Coffelt, Enoch J.
Agricultural pursuits have occupied the attention of Enoch J. Coffelt throughout the period of his active career, and upon an intensive study of methods, wide experience and unceasing industry has been founded the success which has placed him in the front rank of the progressive farmers and poultrymen of Mountain View township. He was born in San Juan county, Washington, in 1886, and is a son of Jasper and Rozella (Ritchie) Coffelt, the former a native of Iowa and a member of one of the old families of that state. The mother was born in Indiana and has passed away. Her father, George W. Ritchie, made the long arduous journey across the plains with a team and wagon and took up a homestead on Lopez island, in San Juan county, Washington, where Jasper Coffelt had entered a claim a few years previous to that time, and while living here the latter was married to Miss Ritchie. He was one of the earliest settlers in that district, in which he still resides.
Enoch J. Coffelt received a public school education and remained at home until he reached the age of eighteen. He was employed as a farm laborer until 1909, when he went to Oregon and entered a homestead. He proved up on the claim, which he eventually converted into a fertile farm, and in 1914 traded the place for a forty acre tract near Blaine, in Whatcom county. That ranch was later exchanged for Bellingham property, which he subsequently traded for a farm near Laurel, in Whatcom county, Washington. He was the owner of that property until 1917, when he bartered the place for forty acres of land in the vicinity of Ferndale, in Mountain View township, where he has since made his home. He produces hay and grain, and his intelligently directed labor is rewarded by abundant harvests. He has three pure bred dairy cows and is engaged in poultry raising on a large scale, having a flock of five hundred chickens. He has good buildings on the property, in which he takes justifiable pride, and his standards of farming are high.
On July 21, 1909, Mr. Coffelt married Miss Nina Gawley, a native of Ontario, Canada, and a daughter of William and Julia Gawley, pioneer settlers of Lopez island, on which the father is still engaged in farming. The mother passed away in 1916. Mr. and Mrs. Coffelt have four children: Ethel, Laura, Pearl and Floyd. Mr. Coffelt was elected township supervisor in January, 1925, and is now acting as chairman of the board, bringing to the discharge of his public duties the deep thought and sound judgment which he manifests in the conduct of his private affairs. He is a member of the local Grange, the Warehouse Association, the Cooperative Egg & Poultry Association and the Whatcom County Dairy Association. Along fraternal lines he is affiliated with the Modern Woodmen of America, the Knights of the Maccabees and the United Artisans. He has many sincere friends in the township and his life record illustrates the power of diligence and honesty in the attainment of prosperity.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 539-540
Collett, Ella M. (Owens)
Mrs. Ella M. Collett, owner and manager of the Collett apartments, 629 High street, Bellingham, and for twenty-five years a resident of this city, is a native of the old Empire state, born in Ithaca, in Tompkins county, New York, and is a daughter of Spencer and Lavina (Peters) Owens, also natives of New York and members of old families there, the former born in the village of Gilboa, Schoharie county, and the latter in Deposit, Broome county. Spencer Owens was a tanner and his vocation took him at one time and another into various towns, so that his daughter Ella's schooling was gained at Ithaca, Olean and Rome, New York, and also in Massachusetts. Her later studies were given over to special work as an art student.
On June 18, 1890, at Taberg, New York, Ella M. Owens was united in marriage to Henry Harris Collett, who was engaged in the manufacture of excelsior in the village of Deposit and who died there, January 15, 1900, leaving his widow and a son, Spencer William Collett, now a master mariner and captain of one of the cannery boats plying Alaskan waters. Captain Collett married Grace Cody and has a daughter, Grace Margaret.
Henry Harris Collett was a native of India, born in the city of Calcutta during the residence there of his parents, William Henry and Rosamond (Harris) Collett, the former of whom was an officer in the British army, then stationed in India, and the latter a daughter of Colonel Harris of the British army in India. When fourteen years of age Henry H. Collett was sent to London to finish his education and entered Epsom College. Later he began the study of medicine with a view to becoming a physician but presently abandoned that idea and in 1884 came to the United States. He engaged in the manufacture of excelsior at Deposit, New York, where he met and married Ella Owens and where he spent the remainder of his life.
