Cadwell, E. N
It is a well authenticated fact that success comes only as the result of well applied energy, unflagging determination and the exercise of sound judgment along definite lines of action. These commendable qualities have been prominent in the career of the subject of this sketch, who is now numbered among the enterprising, energetic and popular citizens of Ferndale township. E. N. Cadwell was born at East River, New Haven county, Connecticut, on the 26th of March, 1875, and is a son of Walter P. and Agnes (Pettigrew) Cadwell. All of his grandparents also were natvies of Connecticut, both families having been of English origin. His father was a native of Connecticut and his mother of Rhode Island. The paternal grandfather, William H. Cadwell, who was a shipbuilder by occupation, came to Port Ludlow, Washington, in 1878, by way of the Isthmus of Panama. Here he established himself as a shipbuilder and followed that business up to the time of his death, which occured in 1887. His wife long survived him, passing away in 1921, at the age of ninety years. In 1878, when but three years of age, our subject came with his father and grandfather to Port ludlow, where they lived about two years. They then moved to the San Juan islands, off the coast of Whatcom county, where the father homesteaded three hundred and twenty acres of land on Crane island. He farmed this tract for a number of years and in 1905 sold it and bought fifteen acres on Lopez island, where he spent the remainder of his life, his death occurring there September 3, 1919.
E. N. Cadwell secured his education in the schools on the islands and lived with his grandfather at Deer Harbor, Orcas island. When he reached the years of young manhood he went to work as a clerk in a grocery store on the island, following that occupation until 1910, when he established a general merchandise store at Friday Harbor, San Juan island. He ran it for about a year and then sold it and came to Bellingham, where he lived until July 31, 1925. Mr. Cadwell then bought thirty acres of land in section 39, Ferndale township, on which he and his wife at once located. It is a fine old place, with a large and commodious house, which they remodeled and greatly improved, and it is now a very comfortable and attractive home. There are also on the place substantial and well arranged barns and chicken houses, and it is a very desirable piece of property. Mr. Cadwell keeps seventeen head of cattle and a thousand hens, as well as a good team of horses. He leases adjoining farm land, which he cultivates, raising hay and grain principally. He has applied himself diligently to the proper operation of his ranch and is achieving very gratifying success. He is thorough in whatever he undertakes and exercises sound common sense in his plans and operations.
On May 10, 1911, Mr. Cadwell was married to Miss Helena Everson, who was born in Clinton, Iowa, a daughter of C. E. and Mary Josephing (Packer) Everson, the latter of whom was a native of Pennsylvania. Her father was born and reared in Denmark, whence he came to the United States about 1870. He located at Clinton, Iowa, where he carried on contracting and building until 1888, when he moved to Bellingham, Washington, and engaged in the same line of business, to which he devoted his energies practically up to the time of his death, which occurred December 19, 1913. His wife died December 22, 1919. Mr. and Mrs. Cadwell were the only children in their respective families. Mr. Cadwell is a member of Puyallup Lodge No. 38, Free and Accepted Masons. He and his wife have been wirnesses of and active participants in the wonderful development of the Puget Sound country and have great faith in the still further growth and greater prosperity of this section. In every relation of life Mr. Cadwell has shown a true and loyal spirit, carrying on his business affairs on the highest plane of business ethics, and taking a public-spirited interest in everything affecting the welfare of the general public.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 929-930
Cahloon, James O.
James O. Calhoon, a well known and progressive dairyman and poultryman of Mountain View township, having a well kept place of fifteen acres near Blaine, is a Hoosier by birth but has been a resident of Washington long enough to feel himself thoroughly at home here and is quite content to regard this as his permanent place of dwelling. Mr. Calhoon was born on a farm in Putnam county, Indiana, May 4, 1878, and is a son of Marion C. and Elizabeth (Trail) Calhoon, the latter of whom, also a native of Indiana, is now making her home with her daughter. M. C. Calhoon, who died at his home in Oklahoma in 1902, was born in the vicinity of Raleigh, North Carolina, became a resident of Indiana in his youth and was there married. He engaged in farming in Putnam county, that state, and there resided until 1884, when he moved with his family to Montgomery county, Kansas, settling on a farm. In 1900 he moved to Oklahoma and in the latter state died two years later.
J. O. Calhoon was six years of age when he went with his parents from his Indiana home to Kansas and was reared on a farm in the latter state. For five years after his father's death he continued farming and then became connected with a feed and poultry business at Shattuck, Oklahoma, and was thus engaged at that place until in 1909, when he came to Washington and located at Walla Walla. After less than a year in that city he came to Whatcom county and bought a tract of twenty acres in Custer township, which he later traded for his present place of fifteen acres in Mountain View township and has since made his home on this latter place, where he is very well established and where he has built up a good little dairy plant. He also is largely interested in poultry raising, having now about five hundred hens, and is doing well in his operations, which are carried on in strict accord with modern methods. Mr. Calhoon is a member of the Whatcom County Dairymen's Association and of the Poultry Association and in the affairs of these two progressive and helpful organizations takes an interested part.
Mr. Calhoon has been twice married. In 1900, in Kansas, he was united in marriage to Miss Flora Parret, a member of one of the pioneer families of that state, who died in 1907. To that union were born two children, twins, Marion J. and Florence, but the latter died when three months old. Marion J. is now an assistant to his father on the dairy farm. In 1909, in Oklahoma, Mr. Calhoon married Miss Elsie Wagner and to this union one child was born, but lived only a few hours. Mrs. Calhoon was born in Kansas and is a daughter of A. H. Wagner and wife, the latter of whom died in 1916. Mr. Wagner is now living in the city of Chicago.
Mr. Calhoon is a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and of the Modern Woodmen of the World and he and his wife attend the Congregational church. In their political views they reserve the right to independence of expression at the polls.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 810-811
Calhoun, William M.
The man who achieves success solely through his own efforts and strength of character is deserving of the highest commendation, and of this type is William M. Calhoun. Deprived of those advantages which are the right of American youth, he endured great hardships in his struggles for existence, and the conflict with adversity has developed the finest qualities in his nature. In the hard school of experience he has mastered life's problems and difficulties, and he is now a successful business man, ranking with the foremost merchant of Bellingham.
