Bolster, J. Russell
Energetic, capable and determined, J. Russell Bolster has achieved noteworthy success as a dealer in automobile tires and is generally regarded as one of Bellingham's enterprising and reliable young business men. He was born April 4, 1889, in Abilene, Kansas, and is a son of James F. and Mary (McLean) Bolster, both natives of Pennsylvania. They were numbered among the early settlers of Kansas and in 1890 came to Bellingham, which was then a frontier town. James F. Bolster was Bellingham's pioneer building contractor and on Eldridge avenue, on the bank of Squalicum creek, he erected the first brick residence here, also operating the first brickyard. Later the family moved to Spokane, Washington, but returned to Bellingham after a few years, and the father was long identified with construction operations in the city, contributing materially toward its upbuilding and improvement. He migrated to California in 1922 and is now serving as president of the firm of J. F. Bolster & Company, a Los Angeles corporation.
J. R. Bolster attended the public schools of Bellingham and after completing his studies served an apprenticeship to the plasterer's trace. For some time he was associated with his father in the contracting business, and many examples of his skill and handiwork are to be found in the best buildings of the city. In 1916 he established a business of his own, equipping a shop for the vulcanizing and repairing of tires. It is located at No. 1314 Railroad avenue and is twenty-eight by one hundred feet in dimensions. Mr. Bolster also handles the Diamond and Goodrich tires and employs five experienced men. He has a thorough knowledge of this branch of the automotive industry and through good management and honorable dealing has developed the largest business of the kind north of Seattle.
In 1913 Mr. Bolster was united
in marriage to Miss Ayreness Roeder, a native of Bellingham and a daughter of Victor A. and Effie B. (Ebey) Roeder.
The grandfather, Captain Henry Roeder, secured as a donation claim a tract of three hundred and twenty acres of
land, which constitutes a part of the present site of the city, and he was one of its early realtors. His son,
Victor A. Roeder, was born on this property and after completing his education joined his father in the real estate
business, eventually becoming one of the largest operators in this field. He did much to improve and beautify the
city and in 1904 aided in organizing the Bellingham National Bank, of which he was made president. He has been
a dominant force in the upbuilding of the institution, which has become one of the strongest banks of the state,
and in Bellingham he has long been recognized as an authority on financial matters, as well as an expert realtor,
while his integrity is above question. Mr. and Mrs. Bolster have a family of four children: Phoebe Elizabeth, Annabel,
Rosemary and James Frederick. Mr. Bolster is a Scottish Rite Mason and has taken the fourteenth degree in
the order. He is also identified with the Benevolent Protective Order of Elks and the Optimists Club. He cast his
ballot for the candidates of the republican party but has never entered the political arena. He is in thorough
sympathy with every movement for the betterment of his community and is highly esteemed by Bellingham's citizens,
with whom his life has been passed.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 690-691
The life record of Dennis Bonner constituted a fine example of manliness, industry and usefulness, and in his passing on December 10, 1924, Whatcom county lost one of its honored pioneers. A native of Ireland, he was born in 1859, and in 1872 he came to the United states but remained here only a short time. In 1873 he again crossed the Atlantic and became a resident of Pennsylvania.
In 1888 Mr. Bonner came to Whatcom county and took up a homestead near Welcome. There were few settlers in that section, which was largely a wilderness, and his claim was covered with a dense growth of timber. With a courageous spirit he applied himself to the difficult task of clearing the land and preparing it for the plow, working untiringly to accomplish this purpose. Eventually he converted the tract into a fertile farm, which he subsequently sold to advantage, and then bought eighty acres of wild land in the vicinity. This he also cleared and developed, following the most advanced methods in the cultivation of the soil, and he improved his property with a modern home and good barns. His standards of farming were high and success rewarded his labors. Mr. Bonner was liberal in his political views and cast his ballot for the candidate whom he regarded as best qualified for office. He was a clean-cut man of exemplary habits, with a kindly philosophy and a clear outlook upon life that won him many true friends, who greatly deplored his demise.
