Among the men of foreign nationality to whom Lawrence township is largely indebted for its development is numbered Peter Dahlgren, a native of Sweden and a splendid type of the race. He was born October 2, 1855, and in 1902 yielded to the lure of the new world. After his arrival in the United States he at once started for Whatcom county and purchased forty-five acres of land in Nooksack township. Subsequently he sold the property and bought an eighty acre tract in Lawrence township, where he has since resided. He has cleared most of the place, on which he has built a good home and a fine dairy, and his cattle are all of high grade. His well tilled fields yield good harvests and his methods of farming are both practical and progressive.
In 1885 Mr. Dahlgren married Miss Elizabeth Olson, also a native of Sweden, and five children were born to them, namely: Ole, who is living in Idaho; Elizabeth, the wife of E. A. Mobery, who operates a ranch near the Dahlgren homestead; Gus, who is engaged in farming in this locality; Hilda, who was married to Jack Wisher and is now a resident of Hamilton, Washington; and Joseph, at home. Mr. Dahlgren belongs to the Whatcom County Dairymen's Association and has been a member of the organization throughout the period of its existence. He owes allegiance to no party and maintains a liberal attitude in political matters, giving his support to the candidate whom he deems best fitted for office. He is deeply attached to the land of his adoption and his success is doubly creditable in that it is due to his force of character and unaided exertions.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pg. 524
Dahlquist, Carl S.
The store of Carl S. Dahlquist, who has been successfully engaged in business as a grocery merchant of Bellingham during the past twenty-three years, was the first of its kind in his neighborhood. A native of Sweden, he was born on the 25th of November, 1879, his parents being Nels and Bertha Dahlquist. The father is still living, being now a retired citizen of Whatcom county, Washington, but the mother has passed away.
Carl S. Dahlquist acquired a public school education in his native country and was a youth of thirteen years when in the fall of 1892 he arrived at Bellingham, Washington. Here he clerked for four years in a grocery store conducted by an uncle and next was engaged in the livery business on his own account for two years, while subsequently he made his way to Alaska. It was in 1903 that he embarked in the grocery business at Bellingham, opening a store at No. 507 Potter street. Twelve years later, in 1915, he erected a store building at the corner of Potter and Humboldt streets, where he has since carried on his business, and he has been accorded a patronage of extensive and gratifying proportions. He carries a general line of staple and fancy groceries and enjoys an enviable reputation as a straightforward and reliable merchant who does everything in his power to please his customers.
In 1907 Mr. Dahlquist was united in marriage to Miss Wendela Larson, a native of Sweden, who arrived in Bellingham, Washington, as a girl and here made her home with an uncle, A. J. Wickman, until she entered matrimony. By her marriage she has become the mother of two daughters, Evelyn and Dolores. In exercising his right of franchise Mr. Dahlquist supports the men and measures of the republican party. He has membership in the Chamber of Commerce, the Benevolent Protective Order of Elks and the Scandinavian Fraternity of America and has become widely and favorably known throughout the community in which he makes his home.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 517-518
Dahlquist, Thomas S.
Thomas S. Dahlquist, a resident of Bellingham for nearly four decades, was successfully engaged in the grocery business until his retirement in 1912, since which time he has devoted his attention to the supervision of his invested interests. He was born in Skaana, Sweden, on the 3d of September, 1860, and he had attained the age of twenty-two when in 1882 he crossed the Atlantic to the United States and made his way to Chicago, Illinois, where he spent three months in visiting a brother. He then journeyed westward to Huron, South Dakota, where he took up a homestead claim and remained for six years.
On the expiration of that period, in the spring of 1889, Mr. Dahlquist came to Washington, going first to Tacoma, where he spent three months as a city employe, after which he took up his permanent abode at Bellingham. In that same year he embarked in the grocery business in association with C. H. Holmberg, and in May, 1890, he formed the partnership of Dahlquist, Halberg & Company, taking in as partners T. Thoraldson and Peter Halberg. The concern was subsequently incorporated as the B. B. Grocery Company, and Mr. Dahlquist continued active in its conduct until 1912, when he retired from the grocery trade, disposing of his interests to Byron Brothers. Through the intervening period of fourteen years he has given his attention to his various property interests, including valuable farm land. At one time he was engaged in the milling business, operating the old Geneva mill, which he later sold. His well directed efforts have been attended with gratifying success, and he has long been numbered among Bellingham's prosperous and representative citizens.
On the 15th of March, 1891, Mr. Dahlquist was united in marriage to Amelia Wangstad, who was born, reared and educated in Norway. She left her native land to visit an aunt in Minnesota and thence embarked on a western excursion trip in company with a number of young people, most of whom settled in Washington. Here she formed the acquaintance of Mr. Dahlquist, to whom she subsequently gave her hand in marriage. She assisted her husband in the conduct of his grocery establishment and has ever proved a loyal helpmate as well as a true companion to him.
Mr. and Mrs. Dahlquist give their political support to the republican party. The former has made a commendable record as a councilman of Bellingham, representing the sixth ward for one term, and the latter has also been active in public service. Mrs. Dahlquist has been particularly helpful in Red Cross work, serving as chairman of the first membership drive in Bellingham and acting as chairman of the production committee at the present time. Fraternally Mr. Dahlquist is affiliated with the Benevolent Protective Order of Elks, the Woodmen of the World and the Knights of the Maccabees, and Mrs. Dahlquist is a member of the Bellingham Music Club, the Civic Club and the Scandinavian Fraternity. Both are widely and favorably known throughout the city. Immigrating to the United States in early manhood, Mr. Dahlquist here found the opportunities which he sought and utilized them to such advantage that he is now enabled to spend his days in well earned ease.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pg. 77
Dakin, Herbert J.
