Brock, O. Albert
O. Albert Brock, a successful contractor, has been intimately associated with building operations of the city for more than twenty years and enjoys an unassailable reputation for business enterprise and probity. A son of E. A. and France (Pruitt) Brock, he was born in 1879 and is a native of Dallas, Texas. His father now resides upon a ranch in Oklahoma, but the mother is deceased.
O. Albert Brock was educated in the public schools of Kansas and at the age of eighteen started out for himself. He learned the carpenter's trade, which he followed in the middle west for a number of years, and in 1905 came to Washington. He has since been engaged in contracting in Bellingham and has done much important work as a home builder, a line in which he excels. He has made a thorough study of the business, so that he is able to meet every contingency, and has erected many homes which are the principal ornaments of their respective neighborhoods. Among the finest examples of his handiwork are the H. B. Sewall, C. B. Thompson and Green residences.
In 1903 Mr. Brock was united in marriage to Miss Myrtle Gregory, of Oklahoma, and they have three children, Zila, Dana and Clela, aged respectively fifteen, ten and eight years. Mr. Brock is a democrat but not a strong partisan, standing for clean politics and for progress, reform and improvement in public affairs. He early recognized that here is no success in life without effort and with no financial assistance has gradually worked his way upward, placing his dependence upon the old-fashioned virtues of industry, honesty and perseverance. These qualities have won him a secure place in the esteem of his fellowmen, and his worth as a citizen is uniformly conceded.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 580-581
Brodahl, Fridtjof M.
To the development of the great empire of the west the Scandinavian countries have contributed man of courage and hardihood, essential to the upbuilding of a new country, and to this race belongs Fridtjof M. Brodahl, the owner of one of the finest ranches in the Ferndale district and a leader in all projects for public betterment. A native of Norway, he was born January 21, 1890, and when seventeen years of age came to the United States with his parents, Frederick and Gina Brodahl, who settled in Minnesota in 1907. They migrated to Whatcom county, Washington, in 1910 and the father purchased twenty acres of wild land in Mountain View township. He cleared the place and prepared the soil for the sowing of seed, eventually transforming the property into a productive farm. He spent the remainder of his life on the ranch, passing away in 1915, and the mother's demise occurred in 1924. To their union were born six children: Albert, who lives in Bellingham; Paul, also a resident of that city and the owner of a forty acre farm, which he rents; Marie, deceased; Fridtjof M.; Olga, the wife of Ole Hemmestad, who operates the homestead; and Mrs. Magnus Asplin, of Bellingham.
F. M. Brodahl was educated in his native land and on starting out in life for himself chose the career of an agriculturist. In 1918 he bought a tract of twenty-eight and a half acres in Mountain View township and has since been engaged in general farming, residing in the vicinity of Ferndale. He has a valuable orchard on his place, to which he is constantly adding improvements, and his methods of farming are both practical and progressive. He has a fine herd of cattle and has also made a success of poultry raising.
Mr. Brodahl married Miss Augusta Anderson, a native of North Dakota and a daughter of Engebrecht Anderson, who came to Whatcom county in 1911, purchasing a farm which is now operated by the subject of this sketch. Mrs. Anderson survives her husband and is still a resident of the county. Mr. and Mrs. Brodahl have two children: Herbert and Kenneth, aged respectively seven and three years. Mr. Brodahl has served his fellow townsmen in various capacities and exerts his efforts as readily for the public weal as for his own aggrandizement. He filled the office of school clerk for five years and is now acting as school director and township supervisor. He is a member of the Whatcom County Dairymen's Association and also of the local Poultry Association. He is a young man of earnest purpose, worthy of trust and confidence, and a wide circle of loyal friends is indicative of his personal popularity.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pg. 905
Brooks, Frank N.
Many of Bellingham's substantial business men have won success in the lumber industry, and one of the prominent operators in this field of activity is Frank N. Brooks, a true westerner, thoroughly imbued with the spirit of enterprise and determination. He is a native of Minneapolis, Minnesota, and after the completion of his public school course he entered Williams College, leaving that institution of learning at the end of a year. He spent two years as a student at the University of Minnesota and for four years attended the United States Military Academy at West Point. He was in the service of his country from May, 1917, until March, 1919, and now holds the rank of lieutenant colonel in the Officers Reserve Corps of the United States Army.