On March 25, 1890, Mr. Bonner married Miss Lena Roessel, a native of Macomb county, Michigan, and a daughter of George and Elizabeth (Diehl) Roessel, who settled in Whatcom county in 1883. Mr. Roessel bought a tract of wild land, which he transformed into a valuable ranch, and there spent the remainder of his life. He was an expert carpenter and followed that trade for a number of years, building the first Catholic church in Ferndale and the hall for the Grand Army of the Republic. Mrs Bonner, who survives her husband, is now residing in Deming, and she holds a high place in the esteem of the residents of the community. Of the children born to them Mae, the first born, and George Dewey, the second, are deceased. The others are: Curtis, at home; George, who is married and also lives at home; Lester, who is attending high school; and June and Hazel, grammar school pupils.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pg. 117
Boon, O. J.
The door of opportunity is ever open to the alert, and actuated by the laudable desire to progress, O. J. Boon has diligently applied himself to each appointed task. He is an able representative of one of the largest packing houses in the country and is stationed in Bellingham, being intrusted with important business interests. He was born April 14, 1896, in Portland, Oregon, and his parents, J. H. and Coralie (Gaillard) Boon, were natives of Belgium. On coming to the new world they settled in Seattle, Washington, where they lived for two years, and in 1892 moved to Portland, Oregon. The father was a well known coffee buyer, and his widow still resides in the Rose city.
O. J. Boon was reared and educated in Portland and after his graduation from high school completed a course in a commercial college. He was associated for some time with his father and afterward joined his brother in the coffee business. In 1918 he responded to his country's call to arms and was mustered out of the service at the close of the World war. In 1920 he obtained work with Swift & Company and for six months was employed in their Portland plant. He was next sent to Oakland, California, where he spent a similar length of time, and was then transferred to Tacoma, Washington. For three years he was one of their city salesmen, and his record led to his appointment as manager of the Bellingham branch. Since November, 1922, he has filled the position, and the marked increase in the local trade during the intervening period is eloquent of his capacity for such service. The building now occupied by the company is situated at No. 1107 Railroad avenue and was completed in 1925. It is a two-story structure, twenty-eight by ninety feet in dimensions, and equipped with a modern refridgerating plant. Two delivery wagons are utilized in serving the trade and nine men are employed in the plant, while two salesmen solicit orders in the surrounding district, traveling through the country by means of automobiles. Mr. Boon is well informed regarding the meat business and capably supervises the labors of those under his charge.
On March 3, 1920, Mr. Boone was united in marriage to Miss Hazel McElroy, of Portland, Oregon, and they have a daughter, Patricia Ann. Mr. Boon is an adherent of the republican party and along fraternal lines is connected with the Masonic order. He is a young man of high character, possessing all of the qualities which make for success in the business world today, and during the period of his residence in Bellingham he has gained a large circle of sincere friends.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pg. 688
Borchardt, John C.
John C. Borchardt of the Union Iron Works of Bellingham and one of the veteran manufacturers of that city, engaged in his present business for the past twenty years, was born in Illinois, June 18, 1881, and is a son of H. M. and Henrietta (Sileke) Borchardt, the latter of whom died in 1889. H. M. Borchardt came to Whatcom county with his family in 1902 and was employed in the Fairhaven mills for many years or until his retirement. He still makes his home in Bellingham.
Reared in Illinois, John C. Borchardt was educated in the schools of his home place and early became apprenticed to the blacksmith's trade, a vocation in which he was well skilled when he came to Whatcom county with his father in 1902. That was the year in which he came into his majority and he ever since has been a resident of this county. Upon his arrival here he became employed in the Burpee & Letson foundry and was thus engaged until the fall of 1907, when in association with John A. Hood and Frank and Edward McParland, he started out in business for himself, he and his partners on the 1st of September opening their foundry on Grant street, where they since have engaged in business, operating as the Union Iron Works, with a record of large production and a wide demand for the products of their foundry. This concern has a well equipped plant, with a frontage of one hundred and fifty feet on Grant street, and does a general foundry business. With the exception of Frank McParland, mention of whom is made elsewhere in this work and who died in the summer of 1918, the original members of the combination, Messrs. Borchardt, Hood and Edward McParland, are carrying on the affairs of the foundry and are doing well, being proprietors of one of the best established plants of its kind in this section of the state.
Mr. Borchardt is a republican and has ever given helpful attention to local civic affairs. He is affiliated with the fraternal organizations of the Benevolent Protective Order of Elks and the Loyal Order of Moose and take a proper interest in the affairs of those popular bodies.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pg. 748
Borgeson, Charles O.