Following the death of her husband Mrs. Collett remained in Deposit until in 1900, when she came to the Pacific coast and settled in Bellingham, her first place of residence here having been on North Elk street. Soon she built a house on Utter street and there remained for three years, at the end of which time she sold that place and erected another on Lynn street. Six years later she rented the latter place and built on Oak street, where she resided until in 1923, when under her direction her present apartment house, The Collett, was erected at 629 High street, where she has since lived, in personal charge of the admirably appointed establishment.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pg. 518
Collins, J. C. F.
J. C. F. Collins, veteran optometrist of Bellingham and widely known in his profession throughout this section of the northwest, has been a resident of Whatcom county for more than twenty years and is thus thoroughly familiar with conditions here. He was born in the city of Belvidere, Illinois, September 7, 1862, and is a son of James and Susan (Howe) Collins, natives of New York state. The former gave his life to his country while serving as a soldier of the Union during the Civil war, his death occurring in a military hospital in 1863. His widow survived him for forty-four years, her death occurring in Illinois in 1907.
Reared in Illinois, J. C. F. Collins had a high school and business college education and was variously employed until the early '90s, when he took up the study of optometry and became a competent and licensed optometrist. For six years he was engaged in the practice of this profession in Illinois and Michigan and then moved to Nebraska, locating at Central City, where he remained until 1903, in which year he came to Washington and opened an office in Bellingham. Not long afterward he changed his location to the village of Lynden but in 1908 returned to Bellingham and has since been engaged in practice here with a well equipped office at 1312 Cornwall street.
In 1892 at Chicago, Mr. Collins was united in marriage to Miss Olive L. Fausey, who was born in Ohio, daughter of L. W. Fausey, and they have three children, Grace, Marion and Robert. Mr. and Mrs. Collins are republicans and have ever given proper attention to local civic affairs as well as to the general social activities of their home town. Mr. Collins is a member of the locally influential Optimists Club and is also affiliated with the Knights of Pythias.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pg. 421
Patrick Collopy, one of the real "old timers" of this region, is a substantial farmer and landowner of Mountain View township, being the proprietor of a well improved place on rural mail route No. 2 out of Ferndale. He is supervisor of the Butler drainage district and was formerly justice of the peace in and for Mountain View township, and he is widely known throughout the county. Though a New Englander by birth, a native of the old Nutmeg state, he has been a resident of the coast country for more than forty years and is thus accounted one of the pioneers here, having arrived in Whatcom county in the early '80s of the past century.
Mr. Collopy was born on a farm in Litchfield county, Connecticut, January 27, 1856, and is a son of Timothy and Catherine (Kennedy) Collopy, both natives of Ireland. Timothy Collopy came to America in 1849 along with thousands of energetic young Irishmen who were seeking relief from the distressing conditions then existing in the island by reason of famine and onerous political exactions, and in the next year he sent for the girl to whom he had plighted his troth before leaving the old sod. They were married in Connecticut and settled down there until their departure for Illinois in 1866.
Patrick Collopy was ten years of age when he went with his parents to Illinois, and he grew up on a farm in Kane county, that state, finishing his schooling there. He remained at home until he attained his majority, and in 1877 he struck out for himself, his first trip being to San Francisco, in which city one of his uncles had located. At that time he was not particularly impressed with conditions on the coast and after a year he returned east and became employed on railway construction work in Wisconsin, a line which, with occasional periods of farming, he followed for some years thereafter, working in Iowa, Missouri, Kansas, Indian Territory, eastern Texas, Arkansas, Montana and the Dakotas until 1883, when he returned to the coast, Seattle being his objective. In that same year he made his initial trip to Whatcom and also investigated conditions at Mount Vernon, returning to Seattle before the end of the year. From that place he presently started out on foot for British Columbia and for a time, working out of Vancouver and New Westminster, was engaged in construction work on the Canadian Pacific railroad. Not being greatly impressed with conditions there he presently went back over the line, his objective being the Ferndale settlement on the Nooksack, where he arrived with but twenty-five cents remaining of such wages as he had earned. This he spent for breakfast and then went down to Sehome and secured work on the Carter building which then was under construction, a building which is still standing. Mr. Collopy went to work at a wage of a dollar and a half a day, but it was soon found that he was an experienced carpenter and mechanic, and before the week was over his wages had been advanced to two dollars and a half a day. That was in 1884. With the exception of the two years he spent at Dawson during the time of the Alaska gold excitement in the late '90s, he has ever since been identified with local activities.