The Brooks Lumber Company was formed in 1914 by Frank C., William C. and Frank N. Brooks. The firm purchased standing timber in Michigan and leased a sawmill, establishing the main offices at Sault Ste. Marie. The business was conducted in Michigan until September 15, 1919, when it was moved to Bellingham, Washington, and in the intervening period the firm has built up a large wholesale trade. As president and manager of the company Frank N. Brooks has played the leading part in the development of the industry, keeping in close touch with all new developments in the trade, and the commercial transactions of the firm have always balanced up with the principles of honor and integrity. The subject of this sketch is also serving a president of the Warwick Lumber Company and in the conduct of the business displays mature judgment, progressive ideas and executive power, maintaining a high standard of efficiency in the operation of the plant.
In 1914 Mr. Brooks married Miss Frances Carver, of Brookline, Massachusetts, a suburb of Boston, and three children have been born to them. Mr. Brooks reserves the right of voting according to the dictates of his judgment, owing allegiance to no party, and casts his ballot for those men and measures that he deems will best conserve the public weal. He belongs to the American Legion and was commander of Bellingham Post in 1924 and state commander in 1925. He is a Scottish Rite Mason, a member of the Benevolent Protective Order of Elks and the Country, Rotary and Cougar Clubs. His life record is written in terms of honor and success, and a courteous manner and pleasing personality have drawn to him a large circle of sincere friends.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pg. 785
Brooks, Howard S.
For eighteen years the name of Howard S. Brooks has figured prominently in business and real estate circles of Bellingham, and his rise in the world is attributable to untiring effort, tenacity of purpose and the wise utilization of his opportunities. A son of J. R. and Caroline A. (Abbott) Brooks, he was born December 21, 1860, and is a native of Door county, Wisconsin. He attended the public schools of Menominee, Michigan, and took a business course at Ann Arbor, that state. He also learned telegraphy and was engaged in that line of work for a short time, afterward acting as bookkeeper for various firms. He again became a telegrapher and later resumed his activities as a bookkeeper. He was engaged in insurance and tax accounting and at Menominee, Michigan, served as city clerk. He was next a grain salesman, traveling for six years, and then preempted a homestead in Michigan. He was a timber cruiser for a time and next became bookkeeper for a lumber firm of Wisconsin. In the financial panic of 1893 Mr. Brooks lost all that he had accumulated and was obliged to start life anew. For a brief period he managed the business of a company engaged in the shipping of cedar and then entered the logging business in Michigan. He bought and sold logs and timber products and continued in the lumber industry until 1908. He has since been engaged in the timber business, and also handles real estate in Bellingham and writes insurance. He has an expert knowledge of realty values in this locality and his work has been of much benefit to the city. He is one of Bellingham's best known realtors and a business man of high reputation.
In 1891 Mr. Brooks was united in marriage to Miss Kathryn Splane, of Wisconsin, and three children were born to them: Harold, who fought for his country in the World was and is now deceased; Maurice, who passed away in 1921, leaving a widow and two children; and Francis, who is married and resides in Bellingham. Mr. Brooks is an adherent of the republican party and conscientiously discharges the duties of citizenship but has neither sought nor held public office. By nature he is modest and unassuming and his genuine worth has won for him a secure place in the esteem of the residents of Bellingham.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pg. 822
For many years John Brooks, a well established and widely known realtor at Bellingham, was employed in a vocation which required almost constant travel, during the course of which he visited pretty much all of the United States and Canada. In 1909 he settled down at Bellingham and has ever since been quite content to regard this as his permanent home, for he stoutly maintains that in all his travels he has never found a locality that offers more desirable advantages as a place of residence than does this beautiful Bay city and the fine trade area centering here. From the time he came here Mr. Brooks has been one of Whatcom county's most enthusiastic boosters and he has done well his part as a community builder. It is but proper, therefore, that in this definite history of the community in which his interests have become so firmly centered there should appear a brief mention of his life and experiences.
Mr. Brooks is a Canadian by birth, born at Douglastown in the province of New Brunswick, October 18, 1866, and is a son of Thomas and Isabel Brooks, the former of whom was a building contractor. He was there reared and under his father's direction early took to the carpenter's trade. After being thus employed for some time he engaged in spool turning and for five years was plant foreman. He was next manager of the Singer Sewing Machine Company for fourteen years, in the maritime province, and for fourteen years was employed as a commercial traveler on the staff of this company. It is a matter of just and continuing pride on the part of Mr. Brooks that during this long period of responsible service with the company he never was required to give bond.