Herbert J. Dakin, of Mountain View township, a substantial landowner and poultryman residing on rural mail route No. 2 out of Ferndale, former assessor of his home township and one of the best known men in that part of the country, has been a resident here for almost forty years and has thus been a witness to the growth and development of this region, for when he came here the greater part of the county was still in its primeval state. Mr. Dakin is a native son of the old Green Mountain state, born in Addison county, Vermont, February 11, 1855, and is a son of John V. and Sarah (Lattin) Dakin, the latter a native of Canada. J. V. Dakin, a well-to-do farmer in his home neighborhood, was a member of one of the old families of Vermont, the Dakins having been represented there since colonial days.
Reared on the home farm in Vermont, H. J. Dakin made a brief sojourn in Virginia and in 1876, the year in which he attained his majority, went to Ohio, where for two years he engaged in farming. His next move was into Iowa, where he remained for four years, at the end of which time he became operator of a grain elevator at Maple, Minnesota, buying wheat throughout that district for the great warehouse concerns in Minneapolis, and was thus engaged until 1888 when, attracted by the possibilities then becoming apparent for settlers in this section of the country, he came to Washington and bought the place on which he is now living in the Mountain View settlement, where he since has made his home, being one of the early settlers and old established citizens of that district. The forty on which Mr. Dakin settled in 1888 was then a wilderness but he cleared and cultivated and made a good piece of property out of it. Some time ago he sold twenty acres of his tract and his operations now are confined to twenty acres, he there giving his chief attention to the raising of poultry. He has a fine flock of six hundred or more White Leghorns and is doing well in his operations. He is a member of the Washington Cooperative Egg and Poultry Association and has long been recognized as one of the leaders in his line in that section of the county.
In 1880, in Iowa, Mr. Dakin was united in marriage to Miss Amy Morgan, who was born in that state, a daughter of Harley and Ruth (Duprey) Morgan, the latter born in Ohio in 1828. Mr. Morgan was born in Vermont in 1817, became one of the pioneers of Iowa and he was a member of the Masonic order. Mr. and Mrs. Dakin became parents of six children, namely: Elsie Ruth, who married Dr. Bailey of Ferndale and has nine children; Edna Margaret, who married J. E. Hayes of Seattle and has three children; Warren Herbert Dakin, who died in 1910 at the age of twenty-five years; Walter John who married Della Radcliff of Blaine and now lives in Ferndale; Harold Morgan, a lawyer, now engaged in practice at Watertown, Wisconsin, who married Mamie Christianson of Minnesota and has two children; and Bernice Helen, who married D. A. Quance of Portland, Oregon, and has two children. Mr. Dakin is a member of the Masonic fraternity. He has ever given his earnest personal attention to local civic affairs, was for some time deputy assessor of Whatcom county and has also served as assessor of Mountain View township.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 859-860
Danielson, Andrew; Hon.
For nearly a quarter of a century the Hon. Andrew Danielson has resided within the borders of Whatcom county, advancing steadily through hard work and the wise utilization of his opportunities. He is now a leader of real estate activity in Blaine and is also numbered among the able members of the state legislature, serving for a second term. A native of Iceland, he was born December 22, 1879, and his parents, Daniel Andrjesson and Hlif Jonsdottir, are both deceased. His father was a man of varied talents, acquiring skill in the trades of blacksmithing, shoemaking, carpentering and saddlemaking, and also followed the occupation of farming.
When a child of nine Mr. Danielson left his native land, and he was reared in the home of an uncle, who resided in Manitoba, Canada. He attended the public schools of the province and in 1902, when a young man of twenty-three, came to Blaine, Washington. He was a clerk in the Wolten mercantile establishment for four years, then bought a stock of groceries and hardware in partnership with O. O. Runolfson, and in 1915 opened a real estate office in Blaine. He has built and sold many houses, doing much to improve the town, and also writes insurance. He is a sagacious, farsighted business man, with a thorough understanding of the lines in which he specializes, and success has attended his well directed efforts.
On August 22, 1905, Mr. Danielson married Miss Bertha Ingo, also a native of Iceland, and they have two children: G. S. Svafa, a senior in high school; and Daniel I., also a student. Mr. Danielson is identified with the Knights of Pythias, the Independent Order of Foresters and the Masons, while his political allegiance is given to the republican party. He was a member of the town council for two and a half terms and has been justice of the peace for two terms. He was called to the Washington assembly in 1922 and his record won him reelection in 1924, when his majority was doubled by his constituents. He has served on the committee of municipal corporations other than first class and also on the appropriations, mines and mining, and dairy and live-stock committees. He votes on every question and is regarded as one of the most conscientious and progressive members of the house. Mr. Danielson entered upon his legislative duties with high ideals, from which he has never deviated, and his attitude toward every measure is determined by its effect on the public welfare. He has correctly solved life's problems and difficulties, discharging every duty and obligation to the best of his ability, and his personal qualities are such as make for popularity.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 300-301
Clarence Danielson is one of the citizens of Whatcom county who have built up highly creditable reputations and have distinguished themselves by right and honorable living. A well known farmer of Ferndale township, he is of the large band of foreign-born citizens who have done such a commendable work in the upbuilding of whatcom county. HIs prominence in the community in conceded and his deeds speak for themselves, for he has believed in helping others at the same time that he has labored for his own advancement. Clarence Danielson was born in Wahe, Sweden, June 26, 1871, and is a son of Daniel and Annie Swanson, both of whom were natives of and spent their entire lives in Sweden, the father dying in 1907 and the mother passing away in 1913. They were the parents of five children, Emma, August, Axel, Clarence and Christine.
Clarence Danielson attended the schools of his native land and completed his studies in the public schools at Moorehead, Minnesota. He came to the United States in 1892, and settled near Devil's Lake, North Dakota, where he was employed on large wheat farms, but he soon took up a homestead of one hundred and sixty acres, to the improvement and cultivation of which he devoted his energies until his marriage, in 1914, after which they moved onto Mrs. Danielson's ranch, where he carried on farming operations until November 9, 1918, when they came to Whatcom county and bought twenty acres of land in Ferndale township. Mr. Danielson has the land partly cleared and is raising hay, while he also keeps five cows and about four hundred chickens, from which they derive a very comfortable income. His old homestead farm in North Dakota he sold about eight years ago, but they still have Mrs. Danielson's farm of one hundred and sixty acres. Their present home is a very well improved and attractive place and they are comfortably situated in every respect.
