Very little is known of this character of the early days around Lynden. He too, was a squawman, and his claim lay on the prairie east of present Lynden. He also was a leftover from the Fraser River Gold Rush, and returning disappointed, decided to bury the unfortunate past, and himself, in the depths of the forest among the Nooksack Indians. He probably came at the same time as Daniel McClanahan, and took for his wife a belle of the Nooksack Tribe. As far as known, they had no children, and no relatives of the husband were ever heard from.
A few months after my father had helped place the body of Daniel McClanahan in a split-cedar coffin and bury him in his orchard, he was called upon to perform the same sad services for Joe Emerling. He was buried near the graves of another white man and his Indian wife, who had died several years before I came to Lynden. I never learned the names of the two, but always thought they were relations of Emerling, since he took care of their graves until he died. The location of these graves was approximately where the Frank Landall place is today. Thus these three, of the very first white settlers of Lynden, are sleeping today in unknown and unmarked graves.
Skqee Mus, R. E. Hawley, pub. 1945, pgs. 1726-177
Engdahl, J. A.
To write the personal records of men who have raised themselves from humble circumstances to positions of independence and responsibility in a community is no ordinary pleasure. Self-made men who have achieved success by reason of their personal qualities and have left the impress of their individuality upon the progress and growth of their place of residence, affecting for good such institutions as are embraced within the sphere of their usefulness, unwittingly, perhaps, build monuments more enduring than marble obelisk or granite shaft. In this group unquestionably belongs the gentleman whose name appears above and who has long been accorded a place in the front rank of the representative men of his section of the county.
J. A. Engdahl was born in Kansas in 1878 and is a son of John A. and Christina (Nelson) Engdahl, both of whom were natives of Sweden, the father having been born and reared in Stockholm. The latter came to the United States in young manhood and located in Kansas, where he grew to manhood and met and married Miss Nelson. Our subject remained in Kansas until he was about nine years of age, when he accompanied the family to Seattle, Washington. From that time he has practically made his own way, his first employment being as a newsboy in Seattle. He had secured a fair education in the public schools of his native state and was accustomed to farm work. His father died while they were living in Seattle, and in 1892 he and his mother came to Ten Mile, where they settled on a small farm. His mother later became the wife of M. J. Miller, but is now deceased. When he was twenty years of age he bought his present place of one hundred and twenty acres, it having been the old John Anderson homestead. He started out on his own account with practically nothing, and on this land which he bought no improvements had been made. At that time the Guide Meridian road had not been opened and the East-West road was only a trail, while a trip to Bellingham and back required a full day. In those days his principal income was from shingle bolts and timber, and he cut and hauled many logs to the mill for two and a half dollars a thousand feet, delivered. After he had the timber sufficiently cleared from the land, he engaged in general farming and dairying, and now keeps a nice herd of good grade Jersey milk cows. All of the land is now cleared excepting about ten acres, which is devoted to pasturage. He also keeps a good run of laying hens, in the handling of which he has met with splendid success, and he is planning to engage in fruit and berry raising. His farm is well improved in every respect, and Mr. Engdahl is reaping the fruits of his former years of toil and earnest endeavor. He has always been a hard-working man. In his younger days in Seattle he was employed on construction work for seven years.
In 1905 Mr. Engdahl was married to Miss Maude Boldue, who died in 1906, leaving a son, George, who is now a student in the State Normal School at Bellingham. In 1914 Mr. Engdahl was married to Miss Luella Constant, who was born in Illinois, a daughter of E. B. and Louisa (Scott) Constant, both of whom were natives of that state and who came to Whatcom county in December, 1896. To Mr. and Mrs. Engdahl has been born a daughter, Frances, who is now attending public school. Mr. Engdahl is a member of the Whatcom County Poultry Association. In all that constitutes true citizenship he has been a good example, and he stands high in the esteem and confidence of the circles in which he moves. His career has been characterized by duty well performed, by faithfulness to every trust reposed in him, and by industry, thrift and wisely directed efforts, which has resulted in his acquisition of a liberal share of this world's goods, besides earning an enviable reputation for upright character and public spirit.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 267-268
Erb, Carl M.; M.D.
Dr. Carl M. Erb, one of the well known physicians of northwestern Washington, has utilized every opportunity to perfect himself in his chosen calling and for more than twenty years has practiced successfully in Bellingham. A native of Michigan, he was born March 14, 1880, and is a son of Henry and Sarah Erb, both deceased. His higher education was received in the University of Michigan, from which he received the M. D. degree in 1902, and for a year was a intern in a hospital at Ann Arbor. He began his professional career at Bear Lake, Michigan, where he spent two years, and then took a course of study in New York city. He opened an office at Bellingham in 1905 and has since specialized in diseases of the eye, ear, nose and throat. He has devoted much time to postgraduate work and has a comprehensive understanding of these branches of the profession. He has been very successful in his combat with disease and time has ripened his ability, bringing him a large practice.
