Aaker, Knute B.
Although born under another flag, in a country of different customs and environment, Knute B. Aaker, a well known farmer and public-spirited citizen of Ferndale township, has been true to the duties of American citizenship, loyal to all of our institutions and is well worthy of the huge regard in which he is held throughout the locality where he lives. He is a native of Norway, born on the 13th of July, 1864, and is a son of B. J. and Bertha Marie (Aklestad) Aaker, both of whom were also born in Norway, the father in 1823 and the mother in 1826. The former, who died in 1896, was a farmer and followed that pursuit during all of his active life. Since his death the home place is owned and operated by his daughter Annie, with whom the mother is now living, at the remarkable age of ninety-nine years. To B. J. and Bertha Aaker were born six children, Annie, Martha M., deceased, John B., Caroline, Knute B. and Bertha, deceased.
Knute B. Aaker was educated in the public schools of his native land, where he remained until 1883, when he came to the United States, locating first in Minnesota, where he lived for a few months. On April 11, 1883, he arrived in Whatcom county, Washington, and found work at Van Buren, entering the employ of W. D. Van Buren, with whom he remained for about seven months. On April 14, 1886, he took up a homestead of one hundred and fifty-two acres in Ferndale township, which was covered with brush, stumps and some fine cedar trees and big spruce. He is now the owner of one hundred acres of fine land, all cleared and under cultivation, and he has proven a very progressive, enterprising and capable farmer, prosperity abundantly crowning his efforts. He keeps twenty-five cows, pure bred Shorthorns and Holsteins, and raises hay, Grain, potatoes and sugar beets, being diversified in his operations. In 1904 Mr. Aaker built a fine, modern house, with all desirable conveniences, including a complete electric system, making it one of the most desirable homes in the section of the county. In 1913 he erected a substantial and well arranged barn and in 1914 built a good silo. He has a fine flock of high grade Oxford Down sheep, in which he takes a justifiable pride. He is a member of the Whatcom County Dairymen's Association, of which he is one of the heaviest stockholders; is a believer in the very best of equipment for the farm, with a strong liking for electric service, and is counted among the most progressive and capable farmers in his section of the county. He advocates improved roads and served many years as road supervisor of his township.
On September 21, 1906, Mr. Aaker was married to Miss Elizabeth Bjerke, also a native of Norway and a daughter of Jacob and Johanna Bjerke, both of whom are still living in Norway. Mr. and Mrs. Aaker have two children: Bessie, born June 7, 1907; and Jacob S., born January 14, 1909.
As an evidence of the enterprising and progressive spirit of Mr. Aaker, it is worthy of notice that he is installing an electric pumping plant, with which he proposes to irrigate his farm, thereby greatly increasing its productivity. He owns a very fine Holstein bull, registered, whose grand-dam was sold for twelve thousand five hundred dollars. He is a man of influence in local affairs and is thoroughly in sympathy with any movement looking toward the advancement of the community in any way, and he has earned the reputation of a man of sterling honesty and worthy of the confidence and respect accorded him by his fellow citizens, among whom he enjoys a marked popularity.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 244-249
Aarstol, Edward Thomas
The death of Edward Thomas Aarstol, which occurred December 22, 1921, removed from Lawrence township a progressive agriculturist and one of those valuable citizens whose lives of quiet devotion to duty constitute the foundation of the material prosperity of every community in which they are found. A native of Norway, he was born January 17, 1867, and there spent the period of his youth. In 1896 he sought the opportunities of the United States ad wisely chose the west as the scene of his labors. He obtained work in the mills at Fairhaven, now known as Bellingham, Washington, and when he had saved a sufficient sum from his earnings returned to Norway for his bride. The young couple came to Whatcom bounty, and in 1898 Mr. Aarstol bought thirty acres of wile land in Lawrence township. He worked hard to clear the place and in time brought it to a high state of development. He closely studied the soil and climatic conditions, raising the crops best suited to this region, and also operated a dairy on his ranch. He built a good home and was constantly adding improvements to his place, which yearly increased in value. He was a strong advocate of scientific methods and did much to advance the standards of agriculture in his section of the state.