Charles O. Borgeson, well known as a former hotel keeper and merchant of Bellingham, now living retired, has been here for more than thirty-five years and is thus thoroughly familiar with conditions in Whatcom county and with the various steps in the progress of this community since what may be regarded as the pioneer period here, for when he came to the Bay settlements little had been done in the way of "modern" development. Mr. Borgeson is a native of Sweden, born in 1857, and was five years of age when in 1862 his parents came with their family to this country and settled at St. Peter, Minnesota, on the Minnesota river. Two of his father's brothers, who previously had become settlers in Minnesota, served as Union soldiers during the Civil war.
Reared at St. Peter, Charles O. Borgeson remained at home until fifteen years of age, when he began to "do for himself," and presently became employed as coachman for one of the wealthy residents of that ambitious little city. It may be recalled that St. Peter came very near being selected as the site of the capital of the proud state of Minnesota and it never has fully awakened from its olden dream of grandeur. In 1886, when twenty-nine years of age, Mr. Borgeson came to the coast and in association with a brother engaged in the hotel business in Spokane, operating the old Northwestern Hotel there. Eighteen months later he sold his interest in that hotel and moved to Seattle, where he remained for two or three years or until after his marriage in the spring of 1890, when he came to the Bay settlements and opened a hotel on Holly street in Whatcom. For eighteen years Mr. Borgeson conducted the hotel and then, changing conditions having decreased the profits of the business, he abandoned the hotel and engaged in the cigar business until his retirement.
It was on May 1, 1890, in the city of Seattle, that Mr. Borgeson was united in marriage to Miss Jennie Foss and they have one child, Clarissa, who was graduated from the Bellingham high school and from the State Normal School here, she then took a supplementary course in a finishing school for young women in Minnesota and in 1918 married Dr. O. N. Farley of Bellingham. Dr. and Mrs. Farley have a daughter, Betty Clair. Mrs. Borgeson was born in the city of Kristiania (now Oslo), capital of the kingdom of Norway, and was but a child when she came to America with her parents, the family settling in Minnesota. There she met Mr. Borgeson and after he had become established in business at Seattle, she came to the coast and the romance of their Minnesota days culminated in their marriage at Seattle. Mr. and Mrs. Borgeson are members of the Lutheran church and are republicans. They reside at 1206 High street and are quite comfortably situated there.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 467-468
Among the citizens of Lynden township who have by their persistent and well directed efforts succeeded, in the face of obstacles and discouragements, in attaining a definite measure of success, stands Andrew Boslund, than whom no resident of his locality enjoys to a greater measure the respect of his fellow citizens. Mr. Boslund is a native of Denmark and his birth occurred in 1860. His parents were Christian and Sophie (Peterson) Boslund, both of whom died in their native land. Our subject secured a good, practical education in the public schools near his home and then became stable boss for a rich man, one of the nobility, having charge of forty-five horses. Because of this position he was not called for military service. He remained in that position until he was twenty-four years of age, when, in 1884, he came to the United States, going direct to Fort Dodge, Iowa. On his arrival there his total cash capital was seven pounds in English money, but just before his funds gave out he was successful in securing work.
Mr. Boslund carefully saved his money and eventually bought land there, which he operated until 1906, when he came to La Conner, Washington, where he remained about two and a half years. He bought a small farm but he did not like that locality, particularly because of his wife's ill health, so he leased his farm and came to Lynden, Whatcom county, bought a twenty acre place here, on which he lived about eleven years. Later he bought one hundred and sixty acres of land, where he now lives, and on which he placed several hundred sheep and a large herd of cattle, putting the operation of the place into the hands of his son and son-in-law. A fire subsequently completely destroyed all the buildings and the sheep, and Mr. Boslund then moved onto the place and began the erection of new buildings and the restocking of the farm. He is now devoting the major portion of his attention to dairying, keeping seventeen milk cows and two registered Ayrshire sires. He ships his milk to the Carnation milk plant at Everson. His soil is fertile and productive and he raises sufficient hay and grain for his own requirements. The land has been cut over, and the forest fire burned out the brush. About twenty acres are now under cultivation, ten acres of which he cleared. He is managing the place in a businesslike manner, showing sound judgment and discrimination in all that he does, and has gained a high reputation among his neighboring farmers. However, it is Mr. Boslund's intention to move back to his Lynden place soon.
