Eason, James J.
Of pioneer stock, James J. Eason has been an interested witness of the progress of civilization in the Pacific northwest, bearing his share of the work of development, and he owns and operates a valuable ranch in the vicinity of Kendall. A native of Scotland, he was born in the city of Edinburgh in 1874, and was but a year old when his parents, William and Jane (Nicholson) Eason, made the voyage to the United States. They first located in Oregon and the father followed the cooper's trade in Portland and St. Johns, that state; also at Castlerock and Puyallup, Washington. He moved to Seattle in 1882 and in 1884 took up a homestead on the shore of Henderson bay. In 1886 he abandoned the occupation of farming and settled in Tacoma. He spent his declining years with the subject of this sketch, passing away June11, 1920, while the mother's demise occurred in Bellingham in May, 1924.
James J. Eason attended the public schools of Washington and in Tacoma served an apprenticeship to the plumber's trade, which he followed for three years. On March 1, 1895, he came to Whatcom county and bought the old Crafts homesteaded of one hundred and sixty acres, situated in the southern part of Columbia township. Only a small portion of the place had been cleared. He was associated in the undertaking with William Thompson, who had arrived in the county in 1891. In 1899 they divided the land, each taking eighty acres, and Mr. Eason afterward repurchased forty acres of the homestead. His holdings now comprise one hundred and twenty-five acres, of which twenty-two are under cultivation, and the soil is rich and productive, rewarding the care and labor which he bestows upon it. He grows the crops best adapted to this region and also raises stock, specializing in pure bred Jersey cattle. He has improved the place with good buildings and his ranch is one of the best in the township.
Mr. Eason was married, January 1, 1900, to Miss Lillian Leavitt, a native of Canada and a daughter of Albert and Mary Leavitt. Her parents came to Whatcom county about 1889 and Mr. Leavitt proved up on a homestead in Columbia township. To Mr. and Mrs. Eason were born five children: Vert, who is married and resides on the shore of Lake Samish, Washington; Azalea, the wife of George King, of Columbia township and the mother of two daughters, Azalea Olive and Verna May; Earl, at home; David, who is attending Pullman College, taking a course in hydro-electrical engineering; and Leo, a high school student.
Mr. and Mrs. Eason are affiliated with the Presbyterian church at Kendall and for many years he has been superintendent of the Sunday school. Along fraternal lines he is connected with the Woodmen of the World and his political allegiance is given to the republican party. He has been a member of the school board for many years and was township treasurer. He is always ready to serve his community to the extent of his ability and occupies a high place in the esteem of his fellowmen.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 700-701
In placing the name of Oscar Ebe, well known and successful farmer, in the front rank of Delta township's citizens, simple justice is done to a biographical fact recognized throughout his community. A man of good judgment, discretion and business ability of a high order, he has managed his affairs with success and has so impressed his individuality upon the community as to gain recognition as an enterprising and public-spirited citizen. Mr. Ebe was born in Baden, Germany, on the 10th of November, 1890, and is a son of Joseph and Josephina Ebe, both of whom were natives of the country, where the father followed the occupation of farming. Of the seven children born to them, three are now living: John, Julia and Oscar.
Oscar Ebe secured his educational training in the excellent public schools of his native land and remained under the parental roof until 1913, when he emigrated to the United States. He first stopped at Topeka, Kansas, where for four years he was employed on a farm. In 1917 he came to Goldendale, Klickitat county, Washington, where he was employed until 1919, when he came to Whatcom county and bought fifty acres of land in Delta township, six miles southwest of Lynden. The tract was all cleared and contained a good set of farm buildings and a silo. Mr. Ebe has shown himself to be a competent and capable farmer, and he has raised bounteous crops on his land, the 1925 crop of potatoes being an especially good one. His man field crops are hay, potatoes and corn, the latter being raised chiefly for ensilage. He has fifteen good grade cows and a nice flock of laying hens and keeps the place well improved in every respect, being a methodical and progressive man in all phases of his work.