Mr. Calhoun was born in Greene county, Ohio, November 23, 1869, and his parents, Newton J. and Anna J. (Lewis) Calhoun, were early settlers of that state. The father was a native of North Carolina and the mother was born in Virginia. In 1876 it became necessary for her to bear most of the burdens of providing for the family, and William M. Calhoun, then a child of seven, was reared in a home of poverty. His mother traded a single barrel shot gun for the first violin he had ever seen, and he learned to play a simple little tune in a week's time and afterward earned a little money through his skill as a musician. From the age of ten to fourteen he blacked boots and worked in stave factories. He worked ten hours a day for fifty cents and had for his lunch a repast of fat meat, cornbread, beans and sorghum molasses. He did everything in his power to aid his mother, who died from neglect and overwork when he was fourteen years of age. She was buried by the county and Mr. Calhoun and his two brothers were given away, after undergoing a course of inspection similar to that to which slaves were subjected. He was thin, having been so long deprived of nourishing food and the proper care, and weighed only sixty-one pounds. He had suffered from hunger and privation and overwork, but he was now suffering a greater hunger, that of human sympathy. Growing tired of the conditions, when nobody seemed to care, he ran away at the end of a few months. He went to Greencastle, Indiana, slipped into a freight car and rode to St. Louis, Missouri. From there he beat his way down through southern Missouri and landed in Cherryvale in the stock pens in southeastern Kansas in the early morning on the 10th of November, 1884. Here he spent three years, working on a farm from twelve to sixteen hours each day for his board and clothes, and then hired out at ten dollars per month. At the age of twenty-one he had had but little schooling and his earthly possessions consisted of a pony, bridle and saddle. He then hired out to Mr. W. H. Powell at fifteen dollars per month and there met a young woman who had just returned from the university. He was determined to get an education, but the farm work and hard study proved too great a strain, and while ill with the fever he was nursed tenderly back to health by the members of his employer's family. The girl from the university read from the books of the best authors to him and loaned him books to go to school. Determined to secure an education he completed the courses of the sixth, seventh and eight grade in one year, at the age of twenty-two, after having suffered a severe attack of brain and typhoid fever which almost cost him his life. Following his recovery, and failing in his attempt to obtain a teacher's certificate, he became discouraged and was ready to give it up, as the reverses seemed more than he could stand. The girl from the university had loaned him the books for his school work, had encouraged him and had pointed out the finer things, and unconsciously she gave him that human sympathy that he had longed for, but he was down in the grades and she in the university, and there was such a deep, wide space between them. Not willing to give up, he entered the normal school, and when he had finished the course he was encumbered with an indebtedness of over five hundred dollars.
After receiving his license Mr. Calhoun secured a position in a country school and within three months the fame of the school had spread throughout the county. He had begun his career as an educator at Cherryvale and in order to continue his work was compelled to take a second examination much more difficult than the first. He proved to the examining board that the examination was not practical, being of too technical a nature, and showing that a teacher is not made by the answering of a list of test questions. He was made a high school principal at Northborro, Iowa, and established an enviable reputation as an educator, served on the teachers' examining board and devoted eleven years to the profession of teaching. The last year of Mr. Calhoun's teaching career was spent as an instructor in the high school at Cherryvale within five blocks of the stock pens where he had landed some years before.
Having a desire to see the big open spaces of God's great out-of-doors, in 1904 Mr. Calhoun turned his attention to merchandising, entering that field at Walla Walla, Washington, and in 1913 he located on a ranch in Whatcom county. He followed the occupation of farming for five years and in 1918 came to Bellingham. He was made sales manager of the Northwest Hardware Company and in July, 1921, began his independent business career, securing a location at No. 1237 Elk street. At first he handled hardware and furnishings for the home, but he now deals in furniture and rugs exclusively and has one of the finest lines in Bellingham. He started the business with a small capital and is now conducting an establishment that would do credit to a city of metropolitan proportions. He is well informed on everything pertaining to the trade and through judicious advertising, able management and honest dealing has won and retained a large share of public patronage.
In five years Mr. Calhoun bridged the space that separated him from the girl of the university, (Miss Nana M. Powell) and on November 22, 1895, he married her. She is a native of Henry, Illinois, and a daughter of William H. Powell, who migrated to Kansas in 1881. Mr. and Mrs. Calhoun were never blessed with children of their own, but they adopted a little girl, Mabel, some twenty years ago. She is now a young woman of twenty-five years and is the wife of George Leif, a well known construction engineer of Tacoma, and they have a son, William George.
Politically Mr. Calhoun is not bound by party ties but casts his ballot for those men and measures that he believes will best conserve the public weal. He belongs to the Optimist Club, the Benevolent Protective Order of Elks, the Loyal Order of Moose and the Independent Order of Odd Fellows. His own struggles as a youth have made him sympathetic toward other unfortunate children, and the assistance which he has rendered to poor, unfortunate boys constitutes one of the outstanding achievements of his career. He has many time gone to the juvenile court, stood up for the delinquent boys, paid the fines imposed and had them paroled to him, and not a single boy has ever turned him down. Three years ago one boy came in to his store asking for help. Mr. and Mrs. Calhoun took the lad home with them, cared for him and loved him. This boy had come to Bellingham with his guardian, a man who was under a one thousand dollar bond for a crime he had committed. The boy was graduated from Whatcom high school last June and is now associated with one of the leading banks in Portland, Oregon, while the man is in the penitentiary at Walla Walla.
Through the school of hard knocks, Mr. Calhoun early learned that deep down within ourselves, far under the outer layers of consciousness, is a power that far transcends the power of any conscious mind, and its power is little short of devine; that fate is always kind - it lets us choose at the great cross roads of decision; that life is always generous - it permits us to build anew over the ruins of past mistakes, to grow exquisite gardens in the barren fields of wasted years. He chose right, at those great cross roads of decision, long before the river of time flowed on into the ocean of years.
Mr. Calhoun is very eloquent in pleading the cause of the delinquent boy, proclaiming that many delinquents are sentenced to the reformatory as a direct result of a cause, while the cause is still permitted to exist. He has give deep thought and study to the "boy question" and believes that the preservation and reclamation of the youth is the salvation of the home, church, school and nation. Some of the leading magazines have complimented him on his service in this connection. His is a splendid record of achievement and should serve as a source of inspiration and encouragement to the youth of our land, proving what may be accomplished by the individual who has the courage to dare and the will to do.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 830-834
Callahan, Alexander L.
Alexander L. Callahan, a veteran of the World war, is serving for the second term as sheriff of Whatcom county and manifests the courageous spirit and fidelity to duty which he displayed on the battlefields of France. He has been a resident of Bellingham for a quarter of a century and for several years was intimately associated with building operations, doing much to improve and beautify the city. He was born January 25, 1873, at Scotch Grove, Iowa, a son of John O. and Anna (Macbeth) Callahan, the former a native of Ireland and the latter of Scotland. The father was a soldier in the Civil war and while in the service of the Union received injuries which resulted in his demise in 1882. After his death the mother went to Nebraska, settling on a farm, and there resided for many years.
