The man who gains prosperity is he who can see and utilize the opportunities that come across his path. The essential conditions of human life are ever the same, and when one man passes another on the highway of life it is because he has the power to use advantages which probably are within reach of the whole race. John Chamberlain has been awake to certain opportunities that presented themselves and by untiring perseverance and indomitable energy has achieved gratifying success. He was born in Michigan in 1854 and is a son of George and Mary (Pertall) Chamberlain, the former of whom was a native of England, while the latter was born in Ireland and died when the subject was but four years of age.
John Chamberlain was reared on his father's farm and attended school in Michigan and Ontario, Canada, though his education has been secured mainly in the hard school of experience. He remained on the home farm, about thirteen miles from Detroit, until he was about twenty-one years of age, when he began sailing on the Great Lakes, shipping as quartermaster on the ship City of Detroit, plying between Cleveland and Detroit and followed that vocation for three years. He then went to Ontario, where he was engaged in logging for three years, having charge of a large gang of teams. Then for three years he was engaged in the same line of work in Ohio, after which he went to Nebraska and homesteaded a tract of land, to the improvement and cultivation of which he devoted himself for six years. He then came west, arriving in Whatcom county February 15, 1889, and at once started getting out timber for the streets in "Old Town." After that job was completed he went to work for Senator Canfield on Eliza island, remaining there for three years, at the end of which time, in 1893, he went to Lummi island and began logging. Soon afterward he bought a tract of land, of which he cleared between thirty and thirty-five acres. He cut and delivered good cedar logs at Bellingham for five dollars a thousand feet. During the years that he has been on the island, Mr. Chamberlain has bought considerable timber land and logged it off, and the place where he now lives adjoins his original purchase. During a number of summers he drove piles for fisheries, while during the winters he cut timber. He has made many good improvements on his land and is giving special attention to dairy farming, owning four good grade Jersey cows, while he devotes considerable of his arable land to the raising of potatoes, in addition to hay and grain, and he has a nice bearing orchard for family use. He has about sixty-five acres of land here and is very comfortably situated, so that during recent years he has been able to take things more leisurely, enjoying the fruits of his former years of toil.
In Detroit, Michigan, Mr. Chamberlain was married to Miss Margaret Ganley, who was born in Leavenworth, Kansas, a daughter of Robert and Josephine Ganley, the former of whom died in Ontario, while the mother is buried in the Lummi cemetery. To Mr. and Mrs. Chamberlain have been born two children, namely: E. B., who lives in Bellingham, is married and has five children, one of whom is deceased; and George Robert, who lives at Bremerton and is married and has one child. He spent twenty years in the United States navy, being a commissioned officer during the World war, and is now employed in the navy yard at Bremerton. John Chamberlain is a man of pleasing address, kindly and genial in manner, and possesses a forceful personality that impresses all with whom he comes in contact. He has taken a commendable interest in everything affecting the welfare of the community and has richly merited the confidence and esteem which is accorded him.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pg. 912
Chapman, Lawrence G.
Among the experienced and capable business men who have aided in the development of Washington's logging industry is numbered Lawrence G. Chapman, widely known as manager of the Bellingham Boom Company. He was born in 1869 in Indianapolis, Indiana, a son of George H. and Hannah (Gilman) Chapman, the former a prominent lawyer of that city. Lawrence G. Chapman received a public school education, and his first position was with a lumber firm of Indianapolis. In 1889 he went to Stanley, Wisconsin, and for fifteen years was identified with the lumber industry of that state, and in 1904 he journeyed westward. For six years he was a resident of Idaho, and in 1910 he came to Washington, locating in Seattle, where he spent six years. He has since been manager of the Bellingham Boom Company, which controls unloading and rafting facilities at this point on the bay, with offices in the First National Bank building. Mr. Chapman give to the corporation the services of an expert, and during his tenure of office the business has been maintained at a high standard of efficiency.
On October 14, 1916, Mr. Chapman was united in marriage to Miss Theresa Walker, a native of Oregon. He belongs to the local Kiwanis and Country Clubs and is identified with the Masonic fraternity, likewise being one of the enterprising members of the Chamber of Commerce. His political indorsement is given to the republican party. He has faithfully discharged every duty and obligation in life and enjoys to the fullest extent the respect and confidence of his fellow citizens.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pg. 95
Charroin, Victor; Rev.
