Backer, Jens H.
Of sturdy Scandinavian stock, Jens H. Backer has progressed through the medium of his own efforts, placing his dependence upon the substantial qualities of diligence and perseverance, and he is now at the head of a prosperous business, being one of the well known merchants of Everson. A son of Hans O. and Oline Backer, he was born in 1887 and is a native of Norway. The father was a steamship agent, and he is survived by the mother, who still resides in Norway.
Jens H. Backer was educated in his native land, and in his youth he heard and heeded the call of the new world. He entered the employ of his uncle, Nels Molsted, a clothing merchant of Mount Vernon, Washington, and worked for him for a number of years, gaining valuable capital for an independent venture, and he chose Everson as the scene of his activities. In 1914 he purchased the business of David Jamison, a general merchant, and has since controlled the enterprise. Mr. Backer has enlarged the store and also owns a warehouse, to which a spur track has been extended. He carries a large stock, selling paint, feed, hardware, farm implements, ready-to-wear clothing, dry goods and boots and shoes. A progressive merchant, he is always prepared to supply the needs of the public, and a well merited reputation for honest dealing has brought him an extensive patronage.
In August, 1920, Mr. Backer was united in marriage to Miss Bertha Simpson, a daughter of John Simpson, a Whatcom county pioneer, whose biography is published elsewhere in this volume. Mr. Backer is connected with the Benevolent Protective Order of Elks and the Independent Order of Odd Fellows. He gives his political allegiance to the republican party and his public spirit finds expression in his affiliation with the Community Club. He deserves much credit for what he has accomplished, and he occupies a high place in the esteem of his fellow townsmen.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 91-92
Baer, E. W.
Throughout an active and interesting career duty has ever been the motive of action of E. W. Baer, one of the progressive farmers of Ferndale township, Whatcom county, and usefulness to his fellowmen has not been by any means a secondary consideration. He has performed well his part in life, and it is a compliment worthily bestowed to say that this locality is honored in his citizenship, for he has achieved definite success through his own efforts and is thoroughly deserving of the proud American title of self-made man. Mr. Baer was born in Monroe county, Illinois, on the 15th of August, 1865, and is a son of John and Barbara (Welsh) Baer, both of whom were born and reared in Germany. John Baer came to the United States in the late '40s and fought in the Mexican war. At the close of the war he settled on one hundred and sixty acres of land in Monroe county, Illinois, farming altogether two hundred acres, and he continued on that farm during the remainder of his life, his death occurring in 1900. His wife died in 1902.
E. W. Baer secured his education in the public schools of his native county and then, in 1887, came to Whatcom county. He was variously employed until 1890, when he bought twenty-five acres of land in Ferndale township, along the Nooksack river, the land being at that time covered with brush and stumps. He cleared this tract and put it under cultivation and later added two other tracts of sixteen and twenty-one acres respectively, so that he is now the owner of sixty-two acres of good land, well improved in every respect, and which under his skillful management has returned him a good income. He keeps fourteen good Holstein cows and about five hundred chickens, while the land is devoted to general crops, such as are common to this locality, mainly hay, grain and potatoes. He is a wide-awake, up-to-date farmer, keeping in close touch with the most approved ideas relative to the various phases of his work, and has won a high reputation among his fellow agriculturists. Mr. Baer was one of the organizers of the Farmers Mutual Telephone Company, of which he is still a member, and he is a member of the Whatcom County Daiymen's Association and the Whatcom County Poultry Association, while he and his wife are members of the Pomona Grange.
In June, 1899, Mr. Baer was married to Miss Clara Lubcke, who was born in Germany, a daughter of John Lubcke, who came to Whatcom county in 1888. He was a sailor by occupation but retired and bought a small tract of land in this county, on which he lived until his death, which occurred in 1900. His wife died in Germany in 1885. Mr. and Mrs. Baer are the parents of three children, namely: Mrs. Alice Bellinger, who was a school teacher prior to her marriage and is now living in Ferndale; Earl, who is now a student in the State Agricultural College at Pullman, Washington; and Warren H., who is a graduate of the Laurel high school and is now living at home. Personally Mr. Baer is a man of marked force of character and a pleasing personality, elements which have won for him the confidence and esteem of the people of his community, and he is recognized as being one of the leading farmers of Ferndale township.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 931-932
Baeten, H. J.
Large and important interests claim the attention and profit by the business acumen and enterprise of H. J. Baeten, one of the foremost representatives of the lumber industry of Whatcom county and a valuable citizen of Blaine. A native of Minnesota he was born in 1885 and was thirteen years of age when his parents, John and Mary Baeten, settled in King county, Washington. They moved to Whatcom in 1902 and the father worked for a time in the lumber woods, afterward locating in Bellingham, where he now resides.
H. J. Baeten attended the public schools of Minnesota and completed his education in Washington. He gained his start in life by working in lumber camps and was steadily advanced as he demonstrated his worth and ability. At length he reached a point where he was able to embark upon an independent venture and in 1917 started a mill at Maple Falls, Washington, forming the J. J. Baeten Lumber Company, which still has the plant. In 1915 the Dakota Creek Lumber & Shingle Company was organized and the business was continued under that style until October 24, 1923, when it was purchased by the present owners, the Baeten Lumber Company, of which F. D. Fobes, while the subject of this sketch acts as secretary, treasurer and manager. The mill has a capacity of twenty thousand feet, and the men work in eight-hour shifts. The firm buys logs in the open market and ships its output by rail and automobile trucks. The lumber is sold through jobbers, and the company has twenty-two employes. In the management of the concern Mr. Baeten brings to bear executive capacity and a comprehensive understanding of all departments of the lumber industry, from the operations in the logging camps to the distribution of the finished product to the centers of trade. His labors have been beneficially resultant and the business is enjoying a steady and healthful growth.
In 1911 Mr. Baeten married Miss Mattie Poalk, of Maple Falls, Washington, and they have two daughters, Bessie and Helen. Mr. Baeten is identified with the Loyal Order of Moose and his political views are in accord with the platform and principles of the republican party. He is always ready to further every worthy cause, but his interest centers in his business, and his devotion to duty, stability of purpose, progressive spirit and thorough reliability are amply illustrated in his career.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2,Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pg. 362
Bailey, B. W.
In the death of B. W. Bailey, Whatcom county lost one of its representative citizens. As the day, with its morning of hope and promise, its noontide of activity, its evening of complete and successful efforts, ending in the grateful rest and quiet of the night, so was the life of this honored man. His career was a busy and useful one, and although he devoted his attention primarily to his individual affairs, he never allowed the pursuits of wealth warp his kindly nature, but preserved his faculties and the warmth of his heart for the broadening and helpful influenced of human life, being to the end a kindly, genial friend and gentleman. Through the long years of his residence in this locality he was true to every trust reposed in him and his reputation in a business way was unassailable. He commanded the respect of all by his upright life and engraved his name indelibly on the pages of Whatcom county's history.
Mr. Bailey was born in Lawrence county, Indiana, in June, 1854, and was a son of Jesse H. and Virginia J. (Long) Bailey, both of whom also were natives of Lawrence county. The father was extensively engaged in farming and stock raising and was a man of prominence and influence in his community. He and his wife are both deceased. Of the eight children born to them, four are living, namely: Arthur H., Ariet C., Mrs. Nannie B. Allen and Mrs. Dona V. Railsback.