Alexander L. Callahan was educated in the public schools of Nebraska and worked for a time in a flour mill. In 1891 he went to Indian Territory and acted as assistant to United States deputy marshal, patrolling the post line in a search for outlaws. After abandoning that adventurous life he returned to Nebraska and for two years followed the occupation of farming. In the meantime he had learned the carpenter's trade and in February, 1900, embarked in the contracting business in Bellingham. His ability soon won recognition and he was intrusted with much important construction work in the city. He remodeled the First National Bank and at the same time the Carnegie Library was erected at Fairhaven, Washington, supervised the work in the capacity of foreman. He also executed many large contracts and examples of his skill as a builder are to be seen in various parts of this district. After his retirement from the business Mr. Callahan joined the police force of Bellingham and was rapidly promoted, becoming a captain. Later he was acting chief and on January 1, 1916, was appointed deputy sheriff of Whatcom county.
In 1918 his loyalty and patriotism prompted him to offer his aid to the nation and he was accepted for military duty, joining Company L of the Engineers Corps. He was later transferred to Company E of the Thirteenth Engineers and next to Company A of the Five Hundred and Forty-sixth Engineers, with which he was sent overseas in August, 1918. He was made first sergeant of his company and participated in the memorable engagements in the Argonne Forest, spending several months at the front. He was assigned to duty with the First Army of American troops and served until July, 1919, when he was honorably discharged at Camp Lewis, Washington. Returning to Bellingham, Mr. Callahan resumed his activities as deputy and in January, 1921, was elected to the office of sheriff, in which he has since been continued. He never falters in the face of danger, performing his duties with thoroughness and efficiency, and is working earnestly and effectively to rid the county of the lawless element, thereby increasing public safety.
On December 4, 1898, Mr. Callahan married Miss Melosena Borcherding, of Nebraska, and they have became the parents of five children but Mabel, the fourth in order of birth, is deceased. Harland, the eldest, is a locomotive fireman in the employ of the Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul Railroad. He is married and has one child. Walter, an engineer, resides in Alaska and also has a wife and child. At the age of seventeen he enlisted in the Ninth Company of Coast Artillery and in January, 1918, sailed for France, remaining at the front until the close of the war. Gertrude is the wife of Miles Price, of Seattle, who was wounded while serving with the American Expeditionary Force, and they have two children. Birdine, the youngest member of the family, is the wife of Alvin Anderson, of Bellingham.
Mr. Callahan belongs to the local post of the American Legion and is the organizer and manager of its drum and bugle corps, which has been exceptionally well trained, winning two state prizes. He is also identified with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, the Woodmen of the World, the Yeomen, the Benevolent Protective Order of Elks, the Fraternal Order of Eagles, the Knights of Pythias, and the Dramatic Order of the Knights of Khorassan. Mr. Callahan has a high conception of the duties and obligations of citizenship and has never violated a trust, enjoying to the full the respect and confidence of his fellowmen.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 736-739
For thirty-six years the name of Allen Campbell has figured conspicuously in business circles of Bellingham and his real estate operations have been a direct agency in the upbuilding of the city, while at the same time he has reaped the reward of intelligently directed labor. A native of Canada, he was born November 14, 1859, and was but ten years old when his parents, Hugh and Katie Campbell, migrated to the states, settling in Iowa. The father was one of the pioneer farmers of that state, in which he spent the remainder of his life, and the mother's demise also occurred in Iowa.
Allen Campbell attended the public schools of Le Mars, Iowa, and after starting out in life for himself turned his attention to the insurance business, with which he was connected for three years in the Hawkeye state. For three years he was engaged in the same line of activity in Kansas and then came to the Pacific northwest. He embarked in the real estate side, where he has since been located. He has handled a large amount of residential property and has done much to improve and beautify the districts in which he has operated. He also deals in loans and insurance as his well known probity has been the most important factor in the upbuilding of the business. He displays excellent judgment in placing his investments and is regarded as an expert valuator, having an intimate knowledge of the worth of all realty in this locality.
In December, 1886, Mr. Campbell was married in Le Mars, Iowa, to Miss Sara McArthur, a native of Canada and a daughter of Duncan and Elexie (Kennedy) McArthur, who journeyed to Iowa in 1884. To Mr. and Mrs. Campbell were born three children. Allene B., the eldest, is the wife of Donald E. Willard, of Pasadena, California, and the mother of one child, a daughter, who is five years old. The sons, Kenneth Duncan and Elliott Hugh Campbell, are well known civil engineers.
Mr. Campbell casts his ballot for the candidates of the republican party and his public service covers six years' incumbency in the offices of justice of the peace and police judge, which he filled from 1894 until 1900, discharging his duties in a highly satisfactory manner. He is a Kiwanian, a member of the Bellingham Real Estate Association, the Chamber of Commerce and the Automobile Club of Washington and along fraternal lines is connected with the Modern Brotherhood of America and the Knights of Pythias. Mr. Campbell is one of Bellingham's most valuable citizens and a man whom to know is to admire and esteem.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pg. 235
Campbell, Alexander Russel
Alexander Russel Campbell, dean of civil engineers in this section of the state of Washington, has been a resident of Whatcom county for almost forty years and has been a witness to and a helpful participant in the development of this region. As county engineer during the time the "lines" were being definitely and permanently established here and as city civil engineer back in the days before New Whatcom and Fairhaven had settled their rivalry by becoming consolidated as Bellingham he did a useful work in the definite establishment of the city and his name ever will be connected with the history of the rise and progress of this community. In his private capacity as an engineer Mr. Campbell has specialized in the engineering features of the fisheries and has for many years been recognized as one of the leaders in his profession on the coast.
A native of Canada, he was born in the province of Nova Scotia in 1851, was reared amid a favorable social environment, given a college education and became a competent civil engineer, a profession he ever has followed. In 1876, when twenty-five years of age, he came to the Pacific coast. In 1883, he located in Seattle and began to take a hand in the engineering problems which confronted the people there in those days of feverish development. In 1888, when growing settlement along the bay in connection with the development of the lumber and fishing industries began to present engineering difficulties which required expert attention, he came here, arriving on September 1, and opened an office. His services immediately were in demand and it was not long until he was well established here, presently was called into public service and as county engineer and city civil service engineer rendered permanent and valuable aid.
In 1886, at River John, Nova Scotia, Mr. Campbell was united in marriage to Miss Catherine A. Sutherland, also a native of Canada, and they have a pleasant home in Bellingham. Mr. and Mrs. Campbell are members of the Presbyterian church and are republicans. Mr. Campbell is a member of the Bellingham Kiwanis Club, whose motto is "We Build," and has ever been a helpful promoter of the interests of his home town.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 410-411
The fruits of victory are for those who dare, and possessing the requisite courage, stamina and ability, Daniel Campbell has passed far beyond the ranks of the many, taking his place with the successful few. For more than a quarter of a century he has been a dominant figure in business circles of Bellingham and the Pacific northwest and his operations in connection with the salmon industry have constituted a vital force in the development and progress of this region.