Mr. Danielson was married February 22, 1914, to Miss Elsie Andreas, who was born in Sweden, the daughter of Peter and Kate Andreas, both of whom died in their native land. Mrs. Danielson is a lady of kindly manner and gracious qualities and has been a worthy helpmate to her husband, they working hand in hand towards the goal of success which they have at last reached. Mr. Danielson has much of the characteristic thrift and energy of the Scandinavian race, of which he is a very creditable representative, and while he reveres his native land, as is natural and right, he has been loyal to his adopted country and conscientiously performs the duties of citizenship. Because of his fine record he has earned and retains the warm regards and the good will of all who know him.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pg. 616
Davenport, Noah C.
The most elaborate history is necessarily an abridgement, the historian being compelled to select his facts and materials from a multitude of details. So in every life of honor and usefulness the biographer finds no dearth of incident, and yet in summing up the career of any man it is necessary to touch upon the most salient points, giving only the keynote of his character and eliminating much that is superfluous. Consequently in recounting the life record of Noah C. Davenport no attempt shall be made to give all the important acts in his useful career, for it is deemed that only a few of them will show him to be eminently worthy of a place in this record along with his fellow citizens of high standing and recognized worth - men who have and are figuring prominently in the affairs of their respective communities.
Mr. Davenport was born in Washington county, Virginia, on the 21st of January, 1855, and is a son of Julius T. and Sally (Wassum) Davenport, also natives of the Old Dominion state, the father being of old Virginia stock, while the mother was a Pennsylvania-German descent. Julius T. Davenport was a pioneer minister of the Baptist church and was well known throughout his state. His wife also was active and prominent in church work and both were intensely interested in the promotion of the educational interests of Virginia. They were the parents of ten children as follows: Rev. Thomas J., who won the degrees of Bachelor of Arts and Master of Arts from Emory and Henry College and the Doctor of Philosophy degree from the Louisville (Kentucky) Theological Seminary, was prominent in the ministry of the Baptist church and traveled extensively in Africa and the Holy Land. He died in 1916. Julius T., who was a graduate from the same college and with the same degrees as his brother, taught for six years in the Troy (New York) Business College, three years in Packard's Business College, in New York city, and later was principal of the Millington (Tennessee) Academy. He also died in 1916. The other children were Joseph M., Noah C., Edward L., William H., Mrs. Mary Bailey, Mrs. Sarah V. Giesler, Jacob and Martha, deceased. The father died February 27, 1875, and was survived for five years by the mother, whose death occurred in November, 1882.
Noah C. Davenport attended the public schools and the Marion (Virginia) Academy for Young Men, winning a medal for oratory and the degree of Bachelor of Natural Science and English Literature. He was a teacher for fifteen years and is an ordained minister of the Baptist church. He was one of the original founders and trustees of Intermount College, a girl's school at Bristol, Virginia, founded in 1884. After teaching in the public schools of Virginia and Kentucky, he engaged in mercantile business at Lindell, Washington county, Virginia, for four years and in March, 1898, he came to Lincoln county, Washington, where he remained for seven years. He then located at Sherman, Washington, where he bought a wheat ranch of one hundred and sixty acres, to which he gave his attention for seven years, and during that period bought a newspaper, The Sentinel, which he ran for about four years with pronounced success, making of it one of the most progressive and alert country papers in the county. Its circulation increased one hundred per cent and its amount of advertising three hundred per cent. After bringing the paper to the point where it was a good business proposition, he sold it in 1905, and then came to Whatcom county and engaged in the hotel business at Bellingham. After one year in that line Mr. Davenport purchased thirty acres of land in Ferndale township, which was densely covered with brush and timber, and he applied himself vigorously to the task of clearing the land and putting it in cultivation. He succeeded in creating a splendid homestead, where he is still living and enjoying life as only the successful farmer can. He carries on general farming, raising grain, hay, corn and potatoes, and also keeps about twelve cows. He is a careful and painstaking agriculturist, doing thoroughly and well whatever he undertakes, and has won a high reputation among his fellow farmers as an enterprising and progressive man. He gives considerable attention to chickens and is a member of the Whatcom County Poultry Association. For six years he was president of the Laurel Creamery and was instrumental in effecting its sale to the Dairymen's Association. He is a member and press agent of the Pomona Grange and has been a consistent and ardent advocate of good roads; is also deeply interested in educational affairs and has served for three years as a member of the board of trustees of the Laurel high school. He is eminently public-spirited and gives his support to every measure calculated to advance the interests of the community along material, civic or moral lines. Politically Mr. Davenport has been a lifelong supporter of the democratic party and has taken an active part in local political affairs, having served as chairman of the county committee and also as president of the Woodrow Wilson Club of Bellingham. He was his party's candidate for the state legislature in 1924.
On May 15, 1879, Mr. Davenport was married to Miss Ida F. Hubble, a native of Smith county, Virginia, and a daughter of Robert H. and Freelove (Blessing) Hubble. Her father was a veteran of the Civil war and became a successful farmer and influential citizen, being especially prominent in educational work. Mrs. Davenport is one of a family of ten children: Dr. J. E. Hubble, a prominent physician and graduate of the University of Virginia; Rev. D. S. Hubble, an eminent minister of the Baptist church; William; Robert F.; Louis J.; Thomas C.; Mary Grace; Martha; and Virgie E. To Mr. and Mrs. Davenport have been born seven children, namely: Bernard M., who is married and has a daughter, Virginia Lou, is now principal of the Meridian high school and is living on a ranch of forty acres, where he has built a fine residence, of stucco finish. Ray L., who owns a sixty acre ranch, is married and has two children, Ida F. and Ray, Jr. Ernest H. died in October, 1899; Noah Cleveland married Ella Tarte, a daughter of Captain J. W. Tarte, and has four children, Howard, Margaret, Robert and James. He received the Bachelor of Arts degree from Washington University and is now teaching in the Franklin high school in Seattle, Washington. Laila A. is the wife of Oscar Naff, an extensive wheat grower in Lincoln county, Washington, and they have a son, Harold Donald. Thomas H. is unmarried and lives at home. John E. is married and has a son, Edwin D. Thomas H. and John E. volunteered for service in the World war, John serving in the navy and Thomas as a member of the Sixth Battalion of the Twentieth Engineering Corps. Though unassuming in manner, Mr. Davenport is a man of forceful individuality, has the courage of his convictions and holds an enviable place in the confidence and esteem of all who know him.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 620-623
Davis, Clay C.
