Andersen, John C.
Clearly defined purpose and consecutive effort in the affairs of life will inevitably result in the attainment of a due measure of success, and in following out the career of one who has attained success by his own efforts there comes into view the intrinsic individuality which made such accomplishment possible. In this class stands John C. Andersen, a prominent citizen and farmer of the Ferndale township. A native of Denmark, his birth occurred on the 18th of September, 1861, and he is a son of Hans Christian and Christina Andersen, both of whom also were native of that country. Hans C. Andersen came to the United States in 1865 and soon afterward came to California, taking up a homestead in Mendocino county. His land was covered with fine redwood timber which he logged off. He put the land under cultivation and conducted farming operations there up to the time of his death, which occurred in 1910. His wife had preceded him in death, passing away July 4, 1879. To their union were born three children: John C., Amelia and Theodore M. In 1886 Hans C. Andersen was again married and to this union were born two sons, P. H. and Albert A., both of whom are now living in Albion, Mendocino county, California.
John C. Andersen was educated in the public schools of Mendocino county and later took a commercial course in a business college in Lynden, Washington. After leaving school, Mr. Andersen, on June 20, 1883, accompanied by one companion, left his home in Mendocino county and arrived at Bellingham, Whatcom county, Washington, on October 8, having made the trip with four horses and a covered wagon. He at once engaged in the building and contracting business, his first undertaking in this county being a contract received from Judge Hiccock, then superintendent for the Bellingham Bay & British Columbia Railroad, for ten thousand ties, the first ever cut in the county, for the construction of that road. Under the Donahue law he built the first road in Whatcom county, five miles long, between Lynden and the Canadian border. Since then he has done much government work in the county, and he also helped to build the first street car line in Bellingham, having the contract for grading and planking it. Soon after coming to this county Mr. Andersen took up a preemption claim near Delta, where he lived for two years, during which time he did much toward opening up the roads in that district, particularly the one running to Blaine, that being the nearest way out. After disposing of his holdings at Delta he located two miles north of Lynden, where he had an important part in solving the drainage and road problems of that district. He has been very active along the line of road, bridge and drainage construction in Whatcom county, having built approximately thirty miles of roads and three miles of bridges, and he has constructed three drainage districts, including the lowering of Wiser lake about six feet, and built several of the principal streets of Bellingham. He also followed logging for a number of years and has been employed by some of the largest firms in the county as timber cruiser and log scaler and buyer. About 1905 Mr. Anderson bought sixty acres of land in section 36, Ferndale township, in the center of the Nooksack river valley. he moved onto the place in 1912 and now has twenty-five acres of it cleared and under the plow. In 1915 he built a comfortable home and a substantial barn. He keeps nine cows and four hundred chickens.
Mr. Anderson was married June 10, 1894, to Miss Anna Laura Henry, who was born in Lake City, Minnesota, a daughter of Henry and Rebecca (Hawkins) Henry and the granddaughter of an English earl who came to the United States in the early part of the nineteenth century, settled in Virginia and was engaged for twenty-one years in teaching in the schools of that state. To Mr. and Mrs. Andersen have been born five children, namely: Mrs. May Dahl, who lives in Alberta, Canada, and who is the mother of two children, Beverley May and Shirley Ann; Elmer, who remains unmarried and who owns a twenty acre farm in Ferndale township; Mrs. Edna Easterbrooks, who lives in Bellingham; Mildred, who is engaged in teaching school in Bellingham; and Mabel I., who died when one year old. The daughters are graduates of the State Normal School at Bellingham and Edna also attended the State University, while Mildred attended the State Agricultural College at Pullman. They are all talented in music, both vocal and instrumental. Elmer is a veteran of the World war, having enlisted for service, and was in New York when the armistice was signed, being honorably discharged in December, 1918. Mrs. Andersen takes an active interest in all community welfare work and is popular in the circles in which she moves. Mr. Andersen is the only living charter member of Lynden Lodge No. 77, Independent Order of Odd Fellows. He is public-spirited in his support of all measure for the general good of the community. Because of his character and his friendliness he enjoys a high place in the esteem and confidence of all who know him.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 817-818
Anderson, Albert E.
Albert E. Anderson, a veteran of the World war, is now dealing in automobiles and is one of Bellingham's enterprising young business men and loyal sons. He was born May 30, 1889, his parents, Andrew and Augusta Anderson, having been residents of the city since 1888. The father was engaged in the hotel business for several years, gaining a wide acquaintance among the traveling public, and is now living retired.
Albert E. Anderson received a public school education. In 1918 he responded to his country's call to arms, and he served until the close of the World war, never faltering in the performance of duty. Since 1923 he has owned and conducted the business of the Standard Automobile Company, which was formed in 1914. He was one of the organizers of the corporation, his associates in the undertaking being A. W. Knight and Henry Hansen. The business is located an No. 1215 Cornwall avenue and occupies two floors of a building fifty-five by one hundred and twenty-five feet in dimensions. The repair shop is equipped for first-class service, and Mr. Anderson has surrounded himself with a force of skilled mechanics and experienced salesmen, having twenty employes in all. He has the local agency for the Overland and Willys-Knight machines and his annual sales amount to a large figure. He is alert to every new development in the automobile trade and brings to his executive duties enthusiasm, initiative, foresight and mature judgment.