Mr. Brook's travels carried him throughout New Brunswick and Nova Scotia, through Quebec and other parts of Canada, into the state of Maine and other New England points, and into the coast country, including a comprehensive canvass of the state of California. In February, 1909, he visited Bellingham and was so greatly impressed with the situation here that he resigned his position as a commercial traveler and established his permanent home in this city. For a time, while "getting the lay of the land," Mr. Brooks was variously employed in Bellingham, and he then entered the realty and insurance field. He has since been thus engaged, with present offices at No. 302 West Holly street, and is one of the best known and most energetic realtors in this section of the northwest. During the time of the notable "boom" in Vancouver, British Columbia, Mr. Brooks took an active part in promotion enterprises there, and he has been an influential factor in promoting many of the best of the community expansion projects that have been undertaken throughout this section during the time of his residence here. He is a member of the Bellingham Realtors Association and is widely known in general realty circles throughout the state.
Mr. Brooks has been twice married. In 1884 at Newcastle, he was united in marriage to Miss Annie Robertson, who also was born in New Brunswick and who died in 1898. To that union were born five children: H. J. W. Brooks, who is now a resident of Vancouver; J. T. Brooks, a resident of Bellingham; Clyde Brooks, who is associated with his father in the realty and insurance business; Annie the wife of Robert Van Wingerden, of Bellingham; and Jennie, deceased. On April 25, 1900, Mr. Brooks married Miss Janet Stewart, also a native of New Brunswick, and they have a pleasant home in Bellingham, residing at No. 2330 Cornwall avenue. During the time of his residence in New Brunswick, years ago, Mr. Brooks took an active part in the activities of the Orangemen's Association and was for some time a grand officer of that organization there.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 113-114
Brooks, W. H.
Among those who have by their indomitable energy and perseverance aided in the splendid development which has taken place in Whatcom county in the past forty years or more, and whose labors and accomplishments have entitled them to more than passing notice, is W. H. Brooks. His early years were characterized by hard and continuous labor and he owes his success to no train of fortunate circumstances but solely to the application of mental qualifications of a high order to his personal affairs.
Mr. Brooks was born in Carroll county, Illinois, on the 28th of September, 1857, and is a son of W. H. and Esther (Marr) Brooks, who were married January 21, 1835. The father, who was born in West Flamborough, Ontario, Canada, July 26, 1816, was a pioneer settler of Illinois. His wife was born in Norfolk county, Ontario, Canada, and her death occurred in Iowa, September 9, 1874. When our subject was but a baby, the family moved to Jackson county, Iowa, and later lived in Wisconsin and Indiana, where the father followed farming and also followed the trades of a stone mason and a general mechanic. Our subject secured his education in the public schools of Iowa, Wisconsin and Indiana. After his mother's death he was practically thrown on his own resources, and he worked on farms most of the time until his marriage. In 1877 he located in Iowa, where he was engaged in farming on his own account for two years, and from there he went to Minnesota. On December 12, 1887, he came to Fairhaven, where he remained during part of the winter, and he then located near his present farm, proving up on one hundred and sixty acres of land, on which he lived until 1902, when he went east of the mountains.
A year later Mr. Brooks returned and bought his present place, which was known as the Roeder farm, comprising one hundred acres of land. It had been occupied once before but had been vacant for some time and had fallen into a bad condition, being covered with undergrowth, while part of the land was under water. Mr. Brooks now has the land well ditched and drained, and the fields are producing excellent crops. He carries on general farming, raising hay, grain, potatoes and beets, having twenty acres in the last-named vegetable, and he also keeps six cows and a few hogs. In the days when he first located here he traded at the old Roeder store, which was but a stone's throw from his present home. There were then no roads in this immediate locality, a few trails being the only highways.
In 1877, in Hancock county, Iowa, Mr. Brooks was married to Miss Mary Church, who was the first white child born in that county, of which her father's three brothers were the organizers. She was a daughter of O. D. and Nancy (House) Church, the former a native of Michigan and the latter of Canada. Both parents died on the old homestead in Hancock county. To Mr. and Mrs. Brooks were born two children: Ivan H., who died in 1922, was married to Miss Ethel Warner, to which union was born one child, Mrs. Esther Duncan, who now makes her home with the subject. Mrs. Goldie R. Schuschman resides at Snoqualmie and is the mother of a daughter. Mrs. Brooks was clerk of the school board of her district for about ten years prior to 1902, and Mr. Brooks served as road overseer for seven or eight years during that same period. He has taken an active interest in the advancement of his community, and he assisted in the starting of the C. S. Kate Canning Company, of which he became a stockholder. He was also one of the organizers of the Farmers Mutual Telephone Company and installed several sets of telephone poles near his place. After his wife's death, Mr. Brooks rented out his farm for a number of years, but in the spring of 1925 he again occupied it. During the World war he worked in shipyards and was in many places in Canada and California. He is a man of splendid character and has long held an enviable place in the esteem and confidence of all who know him, for he has proven himself worthy in every respect.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 86-87
Brown, A. J.