In 1887 Mr. Collopy took up a timber claim in this county, which he presently sold to advantage. He also preempted a tract in the neighboring county of Skagit and then spent two years trying to sell it after he had proved up on it. Upon his return from Alaska in 1899 he bought another tract in Whatcom county. Some time later he bought a tract in the Roseburg neighborhood in Oregon and after a while disposed of it to advantage. Then, in 1910, he bought the "eighty" in Mountain View township, on which he since has been living, and there he and his family are comfortably situated. When Mr. Collopy bought that place a clearing of about three acres had been made, and all the other improvements have been made by himself. Dairying is the chief activity on this farm and Mr. Collopy has a well selected herd of dairy cattle. He is a member of the Whatcom County Dairy Association and conducts his operations in accordance with approved methods.
In 1890 at De Kalb, Illinois, Patrick Collopy was united in marriage to Miss Frances Pobstman, who was born in New York and who is that year had come to his county with her parents. To this union have been born six children, namely: Fred, who was killed by a falling tree when he was a small child; George, who was accidentally drowned in his youth; Edward, who married Carrie Janitscheck and has one child, Albert; Joseph, who married Irma Sansregret; Margaret, who is at home with her parents; and Mary, who is now a resident of Seattle.
Mr. Collopy is independent in politics and has ever given a good citizen's attention to local civil affairs, while his religious faith is that of the Roman Catholic church. For about twelve years he was a member of the Grange. From 1915-25 he served as justice of the peace in and for his home township and for four years has been rendering service as district drainage supervisor. By reason of his long residence in this county he is one of its well established citizens, and there are few who have a wider of better acquaintance here than has he.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 85-86
Colyer, A. B.
The self-made man invariably commands our highest respect, and the struggles by means of which he rose from comparative obscurity to honorable success cannot fail but enlist our sympathy and excite our admiration. On the roster of names of those who have been identified with the development and improvement of Whatcom county is that of A. B. Colyer, whose life here has been characterized by persistent and untiring industry, while his private life has been such as to earn the respect of all who know him. Mr. Colyer was born at Albion, Edwards county, Illinois, on the 7th of October, 1866, and is a son of George and Clara (Prichard) Colyer, both of whom were born and reared in that locality. The family has long been identified with that section of country, our subject's paternal grandfather having located there in 1798 and engaged in farming.
A. B. Colyer secured his educational training in a little one room country school near his father's farm, and he remained on the paternal farmstead until he was twenty-one years of age. In 1887 he came to Klickitat county, Washington, and homesteaded what he was led to believe was government land but which he later discovered belonged to the Northern Pacific railroad. He finally bought the land from the railroad company but subsequently found that the location was subject to constant high winds and disposed of the place. He then came to Lynden, Whatcom county, and was employed at various occupations for about a year, in the meantime carefully inspecting the country. In 1891, in partnership with his brother, he bought eighty acres of land comprising his present farm, and at once began clearing the tract, which was covered with timber and brush. The only improvement on the place was a small log cabin, which provided him with temporary shelter, while the only highway in the vicinity was a trail which passed close by. For thirteen years after coming here Mr. Colyer was employed during the spring months in shearing sheep in the mountains. He also worked at other tasks during the winters, devoting the summers to clearing and improving his land. Eventually he cleared the entire tract and sold part of it, being now the owner of forty-five acres. He gives his attention principally to dairy farming, keeping sixteen good grade cows, and his fields are devoted to the raising of hay and grain. He has made many splendid improvements on the farm, which he has developed into a very desirable ranch.