In 1920 Dr. Erb was united in marriage to Miss Mable McCombs, of Bellingham. He is a thirty-second degree Mason and a Noble of the Mystic Shrine, and in 1913 served as master of the blue lodge at Bellingham. He is liberal in his political views and never supports a candidate unless firmly convinced of his qualifications for the office. He finds diversion in aquatic sports and is commodore of the Bellingham Yacht Club, which he aided in organizing in March, 1925. He is the owner of a fine yacht, named the Thetis, which was formerly rigged out as a sloop and was used on Long Island Sound as an auxiliary sailboat. It is fifty by fifteen feet in dimensions and has ample accommodations for forty persons. Dr. Erb brought the boat from New York to Bellingham bay under its own power and devoted eight months to the trip, which was made during 1923-24. He stands high in his profession and keeps in close touch with the achievements of science through his affiliation with the Whatcom County and Washington State Medical Societies and the American Medical Association. The Doctor enjoys the social side of life and has a wide circle of friends, whose esteem he has won and retained by his magnetic personality and intrinsic worth.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pg. 660
The late Charles Erholm, one Bellingham's most useful and progressive citizens and widely known in northwestern Washington, was the founder of the Pacific Steam Laundry on Ellis street and had been continuously engaged in the laundry business for thirty-seven years when death terminated his labors. His birth occurred in Aland, Finland, on the 25th of September, 1868, his parents being John and Maria (Lindell) Erholm, who also were natives of that country. The father was a sea captain and sailed for years on the briny deep.
Charles Erholm was reared and educated in Finland, attending the public schools. Yielding to the lure of the new world, he crossed the Atlantic and in 1886 reached Merrill, Wisconsin, in company with his oldest brother, John. In the fall of 1887 he arrived in Seattle, Washington, and at once sought employment, working for two years in that city. In 1889 Mr. Erholm came to Sehome, now a part of Bellingham, and in the spring of that year joined Olaf Udness in a business project, opening a hand laundry in a basement. In the fall of 1889 they started the Pacific Steam Laundry, the first of the kind in Whatcom county. They secured a small building, two stories in height, and began business with ten employees. In the spring of 1908 Mr. Udness entered the Northwestern National Bank, selling his interest in the laundry to Mr. Erholm, who controlled the business throughout the remainder of his life. He remodeled the building, which now has a frontage of two hundred and forty feet on Ellis street and extends to Franklin street in the rear. The property includes nine lots, each forty by one hundred and twenty-five feet in dimensions. Mr. Erholm installed the latest machinery in the laundry, which is operated by electric power, individual motors being used. He constantly added improvements to the building until his became one of the best equipped plants in northwestern Washington. He had five delivery routes and used the Dodge, Nash and Ford cars for this purpose. The plant now furnishes work to about sixty persons and the payroll amounts to fifty-seven thousand dollars per year. Mr. Erholm was just and considerate in his treatment of those who served him and nine of his employees have been connected with the business for two hundred and nine years collectively, averaging more than twenty-seven years each. The business has increased from year to year, keeping pace with the growth of the district, and in 1924 the laundry cleaned eighteen thousand curtains. In its operation Mr. Erholm displayed notable foresight as well as superior executive ability, and the quality of service rendered to patrons is indicated by the fact that the firm has retained many of its customers for a period of thirty years.
On June 11, 1892, Mr. Erholm was married in Bellingham to Miss Elise Sviberg, also a native of Finland and a former schoolmate. They became the parents of three children: Casper Uno, manager of the Pacific Steam Laundry; Thelma Elizabeth, who is a graduate of Head's School of Berkeley, California, and assisted her father in the conduct of the business; and Geneva Lenora, who is attending school.
Mr. Erholm was a trustee of the Whatcom Building & Loan Association, to which his name lent prestige, and belonged to the Bellingham Chamber of Commerce and the Rotary Club. He held membership in the National and State Laundry Owners Association and fraternally was identified with Bellingham Lodge, No. 194, of the Benevolent Protective Order of Elks. His religious faith was indicated by his membership in the Bethlehem Lutheran church. A republican in his political views, he took a very active interest in the welfare and advancement of Bellingham, and his cooperation was felt as a potent factor in the city's progress. Mr. Erholm was in the fifty-eighth year of his age when called to his final rest on the 18th of February, 1926, and in his passing Bellingham sustained the loss of a good citizen and a business man of the highest integrity, who had fought and won in the great battle of life.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 154-157
Erickson, Andrew G.