Mr. Campbell is one of the valuable citizens whom Canada has furnished to the United States. He is a native of the province of Nova Scotia and came to this country in 1889, during his boyhood, spending the period of his youth in Oregon. He was connected for some time with the fuel business and in 1899 came to Bellingham. In the same year he aided in forming the Astoria & Puget Sound Canning Company, of which he was elected vice president. M. J. Kinney was the first president and George M. Hawes, of Portland, acted as secretary. They became the owners of the plant of the Bellingham Bay Canning Company situated on Chuckanut drive, and early in the history of the organization Mr. Campbell purchased the stock of his partners. He has since controlled the business, carefully studying every phase of the trade, and an extensive industry is the visible expression of his well formulated plans, broad vision and executive power.
The plant has been enlarged from time to time and now has a capacity of forty-five hundred cases per day. It is supplied with the most modern equipment and is in every respect a model institution. The company has also established a branch in Alaska and this plant is capable of turning out three thousand cases per day. It has a force of one hundred operatives, and the Bellingham cannery furnishes employment to two hundred persons. The corporation maintains a large fleet of fishing boats and scows and ships its output all over the world, selling through brokers, and it has aided in making Bellingham the salmon center of the world. The product of the firm has always been maintained at a high standard and is unsurpassed in quality and flavor. In 1923 the Astoria & Puget Sound Canning Company purchased the interests of the Ainsworth & Dunn Packing Company at Blaine, Washington, acquiring the cannery, traps, boats and pile-drivers of that concern, and has greatly increased the scope of the business. In 1917 Mr. Campbell and associates organized the Royal Dairy Products Company, which installed the first powdered milk plant at Bellingham, and he was president of the business in 1923, when it was sold to the Whatcom County Dairymen's Association. He is a director of the First National Bank of Bellingham, and he is constantly expanding the scope of his activities as opportunity offers, typifying the progressive spirit of the west.
Mr. Campbell is married and has one daughter, who resides at home. He is a Knight Templar Mason and Shriner and has taken the thirty-second degree in the order. He is an adherent of the republican party and was serving on the city council at the time of the consolidation. He is an influential member of the Chamber of Commerce and for four years has been president of the Bellingham Golf & Country Club. Mr. Campbell has been a leader in all public developments and is entitled to classification with America's "captains of industry," for he represents that class of men who are capable of controlling the forces of trade and commerce and directing them for the benefit of the majority. The Golden Rule has been his guide throughout life, and few careers in Bellingham have matched his in service to the city.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 546-547
Campbell, John C.
The true western spirit of progress and enterprise is strikingly exemplified in the career of John C. Campbell, a well known poultry man of Ferndale township, whose energetic nature and laudable ambition have enabled him to conquer many adverse circumstances and advance steadily to success. Such a man is a credit to any community and he has long been recognized as one of the leading citizens of Whatcom county.
Mr. Campbell was born at Garnkirk, Lanarkshire, Scotland, on the 4th of December, 1854, and is a son of William and Margaret (Kane) Campbell, both of whom were natives of Argyle, Scotland, and are deceased, the mother passing away in 1872 and the father in 1910. William Campbell was a mine boss and was a man of strong character and sterling habits. John C. Campbell attended the public schools of his native land and then was employed in the strip yards in Greenock, Scotland. In 1873 he went to Cape Town, South Africa, where he remained only about six months, going from there to Adelaide, South Australia, where he spent two and a half years in prospecting and mining. About 1878 Mr. Campbell came to the United States, landing at San Francisco, whence he went to Placer county, California, where he was employed in the mines about a year. He then went to Arizona and was in the employ the the Mexican Central Railroad, for two years in Arizona and old Mexico. On quitting the railroad business he came to Tacoma, Washington, and a short time later went to Idaho, where he spent one winter in prospecting. From there he went to Boulder, Montana, where for two years he was employed by the Bank of Helena to do assessment work in the mines, and later engaged in the livery business for two years. In 1891 Mr. Campbell removed to Clallam county, Washington, where he took up a homestead, on which he lived for about six years.
Selling it in 1901, Mr. Campbell came to Whatcom county and bought forty acres of land, located on the Pacific highway, in Ferndale township. It was covered with brush and timber and to the clearing of this land he at once applied himself with energy, so that in the course of time he found himself in possession of as fine a tract of cultivable land as was to be found in that locality. Here he carried on general farming, kept some cows and also chickens. In the spring of 1919 Mr. Campbell concentrated his energy and attention on the chicken business, which he had decided was a sound commercial proposition. To this end, he stocked up with Barred Plymouth Rock hens, but eventually changed to White Leghorns, which he kept about three years. However, his experience with the last named breed was not entirely satisfactory and he changed back to the Plymouth Rocks, of which he now keeps eight hundred and fifty laying hens, at one time having the largest Plymouth Rock poultry farm in the state. He maintains his own electric hatchery and broodery and all products are marketed locally. Mr. Campbell has built two fine chicken houses, one being twenty by two hundred feet in size, and the other twenty-four by eighty-four feet, and also a brooder house, eighteen by sixty feet, all being fully equipped in every respect, including electricity. Mrs. Campbell keeps an accurate account of all receipts and expenditures in connection with the chickens and statements show a very gratifying profit in return for the year's effort. She is a member of the board of directors of the Barred Plymouth Rock Club of the state of Washington. The flock owned by Mr. and Mrs. Campbell is the largest flock of pure bred Barred Rocks in Washington and they are deservedly proud of the splendid success which they have had with their hens.
On November 30, 1889, Mr. Campbell was married to Miss Maude M. Marlette, who was born in Minnesota, a daughter of James H. and Mary L. (Bamber) Marlette, both of whom were natives of Ohio. Her parents are now deceased, the father dying in November, 1908, and the mother in May, 1924. The Marlette family moved to North Dakota inn 1882, where the father followed his trade, that of a millwright, for three years, and they then moved to Alhambra Springs, Montana. To Mr. and Mrs. Campbell have been born three children: Margie M., born August 27, 1890, in Montana, is the wife of N. A. Dameron, a native of Nebraska and they now live at Hamilton, Skagit county, Washington. They have four children, Elwyn Gordon, Neil McRae, Mary Lucille and Kenneth Campbell. Loren, born on August 14, 1892, is camp superintendent for a large logging company in Whatcom county. He owns five acres of land and a nice home near Bellingham. He is married and has five children, Leroy, Jack, Allan Clyde, Lorna Maude and Peggy. Clyde Gordon, born March 26, 1897, graduated from the State Normal School at Bellingham, and then entered the State University, where he was graduated in 1924, with the degree of Bachelor of Arts. He was a member of the Coast Artillery during the World war and served as top sergeant at Fort Casey and Fortress Monroe, Virginia, where he was training for an officer when the war came to a close. On July 26, 1925, he was married to Miss Grace M. Riggs, who possesses a life diploma from the State Normal School. He is now the head of the history department in the high school at Olympia, Washington.