Mr. Aarstol married Miss Thomine Torkelsen, also a Norwegian, who survives her husband and is residing in the town of Lawrence but still retains the homestead. To their union were born five children: Selma, wife of Swen Swenson and the mother of two sons, Edward and Elmer; Thorold, who is operating the home farm; Edy and Dora, who reside with their mother; and Jennie, a high school student.
Mr. Aarstol was a faithful member of the Lutheran church, with which the family is also affiliated. He was connected with the Whatcom County Dairymen's Association and his political views were in accord with the platform and principles of the republican party. He was a tireless worker and all that he possessed was won through his own exertions. He was scrupulously honest in his dealings with his fellowmen, and his intrinsic worth won for him the high and enduring regard of all with whom he was associated.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pg. 707
Abrams, Curtis E.
Possessing an analytical, well trained mind, a studious nature and the capacity for hard work, Curtis E. Abrams has won and retained an enviable position in legal circles of Bellingham, which for twenty-one years has numbered him among its leading citizens. He has also devoted much time to fraternal affairs and is one of the most prominent Masons in the Pacific northwest. He was born November 29, 1874, in Stonington, Illinois, and his parents, Stephen and Mary Abrams, are both deceased. The father was an agriculturist and was a native of New Jersey, while the mother was a lifelong resident of Illinois.
C. E. Abrams supplemented his public school course by attendance at Shurtleff College in Alton, Illinois, and afterward studied law at Taylorvill, that state, He was admitted to the bar in 1901 and practiced for two years in his native state. He was licensed to practice in Washington in 1904 and opened an office in Bellingham, where he has since made his home. He was first a member of the firm of Abrams & Abrams and later of that of Romaine & Abrams but is now practicing under his own name. He is regarded as an able advocate and a counselor whose advice is to be relied upon. His has established a lucrative clientele and wins a large percentage of his cases, convincing by his concise statement of the law rather than by word painting. He was appointed referee in bankruptcy in 1908 and acted in that capacity until 1912, faithfully discharging the trust.
In 1900 Mr. Abrams was united in marriage to Miss Sallie E. Clark, of Illinois, who has passed away. He is allied with the republican party but has never enter the political arena, preferring to remain in the background. He enjoys the social side of life and is a member of the Hobby Club, the Cougar Club and the Bellingham Golf & Country Club. He belongs to the Knights of Pythias and is a Scottish Rite Mason. In January, 1922, he was honored with the thirty-third degree in recognition of his services to the order, and he exemplifies in his life its beneficent teachings. Mr. Abrams has a high conception of the dignity and responsibility of his calling and enjoys the esteem of many friends.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 926-927
Abrams, R. M.
R. M. Abrams, a veteran of the World war, has risen rapidly in the business world and is now in charge of the Bellingham business of one of the large milling corporations of the state. He was born February 5, 1897, in the city of Seattle, and in both the paternal and maternal lines is descended from old and honored families of Washington. He is a son of R. H. and Martha (Anderson) Abrams and a grandson of Magnus Anderson, who was one of the first white settlers in the La Conner district, hewing a farm out of the wilderness. The paternal grandfather, Robert Abrams, left his home in the Pine Tree state in 1857 and accomplished the long and hazardous journey to the Pacific coast. He embarked in the real estate business in Seattle and was one of the builders and promoters of that city, in which his son, R. H. Abrams, was born. The latter is an officer of the Lake Union Realty company and a business man of pronounced ability and high standing.
The grammar and high schools of his native city afforded R. M. Abrams his educational advantages, and in 1917, when twenty years of age, he enlisted in the Sixty-third Coast Artillery. He was sent to the front, spending eight months in Europe, and received his honorable discharge at the close of the war. In 1919 he entered the Seattle office of the Fisher Flour Company and soon proved his worth to his employers. As his experience increased he was entrusted with greater responsibilities and in January, 1924, was sent to Bellingham, being appointed manager of the local business in 1925. He is devoted to the interests in his charge and has well repaid the confidence reposed in his ability. The company deals in flour and feed, selling only in wholesale lots, and his maintained trade relations with Bellingham since 1912. The branch in this city was established January 1, 1918, and the warehouse is situated at the intersection of Railroad avenue and Champion street. It is sixty-five by one hundred and thirty-five feet in dimensions and is built of brick.