Among the enterprising farmers and business men of northwestern Whatcom county is he whose name forms the caption to this review - a man whose earnest life, fine public spirit and sound business ability have gained for him an enviable reputation throughout his locality. A. J. Brown was born at Clintonville, Clinton county, New York, on the 7th of December, 1863, and is a son of A. J. and Phoebe (Robhere) Brown. His father was a native of Manchester, England, when he was brought at the age of two years to the United States by his parents, who located in Franklin county, New York. He was there educated and became a civil engineer. During the Civil war he enlisted in the Tenth New York Regiment of Engineers, and on September 7, 1863, while putting in a pontoon bridge just before the battle of Mission Ridge, he was killed by a sharpshooter's bullet. He had had an honorable record in civil life and before going into the army had served as county engineer of Clinton county. His wife was a native of France and was brought to the United States in her childhood, her family settling on the line between Vermont and Canada.
A. J. Brown, our immediate subject, received his educational training in the public schools of North Adams, Massachusetts, to which place his mother moved after her husband's death. After completing his education, Mr. Brown was employed in the construction of the Hoosac tunnel, as water boy, later working for the New York Central Railroad. He then went to Ohio to visit an uncle and remained in that state for several years, being employed in farm work. He also learned the painter's trade, at which he was employed at Sioux City, Iowa, St. Paul, Minnesota, and other places until 1902, when he came to Lynden, Whatcom county where he followed that trade for twelve years. In 1914 he located on his present place, buying a half acre of land, on which he built a store and residence, and here he has done a prosperous business in the general mercantile line. He handles a complete and well selected line of groceries, hardware, feed, flour, shoes and other goods as are demanded by the local trade, and also maintains an automobile service station, selling gas and oil. He likewise owns a nice farm in Delta township and is now enjoying a well merited measure of prosperity. He is courteous and accommodating and has built up a large and steadily growing trade.
In 1900, while in Wisconsin, Mr. Brown was married to Miss Sophie Beckstrom, who was born in Sweden, a daughter of John and Christina (Erickson) Beckstrom, both of whom also were natives of that country. The father's name was originally Johnson, but he changed it to Beckstrom when he came to the United States in 1881. He located at River Falls, Wisconsin, where he was engaged in farming until 1903, when he came to Lynden, Whatcom county, where his death occurred in 1909. His widow is now making her home with her daughter, Mrs. Brown. Mr. and Mrs. Brown became the parents of six children, namely: Glenn, who died in 1909; Dorothy, who is the wife of George Neidhart, of Delta, and has one child; Helen and Bonna, who are in high school; and Eloise and Avanelle, who are in grammar school. Mr. Brown is a man of splendid personal qualities, friendly and affable in manner, is a good manager, an untiring worker and is kindly and generous in his attitude toward those less fortunate than he.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 318-321
Brown, C. U.
C. U. Brown, one of the best known dairy and poultry farmers of Lynden township, has by his own unaided efforts worked his way from a modest beginning to a position of comfort and influence in his community. His life has been one of unceasing industry and perseverance, and the systematic and honorable methods he has followed have won for him the unbounded confidence of his fellow citizens. Mr. Brown was born in Buffalo county, Nebraska, and is a son of G. A. and Attie (Stinston) Brown, the former of whom was born in Illinois and the latter in Wisconsin. The father followed the vocation of farming up to the time of his death, which occurred in Nebraska in 1905, and his widow is now living in California.
C. U. Brown attended the public schools of his native state and remained on the home farm until 1905, when he came to Whatcom county. During his first year here he was employed as a farm hand and then, in 1906, bought sixty acres of land in Lynden township, much of the tract being covered with water during the winter seasons. It contained much good timber, chiefly cedar and fir, from which eighteen hundred cords of shingle bolts were taken. Mr. Brown put in a lot of hard work in the process of clearing the land and getting it drained sufficiently for cultivation, and he now has fifteen acres under the plow, the remainder being devoted to pasturage. When he came here what is now the Blaine-Sumas road was but a trail, and so thick was the timber and brush on his land that it took him three months to burn out and clear a place for his house. He is now devoting his attention chiefly to dairy and poultry farming, keeping a number of good cows, about two hundred and fifty laying hens and a number of hogs. His soil is fertile and productive and he raises good crops of hay and grain, enough to take care of his stock. He is a hard-working and painstaking farmer, knowing full well the value of time, and has gained an excellent reputation because of his industry and business ability.