For more than twenty-five years Andrew G. Erickson has resided on his well kept place in Mountain View township, and he is recognized as one of the pioneers of that section of Whatcom county, for when he settled on his first "forty" there in the Ferndale neighborhood in the closing year of the past century no established roads were laid out in that region and but little clearing had been done. He thus is one of the men who helped clear the land here and bring it under cultivation, having been active in the development of this region from its primeval state, and he is thoroughly acquainted with conditions prevailing in that section of the county, for he has watched the gradual building up of the locality.
Mr. Erickson is a native of Sweden but has been a resident of this country since the days of his young manhood. He was born November 3, 1865, and his parents were named Eric and Anna, the latter having been a daughter of Anders. Born and reared on a farm, A. G. Erickson attended the schools of his home community and grew up familiar with the ways of farming in his native land, also becoming an experienced timberman. In 1890 when in his twenty-fifth year, he came to America and proceeded out to Washington, locating at Bellingham in that same year. He became connected with the operations of the lumber mills there and was thus engaged until two or three years after his marriage in 1896, when he established himself on his present place in Mountain View township, where he has since made his home. The well built modern house in which Mr. Erickson and his family now live is partly made up of the original house erected there when he and his wife settled on the place in 1898 and which was included in the plans for rebuilding when his present up-to-date dwelling was erected. Upon settling there Mr. Erickson bought a tract of forty acres of uncleared land and began the arduous task of clearing and improving it. He later bought an adjoining "forty" and thus now has a well kept place of eighty acres, on which he is quite successfully carrying on general farming and dairying, and he also has a good orchard of prunes, cherries and apples. Mr. Erickson is a member of the Whatcom County Dairy Association. He has ever given a good citizen's attention to local civic affairs and served for some time as a member of the local school board.
In 1896, at Bellingham, Mr. Erickson was united in marriage to Miss Tilda Klingberg, who also was born in Sweden and who was about fifteen years of age when she came to this country with her parents, the family settling in South Dakota. She came to Bellingham in 1896, the year of her marriage. Mrs. Erickson died in December, 1911. She was the mother of three children, the first born of whom, Ellen May, died when seven years of age. The other two, Carl Harold and Bernice Elvera, remain with their father on the home farm and are helpful factors in the continued development and improvement of the place. The Ericksons reside on rural mail route No. 3 out of Ferndale and are very comfortably situated.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 43-44
Few citizens of the western part of Whatcom county are more widely or favorably known than is Andrew Erickson, who after a long and honorable career as a farmer is now practically retired from business affairs. His life has become a part of the history of the community in which he has made his home for many years, and his long and honorable business career has brought him before the public in such a way as to gain for him the esteem and confidence of his fellowmen. Keen perception, tireless energy and honesty of purpose, combined with mature judgment and every-day common sense, have been among his most prominent characteristics, and while laboring for individual success and for the material interests of the community he has also been not unmindful of the moral welfare of the people among whom he has mingled.
Mr. Erickson is a native of Norway, his birth having occurred in 1863, and he is a son of Eric and Karen Erickson, both of whom lived and died in their native land. They were the parents of three children: Ole and Michael, both deceased, and Andrew. The last named received a good, practical education in the public schools of his home neighborhood and then for five years was employed as a clerk in a store. In 1881, desiring a field of better opportunity for personal advancement, he came to the United States, locating in Minnesota, where he lived for six years. In 1887 Mr. Erickson came to Washington, stopping first at Tacoma and then going to Puyallup, where for three years he was employed in the hop yards. He then went to Snohomish county, Washington, and bought fifty-five acres of land, seven miles north of Marysville, and at once applied himself to the pioneer's task of clearing his land, which was covered with heavy timber. He built a comfortable house, developed the place into a valuable farm and lived there until 1908, when he sold it and, coming to Everson, Whatcom county, bought forty acres of land one mile northwest of Everson. This land was partly cleared, and he carried on the clearing and improvement of the place until 1912, when he sold it and bought fifty-five acres southeast of Nooksack, part of which he cleared, selling it in 1919. He then bought one and a half acres of land located about a mile and a half due east of Everson, on which he built a nice, modern home, and here he is now living in comfortable retirement, enjoying that leisure which is his just due after his many years of hard and unremitting toil.
