Vancouver. When found, he was lying flat on his back, with both arms stretched out, while near at hand lay his gun and lantern. No marks of violence were visible upon his person, and it is supposed that he died of disease of the heart, caused by sudden emotion. He had gone into the woods on Friday night, to find out what his dog was barking at, and as the locality is infested with bears, cougars, panthers, etc., it is supposed that he came suddenly upon one of these beasts, and that the terrible alarm occasioned death.

["The State Republican" (Eugene City, OR) – Saturday, March 21, 1863]


A chef who worked for the Union Pacific Railroad for 37 years, Jack L. Mattox, 83, died Friday, Dec. 8, 2000, in Vancouver.

Mr. Mattox was born Sept. 29, 1917, in Vancouver and lived for many years in Clark County.

He graduated in 1924 from Glenwood School in Appleton, Wash.

He served four years in the U.S. Cavalry Corps. He enjoyed fishing, hunting and spending time with his family.

His wife, LaVerne, died in 1981.

Survivors include two daughters, Karen Lang and Dena Denise Rush, both of Vancouver; one son, Patrick Graves of Vancouver; one sister, Evelyn Perryman of Portland; one brother, John Mattox of Dallesport, Wash.; six grandchildren; and two great-grandchildren.

A funeral will begin at 1 p.m. Tuesday at St. Luke's Episcopal Church. Burial will be in Park Hill Cemetery. The casket will be open from noon to 8 p.m. Monday at Vancouver Funeral Chapel.

Memorial contributions may be made to Polio Outreach of Washington, P.O. Box 8235, Lacey, WA 98509-8235, or the charity of donor's choice.

[The Columbian (Vancouver, WA) - Sunday, December 10, 2000]

McINTOSH, Alexander

McIntosh Commited Suicide.
Vancouver, May 6.-The body found in the cabin in the vicinity of Washougal yesterday was that of Alexander McIntosh. The coroner's jury summoned by Justice Braum rendered a verdict of suicide. Both barrels of a shot-gun, which was found beside the body, had been emptied into the man's head. McIntosh was 89 years old.

[Morning Olympian (Olympia, WA), Sunday, May 7, 1899 - Transcribed by Colleen Weeks Breeden]



On 4th inst., John McIntosh, of the H. B. Company, Fort Vancouver, W.T., aged 19 years and 9 months.

[The Oregon Argus (Oregon City, OR) – Saturday, November 26, 1859]

McKAY, Catharine

DIED. On the night of the 30th ultimo, at Fort Vancouver, Catharine, wife of W.C. McKay. Her amiability and gentleness in life, and her resignation in death, had endeared her to many hearts, and a mourning husband and friends have now but the sad consolation that those who are loved on high, die early.

[Oregon Free Press (Oregon City, OT) - Saturday, June 03, 1848 - Sub by FoFG]

Died – On the 30th ult. At Fort Vancouver Catharine, wife of Wm. C. McKay.

Her amiability and gentleness in life, and her resignation in death, had endeared her to many hearts, and a mourning husband and friends have now but the sad consolation that those who are loved on high, die early.

[Oregon Spectator (Oregon City, OT) – Thursday, June 1, 1848]

McKAY, Thomas

DIED. At Vancouver, on the 25th ult, Thomas Archibald, son of W’m C. Mc Kay, of inflamation of the stomach, aged seven months.

[Oregon Free Press (Oregon City), November 04, 1848 - Sub by FoFG]

Harold McNab
Young Man Drowned – Harold McNab, 19 years old, was drowned in a Clarke county, W. T., stream a few days ago. The boat he and some others were in upset, and he was unable to get back to land. A few days before he learned that he had fallen heir to $1,000, in the States which now of course will go to others. His body has not been recovered.
[The Eugene City Guard (Eugene, OR) – Saturday, January 14, 1882 - JD - Sub by FoFG]

Alice Meyers
Mrs. Meyers is Dead.
Vancouver, Wash., June 7.-Mrs. Alice Meyers, who threw a lighted lamp at her sister, Miss Clara LaVoice, is dead from burns sustained by herself when the lamp exploded. The victim inhaled flames and nothing could be done for her. The sister, at whom the lamp was thrown, is in a serious condition.
[Morning Olympian (Olympia, WA), Friday, June 8, 1906 - Transcribed by Colleen Weeks Breeden]