The Rev. Victor Charroin, a retired clergyman of the Methodist Episcopal communion, is a son of Victor Charroin, who was one of the real pioneers of Whatcom county, a homesteader in the Mountain View district, who became a prominent personal factor in the development of that region and whose last days were spent there. The junior Victor Charroin was but a lad when he came to the coast with his parents from Wisconsin in the '60s of the past century and in good time he returned east to complete his studies, was prepared for the gospel ministry, ordained a clergyman of the Methodist Episcopal church and began preaching in Princeton, Wisconsin, where he remained for some years. In 1883 he was attracted to the mission field of his church and for seven years was engaged in mission labors in South Dakota. Returning then to Wisconsin he was engaged in regular ministerial work there until in 1899, when failing health prompted his return to the coast and he has since been living here.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pg. 450
Cingmars, E. F.
In such men as E. F. Cingmars there is special satisfaction in offering their life records - not necessarily that his career has been such as to gain him wide reputation or the admiring plaudits of men, but that he has been true to the trusts reposed in him, has shown such attributes of character as entitle him to public regard and has been useful and successful in his sphere of action. Mr. Cingmars is a native of Wisconsin, his birth occurring November 20, 1869. His parents were F. X. and Marion (Gauthier) Cingmars, the former a native of Canada and the latter of the state of New York. The father was for a time engaged in farming in Wisconsin, but sold out there and came to Washington, where he spent his remaining days. He retired from active affairs in 1896 and thereafter made his home with his daughter, Mrs. Walter McLaughlin, near Ferndale, where his death occurred March 5, 1917, when he was eighty-three years of age. His wife died March 23, 1918, at the age of seventy-three years. They were the parents of two children, Mrs. Emma McLaughlin and E. F.
The latter received his education in the public schools at Wrightstown, Wisconsin, and then took a course in a business college at Green Bay, that state, where he was graduated in April, 1888. He then engaged in railroading, which occupation he followed until his marriage in 1894, after which he went to Minneapolis, Minnesota, where he lived for seven years, being employed as a salesman for a mineral water company. In 1901 he took up a homestead in Koochiching county, Minnesota, which he proved up and where he lived until 1909, when he sold the place and came to Bellingham, Whatcom county, Washington. He bought forty acres of land one mile northwest of Ferndale in Ferndale township, which at that time was but partly cleared, but he now has twenty-five acres under cultivation, on which he raises hay and grain, and has about five acres planted to apples, pears, cherries and plums, in the raising of which he has been very successful. He keeps seven good milk cows and some young stock and a pure bred Guernsey bull. He has made a number of splendid improvements on his ranch, its general appearance indicating him to be a man of excellent taste and good judgment.
Mr. Cingmars was married April 19, 1894, to Miss Olga Pauline Behnke, who was born in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, a daughter of G. H. and Paulina (Brunk) Behnke, both of whom were natives of Germany. Mr. Behnke came to the United States about 1865, locating in Milwaukee, where he engaged in the wholesale liquor business, from which he later turned his attention to the contracting business. His last years were spent in retirement and he died December 25, 1925. His wife passed away in 1878. They were the parents of fourteen children, of whom eight are living, namely: Selma, Olga, Ada, Gustav, Ernest, Dorothy, Edward and Flora. To Mr. and Mrs. Cingmars have been born two children. Frank, born January 25, 1895, lives at Concrete, Whatcom county. He married Miss Maude Treese and they have a son, Stephen, born March 29, 1918. Rachel, born February 7, 1899, is the wife of Eli Anderson, of Bellingham, and they have a son, Jackie, born May 17, 1924.