Mr. Erickson has proven himself a true and loyal citizen of his adopted country and has taken a commendable interest in the public affairs of his community. In 1918 he was elected township supervisor and is a member of that board at the present time, having served as its chairman for three years. Politically he gives his support to the republican party and takes a firm stand for all that is best and most elevating in community life. A man of fine character and forceful personality, he has long wielded a beneficent influence in his community and has won and retained the unbounded respect and confidence of his fellow citizens.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 321-322
From an early period in our national history to the present time the people of Sweden have been coming to the United States and have been quick to seize the opportunities that have existed here for the strong of heart and hand. They have proved to be among our very best foreign born citizens, being not only thrifty and industrious but true to our institutions, loyal in their support of the government and possessing the essential qualifications of good citizenship. Among the sons of Sweden who have contributed of their efforts to the development of Whatcom county stands Andrew Erickson, who after a life of indefatigable industry and good business management is now practically retired from active affairs and is spending his years in honorable leisure in his comfortable home in Ferndale township.
Mr. Erickson was born in Sweden on the 29th of September, 1863, and is a son of Eric and Lica (Larson) Erickson, both of whom also were natives of that country, where they spent their entire lives. Our subject attended the schools of his native land, and he came to this country in 1893, settling in Iowa, where he remained about two years, going from there to Los Angeles, California, where he lived for about the same length of time. In 1897 he came to Whatcom county and for two years was employed in the timber. He then bought forty acres of land in Ferndale township, twenty-five acres of which he cleared. He later sold half of the land and in 1909 bought ten acres across the road from his original tract. This he cleared, and he now owns thirty acres of splendid, well cultivated land. By the exercise of sound judgment in all of his operations and through the hardest sort of labor over a period of years he gained a fine measure of success. He eventually built a comfortable and attractive home on the ten acre tract, leased the other land to his son and is now enjoying a much deserved rest. During his active years he kept five cows and about nine hundred hens, while fifteen acres of the original tract were under the plow. He has been a good business man, keen and sagacious, though never to the point of questionable dealing, all of his transactions being according to the highest code of honor. Because of his success and his splendid personal character he holds an enviable place in the confidence and regard of all who know him.
In 1895 Mr. Erickson was married to Miss Lizzie Headbom, who was born in Sweden, a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Carl Headbom, both of whom were born and reared in that country, where they passed away. Mr. and Mrs. Erickson are the parents of two children: Emel, who operates his father's farm, is a native of Whatcom county, as is his wife, who was formerly Miss Dorothy Smith. The daughter, Mrs. Clara LaBounty, has a son John R.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 905-906
Erickson, Charles E.
In his business career Charles E. Erickson has made each day count for the utmost, improving the opportunities of the hour and thus advancing steadily until he is now numbered among the foremost business men of Ferndale. A native of Sweden, he was born August 13, 1870, and was reared and educated in that country. In 1890, when a young man of twenty, he responded to the call of adventure and came to the United States, first locating in Michigan, in which state he lived for one and a half years. He next went to Illinois and spent eight years in the city of Chicago, afterward visiting other states of the middle west.
In 1902 Mr. Erickson started for Washington and for several years was employed in the Ferndale lumber mill of Pierson Brothers, becoming well acquainted with the business. He was also employed by other firms and in February, 1921, embarked upon an independent venture, forming the Farmers Lumber Company, of which he has since been the president. The firm carries a full stock of lumber and building material and under the expert direction of its executive head the business has made rapid strides. Mr. Erickson is alert to every new avenue opened in the natural ramifications of the trade, and his clear and farseeing brain is constantly devising new plants for the expansion of the industry.
Mr. Erickson is affiliated with the Swedish Baptist church and is nonpartisan in his political views, regarding the qualifications of a candidate as a matter of first importance. He has ever realized the fact that true commercialism rests upon the foundation of integrity and in the conduct of his business is guided by high ideals of service. Strong and purposeful, his efforts have been directed along steadily broadening lines of greater usefulness, and his record proves that merit and ability will always come to the front.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pg. 704
Dan Erickson, a Bellingham machinist and proprietor of what is regarded as the largest and best equipped machine shop in the state north of Seattle, has been hee for almost a quarter of a century and is widely known in industrial circles throughout this region. Though of European birth, Mr. Erickson has been a resident of this country since the days of his boyhood and is thus thoroughly familiar with conditions here. He was born in the kingdom of Norway, September 28, 1886, and is a son of Dehart and Johanna Erickson, the former deceased, the latter still living in her native land.