Mr. Ebe was married, December 6, 1919, to Miss Lena Kloker, who was born at Goldendale, Washington, a daughter of Joseph and Dora Kloker, both of whom were natives of Germany. Her parents came to the United States in 1885 and 1870 respectively, and they were married in this country. They lived in Iowa for three years and then went to California, where they remained but a short time, going from there to eastern Oregon, where the father was engaged in farming for two years. He then located at Goldendale, Washington, where he worked at various employments for a few years after which he located on a homestead of eighty acres belonging to Mrs. Kloker, in the operation of which he was very successful, being able eventually to add five hundred and sixty acres to the original tract, and also acquiring another tract of six hundred and forty acres.Mr. and Mrs. Kloker retired from active farming about eight years ago, and the ranch is now operated by their son Carl. Five children were born to this worthy couple, namely: Aloys, born September 5, 1920; Dora, born January 3, 1922; and Frances, born August 29, 1923.
Mr. Ebe is a member of the Whatcom County Dairymen's Association and the Whatcom County Poultry Association. Fraternally he is a member of the Bellingham Council, Knights of Columbus. He is a public-spirited man in all that the term implies, being interested in all enterprises tending to promote the general welfare and withholding his support from no movement for the good of his locality. His personal relations with his fellowmen have been mutually pleasant and agreeable, and being obliging and straight-forward in all the relations of life he has gained an enviable place in the confidence and esteem of all who have come in contact with him.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 909-910
Dietrich Ebeling, one of Bellingham's veteran business men, very properly may be referred to as the "dean" of the retail meat dealers of the city, for he has been engaged in business longer than any other man now active in that line here. It was in 1892, more than ten years before Bellingham came into its present corporate name, that he began selling meat here and he has been a witness to and a participant in the changes that have been wrought in the commercial life of the city since he took up his residence here.
Mr. Ebeling is a native of Germany, born September 2, 1873. When sixteen years of age he came to this country, his objective being the city of Chicago. Upon his arrival there he came in touch with influences that directed his feet toward the coast country and in that year, 1889, he arrived in the Fairhaven settlement on the Bay. He retains a distinct recollection that at the time work was just beginning on the grading of Harris street. A lively lad, he found no difficulty in obtaining employment and for several years he worked in the hotel in Fairhaven. In 1892, when nineteen years of age, Mr. Ebeling became employed in one of the local meat shops and in 1895 he and his brother, William Ebeling, opened a meat shop of their own at 1109 Harris avenue. They were successful from the start and as the business expanded they extended their interests to include the proprietorship of two more meat shops, one in the Beck block and one on Twenty-first street. They carried on these three shops until 1903, when they sold out to Frey & Company and in 1904 Dietrich Ebeling became established in business at 1111 Harris avenue, and has since been quite successfully engaged in business there, his occupancy of this site now covering a period of more than twenty years and constituting him one of the real veterans in the commercial life of the city.
In 1901, in Bellingham, Mr. Ebeling was united in marriage to Miss Louise Richter, who was born in the village of Owen, on the Ohio river in Clark county, Indiana, and who, in 1900, came to Bellingham, where they have a pleasant home. They are republicans and have ever given proper attention to progressive movements of the community in which they so long have been established. Mr. Ebeling is a member of the Washington Club and of the Kulshan Club and is affiliated with the Knights of Pythias and the Benevolent Protective Order of Elks.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 731-732
Edmonds, J. M.
One of the progressive men of Whatcom county is J. M. Edmonds, whose persistent and aggressive efforts and excellent management have brought to him the prosperity which is today his. He has ever stood ready to do what he could in advancing the development of his locality and assuring agricultural prosperity in his vicinity, and his career has been such as to merit the high esteem in which he is uniformly held. Mr. Edmonds is a native of Gallatin county, Illinois, born on the 11th of June, 1864, and he is a son of J. I. and Molly (Pearce) Edmonds, the latter a native of Illinois. The father was born and reared in Tennessee, living in that state until 1861, when he moved to Illinois, where he became superintendent of a large farm, which position he held for three years. He was married in 1863, and soon afterward bought eighty acres of land, to the cultivation of which he applied himself until about 1888, when he retired from active labor and located in Norris City, that state, where he spent his remaining days, dying about 1900. His wife passed away in 1868. They were the parents of three children: J. M., T. M., who is a banker in Norris City, Illinois, and Ida May, who became the wife of Alex Jackson, and died in 1923, as the result of an automobile accident.
