Travel your Travels through the Past With
                    Genealogy Trails History Group

Jefferson County Washington
Genealogy and History

Obituaries and Death Notices

Charles C. Bartlett
A Port Townsend Merchant Dead.
PORT TOWNSEND, Wash., Jan. 13.-A telegram has just been received from Los Angeles saying that Charles C. Bartlett, of this city, senior member of the firm of C. C. Bartlett & Co., merchants, died in that city today. He was a resident of Port Townsend for over 30 years and was very wealthy. For many years he had been ailing. He leaves one son, Frank, who has charge of his business affairs.
[Saturday, January 14, 1893, Morning Olympian (Olympia, WA) - Transcribed by Jan Grant]

William Box, Sr.
WM. BOX, SR., DEAD. A Well Known Resident of Tacoma Passes Away at Port Townsend.
M. B. Crane, treasurer of the Odd Fellows general relief committee, received a telegram this forenoon from E. E. Gleason, noble grand of Mount Baker lodge, Port Townsend, announcing the death in that city of William Box, Sr., of Tacoma, who has been in Port Townsend all winter. The death occurred this morning at the residence of a married daughter of Mr. Box. Mrs. Box and an unmarried daughter were present. The telegram announced further that the body would be sent to Tacoma tomorrow morning on the steamer Kingston. Mr. Crane notified President R. H. Dickson, of the relief committees, who will arrange for the care of the body.
Mr. Box is well known in Tacoma as a contractor and builder. He has lived here about seven years. He superintended the work on the new court house, and has constructed a number of the business buildings of Tacoma. Mr. Box had not been in good health for some time previous to his trip to Port Townsend, and his death was not unexpected. He was 64 years of age, and was a member of an Odd Fellows' lodge at Virginia City, Nev., and of State Masonic lodge, Tacoma. Mr. Box leaves a widow, a married daughter at Port Townsend, an unmarried daughter, and a son, the latter William Box, Jr., employed in the car shops at Edison.
Although no definite announcement can be made today, it is understood that the funeral ceremonies will be conducted by the Masons and Odd Fellows.
[Friday, March 1, 1895, Paper: Tacoma Daily News (Tacoma, WA) - Transcribed by Jan Grant]

Major Quincy A. Brooks
Port Townsend, July 8.-Major Quincy A. Brooks, one of the oldest pioneers of the Northwest, passed away in this city today from senile decay. Major Brooks was prominent in history-making in the great Northwest territory, having been prominently identified with government service years before Washington was separated from the vast expanse known as Oregon territory. He was born in Washington county, Pa., on May 22, 1827. Twenty years after he graduated with honors from the Western university of Pennsylvania and immediately took up the study of law, being admitted to the bar in 1849 at Pittsburg, where he practiced until 1851.

By the time news of the boundless wealth of the Pacific slope reached the East and young Brooks was among the earliest to start West, making the tortuous trip to Portland by ox team, moving later to Olympia. He was the first United States attorney in the vast domain north of the Columbia to the British Columbia line, and was a member of the famous Cowlitz convention, which carved Washington out of Oregon territory.

Major Brooks was later general agent of the post office department for the entire coast and in 1886 was appointed collector of customs of this district, serving until Cleveland's first election.
[Wednesday, July 8, 1908, Bellingham Herald (Bellingham, WA), Transcribed by Jan Grant]

E. Carroll

PIONEERS WHO HAVE CROSSED THE RIVER -- Old Settlers of Johnson County Dying During the Year.
Sept. 1902- 27
E. Carroll, 87 years. Came to the county about 1850. Died at Port Townsend Washington.
[ Iowa State Press, Iowa City Iowa, August 20, 1903 - Submitted by Shauna Williams]

Jean Baptiste Deschamps

Port Townsend, Wash., March 15 -- Jean Baptiste Deschamps died this evening at the St. Johns hospital at the advanced age of 102, having been born in Paris, February 28, 1798. He was an inmate of the hospital for six years. He was a direct descendant of the famous Deschamps, who figured prominently in French history during the reign of Napoleon.
[Source: Idaho Statesman - March 16, 1900 - Submitted by Sandra Davis]

Alexander M. Fraser

PORT TOWNSEND, Wash., Sept. 14.-Alexander M. Fraser, 77, for ___ years an engineer on Puget Sound steamboats and tugs, died here yesterday after an illness of two years. Funeral services will be held here Thursday. A daughter, Mrs. F. P. O'Brien, is living in Olympia, Wash.
[Thursday, September 15, 1921, Morning Olympian (Olympia, WA) Transcribed by Jan Grant]