In 1905 Mr. Colyer was married to Miss Ina B. Taylor, a native of Savanna, Illinois, who came to Whatcom county in 1898. Her parents, Frank R. and Lottie I. (Brooks) Taylor, are both deceased, her father dying in 1896 and her mother in 1906. Mr. and Mrs. Colyer are the parents of two children, Everett P. and Lloyd F., the latter of whom is in high school, while the former is assisting in the operation of the home farm. Mr. Colyer has taken an active interest in the public affairs of his community, having served for three years as supervisor when the township was first organized, and he also served on the school board, of which he was clerk for many years. He has been a member of the Independent Order of Odd fellows and the Ancient Order of United Workmen, having become a charter member of the latter order before coming west. His actions have always been the result of careful and conscientious thought, and he has done his full duty in all the relations of life. He has stood earnestly for such measures as have been advanced for the betterment of the community, and he maintains a generous attitude toward all benevolent or charitable organizations. His sterling traits of character have commanded the uniform confidence and regard of his fellow citizens.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 153-154
Compton, John C.
Long a resident of Deming township, John C. Compton has aided materially in the development of its agricultural resources, and having reached the seventy-seventh milestone on life's journey, his is living retired, enjoying the peace and contentment that come from results achieved and tasks well done. He was born October 4, 1848, in Jersey county, Illinois, and his parents, Clayton and Lucinda (Knee) Compton, were among the early settlers of that state. The father was a native of New Jersey and the mother's birth occurred in Ohio.
John C. Compton spent his boyhood on the homestead, and his educational advantages were very meager, as his youth was a period of hard and unremitting toil. For about seventeen years he was employed as a farm laborer in the middle west and in the fall of 1873 went to California. He spent a few years in the Golden state and then returned to Illinois, purchasing a farm, which he cultivated for some time. After selling the place he went to Arizona, following the occupation of mining, and later journeyed to San Francisco, California. There he took a boat bound for Seattle and arrived in that city in 1889. In the fall of the same year he came to Whatcom county and preempted government land near the present site of Deming. He operated the ranch for many years and brought the land to a high state of development, from time to time adding needed improvements to the property. During this period he also acquired valuable timber land, which he subsequently sold to advantage. In 1895 Mr. Compton purchased his present home of two acres adjacent to Deming and planted his orchard. He has built a good home, and his income enables his to enjoy all of the comforts and many of the luxuries of life.
In 1886 Mr. Compton married Miss Sophia Caroff, a native of Illinois, and Daniel Augustus, their only child, is at home. He went to France with the American Expeditionary Force and spent sixteen months abroad, serving with the Twentieth Engineers. Mr. Compton is identified with the Masonic order and his political views are in accord with the platform and principles of the democratic party. He has never been neglectful of the duties of citizenship and during the early days was a member of the school board. He has played well his part, conscientiously discharging every responsibility of life, and receives the respect which is ever accorded honorable old age. With a correct understanding of life's values and purposes, Mr. Compton has wisely conserved his powers, being well preserved in both mind and body, and vividly recalls his experiences as a western pioneer.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 633-634
Endowed by nature with a splendid physique, and possessing the equally necessary quality of mental alertness, John Connell achieved international fame as a wrestler. He has sought fortune in the mines of Alaska and is now operating in real estate, making his home in Bellingham. He has had an interesting and picturesque career, visiting many parts of the world, and he regards this city as an ideal place of residence. A native of Iowa, he was born March 20, 1874, and his parents, John and Tena Connell are both deceased. He received a public school education and in 1898 joined the rush of gold seekers to Alaska, where he spent two years. He then became a professional boxer and wrestler and in 1910 participated in a boxing match in Mexico, winning the national middleweight championship of that county at the end of fifteen rounds. His skill in these sports was exhibited in various sections of the globe, and in 1910 at Payret Theater in Havana, Cuba, he was the winner of the international jiu jitsu contest but lost the title six months later. He has thrice visited Alaska and located some valuable mines in that country.
In 1916 Mr. Connell came to Bellingham and for several years was engaged in the potato business. He opened a real estate office in 1922 in partnership with Raymond A. Nienaber and G. W. Mullen, under the firm name of Connell, Nienaber & Mullen, and in the intervening period a number of important deals have been consummated through his instrumentality. On January 26, the firm became Connell & Nienaber. He has studied the question from the standpoint of the purchaser as well as of the man who handles property, and he is doing much to improve the city.
