Beernink, Harry J.
An enumeration of those men of the present generation who have won honor and public recognition for themselves and at the same time have honored the locality to which they belong would be incomplete were mention of Harry J. Beernink omitted. He has sustained a very enviable reputation in business circles and today is giving thoughtful and intelligent direction to the Lynden branch of the Washington Co-operative Egg and Poultry Association.
Mr. Beernink was born at Beaver Dam, Wisconsin, in 1899, and is a son of James A. and Maude (Parkinson) Beernink. The father, who was a native of Wisconsin, was descended directly from sterling old Holland stock, the paternal grandfather having been a native of that country. James A. Beernink came to Lynden in 1900 and was engaged in the buying of grain for many years, and his death occurred in Lynden in 1920. He is survived by his widow, who after his death became the wife of J. F. Hampton, who died about three months after their marriage, and she now makes her home with her son, Harry J. The latter has two brothers, Dixon and Samuel, both of whom live in Lynden.
Harry J. Beernink was about nine months old when the family came to Lynden, and here he was reared and attended school. At the age of thirteen years he began to work, and during practically all of his active years he has been identified with the poultry and egg business, having been connected with all phases of this industry, including breeding, hatching, feeding and marketing. In February, 1917, he became a charter member of the Washington Co-operative Egg and Poultry Association. He was a member of the board of directors from 1918 to 1922, and he also served two terms as vice president. In 1922 he became manager of the receiving station and feed depot at Lynden and, in accordance with the by-laws of the association, he then resigned from the board. His record since taking over the responsible duties of this position has been a splendid one, winning for him not only the commendation of the officers of the association but also the respect and confidence of the patrons of the local station.
Mr. Beernink was married to Miss Ella Mutchler, who was born and reared in Lynden, a daughter of Roy E. and Lydia A. (Tremain) Mutchler, the former a native of Kokomo, Indiana, and the latter of Kansas. The father received a good public school education, followed by a course in Wilson's Business College in Lynden, and in 1899 he bought his present farm of sixty acres in Lynden township, which he is successfully devoting to dairy and poultry farming. To him and his wife were born four children, namely: Ella, Walter, Mazie and Ralph. Mr. and Mrs. Beernink are the parents of two sons, Lowell Gerald and Ray Wallace. Fraternally Mr. Beernink is a member of the Knights of Pythias, in which he has passed through all the chairs of the local lodge. He is also a member of the board of directors of the Kiwanis Club of Bellingham. Personally he is a man of genial and pleasing manner, possessing a forceful personality that has made an impress on all with whom he has come in contact, and he has that soundness of judgment and nicety of discrimination which marks the successful business man. He thoroughly understands every phase and detail of his present work, and he has gained the universal esteem and good will of the community.
The Washington Co-operative Egg and Poultry Association was formed in Seattle in February, 1917, by a group of poultrymen, who realized that under the marketing conditions then existing among the farmers of this state their products were not being marketed under favorable conditions, for it was a fact that while prior to that year certain sections of the state were importing large shipments of eggs from other states and from China, certain other sections of the state were producing more eggs than could be consumed within their respective districts. To remedy this situation the association was formed and, under a wise and well devised plan of operation, it has more than vindicated the judgment of its promoters. The association now has an active membership of four thousand eight hundred producers, who are regular shippers, and more than five thousand stockholders. The capital stock is two million dollars, and eight receiving stations and three feed depots have been established. A trucking system is maintained with covers a great portion of the territory and aids the members materially in delivering feed and collecting eggs.
In this connection the following facts relative to the business transacted by the Lynden branch will undoubtedly be of interest to the reader: The Lynden station was established in June, 1920, in a building thirty by sixty feet in size. In December of that year the business was removed to its present quarters, but only half of the building was used. The first carload of eggs was loaded December 30, 1920, and at about the same time the first carload of feed was brought in. Some idea of the growth of the latter department may be gained from the statement that in September, 1925, this station sold over fifty-two carloads of feed, constituting the heaviest sales of any station in the state. In the shipment of eggs Lynden is second only to Tacoma. Five hundred cases of eggs are loaded to a car, and in 1924 one hundred and forty-seven cars of eggs were shipped from this point.
The local plant is completely equipped in every respect, the feed all being mixed, cleaned and manufactured here. Eighteen people are employed in this department alone, while the total number of employes of the local branch now ranges from forty-five to sixty-five, according to requirements. In 1924 the association bought from farmers in the territory around Lynden six hundred and ten tons of straw and four hundred and fifty tons of oats, and approximately fifteen thousand dollars is paid monthly to the Whatcom County Dairymen's Association for powdered milk, to be used in the manufacture of chicken feed. In 1924 the size of the feed mill and warehouse was increased one hundred per cent, it now being the largest and best equipped plant north of Seattle. The association owns the entire plant utilized here, including three buildings and a garage. In 1921 they gained the use of the entire building which they occupied and in the following year bought four additional lots and built the feed mill and warehouse. A railroad siding facilitates the loading of cars. The poultry department also has enjoyed a splendid growth in business, the receipts in 1925 amounting to over one hundred and seventy-five thousand head. The poultry is received alive and fattened for an average of ten days, when it is dressed, packed and frozen. Ninety per cent of the poultry comes in during the months from March to September.
This brief outline of the business of the Lynden station gives some idea of the responsibilities devolving upon Mr. Beernink as manager, and it reflects creditably on his ability and judgment that the local station is one of the most prosperous and best managed in the state.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 106-107
Bell, John W.