Mr. Cingmars is a member of the Whatcom County Dairymen's Association and, with his wife, belongs to the Pomona Grange. Fraternally he is a member of Ferndale Lodge, No. 141, Independent Order of Odd Fellows, of which he has been financial secretary for thirteen years; and also belongs to Bellingham Aerie, No. 31, Fraternal Order of Eagles, and to the Wisconsin Club of Bellingham, of which he was president one year. He takes a deep interest in local public affairs and has served continuously since 1911 as treasurer of Ferndale township. He is a man of energetic methods and sound business principles, shows excellent judgment and wise discrimination in the operation of his ranch, and is accounted one of the enterprising and progressive men of his section of the county. Because of his fine record and his commendable personal qualities, he has long had the confidence and good will of the entire community.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 752-755
Clark, Eugene S.; M.D.
Dr. Eugene S. Clark, one of the well known physicians of northwestern Washington, has practiced in Sumas for twenty-three years and is also doing important work in connection with the United States public health service. He was born in New York, May 22, 1858, and his parents, Sylvester and Helen (Collier) Clark, were also natives of the Empire state. In 1865 the father journeyed with his family to Minnesota, casting in his lot with its pioneer settlers, and there followed the occupation of farming until his demise.
Dr. Clark was but a boy when his parents migrated to Minnesota, and after the completion of his high school course he entered the medical department of the State University, from which he graduated in 1888. He began his professional career in Wilmot, South Dakota, but soon afterward came to Washington, arriving in Whatcom in 1889. He maintained an office in Blaine for a few years and in 1892 entered the employ of the government, becoming connected with the department of the interior. In 1902 he returned to Whatcom county and since 1903 has followed his profession in Sumas. He has built up a large practice and is also acting assistant surgeon of the United State Public Health Service, having charge of the medical department of the immigration office at Sumas. He has a high conception of the responsibilities of the office and his work has been of much value to the government.
On October 6, 1902, Dr. Clark was united in marriage to Miss Lottie A. Pattee, of Oregon. He is a Knight Templar Mason and wise master of Rose Croix Chapter of the Scottish Rite consistory. He has taken the thirty-second degree in the order, is a Noble of the Mystic Shrine and is president of the Past Masters Association of Free and Accepted Masons of Whatcom county. He is an exemplary representative of the craft and is also identified with the Independent Order of Odd fellows, the Knights of Pythias and the Benevolent Protective Order of Elks. Dr. Clark takes a deep interest in the activities of these fraternal organizations and is a trustee of the Odd Fellows building in Sumas. He served for many years as vice president of the Whatcom County Medical Society and is also a member of the Washington State Medical Society and the American Medical Association. His powers have grown through the exercise of effort and his scientific knowledge and skill have placed him with the foremost physicians and surgeons of this section of the country.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pg. 259
Clark, Maria S. McLeod (Ferguson)
In touching upon the life history of Mrs. Maria McLeod Clark, one of the best and most favorably known women in the vicinity of Ten Mile, it is not desired to use extravagant praise, yet it is purposed to relate those facts which have shown the distinction of a true, useful and honorable life - a life characterized by perseverance, courage, energy and charity. To do this will be but to reiterate the dictum pronounced upon her by the people who know her best.
Maria Sutherland Ferguson was born in Nova Scotia, a daughter of John and Maria (Sutherland) Ferguson, both of whom were natives of Scotland, whence they immigrated to the New World, settling in Nova Scotia. Maria S. Ferguson received a good education in the public schools of her home neighborhood, and in 1875 she became the wife of John McLeod, who also was a native of Nova Scotia, a son of George and Annie (Munroe) McLeod, natives of Scotland. In 1869 John McLeod had made a trip to the Pacific coast, visiting Seattle, and had formed a favorable impression of this section of the country, and in 1877, leaving his wife and daughter at home, he again came here, with the intention of founding a home. Three years later he was joined by his family, the daughter, Janie, being then about five years of age. In 1883 Mr. McLeod entered a homestead near McLeod lake, now called Green lake, his land being located in the midst of a dense timber tract. While living here he worked in logging camps most of the time, clearing the land as he could between times, and during this period he was ably assisted by Mrs. McLeod, who in those early days showed the spirit of the true pioneer, enduring the hardships and privations of pioneer life that they might build for the future. The country was extremely primitive in all essential respects and wild animals, such as bears, deer and cougars, roamed the woods around their place. They lived there for seven or eight years and then, after proving up on the homestead, Mr. McLeod sold it and preempted eighty acres of land near the present home of the family. They made many improvements on this tract, creating a comfortable home, and the family lived there about twenty years, much of the land being cleared and four hundred and eighty fruit trees planted and growing well.
