Draper, H. W.
One of the worthy and successful farmers and poultrymen of the western part of Whatcom county is H. W. Draper, whose splendid ranch in West Delta township represents the results of his own earnest and unremitting toil, for he carved his home out of the wilderness of which his land consisted when he bought it. He has led a busy but quiet life and his honor and integrity have never been questioned. He is one of the substantial and enterprising men of his section of the county and his fellow citizens bear willing testimony to his sterling character and fine personal qualities. H. W. Draper was born in Henry county, Illinois, on the 17th of February, 1862, and is the son of Mr. and Mrs. Clark Draper, the former a native of Virginia and the latter of Pennsylvania. The father was a farmer in Illinois, where his death occurred in 1874, and his wife died in 1864, when the subject of this sketch was but a baby. Of the three children born to these parents, two are living, the daughter being Mrs. Sarah Palmer, of Illinois.
H. W. Draper is indebted to the public schools of his native state for his education and at the age of fourteen years he went to work on farms in Illinois, Nebraska and Kansas. In 1880 he located in Nebraska, remaining there five years, and then traveled over most of the western states until 1892, when he returned to Illinois, where he remained for eleven years. In 1903 Mr. Draper came to Lynden, Whatcom county, and bought eighty acres in West Delta township. A vast amount of work was required to clear the timber and brush from this land before it could be cultivated, but he worked with vigor, first erecting a small house, and in the course of time got twenty acres under the plow, the remainder of the land being "slashed" and in pasture. The cultivated land is mainly devoted to the raising of hay and grain, of which he gathers bounteous crops, and he is also devoting considerable attention to dairying and poultry. He keeps five good grade Guernsey and Jersey cows, a good team of young work horses and has about one thousand laying hens, which number he expects to materially increase, as he has found the chicken business both profitable and pleasant. Mr. Draper has made many improvements of substantial nature since he acquired this property, which, under his careful management, has been developed into one of the finest ranches in this locality. In 1912 the first house was replaced by a larger and finer home, a commodious barn was built in 1915 and chicken houses were built in 1924 and 1925. Mr. Draper is a member of the Whatcom County Dairymen's Association and the Whatcom County Poultry Association. In 1906 he planted an orchard, which contains practically all kinds of fruit, some English walnut trees and a fine patch of berry bushes.
On March 17, 1905, in Seattle, Washington, Mr. Draper was married to Miss Irene Lady, who was born in Indiana, the daughter of Milton W. and Mary E. (Westfall) Lady, the former born in Midway, Tennessee, the latter a native of Indiana. Mr. Lady went to Missouri in 1841, being a pioneer of the locality, where he took up a homestead and bought additional land and there he became an extensive stock breeder and farmer. He was an expert horticulturist and owned a splendid orchard. He lived there the remainder of his life, dying in 1874. He was survived many years by his widow, who died March 22, 1921, at the age of eighty years. Of the seven children born to them, six are living, namely: William, who lives in Colorado; John O., of Missouri; Irene, Mrs. Draper; Mrs. Lillie A. Fidler, whose husband is a merchant in Bauner, Fulton county, Illinois; Allan M., deceased; George W., who is an engineer in Bates county, Missouri and Milton E., who is farming in Minnesota. Owing to his sterling qualities of character, his indomitable industry, sound business ability and his friendly manner, Mr. Draper has long occupied a high place in the confidence and regard of his fellow citizens.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 530-531
For almost thirty years prior to his death in the summer of 1920 David Dunagan had been one of the well established and public-spirited farmers and citizens of Whatcom county, having been the proprietor of a well kept place in Mountain View township, rural mail route No. 3 out of Ferndale, where his widow still resides. At his passing he left a good memory in the community of which he long had been a part and in the development of which he had been a conspicuous contributing factor. It is but proper, therefore, that in this definite history of the country in which he long ago had chosen to make his home there should appear some review of his life and services as a slight tribute to that memory.