J. M. Edmonds received a good, practical education in the public schools of Illinois and remained at home until twenty years of age. He then went to work at railroading, which occupation he followed for three years, and for a similar period was employed at farm work. After his marriage, which occurred in 1891, he settled on an eighty-acre farm near Omaha, Illinois, to the cultivation of which he applied himself until December, 1904, when he went to Adams county, Washington, and bought a one-hundred-sixty-acre wheat farm. He operated that farm for about four and a half years, when he sold it and, coming to Whatcom county, bought twenty acres of land in Ferndale township, which he has developed into a fine home and from the operation of which he is enjoying a very gratifying financial return. He cultivates the land, raising mainly hay, potatoes and berries, and also keeps about three hundred hens. He is a man of sound judgment and up-to-date ideas and exercises sound discrimination in his management of the place. Mrs. Edmonds is an expert horticulturist and raises over a hundred different varieties of flowers. There is a large demand for them and she sells all she can raise, supplying the leading hotels and other business places in Bellingham with cut flowers daily.
On September 3, 1891, Mr. Edmonds was married to Mrs. Alice Bozarth Pearce, who was born in Gallatin county, Illinois, december 26, 1861, a daughter of Franklin P. and Lucretia (Pinnell) Bozarth, both natives of Kentucky. Mrs. Edmonds had been married February 29, 1880, to V. W. Pearce, who was born in White county, Illinois, December 29, 1854, and died January 29, 1889. They became the parents of five children: J. F., born in 1881; Mabel, born in 1883, now deceased; Ida E., born in 1885; Gertrude, born in 1889, now deceased, and V. W., born in 1888. Mr. and Mrs. Edmonds have three children: Gerald E., born in Illinois in 1892, and now living in Yakima county, Washington, is married and has two children, Lillian, born in 1917, and Lloyd, born in 1919; Lillian V., who is the wife of E. R. Jacobson, of Snoqualmie, King county, Washington, and the mother of five children, Wilma, Robert, Marian, Donald and Lois; and Winifred R., who is married and lives in Yakima county, Washington, and has a daughter, Beverley Jean. Mr. Edmonds' career had been characterized by duty faithfully performed, by a public-spirited interest in the welfare of his community and by his square dealing with his fellow men, traits which have won for him the confidence and good will of all who know him.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 605-606
Edward Edson was born in Hancock county, Iowa, August 30, 1860, living during his childhood with his parents in southwestern Iowa, southeastern Nebraska, northwestern Missouri, and northeastern Kansas, in the order named until 1873. In the spring of that year the family moved to a homestead claim in Smith county, Kansas. The subject of this sketch left Kansas in August, 1882, spending one year in Wyoming. In October, 1883, he landed at Whatcom, (now Bellingham) Washington, where he made his home until January, 1891, when he removed to Lynden, where he bought the pioneer drug store established by F. S. Wright in 1888. He has conducted the store up to the present time, (April 1926) taking in his son, Gale M. Edson, as a partner about four years ago, under the firm name of Edson & Edson.
It is not practicable to mention Mr. Edson's political and religious beliefs, as they are constantly being modified by what seems to be further knowledge. He feels that his sincere and unalterable opposition to war and militarism in any guise is a more worthwhile service to society than any other with which he might be credited.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pg. 708
A man who has stamped the
impress of his individuality upon the minds of the people with whom he has come in contact since coming to Whatcom
county is William Edwards, whose well improved farm is located in Lynden township. Faithfulness to duty and a strict
adherence to a fixed purpose have been dominating factors in his life, which has been crowned with success worthily
attained, and he has also gained the unbounded respect of his fellow citizens. Mr. Edwards was born in Lockport,
New York, in 1865, and is a son of
Javez Jabez and Rebecca (Harvey) Edwards, both of whom were
born in England, the father in 1835 and the mother in 1837. Both are now deceased, the father dying August 23,
1910, and the mother November 4, 1915. Jabez Edwards came to the United States in 1854, at the age of nineteen
years, in order to evade military service, and, stopping in New York, became a citizen of the United States. Eventually
he returned to England to be married, and on his return to this county again stopped in New York state, where he
engaged in farming. In 1866 he moved to Missouri, where he also engaged in farming. He bought a tract of wild railroad
land, which had to be cleared before it could be cultivated, and which was a dozen miles from the nearest neighbor.