Mr. and Mrs. Campbell are ardent supporters of every movement for the betterment of the community along material, civic or moral lines, and they occupy an enviable place in the confidence and esteem of the entire community.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 896-899
Campbell, John F.
A tireless worker, John F. Campbell has steadily advanced toward the goal fixed by his ambition and is now numbered among the successful automobile dealers of Bellingham. He was born March 1, 1883, and is a native of Onondaga county, New York. The father, John B. Campbell, devoted his attention to the contracting business, and his widow, Mrs. Mary E. Campbell, still resides in the Empire state.
John F. Campbell received his education in Syracuse, New York, and in 1904, when a young man of twenty-one, entered the employ of the Franklin Automobile Company of New York. Taking a deep interest in his work, he soon familiarized himself with the business and in 1910 sought the opportunities of the west. He located in Boise city, Idaho, securing the Studebaker agency, and conducted the business for two years. He next came to Washington, choosing Seattle as the scene of his activities, and for three years was agent for the Maxwell cars. On the expiration of that period he became a dealer of the Dodge Brothers automobiles as a member of the firm of Eaton & Campbell and was thus engaged until 1918, when he sold his interest in the business with the purpose of entering the United States army. In April, 1919, Mr. Campbell came to Bellingham and has since been local agent for the Dodge Brothers cars. In order to provide better accommodations for his rapidly growing business he erected a modern brick building, which was completed June 1, 1925, and is situated at the intersection of Grand and Central avenue. The structure is seventy-five by one hundred and thirty-three feet in dimensions and has three floors, one of which is a mezzanine. Eight mechanics are required in the service department and Mr. Campbell also has four office employes, four salesmen, one stock clerk, a floorman and a janitor. He has sold over eight hundred Dodge cars in Whatcom, San Juan and Skagit counties, and is well informed on all new developments in connection with the automotive trade. His executive force is guided by sound judgment and his business is conducted in an honorable, straightforward manner.
On May 12, 1923, Mr. Campbell married Margaret D. Deming, a daughter of Mrs. F. L. Deming, of Bellingham, and by a previous marriage Mrs. Campbell has a son, Jack. Mr. Campbell belongs to the Arctic Club of Seattle, the Bellingham Golf and Country Club and the local Kiwanis Club. He is one of the energetic members of the Bellingham Chamber of Commerce and owes allegiance to no political faction, voting according to the dictates of his judgment. He is a fine type of the modern business man - forceful, sagacious and farsighted, and his personal qualities are such as make for popularity. He has thoroughly allied his interests with those of Bellingham and regards the city as an ideal place of residence.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 663-664
With no advantages to aid him at the outset of his career, John Campbell has thoroughly demonstrated his strength of character and ability to cope with life's problems and difficulties. He is now numbered among the prosperous agriculturists of Whatcom county and is also a township officer, residing in the vicinity of Bellingham. He was born in 1863 and is a native of Scotland. His parents, John and Jean Campbell, were also Caledonians, and his mother, who has reached the advanced age of ninety-three years, still lives in Scotland, but the father is deceased.
Mr. Campbell received a public school education and in 1881, when eighteen years of age, severed home ties, yielding to the lure of the new world. He obtained employment in New York city and after the day's tasks were finished attended night school, being very anxious to advance. He next journeyed westward, spending a few years in Wisconsin, and later went to North Dakota. In 1888 he came to Washington and for three years was a resident of Seattle, doing field work for the city engineer. He aided in building the waterworks plant on the Cedar river and afterward lived for a time in Yakima and at Ellensburg, Washington. Mr. Campbell came to Whatcom county about 1903 and obtained a position in Bellingham, later working in the logging camps of this district. In 1907 he invested his savings in land, purchasing a tract of twenty acres near the city, and has cleared half of the place. He also owns thirty acres adjoining and engages in general farming. He operates a small dairy and is likewise one of the well known poultrymen of this section, having a flock of seven hundred hens. His work is conducted along scientific lines and everything about the ranch is indicative of the careful supervision and progressive spirit of the owner.
In 1905 Mr. Campbell married Miss Lettie Grimes, of Wisconsin, and they have become the parents of two daughters, Jean and Blanche, both at home. Mr. Campbell is a republican in his political convictions, and for seven years he has been justice of the peace. With the exception of one term he has filled the office of township assessor ever since Van Wyck township was established, and in considering matters affecting the general welfare he gives to them the same deep thought and study that he habitually bestows upon his private interests. He has shirked no duty, fulfilling every obligation in life to the best of his ability, and his record proves what may be accomplished when effort and ambition combine.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 180-181
Canfield, Chauncey T.
In the path of an orderly progression, each step being made at the cost of earnest labor and close application, Chauncey T. Canfield has reached the goal of success, and the strength that he manifests in business circles of Bellingham has its root in an upright, honorable manhood that has won for him the unqualified respect of all with whom he has been associated. He was born in 1851 in Connecticut and attended the public schools, his youth being spent on his father's farm. He was connected with agricultural pursuits until 1871 and then entered the employ of the Erie Railroad Company. He remained in the east until 1882, when he went to North Dakota, and also engaged in railroad work in that state. He was called to public office in 1884, becoming auditor of Eddy county, North Dakota, and served in that capacity for five years.
The year 1889 witnessed Mr. Canfield's arrival in Whatcom, Washington, and for a time he was a clerk in a general store. He has been connected with the abstract business since 1890 and is now manager and secretary of the Bellingham Abstract Company. The other officers are A. M. Muir, president; J. B. Bennett, vice president; and Cyrus Gates, treasurer. The business was incorporated in April, 1924, and was started June 18, 1924. The corporation took over the interests of the Abstract Title & Insurance Company, which was organized November 1, 1909, and also absorbed the business of five other companies then operating on the bay. These were the firm of J. P. De Matos, which was formed in 1886; the Pettibone Brothers Abstract Company, established in 1888; Bennett & Clark, successors to Meyer & Scott, established in 1886 and one of the three original firms in this locality; Muir & Muir, who in 1900 became owners of the business of Butler & McCarty, founded in 1890; and the Bellingham Bay Abstract & Title Insurance Company. The business of the last named corporation was founded in 1890 and started in the Citizens Bank building at Fairhaven, now a part of Bellingham. It was moved to Whatcom, April 1, 1900, and in June, 1901, to No. 113 Prospect street. Subsequently it was located at the corner of Bay and Holly streets but in 1914 was again established in the Prospect street building, which is the present home of the Bellingham Abstract Company. This corporation has the most complete set of books in the county and ranks with the largest abstract firms in the northwest.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pg. 608
Carle, Henry F.