Choosing a line of work followed for successive generations by members of the family, John W. Bell has become a prosperous farmer and his name is well known to the ranchmen of Deming township, for his residence in this section of the county covers a period of thirty-seven years. He was born January 28, 1862, and is a native of Rock Island county, Illinois. His parents were Jesse Hall and Prudence Eliza (Curtice) Bell, the former a native of Ohio and the latter of Michigan. They went to Illinois in 1858 and lived for many years in that state. In 1879 they moved to Iowa, settling in Benton county, and there the father was engaged in farming for eleven years. He came to Whatcom county in 1890 and made his home with the subject of this sketch until his demise.
John W. Bell attended the public schools of his native state and completed his education in Tilford Academy in Iowa. His boyhood was spent amid the scenes of rural life and at an early age he became familiar with the duties and labors that fall to the lot of the agriculturist. He came to northwestern Washington in 1888 and was employed for a year in one of the logging camps of Whatcom county. In 1889 he entered a homestead four miles from Deming, selecting for his future home a frontier district to which few had penetrated, and was confronted with the arduous task of hewing a farm out of the wilderness. He finally succeeded in clearing the land, which he prepared for the growing of the crops best adapted to soil and climatic conditions in this region. He has a ranch of one hundred and forty-five acres, twenty of which are under cultivation, and the balance is in timber and pasture. He built a good home on the place and from time to time has added other improvements which have heightened its value. He operates a dairy on his farm and also raises poultry, deriving from these industries liberal returns for the labor expended.
In 1890 Mr. Bell married Miss Arma Marlenee, of Guthrie county, Iowa, and they had five children: Gladys; John, who is married and has one child; Bernard, who has a wife and three children; and two others. Mrs. Bell died March 21, 1926, and was laid to rest in the Kendall cemetery. Her passing was deeply mourned by her family and many friends. Mr. Bell belongs to the local Grange, taking a keen interest in its proceedings, and is a democrat in his political views. He was a member of the school board for twenty years and for a term was one of the supervisors of the township, performing valuable public service in both connections. Mr. Bell has lived to witness notable changes in the township as pioneer conditions have been replaced by the advantages of modern civilization, and in the fullness of time he has reaped the merited reward of honest toil, at the same time contributing his share toward the development and consequent prosperity of his district.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 673-674
The examples that such men as Nathan Bellingar, one of the most prominent butchers and meat dealers of Whatcom county, furnish of patient purpose and steadfast integrity strongly illustrate what is in the power of each to accomplish, and there is always a full measure of satisfaction in advertising to their achievements in advancing the interests of their fellowmen and in giving strength and solidity to the institutions which make so much for the prosperity of the community, for it is the progressive, broadminded, wide awake men of affairs who make the real history of a community. Nathan Bellingar was born in Hillsdale county, Michigan, on the 31st of January, 1870, and is a son of William and Sarah M. (Kimball) Bellingar, the latter of whom was born and reared in the state of Vermont but became a resident of Ohio in 1837. The father was born in New York state September 20, 1822, was reared and educated in his home neighborhood, where he lived until 1862, when he moved to the state of Michigan. He bought one hundred and sixty acres of heavily timbered land in Isabel county, which he cleared and developed into a splendid homestead, and spent his remaining years there, his death occurring in 1896. His wife passed away in 1891.
Nathan Bellingar received his educational training in the old Pine school, in Isabel county, Michigan, and at the early age of fifteen years he engaged in the meat business. He also bought and broke steers, which he sold for use in the logging camps of Michigan. He was thus engaged until 1901, when he moved to Mount Pleasant, Michigan, where he remained about three years, and then in 1904, he came to Whatcom county, Washington, and for five years was employed as a stock buyer for H. M. Koebler, of Bellingham. In 1909 he engaged in the wholesale butchering business, in which enterprise success attended him from the outset, and he is still conducting a large and profitable business in that line, being one of the leading butchers of western Whatcom county. In 1913 Mr. Bellingar bought forty-five acres of land in Ferndale township, located along Lake Weiser, and has cleared the greater part of the tract, which, being bottom land, is very fertile and productive. He also owns eighty acres of land in Ten Mile township. Mr. Bellingar has been keenly interested in everything that relates in any way to the improvement of the community, and in 1913 he was instrumental in securing the signers to a petition for the construction of drainage district No. 5. The result of the building of the ditch was the lowering of the water in Lake Weiser about six feet and the reclaiming of about one thousand acres of splendid bottom land. His farm is well improved and he exercises excellent judgment in its management. He takes a deep interest in the breeding and raising of purebred Duroc-Jersey hogs, in which he has been more than ordinarily successful, having taken many blue ribbons at the fairs in northwestern Washington. He has gained a fine reputation as an enterprising and progressive business man and has achieved an enviable standing among his fellow citizens.
On December 18, 1895, Mr. Bellingar was married to Miss Bertha Sickles, a native of Indiana, whose death occurred June 27, 1899. To this union were born two children: Goldie A., and Gladys, who died at the age of three years. Goldie A. became the wife of D. F. Baird, and they have four children; Dexter F., Jr., born August 11, 1917; Donald, born May 24, 1920; Margarite, born March 14, 1922; and Nathan G., born September 5, 1924. On December 4, 1901, Mr. Bellingar was married to Miss Hanna Miller, who was born and reared in western Pennsylvania, a daughter of William H. and Martha Agnes (Cummiskey) Miller, both of whom also were natives of the Keystone state. Mrs. Bellingar's maternal grandfather was E. M. Cummiskey, M. D. Her father is still living, but her mother died in 1923. To Mr. and Mrs. Bellingar have been born three children: Sylva, born in Michigan, November 14, 1902, was married January 25, 1922, to G. H. Moa, and they have two children - Betty Ann, born January 25, 1923; and Eugene William, born January 30, 1924. William A., born in Michigan, August 7, 1904, and who is now at home, was graduated from the Laurel high school in 1923. Nathan G., born in Whatcom county, January 5, 1914, is now in school.