Sarah Hammond

Mrs. Sarah Hammond, one of the early settlers of Jefferson county and thrice a great-grandmother, died Friday, at the family residence, in Seattle, at the age of eighty-one years. The body was shipped to Port Townsend for interment Saturday. Mrs. Hammond was born in New York City and came West after the Civil war. She is survived by four sons, Benjamin, William, John and David Hammond, and four daughters, Mrs. Emma Hickey, Miss Mary Hammond, Mrs. Lee Baker and Mrs. S. H. Richardson. There are also eight grandchildren and three great-grandchildren.
Thomas M. Hammond, the husband and father, died at Port Townsend about twelve years ago. The family was among the honored pioneer residents of Jefferson county, and having lived for many years on one of the donation land claims originally located adjoining Port Townsend, in the early "fifties."
[Tuesday, October 6, 1914, Paper: Morning Olympian (Olympia, WA) - Transcribed by Jan Grant]

Lucinda Hastings

Port Townsend, March 31-After a lingering illness extending over a period of six months, death yesterday afternoon relieved the sufferings of Mrs. Lucinda Hastings, a pioneer of Port Townsend, and her death has caused general grief throughout the city, Mrs. Hastings bore the proud distinction of having been the first while woman to set foot in Port Townsend, and she has continuously resided here since February 19, 1852, when she came over the mountains with her husband, Loring B. Hastings, Sr., who died here June 11, 1881. Mrs. Hastings has always been prominent in religious and charitable work. Her funeral on Sunday afternoon at 2 o'clock will be under the auspices of the Good Templars , of which she was a leading member. [Saturday, March 31, 1894, Tacoma Daily News (Tacoma, WA) - Transcribed by Jan Grant]

Funeral of One of the First Settlers of Western Washington.
The funeral of Mrs. Lucinda Hastings well known to the early residents of Olympia, will take place today at Port Townsend. She and her husband, Loring B. Hastings, were in the first regular emigrant wagon train which started for Oregon in 1842, consisting of 16 wagons and 109 people. No wagon wheel had ever cut the sod of the country over which they proposed to go. With infinite difficulty the party advanced as far as the old trapping rendezvous on Green river, where half the wagons were dismantled, and the other half were abandoned at Fort Hall, on Snake river. Mr. and Mrs. Hasting arrived at Portland and remained till 1852 when they came in wagon over to Olympia and later settled in the wilderness where the city of Port Townsend now stands, and where Mr. Hastings has resided ever since.
[Sunday, April 1, 1894, Morning Olympian (Olympia, WA) - Transcribed by Jan Grant]

John Hayes
Death of Capt. Hayes
A dispatch from Port Townsend says, Capt. John Hayes died here suddenly on the 12th. He was eating his dinner at the time, and was taken suddenly ill and died almost instantly. Heart disease is the only supposed cause of his death. Capt. Hayes was for some time first officer of the Gussie Telfair, when she ran between Portland and Sitka. Subsequently he was promoted to the command of the steamship California, which position he held for several years with credit to himself, and to the satisfaction of the company. A few years ago he resigned his position and became captain of the steam tug Grappler. For some time past he has been acting as pilot on the cutter Wolcott. He leaves a wife and several children to mourn his loss. His family reside in Portland.
[The Coast Mail (Marshfield, Or.) May 17, 1879 pg. 2 - Sub. by Robyn Greenlund]

Ban Johnuson
No funeral arrangements have yet been made for Ban Johnuson who passed away at St. Peter's hospital after a several weeks' illness. He has for a number of years been a sufferer from epileptic fits and was brought to this city some time ago from Mason county, where he had been employed in the camps there. His home was in Port Townsend and his father is expected to arrive today to make arrangements for his burial.
[Tuesday, April 6, 1909, Olympia Record (Olympia, WA) - Transcribed by Jan Grant]

Wilbur Keesler
Wilbur Keesler younger son of Mr. and Mrs. David E. Keesler died on Wednesday at Port Townsend of injuries sustained in a logging accident near Port Townsend. The body will be brought to Olympia for interment and funeral arrangements will be announced later. The Jesse T. Mills Undertaking establishment will be in charge. Details of the accident have not yet been learned here. The deceased was well known in Olympia where he had many friends.
[Friday, June 28, 1918, Paper: Olympia Record (Olympia, WA), Transcribed by Jan Grant]

James Keymes


PORT TOWNSEND, Aug. 13.- James Keymes, a resident of Port Townsend since 1853, a lieutenant in Capt. Ebey's command that defended the settlements of the lower Sound section during the Indian troubles of 1855 and 1856, died at his suburban home Saturday, at the age of 84. Death was due to senile decline.
Lieut. Keymes was a native of Nova Scotia, and came to Puget Sound as a sailor. He has held many important offices in public life. The burial took place yesterday, under the auspices of the Jefferson County Pioneer association, with which the dean man was actively identified. He leaves sons and daughters and many grandchildren residing in this section.