On February 28, 1920, Mr. Abrams was united in marriage to Miss Margaret Beattie, of Seattle, and they have three children: Mary Margaret, Richard and Robert. Mr. Abrams belongs to the American Legion and is a Republican in his political views. He is a young man of substantial worth, liberally endowed with intelligence and enterprise, and judging by what he has already accomplished, the future holds much in store for him.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pg. 691
Adams, Phil Cleve
Phil Cleve Adams, a well known and successful clothing merchant of Bellingham for many years, departed this life on the 20th of August, 1922, at the age of forty-three years. He was born at Cleveland, Iowa, a son of John Adams, who was a native of England. During the period of his boyhood he made various removals in company with his father, who was a miner by occupation. He obtained his first position in a mining camp at Roslyn, Washington, being employed as solicitor for the grocery department of the company store. In this capacity he rode through the mountains on horseback.
On attaining his majority Mr. Adams removed to Seattle, where he secured a position in a men's furnishing goods store. Next he made his way to Sedro Woolley, where he embarked in business on his own account with a capital of two thousand dollars, which he had saved from his earnings. At the end of two years he disposed of his interests there and took up his permanent abode in Bellingham, where he became proprietor of a men's furnishing goods and clothing store near the present sire of the Northwester National Bank. Mr. Adams occupied one room of the Exchange building during the erection of the Mason block, in which he conducted his store when the structure was completed. Subsequently he opened a women's clothing store adjoining, but he disposed of the stock soon afterward and conducted his two establishments in the Mason building for the sale of men's furnishing goods until about 1918, when he removed to the Exchange building, where he continued in business throughout the remainder of his life. The store has been under the capable management of George F. Benson since the death of Mr. Adams, whose widow is still the owner thereof. Straightforward and honorable in all his dealings, and studying the wishes of his patrons, Mr. Adams developed an extensive enterprise and became recognized as one of the prosperous and representative merchants of Bellingham. He won the proud American title of a self-made man, for the success which he enjoyed was the direct outcome of his untiring industry and his business ability.
Mr. Adams was twice married. He first wedded Catherine Ellis, who accompanied him to Bellingham, where she opened a millinery establishment. She passed away in 1912, leaving one child, who is also deceased. On the 1st of September, 1913, Mr. Adams was again married, his second union being with Lillian Braman, who was born at Bay City, Michigan, and whose parents were Frank and Agnes (Heyer) Braman, native Americans. She came to Bellingham, Washington, in young girlhood and after completing her schooling here spent a number of years in the employ of J. B. Wahl. Next she entered the service of Mr. Adams, who later made her his wife. Phil C. and Lillian (Braman) Adams became the parents of one child, who died in infancy.
In his political views Mr. Adams was stanch republican, while fraternally he was identified with the Benevolent Protective Order of Elks. His life was an upright and honorable one in every relation and his death was sincerely mourned by a large circle of warm friends as well as by the members of his immediate family.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 62-63
Aitken, James D.
In compiling this volume of representative citizens of Whatcom county occasion has been afforded to give the records of men in many walks of life, and at this juncture we are permitted to offer a resume of the career of one of the enterprising citizens and up-to-date farmers of Ferndale twonship, where he has attained a high measure of success in his chosen field of labor and enterprise. James D. Aitken was born in Quincy, Illinois, September 8, 1877, and is a son of John and Annie (Marshall) Aitken, both of whom were natives of Airdrie, Scotland, where the father was born January 19, 1841, and the mother, March 22, 1850. The father is now deceased, and his widow later became the wife of Edwin Lopas, who came to the United States in 1879, lived in the east one year and then came to Washington. In 1880 he homesteaded one hundred and sixty acres of land near Ferndale, and in connection with the clearing of the land and the operation of the ranch he also worked at his trade, that of a carpenter, in Ferndale. He was an active and energetic man and was well liked by all who knew him, and his death was regretted by the entire community. To John and Annie Aitken were born the following children: Mrs. James Brown, John M., who is game warden for Whatcom county; Mrs. A. S. Wilson, of Everett, Washington; James D., the subject of this sketch; Mrs. Charles Culp, of Seattle; Mrs. Effie Seaman, of Bellingham; and Mrs. Violet Collier, of Seattle.