Mr. Anderson was united in marriage to Miss Helen Byles, a native of Bellingham and a daughter of Lee N. and Mabel (Hancock) Byles. The father was born in Elma, Chehalis county, Washington, in 1864 and for many years was prominently identified with logging operations in Whatcom and Skagit counties. His father, David F. Byles, was a native of Madisonville, Kentucky, and in 1853 crossed the plains with an ox team and wagon. He located neat Olympia, Washington, and was one of the early surveyors of that district. Afterward he operated a farm on Grays Harbor and subsequently moved to Elma. He married Mary J. Hill, a native of Kentucky and a daughter of a Presbyterian minister. She came to Washington territory in the year of its separation from Oregon, and she held a secure place in the affections of many of the native sons and daughters of this state.
Mrs. Anderson is a graduate of the Bellingham high school, the University of Washington and the State Normal School, and previous to her marriage she was a teacher in the Lowell grammar school of this city. Mr. Anderson is a republican in his political views and belongs to the Rotary and Country Clubs. he is a member of the American Legion and along fraternal lines is connected with the Benevolent Protective Order of Elks. The growth and advancement of his city is a matter in which he takes much personal pride, and that he is a young man of worth and ability is indicated by what he has accomplished.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926 pgs. 80-81
Coming to the new world with no assets save youth, energy and determination, Bernhard Anderson has overcome many obstacles by untiring effort, and personal experience has made him familiar with the various phases of pioneer life in the west. He is the owner of one of the valuable farms of Rome township and his life record is written in terms of honor and success. A native of Sweden, he was born February 26, 1863, and his parents, Andrew and Helen Anderson, were lifelong residents of that country. They had two sons, but Andrew, the first born, is deceased.
Bernhard Anderson attended the public schools of Sweden and completed his education in the United States, to which he transferred his allegiance in 1882, when nineteen years of age. He worked on farms in Minnesota and also on a railroad. At Fargo, North Dakota, he was employed in the roundhouse of the Northern Pacific Railroad Company, and he next obtained a position on a large wheat farm near Castleton, that state, where he spent five years. In 1888 he came to Washington, first locating in Tacoma, and at the end of a few months moved to Seattle. For some time he executed contracts for clearing land and in 1889 arrived in Sehome, Washington. For four years he worked in logging camps and sawmills of Whatcom county and afterward was employed in sawmills of Bellingham until 1913. He then came to Rome township and purchased a forty-acre tract on Anderson creek, where he has since made his home. he has twenty acres under cultivation and the balance is in pasture. he raises hay and root crops and keeps a herd of ten cows, all of high grade. His ranch is situated on a paved highway and modern equipment facilitates the work of the fields. he has a comprehensive knowledge of agricultural pursuits and his work is carefully planned and methodically performed.
On December 12, 1901, Mr. Anderson was married to Miss Anna Christianson, who was born in Sweden and came to the United States during her girlhood, arriving in Bellingham in 1892. She is one of a family of seven children whose parents, Christian and Elna (Lofgren) Nelson, were lifelong residents of Sweden. Her father passed away in 1924 and the mother's demise occurred in 1923. Mr. and Mrs. Anderson have three children. Elmer E., the eldest, was born February 19, 1903, and is a graduate of the high school at Bellingham. Gladys E., born April 12, 1904, also completed a course in the high school of that city. She afterward attended the State Normal School and is now engaged in teaching at Okanogan, Washington. Her sister, Evelyn C., was born November 4, 1907, and after her graduation from the Harmony high school entered the State Normal College at Bellingham, which she is now attending.
Mr. Anderson is a man of progressive ideas and an ardent champion of good roads and improved educational facilities. He is a strong advocate of the Grange and believed thoroughly in co-operation among farmers, realizing the value of concerted effort. He is treasurer of the Rome Grange and a charter member of the Whatcom County Dairymen's Association. He served for three years on the township board and for eight years was connected with the Bellingham fire department. He has exerted his powers as readily for the public good as for his own aggrandizement, and his life record serves to illustrate what constitutes good citizenship.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 666-667
Anderson, Charles Edward
Charles Edward Anderson has experienced every phase of pioneer life in the west and throughout his career has made each day and hour count for the utmost. He is now a prosperous ranchman, residing in the vicinity of Clipper, and all that he possesses has been gained by honest labor. A native of Sweden, he was born February 11, 1865, and was but a few months old when his parents, Gustaf and Helen Anderson, made the voyage to the Unites States. They located at Eagle Harbor, Michigan, in the fall of 1865, remaining there for a year and a half, and the father then went to Douglas county, Minnesota, for the purpose of securing desirable farm land. There he met his brother, who had recently married, and went with him on the overland journey to Montana. They were four months in making the trip and were joined by the other members of the family eighteen months later. All settled at Unionville, Montana, four miles from Helena, and Gustaf Anderson lived for ten years in that state. On the expiration of that period he returned to Minnesota, purchasing two farms, and there both parents passed away.