On June 29, 1896, Mr. McLeod was accidentally killed in a timber chute in British Columbia, and during the ensuing years Mrs. McLeod worked hard, running the ranch and raising her children. As a usual thing she went to Bellingham for the winter, returning to her ranch in the spring and operating it during the summer. She lived on that place seventeen years after her husband's death, and by her courage and bravery in carrying on her affairs she won the respect and admiration of all who knew her. When they first located on this place the nearest highway, the Telegraph road, was two and a half miles away. Their early trading was done at Bellingham, but later Prouty's store afforded them more convenient trading accommodations. Mrs. McLeod milked the cows and churned her butter. She obtained good prices for butter, eggs, hogs, and other products of the farm, and she succeeded in educating her children, sending them to school at Bellingham. In 1919 she sold the farm.
In April, 1912, Mrs. McLeod became the wife of Washington Clark, and in the following November they moved to the present family home at Ten Mile. Mr. Clark is a native of West Virginia, where he was born March 27, 1850, and at the age of two years he was brought west by his parents, who located in Illinois. He was reared and educated there, and when twenty-one years old he homesteaded one hundred and sixty acres of land in Jewel county, Kansas, on which he lived until about twenty-five years ago, when he came to Whatcom county. He has been married twice and by his first union had a son, La Rue, who is living near Sumas, this county. To Mr. and Mrs. McLeod were born three children: Janie became the wife of Charles Hagler, and they had one child, Ivan D., who died when about a year old. Mrs. and Mrs. Hagler also are deceased. Clarissa M. lives in Vancouver, British Columbia. Clarence, born in 1885, is married and lives at Butte, Montana. Mrs. Clark is a woman of splendid personal qualities, kindly and gracious in manner, and by her commendable life she has won a high place in the love and esteem of her many friends throughout this locality.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 38-39
Minnie Clark is well known as director of the Bellingham School of Music and Art, which has contributed not a little to the cultural advancement of the city. She is a native of Kansas and a daughter of E. B. and Mary E. Clark, who were born in Kentucky and Missouri, respectively. Her father, who was successfully engaged in the contracting business during his active career, lived in honorable retirement prior to his death, which occurred in 1923. Her mother departed this life in the year 1908. E. B. Clark gave his political allegiance to the democratic party and fraternally was identified with the Masonic order.
Minnie Clark, who spent the period of her childhood in the Sunflower state, arrived at Bellingham, Washington, on the 16th of September, 1900. Here she taught music for a number of years, while for three years she was connected with the Wilson & Briggs Music company on Elk street. Thereafter she instructed music pupils in her home until about 1917, when she became a piano teacher in the Bellingham School of Music and Art, which was then under the direction of John A. Van Pelt. It has an annual enrollment of about eight hundred. Mr. Van Pelt was succeeded as director by H. Goodell Boucher, the predecessor of Miss Clark, who has been in charge of the school since 1922. Miss Clark has membership in the Bellingham Music Club, the Chamber of Commerce, the Business and Professional Women's Club and the P. L. F. Club. She was reared in the faith of the Methodist church and has conformed her life to its teachings. Her highly developed skill as a musician has won her an enviable place in Bellingham's art circles and her attractive personality has gained her deserved popularity among her many friends.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pg. 532
Clark, Phillip M.
Phillip M Clark, one of the prosperous agriculturists of Whatcom county, also engaged in plumbing and steamfitting, has lived in this region for nearly a half century, witnessing much of the actual "winning of the west," and from the storehouse of memory he relates many interesting anecdotes of the early days. He was born July 12, 1877, in San Francisco, California, in which city his parents, Michael Joseph and Ellen (Phelan) Clark, located during the conflict between the states and for a number of years followed the profession of a marine engineer. He came with his family to Whatcom county in 1878 and purchased the Hedge donation claim. He also took up a homestead of twenty-seven acres, and his holdings at first comprised one hundred and seven acres. From time to time he acquired additional tracts and eventually became the owner of hundreds of acres of rich and arable land, doing much to develop the agricultural resources of the county. His standards of farming were high, and he was among the first to introduce fine stock into this district. He was a man of progressive spirit and after years of unceasing toil transformed his property into one of the model farms of northwestern Washington. Mr. Clark was sub-agent for the Lummi Indian agency and filled that post for twenty-five years, faithfully discharging his duties. His long and useful life was brought to a close in 1916, and he is survived by his widow, who has reached the advanced age of eighty-six years. In their family were six children, two of whom survive, namely: Phillip M., and Catherine, the wife of Stanford Mayhew and the mother of three children.