For more than forty-three years Henry F. Carle, one of the substantial farmers and landowners of the Ferndale neighborhood, has been a resident of Whatcom county and therefore accounted one of its early settlers, for when he came here conditions in his neighborhood were still pretty much as the pioneers found them, government land still on the market and the wild creatures of the forest still plentiful. Elsewhere in this work are presented two pictures of the village of Ferndale as Mr. Carle knew it when he came into this country, reproductions of photographs presented by him for publication this history of the country, and which by contrast and comparison tell the story of progress made here during his time far better than any verbal descricption could convey to the reader a realistic conception of the advancement made in conditions here during the time of men __ active in affairs in this favored region. Mr. Carle thus properly may say, "All of this I saw and part of it I was." He knew the country when it was just entering upon what may be regarded as its "modern" period of progress and he has many an interesting story to tell of pioneer conditions as he found them in the early '80s.
Henry F. Carle is a native of the Keystone state. He was born on a farm in the vicinity of Rome, Bradford county, Pennsylvania, November 11, 1864, and is a son of William and Catherine (Green) Carle, both born in that state, the former a member of one of the pioneer families there and the latter a daughter of settlers who came from England. Reared on the home farm, Mr. Carle finished his school work in the Rome Academy and in 1880, when in his sixteenth year, joined the great number of young men who about that time were turning their faces toward the west. For a year he "prospected around" as a farm hand in Kansas and was then employed by the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railroad in Colorado. Presently he went to Yankton, South Dakota, and not long afterward became engaged in business in Wahoo in Saunders county, Nebraska, in association with his brother-in-law, Franklin Brun__. Yielding to the lure of the coast country, in 1882 he started for San Francisco and on the train en route he made the acquaintance of that stout pioneer and promoter, Captain Roeder, who pointed out to him in such glowing colors the advantages of settlement in Whatcom county that he came here. He bought a quarter section of government land just south of Custer, paying a dollar and twenty-five cents an acre, and settled down to the difficult task of clearing and developing this. Not long afterward he sold half of this tract and presently sold to advantage the remainder, after which he bought an "eighty" in the immediate vicinity of Ferndale. He partially cleared this and in 1886 sold this at a profit, after which he bought a "forty" two miles south of Ferndale, which tract he cleared and still owns. In 1902, following his marriage, Mr. Carle located on his present place on rural mail route No. 3 out of Ferndale and has since made his home there, he and his family being very pleasantly and comfortably situated. He there has a tract of about thirty-eight acres, which he cleared and which is now well improved and under excellent cultivation.
It was on October 22, 1902, at North Bellingham, that Mr. Carle was united in marriage to Miss Elgie Furman and they have six children: Loiletta, Leona, Henry, Cleora, Lida and William. Loiletta is now engaged in teaching in the schools of Port Blakely, Leona is a senior and Henry a junior in the high school. Mrs. Carle was born in Minnesota and is a daughter of Jeddiah Furman. She has been a resident of the coast country since 1902. Mr. Carle has ever given thoughtful attention to the general civic affairs of his community and for some time rendered public service as supervisor of roads in the Slater district.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 826-827
Carlyon, E. F. G.
Among the men of vision, courage and ability who are making history in northwestern Washington, none is better known than E. F. G. Carlyon, a dominant force in the development of Whatcom county and one of the foremost stock raisers in the Pacific coast region. He was born in 1861 and is a native of New Zealand. His parents were George G. and Anna Maria (Ford) Carlyon, the former of whom was born in Cornwall, England, and the latter in Devonshire. The father was a major in the British army, being attached to the Royal Infantry, and served throughout the Crimean war. He was wounded in action and his military career was marked by conspicuous bravery and gallantry. After the war he was appointed commandant of the tower of London and afterward went to the West Indies with his regiment and was later invalided home. From there he journeyed to New Zealand in the hope of improving his health and purchased thirty-three thousand acres of land from the government. He established a large stock ranch, on which he ran pure bred cattle, sheep and horses, and was very successful in that business, in which he continued until his death about 1883. He was long survived by the mother who passed away in 1913.
E. F. G Carlyon is one of a family of nine children. He attended a grammar school at Canterbury, New Zealand, was afterward a student at Christ College, and completed his education in Cambridge University, in England, receiving the degrees of B. A. and LL. B. He was a member of the Inner Temple Bar of London. In the fall of 1888 he arrived in Whatcom county, Washington, and purchased a large tract of land in the town of Whatcom. He felt that this was destined to become one of the important cities of the state and has lived to see his faith justified. He did much to stimulate the growth of the town and built a road to Lake Whatcom, also a telephone line. He bought three hundred acres of land at Silver Beach and, with a syndicate which he organized, platted the village and there constructed a hotel and dock, playing a leading part in the development of the place. In 1900 Mr. Carlyon began raising pure bred Jersey cattle and has made a notable success in this field of endeavor. He received valuable training under his father, and he is widely recognized as an authority on matters pertaining to the breeding of pedigreed stock. He brought from New York the dam of the celebrated St. Mawes, one of the greatest bulls ever known, and his herd comprises about twenty registered Jerseys. His cattle have been exhibited throughout the west and stock of his breeding have won blue ribbons at the International Show in Portland and in other large cities of the country, as well as championships at the Oregon State Fair.
In July, 1904, Mr. Carlyon married Miss Lucille Duvall, who was a native of Arkansas and died in December, 1905. She had become the mother of a daughter, Helen A. L., who was born at Ferndale, June 16, 1905, and resides at home. On November 15, 1919, Mr. Carlyon was united in marriage to Miss Isabella Thallon Hogg, a native of Fifeshire, Scotland, and a daughter of Andrew and Martha (Dryburgh) Hogg. Her mother was born in Berwick, Scotland, and the father's birth occurred in the city of Glasgow. Mr. Hogg was prominent in political affairs of that country, and he responded to death's summons in 1923. He had long survived his wife, who passed away in 1905. Mrs. Carlyon was graduated from the University of St. Andrews in Scotland, winning honors in French, and was awarded the degree of L. L. A. She studied languages in Switzerland, France and Germany and is an accomplished linguist, conversing fluently in four tongues. She also studied abroad and in 1910 entered the Swanley Horticulture College for Women, completing a course in that institution of learning. She went to South Africa during the Boer war and taught in the concentration camps. She did private tutoring in England and was also teacher of French and German at Bellingham. Mr. Carlyon is a gentleman of the old school, of chivalrous nature and dignified bearing, and his courteous manner is the outward expression of a warm heart and genial, sympathetic disposition that have drawn to him hosts of friends, who speak of him in terms of high regard.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 330-331
Carman, I. B.