B. W. Bailey obtained his early education in the public schools of his home neighborhood and remained on the paternal farmstead until his marriage in 1879. He had taken a course in the Indiana State Normal School at Terre Haute and for about ten years was engaged in teaching school. He bought one hundred and sixty acres of land in Indiana about the time of his marriage and gave his attention to the cultivation of that farm until 1884, when he came to Whatcom county, Washington. On September 17th of that year he purchased eighty acres of land located along the Pacific highway, one mile north of Ferndale, and to the clearing of this place, which was densely covered with brush and stumps, he applied himself with such vigor that he was soon in the possession of a good farm. He cleared about two-thirds of the tract which he put into hay and grain, and also set out a nice orchard of apple and cherry trees. He kept fifteen high grade Holstein cows, and had about five acres of land planted to sugar beets. He was a man of sound judgment and wise discretion in his farming operations, was up-to-date in his ideas and possessed to a marked degree that element of mental poise which is ordinarily called common sense. Idleness was entirely foreign to his nature and among his fellow farmers he enjoyed a splendid reputation as an enterprising and progressive man. Personally Mr. Bailey was very popular among his associates, possessing a genial and kindly nature that attracted people to him, and his kindness of heart and hospitality were recognized by all who knew him. Because of these commendable characteristics, he enjoyed to a very pronounced degree the confidence and esteem of all who knew him. He was elected clerk of the Woodmen of the World when their camp was organized at Ferndale and continued in that office for twelve years.
Mr. Bailey was married March 4, 1879, to Miss Mary Charlotte Mayfield, who also was a native of Lawrence county, Indiana, and was a daughter of Alexander Campbell and Winnie (Short) Mayfield. Her parents were also born in Indiana and the grandparents on both sides were natives of Kentucky, Mrs. Bailey's paternal grandmother being a Boone and a relative of Daniel Boone, the noted frontiersman and Indian fighter. Mr. and Mrs. Mayfield were the parents of five children, namely: Mrs. Ila Evans, of Ferndale, Whatcom county; Mary C., now Mrs. Bailey; Dr. R. N., of Seattle, Washington; Wesley S., of Seattle; Mrs. Inda Slater, of Ferndale. To Mr. and Mrs. Bailey were born two children. Dr. A. C. Ralph Bailey, who was born in Indiana, October 23, 1880, was graduated from the high school at Bellingham, and then entered the dental college of the University of Southern California, where he graduated in 1905, with a degree of Doctor of Dental Surgery. Since then he has been continuously engaged in the practice of his profession at Bellingham and Ferndale. He is also operating a ranch on the highway near Ferndale, where he keeps two thousand laying hens. He married Miss Elsie R. Dakin, of Ferndale, and they are the parents of nine children, Buryl D., Virginia M., Warren R., Hulbert B., Mary R., Jesse H., Wesley S. and Charles M., twins, and Lurie Ariet. Jesse Guy Bailey, who was born on the homestead at Ferndale, September 6, 1885, is now living in Seattle. He married Miss Mabel E. Newkirk, and they have three children, Lois G., Raymond W. and Glen N. Jesse G. Bailey also owns a ranch of one hundred acres in Ferndale township.
Mrs. Bailey, now directing the operation of the home ranch, is a member of the Whatcom County Dairymen's Association. She is a lady of tact and sound judgment, whose gracious manner has attracted many warm friends, and she is deservedly popular in the circles in which she moves.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 712-715
Bailey, J. H.
The life record of J. H. Bailey, who is numbered among the successful dairy and poultry farmers of Lynden township, has been comparatively uneventful, as far as stirring incidents or startling adventure is concerned, yet it has been distinguished by the most substantial qualities of character. It is the record of a well balanced mental and moral constitution, strongly marked by those traits which are of special value in a state of society such as exists in this country. He was born in eastern Tennessee on the 6th of October, 1861, and is a son of James and Ann (Heald) Bailey. Both of his parents were natives of England, the father having been born in Cornwall and the mother in Derbyshire. The father followed mining in the home country and on coming to Tennessee became a mine foreman.
J. H. Bailey received his education in the public schools of his home neighborhood and in his youth went to work in the mines, working there off and on until he was twenty-one years of age. He then went to Colorado, where he was employed in the copper and silver mines for about one and a half years after which he returned to his native state. He remained there about two years, at the end of which time he went to Nebraska, locating in Fillmore county, where he was engaged in farming until 1903, though during that period he spent one year in the mines of Montana. In 1903 he went to Fergus county, Montana, where he took up a homestead, to the improvement and cultivation of which he devoted himself for seven years. In 1910 he came to Whatcom county and bought sixty acres of land, comprising his present farm, and has devoted himself to it continuously since. When he acquired this land about five acres were partly cleared, but now has thirty acres in cultivation, the remainder being in pasture. Mr. Bailey has made many permanent and substantial improvements on the land, which he has developed into a very comfortable and attractive ranch, from the operation of which he receives a nice income. He confines his attention mainly to dairying and poultry, in both of which lines he has met with merited success. He keeps eight high grade Holstein cows and about one hundred and fifty laying hens, and he intends to very materially increase the number of hens. He has shown sound judgment and discrimination in the management of his individual affairs and his ranch is now one of the most desirable properties of its size in this section of the county.
In 1896 Mr. Bailey was married to Miss Lucy Eckley, who is a native of Nebraska and a daughter of J. C. and Mary (Warden) Eckley. The father was born in Ohio and the mother in New Jersey, and they were pioneer settlers of Nebraska, where the father followed the vocation of farming. To Mr. and Mrs. Bailey have been born seven children, namely: Paul, of Bellingham, who is married and has one child; Doris, who is the wife of A. E. Blowers, of Lynden, and has one child; Charles, who is married and lives in Bellingham; and Clarence, Robert, Thomas and Victor, who are at home. Mr. Bailey belongs to the Modern Woodmen of America and to the Whatcom County Dairymen's Association and the Whatcom County Poultry Association. He has taken an active interest in local public affairs and served for one year as a member of the school board of the Greenwood district. Even tempered, patient, scrupulously honest in all the relations of life, hospitable and charitable, he has long enjoyed an enviable standing in the confidence and esteem of all classes of people in his community, where his splendid traits of character are recognized and appreciated.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 357-358
Bailey, W. S.
In the history of Whatcom county as applying to the agricultural interests, the name of W. S. Bailey, of Ferndale township, occupies a conspicuous place, for through a number of years he has stood as one of the representative men of affairs - progressive, enterprising and persevering. Such qualities always spell success and to Mr. Bailey they have brought a satisfactory reward for his well directed efforts and he is now able to take life more leisurely, enjoying that respite from labor which he has well earned through his former years of untiring effort.
Mr. Bailey is a native of Quebec, Canada, born on the 29th of November, 1859. His parents, William and Betsy (Beedy) Bailey, were both natives of the state of Vermont, where the father was born in 1821 and the mother in 1825. Of their ten children four are now living, namely: Wellman, who lives in California; Loren, of Canada; W. S., subject of this sketch; and William, of Canada.
W. S. Bailey was reared in Quebec, where his parents had homesteaded one hundred acres of land and where they spent the remainder of their lives, the mother dying in 1865 and the father in 1914. He was educated in the public schools of that locality and remained at home until 1879, when he came to the United States, locating in Minnesota, where he was employed in logging camps for two years. In 1881 he went to Tacoma, Washington, and entered the employ of the Northern Pacific Railroad as a member of a surveying crew. He was thus employed for about four months and then went to California, where he found work in the quicksilver mines of Napa and Lake counties.