Possessing that self-reliant nature which carries the individual beyond the ranks of mediocrity, Clay C. Davis has "made good," and his postgraduate work in the school of experience has well qualified him for the office of manager of the Whatcom County Dairymen's Association, in which connection he has established a notable record. A native of Missouri, he was born December 2, 1883, near De Kalb, in Buchanan county, of which his parents, John G. and Elizabeth Mahala Davis, are also natives, and the family is one of the oldest in the state. The father is a prosperous agriculturist and for forty-two years has owned and operated the farm on which he now resides. His father, Harrison Davis, was born in Virginia in 1801 and fought in the Texas rebellion of 1833. He settled in Missouri in 1830, and his demise occurred in 1878. The maternal grandfather, Jonathan Dittemore, was a native of Missouri and of Pennsylvania Dutch stock. He was a son of Adam Dittemore, who journeyed from the Keystone state to the middle west and established his home in Missouri early in the '30s.
Clay C. Davis attended the public schools and at the age of nineteen years entered the educational field, teaching for three terms. He then took a commercial course and obtained a clerical position with a railroad. He was identified with transportation affairs for four and a half years and was next in the employ of a wholesale hardware firm of Salt Lake City, Utah. A year later he became connected with the Jensen Creamery of that city, with which he spent seven and a half years, and during two years of that period was manager of the plant at Ogden, Utah. He then came to Washington and for one and a half years was auditor of the Seattle Title & Trust Company. In 1920 Mr. Davis came to Bellingham as manager of the Whatcom County Dairymen's Association, organized May 10, 1919, and has since filled this responsible office. His exhaustive knowledge of the dairy industry is supplemented by executive ability of a high order, and under his expert management this has become the largest and most successful cooperative association of the kind in the United States.
In 1916 Mr. Davis was united in marriage to Miss Esther Olive Johnson, of Salt Lake City, and they have three daughters: Esther Catherine, Virginia Elizabeth and Marjorie Ann. Mr. Davis is a Mason and his political allegiance is given to the republican party. He belongs to the Lions Club, a business men's organization devoted to Americanism, and is also an enthusiastic member of the Chamber of Commerce. Alert, Energetic and purposeful, he never stops short of the attainment of his objective, and his achievements in promoting the dairy industry of northwestern Washington have been of great importance, bringing him widespread prominence and high commendation.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pg. 925
William Davis, one of the foremost poultrymen of Lawrence township, has spent much of his life in the Pacific northwest, and to his own well directed efforts is due the creditable measure of success which he now enjoys. He was born in Pennsylvania, March 5, 1867, and his parents, David T. and Elizabeth (Hughes) Davis, were natives of Wales. The father worked in the mines of that country and in 1866 came to the United States, being accompanied by the mother. They settled in the Keystone state and there both passed away.
William Davis was reared on his father's farm and attended the public schools of Pennsylvania. He remained at home until he attained his majority and then started out for himself. In the fall of 1892 he came to Washington and first located in Snohomish county, in which he remained until 1898. He then went to Alaska, spending nine years in the far north, and on his return to Washington formed a partnership with C. B. Lancaster. They purchased the "Taker," which they operated as a passenger boat between Anacortes and Bellingham for two years, and on the expiration of that period Mr. Davis sold his stock to his partner, retiring from the firm. In September, 1912, he bought twenty acres of land in Lawrence township and embarked in the poultry business, in which he has since continued. He is now conducting his operations on a large scale, having a flock of thirteen hundred and fifty hens. They are well housed and his ranch contains many modern improvements. Mr. Davis has a highly specialized knowledge of the poultry industry and his work is conducted along scientific lines.
On December 20, 1911, Mr. Davis was united in marriage to Miss Emma Lysher, who was born in Stearns county, Minnesota, and located in Seattle, Washington, about 1905. Mr. Davis is a member of the Whatcom County Poultry Raisers Association and along fraternal lines is connected with the Loyal Order of Moose. He is liberal in his political views, regarding the qualifications of a candidate as a matter of prime importance, and in all matters of citizenship his influence is on the side of progress, reform and improvement. He enjoys his work and is thoroughly satisfied with this section of the country as a place of residence, fully appreciating its many advantages.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pg. 507
Day, Edwin Mahlon
Edwin Mahlon Day, justice of the peace and formerly judge advocate general of the state of Washington, is one of the able and venerable members of the Bellingham bar, with which he has been identified for a period of thirty-five years. He achieved success in the field of journalism and while in Nebraska accomplished much important work along reclamation lines. He has been a leader in projects for the development of the rich mineral resources of this region, a promoter of transportation interests, and his labors in behalf of the Grand Army of the Republic also constitute an important chapter in his life history. He has left the impress of his individuality upon every line of endeavor to which he has turned his attention and few careers have matched his in service to the commonwealth.
Judge Day was born September 25, 1845, in Princeton, Illinois. His father, John Mills Day, was a native of Dearborn county, Indiana; was an agriculturist by occupation and also engaged in the practice of veterinary surgery for a number of years, passing away in 1902 at Aurora, Nebraska. His wife bore the maiden name of Ellen Brigham Beach and was born in Sloansville, New York. Her father was a veteran of the War of 1812, and her brother, Cyrus A. Beach, was killed at the battle of Altoona Pass during the Civil war. In the paternal line the subject of this sketch traces his ancestry to Stephen Day, who came to the new world in 1635 and settled near Boston, Massachusetts, becoming the first printer on this side of the Atlantic and the publisher of The Psalm Book, probably the first book issued in this country.