On July 9th, 1912, Mr. Connell married Miss Irene Robinson, of Nebraska, and they have three children: Evelyn, Roy and James, all of whom are at home. Mr. Connell belongs to the local Real Estate Association. He is a man of high principles, capable and progressive in business, and is a citizen of worth to the community.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pg. 249
Cook, I. J.
I. J. Cook, the popular and efficient postmaster of Deming, has been identified with business interests of the community for more than twenty years and is largely responsible for its progress along educational lines. He was born December 8, 1872, and is a native of Des Moines, Iowa. His parents were John King and Rosetta (Phillips) Cook, the former a native of Indiana and the latter of Pennsylvania. They settled in Iowa in 1866 and later moved to Kansas. The father entered a homestead in Lyon county and subsequently migrated to Oklahoma, spending the remainder of his life in that state, in which the mother's demise also occurred.
I. J. Cook attended the public schools of Kansas and obtained his start in business life by clerking in stores. He came to Whatcom county in 1905 and opened a general store in Deming in partnership with H. B. Orr. Later he withdrew from the firm and became associated with D. A. Griffin & Company, general merchants. He disposed of his stock in the concern in 1921 and is now selling fire insurance. He is well informed on matters pertaining thereto and has established a profitable business, manifesting executive ability and good judgment in its management.
In 1904 Mr. Cook married Miss Jennie Holton, a native of Illinois and a daughter of Chandler Holton. The children of this union are: Mildred, now the wife of Norman Macaulay, of Deming; and John, who is attending the public schools. Mr. Cook is a stanch adherent of the republican party and since 1912 has been postmaster of Deming, discharging his duties in a highly creditable manner. He is an ardent advocate of the cause of education and for sixteen years was a member of the local school board. It was owing to his indefatigable efforts that Deming secured the new union high school, which was recently completed and represents an expenditure of one hundred and twenty-five thousand dollars. Mr. Cook is identified with the Knights of Pythias and also belongs to Bellingham Lodge, No. 194, of the Benevolent Protective Order of Elks. He has ever been actuated by an unselfish spirit of devotion to the general good and his influence up the life of his community has been of the highest order.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 531-532
Corcoran, William T.
Among the best and most favorably known families of Lummi island is that of Corcoran, a creditable representative of which William T. Corcoran, who was born in the state of Illinois in 1861 and is a son of John and Marcia (Stapleton) Corcoran, the former of whom was a native of Ireland and a farmer by vocation, while the latter was a native of Illinois and a member of an old pioneer family of that state. William T. Corcoran received his education in the public schools of Illinois and Kansas, the family moving to the latter state when he was eight years old. He remained on his father's farm there until the age of twenty-two years, when he went to Iowa. He was engaged in farming there for about two years, when he returned to Kansas and for four years farmed in that state. He then went to Nebraska, and taking up a preemption claim operated it for three or four years, at the end of which time he went to southeastern Kansas and was employed in the coal mines for about three years. He then returned to his home neighborhood in Kansas, where he was employed in construction work on the Rock Island railroad, remaining there until 1898, when he came to Whatcom county, staying at Fairhaven for a few months and then coming to Lummi island.
For several years Mr. Corcoran was engaged in fishing and in the woods, and in 1902 he bought the land on which he now lives, and which at that time was covered with logs, stumps and brush. He applied himself to the task of clearing the tract and getting it into cultivation and now has about twenty acres cleared. He carries on general farming, raising all the crops common to this locality, and also keeps cows, sheep and hogs, while he has likewise been successfully engaged in the chicken business, keeping a nice run of laying hens. He has always taken an active part in local public affairs, having been a member of the first township board of supervisors, and serving two term in that position. He has also served several terms on the school board, and during the early years here he did a good deal of free work on the roads.