Personally Mr. Bellingar is a man of genial and companionable disposition, deeply interested in the welfare of his neighbors, and is kindly and generous in his attitude toward all benevolent and charitable objects. He possesses to a notable degree the elements that make for good citizenship and has long been recognized as one of the representative men of his section of the county.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 861-862
P. Bellingar, of Ferndale township, needs no introduction to the people of the western part of Whatcom county, where he has lived for over twenty years, successfully engaged in business. As the result of upright character, business ability and a genial disposition, he has long enjoyed a most excellent standing among the leading citizens of Whatcom county. Mr. Bellingar was born in Hillsdale county, Michigan, on the 1st of October, 1865, and is a son of William and Sarah M. (Kimball) Bellingar, the latter of whom was born in Vermont but moved to Ohio in 1837. The father was born in New York September 20, 1822, and lived there until 1862, when he went to Michigan and bought one hundred and sixty acres of land, heavily timbered, in Isabel county. To clearing the tract and putting it under cultivation he devoted himself with indefatigable energy, and eventually made of it a fine farm, on which he lived until his death in 1896. He wife passed away in 1891.
P. Bellingar secured his education in the public schools of Michigan and had about two years of high school work. On leaving school he learned the carpenter trade and followed that occupation there until 1904, when he came to Bellingham, Whatcom county, and has since engaged in contracting and building. He has been very successful, being a man of absolute honesty in executing his contracts, doing thoroughly and well whatever he undertakes, so that he has gained an enviable reputation as a painstaking and trustworthy contractor. After living in Bellingham for eleven years, Mr. Bellingar sold his property there and, in 1915, bought eighteen acres of land in Ferndale township, on which he now lives. He has a well improved and attractive farm, and has engaged here in the chicken business, keeping about six hundred laying hens, the poultry business being looked after mainly by Mrs. Bellingar, as his time is largely taken up by his contracting business. He has erected many of the best business houses and residences in this part of the county during the two decades that he has been here, and his services are in demand by those who appreciate good work honestly done.
In 1899 Mr. Bellingar was married to Miss Eleanora Rossberry , who is a native of Ontario, Canada, the daughter of Anthony and Mary (Freppie) Rossberry, the latter of French descent and a native of Quebec. To Mr. and Mrs. Bellingar have been born five children, namely: Lee A., born in Michigan in 1900, married to Miss Georgina McDonald, daughter of John McDonald; and they have two children, Lee, Jr., and Betty Jean; Francis N., married to Miss Alice M. Baer, a daughter of E. W. Baer, and a daughter, Gloria Jean, has been born to them; Elmer J., is next in the family; Edith A., who was born in Bellingham in 1905 died in 1906; Earl Edward, born in 1907, is now in high school. In all the essential elements of good citizenship, Mr. Bellingar has built up a highly commendable reputation and by right and honorable living he has won and retained the good will and esteem of all who know him.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 748-749
Coming to Whatcom county in pioneer times, Gus Bellmann has lived to see many notable changes as the work of development has been carried forward, and one of the model farms of Van Wyck township is the visible evidence of what he has accomplished. A son of August and Hattie (Menzel) Bellmann, he was born May 10, 1850, and is a native of Germany. He was educated in the excellent schools of the fatherland and aided his father in the work of tilling the soil, thus acquiring a practical knowledge of agricultural pursuits. In 1882, when thirty-two years of age, he resolved to avail himself of the broader opportunities offered in the United States and after reaching this country went to Arkansas, purchasing a farm in the vicinity of Little Rock. He sold the place at the end of six months and for two years was employed in a factory at St. Louis, Missouri, making carbons for electric lights. On the expiration of that period Mr. Bellmann started for Oregon and rented a ranch in the Willamette valley near the city of Portland. He came to Whatcom county, Washington, in 1888 and bought his present farm, a tract of one hundred and twenty acres of virgin soil. He has cleared sixty acres, which are devoted to truck gardening, and has built greenhouses, in which he raises the early vegetables. He finds a ready market for his produce and has developed the finest farm in Van Wyck township. He has an expert knowledge of his occupation, acquired by years of experience and constant study, and his work has marked a distinct advance in agricultural methods in this section.
In 1875 Mr. Bellmann married Miss Emma Bellmann, also a native of Germany, and four children were born to them. Max, the eldest, is married to Lena Rudesile. Kurt, a resident of Bellingham, married Miss Bertha Haines, and they have one child, a daughter. He operates a farm near the cemetery, specializing in the raising of vegetables. Felix was born in Germany, which was also the birthplace of his older brothers, and is assisting his father in the cultivation of the homestead. He married Miss Amanda Hohman, whose parents came to Whatcom county, as pioneers, and they have two daughters. August was born in Portland, Oregon, and also aids his father in the work of the farm. He married Miss Johanna Gulbranson, formerly of Iowa, and they have become the parents of two children, a son and a daughter.
Mr. and Mrs. Bellmann have traveled life's pathway together for many years and in 1925 celebrated their golden wedding anniversary. They have a host of friends and their home is noted for its warm-hearted hospitality. The sons have proven a credit to their upbringing, contributing materially toward the development of the homestead. The old log cabin, covered with ivy, is still standing, and in the early days deer were frequently seen grazing with the cows in the pasture. Mr. Bellmann is an earnest member of the Lutheran church and his political allegiance is give to the republican party. he has never deviated from the path of duty and honor and his life presents a splendid example of industry and right living which others may profitably follow.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 533-534
Benjamin, John H.