Charles E. Anderson attended the public schools of Montana and Minnesota and aided his father in the tasks of plowing, planting and harvesting, becoming the owner of the homestead after the death of his parents. He resided for a time in Spokane, Washington, afterward returning to Montana, and in 1902 came to Whatcom county. He worked in the lumber camps and in the mills, afterward purchasing his present place of forty acres near Clipper. he has built a fine home, also improving the property with good barns, and has one of the best ranches in the valley. He raises the crops best suited to this region and also operates a well equipped dairy. He enjoys his work and keeps well abreast of the times, bringing to the cultivation of his farm a comprehensive knowledge of the details of modern agriculture and a progressive, open mind.
In 1889 Mr. Anderson married Miss Jennie Anderson, who was born in Minnesota and passed away in 1923. Their adopted daughter, Alice Elinor, is now the wife of C. E. Martinson, of Bellingham, and the mother of one child, a son. Mr.. Anderson belongs to the Whatcom County Dairymen's Association and is connected with the lodge and encampment of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, also belonging to the Royal Neighbors. He is a socialist in his political views, and he conscientiously discharges the duties and obligations of citizenship. he was township treasurer for seven years, carefully safeguarding the public funds, and served for several years on the school board. Mr. Anderson is a man of strong character, thoroughly imbued with western enterprise and determination, and measured by the standard of usefulness, his life has been a successful one.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 405-406
The late Earl Anderson was one of the honored pioneers of Whatcom county who aided in laying the foundation on which has been erected the superstructure of the community's present prosperity and progress. Through the period of early development he was an important factor in the advancement of material, civic and moral affairs, and no man stood higher in the esteem and confidence of his fellow citizens. His popularity was well deserved, for in him were embraced the characteristics of unbending integrity, unabating energy and an industry that never flagged. Nothing could swerve him from what he believed to be the right path and his upright life commanded universal respect.
Mr. Anderson was a native of Sweden, born on the 5th of December, 1858, and he was a son of Aaron Anderson. He received his education in the public schools of his native land and remained there until 1883, when he came to the United States, locating in Michigan, where he remained about two years. In 1885 Mr. Anderson came to Whatcom county and homesteaded one hundred and sixty acres in Delta township, three and a half miles northwest of Lynden, the land at that time being partly swamp, the remainder being covered with brush and timber. he cleared up all of this tract, which meant a prodigious amount of hard and persistent physical labor, and in the course of time found himself in possession of as fine a farm as could be found in his section of the county. Here he continued to follow farming operations until his death, which occurred October 10, 1917. He was an indefatigable worker, exercised sound judgment in his business affairs and maintained his farm at a high standard of improvement, being regarded by his fellow citizens as an enterprising and progressive agriculturist. He was deeply interested in the welfare of his community and was one of the founders of the Swedish Baptist church at Delta, contributing freely of his means and his personal labor in the building of the original church structure, which was erected thirty-five years ago and which was later replaced by a larger and more pretentious building. Genial and friendly, kindly and generous, he easily made friends and throughout the community where so many active years of his life were spent he held a high place.
Mr. Anderson was married three times, first in 1888, to Miss Tilda Olson, who died in December, 1895. To this union were born four children, namely: Bettie, who was graduated from the State Normal School at Bellingham and is now engaged in missionary work in this state; Ellen, who was graduated from the State Normal School and is now teaching in the public schools at Chelan, Washington; Arthur, who is a machinist and lives in Los Angeles, California; and Elmer, deceased. In 1897 Mr. Anderson was married to Miss Bertha Nelson, who died September 3, 1903, leaving a daughter, Mary, who was graduated from Wilson's Business College in Bellingham and is now employed in an office in Seattle. On May 5, 1906, Mr. Anderson was married to Miss Carrie Delin, who was born in Sweden and came to the United States in 1887. She is a daughter of Nels and Ingret (Johnson) Delin, both of whom were natives of Sweden and brought their family to the United States in 1887. They first bought forty acres of partly cleared land, on which the father is now living. His wife died in Minnesota in 1899. To Earl and Carrie Anderson were born three children, namely: Ruth, born January 25, 1907, who was graduated from the Lynden high school and is now attending the State Normal School at Bellingham; Philip, born February 8, 1908, who is at home; and Mildred, born August 30, 1909, who is a student in the Lynden high school. In 1922 the homestead was sold and the proceeds divided among the widow and children. Mrs. Anderson then bought eighteen acres of land near the Swedish Baptist church in Delta township and is now very comfortably situated there. She keeps several good Holstein cows and has a nicely improved place, her land being all cleared. She is a woman of fine personal qualities and gracious manner and enjoys popularity in the circles in which she moves.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 205-206
Emil Anderson is widely known as one of the honored citizens of Delta township, where he has for a number of years been prominently identified with the farming and poultry interests of the locality. His well directed efforts in the practical affairs of life, his capable management of his business interests and his sound judgment have brought him prosperity, his life demonstrating what may be accomplished by a man of energy and ambition who is not afraid of hard work and has the perseverance to continue along the lines which he has mapped out. Mr. Anderson was born in Sweden on the 7th of June, 1883, and is a son of Ole and Anna (Larson) Anderson, both of whom also were natives of Sweden. The father died in 1896 and the mother is now making her home with her son, the subject of this sketch. They were the parents of two children, the subject and a sister, Amy, who died in September, 1918.