In 1891 Mr. Bailey came to Whatcom county and took up a homestead of one hundred and sixty acres on Blakely island, where he lived for two years, and then came to Bellingham, working for Wright Brothers on fish traps for one season. Removing to Ferndale, he established a shingle mill, which he operated for two years, when it was destroyed by fire. Returning to Bellingham, he bought an interest in the Nehr Ross Company's shingle mill, with which he was identified for two years, but at the end of that time he sold his interests here and went to Alaska, where he spent the season of 1898 in gold mining. He then again came to Bellingham and, in partnership with John Andall, started a shingle mill, which they operated for three years, at the end of which time Mr. Bailey sold out and went to Lynden, where he built a shingle mill on the Canadian boundary line. At the end of two years he returned to Bellingham, where he remained for three or four years, being employed as a steam engineer. In the spring of 1918 he moved to the ranch which he had bought in 1903, located three miles north of Ferndale, on the river road. Originally, the farm contained one hundred and sixty acres, but Mr. Bailey sold a part of the property and is now operating sixty acres. He keeps a few cows, raises diversified crops, has an attractive home and is very comfortably situated. He also owns a good residence property in Bellingham. Mr. Bailey has made many changes in business since coming to this part of the country, but he has exercised sound judgment in all his transactions and is now in good financial circumstances and has also gained the respect and good will of all who know him.
On April 30, 1890, Mr. Bailey was married to Miss Hannah Andall, a native of Norway and a daughter of Ole Andall, who died in that country in 1880 and was survived about three decades by his widow, whose death occurred in Washington, October 8, 1910. To Mr. and Mrs. Bailey have been born four children. Oscar, born December 10, 1891, is a veteran of the World war, having served ten months overseas with the Ninety-first Division. He received an honorable discharge June 24, 1919, and he now owns and operates a ten acre ranch adjoining his father's place, keeping fourteen hundred laying hens. Roy, born January 9, 1893 was also overseas as a member of the Ninety-first Division and is now living at Livingston, Montana. Louise died in infancy. Loren H., born April 21, 1909, is a student in the Ferndale high school.
Mr. Bailey is a member of Bellingham Camp, Woodmen of the World, and also belongs to the Whatcom County Dairymen's Association. Quiet and unostentatious in manner, never-the-less Mr. Bailey possesses a forceful personality, standing at all times for the best things in community life and throwing his influence in favor of all measures for the advancement of the public welfare. His kindly and generous disposition and his genial and warm-hearted manner have won for him a high place in the hearts and affections of his neighbors and friends.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 760-763
Baller, Clarence E.
One of the most progressive residents of Whatcom county is Clarence E. Baller, of Ten Mile township whose indomitable courage, persistent and aggressive efforts and excellent management have brought to him well deserved prosperity. He has ever been ready to lend his aid in pushing forward the wheels 'of progress and advance the prosperity of his community, and his career has been one well worthy of the high esteem in which he is generally held.
Mr. Baller is a native of Whatcom county, having been born at Bellingham on the 15th of June, 1891, and he is a son of Frank J. and Barbara E. (Ziegelmier) Baller. His father was a native of Wisconsin, from which state he moved to Illinois. There he lived until 1888, when he came to Whatcom county, locating at Bellingham, where for several years he served as gardener to Fort Bellingham. In 1893 he bought a tract across the street, comprising thirty acres, to which he later added thirty acres more. The land was heavily timbered and the only highway to it was merely a trail. However, he applied himself vigorously to the task of clearing it and eventually had thirty acres cleared and in cultivation. He resided there until his death, which occurred in 1912, while his wife, who was a native of Illinois, died in 1921. They were the parents of two children: Frank W., born in Illinois, who now lives near Grays Harbor and who is married and has three children; and Clarence E. The father was a man of industry and sterling qualities. He was interested in the general welfare of the community and rendered effective service for many years as a member of the school board.
Clarence E. Baller received his education in the Victor school and remained on the home farm, assisting his father until the latter's death. He subsequently bought the place on which he now lives, comprising ten acres of heavily timbered land, all of which is now cleared. Some idea of the thick growth of timber on the place may be gained from the statement that Mr. Baller cut ten cords of shingle bolts on the lot where the house now stands. He has given his attention mainly to the chicken business, his place being known as "Baller's Jubilee Hatchery," which has a capacity of thirty thousand eggs. He keeps three thousand laying hens and during the summer months ships an average of thirty cases of eggs a week, being an independent marketer. Mr. Baller ships chickens to all parts of Whatcom county and a good many to outside points, his stock being commended generally by those who have bought from him. He keeps white Leghorns, of the Hollywood strain, and is painstaking and careful in his handling of this phase of the business. Starting the enterprise about seven years ago with four hundred yearling hens, he as steadily and gradually increased his business until today he is enjoying a very satisfactory measure of success. About 1918 Mr. Baller built the present home, which is a very comfortable and well arranged house, and for about four years afterward he worked in shingle mills.
In 1915 Mr. Baller was married to Miss Minnie Moffett, who was born in Minnesota, a daughter of John and Nettie (Rollins) Moffett, and to them have been born two children, Billie M. and Barbara E. Fraternally Mr. Baller is a member of Bellingham Lodge No 151, Free and Accepted Masons. In his business he has been a close observer of modern methods and is a student at all times of whatever pertains to his life work. He is universally recognized as a splendid citizen, one of Whatcom county's leading men of affairs. Progressive in all that the term implies, a man of sturdy integrity, sound business judgment, fine public spirit and generous heart, he has long enjoyed the unbounded esteem and hearty good will of all with whom he has come in contact.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 32-33
John Barber, who spent the last fourteen years of his life in honorable retirement at Bellingham, passed away on the 8th of November, 1922, at the age of seventy-eight. A native of England, he was born in 1844 and was a lad of eleven years when he accompanied his parents on their immigration to the United States. His father was a tinsmith by trade. The family lived in Pennsylvania for a time and subsequently settled in Maryland, where John Barber acquired his early education. On attaining his majority he made his way to California via Cape Horn and went into the gold fields of that state. Returning to Maryland, he worked in the coal mines there for some time and next spent a period of seven years on a homestead claim in Madison, South Dakota. On disposing of that property he again went back to Maryland, where he worked in the coal mines prior to turning his attention to agricultural pursuits, and for five years he lived on a farm there. It was about 1908 that he again made his way westward, this time journeying across the continent to Bellingham, Washington, where he continued to reside throughout the remainder of his life, enjoying the fruits of his former toil in well earned ease.
In 1885 Mr. Barber was united in marriage to Miss Eliza Taylor, who was born in England and who, like her future husband, came to the United States with her parents at the age of eleven years. Her father was a coal miner. The family home was established in Maryland, in which state Miss Taylor resided up to the time of her marriage. Mr. and Mrs. Barber became the parents of eight children, seven of whom survive, as follows: Mrs. Jane Most, who resides at Bellingham, Washington, and is the mother of one son; John, living at Bellingham; Zilpha, who is employed in the Bellingham post office; William, also a resident of Bellingham; James G.; Edwin T., who is a student in the State College of Washington at Pullman; and Alice E., a graduate of the State Normal School at Bellingham.
At the polls Mr. Barber supported the men and measures of the republican party, believing firmly in its principles. His religious faith was indicated by his membership in the Episcopal church, to which his widow and children also belong, while fraternally he was affiliated with the Masons and the Independent Order of Odd Fellows. His death was deeply regretted throughout Bellingham, where Mrs. Barber has also made many warm friends. The latter resides at No. 2825 Meridian street.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 96-97
Barbo, Charles C.
Charles C. Barbo, one of Bellingham's self-made men, is a member of a large contracting firm that has done much important work along the line of road building, and in the conduct of his business affairs he has displayed that spirit of enterprise which works for individual success and also constitutes a factor in public prosperity. He was born in Norway in 1865 and was five years of age when his parents, Lars and Sophia Barbo, settled in Wisconsin. The father was one of the pioneer agriculturists of that state, in which he followed the occupation of farming for fifteen years, and there passed away. The mother came to Bellingham in 1890 and remained a resident of the city until her demise, which occurred in 1913.