Phillip M. Clark was but a year old when his parents settled in Whatcom county, and his education was acquired in its public schools. He aided his father in the work of plowing, planting and harvesting, thus gaining a practical knowledge of agricultural pursuits, and he owns and operates the homestead in the Marietta district. He has added many improvements to the place and is a firm believer in scientific methods, keeping ever abreast of the times. As a young man he learned the trade of plumbing and steamfitting and has since been thus engaged, being a skillful and efficient workman.
In 1905 Mr. Clark was united in marriage to Miss Vera Mary Birdsell, of Lynden, Washington, a daughter of Reuben and Mary Ellen Birdsell, who came to Whatcom in 1886. During the World war Mr. Clark became a member of Company K, First Battalion, and later was transferred to Company M, of the Second Washington Battalion, serving valiantly until the close of the war and receiving his honorable discharge in Bellingham. He is a staunch adherent of the republican party and for many years has been deputy game warden, making a fine records in the office. He belongs to the Fraternal Order of Eagles and is a trustee of the Pioneers Association of Whatcom County. Mr. Clark has made an exhaustive study of the language and customs of the Indian tribes of this region and is regarded as an authority on matters pertaining to their history. He is largely familiar with events that have shaped the progress of this section of the state, bearing an honorable part in the work of civilization, and his many good qualities have established him high in public regard.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 502-505
Clarke, P. A.
P. A. Clarke, of Lynden township, Whatcom county, is a man whose life has become an essential part of the history of this locality, and he has exerted a beneficent influence in the community honored by his residence, as has also his wife, the former in business and educational affairs and the latter in social and fraternal circles. Mr. Clarke's chief characteristics are fidelity of purpose, keenness of perception, unswerving integrity and sound common sense, which qualities have earned for him the esteem of the entire community. He was born in Pepin county, Wisconsin, in 1855, and is a son of D. E. and Mahala (Garrish) Clarke, the latter of whom was born in Maine and died in 1903. D. E. Clarke was a native of New York state and became a mill man by occupation. He moved to Pennsylvania, where he lived for a time, but eventually located in Wisconsin, being a pioneer of the locality in which he settled, and there he spent his remaining days, his death occurring in 1895.
P. A. Clarke secured a good, practical education in the public schools of his native state and remained on his father's farm until he was about twenty-eight years old, when, at the time of his marriage, he took part of the farm and operated it on his own account until 1889. Then, because of his wife's poor health, they came to Washington, locating in Bellingham, near where he rented a farm. He went to work in Bellingham for the Bellingham Bay Improvement Company, and also did some railroad work. They then went back to the Wisconsin farm, where they remained until 1899, when they again came to Whatcom county and bought sixty acres of land in Lynden township, where they now live. A part of the tract was cleared and Mr. Clarke cleared the remainder, about fifteen acres, and did a good deal of ditch draining, so that the land is now in fine shape for cultivation and is producing abundant crops of hay and grain. There was a barn on the farm when he came here, but the other buildings have all been built by him, the improvements adding to the value and desirability of the property. Mr. Clarke is carrying on general farming operations, giving considerable attention also to dairying, for which purpose he keeps twelve good grade Holstein cattle, in the handling of which he has been very successful. He also keeps about five hundred laying hens, which he has found to be a very profitable adjunct to his other farming operations.