Emil Anderson attended the public schools of Sweden, completing his education in the high school at Seattle, Washington, and also taking a commercial course in Wilson's Business College in that city. He had come to this country in 1906, and he became superintendent of the Isaacson Iron Works in Seattle, holding that position for five years. In 1920 Mr. Anderson came to Whatcom county and bought thirty acres of land in Delta township, seven miles northwest of Lynden, and he at once went to work on the clearing of the land, which was covered with stumps and brush. He cleared part of the tract, which he put under the plow, raising hay and grain, and also engaged in the chicken business, in which he has met with very encouraging success. He has built a good barn and house and also has a good chicken house, twenty by one hundred and forty feet in size. He keeps two thousand laying hens, which he has found to be a very profitable source of income. He also devotes a part of his time to the teaching of the violin, in which he is an expert. He is a member of the Whatcom County Dairymen's Association and the Whatcom County Poultry Association.
On August 13, 1918, Mr. Anderson was married to Miss Esther Axlund, a native of Minnesota and a daughter of A. P. and Christine (Engman) Axlund. Her parents, who were natives of Sweden, came to the Unites States in 1882 and settled in Minnesota, where they lived until 1899, when they came to Lynden, Whatcom county, and bought thirty acres of land, on which they established their home and spent the remainder of their lives, the mother passing away November 10, 1908, and the father December 1, 1915. To this worthy couple were born five children, namely: B., who lives at Lynden; Joseph, who also lives in Lynden; Esther, Mrs. Anderson; and Levi and Reuben. Mr. and Mrs. Anderson are the parents of three children, namely: Doris, who was born in Seattle, June 12, 1919; Sterling, born on the ranch near Lynden, March 5, `91`; and Eveline, born June 15, 1923. Personally Mr. Anderson is a courteous and genial man, pleasant and companionable, and by right living and fine public spirit he has gained an enviable place in the confidence and esteem of the entire community.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 198-199
The life of Henry Anderson, one of the industrious farmers of Ferndale township, constitues an example of true manhood and good citizenship. A native of Whatcom county, he was born at Bellingham on the 11th of August, 1894, and is a son of James and Thora (Hansen) Anderson, both of whom were born and reared in Denmark. They came to the United States in 1886, settling in Whatcom county, where the father followed the plastering and building trade, having also given considerable attention to the fishing business. He now lives at Concrete, this state, and likewise owns a twenty acre farm near Blaine, Whatcom county. To him and his wife were born nine children, namely: Olga, Henry, Alfred, Louis, Harold, Milton, Dolly and two who died in infancy.
Henry Anderson attended the public schools of Ferndale and afterward was employed on dairy farms until his marriage, in 1917, since which time he has been engaged in farming on his own account. He and his wife have a splendid place of forty-five acres, well improved in every respect, and are here carrying on a general line of farming, also giving considerable attention to dairying, keeping twenty-two head of fine Holstein cows, some of which are registered, and a pure bred bull. Mr. Anderson is businesslike and methodical in all his operations and is achieving a degree of success that has won for him a high reputation as an enterprising and progressive farmer.
On August 23, 1917, Mr. Anderson was married to Miss Ila Nielsen, who was born on the old Tennant homestead, near Ferndale, October 14, 1893, a daughter of Chris and Mary (Pedersen) Nielsen. Her parents were both born and reared in Denmark, the father coming to the United States in 1877 and the mother in 1869. Mr. Nielsen first located in Minnesota, where he remained about two years, and then came to Whatcom county, buying one hundred and twelve acres near Ferndale. The tract was at that time partly covered with timber and brush, but he cleared the land, put it under cultivation and created a fine farm, on which he resided until his death, which occurred October 14, 1903. He was survived for a number of years by his widow, who passed away April 27, 1917. To this worthy couple were born the following children: Mrs. Zera Sorensen, who became the mother of two children, and is now deceased; and Robert L., Margaret, Ila (Mrs. Anderson), and Clara F., who is teaching school in California. To Mr. and Mrs. Anderson have been born three children, namely: Leroy F., born December 15, 1918; Dorothy Marie, born April 15, 1921; and Helen Jean, born October 28, 1924. Mr. Anderson is a member of Bellingham Lodge No. 194, Benevolent Protective Order of Elks. He is a man of good judgment and pronounced views, keeps himself well informed as to current events and takes a commendable interest in the public affairs of his locality, supporting all measures which are intended to advance the general welfare.