There he created a good home and there he and his wife spent the remaining years of their lives, celebrating their
golden wedding anniversary before they passed away.
William Edwards secured a limited education in the district schools of his Missouri home neighborhood, including three months of attendance at summer school and four months of winter school. However, he has been a close and thoughtful reader all his life and a keen observer of men and events, so that today he is a well informed man. He remained on the home farm until he was twenty years of age, when he went to Colorado and for four years was engaged in the drayage and transfer business. While there he also preempted one hundred and sixty acres of land, which he later sold, and then returned to Missouri for a visit. He next went to Utah and engaged in mining at Park City, where he remained several years, and also mined for silver and lead at Sunnyside about four years. Leaving Utah, Mr. Edwards went to Wyoming, where for four years he mined for the Kemmerer Coal Company, after which he again paid a visit to his parents in Missouri. In 1902 Mr. Edwards came to Everson, Whatcom county, and engaged in logging, continuing that line of work about three years. He then rented a farm in Lynden township, which he operated for seven years, at the of which time, in 1911, he bought his present fine farm of forty acres in Lynden township, and has since devoted himself indefatigably to its improvement and cultivation. When he secured the land it was uncleared, but he now has about thirty acres of it cleared and the remainder slashed. He is giving his attention mainly to dairy farming, keeping fifteen good grade cows, of the Guernsey breed, and is constantly improving the grade. He raises his own roughage and some grain, and is operating his place along up-to-date lines, meeting with well deserved success.
In 1905 Mr. Edward was married to Miss Emma Roberts, who was born in Utah, a daughter of George and Maria N. (Dallimore) Roberts. Her father was born at Grantham, England, September 10, 1848, and came to the United States when sixteen years of age. He was located at Rock Springs, Wyoming, for a time but is now living in Utah. He was a blacksmith during his active career and worked for the mines there for many years. He was a blacksmith during his active career and worked for the mines there for many years. His wife was both at Bath, England, January 29, 1847, and her marriage to Mr. Roberts occurred at Salt Lake City, October 11, 1868. To Mr. and Mrs. Edward have been born four children: Fae, Mary, Harmon and Audrey. Fraternally Mr. Edwards is a member of the Free and Accepted Masons. He is a member of the Whatcom County Dairymen's Association and has served as road overseer of his district. Because of his success and his splendid personal character, as well as his genial disposition, he has won a high place in the esteem and good will of the people of his community.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 933-934
Ege, H. F.
Clearly defined purpose and consecutive effort in the affairs of life will inevitably result in the attaining of a due measure of success, and in tracing the career of one who has attained success solely through his own efforts there comes into view the intrinsic individuality which made such accomplishment possible, while there is at the same time enkindled a feeling of respect and admiration. The qualities which have made H. F. Ege one of the prominent and successful men of Lynden township have also brought him the esteem of his fellowmen, for his career has been one of well directed energy, strong determination and honorable methods. Mr. Ege was born in Rock Island county, Illinois, in 1867, and is a son of P. D. and Charity (Marshall) Ege, the former of whom was a native of New Jersey and a farmer by vocation. The latter, who was a native of Rock Island county, was a cousin of John Marshall, the discoverer of gold in California.