In 1882 Mr. Clarke was married to Miss Ella Jones, who was born at Taylor's Falls, Minnesota, a daughter of F. B. and Ada (Thomas) Jones, the former a native of Ohio and the latter of Michigan, and who became early pioneer settlers in Minnesota. To Mr. and Mrs. Clarke have been born six children: Vernie E. is a student in the University of California. Ada is the wife of George Bruce, of Lynden, and the mother of four children. Ivy is the wife of R. C. Palmer, who runs the Sunset garage at Lynden, and they have five children. Roy E. is a graduate of the State Agricultural College, at Pullman, and is now assistant superintendent of the government experiment station at Kodiak, Alaska. He is a veteran of the World war and was injured in the service while overseas, and also met with an accident in Alaska. Under careful treatment under government supervision he has recovered and is now again in good health. Bergie K. is a graduate of the State Normal School at Bellingham and taught in the public school at Sumas for two years. Percy A. is now a student in the State Agricultural College at Pullman.
Mr. Clarke has always been deeply interested in the educational affairs of his community and rendered effective and appreciated service as a member of the school board of the North Prairie school, which all of his children attended and from which they were graduated. Fraternally he is a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and the Modern Woodmen of America, while at the time he first came to Washington he was a member of the Junior Order of American Mechanics. Mrs. Clarke is a member of the Pythian Sisters, the Daughters of Rebekah and the Woman's Relief Corps. She is active in these orders and is a very popular member of the circles in which she moves. About three years ago Mr. Clarke was disabled by illness, and during his inability to look after the farm work she took his place and practically ran the farm for two years, or until he was again able to take charge. Mr. Clarke is a man of candid and straightforward manner in all his relations with his fellowmen, who have long since learned to appreciate his splendid character and fine public spirit. He keeps in close touch with the issues of the day, on which he holds sound opinions, and he earnestly cooperates with his fellow citizens in all movements for the advancement of the community welfare.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 913-914
No resident of Ferndale township, Whatcom county, in recent years has been better or more favorably known than was the late Joseph Clarkson, who was an enterprising miller and a public-spirited citizen, who, while advancing his personal interests, never neglected his duties to his community. Whatever of success he attained was entirely due to his individual efforts, prominence in his adopted country, which entitled him to the high esteem which he enjoyed among his neighbors, all of whom reposed in him the utmost confidence. Joseph Clarkson, whose death, on December 16, 1913, was looked upon as a distinct loss to the entire community in which he lived, was born in the Province of Quebec, near Montreal, Canada, on the 30th of May, 1861, and was a son of Joseph and Jane (Fulton) Clarkson, the former a native of Quebec and the latter of the north of Ireland. Joseph Clarkson, Sr., was a prominent and extensive lumberman in Quebec, owning his own sawmills, and remained in the business until 1892, when he came to Washington, remaining here until his death, which occurred at Ferndale January 2, 1900. His wife passed away on December 17th of that year. To this worthy couple were born seven children, namely: Mrs. Maggie Hamilton, who lives in Vancouver, British Columbia, and is the mother of five children; John, deceased; Mrs. Annie Morrison, who lives in San Diego, California, and has a son; Joseph, the immediate subject of this memoir; Robert, of Ferndale township, who is represented on other pages of this work; Mrs. Agnes English, who lives in Montreal, Canada, and is the mother of two children, and James who owns and operates a sawmill in Okanogan county, Washington, and is married and has a son.
Joseph Clarkson received his education in the public schools of the neighborhood, remaining at home until 1890, when he came to Whatcom country and here followed his trade, that of a carpenter, being employed in the mills at Ferndale. Later he went to Seattle, where he lived for some time, and then returned to Whatcom county and bought twenty acres of land, a mile west of Ferndale. He built a comfortable house and lived there until 1902, when he moved to a new home one and a half miles east of Ferndale. He engaged in the operation of a shingle mill on Barrett Lake, in partnership with his brother, Robert, carrying on the business about ten years, when it was discontinued because of the scarcity of timber near enough to make it profitable to haul it. Mr. Clarkson was a man of earnest purpose, upright life, and sound business judgment. His life was one of indomitable industry and perseverance, for he know no such word as idleness, and he did thoroughly and well whatever he undertook. He was a man of fine disposition, genial and friendly in his social relations and he so ordered his actions as to receive the respect and esteem of all who came into contact with him.