In 1890 Mr. Corcoran was married to Elizabeth Chappell, who was born in England, a daughter of J. G. and Maria (Denton) Chappell, who brought their family to the United States when the daughter was about five years old. To Mr. and Mrs. Corcoran were born eleven children, namely: Alfa, who is the wife of Frank Leelye, of Lummi island, and the mother of six children; Mrs. Lora Sturn, of Lynden, who is the mother of three children; William A., who lives on the home farm, is married and has one child; Hattie, who is the wife of Moses Tuttle, of Lummi island, and the mother of four children; John D. Jr., the next of the family; Annie, who is the wife of George Brown, of Bellingham, and has one child; Margaret, who is the wife of L. Epler, of Portland, Oregon, and has one child; Dennis, who died at the age of two years; and Cliff, Helen and Catherine, who are at home. Mr. Corcoran is a member of the Whatcom County Poultry Association and of the Grange. He has a wide reputation as a reliable and trustworthy man. Genial, friendly and accommodating he enjoys a wide acquaintance and has a host of warm and loyal friends, who hold him in high esteem.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 732-733
Councilman, J. H.
Improvement and progress may well be said to form the keynote of the character of J. H. Councilman, well known farmer and one Whatcom county's representative citizens. He has not only been interested in the advancement of his individual affairs but his influence has been felt in the upbuilding of the locality. The prosperity which he enjoys is the result of energy rightly applied and has been won by commendable qualities. Mr. Councilman is a native of the state of Illinois, where he was born on the 25th of July, 1856, and is a son of William H. and Rachel (Conrad) Councilman, both natives of the state of New York. In 1863 the family went to Minnesota, where the father bought one hundred and sixty acres of land and devoted himself to farming operations. It was necessary for him to haul his wheat by ox-team sixty miles to the Mississippi river, but he persevered, created a good homestead, and there spent his remaining years, dying at Plainview, Minnesota, in 1874. He was survived many years by his widow, whose death occurred in 1921. They were the parents of seven children, four of whom are still living, namely: J. H., the subject of this sketch; Walter, deceased; Mildred; Frank, deceased; Harriet, deceased; William H. and Susie R.
J. H. Councilman received the major portion of his education in the district school near his Minnesota home and his boyhood days were devoted to work on the farm. On the death of his father, when he was eighteen years of age, he took charge of the home place and ran it until 1906. In that year he went to Alberta, Canada, and took up one hundred and sixty acres of land, acquiring also another tract of similar size, to the cultivation of which he closely devoted himself for five years. He then came to Ferndale, Whatcom county, and bought ten acres of land near Ferndale, on which he now lives and where he is very comfortably situated. He keeps chickens and cows and has a fine cherry and apple orchard, from which he derives a nice income, and also receives the income from the one hundred and sixty acres of wheat land which he owns in Alberta. His home is very attractively situated on the new concrete highway and is a very comfortable and conveniently arranged place, which he keeps well improved in every respect.
In 1881 Mr. Councilman was married to Miss Lilla Stewart, a native of New York state and a daughter of Charles and Ann (Martin) Stewart, both of whom are natives of that state. Mr. and Mrs. Councilman have three children, namely: Charles H., who was born in Minnesota, is married and lives in Bellingham, this county; Claud S., who also is married; and Alice Ruth, who lives at home and is employed in a bank in Bellingham. These children were all provided with good educations and are well and favorably known throughout this locality. Mr. Councilman is a member of Bellingham Camp, M. W. A., and is also a member of the Grange. In a straightforward, conservative manner, Mr. Councilman has always performed the duties of citizenship, his support being depended upon in the furtherance of any laudable movement having for its object the betterment of the public welfare. He enjoys a wide acquaintance among the best citizens of this locality, many of whom are included in the circle of his warm friends, who esteem him for his genuine worth as a man and citizen.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pg. 494
Courtney, J. R.
Perseverance and sterling worth are always sure of recognition in any community, and J. R. Courtney, who is widely known as one of the enterprising and successful dairy farmers of Whatcom county, affords a fine example of the self-made man, who has not only achieved success in his material affairs but has also proven himself eminently entitled to the confidence and regard of his fellowmen. Mr. Courtney is a native of Arkansas, born in 1867, and is a son of J. H. and Sarah J. (McKamey) Courtney, both of whom were natives of Tennessee. The father, who was a farmer, died when the subject was six years of age, and the mother died in Arkansas in 1899.