Mr. Dunagan was born near St. Joseph, Missouri, November 18, 1858, and he died at his home in Whatcom county, July 14, 1920, when in his sixty-second year. He was a son of J. F. and Mary (Milam) Dunagan, the latter of whom was born in Virginia, a member of one of the colonial families of the Old Dominion. J. F. Dunagan was a native of Missouri and a member of one of the pioneer families of that state. His parents had settled there upon moving from Tennessee, of which latter state they were pioneers. When but a lad David Dunagan moved with his parents from Missouri to Texas, and after residing for a time in that state the family moved to Washington county, Arkansas. His education was completed in the Arkansas State University, and for some years he was engaged during the winters as a teacher in the public schools of that state. In 1891, two years after his marriage, Mr. Dunagan came to Whatcom county and established his home on a tract of forty acres, a part of the Eldridge place in Mountain View township, and there he spent the remainder of his life. When he took over the place it was wholly unimproved, not a stick of timber having been cut, and he thus had before him the task of clearing and improving the tract. With commendable forethought he left about five acres of timber standing, and the Dunagan farm is thus adorned with a beautiful grove. In addition to his general farming, Mr. Dunagan gave considerable attention also to dairying and poultry raising, and he soon came to be recognized as one of the progressive farmers of the neighborhood. In his later years, as he began to relax from the more arduous labors of the farm, he became engaged as mail carrier on rural mail route No. 1 out of Ferndale and for thirteen years prior to his death was the carrier on that route. He was one of the best known men in the whole countryside. Mr. Dunagan was an ardent member of the Baptist church, as is his widow, and ever took an earnest part in church activities. He was also for some years a member of the school board in his district and was one of the leaders in the promotion of the school system in that part of the county.
It was on January 16, 1889, in Washington county, Arkansas, that Mr. Dunagan was united in marriage to Miss Emma Fulgham who, with their twelve children, survives him, and she is still living on the home farm, the operations of which are now being conducted under the general direction of her third son, James Dunagan. All of the other children are graduates of the State Normal School at Bellingham and several are now engaged in teaching. The eldest of the children, Miss Lucinda Dunagan, married Mathew Killingsworth and is now living in Garfield county. David F. Dunagan, the eldest son, is married and is living at Warland, Montana, where he is engaged in teaching. Miss Dessie May Dunagan, the second daughter, has been for some years engaged in teaching and is now (1926) finishing an advanced course in pedogogics in the Washington State University. Anna f. Dunagan, the next daughter, married Guy Fanning and resides in Garfield county. Albert Dunagan, the second son, is married and is now living at Whitefish, Montana, where he is engaged in the hardware business. The Misses Elizabeth and Lillian Dunagan (twins) are members of the teaching staff of the Whatcom county public schools. Miss Maud Dunagan also is a teacher, as are Fred Dunagan, the fourth son, who is teaching in Warland, Montana, and Miss Maybelle Dunagan, who is a teacher in the Cosmopolis schools in Grays Harbor county, this state. Miss Genevieve Dunagan, the last born of this interesting family, also is prepared for teaching service, being a graduate of the State Normal School in Bellingham.
Mrs. Dunagan was born in Arkansas and is a daughter of Elias and Mary (Garrison) Fulgham, both of whom were born in Tennessee. The Fulghams of this line in America are an old colonial family and were among the pioneers in the settlement of Kentucky in the days when that "dark and bloody ground" was part of the Old Dominion (Virginia). The Garrisons also are an old American family and were among the pioneers in Tennessee when that commonwealth was being prepared for settlement.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 124-125
Du Praw, Frank L.; D.C.