Reared in his native place, Dan Erickson was early trained in the rudiments of the iron industry and when he came to Bellingham in 1903, when seventeen years of age, he had a pretty fair knowledge of the iron worker's trade and was a good apprentice blacksmith. Mr. Erickson had no difficulty in finding employment and for six or seven years worked in the plant of the Lake Whatcom Logging Company. In 1910 he was given a responsible position in charge of the mechanical operations of the Russian Cement Company at Anacortes and two years later, in 1912, returned to Bellingham and opened a general blacksmith and machine shop at 1000 C street, where he since has been located and where he has developed the largest machine shop in the state north of Seattle. This establishment is equipped for any sort of heavy blacksmith work, forging and machine milling, and occupies a building with a frontage of seventy-five feet and depth of two hundred and eight feet, and has its own dock and railway siding. The machines are electrically driven and the equipment includes the latest designs in lathes, trip hammers and the like, one of the units in this equipment being a forty-two ton lathe of thirty-eight horse power force, with a fifty-three inch radius and a length of forty feet. Another unit of the equipment is a three hundred ton hydraulic press, and there are also air compressors, electric welding machines and other adjuncts. In fact everything necessary for general repair and custom work required in the local industries, from locomotive and steamboat repairs to the lighter demands in machine readjustment, is here found and the forges have a capacity to cast car wheels and axles. Mr. Erickson has built up his plant as the growing demand for service in his line has required and his equipment is up-to-date and efficient, while the output, under his experienced direction, meets the exacting standards required in modern industry.
In 1908 Mr. Erickson was united in marriage to Miss Alveda Nelson, who was born in Norway, and they have four children, Lilly, Ralph, Johanna and Dehart. Mr. and Mrs. Erickson are republicans and he is a member of Eagle Lodge No. 31, B. P. O. E., of Bellingham.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 756-757
With the courage to dare and the will to do, Oscar Erickson has proven his ability to cope with conditions in a country far removed from the land of his birth and is now numbered among the prosperous agriculturists of Lawrence township. He was born July 3, 1884, and is a native of Finland. His parents were Semon and Maria Erickson, the latter of whom still resides in Finland, but the father has passed away.
Oscar Erickson came to the United States in 1904, when a young man of twenty, and first located in the middle west, spending three years in Illinois. In 1906 he came to Whatcom county and purchased a tract of thirty acres in Lawrence township. He has enriched the soil by scientific methods and is engaged in general farming. He raises fine varieties of berries and finds a ready market for his produce. He has a well equipped dairy and is also engaged in the poultry business. Mr. Erickson has built a good house and barn and his place presents a neat and well kept appearance. He possesses a studious nature and is well informed on everything pertaining to his line of work.
In 1908 Mr. Erickson married Miss Sanna Luanna and to their union were born four children, one of whom died in infancy. The others are: Helge, Esther and Lina. Mr. Erickson is a member of the Whatcom County Poultrymen's Association and in politics follows and independent course, voting according to the dictates of his judgment. He is deserving of much credit for what he has accomplished and may well be proud of his farm. It is one of the best in the district and contains a flowing gas well, which was discovered in 1924 and which is now used for home fuel. Mr. Erickson is deeply attached to the country of his adoption and a large circle of sincere friends is evidence of his personal popularity.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pg. 506
The best history of a community is that which deals with the lives and activities of the men through whose efforts the locality has been developed and improved, especially those who by their enterprise and progressive methods have forged to the front and have been successful in their individual affairs. Among this class in Whatcom county should be included Gust Erikson, one of the best known citizens of Park township, where he is the owner of a fine farm. He was born in Sweden in 1887 and is a son of John Gustave and Annie (Ransfeldt) Erikson, neither of whom ever left their native land, the father being now deceased.
Gust Erikson attended school in his native land, where he remained until 1906, when, at the age of nineteen years, he came to the United States. He came direct to Whatcom county, stopping first in Bellingham for a short time, and then went to Blue Canyon, where he obtained employment in the coal mines, working there almost twenty years. Meanwhile, in March, 1910, he bought his present home place, comprising one hundred and twenty-eight acres of good land, and the clearing of this tract he applied himself when not employed in the mines. When the mines played out and were shut down, Mr. Erikson devoted his entire attention to his ranch, and he has made considerable progress in its improvement and development. When he bought the place about one and a half acres were cleared, but he now has some fifteen acres cleared and in cultivation. He has erected all the buildings on the place excepting the house and has made many other permanent and substantial improvements, developing a valuable and desirable farm. He gives considerable attention to dairy farming, keeping a number of good grade milk cows, and also raises chickens and hogs. He has a nice orchard, now in full bearing, and also has a good berry patch.