In the public school of Illinois, Judge Day acquired his early education and while attending Lombard University at Galesburg he joined another student in raising a company of infantry which was mustered in as Company H of the One Hundred and Forty-sixth Illinois Infantry. The date of his enlistment was August 5, 1864, at which time he was but eighteen years of age, and on August 10 of that year he was made a corporal, acting in that capacity until the close of hostilities. He was assistant chief clerk to the mustering and disbursing officer at Quincy, serving under Captain S. S. Summer of the regular army, and his regiment had charge of President Lincoln's funeral. Corporal Day had charge of the immediate guard at the tomb at the time of interment at Oakland cemetery and was also in charge of the remains as relief guard at the state capitol in Springfield previous to the interment. General Joseph Hooker was marshal of the day, and in twenty-six hours about twenty-six thousand persons viewed the remains of the martyred president.
At Camp Butler, Illinois, Judge Day received his honorable discharge from the service and in 1865, while enroute to Colorado with a band of twenty-five emigrants, made good use of his knowledge of military tactics when the party was attacked by Indians at Alkali Springs on the 26th of October. He spent two years in Colorado, living in Denver and vicinity, and then returned to Illinois. After his marriage he moved to Sterling, Illinois, and for two years contracted with a sash and blind factory for painting and glazing. He was thus engaged from 1967 until 1969, when he went to Iowa and embarked in the publishing business in Des Moines, issuing the Des Moines Monthly Magazine and the Iowa State Granger. In 1877 he located in Sidney, Nebraska, and organized the first graded schools at that place, serving as principal and also as county superintendent of public instruction. Meanwhile he had been devoting his leisure hours to the study of law and in October, 1878, was admitted to the bar. He followed his profession in that state for twelve years and while a resident of North Platte became the founder and publisher of the Daily Electric Light and later owned and edited the Big Springs Journal at Big Springs, Nebraska. He also published the Ogallala (Neb.) Reflector and in addition was superintendent of the public schools of Keith county. In 1882 he organized the North Platte Irrigation & Power Company, which built the first irrigation canal in Nebraska and furnished water to fifty-one thousand acres of land. He also framed the first irrigation law passed in that state.
Responding to the lure of the northwest, Judge Day came to Washington and in 1891 arrived in New Whatcom, now known as Bellingham. In 1893 he founded the Fairhaven News, conducting the paper until 1896, and for four years thereafter published the Whatcom News, which was issued three times a week. He also published the Washington Resources until that paper was consolidated with the Fairhaven News and through the columns of these journals did much to influence the growth of the district. Seeking other outlets for his initiative spirit and superabundant energy, in September, 1901, he promoted and organized the Alger Oil & Mining Company, of which he became secretary, also acting as attorney for the corporation. It was started with a capital of three hundred thousand dollars and a plant for the manufacture of brick was erected at Alger at a cost of thirty-five thousand dollars. The company also acquired valuable mining property. In 1901 Judge Day formed the Britton Gold Mining Company, which was capitalized for three hundred thousand dollars, and he was elected secretary-treasurer, also having charge of the legal interests of the corporation, which developed gold and copper properties in the Mount Baker district. He was one of the promoters and organizers of the Whatcom-Skagit Interurban Railway Company, of which he was made president and general manager, displaying notable wisdom and power as an executive. He has practiced in the higher courts for many years and although he has reached the eightieth milestone on life's journey is still active in his profession, being exceptionally well preserved. His studies did not cease with his admission to the bar, for he has been a constant student, ever eager to broaden his knowledge of the law, and has successfully handled many notable cases. He has achieved more than local prominence as a lawyer, becoming judge advocate general of Washington with the rank of colonel. He was appointed by Governor Rogers and resigned after the latter's death, but his resignation was not accepted until four years from the date of his appointment. Judge Day is widely known as the father of the law creating the humane bureau of Washington, and for sixteen years he has filled the office of justice of peace, his long retention therein being eloquent of the quality of his service.
On December 3, 1867, Judge Day was married in Illinois to Miss Mary A. Sisson, whose father, Azariah Sisson, was a scion of an old American family and of English and French descent. To this union were born five children: Edwin Sisson; Bryant Jewel; Myrtle Edith, the wife of M. T. Summers; Margaret Ellen, who married John Percival Geddes; and Louella Pearle.
Judge Day was an adherent of the republican party until 1893 and has since maintained an independent course in politics. He is identified with the Ancient Order of United Workmen and in 1877 joined the Grand Army of the Republic at Fort Sidney, Nebraska. At North Platte he established Stephen A. Douglas Post, of which he was chosen commander, and also organized J. M. Thayer Post at Ogallala, Nebraska. While in that state he acted as chairman of the state board of administration of that order and afterward became vice commander of C. R. Apperson Post of Fairhaven, Washington. His demeanor has ever been marked by that courtesy and consideration for others which is the outward expression of a kindly nature, and his friends are legion. He has extracted from life the real essence of living, and his labors have been manifestly resultant.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 770-775
Clarence Deal is classed with the enterprising dairymen of Deming township and has also found time for public affairs, exerting his efforts as readily for the general welfare as for his own aggrandizement. He was born in 1879 in Iowa, and his parents, T. N. and Samantha L. (Everson) Deal, are also natives of that state. They came to Washington in 1900, settling in Adams county, and there the father was engaged in farming until 1915. He then located in Whatcom county, purchasing a tract of one hundred and sixty acres in Deming township, and successfully operated the place for several years, but is now living retired.
The public schools of Iowa afforded Clarence Deal his educational advantages, and during vacation periods he worked in the fields, acquiring useful habits of industry and thrift. When a young man of twenty-one he came with his family to the Pacific coast and assisted his father in the task of cultivating the rich soil of this region. Since the latter's retirement the subject of this sketch has operated the home ranch and is now specializing in poultry raising and dairying. He has devoted much study to these branches of agriculture, on which he is well informed, and his work is conducted along scientific lines, which produce the best results.