In 1901 Mr. Brown was married to Miss Nina Niles, who was born and reared in Fullerton, Nebraska, a daughter of N. C. Niles, a farmer, who is now living in North Dakota. Mrs. Brown's mother died when the daughter was but a small child. To Mr. and Mrs. Brown have been born nineteen children, namely: Lloyd, Grace, Pearl, Gertrude, Walter (died in 1921), Donald, Mildred, Howard, Lila, Dorothy, Leon, Edward and Edna, twins, Fay and Fern, twins, Gene, Kenneth, Keith and one that died at birth. Mr. Brown is a member of the Whatcom County Dairymen's Association and the Whatcom County Poultry Association. He has taken a good citizen's interest in the general welfare of the locality where he lives and served one year as road overseer, while during his early years here he donated a good deal of time and labor to the building of roads. His relations with his neighbors have always been mutually pleasant and agreeable and he has been universally regarded as a splendid citizen, holding to a marked degree the confidence and good will of all who know him.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 903-904
Brown, Edward; Hon.
The Hon. Edward Brown, president of the board of county commissioners of Whatcom county, a former state senator and a former representative in the lower house of the general assembly of Washington, is one of the real pioneers of Whatcom county and one of the best known men in this section of the state, having been a resident here for nearly fifty years and thus a witness to and a participant in the development of this region from pioneer times to the present.
Mr. Brown was born on a farm in the province of Ontario, Canada, January 10, 1857, and is a son of Robert and Mary (Lucas) Brown, who in 1865 came to the United States with their family and settled in Iowa, presently moving from that state to Nebraska, where Robert Brown's last days were spent. His widow and her two sons and two daughters came to Washington in 1877 and settled in what is now Mountain View township, Whatcom county, among the homesteaders of that section. Edward Brown was twenty years of age when he thus was transplanted to this county and he ever since has resided here, his affairs prospering from the days of the old homestead farm until now he is the owner of more than seven hundred acres and is accounted one of the large landowners as well as one of the most influential citizens.
In 1884, in the county, Mr. Brown was united in marriage to Miss Matilda Lopas, daughter of Joseph Lopas, who came to this county in 1877, and they have five children, namely: Cora, wife of Clyde Creek of Bellingham; Myrtle, wife of Jared Davis of Custer; Ivy, wife of Albert Mercy of Bellingham; Herbert E. Brown, a well known young rancher in Mountain View township, concerning who further mention is made elsewhere in this work, and Earl Brown, a professional chemist, now a resident of Kansas City, Missouri.
He is a republican and for years has been recognized as a leader of that party in this district. In 1898 he was elected to represent Whatcom county in the legislature and served for two terms in that body. In 1908 he was elected to the state senate and by reelection was kept in the upper house of the legislature for three terms. In 1920 he was elected to represent his district on the board of county commissioners and is now (1926) serving his second term in that body, being president of the board. His public activities have been prompted by recognition of the duties and obligations of citizenship and at all times he has measured up to the highest standards as an office holder.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pg. 851
Brown, Herbert E.
Herbert E. Brown is proprietor of a well kept place of eighty acres in Mountain View township on rural mail route No. 2 out of Ferndale, where he is giving particular attention to his poultry raising, one of the leading men in that line in his section of the county. He is a native son of Whatcom county and his interest ever have centered here. He was born at Custer, February 15, 1893, and is a son of Edward and Matilda (Lopas) Brown, the former, accounted among the real pioneers of this county, having been a resident here since 1879. He is a son of Robert and Mary (Lucas) Brown, the former of whom died in Nebraska, while the latter came to Washington 1879 with her two sons, James and Edward, and her two daughters and settled on a homestead tract in Mountain View township. Further and interesting details relating to the Brown family in this county are to be found elsewhere in this work. Edward Brown and wife have five children: Herbert E., Earl D., a professional chemist, now connected with the operations of the plant of Procter & Gamble Company in Kansas City; Cora, wife of Clyde Creek of Bellingham; Myrtle, wife of Jared Davis of Custer township; and Ivy, wife of Alfred Mercy of Bellingham.
Reared at Custer, Herbert E. Brown supplemented his local schooling by two years study in the Bellingham high school and two years at the University of Washington, majoring in electrical engineering in that institution. For awhile after leaving the university he took part in his father's farm operations and then became employed as a steam engineer in the operations of the Campbell River Lumber Company and was thus employed during the time of this country's participation in the World war, engaged in essential war service work, a year of this period being spent in Canada. Upon his return in March, 1919, his father gave him the tract of eighty acres in Mountain View township on which he is now living, he and his family being quite pleasantly situated. This was a "cut-over" but uncleared tract when he took possession and he now has about twenty acres of it cleared, his attention being largely given to his dairying and poultry operations. He has a good little herd of Jerseys and something more than twelve hundred hens of the White Leghorn (Tancred) strain and is doing well in his operations, obtaining twelve or fifteen cases of eggs a week. Mr. Brown is a member of the Poultry Association and takes a proper interest in the activities of this helpful and influential cooperative agency. He is a member of the Kappa Sigma college fraternity.