On May 23, 1899, Mr. Clarkson was married to Miss Belle Farnsworth, who was born at Castle Rock, Cowlitz county, Washington, a daughter of James and Mary (Odell) Farnsworth. The father, a native of Iowa, died October 11, 1888, and the mother, a native of Indiana, died April 14, 1895. Mrs. Clarkson's paternal grandfather came to Oregon in 1860 and located in the Willamette valley. He was a physician by profession and practiced medicine there until his retirement, his death occurring when he was eighty-eight years old. James Farnsworth went to Oregon with his parents in 1860 and farmed there for a few years. In 1870 he moved to Castle Rock, Washington, where he lived several years, and then returned to Oregon, where his death occurred October 11, 1888. He was survived a number of years by his wife. They were the parents of four children, namely: Dempster, who lives in McMinnville, Oregon; Albert, of Portland, Oregon; Mrs. Clarkson, and Mrs. Eva Haines, who lives in Okanogan county, Washington. To Mr. and Mrs. Clarkson have been born five children: Walter James, born October 30, 1900, graduated from the Ferndale high school and then entered Washington State College, where he was graduated in 1924. He is now engaged in testing cattle for the Yakima County Dairymen's Association; Elmer Joseph, born September 15, 1903, graduated from high school, and is now a student in the Washington State College; Laura May, born June 3, 1905, graduated from high school and is a student in the State College; Merton Robert, born July 25, 1908, is in high school; Willard Lincoln, born February 12, 1911, is also in school. Mrs. Clarkson now owns twenty-six acres of land in Ferndale township, where she is very pleasantly situated and is carrying on general farming, in which she is ably assisted by her younger sons. A fine modern house was built in 1914, and the place is well improved in every respect, being nicely situated on the paved highway between Bellingham and Blaine. Mrs. Clarkson is a lady of tact and good judgment, take a commendable interest in the general welfare of the community and, because of her gracious character and her friendly and hospitable manner, she enjoys an enviable standing throughout the community.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 606-607
One of the successful farmers and highly respected citizens of Ferndale township is Robert Clarkson, who has worked hard for the competency which he now enjoys, and knows how to appreciate the true dignity of labor and to place a correct estimate on the value of money. Although born under a foreign flag, he is absolutely loyal to all of our national institutions and Whatcom county has been honored in his citizenship. Mr. Clarkson was born near Montreal, Quebec, Canada, on the 30th of May, 1864, and is a son of Joseph and Jane (Fulton) Clarkson, the father a native of Quebec and the mother of the north of Ireland. Joseph Clarkson was a prominent and extensive lumberman in Quebec, owning his own sawmills, and remained in that business until 1892, when he came to Washington to live, remaining here until his death, which occurred at Ferndale, January 2, 1900. His wife passed away December 17th of that same year. To this worthy couple were born seven children: Mrs. Maggie Hamilton, who lives in Vancouver, British Columbia, and is the mother of five children; John, deceased; Mrs. Annie Morrison, who lives at San Diego, California, and has a son; Joseph, deceased, who was married and the father of five children; Robert; Mrs. Agnes English, who lives in Montreal, Canada, and is the mother of two children; James, who owns and operates a sawmill in Okanogan, Washington, and is married and has a son.
Robert Clarkson was educated in the public schools of Canada and then worked at home for several years, after which he served as camp boss for seven years for one man in the lumber woods of Canada. On March 17, 1896, he came to Whatcom county, Washington, locating at Ferndale, and a few years later he and his brother Joseph established a shingle mill on Barrett lake, which they operated with success for about ten years. Owing to the fact that timber was too far away to haul with profit, they discontinued that business, and in 1903 Robert Clarkson bought seven and three quarter acres of land, about one and a half miles east of Ferndale, and entered upon the task of clearing it of the brush and stumps which encumbered it. In 1918 he bought fifty-three acres adjoining his first purchase but later sold that tract. He has bought and sold several ranches in this county, generally buying the unimproved land, and then clearing it and selling it at a good profit. He is also the owner of a fine, well-improved ranch of thirty acres near Lynden. In 1907 Mr. Clarkson built a fine, modern, eight-room house on his farm, conveniently arranged and equipped with electricity. He also has an electrically-driven pumping plant for irrigation purposes. In 1910 he built a commodious and well-arranged barn and in every way has maintained his place at a high state of improvement. He is now retired from active business and is living in comfortable retirement in his cozy home.