On February 28, 1900, Mr. Deal married Miss Estella Belle Crall, of Ohio, and five children were born to them, namely: Verl now Mrs. Edward Frank, of Acme, Washington, and the mother of two sons; and Gerald, Roger, Madeline and John, all of whom are at home. In politics Mr. Deal preserves an independent attitude, voting according to the dictates of his judgment, and his public spirit has been demonstrated by word and deed. He served for one year as clerk of Deming township and for five years has filled the office of assessor, discharging his duties with customary efficiency and thoroughness. His is gate-keeper of the local Grange, of which he was formerly overseer, and he possesses many exemplary traits of character, as his fellow townsmen attest.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 541-542
Dean, Maurice; Captain
Captain Maurice Dean, a popular young citizen of Bellingham, has for the past five years been in the service of the Pacific-American Fisheries as pilot on various steamers. His birth occurred at Mount Pleasant, Michigan, in 1888, his parents being Mr. and Mrs. Clifton Dean. The father was a native of the state of New York, while the mother was born in Michigan. It was in the year 1897 that the family journeyed westward across the continent to Whatcom county, Washington. Clifton Dean, a stationary engineer, who has here been engaged in both farming and engineering through the intervening period of about three decades, is now located at Ferndale.
Maurice Dean, who was a lad of nine years when he accompanied his parents to this state, acquired his education in the schools of Bellingham. He was a youth of about fourteen when he began working as boat fireman, and as time passed he gained considerable nautical skill. In 1914 he received an engineer's license for gas boats. As above state, he has served as pilot on various steamers for the Pacific-American Fisheries of Bellingham during the past five years and has proved himself a competent and able seaman. He belongs to the Brotherhood of Locomotive Firemen and Engineers.
In 1916 Captain Dean was united in marriage to Miss Evelyn Powell, a native of Cherryvale, Kansas, and a daughter of William E. Powell and his wife, the latter born in New York. William E. Powell, a minister of the Baptist church, removed with his family from the Sunflower state to Colorado about 1899 and after one year went to Spokane, Washington, where he spent a similar period. Subsequently the Powells lived successively at Pullman and Palouse in Washington and at Coeur d'Alene, Idaho, and then the father purchased a ranch in the vicinity of Yakima, Washington, whereon they remained for five years. Thereafter they lived for a time at Pasco, this state, and thence went to Ferndale, where Evelyn Powell formed the acquaintance and became the wife of Captain Dean. William E. Powell is parole officer for the reformatory at Monroe, Washington.
Captain Dean gives his political allegiance to the republican party, believing that its principles are most conducive to good government. He has remained a resident of Whatcom county from early boyhood and is held in warm regard and esteem because of his genuine personal worth and many sterling traits of character.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pg. 531
The people of the Nooksack valley in Whatcom county are too familiar with the career of M. Deeter for the biographer to call special attention to his record other than to give the salient facts, for he has spent his best active years here and has gained a prominent place in the esteem of the people and in the respect of all who have had business dealings with him. Mr. Deeter was born in Clay county, Indiana, on the 1st of February, 1869, and is a son of W. M. and Catherine (Newport) Deeter, the former of whom was a native of Ohio, which the mother was born and reared in the Hoosier state. W. M. Deeter followed farming, where he bought a farm, and lived there until 1897, when he came to Whatcom county, locating in the Nooksack valley, where he bought eighty acres of land to the cultivation of which he devoted himself until about two years prior to his death, which occurred August 9, 1912. He bought a home in Sumas, and there his widow is still living. They were the parents of eleven children, as follows: Mrs. Elizabeth Ludwig; M., the subject of this sketch, Henry, who lives in Arkansas; Mrs. Clara Wells, who lives in Sumas, this county; Mrs. Laura Smith, who also lives in Sumas; Isaac, who lives in Nooksack; David, who lives in Arkansas; William B., deceased; George W., James A., and Martha, deceased, who was a half-sister.
M. Deeter secured a good education in the public schools of his home neighborhood and remained under the parental roof until he was twenty years of age, when he was married. At that time he settled on forty acres of land in Lawrence county, Arkansas, which his father gave him, and he devoted himself to the operation of that farm until 1899, when he came to Washington. After remaining here a year, he went back to Arkansas, where he lived three years. In 1907 he returned to Washington and bought forty acres of land on Sumas creek, three miles south of Sumas, Whatcom county. The land was densely covered with stumps and brush, with no roads in the vicinity, but he set to work vigorously to create a home. He first built a house to shelter the family and then began the laborious task of clearing the land and getting it in shape for cultivation. He worked hard and continuously and now has practically all of his land under the plow and returning bounteous crops in return for the labor bestowed on it. He raises a general line of products, hay and grain being his main field crops, and he also has three acres in red raspberries that produce two thousand dollars worth of fruit yearly at cannery prices. He also gives considerable attention to dairying, keeping from ten to fifteen head of good Jersey cows and a pure-bred bull. He is methodical and practical, exercises sound judgment in all of his affairs and has made a splendid success of his ranch, which is now numbered among the best farms in the valley.
On March 13, 1889, Mr. Deeter was married to Miss Cora E. Ingrim, who was born at Atchison, Kansas, a daughter of Daniel and Ellen (Smith) Ingrim, both of whom also were natives of that state and were the parents of five children. The Ingrim family was one of the early families of the middle west, Mrs. Deeter's grandfather having run the first hotel in Kansas City, Missouri. To Mr. and Mrs. Deeter has been born eight children, namely: Mrs. Ruby Hindman, of Bellingham, who is the mother of three children, Mamie, Evert and Hazel.; Elmer, who died at the age of eight years; Mrs. Victoria Starr, who lives in Sumas and is the mother of two children, Vaunton and Netta; Thomas, deceased; Mrs. Aubra Deeter, who is the mother of two children, Donald and Gerald; Mrs. Alma Pencola, who has a son, Paul; Doris, who is a student in the normal school at Cheney, Washington; and Mrs. Clara Erho, who has two children, Floyd and Alvin. Alma and Clara are highly accomplished musicians.