In 1891, in Iowa, Mr. Boslund was married to Miss Othalia Julius, who was born in Prussia and who in 1889 came to this country with her parents, William and Rosalia Julius, both of whom died in Iowa. Mrs. Boslund died in 1908. To Mr. and Mrs. Boslund were born the following children: Mrs. Martha Brindle, of Los Angeles, California, who is the mother of two children; Ellen, who died at Lynden, when nineteen years old; Mrs. Emma Cook, of Los Angeles, who has one child; William, who married Miss Jennie Friend, and who now rents the home place from his father; and Mrs. Freida Bloom, of Lynden township, who has one child. Mr. Boslund has ever stood ready to do what he could in pushing forward the wheels of progress and advancing the prosperity of his locality, and his career has been one well worthy of the high esteem accorded him.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, 1926, pgs. 284-285
From colonial days the little country of Holland has sent to this country many of her best citizens, who have to a very marked degree been prominent in the development of our country and its resources, and included in the present population of Whatcom county are many enterprising and progressive farmers and business men who belong to that people. Among these stands John Bosman, whose dairy and poultry farm is well located in Lynden township, where he has gained a high standing among his fellow citizens. He is a native of Holland, born on the 16th of September, 1873, and is a son of William and Nellie (Kneisvorberg) Bosman, the former of whom was a ship builder by vocation. They are now deceased, the father and mother both dying when the subject was but a small boy.
John Bosman received his education in the public schools near his home and remained with his uncle during the years of his youth. He was fortunate in the drawings for military service, as he drew a high number, which relieved him from service. On March 27, 1893, he left his native land for the United States, believing that he would here find conditions more favorable for individual advancement than in his own country. He first located in Michigan, where for a few years he worked on farms in the summertime and in the woods during the winters. In 1896 he went to Minnesota and a month later was employed in construction work on the Great Northern Railroad in the Dakotas and Montana. After two months of this work he gave up that job and thereafter for about six years was employed in various localities in the country, at railroad work, as a harvest hand and in other lines of employment. In 1901 Mr. Bosman came to Lynden, Whatcom county, and worked at such employment as he could find for a time, and he then bought ten acres of land in Lynden township, where he lived until 1912. The tract was heavily covered with timber when he bought it, but eventually he cleared it all and created a good farm, on which he carried on dairy farming, and also bought ten acres more adjoining, which he likewise cleared and put into cultivation. He then rented the Neurer place for two years, at the end of which time, in 1914, he bought the place where he now lives, comprising forty acres of good, fertile land. Three acres were cleared when he acquired the tract, but he now has it practically all cleared and has made many permanent and substantial improvements, the ranch being considered one of the best farms of its size in this locality. He devotes his attention mainly to dairying and the poultry business, in both of which he has met with pronounced success. He keeps fifteen milk cows of good grade, and six hundred White Leghorn chickens, of the Tacred strain. In the operation of his farm he has showed sound judgment and discrimination, and prosperity is crowning his efforts.
In 1906 Mr. Bosman was married to Miss Alice Hendricks, who was born in Michigan, a daughter of H. H. and Hattie (Dobbins) Hendricks, both of whom were natives of Germany, whence the father, who was a farmer, came to this country in the early '80s. The mother came with her family to Whatcom county in 1897 and to Lynden in the following year. To Mr. and Mrs. Bosman have been born twelve children, namely: William, Herman H., Nellie, Henry, Elizabeth, Hendrika, John, Benjamin, James, Jennie, Albert J. and Peter. Mr. Bosman is a member of the Whatcom County Dairymen's Association and the Whatcom County Poultry Association. He has always been interested in the welfare of his community and at one time rendering appreciated service as a member of the school board of the Riverside district. Possessing the old-fashioned but substantial ideas of honesty and uprightness, he has made an indelible impression on the minds of all with whom he has been associated.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 260-261
Although Holland has not sent as many people to Whatcom county as some of the other nations of Europe, yet those who have honored us with their citizenship have become conspicuous in view of the fact that they have been enterprising and progressive in their methods and valued citizens in every respect, having, while advancing their individual interests, not been neglectful of the general good. John Bossenbrook (sic), one of the successful and public-spirited residents of Ferndale township, was born in the Netherlands on the 19th of May, 1866, and is a son of John and Della Bossenbrook, both of whom spent their entire lives in Holland. The father was a mason and contractor by occupation and commanded the respect of all who knew him.