John H. Benjamin, one of the substantial farmers and dairymen of the Custer neighborhood, having a well kept place near Custer, is of European birth but has been a resident of this country for more than twenty years and is quite content to regard Whatcom county as his permanent home. Mr. Benjamin was born in the amt of Tromso in the kingdom of Norway, February 22, 1854, and is a son of Benjamin and Karen (Peterson) Hejjelund, also natives of that country, where their entire lives were spent. Benjamin Hejjelund was a boatman and fisherman and his son John grew up familiar with fishing operations. The latter was christened John Hejjelund, but long ago he changed his name to its present form of John Benjamin and has been thus known for years. He remained with the fisheries, operating chiefly in the teeming waters off Finnmarken in the extreme north of Norway, where cod abound, until 1903, when he came to the United States and has since been a resident of this country.
On July 13, 1903, Mr. Benjamin arrived at the port of New York. Years before one of his brothers had settled in Buffalo County, Wisconsin, and he at once made his way there and bought a small farm in that county, where he remained, farming and lumbering, until 1917, when he came to Whatcom County. It was in October, 1917, that he arrived in Bellingham, where he spent the winter and in March, 1918, he took possession of the tract of about twenty acres he had bought in the Custer neighborhood, on which he has since made his home, meantime clearing and improving the place and setting up a dairy plant. He is now quite well established there as a dairy farmer, is a member of the Whatcom County Dairy Association, has a good herd of dairy cattle and is doing well in his operations.
Mr. Benjamin has been twice married, both times in his native land. His first wife, Annie Clausen, bore him two children. She and these children died within a short time of each other in the early '90s and in 1896 Mr. Benjamin married Annie Greguson, daughter of Christian and Annie Greguson, who had a small farm in the northern province of Norway. Mrs., Benjamin died at her home in this county in 1921. By this marriage Mr. Benjamin has a daughter, Esther, who married I. Hanson, a carpenter at Custer, and they make their home with Mr. Benjamin. Mr. and Mrs. Hanson have three sons, Clarence Herbert, Alvin James and Earl Iver and it is needless to say that in these grandsons Mr. Benjamin takes much pride and delight, for that is the way of grandfathers the world over.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 417-418
Many of Bellingham's leading business men are identified with various branches of the automotive industry, and among the most successful is numbered Alfred Benson, the owner of a fine garage. He was born May 17, 1875, and is a native of Sweden. His parents were B. P. and Albertina (Carlson) Benson, the latter of whom died in that country. In 1885 the father settled in Iowa, where he spent the remainder of his life.
Alfred Benson received a public school education and in 1892, when seventeen years of age, located in South Dakota. He followed the occupation of farming for some time and then opened a livery stable in Uniontown, South Dakota. In 1905 he chose Seattle, Washington, as the scene of his activities, and he was also connected with the livery business in San Francisco, California. He came to Bellingham in 1918 and established an automobile laundry on Railroad avenue. In 1919 he moved to a building fifty by one hundred and ten feet in dimensions and has since conducted the business at Nos. 111-113 East Magnolia street. Owing to the rapid increase in his trade he was forced to erect a two-story addition fifty-five by one hundred feet in size and completed the building in 1925. He now has ample accommodations for the storage of cars, and his garage is the largest in the city. He has an up-to-date automobile laundry and is rapidly forging to the front in the line in which he specializes, conducting a business of substantial proportions. Mr. Benson casts his ballot for the candidates of the republican party, and the Chamber of Commerce is the only organization with which he is connected. He reserves all of his energies for the conduct of his business and his industry, ability and honesty insure his continuous progress.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 717-718
Benson, George F.
Among the up-to-date mercantile establishments that feature in Bellingham's commercial life is the Adams Style Shop, and throughout the period of its existence George F. Benson has been connected with the business, of which he has been the manager for four years. A native of North Dakota he was born September 6, 1884, and his parents, C. W. and Hannah (Lundahl) Benson, are both deceased. They settled in Bellingham in 1889, and the father was one of the early stone masons of the city, in which he left many evidences of his handiwork.
George F. Benson has lived in Bellingham from the age of five years. After leaving high school he clerked in a store, and in 1906 he obtained a position in the Adams Style Shop, which was opened in September of that year by Phil Adams, who was at one time connected with the John Lind Company of Seattle and later resided at Sedro Woolley, Washington. He came to Bellingham in 1906 and embarked in business at the corner of Railroad avenue and Holly street. He remained at that location for twelve years and in 1918 moved to the corner of Elk and West Holly streets. The store is forty-seven by one hundred and twenty-five feet in dimensions and comprises one floor and a mezzanine. Mr. Adams remained at the head of the shop until his demise in August, 1922, and Mr. Benson has since been manager. For twenty years he has labored untiringly to promote the business, giving to the firm the best service of which he has been capable, and success has rewarded his efforts. The firm carries a fine line of wearing apparel for men and boys, and a large and desirable patronage is evidence of its prestige.
In 1906 Mr. Benson was united in marriage to Miss Mattie S. Braman, a native of Michigan and a daughter of Frank and Agnes Braman, who established their home at Bellingham in 1902. Mr. Benson is connected with the Benevolent Protective Order of Elks, the Kiwanis Club, the Chamber of Commerce and the Bellingham golf & Country Club, while his political views are in accord with the tenets of the Republican party. He is loyal to his city, which he regards as an ideal place of residence, and through fidelity to duty and tenacity of purpose has risen to an influential position in its business circles.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pg. 724
One of the public-spirited and successful farmers of Ten Mile township, Whatcom county, is Charles Bentley, who withholds his cooperation from no movement which is calculated to promote public improvement. What he has achieved in life proves the force of his character and illustrates his steadfastness of purpose. His advancement to a position of independence and honor in his locality is the direct outcome of his persistent and earnest labors, and he holds a high place in public esteem.