Charles C. Barbo was educated in the public schools of Wisconsin and in 1888 started for the Pacific coast. He spent a year in Spokane, Washington, and in 1889 came to Fairhaven. He entered the employ of William McCush and for seven years worked in the logging camps of Washington. He then purchased a farm and for about twelve years his energies were devoted to the cultivation of the soil. On the expiration of that period he rented the ranch and moved to Bellingham, forming a partnership with his brother, Paul E. The firm of Barbo Brothers has established an enviable reputation as road contractors, and the business has been in operation for twenty years. Its members are men of proven worth and ability and their word is always to be relied upon. They are recognized experts in the line in which they specialize and through concentrated effort and efficient management have established a business of extensive proportions, extending throughout the state. They built and graded the Nooksack road and in Skagit county constructed six miles of railroad for the Clear Lake Lumber Company. They laid thirteen blocks of sidewalk on Carolina street in Bellingham and graded the Chuckanut road. They graded and graveled the Deming road and the Columbia, Jones and Rock roads in Sumas, executing their contracts promptly and in a thoroughly satisfactory manner.
In February, 1901, Mr. Barbo married Miss Mary A. Kerr, of Boston, Massachusetts. Her parents, George and Catherine (Walker) Kerr, resided on a farm in the east and in 1901 came to Washington, settling in Sumas, where both passed away. To Mr. and Mrs. Barbo were born five children: Iona B., who is taking a course in the State Normal School at Bellingham; Carl, a high school graduate and now associated with his father in business; Mary, a high school student; and George and Kerney, who are attending Grammar school. The members of the family are affiliated with the Methodist church, and Mr. Barbo is a republican in his political convictions. He enjoys the esteem of many friends and full deserves the honor that is accorded the fortunate individual who has fought and won in the great battle of life.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 589-590
Barlow, Clifford H.
Clifford H. Barlow has achieved noteworthy success as a dealer in leather and represents a family whose members have been leaders of business enterprise in Bellingham for a period of thirty-seven years. A son of Frank J. and Marie (Hitz) Barlow, he was born in 1874 and is a native of Illinois. His father was a well known harness manufacturer of that state and in 1889 came to the Pacific coast. He opened a harness shop in Bellingham and continued the business until motor vehicles came into general use. He then became a dealer in automobiles and was successful in the undertaking, continuing in that field of activity until his retirement in 1919. He still resides in Bellingham, but the mother passed away in 1923.
Clifford H. Barlow attended the public schools of Illinois and completed his education in the Bellingham high school, being fifteen years of age when the family home was established in this city. He learned the trade of a harness maker under his father, whom he assisted in conducting the business, and later started out for himself, opening a leather goods store. He handles all kinds of traveling goods, etc., and transacts a wholesale business in shoe findings. He employs traveling salesmen whose trade extends as far west as Seattle. His establishment is situated at No. 211 West Holly street and the line of leather goods which he carries ranks with the best in the state. His knowledge of the business is comprehensive and exact and the rapid increase in his trade is the result of judicious management and honorable dealing.
In 1900 Mr. Barlow was united in marriage to Miss Carrie A. Jarvis, of Bellingham, and theirs is one of the attractive and hospitable homes of the city. Mr. Barlow is a thirty-second degree Mason and Shriner and is also identified with the Benevolent Protective Order of Elks and the Independent Order of Add Fellows. In political matters he follows the dictates of his judgment and his support of a candidate is an indication of his firm belief in his qualifications for public service. Mr. Barlow belongs to the Bellingham Rotary and Country Clubs, and the Chamber of Commerce also numbers him among it valued members. His life has been actuated by the spirit of progress and crowned with success. In the upbuilding of his business he has aided in expanding the trade relations of his city and his worth to the community is uniformly conceded.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 232-233
Barlow, T. Marvin, D. M. D.
Dr. T. Marvin Barlow is one of Bellingham's well known dental practitioners and for more than twenty years has continuously followed his profession in this city, where his ability is widely recognized. He was born in 1876 in the state of Illinois and was thirteen years of age when his parents, Frank J. and Marie R. (Heiz) Barlow, migrated to northwestern Washington, establishing their home in Whatcom. Dr. Barlow completed a course in the Fairhaven high school and afterward attended the University of Washington, from which he was graduated in 1900. He prepared for his profession in the North Pacific Dental College at Portland, Oregon, receiving his degree in 1904, and has since maintained an office at Bellingham.
In 1903 Dr. Barlow was united in marriage to Miss Helen M. Huntoon, a sister of B. W. Huntoon, whose biography appears elsewhere in this volume. They have three children: Marie, who is engaged in teaching; and Marvin K. and Max E., both students at the University of Washington.
Dr. Barlow also figures prominently in financial affairs, being a director of the American National Bank and the Bellingham Savings & Loan Association, and receives a good income from his investments. He has attained the thirty-second degree in Masonry, is a Shriner and is also an Elk. He belongs to the Bellingham Golf and Country Club and the Rotary Club and is a republican in his political convictions. Dr. Barlow is popular in social circles of the city and lends the weight of his support to all worthy public projects. He keeps well informed concerning any new developments in his profession and is regarded as one of the leading dentists of this part of the state.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pg. 49
Barnard, O. C.
By a straightforward and commendable course, O. C. Barnard has made his way to an enviable position in the agricultural world of Whatcom county, winning the hearty admiration of the people of his community and earning a reputation as an enterprising, progressive man of affairs. He was born in Venango county, Pennsylvania, on the 13th day of November, 1866, and is a son of Joseph D. and Ellen (Benson) Barnard, the father a native of Crawford county, Pennsylvania, and the mother of Genesee county, New York. Joseph D. Barnard was a farmer by occupation, but also did considerable work in the oil fields having assisted in drilling the third oil well put down in Oil City, Pennsylvania, about 1860. In 1862 he enlisted for service in the Civil are, in which he bore an honorable part until the close, when he returned to Pennsylvania and again engaged in the oil business. In 1871 he moved to New York state and bought one hundred and sixty acres of land near Little Valley, Cattaraugus county, where he remained until 1895, when he retired and located in Ohio, where his death occurred in 1910. His wife is still living. To this worthy couple were born seven children, four of whom are living, namely: Frank, born May 18, 1860, and now deceased; O. C.; Ina, born June 5, 1868, who died in infancy; Arthur, born September 13, 1870; Allie, born November 29, 1872; Von, who was born May 12, 1874, and died May 14, 1879; and Frona, born March 2, 1880.
O. C. Barnard attended the public schools of New York state and also Sugargrove Seminary, in Pennsylvania, for two years. On leaving school he went to the oil fields at Bradford, Pennsylvania, where he was employed until 1892, when he went to Oakdale, Pennsylvania, where he was identified with the oil business for about eighteen months. He then moved to Conneaut Lake, New York, which was his home for two years, at the end of which time he went to Findlay, Ohio, and was connected with the oil business there for about ten years. In 1903 Mr. Barnard came to Bellingham, Washington, and went to work as a millwright, in which he met with success, having built about ten saw and shingle mills in this part of the state. In March, 1916, he bought twenty acres of land in Ferndale township, near Laurel, the land being entirely unimproved and covered with brush and stumps. He has cleared about half of the land which he has devoted to general farming, raising diversified crops, and also keeps four good Jersey cows and a thousand chickens. In 1920 he built a fine, modern house, of six rooms, comfortably arranged and attractive in appearance, and also has a chicken house twenty-eight by one hundred and twenty-two feet in size, a garage, work shop and tool shed. He does thoroughly whatever he undertakes and now has a very cosy and valuable home. Mr. Barnard is a member of the Pomono Grange, the Whatcom County Poultry Association and the Whatcom County Farm Bureau. He is keenly interested in horticulture and has planted about his place many varieties of fruit and nut trees, all of which, under his care, are thriving nicely. He is a firm believer in irrigation and is planning to install an irrigation system on his place.