Dr. Frank L. Du Praw, Bellingham's pioneer chiropractor, has practiced in the city for twelve years with marked success, clearly demonstrating the effectiveness of this science in coping with disease. He was born January 9, 1880, in Saginaw, Michigan, and is of French descent. Dr. Du Praw attended the public schools of his native city and subsequently entered the Palmer School of Chiropractic at Davenport, Iowa, graduating with the class of 1913. He began his professional career in Iowa but at the end of six months came to Washington and since 1914 has maintained an office in Bellingham. He has acquired expert skill in his work, which is entirely with the spine, and enjoys an extensive practice, drawing his patients from a wide area.
Dr. Du Praw gives his political allegiance to the republican party, for he deems that its policy best conserves national prosperity and promotes public stability. Along fraternal lines he is connected with the Knights of Pythias and the Benevolent Protective Order of Elks. His is a member of the state and national associations of chiropractors and takes a deep interest in every movement that tends to raise the standards of his profession or promote the efficiency of its representatives. Dr. Du Praw is devoted to his patients and has been uniformly successful in his efforts to restore health.
"Like many another fundamental truth, the chiropractic principle was discovered by accident. After exhaustive research its founder was at last convinced that he had definitely established a living philosophy, a sound science and a practical art. For a time the potential power of his idea was overwhelming and caused him to believe that the world could never be brought to accept such a radical departure from established thought.
"The founder of chiropractic was the late D. D. Palmer, Canadian born and reared in the sturdy northwest. He was educated for and followed the vocation of magnetic healing, and the world today owes its gratitude to this splendid old character whose incessant delving into the cause of disease led him painstakingly to the principles of chiropractic - principles, by the way, which now lead a profession of thousands of chiropractors in the United States, Canada and many foreign lands.
"The first chiropractic adjustment was given in 1895 to a man of impaired hearing. An analysis disclosed a pronounced subluxation in the upper region of the spinal column. By adjustments the misaligned vertebra (small bone in the spine) was restored to its normal relations, and soon the man could hear as before.
"The discovery of chiropractic was, then, an accident and, temporarily, a secret; its progress, however, was very largely the result of patient and intelligent inquiry by this earnest investigator of truth. By the greatest good fortune, this wonderful philosopher revealed his phenomenal idea to his son, B. J. Palmer. It is through the activities of his son that today the world's sick and afflicted are helping to prove the blessings of chiropractic.
"This grand old man did not live long enough to realize the full measure of his discovery; he was destined never to know the satisfaction of the world-wide acceptance of the 'big idea'; he never conceived the spontaneous elation of the multitude who have been fully restored to health and happiness.
"Yes, D. D. Palmer had a great secret; greater than he ever knew. And there are millions today who have reason to thank God for one man who first realized its latent possibilities. That man was his son, B. J. Palmer, now president of The Palmer School of Chiropractic. He has spent the best part of his life in developing his discovery into a specific science, philosophy and art, and there are hundred of thousands of men, women, and children who have been restored to happiness and health through taking chiropractic adjustments. Chiropractic now stands head and shoulders above and of the other drugless sciences in the world, and in the United States is recognized by most of the states."
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 854 -857
Among the many sons of Germany who have come to Whatcom county and have not only achieved a large measure of success in material affairs but have also attained a high place in the esteem of the people of their respective communities, specific mention should be made of Fred Dux, whose splendid farm is located in Ten Mile township. He has by his indomitable and persistent efforts developed a fine home, and by his life he has honored the locality in which he lives. He was born in Germany on the 1st of May, 1857, and is a son of August and Minnie Dux, both of whom were natives and lifelong residents of that country.