On July 20, 1916, Mr. Brown was united in marriage to Miss Nellie Abbott of Blaine and they have two children, John Edward, born in 1917, and Helen Ann, born in 1920. Mrs. Brown is a daughter of John and Annie Abbott, the latter of whom, a native of Germany, came to this country with her parents in the days of her girlhood. John Abbott, who died in 1913, was a native of New Hampshire and became a resident of Minnesota, from which state he moved to Washington many years ago and became one of the well known citizens of the Blaine neighborhood, where his last days were spent.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pg. 849
James Brown, one of the pioneers of the Mountain View neighborhood, a substantial farmer and dairyman, was resided on a well improved place on rural mail route No. 2 out of Ferndale, for nearly fifty years and has thus been a witness to the development of the region from early times. His recollection goes back to days when the settlers were fighting the cougars and the bears for the right to peaceful possession of their homestead tracts and were clearing the forest land for cultivation. He thus knows just how this region came into its present fine state of development and by actual and sometimes painful experience is familiar with every step of the progress up from the wilderness.
James Brown was born in the province of Ontario, Canada, January 29, 1862, and is a son of Robert and Mary (Lucas) Brown. She was born in Ireland and was but a child when she came across the sea with her parents, the family settling in Canada, where she grew to womanhood and was married. Robert Brown, also a native of Ireland, became a resident of Canada in the '50s and after his marriage was for some years engaged in farming there. In 1864 he came with his family to the United states and settled in Iowa, where he remained for two years, at the end of which time he established his home on a farm in Saline county, Nebraska, where he spent the remainder of his days. In 1879 his widow and her two sons and two daughters came to Washington, proceeding up the coast on the steamer Fanny Lake, and in the land office at Bellingham filed a homestead claim on the quarter section on which her son James is now living in the Mountain View neighborhood and there established her home with the aid of her children proceeded to improve the place. The family moved in with a sled and ox-team and while becoming adjusted to the new conditions made their home in a little cabin that stood on the land. In 1881 the boys, with such kindly assistance as was rendered by good-hearted neighbors, whipsawed enough lumber for a somewhat more pretentious dwelling and the family was able to settle down amid more comfortable conditions. Mr. Brown has vivid recollections of those days of struggle in the wilderness when it was no infrequent thing for bears to make inroads on the pig pens and cougars descend upon the sheepfolds, but the pioneer difficulties in time were overcome and a good piece of property was developed there. Of that original timber tract all is now cleared save a fine grove of about ten acres and the attractive modern house which adorns the place is in striking contrast to the humble cabin in which the Widow Brown and her children found shelter in 1879.
James Brown was but seventeen years of age when he came with his mother, sisters and brother into the wilderness here. As he was not old enough to take up a homestead claim his mother filed her claim and he took a stout part in the labors of proving up on the same. After his marriage in 1888 he established his home there and is now the owner of the original quarter section, which he has improved in admirable shape. In addition to general farming Mr. Brown gives considerable attention to dairying and poultry raising and has a fine herd of Jersey dairy cows, based on registered stock. About sixty acres of his place is under cultivation and the remainder is devoted to his dairying operations. A feature of this farm is the never failing water supply furnished by a living spring on the place and which by a gravity system is piped to all parts of the farm, providing not only an admirable water system for the house and barns but a continual supply for the field troughs. Mr. Brown has for years been recognized as one of the progressive farmers and dairymen of his neighborhood and is doing well in his operations.
It was on November 17, 1888, at Enterprise, this county, that Mr. Brown was united in marriage to Miss Anna Belle Aitken and to this union three children were born, two sons and a daughter, Roy Marshall Brown, who is married and is now living at Medford, Oregon, where he is employed in a wholesale house; Lester Lucas, who died in 1911; and Eva, wife of Claude Wilson of Blaine. Mrs. Brown was born in the city of Chicago and is a daughter of John and Annie (Marshall) Aitken, natives of Edinburgh, Scotland, who were married in Toronto, Canada, in which province their respective parents have settled upon leaving Scotland. John Aitken was a cabinetmaker and organ builder and in the middle '50s located in Chicago, where he and his family were living at the time of the great fire which destroyed the best part of that city in the fall of 1871. He later made his home in Quincy, Illinois, and resided there until 1878 when he became imbued with the pioneer spirit and with his family came to Washington and homesteaded a tract of land in the Enterprise district in this county. This was his first experience in farming and the difficulties he met and overcame may be better imagined that described, but in time he developed a good piece of property and came to be recognized as one of the substantial citizens of that district. He and his wife were the parents of four children. Mrs. Brown was but a child when she came with her parents in 1878 and her education was completed in the schools of this county. Mr. and Mrs. Brown are republicans and have ever given proper attention to the general civic affairs of their home community as well as to general social affairs, and have been helpful in promoting all good movements here. Mr. Brown is a member of the Whatcom County Dairymen's Association and of the poultry Association and has ever done his part in promoting the interests of those helpful cooperative organizations.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 836-837
Brown, L. J.