John Bossenbrook secured his education in his native country and in 1893 came to the United States, locating first at Paterson, New Jersey, where he lived about a year. He then went to Waupun, Wisconsin, and engaged in farming, which pursuit engaged his attention for about thirteen years. In 1905 he sold his interest there and came to Whatcom county, buying forty acres of stump and brush land in Ferndale township, to the clearing and improvement of which he devoted himself with such energy that he was soon enabled to start the plow. He now has thirty acres cleared and in cultivation, raising all the crops usually planted in this locality. He also keeps seven cows, two horses and one hundred chickens. All of the improvements on the place are modern and complete in every respect, including the comfortable and attractive residence and good barns and chicken houses. He also has a good bearing orchard. He is methodical and businesslike in everything that he undertakes and carries his work forward with energy and persistence that always bring good results. In 1898 Mr. Bossenbrook was married to Miss Kate VanLoo, who was born in Wisconsin in 1872, a daughter of Gerritt and Mary Van Loo, natives of Holland, who came to this country and located in Wisconsin, where they spent the remainder of their lives. Mrs. Bossenbrook died October 10, 1902, and Mr. Bossenbrook has not married again. To them were born the following children: Gerrit, who graduated from the Meridian high school and the State Normal School at Bellingham, also attended the State Agricultural College, at Pullman one year, and is now engaged in teaching at Dryden, Washington; Della, born September 7, 1900, is the wife of L. E. Martin and they have a son; Jerry was born February 1, 1923; Cornelius, born October 5, 1902, died March 3, 1914. Mr. Bossenbrook has always tried to measure up to the standard of correct manhood and this locality is proud to number him among its progressive and representative men. In all the relations of life he has proven true to every trust and is well worthy of the high measure of confidence which is reposed in him by all who know him.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 623-624
Bostwick, Edwin R.
It is an axiom demonstrated by all human experience that a man gets out of this life what he puts into it, plus a reasonable interest on the investment. The man who starts in the world unaided and by sheer force of will, controlled by correct principles and backed by every element of his nature, forges ahead and at length reaches a position of honor among his fellow citizens, achieves a measure of success that entitles him to the respect and esteem of his community. E. R. Bostwick is a creditable representative of this class - a class which has furnished the backbone of the splendid civilization which has been developed in Whatcom county. He is a native of Indiana, his birth occurring on the 7th of April, 1864, and is a son of C. A. and Nancy Jane (Lowden) Bostwick. His father was a native of New York state and the mother of Illinois, and both are now deceased, the father dying in 1895 and the mother in 1918. C. A. Bostwick went to Illinois in 1864, living there until 1876, when he went to Kansas and bought a farm, being a pioneer in the locality in which he settled. There he spent the remainder of his life, engaged in farming.
E. R. Bostwick was educated in the public schools of Kansas and remained at home, assisting his father, until his marriage, in 1891, after which he rented a wheat ranch in Butler county, Kansas, to the operation of which he devoted himself closely for several years. In 1895 he bought eighty acres, which he operated until 1902, when he sold it and came to Lynden, Whatcom county, where he built a house, in which he lived one year. He then traded that property for forty acres in Delta township, five miles northwest of Lynden, and at once went to work to clear this land, a task of considerable magnitude. Eventually this was accomplished and the land brought under cultivation, so that he now owns one of the best farms of its size in this section of the county. In 1900 Mr. Bostwick built a house and barn and has made many other substantial improvements on the place, of which he has made a very attractive homestead. The land is devoted mainly to hay and grain, of which he reaps bounteous crops, and he keeps nine good grade Guernsey cows. He is methodical and up-to-date in all his operations and the success which he has achieved has been well earned.