On February 12, 1890, was consummated the marriage of Mr. Barnard to Miss Maggie J. James, who was born in Venango county, Pennsylvania, the daughter of Benjamin and Elizabeth (Foster) James, the former engaged in the oil business. To Mr. and Mrs. Barnard has been born a daughter Rhea F., who is now the wife of John Pinckney, of Aberdeen, Washington. She is a graduate of the high school and the State Normal School at Bellingham, and also attended the State University two terms, after which she taught school for eleven years. Strong and forceful in his relations with his fellowmen, Mr. Barnard has gained the good will and commendation of all with whom he has come in contact, retaining his reputation for integrity and high character. He public-spirited interest in everything pertaining to the general welfare has led him to support all laudable movements for public improvement, and he is well liked by all who know him.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 835-836
Barnum, William T.
William T. Barnum, formerly a well known contractor, is now devoting his energies to the cultivation of the soil and has developed a fine ranch in Deming township. He was born November 25, 1862, and is a native of Durand, Wisconsin, of which state his parents, Thomas K. and Angie (Delano) Barnum were pioneers. The father afterward migrated to Washington and resided for some time in Centralia, subsequently establishing his home in Seattle, where he spent the remainder of his life. He followed the trade of a millwright. The mother's demise also occurred in Seattle.
William T. Barnum attended the public schools of Wisconsin and completed his studies in Minneapolis, Minnesota. He was connected with building operations for a number of years, becoming thoroughly familiar with the work, and in 1900 embarked in the contracting business in Seattle. He was thus engaged for twenty years, filling many important contracts, and contributed materially toward the improvement of that city. In 1920 he retired from that line of business and has since followed agricultural pursuits. He owns a thirty acre ranch near Deming and in its operation utilizes the most advanced methods, devoting much thought and study to his work. His place is well cared for and is supplied with many modern improvements.
In 1894 Mr. Barnum was married, in Minneapolis, Minnesota, to Helen Garland, a native of Maine. She had two children by her first marriage, and her demise occurred in 1906. In 1909 Mr. Barnum was united in marriage to Miss Emma Williams, a daughter of Edward A. and Lydia (Owen) Williams, and a member of one of the pioneer families of Deming township, in which her brother, John F. Williams, settled in 1883. Another brother, Edward M. Williams, is one of the well known dairymen of this district and also operates a poultry farm. Mr. Barnum in connected with the Woodmen of the World and in politics is non-partisan, relying upon his own judgment in matters of this nature. He is liberal and broadminded in his views on all subjects and enjoys the esteem of many friends.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pg. 572
Baron, Harry H.
The horizon of each man's achievements is fixed by his own powers. In his brief business career Harry H. Baron has found that there is always room at the top for the individual endowed with the qualities of enterprise, determination and intelligence, and as the executive head of The Fair he occupies a commanding position in mercantile circles of Bellingham. He was born in 1894 and is a native of Colorado. He attended the public schools of Denver and after completing his education assisted his father, who was engaged in merchandising at Dillon, Colorado. He diligently applied himself to his tasks and gradually mastered every detail of the business.
The Fair was established about 1895 by Charles Cissna and is one of the oldest mercantile houses in Bellingham. Mr. Clarke next became proprietor of the store, which was subsequently acquired by Tony De Muth, and later the business was purchased by the Stone-Fisher Company, a Tacoma corporation operating a chain of department stores in the state. The building was closed for three years and in 1913 was reopened by Charles Cissna. In 1923 Harry H. Baron bought his stock and leased the building and fixtures. The store is fifty by one hundred and thirty-five feet in dimensions and contains a balcony. Since assuming the duties of president Mr. Baron has modernized The Fair, which now ranks with the most up-to-date department stores of northwestern Washington, and under his competent direction the business is enjoying a rapid growth. He handles toys, hardware, crockery, shoes, millinery, wearing apparel for men and women and a complete line of dry goods. He gives to his patrons good value for the amount expended and is always prepared to supply the needs of the public, knowing that satisfied customers constitute the best advertisement.
In 1923 Mr. Baron married Miss Fannie Glazer, of Bellingham, a daughter of Lewis Glazer, and to this union has been born one child, Mayer Irwin. Mr. Baron went to France with the American Expeditionary Force and spent fourteen months overseas. He belongs to the American Legion, the Lions Club and the Bellingham Chamber of Commerce. He is a thirty-second degree Mason and Shriner and is also connected with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows. In politics he follows an independent course, regarding the qualifications of a candidate as a matter of prime importance, and is in complete accord with every worthy public project. Mr. Baron is deserving of much credit for what he has accomplished and measurers up to the full stature of American manhood and citizenship.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 811-812
Barrett, Charles H.
The men who push forward the wheels of progress are those for whom satisfaction lies ever in the future and who labor continuously, finding in each transition stage an incentive to further effort. Charles H. Barrett, well known farmer of Ferndale township, is one whose well-directed and persistent efforts have gained for him a position of prominence in the locality honored by his residence. He was born at Benton Harbor, Michigan, on the 9th of October, 1867, and is a son of Charles and Caroline (Wolcott) Barrett, the former a native of New York state and the latter born in Derinda, Illinois. The father went to Michigan in 1851, when sixteen years of age, and located at Benton Harbor, of which locality he was a pioneer. He secured a tract of land, clearing off sixty-five acres of heavy timber, and lived there until 1869, when he went to Illinois. Three years later he bought one hundred and seventy-one acres of land in Rush township, Jo Daviess county, Illinois, and there developed a fine homestead and remained until 1905, when he came to Bellingham, Washington, with his son. His death occurred here October 3, 1907, and he was survived by his widow, whose death, occurred in April, 1919. Of the twelve children who blessed the union of this worthy couple, seven are now living: Mary Ellen, Charles H., Eliza Ann, George N., Clarence A., Orpha and Aura.
Charles H. Barrett was educated in the public schools of Illinois and remained at home until about 1893, when he went to Nebraska and located on a ranch. After a year he sold it and went to Iowa, locating on a farm near Laurens, where he remained until December, 1905. He then came to Whatcom county and in the spring of 1906 bought fifty-one acres of land on the Blaine highway, in Ferndale township. The tract was practically all covered with stumps and brush, but he exerted energetic efforts and soon began to get the land under the plow. He now has about half of the acreage cleared, and he raises fine crops of beans, potatoes and berries. He also keeps from eight to ten good cows and about fifteen hundred laying hens. He has worked hard since coming to this farm but has been rewarded with very satisfactory returns and is numbered among the prosperous and enterprising farmers of Ferndale township. In 1911 Mr. Barrett erected a well arranged, modern and comfortable residence and in 1919 built a substantial and commodious barn. He has the best of equipment for use in all departments of his farm work.