J. R. Courtney received his education in the public schools of his home neighborhood, his attendance being confined to three months in summer each year. However, he has liberally supplemented this by lifelong habits of close reading and careful observation of men and events, so that he is today a well informed man on a wide range of subjects. He remained on his mother's farm until he was thirty-three years of age, being engaged in the raising of cotton, grain and live stock. In 1891 he had come to Washington for the benefit of his health, remaining here twenty-one months, and had formed a favorable opinion of the possibilities of this section of the county. In 1901 he again came here, this time with the determination to establish his permanent home. He first stopped at Ten Mile, where he remained about fourteen months, and then, having looked the country over, he bought the one hundred acres of land which comprise his present farm. At that time the tract was covered with standing and fallen timber and much undergrowth, but Mr. Courtney was not deterred by the prospect. He worked on steadily, year after year, along with his other farm work, and now has ninety-five acres cleared and in cultivation or pasture. He is giving his attention largely to dairy farming, keeping eighteen high grade Guernsey cows, in the handling of which he has been very successful. He raises hay, as well as oats and grain to fill his silo. In 1918 he built a fine, modern house, which adds greatly to the value and attractiveness of the farm.
In 1892 Mr. Courtney was married
to Miss Cora Deane, who was born in Arkansas and who died October
17 5, 1917. She was a daughter
of G. P. and Tennie Ethel (Phillips) Deane, both of whom were natives of Arkansas and now live in Bellingham, Whatcom
county. To Mr. and Mrs. Courtney were born six children, namely: Marvin O., who is married; Uella, who remains
at home and is keeping house for her father; Mrs. Ida Hanchey, of Seattle, who is the mother of three sons; Ethel,
the wife of Arthur Wefor, of Lynden, and the mother of two children; Wright, who lives in California; and Clay,
who is at home and is a student in high school. Mr. Courtney is a member of the Whatcom County Dairymen's Association
and is interested in everything that affects the welfare of the farming and dairying interests of the county. He
has achieved splendid success in his special line of effort, setting an example for determined and untiring labor,
and is now realizing the reward for his patience and perseverance. Personally he is genial and companionable, friendly
with all classes, and among those who know him he is held in high regard because of his worth and attainments.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 234-235
It is a compliment worthily bestowed to say that Whatcom county is honored by the citizenship of John Coxson, well known farmer of Ten Mile township, for he has achieved definite success through his own efforts and is thoroughly deserving of the proud American title of self-made man. His has been an eminently active and useful life, during which he has not allowed material affairs entirely to absorb his attention, for he has earnestly supported all measures for the betterment of his community and has set an example in right living. Mr. Coxson is a New England Yankee by birth, born in the state of Maine in 1840, and is a son of John and Katherine (Knox) Coxson, the former of whom was a carpenter by trade. The mother was born on the shore of the bay of Fundy, at the mouth of the St. John river, a daughter of a ship builder, and her death occurred when our subject was very young. The latter was denied the privilege of a scholastic education, there having been no schools in his neighborhood, but throughout his life he has absorbed information from every possible source and is now a well informed man upon a wide range of subjects.
At the age of ten years Mr. Coxson went to sea as a sailor boy on one of the old-time sailing vessels, and so faithful was he in the performance of duty that three years later he became an ordinary seaman and eventually an able seaman. He served in the United States navy throughout the civil war, being on the Lancaster, an "admiral ship." Later he made voyages to practically every part of the world, sailing for about fifteen years, and then went to the Argentine republic, where he worked ashore for about four years. At that time Buenos Aires, now a city of over a million population, was a town of about three thousand people. He also spent some time loading cotton on the Rio Grande river, North, in South American, which empties into the Amazon river. Mr. Coxson next went to India, where he remained about six months, and was then on the Falkland islands and other places. Returning to the United States, he located in Michigan, where he engaged in farming and also became identified with the lumbering interests, working for a company engaged in the loading of boats. He homesteaded one hundred and sixty acres of land near the "Soo," but in August, 1888, he decided to go to the western coast.