[Monday, August 13, 1906, Olympia Record (Olympia, WA) - Transcribed by Jan Grant]

Dennis Lavigne

Dennis P. Lavigne
Nov. 23, 1944 - Nov. 29, 2006

Dennis P. Lavigne of Port Townsend died of cardiac failure. He was 62.

He was born to Claire Maynard and Mary Louise (Donlon) Lavigne in Spokane, where he grew up.

He married his wife, Lynda, in Spokane on Dec. 30, 1967.

The Lavignes moved to Anchorage, Alaska, and started their family.

In 1980, he moved to Port Townsend, where he was proprietor of Key City Lanes until 1999.

Most recently, he was a sales associate and finance manager for Courtesy Ford in Port Townsend.

Bowling, golfing and baseball were among his personal interests.

He and his wife were divorced.

Survivors include son and daughter-in-law Patrick and Sandy Lavigne of Raeford, N.C.; daughter and son-in-law Cynthia and Brady Scott of Juneau, Alaska; brothers Harold Lavigne of Nevada and Bill, Lavigne, Robert Lavigne and Jim Lavigne, all of Washington; and three grandchildren.

Services: Thursday, Dec. 7, 4 p.m. to 7 p.m., open house in Port Townsend Golf Club, 1948 Blaine St., Port Townsend.

Kosec Funeral Home, Port Townsend, is in charge of arrangements.
[Peninsula Daily News (Port Angeles, WA) - Tuesday, December 5, 2006 Contributed by Maurene Richard Miller]

Eleanor C. McCurdy

Eleanor Clack McCurdy died peacesfully February 19, 2004, in Seattle. Born September 26, 1913, in Havre, Montana, to Henry Earl and Margaret Turner Clark, she was one of six children. After graduating from Havre High School, Eleanor attended the University of Washington where she met and married Richard Francis McCurdy, native of Port Townsend, Washington, who became editor and publisher of the Port Townsend Leader newspaper. The family resided in Port Townsend where they became distinguished arts patrons and civic leaders. During her lifetime Eleanor was active in the Dr. Francis Delaney Guild of Children's Hospital, Community Concerts of America, Daughters of the American Revolution, S.L.A., and Alpha Gamma Delta soroity. In later years, she was a strong supporter of Centrum Arts and Jefferson General Hospital where she was memorials chairman for many years. Eleanor will be remembered as an elegant woman and gracious hostess who enjoyed social occasions with her many friends. She loved to read and possessed a remarkable vocabulary, a quick wit and an engaging sense of humor. An extensive traveler, she was proud to have visited most of the world's great art museums. Through her travels she met and enjoyed continuing friendships with people from all parts of the world. We will miss Eleanor and the lively spirit that always accompanied her. Eleanor was predeceased by her husband Richard in 1987, grandson Jason Andrew Lee in 1984, and is survived by sister margaret Clark Askew Cooper of Memphis, Tennessee and Whitefish, Montana; sister-in-law Barbara McCurdy Hill of Seattle; children Betsy Lee and husband Larry, Catherine Chatalas and husband John Ramsay of Seattle, Richard McCurdy, Jr. and wife Mary of Bainbridge Island; grandchildren Charles Lee of Sammamish, WA., Cassandra Lee, Houston, TX., Jody Chatalas and Helen Chatalas, both of Seattle; Winslow McCurdy, Bainbridge Island, Emma McCurdy and Beth McCurdy, London, England. She leaves two great grandsons and numerous nieces and nephews. Eleanor's last year was made comfortable by caregivers Tom and Marisol Kellough.