Fred Dux received a good practical education in the public school of his native land and served one and a half years in the army. He remained at home until he was twenty-four years of age, when he emigrated to the United States, locating in Martin county, Wisconsin, where he engaged in farming, pursuing that vocation until 1902, when he came to Bellingham, Whatcom county. Soon afterward he rented a farm on the Everson-Goshen road, to the operation of which he devoted himself about two years, and then, in 1906, he bought forty acres of land in Ten Mile township, comprising his present farm. About one acre of the land had been cleared, only the best cedar trees having been removed from the remainder of the tract. Through his indefatigable efforts Mr. Dux has cleared about twelve acres of the land and has it under an excellent system of cultivation. During his first years here he worked in shingle mills and in the cutting of shingle bolts, for which he found a ready sale. He has carried on a general line of farming, raising all the crops common to this locality, and has also planted an orchard which is now in good bearing condition. Recently Mr. Dux suffered a serious injury, breaking a knee cap, which has interferred greatly with his work. He keeps a number of good grade cows and he is also preparing to go into the chicken business, which has proved to be a profitable enterprise in this locality.
In August, 1888, Mr. Dux was married to Miss Martha Schulz, of Wisconsin, where their marriage took place. She is a daughter of August and Mary (Brauch) Schulz, both of whom were natives of Germany. Her mother came to the United States on a sailing vessel in her early girlhood, the ship requiring thirteen weeks to make the passage. Both parents are deceased, the father having spent a number of his later years with his daughter, Mrs. Dux, though his death occurred in California. To Mr. and Mrs. Dux have been born five children: Ida is the wife of Ole Iverson, of Delta, and they have four children. Molly is the wife of Walter Griffin, of Yakima county, Washington, and they have two children. Mrs. Ella Markwood resides in Bellingham. Fred, who lives on the home place, was married to Miss Ida Raymond. Edna, the only one of the children born in Whatcom county, is at home. Mr. Dux is a member of the Whatcom County Dairymen's Association. He has always been interested in public affairs, and while a resident of Martin county, Wisconsin, he served for a number of years as constable. He has allowed no personal interests to interfere with his duty to the community and has supported every measure calculated to advance the best interest of the general public. He is a man of sturdy and upright character, courteous and accommodating and is friendly and genial in his social relations, so that he has gained a host of warm and loyal friends, who esteem him for his genuine worth as a man and a citizen.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 851-852
Duxbury, R. P.
R. P. Duxbury, one of the well established farmers, dairymen and poultrymen of Whatcom county, is the proprietor of a well kept place of forty acres on rural mail route No. 1 out of Blaine, his place overlooking majestic Mount Baker. When he arrived there in 1915 the highway ended at the place just east of his tract, and in moving in he made his entrance through the courtesy of his neighbor, moving his goods in through the latter's land. When he took possession of the place the representation was made to him that fifteen acres of the tract had been cleared, but he found it was considerable less than that, and his task of clearing was thus more extensive than he had planned for. He now has thirty acres cleared and the farm improved in good shape. In addition to his dairy operations he is quite extensively engaged in poultry raising, having a flock of no fewer than five hundred White Leghorns of Hollywood breed. His dairy cattle are mostly registered Jerseys and his herd is led by a registered Jersey bull. Mr. Duxbury enjoys the distinction of having been one of that plucky party of four that made the ascent of Mount Baker from the Baker Lake side, the first successful attempt to scale the mountainside from that approach. Unfortunately, when almost to the summit he was stricken with snow sickness and was thus unable to scale the top with his companions, but he gained the credit for his hardihood nevertheless. It is needless to say that the hours spent by Mr. Duxbury laboriously crawling on hands and knees on this perilous climb will never be effaced from his memory.