On March 6, 1890, Mr. Barrett was married to Miss Mattie Way, who was born and reared in Illinois, a daughter of G. D. and Elizabeth (Unthank) Way. Her paternal grandfather was a physician and was a pioneer of the state of Indiana. Jonathan Unthank, her maternal grandfather, was a Quaker minister at Fountain City, Indiana and was also engaged in the mercantile business there before the Civil war. He took an active part in the pre-war efforts to free the slaves, and he also assisted Mrs. Harriet Beecher Stowe in shaping the story of "Uncle Tom's Cabin." G. D. Way was a farmer in Illinois, where he spent practically his entire life, retiring a few years before his death, which occurred at Stockton, that state, in 1906. His widow died in California about 1908. They were the parents of ten children, five of whom are now living: Mattie, Mrs. W. M. Sprowl, W. M., F. R. and Josephine. To Mr. and Mrs. Barrett have been born six children: Rola, who is a graduate of the Ferndale high school and of the State Normal School at Bellingham, is now teaching in the Ferndale schools; Hazel became the wife of W. L. Willey and is the mother of two children - Kenneth, born December 12, 1919; and Dorothy, born August 16, 1921. Bernice, who was graduated from the Ferndale high school and the State Normal School, taught for five years and is now the wife of D. C. Wootton; Harley F. is a high school graduate. Wilbur, also a graduate of the high school, earned a scholarship and is now attending the State Agricultural College at Pullman. Cecille is now in high school.
Mr. Barrett has always been a strong friend of education and an earnest advocate of good roads. he was mainly instrumental in securing the establishment of a high school at Ferndale and in many other ways has shown a deep interest in the welfare and advancement of the community. He and his wife are members of the Grange and he is a member of the Whatcom County Dairymen's Association and the Whatcom County Poultry Association. Mr. Barrett is a good business man, energetic and progressive, and bears a high reputation throughout the community as a substantial man of affairs and a public-spirited citizen. he is affable and friendly in manner and has a large circle of loyal friends.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 131-132
Barrett, James F., Rev.
Rev. James F. Barrett, one of the strong individual forces in the spread of the Catholic religion is pastor of the Church of the Assumption at Bellingham, which he has served well and faithfully for a period of thirteen years, and he enjoys in an enviable degree the respect and love of his parishioners. He is a native of Ireland and when a boy of twelve arrived in New York city. After completing his preliminary education he entered the Grand Seminary at Montreal, Canada, the largest theological school on the American continent, and was graduated with the class of 1906. He was ordained a priest and in 1906 came to Washington as assistant in one of the Catholic churches of Seattle. Later he filled a similar position at Spokane, Washington, spending two years in that city, and was next called to Sedro Woolley as pastor of St. Mary's church. While serving that parish a fine house of worship was erected through his instrumentality. In 1913 he came to Bellingham.
The Church of the Assumption was established by the Rev. J. B. Boulet and is the oldest in the city. Father Boulet was succeeded by the Rev. L. W. Perland and since 1913 the church has been under the direction of Father Barrett, whose labors have been resultant both in spiritual and temporal advancement. He has been the counselor and friend of his parishioners, always ready to assist them in solving the problems and complexities of life, and his ability, sincerity and public spirit have gained him the unqualified esteem of his fellow citizens, irrespective of their religious affiliations. The church property covers four acres and represents an investment of over three hundred thousand dollars. The school building will accommodate five hundred pupils and has an attendance of three hundred and fifty. The high school is exclusively for girls and the course of instruction is very thorough. The parsonage contains twelve rooms and the church is the largest in the state with the exception of one in Seattle. It has a seating capacity of eight hundred and a membership of fifteen hundred souls, thus exerting a strong force for moral progress in the community which it serves.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pg. 326
Any one familiar with farming methods will be deeply interested in watching the eventual outcome of the experiments and operations now being conducted on "Three Birch Farm," owned by M. Barrett, in Lynden township. That Mr. Barrett does thoroughly whatever he undertakes is being demonstrated in no uncertain manner by the way in which he is developing this property, for he is attaining remarkable results in a number of different lines and is gaining a splendid reputation as a progressive and up-to-date farmer.
Mr. Barrett is a native of Hastings county, Ontario, Canada, born in 1859, and is a son of M. and Anna (McHale) Barrett, both of whom were natives of Ireland, though the father was reared in England. The family came to the United States in 1869, when our subject was ten years of age, and located in Antrim county, Michigan, where the father homesteaded a tract of land and developed a good farm. There our subject was reared, securing his education in a log schoolhouse about three miles from his home. He remained at home until he was about eighteen years of age, when he started out on his own account, working on neighboring farms and in the woods, being employed at the latter work in Michigan and Wisconsin. In 1892 he went to Alberta, Canada, and bought one hundred sixty acres of land, where he carried on mixed farming and also raised cattle. He remained there until 1906, when he came to Mountain View township, Whatcom county, and bought forty acres of raw land, which he cleared and developed into a good farm. Later he bought fifteen acres near Ferndale, where he remained until 1917. He could not secure hired help, so he rented his forty acre tract and went to Bellingham, soon afterward selling his small farm.
Mr. Barrett bought a small place at Bellingham and lived there until October 31, 1924, when he bought his present place of forty acres in Lynden township. This was an old ranch, but the clearing of it had been poorly done, so that a vast amount of work has been required to get the place in good condition. The buildings also were in bad shape, requiring considerable repairing and painting, but they now present a very attractive appearance. After removing a vast number of stumps and roots and cutting out much brush, Mr. Barrett was at length enabled to five some attention to the cultivation of the soil, which he found was exceedingly rich and fertile. While he expects to make hay and grain his principal crops, he has wisely experimented with a number of field crops and vegetables to ascertain just what seems best adapted to the soil, and some of the results have been even beyond his expectations. In experimenting with potatoes he secured fifty-eight potatoes from one hill, several of which weighed three and a quarter pounds each. He has achieved wonderful results in the growing of cabbage, tomatoes, celery, turnips, squash and pumpkins, some of the latter weighing seventy-five pounds, and on a piece of stump land he secured an average of thirty-eight bushels of wheat to the acre. He keeps sixteen head of cattle, six of which are registered Guernseys, and he also has a registered sire. Mr. Barrett is likewise giving some attention to chickens, keeping four hundred laying hens. He has a good, productive berry patch, and he is fortunate in having very fine water on the place. In every essential respect the tract which he secured is very desirable, for it appears to have wonderful possibilities. Mr. Barrett is just the sort of a man to develop such a place, and among his fellow farmers he has gained an enviable reputation.
In Michigan, Mr. Barrett was married to Miss Hattie B. Messinger, who was born in New York state, a daughter of Isaac Messinger, a farmer. Mrs. Barrett's mother died when the daughter was very young. To Mr. and Mrs. Barrett has been born a daughter, Mabel, now the wife of Byron Morgan, of Seattle. Mr. Barrett formerly took an active part in local public affairs, having served for three years as a deputy sheriff while living in Alberta, and he also served as a government land guide. Fraternally he is a member of the Knights of Pythias. He possesses to a large degree those qualities which commend a man to the good opinion of his fellowmen, for not only has he been markedly successful in his individual affairs, but he has also given due attention to the general welfare of the locality in which he lives, supporting all measures for the advancement of the public welfare and maintaining a generous attitude toward all worthy benevolent objects. Genial and companionable, he has gained a wide acquaintance throughout this section of the county and enjoys universal confidence and esteem.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 68-69
Basford, Charles E., Captain
Captain Charles E. Basford, who for fifty years was one of the best known mariners in the coastwise trade on this side of the Pacific, left the sea in the spring of 1925 and is now living comfortably retired in Bellingham, being one of the honored pioneers of Whatcom county. He has been here since 1872 and has thus seen this community develop from its "day of small things," taking an active part in that development.