HIstory of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pg. 152
Anderson, Jorgen O.
One of the most progressive and up-to-date farmers of Whatcom county is Jorgen O. Anderson, whose fine farm is located three and a half miles souteast of Sumas. He comes of a people who are noted the world over for their industry, thrift and wholesome living, qualities which he has exemplified in his own career here, and no man in his locality is held in higher esteem by the people generally. Mr. Anderson was born in Norway on the 9th of October, 1870, and is a son of Anders and Annie Marie Anderson, both of whom were lifelong residents of Norway, where the father followed the occupation of a sailor. Of the seven children born to this worthy couple, two are living, Jorgen O. and Thomas.
Jorgen O. Anderson received his education in his native land and then, following the example of his father, went to sea as a sailor. In 1893 his ship touched at Fairhaven, and there Mr. Anderson left his ship. During the following seven years he worked in the mines of the Blue Canyon Coal Company at Lake Whatcom. In April, 1900, he bought one hundred and seventy-one acres of land three and a half miles southeast of Sumas and proceeded at once to clear the tract, which was heavily covered with timber. He built a small house, which was destroyed by fire about a years later, but he immediately rebuilt a better house. In 1904 he sold eighty acres of his land to his brother Thomas, and at about the same time he embarked in the dairy business, buying a few cows. He was successful in this enterprise and in 1910 acquired a herd of pure bred Guernsey stock. This breed of cattle has proven its value, and ha has built his herd up to one hundred head, about fifty of which are registered pure bred stock. Among these animals are a number of unusually good ones, chief of which are two which hold the highest test record in the state, aside from Holsteins. He retails all his milk and cream in Bellingham and has met with a very gratifying measure of success in his chosen line. He has bought more land adding forty acres in 1908 and sixty-seven acres in 1922, so that he is now the owner of one hundred and ninety-eight acres, one hundred and seventy of which are under cultivation, the remainder being in pasture. His principal field crops are hay, grain, oats, and vetch, with enough corn to fill his silos, and five acres of sugar beets. The land, which is tile drained, is fertile and well cared for, Mr. Anderson following twentieth century methods in all his operations.
Mr. Anderson was married August 29, 1896, to Miss Hilda Lind, who was born in Sweden, a daughter of Nels and Johanna (Welin) Lind, both of whom also were natives of that country, where they died. They were the parents of ten children, of whom five are living, namely: Mrs. Carl Swenson; Mrs. J. J. Booman, who lives at Lynden, Whatcom county; Hilda (Mrs. Anderson); Mrs. H. Erholm, of Anacortes, Washington; and Nelson A., of Ruskin, British Columbia. To Mr. and Mrs. Anderson have been born three children, namely: Mrs. A. G. Elliott, who lives at Elliott, Washington, is the mother of three children-Aneta Louise, Andrew George and Robert James; and Norman D. and Victor H., both of whom are at home and are giving their father valuable assistance in the operation of the farm. Mr. Anderson has also been ably seconded in all his work by his wife, who has been to him a true helpmate in the best sense of the term. The farm is equipped with all modern labor saving machinery and devices, and the buildings are of substantial construction and so arranged as to best expedite the work, the general appearance of the ranch indicating the owner to be a man of good taste and excellent judgment.
Mr. Anderson is a member of the Whatcom County Dairymen's Association. He has taken a commendable interest in the public affairs of the community and has rendered effective and appreciated service as a member of the school board and as township supervisor, having served for three years in the latter capacity. He is a good business man, exercising discrimination and discretion in all of his affairs, and has long been recognized as one of the leading men of his section of the county. Quiet and unassuming in manner, he nevertheless possesses the essential qualities of good citizenship and stands deservedly high in the confidence and esteem of his fellow citizens.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 570-571
John Anderson, a substantial farmer and successful dairyman, is owner of a well kept place in Mountain View township, near Ferndale, where he has been since 1890, a period of more than a third of a century. When he settled there the highway into that district had not been established and he had to haul his stuff in over the old woods trail on a sledge, his wife walking behind. His initial investment in land proved profitable, for he is a good farmer, and after he cleared the land and brought the place under cultivation he raised grain crops running to one hundred acres and is recognized as one of the substantial men of the community.