It is proper to judge of a man's life by the esteem in which he is held by his fellow citizens, who witness his conduct in all the relations of society, business and public affairs and are therefore competent to judge of his character. In this connection it is not too much to say that I. B. Carman, of Nooksack, has ever stood high in the esteem of his neighbors and acquaintances, for his conduct has been honorable in all the relations of life, his duties as a citizen have been well performed and in business he has been successful and enterprising. Mr. Carman is a native of Mason county, Illinois, his birth occurring on the 25th of September, 1848, and his is the only survivor of the eight children who blessed the union of Israel and Charity (Curry) Carman, both of whom were natives of New York state. During the big cholera epidemic of 1833, the father took his family to Illinois, floating down the Ohio river by boat to the Mississippi and then being towed up that river to Bath, on the Illinois river, in Mason county, and there he spent the remainder of his life, his death occurring in 1848. After his death the family moved to Nebraska, the mother buying a ranch in Johnson county, where she spent her remaining days, passing away in 1872.
I. B. Carman was educated in the public schools of Mason county, Illinois, and was reared to the life of a farmer, which occupation he followed in Illinois, Nebraska and Missouri. He had learned the carpenter's trade and also followed that line of work to some extent. In 1889 he sold out his interests and came to Nooksack, Whatcom county, where he went to work as foreman of building operations for M. J. Heney, a big railroad contractor, and Mr. Carman practically built the town of Nooksack. In 1893 he bought thirty acres of heavily timbered land, two miles north of Nooksack, to the improvement of which he applied himself with vigor and energy. He built a good house, created a good farm and lived there until 1919, when he moved to a small farm at Nooksack which he had purchased in 1910. He has this place largely planted to berries, and also raises berries on his other farm, deriving a very satisfactory income from this source. His field crops are mainly hay and peas, which he feeds to the fine herd of dairy cattle which he keeps. He has been an active worker and has accomplished much in the way of improvements. He was the first public auctioneer in Whatcom county, and during the years since he entered this line he has had charge of many public sales and sold many farms and stores, as well as other property.
Mr. Carman was first married to Miss Mellisa Towns, of Nebraska, a daughter of J. Towns, and to them was born a son, J. W., a native of Missouri. He (J. W.) has been twice married, having by the first union two children, Jessie and Lena, and two by the second, Margaret and Conrad, and he now lives in Spokane, Washington. On July 4, 1893, I. B. Carman was married to Miss Kate Bulmer, who was born in Darlington, England, a daughter of John and Jane (Morrell) Bulmer, both of whom also were natives of that country, the father born October 16, 1835, and the mother October 27, 1831. Jane Morrell was long a favorite servant in the household of Lord Byron, the poet. John Bulmer was proud of the fact that he had thrown a railroad switch on the Darlington & Stockton Railroad for the first locomotive built in England. He was a tailor by trade and followed that calling in England until 1870, when he came to the United States, locating in Clay county, Kansas, where he homesteaded eighty acres of land, to which he later added by purchase eighty acres. To the improvement and cultivation of this tract he devoted himself until 1891, when he came to Whatcom county, locating in Nooksack, where he spent his remaining years, his death occurring in 1900. To him and his wife were born the following children: John, G. D., Thomas, deceased; Joseph, who lives in Bellingham; Emma, the wife of Fred W. Handy, of Nooksack; and Mrs. Kate Carman. To Mr. and Mrs. Carman have been born three children, namely: Mrs. Margaret Johnson, born January 16, 1898, who lives at Clearbrook; Thomas Benjamin, born November 18, 1899, who remains at home; and Mrs. Annie E. Cloud, born October 7, 1901, who is the mother of two children, Elsie Margaret, born July 15, 1922, and Donald C., born February 12, 1925.
While Mr. Carman has so conducted
his individual affairs in such a manner as to gain a comfortable competence for himself, he also belongs to that
class of representative men of affairs who promote the public welfare while advancing individual success. He possesses
to a marked degree those sterling traits of character which command uniform confidence and regard, and no man in
the community stands higher in the good will and esteem of the people generally.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 163-164
Carr, Sabine L.
Energetic, determined and capable, Sabine L. Carr has accomplished what he has undertaken, winning success in the insurance business, and for more than twenty years Bellingham has numbered him among its loyal, public-spirited citizens. A native of Canada, he was born in Woodstock, New Brunswick, in 1876, and his parents, James and Eliza (Stewart) Carr, have passed away. They were of Scotch descent, and the father was a dealer in hemlock bark.
Sabine L. Carr received a liberal education, completing a course in the University of Mount Allison, New Brunswick, in 1898, and in 1904 he was graduated from the Ontario College of Pharmacy, while in the same year the University of Toronto conferred upon him the degree of Phm. B. He then crossed the border into the United States and was employed for a time by F. H. Putnam & Company, pharmacists of Boston, Massachusetts. In 1905 he came to Bellingham and obtained a position as pharmacist with Collins & Company of this city, subsequently becoming the owner of Carr's Pharmacy, which he conducted for two years. He then sold his stock to Dr. Mohram and in 1910 purchased the insurance business of George W. Felker. Mr. Carr has since controlled the enterprise, representing the strongest and most reliable companies in the field, and his well directed efforts have been productive of most gratifying results. He has made a careful study of the business and his thorough knowledge of the subject of insurance enables him to aid patrons in securing the policies best suited to their needs.
In January, 1907, Mr. Carr married Miss May Gilligan, who was born in Fir, Skagit county, Washington. She is a daughter of James Gilligan, one of the first settlers of Bellingham. Her uncle, Hugh Eldridge, was auditor of Whatcom county from 1886 until 1891 and for eighteen years served as postmaster of Bellingham, retiring from the office in 1916 under the Wilson administration. He was one of the promoters of the Fairhaven & New Whatcom Street Railway Company, of which he served as president for some time, and subsequently became a dealer in real estate. To Mr. and Mrs. Carr were born three children, but Mary Stewart, the youngest, is deceased. The others are Hugh Eldridge and Sabine L., Jr., aged respectively sixteen and twelve years.