H. F. Ege received his education in the public schools of Rock Island county and was reared to the life of a farmer, remaining with his parents until they died, at which time he was about thirty years of age. He then went to Canada, where for about six months he was employed running a steam plow. He next went to Iowa, where he was engaged in farming for about a year, at the end of which time went to the vicinity of Laramie, Wyoming, where he worked on big cattle ranches. He also took charge of a fire engine in Laramie about a year, having had practical experience with various types of engines. In 1912 he came to Goshen, Washington, where he was employed as a farm hand until 1914, when he bought his present farm of eighteen acres. The land was heavily covered with timber and brush and a vast amount of hard work was necessary in order to get it in shape for cultivation, but he now has about seven acres cleared and under the plow, while the remainder is good pasture land. He has confined his attention largely to the chicken business, keeping about twelve hundred White Leghorn hens, of the Hollywood strain, and ships an average of eight to ten cases of eggs a week, having run as high as twenty-one cases in a week. Mr. Ege knew nothing about the chicken business when he came here, but he has been a keen observer of up-to-date methods and has done a good deal of experimental work on his own account, the result being that he has devised a method of his own as to feeding, in order to secure the best results in egg production. He raises all his own feed and keeps his flocks in fine condition winter and summer. He has made a number of splendid improvements on his farm and now owns a very valuable and attractive property.
In 1915 Mr. Ege was married to Miss Mary Cavender, who was born in Kansas, a daughter of Marion Cavender, who brought his family to Whatcom county about 1888. To Mr. and Mrs. Ege has been born a son, Harrison, who is now attending school. Mr. Ege is a member of the Whatcom County Poultry Association. He is deeply interested in everything pertaining to the progress and welfare of the community and stands on the right side of every moral issue. He has won and retains the unbounded respect and confidence of the entire community, because of his energetic methods, sound business judgment and splendid personality.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 421-422
For forty years Henry Egley has been closely identified with the development and improvement of Whatcom county, during which time he has been rewarded with a very gratifying measure of prosperity, while at the same time he has consistently striven to work hand in hand with his fellow citizens in all efforts to advance the general welfare of the locality. He was born in Switzerland in 1853 and is a son of Christian Henry and Frances (Leaver) Egley, both of whom also were born in that country. Both are now deceased, the mother dying in Nashville, Tennessee, and the father in Lynden, Whatcom county, in 1902. The family came to the United States in 1869 and located on the Cumberland plateau with the Swiss colony, composed of fairly well-to-do families who had come from that country and settled together there. They cleared the land, built roads, established schools and made other improvements, spending practically all of their money, but they were too far from markets and the colony did not prove a success.
Henry Egley remained with his father and on the failure of the colony went with him to Colorado, and from there to California, whence, in 1885, they came to Lynden. Here both entered homesteads, the father taking up one hundred and sixty acres and our subject eighty acres, the former's entry being the land on which our subject now lives. The tract was heavily timbered, with a dense undergrowth, and the only entrance was over a poor trail. For a time it was necessary for them to pack all provisions in on their backs, but in 1886 the road to Lynden was opened, which made it possible to drive a team through. The father cleared about five acres of his land and our subject cleared about seven acres. When his father died Henry Egley moved onto the larger farm, selling his place when he had proved up on it, and he is now living in the old log house which his father built in 1892, it being the second house which he built on the tract. About thirty acres of the farm are now cleared and in cultivation and produce abundant crops of hay and grain. Mr. Egley keeps about twelve cows, and he has been very successful in his management of the place, on which he has made many good improvements.
In 1904 Mr. Egley was married to Miss Louise Johnson, who was born in Nova Scotia, a daughter of James William and Sophie (Marshall) Johnson. Her father was a native of Nova Scotia, though of English descent, while her mother was a native of South Carolina and a member of an old and prominent southern family. Mr. Egley has taken a deep interest in public affairs. In the early days he donated much of his time to the building of roads, thus contributing in a material way to the progress of the community. Wild animals were numerous when he came here, but owing to the heavy timber song birds were almost unknown. However, in later years, when the country became more open, the birds came back and are now plentiful. After a record marked by hard and unremitting toil, he can look back over a career well spent, in which duty has been conscientiously performed, knowing that he has the good will and hearty esteem of all who have come in contact with him, for he possesses to a marked degree those traits of character which commend a man to the favor of his fellowmen.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pg. 299
Ehlers, Henry C.