Captain Basford was born in Iowa in the year 1860 and when but a child was bereft by death of his parents. When he was ten years old he had come to be a sufficiently skilled teamster to be intrusted with the care of a team driving over the prairies of Iowa for two years and thus earning his railroad fare west. With the Armstrong family he came into Whatcom county in the fall of 1872, the party settling at what is now Blanchard, Skagit county but which then was included within the larger county of Whatcom. In the summer of 1873 he worked on a cattle ranch and in the next year had come to be a sufficiently adept rancher to be intrusted with the job of shearing sheep. In the fall of 1874 he got a job as a cabin boy on the bark "Osborn," a sailing vessel at that time well known along the coast, and thus began his career as a mariner, which he followed with continuing success in these waters until his recent retirement after a period of half a century.
Captain Basford's rise to a master's berth was rapid. When sixteen years of age he was certified as an able seaman. He then was sailing on the old Germania, freighting coal from Bellingham Bay to San Francisco under command of Captain Baker. After a time he quit the "windjammers" and took service on steamers with the Moran brothers, and during the years 1878-79 was one of the crew of the mail boat "Dispatch," from Port Townsend to outlying ports on this coast and in the islands. In 1880, when nineteen years of age, he successfully passed examination and got his mate's papers. For two years he served as mate on the Dispatch and was then mate on the Liza Anderson running between Olympia and Victoria. In 1886 Captain Basford earned his master's license and from that time until his recent retirement had a varied and interesting career as skipper, twenty years of this service being with the Newhall line as master of the Buckeye and the Islander. Among other vessels of which he was at one time or another captain may be mentioned the Kingston, the Lydia Thompson, the Evangel, the Burton and the Morning Star. In the spring of 1925 Captain Basford resigned and returned to land, buying a ranch near Everson and expecting, as so many retired seafaring men have expected with more or less anticipation of success, to go into the chicken business, a line in which his hosts of friends wish him all kinds of good luck.
(typing errors) ... to Miss Ella O'Bryant, who died in 1901. To that union were born four children but the daughters, Nora and Laura are deceased, and one son, Fred, who was a steamboat man is also deceased. The other son, Irving L. Basford, is Chief Engineer for the Standard Oil Company. The elder daughter, Nora, married Alfred Bull and died in 1924. On January 1, 1902, in Vancouver, British Columbia, Captain Basford married Miss Mae V. Hansard and to this union one child has been born, Charles Edmund, a veteran of the World war, who studied navigation in the University of Washington and is now a licensed pilot, operating in the waters between San Francisco and Sacramento. He was but sixteen years of age when in 1917 he entered the service, enlisting in the Marine Corps, and he had more than two years of service, his discharge not coming until some time after the close of the war. He is a member of the Masonic order. Mrs. Basford was born in Geauga county, Ohio, of which state her parents also were natives. Her first acquaintance with Whatcom county was made in 1888 but for some years before returning to Bellingham she was a resident of Colorado.
Captain Basford is a Scottish Rite Mason and Mrs. Basford is a member of the local chapter of the Order of the Eastern Star, both taking an earnest interest in Masonic affairs. They reside at No. 1313 Garden street, Bellingham and are quite pleasantly situated there.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 782-785
Bathen, C. N.
C. N. Bathen, head to the Custer Mercantile Company of Custer and one of the most energetic and progressive merchants in Whatcom county, had a somewhat adventurous career before getting started in mercantile business twenty years ago but upon making that start found that he had at last struck his pace and he has long been recognized as one of the leading business men of this section of Washington. A Norwegian by birth, Mr. Bathen was born on a farm in the province of Bergen, not far from the city of that name, in 1872, and is a son of H. N. and Martha (Molland) Bathen, the latter of whom spent all her life in Norway. The old home farm in Bergen is now in the possession of Mr. Bathen's eldest brother. H. N. Bathen is now living in Norway. He will be recalled by the pioneers of Whatcom county as one of the men who helped clear the site for the Fairhaven settlement which in time became incorporated with the present city of Bellingham and was thus one of the men who helped pave the way the the "boom" which that site so greatly enjoyed in the days when it proudly proclaimed itself "The Focal City" and "The Imperial City". He had come to the United States on a general prospecting trip about 1880 and after residing for a time in Wisconsin and North Dakota came to the Puget Sound country in 1888 and took a part in development work here.
Reared in his native Norway, C. N. Bathen remained on the home farm until he attained his majority when in 1893 he came to the United States and joined his father at Fairhaven, finding the latter "baching" there. He remained with his father for a while but found prospects for work not at all what he had expected, for that was the great "panic" year in which Fairhaven's bubble of expected greatness burst, and he started south seeking employment at Burlington and Anacortes in the neighboring county of Skagit. Conditions there, however, were no more promising than he had found them at Fairhaven and he returned to the latter place. There were no jobs to be had, however, and he went to Birch Bay, where he found employment in a logging camp. He worked there until December and when it came time to draw his pay there was no money in sight and he walked back to Fairhaven without the wages he had been counting on. "Hard times" had the country in its grip and industrial operations here were practically suspended for the time. The young Norwegian adventurer began to wonder about the truth of the stories that had been so long coming into his home land of the great possibilities for constant work and big wages to be found in America. The thought of the wages he had been deprived of on the first job he had "landed" here continually rankled. The stories he had been hearing back in Norway had not prepared him for such callous treatment. In the following winter he got a job on the building of the road to Lake Samish. He got his pay for that work and his belief in American fair play was thus restored. Then he became employed in the lumber camps and as work along that line began to pick up again he continued this employment, working in various camps, until 1905. For ten years he had been saving his earnings and by that time had accumulated a fund that gave him warrant for the desire to leave the logging camps and get into a settled business of his own.
It was in 1905 that Mr. Bathen, in association with P. S. Mundal, bought the general store that was being operated at Custer by Walter Bronson and James Beatty, who had established themselves in business there the year before, starting their store in the abandoned school building which stood on the site of the present Bathen store. When Bathen & Mundal took over the business they extended the same, increasing their stock in preparation for a general neighborhood supply business. Mr. Bathen was the delivery man of the firm and he has not forgotten the long hard hauls he had to make on many an occasion and the tangled roads he encountered, it being necessary always to have an ax and a peavey on the wagon for the clearing of the ways that is some places he otherwise would have found impassable. For three years the firm occupied the old schoolhouse and then moved it to the back of the lot and built a more commodious store at the front, using the old building for reserve stock. In 1910 this old building was removed and additions built, the present building, forty-five by one hundred and twenty feet in dimension, being the largest store room in the county outside the cities. In 1922 Mr. Bathen took over Mr. Mundal's interest and has since been sole proprietor, doing business under the name of the Custer Mercantile Company, and has built up a fine trade. He carries everything required in the trade area centering at Custer, including groceries, hardware, dry goods, shoes, furnishings, crockery, paints and feed, perhaps the most complete general stock in the county, outside the cities.
In 1910 at Bellingham, Mr. Bathen was united in marriage to Miss Emma Larsen, whose acquaintance he had made in Wisconsin while on a visit with kinsfolk (sic) there, and they have a daughter, Margaret, born in 1915 and now in school. Mrs. Bathen was born in Dane county, Wisconsin, and is a daughter of Bjorgo Larsen, who had come to this country in the '60s. He is now living at Madison, Wisconsin. Mr. and Mrs. Bathen have a pleasant home at Custer and take an interested and helpful part in the general social activities of the community. Mr. Bathen is a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, active in the affairs of that fraternal organization. He is widely and well known in commercial circles throughout the county and has long been recognized as one of the leading village merchants in this section.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 365-366
Battersby, R. W.