In 1891 Mr. Bostwick was married to Miss Emma Fetrow, who was born and reared in Kansas, the daughter of George N. and Sarah Jane Fetrow, living in California. Mr. and Mrs. Bostwick have had a family of ten children, namely: Leona and Gladys, both deceased; one that died in infancy; Irvin, who is married and has two children, Evelyn, born September 3, 1920, and Geraldine, born April 19, 1924; Joyce, Melvin, Faith, Lowell, Kenneth and Fred. The mother of these children died on December 16, 1917, and the daughter, Faith, is keeping house for the family, performing her duties in a manner that has earned the commendation of all who know her. Mr. Bostwick is a member of the Whatcom County Dairymen's Association and the Grange. He belongs to the Fraternal Aid Union, at Lawrence, Kansas, and the Homesteaders' Life Association, of Des Moines, Iowa. He has always taken a deep interest in the public affairs of his locality and in 1922 was elected assessor of Delta township and is now serving his second term in that capacity, discharging his official duties in a careful and satisfactory manner. He is a man of good business ability, sound judgment and keen discrimination and, because of his success, his fine public spirit and his splendid personality he has long occupied a high place in the estimation of his fellow citizens, who have recognized in him the essential qualities of good citizenship.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 688-689
Bowen, J. E.
J. E. Bowen is widely known as one of the enterprising and successful farmers of Whatcom county, where he has lived for many years, prominently identified with the agricultural interests of his locality. His well directed efforts in the practical affairs of life, his capable management of his business interests and his sound judgment have brought him very satisfactory rewards for the labor he has expended and he occupies an enviable place in the esteem of his fellow citizens. J. E. Bowen was born in Glasgow, Scotland, on the 23d of March, 1855, and is a son of James E. and Sarah (McIntyre) Bowen, also natives of Scotland. The father, who was a bookbinder by trade, came to the United States in 1864, and here spent the remaining years of his life, dying in 1868. His wife moved to Missouri, where her death occurred in 1894. They were the parents of four children: J. E.; Mrs. Sarah Jones, who lives in Missouri and is the mother of six children; Mrs. Elizabeth Post, who lives in Manitoba, Canada, and is the mother of six children; and Mrs. Susan Crosby, who lives at Prosser, Washington, and has three children.
J. E. Bowen was about nine years of age when brought to the United States. He secured his education in the public schools of Iowa, and was then employed at various occupations until 1875, when he began railroading, his last job prior to that time having been as pilot's helper on the Missouri river, at which he was employed two years. In railroad work he proved to be a capable and efficient workman and when twenty-one years of age was promoted to the position of locomotive engineer. He worked for the Northwestern Railroad for a number of years and in 1887 came to Seattle, Washington, and worked as an engineer for the Northern Pacific Railroad. In 1919 after a long and honorable record in railroad service, he quit that line of work and, coming to Whatcom county, bought thirty acres of land in Ferndale township. He cleared about ten acres and put it under cultivation, has made a number of fine improvements on the ranch and has a very comfortable and attractive home, where he is spending the golden sunset years of his life, leisurely enjoying that rest to which his years of labor so richly entitle him.
Mr. Bowen was married, July 2, 1881, to Miss Melinda A. Gray, who was born in New York, the daughter of Isaac B. and Elizabeth (Sands) Gray, both of whom were also natives of the Empire state. The father, who was a wheelwright by trade, died in his native state in 1863, and his widow, who later came to Washington, died here in 1900. To this worthy couple were born two children, Mrs. Bowen and Sarah Adelaide, who became the wife of George Haven and the mother of four children. She died at Florence, Washington, on August 24, 1903. To Mr. and Mrs. Bowen were born the following children: Sarah Elizabeth, who became the wife of C. E. Holt and the mother of two sons, E. C., Jr., and Bruce B.; Charlotte Candace, who became the wife of Edward Larsen, of Olympia, Washington; Susan; Charles and Harriet, twins, the former of whom studied music in Italy and is now a music teacher in Bellingham; Edith, who became the wife of N. F. Dibble, of Bellingham, and has a son, N. F., Jr.; and James E., who was married to Miss Genevieve Jones and lives in Bellingham. Mr. Bowen is a man of fine personal character, genial and affable, kindly and generous, and during the years that he has lived in this locality he has gained a high place in the esteem of all who have come into contact with him.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 749-750
Bowman, Tyra P.