Mr. Anderson was born in the Allund district of Finland, October 17, 1859, and is a son of Andrew Lindquist and Breta Humber, also natives of Finland. The former was a well-to-do farmer, the proprietor of a place of six hundred acres, and they spent all their lives in that country. When thirteen years of age John Anderson, son of Andrew and Breta, "took to the sea" and for fifteen years was thereafter employed as a sailor, sailing the seven seas and during that time visiting every important port in the world. In 1887 he came to the United States, Michigan being his objective. Six months later he went to Wisconsin but not finding things to his liking there came on to the coast and located at Seattle, where he was employed as a bridge carpenter for three years and where, in December, 1890, he was married. Earlier in that year he had bought a "forty" in the woods in Whatcom county, a tract adjoining that on which he now makes his home, and immediately after their marriage he and his wife came in to take possession of this place and establish their home on it. There still were bears and other wild animals in the woods at that time and while they were getting the house in order it was no uncommon thing for a bear or a wildcat to come uncomfortably close as if investigating what was going on. After he cleared and improved that place Mr. Anderson bought an adjoining tract of twenty acres and later purchased the tract of thirty acres on which his present comfortable home is located. He also acquired another tract, bringing his present holdings up to one hundred acres, most of which is cleared and developed. Of late years Mr. Anderson has been giving his attention principally to dairying and he has an excellent herd of Jerseys and Holsteins, besides fifteen head or more of fine horses. The poultry industry also has attracted him and he has about a hundred chickens on the place. Mr. and Mrs. Anderson are members of the Mennonite church and have ever given their interested attention to the church work and other good works. They are independent in their political views but stand for progress in local and civic affairs.
On December 20, 1890, in Seattle, Mr. Anderson and Minna Lundber were united in marriage. Mrs. Anderson is a native of Finland, born in the same district as her husband. She has two brothers, both former sea captains, and a sister still living in the old country. Her parents, Leander and Eva (Berkleund) Lundber, spent all their lives in their home country. Her father was captain of his own sailing vessel in coastwise service in the Baltic and in the gulfs. To Mr. and Mrs. Anderson two sons were born, John Felix and Charles Enor. The latter was graduated from the Ferndale high school and is now assisting in the operation of his father's farms. John Felix Anderson, who died on a railway train, September 8, 1923, while serving as a postal clerk on the run between Seattle and Blaine, had been been engaged in the railway mail service for eleven years. He was born in 1893 and was graduated from the Bellingham high school when fifteen years of age, one of the most alert students in the history of that school. In 1922 he married Miss Ella Hefland, who survives him.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 825-826
In the upbuilding of the Pacific northwest the Scandinavian races have played an honorable part, and among those sturdy Norsemen who have proven valuable citizens of Whatcom county is numbered Martin Anderson, a prosperous agriculturist of Acme township. A son of Andreas and Talleta Hanson, he was born January 10, 1867, and was reared and educated in Norway. Following the example of many of his fellow countrymen, he sought the opportunities of the new land across the sea and in 1899 came to Washington. He spent a year in Seattle and then located in Whatcom county. In his native land he had learned the ship carpenter's trade, which he followed until 1907, and he then purchased a forty acre tract in Mountain View township. Mr. Anderson cultivated the place until 1920, when he sold the property and bought one hundred and twenty-nine acres in Acme township, becoming the owner of the Ulick homestead, one of the oldest in the county. In 1925 he built a modern home, and he has added many other improvements which have enhanced the value of the ranch. He knows the best methods of tilling the soil and keeps in close touch with all new developments along agricultural lines. He has pure bred cattle and finds dairying a profitable business.
In 1897 Mr. Anderson married Miss Ingeborg Kylyengstead, also a Norwegian, and they became the parents of seven children. Andreas, the second in order of birth, met death by drowning in 1919, when a young man of twenty. The others are: Thora, the wife of John Parisi, of Seattle; Reuben and Ruth, twins, the latter a teacher in Hawaii; and Elis, Edward, and Margaret, all of whom are at home. Mr. Anderson belongs to the Farm Bureau and the Whatcom County Dairymen's Association. He exercises his right of franchise in support of the candidates and measures of the republican party but has never aspired to public office. His has been a life of quiet devotion to duty, but his worth has won recognition, and throughout the township he is spoken of in terms of high regard.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 682-683
Anderson, Mary D. Carew
Mrs. Mary D. Carew Anderson, widow of Edward Anderson and principal of the Roeder school in Bellingham, came to the west from Oshkosh, Wisconsin, where she was graduated from the high school and from the Wisconsin State Normal School and early became a teacher. For four years she engaged in teaching in the city of Merrill, Wisconsin, and then, in 1892, in response to a general call then being sent back east for teachers for the rapidly growing schools of Washington, she and her sister, Miss Frances C. Carew, came to this state and she became employed as principal of the Sehome (now Bellingham) schools, her sister, who in 1896 married W. P. Shanly and is still living in Bellingham, at the same time being employed as a primary teacher. For two years Miss Mary D. Carew continued as principal of the Sehome school and then was transferred to the Lincoln school, meanwhile having taken a special year's course in advanced teachers training work in California. She continued to serve as principal of the Lincoln school until her marriage in 1901 to Edward Anderson, a lumberman, whose business requires their residence in Ottawa, Canada. Later they resided for some time in Wisconsin and then in St. Paul, Minnesota, where Mr. Anderson died in 1918. Following the death of her husband Mrs. Anderson returned to Bellingham and in 1920 was installed as principal of the Roeder school in that city and has since been thus serving. She has a son, Edward Carew Anderson, born in 1907, who is now (1926) a student in the University of Washington.