George Miller
Death of George Miller, Formerly of Thurston
Vancouver, May 15.-George Miller, aged 42, died here Monday of pneumonia at the St. Joseph's hospital. He was born in Thurston county, Washington, January 9, 1860. He left no family other than several grown brothers, who are prominent citizens here.
[Olympia Record (Olympia, WA), Wednesday, May 15, 1907 - Transcribed by Colleen Weeks Breeden]

Henry Pierce

Death of Captain Pierce

Captain Henry Hubbard Pierce, first lieutenant, Twenty-first infantry, and well known as a translator and poetic writer, died at camp on Foster creek in Eastern Washington, July 24th.  Death was undoubtedly caused by the effect of the mountain air on his constitution, debilitated by a long illness.  Capt. Pierce left Vancouver barracks only two weeks ago in command of an exploring squad and was engaged in the work of exploration at the time of his death, of which details have not been received.  He was about forty years of age, and leaves a wife and four children at the barracks.

Capt. Pierce was author of the poem read at the last Commencement of the University at Eugene in June.
[The Eugene City Guard (Eugene, OR) – Saturday, August 4, 1883]

Thomas Redmond
They Were Pioneers
Vancouver, Wash. – Thomas Redmond, one of the oldest pioneers in this county, died at St. Joseph's hospital after a few days illness with pneumonia. Deceased was 73 years of age and was a native of Ireland. He came to Vancouver with the first soldiers and was employed as a teamster for the government. During his services in this capacity he had his feet badly frozen and lost his toes, for which he was given a pension by the government through a special act of congress on his behalf. For many years he owned a valuable block of city property on Seventeenth street, which he sold a few years ago, and has since made his home at the convent.
["The Spokesman Review", Sept. 6, 1907, Spokane, Washington - Sub. by Robyn Greenlund]

SUICIDE BY DROWNING – The *Oregonian* give the particulars of a suicide committed on Tuesday last, a short distance above Vancouver. At the last term of the Circuit Court for Union county, a man named Edward Simpson was found guilty of the crime of assult [sic] with intent to kill. He was sentenced by the Court to imprisonment in the penitentiary for two years. On Tuesday morning, accompanied by Sheriff Warnick, of Union county, Deputy Sheriff McDonald, and another prisoner named Dan Williams, Simpson started from the Dalles on his way to Salem. Although known to be a desperate man, it was never supposed that his desperation would lead him to contemplate self-destruction. He was heavily ironed (with a sixteen pound Gardner shackle around his ankle) and closely guarded. On his way down from the Cascades, and a short distance from Vancouver, Simpson desired the privilege of going down from the cabin to the deck. Sheriff Warnick never dreaming that Simpson meditated anything wrong, allowed the request. Leaving Deputy Sheriff McDonald to guard Williams, Warnick started with Simpson. The prisoner led the way, the Sheriff following but a few feet behind. No sooner had Simpson passed from the cabin door to the side of the boat than, without the least warning or motive but apparently that of self-destruction he leaped over the railing into the water. So quickly was the leap taken, that the Sheriff could not offer the least resistance to prevent the rash and fatal act. Simpson disappeared beneath the water as soon as he touched it, and was seen no more.

The alarm was given and the boat stopped as soon as possible, but all to no purpose. Fettered and weighed down by the shackle, no swimmer could keep himself afloat for a moment. After looking in vain for the body, the boat came on down.

[Willamette Farmer (Salem, OR) – Saturday, May 25, 1872 - JD - Sub by FoFG]

SMITH, Elton

SMITH – Elton M. Smith of 1145 Columbia Street, Vancouver, Washington, passed away at a local Rest Home Sunday, January 31, 1965 at the age of 69.  He was born December 31, 1892.  Complete funeral arrangements to be announce later by McGAFFEY'S EUGENE MEMORIAL CHAPEL.

[Monday, February 1, 1965 – The Eugene Register-Guard (Eugene, OR)]

STITH, Evelyn

Evelyn M. Stith died Tuesday in a Vancouver hospital at age 78.  At her request, there will be no funeral.