R. W. Battersby was long one of the leading business men of Whatcom county, of which has been a resident since 1889. His well directed efforts in the practical affairs of life, his capable management of his business interests and his sound judgment brought him large returns, and he is now able to take life more leisurely and enjoy the fruits of his years of earnest effort. During the entire period of his life spent here he has been numbered among the enterprising and progressive citizens of the county, giving consistent support to every movement for the upbuilding and progress of the community.
Mr. Battersby was born at Coal Valley, Rock Island county, Illinois, on the 6th of February, 1863, and is a son of Richard and Bettie (Seville) Battersby, both of whom were natives of England. The father came to the United States in young manhood and during his early years here he and an uncle were engaged in the brewery business, while later he was engaged in the coal mining business in Rock Island county, Illinois, in which he was fairly successful. Our subject secured a good public school education in Rock Island county and then for about seven years was with his father in the coal business, later engaging in the mercantile business at Coal Valley in partnership with his brother, Peter S. In 1888 the latter came to Whatcom and brough the Ellery Rogers store, and on June 10, 1889, R. W. Battersby came here and acquired an interest in the business, which they conducted successfully until August, 1923, when our subject retired, and he now spends the greater part of his time on his son's place in Ten Mile township. When he came out to the farm his health was none too good, but it is now much improved. During the first six or seven years of their business here the Battersby brothers conducted a general store, but later their lines were reduced and were confined mainly to dry goods, shoes and furnishings. Their business enjoyed a steady growth through the years and was known as one of the leading stores of the kind in this section of the county. The first store was located on Thirteenth street, now West Holly street, between D and E streets. Mr. Battersby is a member of the board of directors of the Bellingham National Bank and has for many years been an active factor in local business circles, being a man of sound business judgment and progressive ideas and methods.
On June 3, 1889, Mr. Battersby was married to Miss Mary E. Donaldson, who was born in Rock Island county, Illinois, a daughter of Andrew and Ellen M. Donaldson. Her father was a native of Midway, Pennsylvania, but moved to Illinois in his young manhood and there spent the remainder of his life. Mrs. Battersby died February 26, 1923, leaving a son, Donald R., who now lives in Ten Mile township, where he is engaged in poultry farming in partnership with L. P. Raymond, also raising some berries. Donald is a hustling and energetic young man, who took up farm work because of ill health, and he has been materially benefited thereby.
Mr. Battersby has always been deeply interested in local public affairs and served for about twelve years as a member of the school board, including the period when the Whatcom and Fairhaven schools were consolidated. Fraternally he is a member of Bellingham Bay Lodge No. 44, Free and Accepted Masons; Bellingham Bay Chapter No. 12, Royal Arch Masons; Bellingham Council No. 16, Royal and Select Masters; is a thirty-second degree member of the Ancient Accepted Scottish Rite; belongs to the Nobles of the Mystic Shrine; and is a member of the Ancient Order of United Workmen and the Modern Woodmen of America. In all that constitutes true manhood and good citizenship he has been a worthy example, and no one in the community stands higher in the confidence and esteem of the people. A man of kindly and generous disposition, he has contributed liberally to all worthy benevolent objects and has earnestly supported the right side of every moral issue. Genial and friendly in manner, he has a wide acquaintance throughout this section of the county, among whom are a host of warm and loyal friends.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 286-289
Bauman, H. A.
A study of the career of the late H. A. Bauman, one of the elderly and highly respected citizens of the vicinity of Everson, Whatcom county, cannot help but be instructive, for his life was so conservatively lived as to work no harm to others, while he permitted nothing to swerve him from what he felt was the right thing to do. He was born in Germany on the 16th of November, 1845, and was a son of C. H. and Gassena (Kampmeir) Bauman, the former of whom was a miller by trade, and both of whom died in their native land. Our subject received a good, practical education in Germany, and he was a veteran of two great wars, the Prussian-Austrian war of 1866, in which he fought for the king of Hanover, and the Franco-Prussian war of 1870. He had learned the trade of a miller, at which he worked after the latter war until 1881, when he emigrated to the United States, going direct to Michigan, where he continued to follow his trade, being the first miller at Zeeland. Later he went to Falmouth, Michigan, where he was employed as a miller for five years. His employer, being in a lawsuit, wished him to testify falsely, which he declined to do, and he left there, coming to Washington in 1889. He first located at Bay View, Skagit county, where he remained for a short time, and then, attracted by a boom, went to Anacortes, where he remained until 1896. He next came to Greenwood (Lynden), where he engaged in farming on ten acres of land, only a little was cleared when he acquired it, but he cleared it up entirely and lived there until 1917. Then, deciding to retire from active affairs, he came to live with his son, C. H. Bauman, who owns eighty acres of good land, and spent his remaining years in the enjoyment of that leisure to which his years of earnest effort entitled him.
In 1879 Mr. Bauman was married to Mrs. Margaret Bauman, the widow of his brother Johan, who had died some time previously. She was a native of Germany and a daughter of Wilson and Mary Horenga, the former of whom was a painter, and both of whom died in their native land. Mrs. Bauman died in 1912. By her first marriage she was the mother of a son, C. H. Bauman, of Seattle, who is married. To our subject and his wife were born two children, namely: Mrs. Annie Kilcup, who is the mother of a son, Dillon Kenneth; and William, a dentist in Newport, who is married and has one child. H. A. Bauman took an active interest in the public affairs of his community and rendered effective service as a member of the Greenwood school board. He began life practically at the bottom of the ladder, which he climbed to the top with no help but that of his industrious hands and sound common sense. He was a kindly and genial gentleman and enjoyed to a marked degree the respect and esteem of the entire community.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 625-626
Bay, Curtice B.
Curtice B. Bay, postmaster of Lynden, has resided in Whatcom county for more than a quarter of a century. For many years he was prominently identified with the lumber business, contributing his share toward the development of one of Washington's chief industries. He was born August 19, 1873, in Crown City, Ohio, and his parents, Thomas J. and Louise (Plymle) Bay, also were natives of that state. The father, who devoted his life to agricultural pursuits, is deceased, and his widow still resides in Ohio.
Their son, Curtice B. Bay, attended the public schools of the Buckeye state, and after his education was completed he chose the life of a mariner. He was employed for a time on steamboats operating on the Ohio and Mississippi rivers, but in 1900 he severed his connections with navigation interests and located in Bellingham, Washington. He obtained a position with the Silver Beach Shingle Company, with which he spent ten years, and was next associated with the Lynden Mill & Light Company. He remained with that corporation for five years and then formed a partnership with H. D. Day. They purchased the Shady Brook Shingle Mill, which they operated for about three years, and subsequently Mr. Bay built the Shady Brook Lumber Mill, conducting the business until 1922, when it was sold. He was very successful in his undertakings, displaying initiative, good judgment and executive force in the conduct of his affairs. Mr. Bay was reared on a farm and has never lost his interest in agricultural pursuits, now being the owner of a valuable ranch in the vicinity of Lynden.
In 1894 Mr. Bay was united in marriage to Miss Madeline Ella Rockey, a native of Pennsylvania, and four children were born to them, namely: T. J., who was a lieutenant in the United States navy during the World war; Marion, the wife of George Brenner, Jr., of Lynden; Mildred, who is a teacher in the public schools and resides at home; and Curtice B., Jr., a student. Mr. Bay is a stanch adherent of the republican party, and since 1923 he has filled the office of postmaster, discharging his duties in a highly creditable manner. He is a Mason and is also identified with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and the Knights of Pythias. Mr. Bay owes his prosperity to hard work, good management and honorable methods, and in the course of an active and useful life he has won many sincere friends.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pg. 16