Mrs. Anderson resides at 520 Garden street, where she is quite pleasantly situated. As noted above, her sister, Mra. Shanly, a former teacher in the Bellingham schools, also is a resident of that city. There is another of the Carew sisters, Rose, wife of J. L. Cosgrove, now living in Seattle, who was one of the teachers in the pioneer schools of this region, her service here having begun in 1890, two years prior to the coming of the younger sisters, Mrs. Anderson and Mrs. Shaney, and the names of the three sisters ever will be an inseparable part of the records of the schools of Bellingham during an important period in the development. Mrs. Anderson and her sisters are members of the Roman Catholic church, in the faith of which communion they were reared, and have ever been interested in the various activities of the local parish. Mrs. Anderson is an active and helpful member of the Bellingham Business and Professional Women's Club and has for years been recognized as one of the leading personal factors in the promotion of the city's general social and cultural activities.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 307-308
Nels Anderson, a well known retired merchant of Bellingham and one of the substantial property owners of Whatcom county, is of European birth but has been a resident of this country since the days of his young manhood and has never had occasion to regret the choice which inclined his travels in this direction. With the exception of three or four years spent in the Alaska mining region during the days of the big gold "rush" there, he has been a resident of Whatcom county for nearly forty years and is thus familiar with all the steps taken in the wonderful progress that has been made here during that period, for he has been a considerable personal factor in that development.
Mr. Anderson was born in the kingdom of Sweden, in 1866, and remained there until he attained his majority when, in 1887, he came to the United States, his objective being the city of Muskegon, Michigan. After getting his bearings there he went into the lumber camps in Lake county, that state, and after two years of practical experience in timbering as it is carried on in this country came to Washington to lend a hand in the great timber industry here. Upon his arrival in Seattle he learned of the great lumber enterprises then being carried on in the Bay settlements and in 1889 obtained employment in the Fairhaven (now South Bellingham) sawmills. Two or three years later he married and esablished his home here. When news of the gold strike in the Yukon country created a stampede throughout the coast country he prepared to take part in the "rush" and in 1899 went into Alaska, leaving his family here, and was gone for three years or more. Upon his return to Bellingham in1903, the year in which the present corporate name of the city was established, he entered the grocery trade here, doing business under the firm name of Anderson & Halberg and a year later the firm name became Anderson & Lynn. He was thus engaged for nine years, at the end of which time he sold his interest in that business to his partner and took a trip to Europe. Upon his return to Bellingham he again engaged in the grocery business and so continued until 1919, when he sold out and took a trip to Califonia in company with his wife. The next spring he again became connected with the grocery trade in Bellingham, as partner in the A. & L. (Anderson & Larson) grocery store. Eighteen months later he sold his interest in this store to his partner, and he and his wife took another trip to Europe. Since his return he has been giving his attention to his various property and other interests in and about Bellingham, living practically retired. In addition to his property holdings in Bellingham Mr. Anderson has a fine farm in the Lynden neighborhood and is recognized as one of the prosperous citizens of the county.
On April 16, 1892, Mr. Anderson was united in marriage to Miss Emma Burke, who also was born in Sweden and who came to the Bay settlements in 1890. They have four children, three daughters, Mrs. Hilda Larson, Mrs. Esther Sjolander and Eva, and a son, Arnold, in high school. Simon Larson, husband of the eldest of the Anderson daughter, and Emil Sjolander, husband of the second daughter, both are Bellingham merchants, engaged in the grocery business. The Sjolanders have one child, a daughter, Elaine. The Anderson family are republicans and have ever taken an interested part in local civic affairs. Mr. Anderson is a member of the local lodge of the Knights of Pythias. He and his family reside at 1322 Forest street and are quite pleasantly situated there.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 465-466
The beginning of the career of Thomas Anderson was characterized by hard work and earnest endeavor, and he owes the success which he has attained solely to his own unaided efforts, his career presenting a notable example of those qualities of mind and character which overcome obstacles and are the stronger for the test. His record since becoming a citizen of Whatcom county is one of which he may justifiably be proud, and his is numbered among the enterprising and well liked citizens of his locality. mar Anderson is a native of Norway, born on the 13th of September, 1878, and he is a son of Anders and Annie Marie Anderson, both of whom were lifelong residents of Norway, where the father followed the occupation of a sailor. Of the seven children born to this worth couple, two are living: Jorgen O., whose sketch appears on other pages of this work; and Thomas.