Mrs. Stith was born in St. Paul, Minn., and had lived in Battle Ground since 1945.  She was a retired employee in a family-owned insurance agency and accounting firm in Battle Ground and also sold auto licenses for the state in Battle Ground for more than 30 years.

Mrs. Stith was a member of the Beryl Rebekah Lodge 264, member and past royal matron of Vancouver Court of Amaranth, charter member and past worthy matron of Silver Light Chapter 243 Order of the Eastern Star of Battle Ground, past guardian of Bethel 38 of Job’s Daughters of Vancouver, past Rainbow grandmother of the Battle Ground Association, member of Daughters of the Nile of Portland, the Nile Club of Vancouver, American Association of Retired Persons and was former secretary of the Battle Ground Parent-Teach Association.

Survivors include her son, William A. of Anchorage, Alaska; brother, Harry Walcott of Lincoln City, Ore.; half-brother, R. Jack Walcott of Portland; five grandchildren and two great-grandchildren.

Disposition will be by cremation.

Remembrances may be contributions to the Shiners Hospital for Crippled Children, 3101 S.W. Sam Jackson Park Road, Portland 97201.

[The Oregonian (Portland, OR) – Friday, July 12, 1985]


Mrs. S. S. Sulliger Passes Away in Vancouver
Word has been received in this city of the death in Vancouver, of Mrs. S. S. Sulliger, wife of Rev. Sulliger of the district superintendent of the Vancouver district of the Methodist church. Mrs. Sulliger is well known in this city as she often accompanied her husband to this city, when making business visits to Olympia. Her death comes as a shock to her friends here.

[Olympia Record (Olympia, WA), Saturday, February 11, 1911. - Transcribed by Colleen Weeks Breeden]


Carl J. Thomas died Monday in his Vancouver home at the age of 63. At his request, no funeral will be held.

Mr. Thomas was born in Omaha, Neb., and had lived in Vancouver since 1974. He was a retired railroad conductor for Amtrak and had worked for various railroads for 38 years. Mr. Thomas was a member of the Oxford Athletic Club of Vancouver and the Elks and Eagles lodges, both in The Dalles, Ore.  Surviving Mr. Thomas are his wife, Betty; a son, Carl B. of Portland; a daughter, Sandra Lee of Salt Lake City; a sister, Shirley Armstrong of Omaha; three grandchildren; and one great-grandson.  Burial was in Evergreen Memorial Gardens Cemetery.  

[The Oregonian (Portland, OR) - Thursday, September 10, 1987: JD, Sub by FoFG]

VAN BIBER, Clarice

May 10, 1928 ~ July 13, 2010

Chris died at the Ray Hickey House in Vancouver, WA, after a battle with cancer. She was born to Henry and Marieta (Hodges) Loren in Tacoma, WA and attended Stadium High School and graduated from the University of Washington.

Chris was married to her college love, Charles E. DeLong, from 1950 until his death in 1985.

Although accomplished in numerous talents, her life was dedicated to family and service to others. While raising four children, she also taught flute and piano from home, and was active in a myriad of church, community and family events. Chris could play Chopin during the week, and wash diapers over the fire on a weekend family backpack trip.

The next wonderful chapter in her life was her marriage to George Van Biber in 1993. Along with George, Chris continued to delight in music, painting, swimming and travel. There were few places they did not visit, and George enjoyed singing accompaniment wherever he and Chris found a piano.

Her fulfilled life included such groups such as PEO, her piano group, First United Methodist and Messiah Lutheran churches, and Athenaeum.

Chris was a beloved wife, mother, friend, swimmer, painter, musician, and a purveyor of endless energy.

She is survived by her husband, George; her children, Paul (Bonnie), David (Mary), Mark (Susan) DeLong, Gretchen (David) Nelson; George's children, Susan Yoder, Gretchen Russell and Karen Hickey; her brother, Richard Loren; sister, Jane Halver; and numerous grandchildren.

A memorial service will be held at 11:00 a.m. on Sat., July 17, 2010, at Messiah Lutheran Church.

Memorials can be sent to Messiah Lutheran Church, tengrand.com (music scholarship), or the charity of your choice.