Mr. Duxbury was born on a farm in Jackson county, Wisconsin, August 23, 1882, and is a son of J. H. and Emma (Price) Duxbury, the latter of whom, a native of Kansas and a member of one of the pioneer families of that state, is still living, having been a resident of Whatcom county for the past quarter of a century. The late J. H. Duxbury, who died at his home in this county in 1921, also was born in Jackson county, Wisconsin, and was a son of John Duxbury, a native of England, who had settled in that county upon coming to this country and who became one of the substantial pioneer farmers of that region. In 1901 J. H. Duxbury disposed of his holdings in Wisconsin and came to Washington, locating at Bellingham, where he was for some time engaged in the real estate business. He then retired to a small farm he had bought in that neighborhood and there his last days were spent. R. P. Duxbury was eighteen years of age when he came here from Wisconsin. For some time after his arrival he was employed in the service of the street railway company in Bellingham and then transferred his services to the local agency of the Standard Oil Company. For fifteen years he made his home in Bellingham and then, in 1915, bought the tract above referred to and has since been living there, now having one of the best general farm and dairy plants in the neighborhood. Mr. Duxbury gives a good citizen's attention to local civic affairs and for some time rendered efficient public service as supervisor of highways in his district. He is a member of the Whatcom County Dairymen's Association and of the Poultry Association and is also affiliated with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows. Mrs. Duxbury likewise is alert to the needs of the public and has rendered service as a member of the local school board.
On May 12, 1907, in Bellingham, Mr. Duxbury was united in marriage to Miss Grace Burnett, and they have one child, a son, Lloyd Duxbury. Mrs. Duxbury was born in Michigan and is a daughter of James and Margaret (Small) Burnett, who were married in Michigan and who after residing there for some time became residents of Bellingham. The Duxburys have a pleasant home and take an interested and helpful part in the general social activities of their community.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 925-926
Dykstra, P. D.
Among the farmers of Whatcom county who have achieved success along steady lines of action and have attained influential places in their respective communities, specific mention should be made of the subject of this sketch, who stands high in popular esteem and confidence. P. D. Dykstra was born in Holland in 1857 and is a son of D. P. and Jennie (Visser) Dykstra, the latter of whom died when the subject was but six years old. The father was a native of Holland, where he lived for many years, and in 1894, at the age of eighty-one, he came to Whatcom county, living here until his death, in September, 1914.
P. D. Dykstra received a good education in the schools of his native land and remained in that country until 1884, when he emigrated to the United States, locating in Iowa, where he worked on railroads, and also learned the trade of a plasterer. In 1896 he went to Oak Harbor, Whatcom county, remaining there until March, 1898, when he located near Lynden. In 1900 he bought his present farm, comprising fifteen acres, which at that time was virgin land, covered with timber and brush. He slashed the timber, but during the first few years he worked out in order to secure money for current expenses. Eventually he succeeded in clearing all of his land, and he has created a very comfortable and attractive home. His well cultivated fields produce good crops of feed, and he gives special attention to dairying, keeping six or seven good cows, in the handling of which he has been successful, as he also has been with his chickens, keeping three hundred of the White Leghorn breed. He is an energetic and persevering worker, neglects nothing relating to his farm work, and has gained an excellent reputation as an enterprising and progressive farmer.
Mr. Dykstra has been twice married. In 1889 he returned to Holland and was married to Miss Grietje Wiersma, who died in 1914. To this union were born six children, namely: Jennie and Dora, who are unmarried and live in Seattle; David, of Lynden, who is married and has one child; Augusta, who became the wife of Bert Matter, of Lynden, and has one child; and Oscar and Henry, who are at home. In August, 1922, Mr. Dykstra was married to Miss Aleta Schmidt, their marriage occurring in Iowa. She is a native of Holland and is a woman of splendid character, kindly and tactful, and popular among her associates. Mr. Dykstra is a member of the Whatcom County Dairymen's Association and the Whatcom County Poultry Association, while his religious affiliation is with the First Christian Reformed church. In 1915 he went down into the Willamette valley, in Oregon, to investigate the possibilities of a Holland settlement there, but he did not like the land, which also was priced too high, and he made an adverse report on the project. From the time of his coming to this locality he has cooperated with his fellow citizens in all efforts for the betterment and advancement of the general welfare, among his first efforts being the cooperative building of roads, of which there were very few when he came here. He has attended closely to his business affairs but has never neglected his duties toward the community, and his fine public spirit has been appreciated by his fellowmen, among whom he is held in high esteem.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 241-242