On July 15, 1895, Mr. Clarkson was married to Miss Ellen Taylor, who was born in Quebec, Canada, the daughter of Henry and Mary Ann (Allen) Taylor. Her parents were both also natives of Canada, where her mother is still living, her father having passed away July 28, 1887. He was a successful farmer and a man of eminent standing in his community. To him and his first wife was born a son, John, while to his union with Mary Ann Allen were born seven children, William, deceased, Robert, Ellen, William Henry, Mrs. Elizabeth Bottomley, Mrs. Alicia Quinn and Richard. The last-named enlisted from Montreal in the Thirteenth Battalion of Royal Highlanders of Canada, Became a sergeant, and was killed in action in France, May 23, 1915. In every essential manner Mr. Clarkson has measured up to the true status of good citizenship and no man in his entire locality stands higher in the confidence and esteem of the people that he.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 611-612
An enumeration of those men of the present generation who have won honor and public recognition for themselves, and at the same time have honored the locality to which they belong, would be incomplete were there failure to mention the man whose name forms the caption to this sketch. He has sustained a very enviable reputation in agricultural circles and has taken a commendable interest in the public affairs of his community, in which he has been a potent factor. Merl Clinard is a native of Van Buren county, Michigan, and his birth occurred on the 23d of March, 1879. He is a son of Jacob and Melissa (Decker) Clinard, the former a native of Indiana and the latter of Ohio. At about the close of the Civil war the family located in Michigan where the father followed farming pursuits until 1912, when he came to the Nooksack valley, Whatcom county, and bought a few lots and a house in Nooksack. He is now making his home with his son, the subject of this sketch. To him and his wife were born two children, Merl and Mrs. Carrie Walmer, who lives in Nooksack.
Merl Clinard received his education in the public schools of Michigan and worked for his father and on neighboring farms until he was nineteen years of age, when he came to Whatcom county and for a few years was employed in sawmills and in the timber. He then moved the Bellingham, where he remained about a year, and in 1902 he bought twenty acres of land on the Guide Meridian road, in Ten Mile township, it being all woods and brush. He devoted about six years to clearing this land and developing it into a good farm and then sold it. In February, 1908, he bought eighty acres of land in Nooksack township, five miles south of Sumas, all of the land excepting a few acres being densely covered with timber and undergrowth. He applied himself vigorously to the clearing of the land and now has about twenty-two acres in cultivation. He carried on general farming, hay and potatoes being his principal crops, the remainder of the land being in pasture and wood lots. He keeps nine good cows and has been very successful in the dairying business. He has made a number of fine improvements on the place, including a fine barn, which was built in 1915, and he is numbered among the progressive and enterprising farmers of the Nooksack valley.
In 1900 Mr. Clinard was married to Miss Martha Slack, who was born in Michigan, a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Bradford Slack, both of whom are deceased. They had nine children, of which number four are living. To Mr. and Mrs. Clinard have been born six children, namely: Cecil, born August 24, 1901; Bernice, born August 8, 1903, who is now the wife of Emil Grant and lives in Oregon; Myrtle, born September 24, 1904, who is the wife of Gerald Gooding and lives near the home place; Thelma, born February 28, 1906; Edna, who was born January 5, 1911, and died September 5, 1923; and Phyllis, born November 5, 1917. Mr. Clinard is a member of the Whatcom County Dairymen's Association. He has long been actively interested in the welfare of his community and has taken a good citizen's part in public affairs. He rendered effective and appreciative service as a member of the Glen Echo school board, and in 1922 he was elected township supervisor, in which position he is still serving, to the entire satisfaction of his fellow citizens. His personal relations with his fellowmen have ever been mutually pleasant and agreeable, and he is highly regarded by all, being easily approached and obliging and straight forward in all the relations of life. He is one of those solid men of brain and substance so essential to the material growth and prosperity of a community, and his influence has been willingly extended in behalf of every deserving enterprise having for its object the advancement and moral welfare of the locality.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pg. 289