Mr. Bentley was born in Wilson county, Kansas, on the 24th of December, 1875, and is a son of David and Edith (Boyer) Bentley, both of whom were natives of Illinois. The father died in Kansas in 1880, and his widow later became the wife of John F. Shettler, who in October, 1882, brought the family to Bellingham, Whatcom county. From there they had an Indian paddle them up the Nooksack river to Ferndale, where they stayed for a few months, and the father then homesteaded land at what was at the time called Yeager, in Ten Mile township. The tract was heavily timbered and in the process of clearing the land it became necessary to burn a large amount of fine timber. In the early days there they traded at Marietta, and as there were no roads they were compelled to pack all of their provisions and flour on their backs. Mr. Shettler worked out in the neighborhood, picking hops and doing other work in order to earn money for their current expenses, and eventually they cleared about twenty acres of the land. Our subject has a brother and a sister - Nathan, of Bellingham; and Minnie, who is the wife of Ed Kenoyer, who is represented in a personal sketch on other pages of this work.
Charles Bentley received a good public school education and remained at home until 1892, when he learned the printing trade, at which he was employed for several years. He then returned to school for a short time and subsequently went to work in shingle mills, following that occupation for a number of years in and around Bellingham. At the end of that time he went to Anacortes, where he followed the same line of work for six months, after which for a year he was employed in Pellet & Johnson's shingle mill in North Bellingham. He then came to Ten Mile, where he owned a small ranch, and worked for six or eight months in a shingle mill there, also working for about the same length of time in the Meridian mill.
In 1902 Mr. Bentley located on his present place, which then comprised twenty acres but which he has increased to thirty-three acres, all of which is now cleared and in cultivation. When he bought the land it was rough and uncleared, and a good deal of ditching was required to drain the tract properly. He is at present devoting much of his attention to dairy and poultry farming, keeping a good herd of Guernsey and Jersey cattle, while his chickens are White Leghorns of the Hollywood and Tancred strains. His well cultivated fields produce abundant crops of hay, grain and roughage, and he is so operating and managing his farm as to realize a very satisfactory return therefrom. He has made permanent and substantial improvements on the place and has a very comfortable and attractive home.
In 1898 Mr. Bentley was married to Miss Eva Kenoyer, who was born in Indiana, a daughter of John and Emmeline (West) Kenoyer, who were pioneer settlers of that state. The family came to Washington in March, 1884, and located in Ten Mile township, Whatcom county, having come by boat from Portland to Seattle and thence to Bellingham. Mr. Kenoyer's brother, Henry, preceded them to this locality, and here, in section 15, the father homesteaded a tract of land, having walked out to the place from Bellingham. He devoted his attention to the clearing of the land and also was during the greater part of his remaining years identified with the sawmilling business in this locality. His death occurred in 1919. To him and his wife were born four children, namely: Eva (Mrs. Bentley), Edward, Joseph, and Mrs. Sadie Piper, now deceased. Mr. and Mrs. Bentley have become the parents of four children, namely: Otto, who is connected with the Farm Bureau at Bellingham; Wallace, who is in the employ of Dodge Brothers at Bellingham; Gladys, who is teaching at Paradise; and Woodrow. All of the children are living at home.
Mr. Bentley is a member of the Whatcom County Dairymen's Association and the Whatcom County Poultry Association, while fraternally he is a member of the Modern Woodmen of America. A wide-awake, energetic farmer, he is giving his close and painstaking attention to the details of his work and does well whatever he undertakes. He has worked hard for what he now possesses and is deserving of the respect and esteem of his fellowmen, for his record is one of which he may justifiably be proud. Mr. Bentley maintains a keen interest in everything affecting the welfare of his community, cooperating with his fellow citizens in all measures for the advancement of the public good, and he is rightfully numbered among the leading men of his locality.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 20-21
Through an active career, duty has ever been the motive power with Charles Berg, one of the well known farmers and public-spirited citizens of Ferndale township. Strong and forceful in all relations, he has gained and retains the good will and commendation of his associates and the general public, retaining his reputation for integrity and high character in all the relations of life. Mr. Berg is a native of North Dakota, where his birth occurred on the 12th of February, 1887. His parents, John and Sophia (Olson) Berg, were natives of Sweden and Norway respectively. The father came to the United States in 1880, settling in North Dakota, where he homesteaded one hundred and sixty acres of land, to the cultivation of which he devoted himself for a number of years, when, in 1913, he went to Alberta, Canada, and engaged in farming there until 1923, when he sold out and is now living in Bellingham. To him and his wife were born nine children, namely: Mrs. Mary Darch, who lives in Garden Grove, California, and is the mother of five children; Charles; Mrs. Annie Anderson, who lives in Minnesota and is the mother of two children; Mrs. Ella Bainter, who is the mother of two sons; Mrs. Sadie Mohler, who lives in Seattle, Washington, and is the mother of two daughters; Mrs. Clara Van Dorn, who lives in Ferndale; Mrs. Eva Dahlberg, who has a son; Mrs. Hilma Wegensen, who lives in Seattle; and August, who is married.