Mr. Deeter's career has been characterized by untiring and persistent industry and has been crowned with well deserved success. In addition to his agricultural interests he has been interested in the lumber industry in Arkansas and in partnership with a brother has also owned a sawmill in this state. Sound business judgment and wise discrimination have characterized all his transactions and he has long enjoyed an enviable standing among his fellow citizens. He is deeply interested in everything pertaining to the welfare and prosperity of his section of the county, being an earnest advocate of good schools and improved roads, and maintains a liberal attitude toward benevolent and charitable objects. He is a friendly and companionable man, optimistic in his outlook on the world, and enjoys to a marked degree the confidence and esteem of all who know him.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 281-282
Delp, J. P.
Back to the old Keystone state must we turn in tracing the lineage of J. P. Delp, one of the influential and highly esteemed citizens of Delta township. That section of the country, which was the cradle of so much of our national history, became the home of his ancestors in an early day, and he seems to have inherited many of their sterling characteristics, for his life has been one of integrity, industry, forbearance and generosity. Mr. Delp is a native of Pennsylvania and was born on the 19th of October, 1864, a son of Guyer and Elizabeth (McKinney) Delp, both of whom also were natives of Pennsylvania, where they followed farming pursuits. They were the parents of five children, three of whom are now living, namely: Anthony, Susanna and J. P. The last named attended the public schools of his native state and remained on the paternal farmstead until he was twenty-five years of age.
After his marriage, which occurred in 1890, Mr. Delp bought seventy acres of land near New Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, to the operation of which he devoted his attention until 1902, when he came to Washington, locating in Clarkston, eastern Washington, where for three years he was employed by the power company. Mr. Delp then went to Seattle, Washington, where he went to work for the Stone-Webster Company on the street railway lines as emergency man. He held that responsible position for sixteen years and then bought eighty acres of land in Delta township, three miles west of Lynden, a part of the old Weidkamp homestead. About thirty-five acres were cleared, in addition to which he has cleared fifteen acres, and on this land he raises bountiful crops of grain and hay. The family still lives in the commodious and comfortable old log house which was built by Mr. Weidkamp. Mr. Delp keeps ten good grade Guernsey cows, which return him a handsome income. He is a thoroughly practical farmer and no one in the community excels him in farming. Last year, though a dry season, one wheat field yielded an average of forty bushels to the acre. He keeps about two hundred laying hens and also a flock of turkeys, and in the handling of both has been very successful. He does thoroughly and well whatever he undertakes and has gained a splendid reputation in his community as a wide-awake and hustling business man.
On April 17, 1890, Mr. Delp was married to Miss Loma Womeldorf, who was born and reared in Pennsylvania, a daughter of Isaac and Melinda (Hepler) Womeldorf, both of whom were natives of Pennsylvania, where the father died in 1909, being survived by his widow, who is now eighty-four years of age. Of the eleven children born to them, six are now living: Amanda, Mary, Loma, Jennie, Wallace and Belle. Mrs. Delp's maternal grandfather, Daniel Hepler, homesteaded one hundred and sixty acres of land near New Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, about 1815, being a pioneer of that locality, and the land was covered with timber when he first occupied it. It was cleared and developed into a good farm and is still in the possession of the family. Mr. and Mrs. Delp are the parents of one child, Charles C., who was born near New Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, February 19, 1891. He received his education in the public schools of eastern Washington and also was graduated from a business college in Seattle. He has been a member of the police force in Seattle for the past ten years. On March 14, 1918, he was married to Miss Lillian Magnus and they have a daughter, Betty Jean, born December 14, 1919. Charles Delp is a veteran of the World war, having enlisted in September 1917. He was assigned to the Veterinary Corps, with which he served until the close of the war, when he received an honorable discharge.
J. P. Delp is a member of the Whatcom County Dairymen's Association and the Whatcom County Poultry Association. He is essentially public-spirited, supporting every measure for the betterment or advancement of the local welfare and contributing generously to the various benevolent and charitable organizations of the community. He possesses a friendly and genial disposition, is kindly and hospitable in his social relations and is deservedly popular throughout the range of his acquaintance.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 196-197
Denton, Don Howard
Don Howard Denton is well known to automobile owners of Bellingham as the proprietor of one of the best service stations in the city, and in this line of activity he is a pioneer. He was born November 20, 1883, in Howard City, Michigan, and his parents, Alexander H. and Nettie (Keith) Denton, have passed away. The mother's birth also occurred in the Wolverine state and the father was a native of New York. He came to Bellingham in 1899 and in 1900 returned to Michigan for his family, spending the remainder of his life in this city.
Don H. Denton attended the public schools of his native state and during vacation periods worked in his father's grocery store. He was seventeen years of age when his parents migrated to Bellingham, and he was employed in various capacities until 1906, when he accepted a position with the Standard Oil Company. He was made local manager and was here when the first service station was started in Seattle. Soon afterward one was established in Bellingham and Mr. Denton furnished gasoline to the first automobiles that came to the city, using the crude method of a bucket and funnel in filling the tanks. In 1921 he opened an automobile service station at No. 107 West Magnolia street and in 1925 moved to Grand avenue, securing a location opposite The Fair. The building is fifty by one hundred and thirty-two feet in dimensions and of brick and concrete construction. Mr. Denton sells oil, gas and automobile accessories and conducts a business of large proportions. He has the leading greasing station in Bellingham and was the first dealer in the city to adopt the Alemite system of lubrication.