[Unknown newspaper, Feb. 28, 2004 - Submitted by Marla Snow]

Wm. Mills

A Pioneer Dead.
Port Townsend, Aug. 15. - Wm. Mills, one of Washington's oldest and best known pioneers, dropped dead last night, the result of a stroke of apoplexy, brought on by fears for the safety of a party of women who were being conducted through a raging forest fire from a camp in the woods. With difficulty the remains were removed and saved from incineration. The deceased was 76 years old and a native of England.

[Friday, August 16, 1895, Paper: Morning Olympian (Olympia, WA) - Transcribed by Jan Grant]


Arthur Phinney, a leading lumberman of Puget Sound since 1857, died at Port Ludlow on Monday, June 28. [May 28?]
[The East Oregonian (Pendleton, OR) Saturday, June 9, 1877]

A. A. Plummer
Port Townsend, Sept. 21-The funeral of the late A. A. Plummer, held here Sunday was one of the largest ever held in Port Townsend. It was conducted by the Masonic grand lodge, A. W. Frater, M. W. G. M., of Washington, being here to conduct the services in person. Grand Secretary P. M. Reed, of Olympia, was also here to assist Mr. Frater. Besides the Masonic lodge, Jefferson camp No. 1, Native Sons of Washington, Juan de Fuca lodge No. 47, Degree of Honor, A. O. U. W., Port Townsend, Chapter No. 14, Royal Arch masons, and members of the National Union participated in the services.
[Tuesday, September 21, 1897, Tacoma Daily News (Tacoma, WA) - Transcribed by Jan Grant]

Highland-News reached us that the oldest son of Dr. Gallus Rutz, formerly of this place, died on the 13th inst at Port Townsend, Washington.
[Edwardsville Intelligencer, Edwardsville Illinois - September 27, 1895 - Submitted by Shauna Williams]

Marcus A. Sawtelle
Sudden Death of Marcus A. Sawtelle.
Port Townsend, Washington., Nov 11-Marcus A. Sawtelle, receiver of the Port Townsend National Bank, died suddenly this afternoon on the steamer Sehome while en route to Seattle. Death was caused by heart failure. The deceased had been prominent for 40 years in Pacific coast mining and was moderately wealth. He came to Port Townsend five years ago from Montana, where he was prominent in politics. He was 60 years old.
[Thursday, November 14, 1895, Tacoma Daily News (Tacoma, WA), Transcribed by Jan Grant]

Christian Stichnoth
Funeral of C. H. Stichnoth.
The body of Christian Stichnoth proprietor of the Bank saloon, South Bellingham, who died at St. Joseph's hospital early Tuesday morning, will be shipped to Port Townsend tomorrow morning by W. H. Mock & Sons. John Siebenbaum, a brother-in-law of Mr. Stichnoth, arrived from Port Townsend this morning to make arrangements to have the body shipped. The funeral services will be conducted tomorrow afternoon by Chimakum Tribe, No 1, I. O. R. M., of Port Townsend, to which the deceased belonged. Mr. Stichnoth was also a member of Whatcom Aerie, No. 31 Fraternal Order of Eagles.
[Wednesday, May 29, 1907, Paper: Bellingham Herald (Bellingham, WA) - Transcribed by Jan Grant]

Senator D. F. Troy
Mr. and Mrs. Allen Weir Badly Hurt When Car Plunges Off Dock
Senator D. F. Troy, brother of P. M. Troy of Olympia, died at midnight last night as the result of an automobile accident in Port Townsend. Mrs. L. B. Troy, Mr. Troy's mother, and Mrs. and Mrs. Allen Weir, of Olympia, were in the machine when it plunged off the dock at Port Townsend. Word was received by P. M. Troy last night and he and Frank Weir immediately left by auto for Seattle to catch the early morning boat to Port Townsend. Allen Weir is reported to have been seriously injured. [
Friday, August 18, 1916, Morning Olympian (Olympia, WA) - Transcribed by Jan Grant]

Charles Wakeman
WAKEMAN'S DEATH. -- The First Member of the O. C. I. Alumni to Pass Away.
The accidental death, at Port Townsend, of Charles Wakeman, formerly of this city, chronicles the first break in the ranks of the Alumni of the Olympia Collegiate Institute, of which he was a member. Mr. Wakeman was a diligent student, and graduated from the business department.
On Sunday last the young man was hunting between Port Townsend and Port Discovery. In company with a friend he was riding a two-wheeled cart, holding a gun between them. A sudden jolt caused the gun to drop and go off. The charge entered his right breast and shoulder, inflicting wounds which proved fatal. The operation of transfusion was performed without apparent benefit to the sufferer. Young Wakeman was a prominent athlete and leader among the local footballists. He was conscious to within a few moments of his demise.
[Thursday, October 19, 1893, Morning Olympian (Olympia, WA) - Transcribed by Jan Grant]