Charles Berg received a good, practical education in the public schools of North Dakota and remained at home with his mother. In 1908 they came to Washington and she bought eighty acres of land in Ferndale township, three miles north of Ferndale, at that time covered with timber and brush. The son applied himself with vigor to the task of clearing the land and getting it ready for cultivation. Twenty-five acres are now under the plow, and diversified farming is followed, the principal crops being hay and grain, while a part of the land is in pasture. He keeps twelve good grade Jersey cows on his own account and operates the ranch for his mother. He is a thoroughly practical farmer, devotes his attention closely to every phase of the farm work and he and his mother have so managed the place as to realize a very satisfactory measure of success. Mr. Berg is a member of the Whatcom County Dairymen's Association. Such a man is a credit to any community, for his actions are controlled by correct principles, and he has gained an enviable place in the confidence and good will of all who have come in contact with him. He takes a commendable interest in the public affairs of the locality and is regarded as possessing all the essential qualities of good citizenship.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 516-517
Berg, David H.
The true western spirit of progress and enterprise is strikingly exemplified in the lives of such men as David H. Berg, whose energetic natures and laudable ambitions have enabled them to conquer many adverse conditions and advance steadily to leading positions in their respective vocations. David H. Berg is a worthy representative of this class and is now a prominent figure in agricultural circles of Whatcom county, having been successfully engaged in farming, with its kindred lines, in Nooksack township for a number of years, gaining an enviable reputation because of his up-to-date methods and his farsightedness.
Mr. Berg is a native of Pennsylvania, born on the 16th of August, 1860, and is a son of Samuel and Priscilla (Hostetler) Berg, who also were natives of the old Keystone state, the father born November 12, 1827, and the mother January 27, 1832. They are both deceased, the father dying April 2, 1890, and the mother June 16, 1914. Samuel Berg went to Minnesota in 1867 and bought a farm, which at that time was covered with a fine growth of hardwood timber. He cleared most of the land, which he cultivated until 1883, when he sold it and came to Whatcom county, homesteading one hundred and sixty acres of land in Nooksack township, one and a half miles east of Everson. This land was also densely wooded, but he went to work and in the course of a few years had created a fine homestead. He was an indomitable and untiring worker and gained the universal respect of his neighbors and fellow citizens. To him and his wife were born nine children, seven of whom are living, namely: John L.; Fred L., who lives in Idaho; David H.; Benjamin, who died in infancy; Samuel, deceased; Mrs. Annie Germain; Mrs. Mary Germain; J. H.; and Aaron L., who lives in California.
David H. Berg was a lad of seven years when the family moved to Minnesota and in the public schools of that state he secured his education. He remained at home until he had attained his majority, when he started out in life for himself, following the lumber business there until the spring of 1890, when he came to Whatcom county and took up a homestead of one hundred and sixty acres on the 29th of May 1883. The land was heavily covered with fir and cedar timber, and one of his first acts was to build a small cabin of split cedar lumber. He then entered upon the task of clearing the land and getting it under cultivation. He also showed good judgment at that time in planting a two acre orchard, mainly of apple and cherry trees, which is now one of the valuable features of the farm. He has more recently planted a considerable number of filbert trees, having demonstrated their adaptability to the soil and climate of this locality. He and a neighbor, Mr. Altman, are the pioneers in this venture, and it is entirely within the bounds of probability that they have led the way into what may prove a very profitable and important industry. He raises grain and hay for feed, keeping three good milk cows, and his place is well improved, its general appearance indicating him to be a man of sound judgment and excellent taste.
Mr. Berg is a prohibitionist in his political creed and stands staunchly for everything that is best in community life, being a man of positive and well grounded opinions and the courage of his convictions. He is a member and treasurer of the Grange at Nooksack. He is an earnest student and thoughtful reader, possessing a splendid library of the best of the classics and current literature, and is well and accurately informed on a wide range of subjects. His library contains over five hundred well selected volumes of which he is justly proud. He is an energetic man and in addition to the operation of his farm, he had identified himself with other affairs, having, in company with his brother Fred, Rufus Stearns and Manning Cudworth, run a sawmill and a grist mill for about three years on Sumas creek. In 1921 the old cedar house he first built on the place was replaced by a fine, modern home, convenient in arrangement and attractive in appearance, and which has added greatly to the value of the property. Because of his fine character, ability and friendliness, he is deservedly popular throughout the community.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 526-529
Berg, J. H.
Whatcom county, Washington, enjoys a high reputation because of the high order of its citizenship, and none of her citizens occupies a more enviable position in the esteem of his fellows than does J. H. Berg. A residence here of many years has given is associates and neighbors full opportunity to observe him in the various lines of activity, business and social, in which he has been engaged, and his present high standing is due solely to the honorable and upright course he has pursued in all the relations of life. As a leading and influential citizen of his community he is eminently entitled to representation in the permanent record of the annals of his locality.
Mr. Berg is a native of the state of Minnesota, born on the 19th of November, 1870, and he is a son of Samuel and Priscilla (Hostetler) Berg, both of whom were natives of Pennsylvania. Samuel Berg went to Minnesota in 1867 and bought a farm, which at that time was entirely covered with a fine growth of hardwood timber. He cleared nearly all of the land and operated that farm until 1883, when he sold it and came to Whatcom county. On arriving here he homesteaded one hundred and sixty acres in Nooksack township, one and a half miles east of Everson, and again it fell to him to create a farm out of the wilderness. He was equal to the task and in the course of time developed a splendid ranch. His first house was built of split cedar lumber, as sawmills were scarce and the absence of roads made it impossible to haul lumber from the distant mills. Mr. Berg was a good farmer, and he lived on this place up to the time of his death, which occurred April 2, 1890. He was survived for many years by his widow, whose death occurred June 16, 1914. They became the parents of nine children, namely: John L.; Fred L., who lives in Idaho; D. H.; Benjamin, who died in infancy; Samuel, deceased; Mrs. Annie Germain, Mrs. Mary Germain, J. H. and Aaron L., who lives in California.