Mr. Carr has taken the thirty-second degree in Masonry and is a Noble of the Nile Temple of the Mystic Shrine. He belongs to the Woodmen of the World and the Benevolent Protective Order of Elks and is a charter member of the local Rotary Club. He is secretary of the Cougar Club and is also connected with the Bellingham Automobile and Golf and Country Clubs. He has been honored with the presidency of the Insurance Agents League of Washington and is one of the progressive members of the Chamber of Commerce, while his political views are in accord with the platform and principles of the republican party. Mr. Carr has conformed his life to a high standard of conduct and enjoy's the unqualified respect and confidence of his fellow citizens.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 222-223
Carson, C. V.
C. V. Carson, a representative and successful young business man of Bellingham, is the president of the Carson Grinding Company, conducting a well equipped specialty machine shop. His birth occurred at Kansas City, Kansas, on the 20th of October, 1893, his parents being Bernard and Amy Carson, who have been residents of Texas since 1901. The father is actively engaged in the manufacture of ice in the Lone Star state.
C. V. Carson acquired a public school education in Texas, where he also studied mechanical engineering and mastered the machinist's trade. He had attained the age of twenty-eight years when in January, 1922, he came to Whatcom county, Washington, and settled at Bellingham, where he opened a cylinder grinding and machine shop at No. 221 Prospect street. Mr. Carson was the first man in the city to conduct a specialty shop for the care and repair of internal combustion automobile engines and the first to install a Heald grinder. The business is carried on under the firm name of the Carson Grinding Company, and the concern has well equipped lathes and all up-to-date facilities for the work undertaken.
On the 5th of December, 1924, Mr. Carson was united in marriage to Cecil Bishop, of Bellingham, where both are held in popular esteem. He gives his political support to the republican party, is a member of the Optimist Club and fraternally is affiliated with the Benevolent Protective Order of Elks.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pg. 515
Cassils, Henry Arlington
Henry Arlington Cassils, one of Everson's self-made men, is engaged in general merchandising and is also a successful agriculturist. He was born May 5, 1880, in Norfolk county, Ontario, and his parents, William Henry and Jennie (Wrightman) Cassils, were likewise Canadians, both being natives of that province. The father came to northwestern Washington in 1888, locating in Sehome, now a part of Bellingham, and sent for his family in 1890. Through his skill as a carpenter he contributed materially toward the upbuilding of the city, in which he still make his home, but the mother has passed away.
Henry A. Cassils attended the public schools of Bellingham, and after his education was completed he was employed as a clerk, becoming well acquainted with mercantile affairs. He also engaged in railroad work and for a time filled a position in a shingle mill. When he had accumulated sufficient capital he established a business of his own, opening a confectionery store at the corner of D and Holly streets in Bellingham, and was afterward a traveling salesman, representing an oil company. Subsequently he became a street car employee and was also a clerk in a cigar store. In 1921 he invested in land in Lawrence township, purchasing a tract of forty acres, and the place is now known as Cassils' Corner. He has developed a fine farm and raises many varieties of bulbs. His store contains a large and carefully selected stock of general merchandise and a liberal patronage in indicative of his standing as a business man. He handles automobile accessories and also operates an oil filling station. Mr. Cassils is able to scatter his energies without lessening their power and is constantly expanding the scope of his activities as opportunity offers. He is likewise the owner of a poultry ranch and in its operation follows scientific methods.
On December 3, 1900, Mr. Cassils was married to Miss Lida B. Powell, a native of Humboldt county, California. Her father, William C. Powell, was born in Shullsburg, Wisconsin, in 1836 and went to Minnesota in 1857. He remained in that state until 1860 and then stated for the Pacific coast, spending three years in California. He lived in Nevada from 1863 until 1865 and then returned to the Golden state, in which he was engaged in prospecting for some time. In 1870 he married Miss Jennie G. Burr, who was born in Connecticut and made the journey to California in 1866. To their union were born two daughters: Lida B., and Louise M., now deceased. The family came to northwestern Washington in March, 1883, and Mr. Powell conducted the Whatcom House, becoming widely known as one of the pioneer hotel men of the bay district. He was also active in public affairs and served for many years on the Whatcom council. After severing his connection with the hotel business he lived retired until his death. His wife reached the venerable age of eighty-three years, passing away March 19, 1919. Mr. and Mrs. Cassils have a daughter, Mrs. Charles Riley. Mr. Riley was formerly a resident of Van Zandt but is now conducting the Cassils gas station. Mr. Cassils is a stanch democrat in his political views but has never sought office as a reward for party fealty. He is thoroughly imbued with the progressive spirit of the west and has been very successful in all of his undertakings. His integrity has never been open to question and his worth as a citizen is uniformly acknowledged.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 876-877
Caulkins, Carl E.
Carl E. Caulkins, a prosperous ranchman of Maple Falls township, has lived in this section since it was a frontier district and his labors have constituted a vital force in its development. He was born in 1861, and is a native of Bad Axe county, Wisconsin. His parents were Elijah and Fannie (Hoxsie) Caulkins, the former a native of New Hampshire, while the latter was born in Warren county, Pennsylvania. They were Wisconsin pioneers and the father was a Union veteran, serving with the First Wisconsin Battery. In 1890 Elijah Caulkins came to Whatcom county and took up a claim in the Maple Falls township, paying for the property with script. Through patience and industry he brought the land under the plow and eventually became the owner of a productive farm, on which he spent the remainder of his life. He responded to death's summons in 1912, and the mother, who has reached the advanced age of eighty-seven years, is residing with the subject of this sketch. To their union were born six children: Ella, the wife of Myron Dunlap, of Iowa; Carl E.; Ordell Hoxsie, whose home is in Bellingham; Herman, a resident of Everett, Washington; Estella, at home; and Glen, of Cashmere, this state.
Carl E. Caulkins was educated in the public schools of his native state and on starting out in life for himself chose the career of an agriculturist. In 1888 he sought the opportunities of the Pacific northwest and came to Washington, taking up a homestead on Maple creek, below Silver lake. He was the second white settler in the district, which was then a wilderness, and the streams were filled with fish, while cougars, bears and deer roamed through the dense forests. He zealously applied himself to the task of developing his land and has transformed the virgin soil into a fertile farm, supplied with many modern conveniences and improved with good buildings. He is also operating the homestead on which his father settled, and he ranks with the most progressive agriculturists of this part of the state. Mr. Caulkins is a republican in his political views and at the time the township was formed he was elected supervisor. He filled the office for three years and during that period much constructive work was accomplished. He is a typical pioneer, endowed with the qualities which are essential in the development of a new district, and in the course of an active, useful and upright life he has won many loyal, sincere friends.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pg. 886