On October 22, 1910, Mr. Erikson was married to Miss Regina Olson, who was born in Minnesota, a daughter of Andrew and Olive (Rolfshus) Olson, the former of whom was born in Norway and now lives at Lake Whatcom, while the latter, who was born in Iowa died in 1893. The father came to the United States in 1873, when fifteen years of age, and first located in Wisconsin, where he was employed at various occupations. In 1878 he went to Minnesota, where he remained until 1903, when he came to Whatcom county. He first located at Bellingham, but now, as above stated, lives at Lake Whatcom, where he is engaged in farming. To Mr. and Mrs. Erikson have been born three children: John, Louise and Marion, all of whom were born on the present home place. Mr. Erikson's ability and enterprise were long ago recognized and appreciated by his fellow citizens, among whom he has enjoyed an excellent reputation. He served for seven years as a member of the township board of supervisors and was road boss for one year, the road around the south end of the lake being constructed under his supervision. When he first came here there were no roads, and he was compelled to row to and from the Blue Canyon mine. Fraternally he is a member of the Blue Canyon Lodge, No. 182, Independent Order of Odd Fellows, and is also a member of the Whatcom County Dairymen's Association. Although a quiet and unassuming man, he possesses a forceful personality, and he has contributed in a very definite degree to the material and civic advancement of the community, while his admirable qualities of head and heart and the straightforward, upright course of his daily life have won for him the unbounded esteem and confidence of all who know him.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 619-620
Estergreen, A. E.
It is hard to find in our cosmopolitan population people of better habits of life than those who come from the Scandinavian countries, particularly from Sweden. These people are distinguished for their thrift, industry, patriotism and honesty, qualities which make them very desirable citizens of our country. From this splendid race comes the subject of this sketch, who was born in Sweden on the 5th of May, 1860, a son of Olaf and Brittalena Johnson, both also natives of that country. Olaf Johnson became a sailor on the high seas, and in 1848, at about the time gold was discovered in California, his ship put in at San Francisco. With the hope of finding his fortune, he left his ship and went to the gold mines, spending eight years in his search for the yellow metal. Before going to the mines he had taken up a claim where the city of Alameda is now located but during his absence his claim was jumped by Spaniards. On returning from the mines, where he had met with fair success, he and his brother John bought a sloop and engaged in freighting on the Sacramento river between Stockton and San Francisco. Eventually he returned to his native land, where he bought a farm and there lived until his death, which occurred in 1896. To him and his wife, who also is deceased, were born eight children, six of whom are living. One of our subject's grandfathers fought in the battle of Waterloo on the side of the English.
A. E. Estergreen secured a good education in the schools of his native land and remained at home until 1882, when he emigrated to the United States, coming direct to Seattle, Washington, where he remained about a year. He then went to Ustaladdy, Island county, where he was employed about a year in a sawmill. In February, 1884, he came to Clearbrook, Whatcom county, and took up a homestead of one hundred and sixty acres, three miles west of Sumas. He first built a small log cabin, after which he engaged in the task of clearing the land. Eventually he succeeded in creating here a fine farm, and he has made his home here continuously to the present time. He has sold part of the land, his farm now comprising seventy acres of fine, fertile soil, thirty-five acres of which are in cultivation, the remainder being in pasture. He keeps fifteen good grade milk cows and a registered Guernsey bull. His main crops are hay and grain, and he raises enough corn to fill his silo, also raising beans and berries for the cannery. He has managed the operation of the farm so that all departments of his work show a satisfactory profit, and he is now very comfortably situated. In 1913 Mr. Estergreen built a comfortable home, as well as a barn and a silo. He also keeps a number of laying hens, generally between four hundred and five hundred in number, for which he has built nice houses. He is a practical and up-to-date farmer, is indefatigable in his industry and does thoroughly and well whatever he undertakes.
In June, 1892, Mr. Estergreen was married to Miss Alma S. Loreen, who was born in Sweden, a daughter of Bengt Loren and Anna Swenson, both of whom spent their lives in their native country, where the father followed farming. They were the parents of eight children, four of whom died in infancy, the others being: Malcom, who died in 1912; Alma, the wife of our subject; Carl, who is represented by a personal sketch on other pages of this work; and Leonard, who lives at Clearbrook, this county. Mrs. Estergreen came to the United States in 1883, locating in Chicago, where she remained until 1886, when she came to Seattle. After spending a year in that city, she came to Whatcom county, where she has lived continuously since. To Mr. and Mrs. Estergreen have been born four children, namely: Mrs. Myrtle Boyer, who is the mother of two sons, Jack and Larry; Oscar, deceased; Victor, who is married and has a daughter, Edith; and Clarence, who is a graduate of the Nooksack high school and is now a student in the State Agricultural College at Pullman.