J. H. Berg secured a good, practical education in the public schools of his native state, completing his studies in the schools of Washington. He has always remained on the home farm and is now the owner of seventy acres of the old homestead, seventeen acres of which are cleared and in cultivation, the remainder being in woods and pasture. He understands agriculture in all its phases and has been very successful in the operation of his land. The crops are mainly hay and grain, while two and a half acres are devoted to a splendid bearing orchard. He also keeps eight good Jersey milk cows. He has made a number of fine improvements on the place, including the erection of a fine, modern home in 1910. The old house is still standing, as is the barn, which was built in 1885, and the Berg homestead is considered one of the best farms in this locality.
On September 29, 1898, Mr. Berg was married to Miss Flora M. Kale, a native of Iowa and a daughter of C. S. and Charlotte (McNeil) Kale. To Mr. and Mrs. Berg have been born five children: Gladys C., born January 3, 1900, was graduated from the Nooksack high school and is now clerking in a store at that place; E. Percy, born March 9, 1901, after graduating from high school, took a course in the Oregon State Agricultural College and now holds a good position in the Everson Cannery; Frances L., born August 17, 1902, is a graduate of high school and of the State Normal School at Bellingham and is now teaching school at Cedar Home, Snohomish county, Washington; Hattie L., born August 1, 1907, is now a student in high school; and Charlotte W., born December 14, 1911, is also in school. Mr. Berg is a man of forceful personality, positive convictions and fine public spirit. He is an earnest advocate of good roads and the best of educational facilities, as well as all forms of civic improvements, standing staunchly for everything that promises to advance the public welfare along material, civic or moral lines. Genial and friendly, kindly and generous, he has long held an enviable place in the confidence and esteem of his fellow citizens.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 223-224
Berthusen, Hans C.
H. C. Berthusen, one of Whatcom county's well known farmers, was not favored by inherited wealth or the assistance of influential friends, but in spite of this, by sturdy perseverance, untiring industry, sound judgment and wise economy, he has attained a comfortable station in life. When he came to Whatcom county it was a veritable wilderness, his land being covered with a dense growth of timber and brush, without even a trail through it, but, with a vision of the future, he courageously went to work and in the course of time created one of the finest homesteads in the community - an achievement of which he is deservedly proud, and today no man stands higher in public esteem than he. Mr. Berthusen was born in Norway on the 20th of January, 1860, and is a son of C. A. and Tamina (Tobiasen) Berthusen, also natives of that country. In 1864 the father brought his family to the United States, locating in Marshall county, Iowa, where he bought three hundred and twenty acres of land and devoted himself to its improvement and cultivation. He died there July 15, 1917, and his wife died September 22, 1902. They were the parents of ten children, namely: Elert; John, deceased; Julia; H. C.; Thomas; Norman and Lottie, deceased, Albert; Peter O.; and Annie.
H. C. Berthusen received a good, practical education in the public schools of Iowa and when nineteen years of age started out on his own account, traveling through a number of the western states until, in 1882, he landed in King county, Washington. He remained through the winter and in the spring of 1883 came to Whatcom county and homesteaded one hundred and sixty acres in Delta township, three and a half miles northwest of Lynden. To the herculean task of clearing this land he immediately applied himself, one of his first acts being the erection of a log cabin. He personally cleared one hundred acres and about 1890 he bought eighty acres additional. He cleared forty acres of the latter tract and then sold it. For many years Mr. Berthusen ran a dairy, in which he met with fine success, but he is now giving the major portion of his attention to the cultivation of the land, raising fine crops of hay and grain. He has made many splendid improvements on the property, which in this respect now stands second to no other in his section of the county. In 1887 he built a barn, twenty-four by forty feet in size, with basement, which was considered a large barn for that period. It was built of split lumber from the giant cedars which stood on the place, as at that time there were no sawmills near and there was no road by which lumber could be hauled from the old mill on Whatcom creek. In 1901 he built a new barn, one hundred and twenty-eight by one hundred and eighty-eight feet in size and fifty feet high, with a large basement. It was built by himself, is unique in construction and is believed to be the largest and most commodious barn in Whatcom county. The live stock, all machinery and crops are under one roof, the building being conveniently arranged with this in view. Mr. Berthusen is a man of progressive ideas and all of the machinery used on the farm is of the most improved types. He does thoroughly and well whatever he undertakes, which undoubtedly is one of the secrets of the splendid success which has rewarded his efforts and he has won the reputation of being one of the most enterprising farmers in western Whatcom county.
On December 25, 1889, Mr. Berthusen was married to Miss Lida Hawley, who was born and reared in Iowa, the daughter of Enoch and Mary (Craven) Hawley, the former a native of Ohio and the latter of Pennsylvania. Mr. Hawley came to Lynden, Washington, in 1872 and located a homestead adjoining that town, which he improved and cultivated up to the time of his death, which occurred August 17, 1889. His wife died November 4, 1892. He was one of the first homesteaders in Whatcom county and held a high place in the esteem of his fellow citizens. To him and his wife were born three children, Mrs. Berthusen and two brothers, Robert E., who lives in Lynden, and Leo, who died January 20, 1890. Mr. and Mrs. Berthusen have an adopted daughter, Olive, born January 20, 1909, now a student in the Lynden high school. She is a young lady of fine character and is greatly attached to her foster parents, as they are to her. Mrs. Berthusen is a great lover of flowers and in the summertime the place is a riot of bloom of many varieties and colors.