James D. Aitken received his education in the Enterprise district school and then was for several years employed in logging camps. After the death of his step-father he came home and ran the ranch for his mother until his marriage, in 1915, since which time he has been operating seventy-three acres of his mother's farm which he has leased. He has twenty-five acres in hay and grain and keeps eight good grade milk cows. He is a thoroughly practical farmer, exercising sound judgement in the management of his place, and his efforts have been rewarded with a fine measure of prosperity.
On April 29, 1915, Mr. Aitken was married to Miss Lottie Manning, who was born in Kamloops, British Columbia, Canada, a daughter of William and Sarah (Smith) Manning, the former of whom was a native of England and the latter of Canada. Mr. Manning bought a ranch of one hundred and sixty acres on the Nooksack river, near Ferndale, in 1888, and was engaged in farming there until 1919, when he retired and moved to Ferndale, where his death occurred February 11, 1922. His widow is now living at that place. To this worthy couple were born five children, namely: Lottie, Mrs. Aitken; William, of Bellingham; Harriet, who lives in California; Mrs. Doris Oliver, of Monroe; and Lionel, who lives in Ferndale and is a student in the State Agricultural College at Pullman. To Mr. and Mrs. Aitken have been born two children: Phyllis, born March 23, 1916; and Colin, born February 15, 1918. Mr. Aitken's career has been characterized by unceasing industry and perseverance, and the systematic and honorable methods which he has followed have resulted not only in his own material success but also in gaingin for him the unbounded confidence and good will of all with whom he has come in contact.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 873-874
Aldrich, F. W.
The qualities which have made F. W. Aldrich on of the successful farmers of Ten Mile township have also won for him the esteem of his fellow citizens, for his career has been one of well directed energy, strong dtermination and honorable methods. His life history has been distinguished by the most substantial traits of character and his prestne high standing in the community has been well merited. Mr Aldrich is a natvie of the state of Vermont, born on the 8th of April, 1865, and is a son of Mr. and Mrs. C. T. Aldrich, both of whom also were natives of Vermont. His mother, who died when he was but five years old, was a descendant of the historic Heldons, of the Mayflower. C. T. Aldrich was a veteran of the Civil war, having served as a member of the Ninth Regimant, Vermont Volunteer Infantry. He was descended from good "old-country" stock, his father having been a native of Wales and his mother of Scotland. He became a millwright and general mill man, and eventually went to Elgin, Illinois, about 1870, and engaged in the contracting business.
F. W. Aldrich secured his education in the public schools of his native state, and after his father went west he remained with relatives until he was seventeen years of age, when he joined his father in Elgin and there learned the carpenter's trade. He remained in Elgin for about seven years and then, in December, 1888, came to Washington, locating in Tacoma, where he worked at the carpernter's trade until June, 1889, when he went to Olympia, Washington, where he followed the same occupation until 1899. During the following three years he lived in Bellingham, where he worked at the carpenter's tade and also did a good deal of tank building for breweries and other concerns. He then went back to Olympia, where he remained for three of four yeats, when he returned to Bellingham and worked as a carpenter until 1921. He then bought twenty acres of land in Ten Mile township, a part of the old McDonald homestead, and at once gave his entire attention to the improvement of the porperty. The place was badly run down and a good deal of repair work on the buildings was necessary in order to put them in first-class condition, in addition to which he built new henhouses and made other substantial and needed improvements, which have made of the place a very attractive and desirable farm home. In the meantime he is devoting as much time as possible to the clearing of additional land and is meeting with encouraging success in all his operations. He is going into the chicken business on a large scale, expecting to have a thousand laying hens in 1926, and will continue to enlarge his flock to considerable size, as he has demonstrated the practicability and profit of the phast of farm work. He also keeps several cows and his fertile fields are producing all the necessary feed and grain, as well as large quantities of kale.