Mr. Estergreen is a member of the Whatcom County Dairymen's Association and the Whatcom County Poultry Association. He has taken a deep interest in local public affairs and has rendered effective and appreciated service as a member of the school board and as road supervisor for five years. He is intensely loyal to all of the institutions of his adopted country and in every essential of good citizenship has been a splendid example. He has been successful in his individual affairs but has not permitted the accumulation of material things to interfere with his duties to his fellow citizens or the community, supporting every measure for the advancement of the public welfare. Kindly and generous, broadminded and charitable, he has attained and holds a high place in the confidence and esteem of all who know him.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 474-475
Estergreen, Joe P.
Among the citizens of the Nooksack valley, Whatcom county, who have built up a comfortable home and surrounded themselves with valuable personal property, few have attained great success or attained a higher place in the esteem of the community than has Joe P. Estergreen, one of the most public-spirited citizens of that locality. He is regarded as a good business man and an excellent manager - a man who possesses sound judgment and keen foresight - and believes in pressing forward, keeping the wheels of progress ever moving up the steeps. Mr. Estergreen is a native of Sweden, born on the 17th of September, 1856, and is a son of Olaf and Brittalena Johnson, both of whom also were natives of Sweden. His grandfather, Andre Janson, was a soldier in the Napoleonic war from 1812 to 1815. The father of Joe P. Estergreen was a sailor and in 1848 his ship put into San Francisco harbor. At about that time gold was discovered in California and Mr. Johnson left his ship and went to the gold mines, following mining for about eight years. He took up claims where the city of Alameda is now located, but he was absent at the mines so long that Spaniards jumped his claims. He and his brother John bought a sloop and engaged in freighting on the Sacramento river from Stockton to San Francisco. Later Mr. Johnson returned to Sweden and bought a farm, to the cultivation of which he devoted his remaining years, his death occurring in 1896. To him and his wife were born eight children, of whom six are living.
Joe P. Estergreen was educated in the public schools in his native land and also attended high school. For a short time he was employed as a bookkeeper and then, in 1880, came to the United States. He first located in Illinois, where he remained about two and one-half years, and then went to San Francisco, California, where he lived for six months. In 1882 he came to Seattle, Washington, and in February of the following year went to Island county, where he was employed on a farm until fall, when he came to the Nooksack valley, Whatcom county, and took up a preemption claim of one hundred and sixty acres, three and one-half miles west of Sumas. Here he built a small log house and began clearing the land. He lived there two years, paid out on the land and then took up a homestead of one hundred and sixty acres two and one-half miles west of Sumas, which was also covered with a dense growth of timber. He ran a bunch of cattle, and he cleared off about twenty-five acres of the land, creating a good home, and there lived until 1901, when he sold the place and moved to his other farm, to the clearing of which he directed his attention. Later he sold a part of that tract and now owns about seventy-five acres, thirty-two and one-half acres of which are cleared and in cultivation, his main crops being hay, grain and beans. He also has a nice berry patch, and keeps eight good milk cows. He has prospered in his operation of this place and is accounted one of the enterprising and successful farmers of the Nooksack valley. In 1900 Mr. Estergreen built a comfortable and attractive house and in 1920 he built a substantial and commodious barn.
On November 1, 1897, Mr. Estergreen was married to Miss Malena Johnson, who also was a native of Sweden, a daughter of Jens and Edna Swenson, both of whom spent their entire lives in that country. Mrs. Estergreen, who came to the United States in 1891, is one of four children born to her parents, the others being Nels, Nellie and Hannah. To Mr. and Mrs. Estergreen have been born four children, namely: Norman, who is a graduate of the Sumas high school and who is married; Francis M.; Grace, who was graduated from the Nooksack high school and the State Normal School at Bellingham and is now teaching school at Oak Harbor, Washington; and Elphie, who is now in high school. Norman Estergreen, the first named, enlisted for service in the World war at the age of eighteen years and was sent overseas to France, where he remained for seventeen months.
Mr. and Mrs. Estergreen are earnest members of the First Swedish Lutheran church of Clearbrook, to which they give generous support. Politically Mr. Estergreen has long been a supporter of the republican party and has served as delegate to state conventions of his party. He is a stanch advocate of improved roads and good schools and every measure for the betterment of the community along material, civic or moral lines receives his active support. He is a member of the Whatcom County Dairymen's Association. Because of his fine personal qualities and his ability he holds an enviable place in the confidence and esteem of all who know him.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 466-467
Everett, B. W.