Thomas Anderson attended the schools of his native land until he was fourteen years of age, when he become a sailor on the high seas, following that vocation for about three years. In 1894 he came to the United States, locating in Whatcom county that same year and obtaining work in coal mines. After following that line of work for about seven years, he bought seventy acres of land three miles southeast of Sumas and immediately enter upon the tremendous task of clearing the tract of the timber and brush which encumbered it. In this he has done well, now having fifty acres cleared and in cultivation, and on this he raises splendid crops of hey, grain and sugar beets. A large part of the land is tile drained and is as fertile and productive a tract as can be found in this locality. He has erected a good set of farm buildings and made other improvements which render it one of the most desirable farms in this section of the valley. he gives considerable attention to dairying, keeping fifteen good grade cows and some young stock, as well as four young draft horses. Mr. Anderson is an up-to-date and practical farmer, doing thoroughly and well whatever he undertakes, and has gained an enviable reputation.
In 1905 Mr. Anderson was married to Miss Emma Halversen, who was born in North Dakota and who a few years prior to her marriage came to Washington, locating in Seattle. To this union have been born three children, namely: Arthur P., born September 12, 1907, who is now managing his father's ranch; Gladys M., born June 9, 1909, now a student in the hish school at Tacoma; and Eunice T., born September 19, 1915, now in grammar school. Arthur is a young man of steady and industrious habits, thoroughly understands agriculture and has managed the ranch in a businesslike and judicious manner.
Thomas Anderson has led a life of honor and true worth, being the possessor of those sterling qualities of character which commend a man to the good opinion of his fellws, and throughout this community he has long enjoyed the fullest measure of popular confidence and esteem among those who have come in contact with him, He has at all times stood for those things which tend to advance the general welfare, and his relations with his neighbors have ever been mutually pleasant and agreeable.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pg. 176
Andreas, P. P.
P. P. Andreas comes from far-away Sweden, which country has sent such a large number of enterprising and worthy citizens to this country, especially to the west, where they have had an important part in the development of the country, and where they have gained material success. Mr. Andreas was born in the southern part of Sweden, June 8, 1863, and is a son of Peter and Kate Andreas, both of whom were lifelong residents of that country. He received his education in the public schools of his native land and remained there until he had attained his majority, when, in 1884, he emigrated to the United States. He first located in Red Wing, Minnesota, where he lived for two or three years and then went to North Dakota, where he took up a homestead. He planted that land to wheat, in the raising of which he was fairly successful, and there he lived seventeen years. He then sold and went to British Columbia, where he bought twenty acres of land near the state line, on which he followed farming for seven years. In 1910 he again sold and, coming to Whatcom county, bought forty acres near Ferndale, where he has since carried on general farming, in which he has been rewarded with a very gratifying measure of success. He keeps six high-grade Guernsey cows, a pure bred bull and about three hundred hens. He raises grain and hay mostly and in all his operations exercises sound judgment and a nice discrimination that have enabled him to carry on his operations withour failure in any particular line.
In 1909 Mr. Andreas was married to Miss Nellie Torbenson, who was born and reared in the state of Wisconsin, the daughter of Carl and Mary Torbenson, both of whom were natives of Norway and who settled in Wisconsin, where they spent a number of years, later moving to the state of Washington, where their deaths occurred. To Mr. and Mrs. Andreas have been born three children, Carl, Annie and Dorothy. The Andreas home is located on the new concrete highway, and the place is maintained in a high state of improvement, the cuildings being well arranged and attractive, while all the farm operations are carried on in an up-to-date manner, modern machinery being employed and everything being so arranged as to produce the largest results with minimum labor and expense. Mr. Andreas is a man of great energy, is painstaking and careful in everything he does and his success is but the result of the thoughful and intelligent direction he has given to his work, Because of the fine record he has made here, his splendid character and excellent personal qualities, he has gained and retains an enviable place in the esteem of the entire community.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 609-610
Andrle, Frank Sr.
Coming to northwestern Washington when this was a frontier region, Frank Andrle, Sr., played well his part in the work of development and progress, and as one of the pioneer agriculturists of Whatcom county he was widely known and highly esteemed. He was born in October, 1850, in Bohemia, now known as Czecho-Slavakia, and spent his youth in his native land. He came to the United States in 1878 and first located in the middle west. He purchased a quarter section in Kansas and for five years was engaged in farming in the Sunflower state. Selling the property, he came to Washington in 1883 and was one of the earliest settlers of Lawrence township, taking up a homestead of one hundred and thirty acres. There were no roads in the district, and in this isolated section he established his home, fully realizing the magnitude of the task confronting him. After years of patient toil he cleared the land and brought it under the plow. He enriched the soil by the most efficient methods of cultivation and his fields produced abundant harvests. He continued to reside on the place until his demise in 1916 and transformed it into a desirable property, suppllied with many modern improvements. He was an honest, hard-working man and a good citizen, whose passing was deeply regretted by a large circle of sincere friends.
In 1889 Mr. Andrle was married to Miss Sophia Tikejs, also a Bohemian, and Frank, their only son, is now operating the homestead, utilizing the most modern methods in its cultivation. He is a young man of progressive ideas and is one of the valued members of the Whatcom County Dairymen's Association. He married Miss Annie Suchy, and they have become the parents of three daughters, Annie, Sophia and Lottie, all of whom are attending school.
History of Whatcom county Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pg. 945