Selling all his interests in Michigan, Mr. Coxson came west, landing at Samish, where he went to work in the Blanchard logging camp in October of that year. In the spring of 1889 he went to Bellingham and then established a boarding house at Chuckanut for C. I. Roth, which he ran for eight months. His next move was to Lummi island, where he bought thirty-five acres of land, of which only four or five acres were cleared. He cleared practically all of this tract and devoted himself to its cultivation for twenty-three years. He sold five acres of the land on the Point to the Carlisle Packing Company, who established there the second cannery in Whatcom county. Mr. Coxson then sold the place and bought the old Tilburn farm, near Geiser [Weiser?] lake, where he remained about three years, building a good house there. He then traded that place for property in Bellingham, where he lived for about a year, at the end of which time he traded the Bellingham place for his present farm, comprising forty acres of good land in Ten Mile township, about ten acres of which were cleared. He has cleared about ten acres more and now has a well improved and highly cultivated farm. He given his main attention to dairy farming, keeping a number of good grade cows, and raises all the hay and grain required for their feed. He is doing well and has a very comfortable home, surrounded by up-to-date conveniences and all the equipment necessary for the proper conduct of his business.
In 1884, in Michigan, Mr. Coxson was married to Miss Martha A. Bowman, a native of Ontario, Canada, and a daughter of Jacob and Mary (Hamilton) Bowman, the former a native of Pennsylvania and the latter of Canada. Mr. Coxson has done his part in the improvement and development of the country, and a number of years ago he performed good service as road supervisor. He is a lover of nature and wild animals, and while living on Lummi island he fed six deer through one entire winter, while during all the years of his residence here he has never shot a deer or pheasant, but has fed hundreds of them. Kindly and generous, he is noted for his hospitality, and in his social relations is friendly and genial, making all feel at home who enter his door. His many find personal traits have gained for him the unbounded confidence and esteem of all who know him, for all recognize him as a man of more than ordinary strength of character.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 904-905
Cozier, Carl; M.D.C.
Dr. Carl Cozier, dean of veterinary surgeons in Whatcom county, a practitioner in Bellingham since 1905 and the only graduate veterinarian of more than twenty years standing in the county, was born on a farm in Linn county, Oregon, August 12, 1874, and is a son of John C. and Alice (Gray) Cozier, the latter of whom also was born at Pilot Rock, that state, a daughter of Caleb Gray, who came in over the old Oregon trail in 1852 and settled in what now is Linn county in the days before the government survey had been made there. John C. Cozier went to Oregon from Iowa in the late '60s and after his marriage established his home in Linn county but presently disposed of his holdings there and came to Washington, locating in 1877 in Whitman county, where he remained until his retirement in 1904, when he removed to Bellingham, where he and his wife spent the remainder of their lives, his death occurring in 1911 and hers in 1913.
Reared on the home farm in Whitman county, this state, to which place his parents had moved when he was but three years of age, Carl Cozier was there educated and grew up familiar with farm operations. He early became interested in the treatment of the ailments of domestic animals. In 1898 he entered the Washington State College, taking courses in agriculture, horticulture and veterinary medicine. In good time he decided to adopt veterinary surgery as a profession and in furtherance of this end entered the Chicago Veterinary College and in the spring of 1905 was graduated from that institution. In that year he began practice at Bellingham where he has since been located, covering more than twenty years, making him the oldest member of his profession in continuous practice here. In the fall following his location in Bellingham Dr. Cozier erected his veterinary hospital at 311 Lottie street and as growing demands required has extended that institution until it long has been recognized as one of the best equipped and most completely appointed veterinary hospitals in the state. Dr. Cozier is widely known in his profession throughout the state and for almost fourteen years served as secretary and treasurer of the Washington State Veterinary Medical Association. He made the first technical test for tubercular cattle in Whatcom county, has for years been recognized as an authority along that line and is now rendering efficient public service as city milk inspector for Bellingham.
In 1904, in Whitman county, Dr. Cozier was united in marriage to Miss Emily H. Goldsworthy and they have three children, Lois, Elizabeth and Philip. Mrs. Cozier was born in California but has been a resident of Washington since the days of her childhood, her father, John H. Goldsworthy, having moved from California to Whitman county with his family when she was a young girl. Dr. and Mrs. Cozier are members of the United Presbyterian church. They have a pleasant home in Bellingham and have ever given their interested and helpful attention to the good works of the community, as well as to its general social affairs, and have done well their part in promoting such movements as have been designed to advance the common welfare.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 797-798