Among the surviving pioneers of the Custer neighborhood in Whatcom county there are few who have a wider acquaintance than B. W. Everett, one of the original settlers in that neighborhood and for many years one of the foremost figures in the development of its general social, civic and agricultural conditions. When Mr. Everett took possession of his place just west of the village of Custer more than forty years ago, that region was wildwood and he had to clear his quarter section The township had not then been organized and when the time came to establish there a separate civic entity he took an influential part in that movement and was elected a member of the first board of township supervisors. He also helped to organize the first school district in the township and for many years rendered effective service as a member of the school board. When the roads were being "viewed" he was one of the chief personal factors in securing the establishment of the route of the Pacific highway through that section. In other ways he has done well his part in securing civic progress and his name has become an inseparable part of the annals of that flourishing neighborhood.
Mr. Everett is a Missourian by birth and is a member of one of the real pioneer families of that state, his grandfather having been among the original land entrants in Clinton County in the northwestern part of the state. Mr. Everett was born on a farm in Clinton County, March 15, 1855, and is a son of Johnson and Anna (Hankins) Everett, the latter a native of Ohio whose parents had become pioneers in Missouri, where she married. Johnson Everett was horn in Clinton County in 1822, a son of one of the original settlers there, the Everett's having been among those who took up government land in that county. He was reared to farming and in due time became a substantial farmer and landowner there. When gold was discovered in California he came to the coast, going overland in 1850 and remaining there until 1852. Johnson Everett, who spent his last days in Missouri, was twice married. By his first wife, Anna Hankins, he was the father of eight children and by his second wife was the father of seven children, so that in the present generation his descendants form a quite numerous family connection.
Reared on the home farm, B. W. Everett first attended a log schoolhouse, a relic of the pioneer days which was destroyed by fire while that first term of his was in progress. The new and better building that was erected to take its place was located on his father's farm, so that it was no very great task for him thereafter to attend school and he did well in his studies, becoming one of the most proficient pupils of that school. Mr. Everett remained with his father on the farm until he was nineteen years of age when, in 1874, he and three of his elder brothers took a trip to Colorado, "looking around" in the Colorado Spring- district and worked at common labor. Eighteen months later he returned home and when he had attained his majority he and his next elder brother rented the home place from their father and began farming on their own account. In that year (1876) he married and settled on one of his father's farms and was engaged in farming there until in the spring of 1882 when he closed out his interests in Missouri and with his family came to the coast country, driving a mule team, his objective being Ashland, Oregon, the trip consuming three months and twenty days.
Upon his arrival in Ashland Mr. Everett engaged in teaming, his faithful mules being none the worse for their long trip, freighting from the railhead at Glendale to Ashland for a year or more. He then drove with a four mule team to Cloverdale, California, where he became employed as a carpenter and also developed a profitable little chicken ranch. Three years later he "pulled up stakes" there and went to San Francisco, thence by boat to Seattle, on to Whatcom and with the mail carrier, to Ferndale. That was in the fall of 1885 and ever since, a period of more than forty years, Mr. Everett has been a useful resident of this county. His brother, J. T. Everett, had located in the Custer neighborhood in the spring of 1884 and it was on the latter's representations that good land was obtainable here that B. W. Everett came into the country, a choice of location he never has had occasion to regret. He bought the homestead rights to the quarter section on which he is now living, and settled down to clear and improve the place, on which at that time there was but the homesteader's log cabin and a bit of clearing surrounding it. In the next year he built the house in which he now resides and with alterations and additions as growing needs required this house has ever since been his dwelling place. Some time ago Mr. Everett sold half of his quarter section to his brother and now has eighty acres, ample for his dairying operations. He is a member of the Whatcom County Dairy Association, has a good dairy herd and is doing well.
It was on October 19, 1876, in Clinton County, Missouri, that Mr. Everett was united in marriage to Miss Mary H. Irvine and they are now preparing to celebrate their golden wedding an event to which their hosts of friends throughout the county will bring their most earnest congratulations and felicitations. Mrs. Everett was born and reared in Buchanan County, Missouri. Her parents, Hugh W. and Mary C. (Wise) Irvine, were Virginians, both members of old colonial families in the Old Dominion, and they eloped to Maryland to be married, later settling in northwestern Missouri, where H. W. Irvine became an extensive planter, carrying on operations on a large scale in Saline county. He was one of the California '49ers and was for two years engaged in prospecting for gold in the "diggings," but in 1851 returned to Missouri and there both he and his wife spent their last days. They were the parents of eleven children, of whom nine grew to maturity. To Mr. and Mrs. Everett five children have been born, namely: Ina Edith, who died when fifteen months old; Lora Maude, who married W. S. Shumway, now living at Omak, Washington, and has seven children; Ira Fletcher, who married Nettie Wright and is now living in Portland; Lester H., of Pateros, Washington, who married Estelle McClure and has two children; and Guy E., of Omak, Washington, who married Fannie Webb, and has one child.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 409-410