On October 1, 1891, Mr. Aldrich was married to Miss Amy Powe, who was born in Maine, a daughtert of William B. and Carrie (Lynch) Powe, the former of whom was a native of England, while the latter was born and reared in Maine. To Mr. and Mrs. Aldrich have been born four children, namely: Ethel, who is the wife of F. H. Brown, of Olympia, and the mother of seven children; Josephine, the wife of J. E. Owens, of Bellingham; Chester W., of Salem, who is married and has one child; and Frank W., of Bellingham, who also is married and has one child. Mr. Aldrich is a member of the Whatcom County Poultry Association, while fraternally he is a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, which he joined in Elgin, Illinois, in 1888, and of the Woodmen of the World. Mrs. Aldrich is a member of the Neighbors of Woodcraft. Faithfulness to duty and strict adherence to a fixed purpose have been dominating factors in Mr. Aldrich's life, which has been crowned with well deserved success, and throughout this community he is held in the highest esteem by all who know him, for he has proven himself a splendid citizen in the best sense of the term.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 346-347
Altman, H. E.
H. E. Altman is a native of the state of Ohio, his birth occurring on the 26th of June, 1871, and he is a son of William and Jane (Rothen) Altman, the former of whom was born in Pennsylvania, January 23, 1835, and the latter of whom was a native of Buffalo, New York. He received a good education in the public schools of his native state and had two years at Orrerbein College, at Westerville, Ohio. During the ensuing four yeats he was engaged in teaching school and then went to Forreston, Illionois, where in partnership with A. D. Kllump, he was engaged in the newspaper business for five years. He was married in 1904 and, for their honeymoom trip, he and his wife started for Washington. They arriced first at Bellingham and then located at Lake Whatcom, where they bought thirty acres of land, covered with timber and brush, which Mr. altman cleared off, and to the cultivation of this land he devoted himself for six years. In 1910 he leased that farm and coming to Nooksack bought the Nooksack Reporter from Sills & Robinson and devoted himself closely to the editing and publishing of that paper for five years. During that period he was also engaged in the real estate business there, in which he met with a vart fair measure of success. In 1915 he effected a trade, exchanging his newspaper property for fifty acres of land in Nooksack township, one mile south of Nooksack, thwnty-five acres of which tract was cleared, the remainder being pasture and timber. Mr. Altman has cleared off most of the timber and has uprooted the immense cedar stumps which encumbered the land, and he now has his place in a fine state of cultivation, raising big crips of oats and peas, in addition to which he has a large berry patch, which has been a good source of income. He is also interested in the production of filberts, in the growing of which he and a neighboring farmer, David H. Berg, are pioneers in this locality. He has a fine filbert grove coming into bearing, and having demonstrated in a most practical way the possibillity of growing thses nuts at a profit and with little hazard, he intends going into that business more extensively. Mr. Altman is also actively engaged in the chicken business, owning about six hundred laying hens. He has made substantial and attractive improvements on the place, which now ranks among the best frams in this section of Whatcom county.
On June 28, 1904, Mr. Altman was married to Miss Jeanne McClure, who was born in Adair county, Iowa, a daughter of W. H. And Rose (Wait) McClure, the former a native of Ogle county, Illinois, and the latter of Union county, Ohio. Mr. McClure was a resident of Illinois until 1907, when he came to Spokane, Washington, where he lived for eleven yeats. He then located in Bellingham, where he spent the remainder of his life, his death occurring there October 6, 1919. He was survived by his widow, who made her home with Mr. and Mrs. Altman, until her death on December 25, 1925. Mr. and Mrs. McClure were the parents of four children, namely: Mrs. Jeanne Altman, Mrs. J. E. Gardner, W. B., and J. W., deceased. Mr. and Mrs. Altman are the parents of two children: Willard H., born in Bellingham, May 6, 1908; and Evelyn Elizabeth, born in Nooksack, March 16, 1911. Mr. Altman is a member of the Whatcom County Poultry Association and is a stockholder in the Poultrymen's Accredited hatchery, of Bellingham, and also belongs to the Grange. He is deeply interested in educational affairs and is president of the board of directors of the Nooksack consolidated school. He is equally strong in the advocacy of good roads and has been influential in local efforts for improved highways. He is essentially a man of affairs, sound of judgment and farseeing in what he undertakes, so that he holds, distinctive precedence as one of the most progressive and enterprising citizens of his section of the county. He is a genial and companionable man, thoughtful of the welfare of others and generous in his giving to benevolent objects, and in all of life's relations he has so ordered his actions as to merit the confidence and respect which is so universally accorded him throughout the community.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 329-330