One of the well kept ranches of Acme township is owned and operated by Tyra P. Bowman, whose life from an early age has been one of unceasing industry, and his record illustrates the power of honesty and perseverance in insuring success. He was born February 26, 1863, and is a native of Louisiana. In 1875 his parents, Mathew and Nancy (Tuberville) Bowman, went to Texas, and two years later the father passed away on his farm in the Lone Star state.
Tyra P. Bowman attended the public schools of Colorado and Texas and at the time of his father's death was a boy of fourteen. Although the youngest member of the family, he assumed the burden of caring for the mother and successfully cultivated the homestead, on which he planted a pecan orchard. In 1887 he made his way to Wickersham, Washington, and for fourteen months he was employed in the lumber camps of Whatcom county. He then returned to Texas and remained in that state until 1895, when he again journeyed to Washington. Leasing a tract in Whatcom county, he cultivated the place for a short time and then purchased fifty-five acres of land in Acme township. He has brought the soil to a high state of development, his buildings are good, and the farm reflects the progressive spirit of its owner. He has a well equipped dairy and receives substantial returns from his systematically conducted labors.
In 1890 Mr. Bowman married Miss Della Darnell, a native of Texas and a daughter of John Darnell. To this union were born ten children, but Ross is deceased and another child died in infancy. Those who survive are: Charles, who spent fourteen months overseas with the American Expeditionary Force and is now married, making his home in Wickersham; Jessie, the wife of Arthur Haldeman, who owns a ranch near the town; Mary, who is living with her husband, Benjamin McClure, on her father's farm and has become the mother of four children; Ruby, who is the wife of Peter Meyer, a well known ranchman of this locality, and has one child; Dewey, a teacher by profession; Wesley, who is married and lives at Twin, Washington; Florence, who is engaged in teaching; and Pearl, a high school pupil.
Mr. Bowman is connected with the Loyal Order of Moose and his political allegiance is given to the democratic party. He has been a serviceable factor in general advancement, acting as road boss for a time, and for five years has been chairman of the board of supervisors, while for a considerable period he has been a director of the school board. He has worthily earned the right to the distinctive title of "self-made man," and his unselfish nature, marked public spirit and many commendable qualities have drawn to him a wide circle of loyal friends.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pg. 680
Boynton, Solon Richard; M.D.
Dr. Solon Richard Boynton, a member of one of the colonial families of the east, is a physician of high standing and for twenty-three years has been engaged in practice in Bellingham. He was born November 9, 1879, in Carver, Massachusetts, of which his mother, Emma Frances (Merritt) Boynton, is also a native. She is a descendant of Dr. Samuel Fuller, and Englishman, who came to America as a passenger on the Mayflower, and her ancestors were gallant soldiers of the Continental army, participating in many of the important battles of the Revolutionary war. Her husband, William Otis Boynton, was born in Missouri and followed the trade of a carpenter, later studying medicine. He passed away in 1889, and his widow now resides with the subject of this sketch.
Dr. Boynton was educated in the excellent schools of his native state and prepared for his profession in the University of Boston, from which he received the M. D. degree in 1903. In the year of his graduation he came to the Pacific coast, locating in Bellingham, Washington, and he opened the first office in the Roth building. He is a general practitioner and as the years have passed his scientific knowledge and his skill in the unceasing combat with disease have brought him many patients. He was a member of the board of health for ten years, discharging his duties in a highly creditable manner, and he subordinates all other interests to the demands of his profession, in which he is deeply engrossed.
In 1906 Dr. Boynton married Miss Susie N. Crocker, a native of Carver, Massachusetts, and a daughter of Lemuel A. and Bessie (Shaw) Crocker. She is a descendant of a Scotch-Irish family represented in the historic voyage of the Mayflower across the Atlantic. Dr. and Mrs. Boynton have become the parents of five children: Ethel, Hope, Solon R., Jr., Bettie Frances and Lois. The Doctor belongs to the Whatcom County and Washington State Homeopathic Societies and casts his ballot for the candidates of the republican party, while his fraternal connections are with the Knights of Pythias, the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, the Knights of The Maccabees and the Woodmen of the World. He has ministered to many of the old families of this locality, drawing his practice from a wide area, and fully maintains the dignity and honor of his profession.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pg. 257