In 1912 Mr. Denton married Miss Rachel E. Smith, a daughter of George S. and Sara E. Smith, who made the journey from Kansas to Washington in 1900. Mr. Smith was one of the pioneer grocers of Bellingham and served on the city council, working at all time for the best interests of the community. Mr. Denton is a thirty-second degree Mason and Shriner and belongs to Bellingham Chapter of the Eastern Star, with which his wife is also connected. He is a member of the Rotary Club and his political allegiance is given to the republican party. He is deeply engrossed in business and has an expert knowledge of the line in which he specializes. His probity, enterprise and ability are well known to the business men of Bellingham and have met with a rich return of personal regard as well as a substantial measure of success.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pg. 716
Michael Dermody is too well known to the citizens of Lynden township to require any formal introduction here, for through a long period of years he has resided here and has contributed in a very definite way to the development and progress of this section of the county, at the same time gaining the unbounded respect of all who know him. He was born in Dover, New Hampshire, in 1849, and is a son of James and Mary (Shea) Dermody, both of whom were born and reared in Ireland, where they were married. In 1844 the father came to the United States, locating in Boston, and was followed about three years later by his wife and son. He was a cultured and well educated man, being a college graduate, but on coming to this country he worked at whatever employment he could find. Eventually he took his family to Portsmouth, New Hampshire, where he and his wife spent their remaining years, her death occurring in 1856 and his in 1889.
Michael Dermody received his education in the public schools of Portsmouth and worked on neighboring farms from the age of thirteen years until he was about twenty-three years old, when he learned the granite cutter's trade, at which he was employed for four years in Portsmouth, Springfield and other places. He then started for California, arriving in 1876, and remained there until the spring of the following year, when he went to Seattle, whence he soon afterward went out on the Snoqualmie, near Fall City, where he homesteaded one hundred and sixty acres of land. In the following year he went to work near North Bend and, liking the natural prairie land in that locality, he and E. M. Cudworth bought two hundred acres in partnership, Mr. Dermody dropping his previous homestead entry. He remained in that locality six years and about two years after that sold the place. He then came to Whatcom and a little later to Lynden, where he went into the logging camp of the Washington colony, composed of settlers from Kansas, and here, during 1883-84, he logged on the present site of Lynden. In 1885 he located near his present ranch and took up a preemption claim of one hundred and sixty acres all swamp land heavily encumbered with cedar and spruce timber and brush. After proving up on this tract, he sold eighty acres, and in 1905, after clearing, ditching and draining about thirty acres, he sold the remaining eighty acres. In the meantime he had been looking after the Bacon & Ellis tract, adjoining his preemption land, and on selling the latter he moved onto this place, to which he has devoted his attention to the present time. This property was at one time the home of General McPherson and about sixty acres are now included in the Bacon & Ellis farm. The place is devoted to the raising of hay and oats, and the fertile and well cultivated soil returns splendid crops. Mr. Dermody is a thoroughly practical man in everything he does and has been very successful in his operation of the property. He is not married and is maintaining his own home on the place.
Mr. Dermody has been a witness of and an active participant in the splendid development which has characterized this section of Whatcom county. When he first came here there were no roads or public improvements of any nature. He and two others dug a ditch from the Jacobson place to the southeast corner of his tract, constructed a shallow flatboat and by this means pulled his household goods up to his property. During the years of his way to the improvement of local conditions, efforts which have been fully appreciated by his neighbors and fellow citizens. In 1887 he was appointed a member of the school board of the North Prairie district and rendered excellent service in that capacity. A man of kindly and accommodating disposition, he has long held an enviable place in the confidence and good will of all with whom he has come in contact and is regarded as one of the best citizens of his community.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 341-342
De Valois, T.
One of the successful agriculturists and respected citizens of western Whatcom county is T. De Valois, a man whose biography furnishes a splendid example of what may be accomplished through determined purpose, laudable ambition and well directed efforts. Starting out in life in modest circumstances, he has steadily worked his way upward, winning success in his chosen field of endeavor, and has attained a high place in the esteem of his fellow citizens. Mr. De Valois is a native of Holland and first saw the light of day October 3, 1860. His parents were C. and Marie (Tol) De Valois, both of whom were natives of the Netherlands, where both died. Our subject secured his education in the Christian school, in his native land, and remained at home until 1887, when, desiring a larger field for personal advancement, he emigrated to the United States. He settled in Sioux county, Iowa, where he was employed on farms for two years, after which he rented farm land for one year. In 1890 he bought two hundred and forty acres of land, to the cultivation of which he closely devoted his attention until 1903, when he sold that place and came to Washington, locating on Whidbey island, where he remained about six months.
Mr. De Valois then came to Lynden and bought forty acres of land in Delta township. The land was partly cleared and he completed this work, creating a fine farm, to the cultivation of which he applied himself with such success that in 1907 he was able to buy forty acres of land across the road, and in 1913 he also bought a like amount adjoining on the north, so that he is now the owner of one hundred and twenty acres of fine and well improved land, from which he harvests abundant crops, raising hay and grain on about one hundred acres. He raises hogs and also has twelve good grade cows and four hundred laying hens, from which he likewise derives a nice income. He has made a number of improvements on the place, including a good barn, an attractive and comfortable home and other necessary buildings such as are needed on an up-to-date farm. He is practical and methodical in his operations and his efforts are meeting with well deserved success.
On March 4, 1895, Mr. De Valois was married to Miss Roline Kok, who also is a native of Holland, born in the province of Drenthe, and is a daughter of John H. and Marjory (Ten Brink) Kok. Her parents were born and spent their lives in Holland, the father dying September 22, 1915, and the mother passing away about 1890. To Mr. and Mrs. De Valois have been born three children: Marie and John C., who were born in Iowa; and Margaret M., born in Washington, who attended the State Normal School in Bellingham in 1921 and is now teaching in the public schools of Lynden. The religious affiliation of Mr. De Valois and his family is with the Christian Reformed church at Lynden. He is a member of the Whatcom County Dairymen's Association and the Whatcom County Poultry Association, and is public-spirited, lending his earnest support to any cause that has for its ultimate object the betterment of his locality along material, civic or moral lines. For these things and his fine character and forceful personality he is eminently deserving of the confidence and esteem which is accorded him.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pg. 865