Mr. Berthusen has kept about twenty acres of virgin timber untouched by the axe, as a visible testimony to what the country was like when he first came here. He has cleared away the brush and it is one of the most magnificent groves in this section of the state. The land is open to picnic parties, who may thus enjoy the grateful shade of these splendid giants of the forest. The timber in this grove is worth thousands of dollars, but Mr. Berthusen say the money it would bring could not compensate him for the pride and pleasure he derives from living among his trees. Another valuable feature of the farm is the fine stream of water which flows through it and which is known as Bertrand creek. In 1925 Mr. Berthusen succeeded in raising ripened watermelon, which was quite a novelty, as western Washington has always been considered too cool for the successful growing of this delectable melon. While Mr. Berthusen has thus been diligent in advancing his individual affairs, in which he has met with more than ordinary success, he has not been neglectful of his duties to his community, for he has at all times given his earnest support to all measures for the advancement of the public good, standing for the best things in community life and exemplifying in his own career the beneficent principles of neighborliness and brotherliness. He is kindly and generous in his attitude toward all benevolent and charitable objects and courteous and accommodating in his relations with his neighbors.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 779-789
James Bertrand, was one of the first settlers in the Nooksack Valley. Working as an axman with the Boundary Survey in 1857 and 1858, he remained in that work until the line was slashed out and marked, when he went to Chilliwack country, married an Indian woman and settled down as a farmer. He took a prominent part in the affairs of that early settlement, where he lived for about ten years. In 1867, he and Isaac Kipp, who was the first settler at Chilliwack, made a trip over the old Whatcom Trail to Nooksack Crossing, and thence by canoe down the Nooksack River to Whatcom, for the purpose of driving back to Chilliwack a herd of cattle to stock their farms at Chilliwack Prairie.
While engaged on the boundary survey, Mr. Bertrand discovered a small prairie near the headwaters of Bertrand Creek (named after him), and in 1870, he moved his family and belongings south of the line and settled there. Here he and his boys built a fine log house and spent much of their time hunting and trapping for beaver and other wild animals. When we built our new store, they helped my folks hew the logs and erect that structure, and later always helped on all improvements of a public nature.
In later years James Bertrand sold out his holdings, and moved to Blaine, where he spent the remainder of his long life. He was honored by the Old Settlers Association by being selected as the 8th holder of the Neterer Cup. After a long and eventful life Mr. Bertrand passed away in 1933, at the exceptional age of 103 years.
Skqee Mus, R. E. Hawley, pub. 1945, pgs. 177-178
Mrs. Therese Bevans, proprietress of The Beauty Spot at Bellingham, enjoys an enviable and well deserved reputation for her skill in the field of beauty culture. She was born in New York, a daughter of Ludolph Klieman and Henrietta Knapke, both of whom were natives of Germany. Left an orphan when but thirteen years old, she became self-supporting at that tender age. She acquired her education in the Empire state and was there married in 1910 to John L. Bevans, who passed away six years later. Leaving New York, Mrs. Bevans removed to Louisville, Kentucky, where she conducted a dressmaking establishment for a year and then in May, 1922, made her way westward across the continent to Seattle, Washington, where she pursued a course in Carson's Hair-Dressing College. She then came to Bellingham and after spending a short time in the Marinello shop opened a beauty parlor of her own in the Woolworth building, where the growth of her patronage soon necessitated her removal from a small into a large room. Within a year her business had increased to such an extent that her quarters proved inadequate, and in January, 1925, she moved into the Sunset building, where she now has two rooms. Mrs. Bevans makes a specialty of marcelling and scalp treatments, facial massage and packs, hair manufacturing and dyeing. Her method of marcelling is original and most successful.
The following is a prize composition written by Hazel Lewis, a high school pupil, in November, 1923: "As you mount the stairs to Sandison's Studio, you are accosted by the glaring signs of 'The Beauty Spot - Why not stop in?" Maybe man can do something to improve your appearance before you must face the merciless camera. You step across the hall and open the door. The heavy smell of the hot irons that greets you proves terrifying but retreat is now impossible. A white uniformed assistant appears miraculously from one of the curtained booths and inquires soothingly what she may do for madam. All nervousness disappears and with a tinge of uplifting superiority, you allow yourself to be led into one of the mysterious compartments. A swift, furtive glance about you reveals many strange implements. You are seated comfortably before a large mirror and a huge apron is tied securely about your neck. Mrs. Bevans, the beauty specialist and competent manager, appears, and as she test the iron, a few adroit questions on your part will inveigle her into an enlightening discussion of her chosen profession. To Mrs. Bevans it has always remained a marvel that with her skillful use of man-made tools, she can beguile nature's straightest hair into soft waves and curls. She feels an inward joy each time she succeeds in transforming an oily, repelling skin into a complexion of delicate loveliness. The electric massage that gives the tired, sagging muscles of the face a whole hour's rest in just a few minutes in another of the rejuvenating wonders of the shop. When Mrs. Bevens speaks of her trade, she smiles. She has bobbed the hair of flappers ranging in age from toddling tots of three to tottering grannys of seventy-five. A beauty parlor may not be useful in that it does not supply a life necessity but its ornamental value has made it a flourishing industry. 'The Beauty Spot' is not yet a year old but, even with extensive competition, the appointment books are always full and many a dance has been refused because milday was not able to secure an appointment at all."
Mrs. Bevans is a member of the Hair Dressers' Association and the Business Women's Club and has gained an extensive circle of warm friends in Bellingham, her adopted city.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 657-658