L. J. Brown is a substantial business man of Lynden and one of the outstanding figures in mercantile circles of the state. He is a native of New York and came to Washington in March, 1902. He was connected for a time with the Lynden department store and then entered mercantile circles of Bellingham. He returned to the Lynden department store in 1917 and since 1924 has been treasurer of the firm. The other officers are W. H. Waples, president; George W. Frick, vice president; and J. P. Boerhave, secretary. The stock consists of dry goods, ready-to-wear clothing, furnishings for men and boys, shoes, hardware, home furnishings, groceries, flour and feed. The store was started twenty-eight years ago with a capital of five hundred dollars and the annual sales of the firm now amount to more than three-quarters of a million dollars. This is one of the most progressive mercantile concerns in the country and the largest west of the Mississippi operated in a community with a population of less than two thousand. Its owners are sagacious, farsighted business men, and in mercantile circles of the Pacific northwest the firm name is synonymous with high standards of service and commercial integrity. Mr. Brown is thoroughly conversant with mercantile affairs and his well directed labors have been essential to the development and success of the business.
Mr. Brown married Miss Marea Johnson, a daughter of Olaf Johnson, one of the early farmers of Whatcom county, and they have become the parents of two children, Myrl and Jack. Mr. Brown is a business man of broad experience and high standing and a citizen of worth to the community.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pg. 703
Brown, Oliver Perry
Oliver Perry Brown had been successfully engaged in the practice of law at Bellingham for a period covering nearly three decades when he passed away on the 1st of April, 1919, at the age of sixty-five years. His birth occurred at Clarksville, Johnson county, Arkansas, in 1854, his parents being Newton and Sarah Brown, who were natives of Virginia and Tennessee, respectively, and represented families long established on American soil. The grandparents were born in the Old Dominion.
O. P. Brown supplemented his early education by a college course at Cane Hill, Washington county, Arkansas, and following his graduation began reading law under the direction of his uncle at Van Buren, Arkansas, where in due time he was admitted to the bar. At the end of about ten years' residence in Van Buren, he came to Washington in 1890 and took up his permanent abode in Bellingham. It had been his intention merely to make a visit here, but he found the location so attractive that he decided to remain. Mr. Brown was engaged in the legal profession at Bellingham throughout the remainder of his life, his success in a professional way affording the best evidence of his capabilities in this line. While a strong advocate with the jury and in his appeals before the court, he preferred and during his later years confined himself largely to his widely varied office practice, specializing in commercial law. He was identified with several of the leading business interests and also on several occasions was retained as special attorney by the city. Much of the success which attended him in his professional career was undoubtedly due to the fact that in no instance did he permit himself to go into court with a case unless he had absolute confidence in the justice of his client's cause. Basing his efforts on this principle, it naturally followed that he seldom lost a case in whose support he was enlisted. Mr. Brown was always interested in farming and farm problems, and at different times he owned and developed several tracts of land and was the owner of a dairy farm at Nooksack, which is now being leased by his widow. At the time of his death he was president of the Whatcom County Dairymen's Association, of which he was one of the founders. He also organized the first Farm Loan Bank in Whatcom county.
In January, 1889, Mr. Brown was united in marriage to Miss Mary Vaughan, who was born at Fayetteville, Arkansas, and spent her girlhood at Fort Smith, that state. Her parents, John and Anna Vaughan, were natives of Tennessee and Arkansas, respectively, while her grandparents were Kentuckians and her great-grandparents and great-great grandparents were all born in Virginia. Mary Vaughan attended Daughters College in Kentucky and managed the home of her parents until the time of her marriage. She has one son, Vaughan Brown, who was born at Bellingham, (then New Whatcom) Washington, in 1893 and following his graduation from the University of California spent three years as a law student in the University of Washington. He saw overseas service during the period of the World war, as a member of the first company formed at the University of Washington, and remained in the army for two years. Vaughan Brown is now practicing law in Bellingham.