[The Columbian (Vancouver, WA) - Thursday, July 15, 2010]


Vancouver Relatives Attend Funeral of Mrs. Roy Vandervort

Mr. Roy Vandervort of Vancouver was called here Monday on account of the serious illness of his wife, who was here visiting her sister, Mrs. Abbie Sholtz. Mrs. Vandervort died Tuesday and the body was shipped to Vancouver Wednesday for burial. Relatives from out of town who came to attend the funeral services Wednesday were her aunt and uncle, Mr. and Mrs. O. L. Oakley; an aunt, Mrs. Geo. Diggs and grandmother, Mrs. M. A. Kinne from Shelton; her aunt and uncle, Mr. and Mrs. Ira Noble from Rignall; and cousin, Mrs. Clarence Saeger of Shelton.

Mrs. Vandervort's mother, Mrs. Jennie Purdy of Tomah, Wis., who has been here visiting for the past few months, Mrs. Vandervort's sister, Mrs. Abbie Sholtz, and the husband, Mr. R. Vandervort, left with the body for Vancouver.

[Morning Olympian (Olympia, WA), Friday, February 4, 1921 - Transcribed by Colleen Weeks Breeden]

Sister Vincent de Paul

Sister Vincent Dies in Vancouver
Word has been received here of the death in Vancouver of Sister Vincent de Paul, formerly connected with St. Peter's hospital in this city for many years. She had a large number of friends who will be grieved to hear of her death. Sister Vincent left here several years ago for Spokane and later removed to Vancouver. She passed away at the Home of Providence and the funeral was held from the convent chapel yesterday.

Sister Vincent was one of the first who came from Montreal, Quebec, to the Pacific coast, and may be better known as one of the five founders of the Northwest missions. While she has been feeble for some time past, she retained perfect use of her faculties until the last. She always loved to recall early years on the coast and was always interested in the growth and prosperity of the city of her adoption. On September 23, 1908, she celebrated the golden jubilee of her religious profession.

[Morning Olympian (Olympia, WA), Tuesday, December 1, 1908 - Transcribed by Colleen Weeks Breeden]


Famous Sound Pirate Hangs For Murder
Vancouver, Aug. 28.- Henry Wagner, known as the Flying Dutchman, was hanged today for the murder of Constable Westaway, at Union Bay, B. C. Wagner was robbing a store when surprised by two constables. Wagner killed one and was captured. The United States government had made a special appropriation of money for the capture of Wagner because of his many acts of piracy on Puget Sound.

[Olympia Record (Olympia, WA), Thursday, August 28, 1913 - Transcribed by Colleen Weeks Breeden]

WELCH, Thomas

Vancouver Man Dies.
Seattle, Sept. 16.-Thomas Welch, a wealthy real estate owner of Vancouver, was stricken with apoplexy in a public natatorium yesterday and died at the city hospital today without regaining consciousness. He was in Seattle negotiating a purchase of business property.

[Bellingham Herald (Bellingham, WA), Monday, September 16, 1912


Colored Veteran Dead.
Vancouver, Wash., Aug. 24.- Moses Williams (colored), retired ordnance sergeant United States army, formerly with the Ninth cavalry, was found dead in bed today. A coroner's jury rendered a verdict of death from natural causes. Williams was a veteran of the rebellion, and had 37 years' service to his credit at the time of his retirement, several months ago. Among his effects was a gold medal presented by the war department for conspicuous service. He had no family so far as known. He was over 50 years old.

[Morning Olympian (Olympia, WA), Friday, August 25, 1899 - Transcribed by Colleen Weeks Breeden]

WILSON, George

Vancouver Barracks, Wash., Jan. 12-Major George S. Wilson adjutant general of the department of the Columbia, died at 1 o'clock this morning after a comparatively short illness, the immediate cause of death being inflammation of the bowels. Major Wilson served in the Army of the Cumberland from May, 1861, to the end of the war in the Seventeenth Indiana volunteers. He was lieutenant and captain of the Twelfth infantry from July, 1887, to November, 1893, when he was appointed adjutant general by President Cleveland, and had been doing duty since at Vancouver Barracks as adjutant general of the department of the Columbia.

[Tacoma Daily News (Tacoma, WA), Tuesday, January 12, 1897 - Transcribed by Colleen Weeks Breeden]


Copyright © Genealogy Trails