No name from the annals of the past in Whatcom county is more worthy of perpetuation on the pages of his county's history than is that of Henry C. Ehlers, whose death, which occurred May 2, 1924, was considered a distinct loss to the community which had been honored by his citizenship. He was a man of sterling character and forceful personality, a close reader and a deep thinker - a man of definite influence among those with whom he was brought in contact, and a man who at all times commanded the sincere respect of all who knew him. Mr. Ehlers was was a native of Germany, born on the 19th of November, 1853, and was a son of Frederick and Mary (Bennett) Ehlers, who spent their lives and died in that country.
Henry C. Ehlers attended the excellent public schools of his native land, where he remained until 1867, when he emigrated to the United States, landing at New York city. There he remained for three or four years, being employed as a clerk in a store, and during that period he acquired a quick command of the English language and mastered other studies by attending night school. In 1870 Mr. Ehlers made the trip across the continent to Sacramento, California, where for a few years he worked as a blacksmith and on farms. About 1873 he came to Washington, remaining in this state about a year and then went back to California, where he stayed but a short time. About 1880 he came to Whatcom county and took up a preemption claim to one hundred and sixty acres near Clearbrook, located on it and paid it out. In 1884 he sold that tract to his brother-in-law and took up a homestead of one hundred and sixty acres one mile west of Clearbrook, in section 6. He at once built a log house and bent his energies to the tremendous task of clearing the land. In 1894 he buildings were destroyed by the great forest fire of that year, but he immediately rebuilt them and continued to operate the farm until 1911, when he sold out and went to New York. After a stay of six months there, he returned to Whatcom county and bought one hundred and thirty-six acres of land at Glen Echo, two miles east of Everson. He remained there a few years and then sold out and bought twenty acres of land on the Boundary road, west of Clearbrook. Soon afterward he went to Alabama, where he remained about a year, and on his return to Whatcom county made his home near his son Fred until his death. He is survived by his widow, who now makes her home with her son James.
Mr. Ehlers was married, in August, 1885, to Miss Nancy Dobbs, who was born in Texas, a daughter of James and Ann (Easrus) Dobbs, both of whom were natives of the state of Arkansas. Mr. Dobbs was a pioneer settler in Texas, where he was successfully engaged in the stock business, running a big band of cattle. He was a resident of Texas from 1861 to 1883, when he went to Oklahoma and was engaged in farming until his death, which occurred in 1885. His wife passed away in January, 1861. To Mr. and Mrs. Ehlers were born four children, namely: Frederick, born May 12, 1886; James born October 15, 1887; John, who was born April 7, 1889, and died June 3, 1899; and Mrs. Laura Campbell. James Ehlers on thirty acres of the old homestead, which he and his mother own together. He is a high school graduate and is a thoroughly practical farmer, in which vocation he is meeting with splendid success. He pays considerable attention to dairying and raises excellent crops of hay, which he feeds to his own stock. He is also successful as a berry raiser, disposing of the fruit to canneries. He was married to Miss Adele Higginson and they are the parents of five children, namely: William, born June 6, 1914; Mary, born July 8, 1915; Arlene born December 10, 1917; Vera, born September 5, 1919; and Patricia, born March 17, 1924.
Henry C. Ehlers was a man of more than ordinary mental vigor. He was a deep student, especially of scientific subjects, and a few years before his death published a scientific work entitled, "The Mechanism of Nature," a work which in depth of thought and understanding of the forces of nature is considered to be twenty years ahead of its time. Though quiet and unassuming in manner, he nevertheless left an indelible impress on the minds of all with whom he came in contact, and his opinions were highly valued by those who had the privilege of intimate association with him. He was distinguished for his honesty, firmness of character and intelligence. A public-spirited citizen, he was ready at all times to use his means and influence for the promotion of the comfort and happiness of his fellowmen, and there was probably not another man in the vicinity in which he lived who was held in higher esteem by the people, regardless of sect, politics or profession. Measured by its accomplishment, its beneficence and its helpful optimism, the life of Mr. Ehlers had wide and emphatic significance, and his memory remains a blessed benediction on all who came within the range of his influence.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 478-481