Capt. Henry Webber
Captain Henry Webber Dead.
Port Townsend, Oct. 4- Captain Henry Webber, of Port Discovery, the Democratic nominee for county commissioner from the second district, was thrown from a loaded spring wagon yesterday afternoon, sustaining severe injuries from which he died.
[Thursday, October 4, 1894, Paper: Tacoma Daily News (Tacoma, WA), Transcribed by Jan Grant]

Allen Weir
Olympia Pioneer will be buried in family plot
First Secretary of State Dies Last Evening Unable to Recover From Paralytic Stroke and Shock of Auto Accident Recently.
The funeral of Allen Weir, pioneer resident of Olympia will be held tomorrow afternoon at 1 o'clock at Port Townsend, according to announcement made today. Rev. N. M. Temple of the Methodist church of this city will officiate. Mr. Weir, who had been suffering from a stroke of paralysis for some time passed away at Port Townsend at 7:20 o'clock last evening. He was been severely injured in an automobile accident at Port Townsend, August 17, when the automobile in which he was riding plunged off the Port Townsend dock. This was the same accident that proved fatal to the late Senator David S. Troy, and undoubtedly it hastened Mr. Weir's demise.
Mr. Weir was one of the first owners of the Olympia Daily Recorder starting it about 14 years ago.
Mr. Weir was born in Del Monte, California, Los Angeles county, April 24, 1854, and spent most of his childhood on a farm. When quite young he came to Clallam county, and attended the Olympia Collegiate Institute. After leaving school in the spring of 1877 he went to Port Townsend and purchased the Puget Sound Argus, a weekly and the only paper published in that city. In 1882 the paper was made a daily. Mr. Weir conducted the Daily Argus until 1889, when he sold it and became engaged in the real estate business.
Regent of U. of W.
Mr. Weir has held several important official positions; was a member of the board of regents of the territorial university at Seattle during 1877 and 1878; member of the territorial board of health from 1878 to 1885, three terms. He was chairman of that board during his last term. He was justice of the peace and police magistrate in Port Townsend for two years, state deputy A. O. U. W. for two years, was United States commissioner for five years. He always took an active part in the political campaigns and conventions and because of his firm convictions and steadfast adherence to the best principles of government he more than once received recognition.
In 1888 he was elected to the upper house of the legislative council, representing the 12th district, composed of seven counties. He was a delegate to the constitutional convention in 1889 representing Jefferson, Clallam and San Juan counties. In October of the same year he was elected secretary of state, taking office November 18, 1889. He was married in November 1877.
Came Here in 1889.
Mr. Weir moved with his family to Olympia in 1899 and with the exception of one year spent in Seattle, has made this city his home ever since. He was admitted to the bar in 1892 and until he suffered a paralytic stroke practiced law in this city. Mr. Weir's health was seriously impaired by the stroke and though he partially recovered its effects were felt.
Mr. Weir is survived by his widow and three sisters, Mrs. L. B. Troy, of this city, Mrs. C. W. Kennard of Tacoma, and Mrs. Susan B. Evans of Dungeness; and three children, Frank A. Weir, republican candidate for county engineer of this county, Royal F. Weir, of Hoquiam, and Mrs. Will R. White. The family will leave this evening for Port Townsend to attend the funeral. A son and daughter of Mr. Weir's are buried in the family lot there.
[Wednesday, November 1, 1916, Olympia Record (Olympia, WA), Transcribed by Jan Grant]

James Wilkes, Sr.
James Wilkes Dead.
PORT TOWNSEND, June 27 - Death came at 9 o'clock yesterday to terminate a long siege of sickness and suffering which had been the portion of James Wilkes, Sr., a well known citizen of this place. The dead man came to Port Townsend in 1880.
Mr. Wilkes leaves to mourn his loss a widow and seven children, all of whom are living. Of the latter two daughters, one being Mrs. Fickett of Port Gamble, and Mrs. McKay of Seattle. The remainder are boys, and include James A., William, Charles, Albert E, and Frank. The funeral will take place tomorrow afternoon from the family residence on Winslow street and will be private.
[Sunday, June 28, 1903, Morning Olympian (Olympia, WA) - Transcribed by Jan Grant]


Copyright Genealogy Trails