O. P. Brown was one of the active leaders of the democratic party and in his earlier years was always an active campaigner, although he never but once sought office himself. He was a member of the Knights of Pythias and was active in numerous civic and charitable affairs, being one of the organizers both of the Y. M. C. A. and Y. W. C. A. and at one time a trustee of the former organization. Himself a nonsectarian, he attended the Christian church, of which his wife was a charter member.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 529-530
Brown, Warren W.
Warren W. Brown, who has been a resident of Bellingham since the days of his boyhood, is a progressive young merchant of that city, a dealer in paints, wall paper and the like and a specialist in interior decorations, with a well stocked establishment on Cornwall avenue. He was born in the town of LeMars, Plymouth county, in northwestern Iowa, November 28, 1892, and is a son of Edwin D. and Mary Jane (Whitmore) Brown, the latter of whom, a native of London, Ontario, died at Bellingham in 1923. Edwin D. Brown, who died in Alberta in 1906, was born in Dixon, Illinois. He became a farmer in Iowa, later followed that occupation in Kansas and Nebraska and in 1897 moved to Canada and established his home in Alberta.
By reason of the several changes of residence made by his parents during the days of his youth, Warren W. Brown attended school in Kansas, Nebraska and Alberta. He was sixteen years of age when in 1908 he came with his mother to Bellingham and became employed as a clerk in the store of the Atwood Paint Company, continuing thus employed until his entrance into the army for service in the World war. It was on December 1, 1917, that Mr. Brown enlisted, and he was attached to the construction department of the air service. With his command he sailed for Europe in March, 1918, and they were stationed in England. For a year Mr. Brown rendered service overseas, or until some time after the war was over, and he was mustered out in April, 1919. He has continued his interest in army affairs and in 1925 was commissioned a captain in the Quartermasters Corps of the reserve army.
Upon the completion of his military service Mr. Brown returned to Bellingham and resumed his connection with the Atwood store, continuing thus engaged until November 1, 1923, when he opened his present place of business at No. 1322 A Cornwall avenue, and he has since continued in business as a merchant on his own account, carrying a full line of paints, wall paper and similar merchandise and making a specialty of interior decorations, with a stock sufficient for the needs of the fine trade area centering in Bellingham. In addition to his sales and show room he has an ample warehouse, and he does a considerable jobbing business in his line and undertakes contract work throughout the territory covered by his service. Mr. Brown is a republican and gives a good citizen's attention to local civic affairs. He is an active member of the local post of the American Legion, an equally active member of the locally influential Rotary Club and is a Scottish Rite thirty-second degree Mason and a Noble of the Mystic Shrine, being earnestly interested in the affairs of all of these organizations.
On October 14, 1923, in Bellingham, Mr. Brown was united in marriage to Miss Eva Clark, a daughter of the late A. B. Clark, one of the pioneer merchants of Bellingham and founder of the Fair store. They have two sons, Warren Clark and Charles Leonard. Mr. and Mrs. Brown have a comfortable home in Bellingham and have ever taken an interested and helpful part in the city's general social activities.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 53-54
Browne, P. H.
During the past two decades P. H. Browne has been the efficient manager of the Caine-Grimshaw Company of Bellingham, dealers in builder's supplies, and who also conduct an extensive wholesale and retail coal business. He was born in the state of Minnesota in the year 1883 and acquired a high school education in his youth. Subsequently he turned his attention to the hardware trade, in which he was engaged until 1906, when he took charge of the business interests at Bellingham, Washington, which are now conducted under the name of the Caine-Grimshaw Company. This concern, which was organized in 1908, took over the interests of the G Street Dock Company, which had been established by the Killdall Fish Company in the '90s and was later owned by the Griffith estates of Minneapolis. As above stated, the Caine-Grimshaw Company handles both building material and coal on an extensive scale, and has its own docks and railroad sidings. The general offices of the company are located at the intersection of C and Maple streets in Bellingham. In 1920 the Caine-Grimshaw Company organized a subsidiary, under the name of the American Concrete Works, for the manufacture of cement products, in which industry employment is furnished to seven men. Possessed of excellent executive ability and sound business judgment, Mr. Browne has capably directed the important interests under his supervision and his efforts have constituted a valuable factor in the continued success of the concern which he represents.
Mr. Browne gives his political allegiance to the republican party and has membership in the Rotary Club. He is a worthy exemplar of the teachings and purposes of the Masonic fraternity and is also identified with the Benevolent Protective Order of Elks. The sterling traits of his character are many, and all who know him speak of him in terms of high regard.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pg. 517