Fairburn, William W.
William W. Fairburn, president and manager of the Tulip Creamery Company of Bellingham, producers of the widely known and popular "Tulip" brand of dairy products, ice cream, butter and the like, is a native of the old Hawkeye state, born on a farm in Davis county, Iowa, April 7, 1879, and he is a son of William and Mary (Smock) Fairburn, who came to Washington in 1898 and here spent the remainder of their lives.
William W. Fairburn was reared to farming and stock raising and finished his education in a business college. In 1895, when sixteen years of age, he went to Idaho, where he was for several years employed in the mines and on cattle ranges, and in 1899, his parents meanwhile having come to Washington, he disposed of such interests as he had acquired in Idaho and came to this state, with a view to becoming engaged in the live stock business at Everett. Two years later, in 1901, he came to Bellingham and here was placed in charge of the grocery department of The Fair store. Not long afterward he went to Spokane and there became the manager of the Ridpath Hotel. Three years later he engaged in the hotel business on his own account at Toppenish but presently disposed of his hotel there and took over a hotel at Snohomish. He subsequently traded that hotel for some cattle and resumed to the live stock business, a line he followed until 1914, when he returned to Bellingham and was installed as assistant to the manager of the Royal dairy, in charge of the production end of that business. In April, 1921, Mr. Fairburn promoted the organization of the Tulip Creamery Company, was elected president and treasurer of the concern and became general manager of the plant, with Roy Staunton as vice president and O. M. Shepard as secretary. This company was started with a capitalization of ten thousand dollars and has been developed until now it owns a building for which it has refused fifty-five thousand dollars, and it has besides an equipment valued at an additional thirty-five thousand dollars. This equipment includes an up-to-date ice plant and a well established retail store. The bulk of the business, however, is conducted on a wholesale basis. The popularity of the "Tulip" brand of ice cream, butter and kindred products turned out at the plant of the Tulip Creamery Company bespeaks in unmistakable terms the high standard of the operations carried on there under Mr. Fairburn's direction, and the demand for these products is a continually growing one.
In 1902, at Everett, Mr. Fairburn was united in marriage to Miss Pearl Rickard, a daughter of L. Rickard of that place, and they have a daughter, Miss Shirley Fairburn. Mr. and Mrs. Fairburn are republicans and have ever been attentive to local civic affairs. Mr. Fairburn is an active and influential member of the Bellingham Chamber of Commerce and of the Kiwanis Club, is a Scottish Rite Thirty-second degree Mason and is also affiliated with the Benevolent Protective Order of Elks, the Woodmen of the World and the Fraternal Order of Eagles.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 167-168
Farnsworth, Clifford R.
Among the men of enterprise and ability who have aided in promoting Whatcom county's great industry, none stands higher in public esteem than does Clifford R. Farnsworth, manager of the Everson business of the Carnation Milk Products Company and for thirteen years the incumbent of this important position. A native of Connecticut, he was born in 1877, and his parents, James A. and Ellen M. Farnsworth, have passed away.
Clifford R. Farnsworth received his higher education in the Sheffield Scientific School of Yale University and was graduated with the class of 1897. He entered the dairy industry in the east, becoming manager of the interests of the New England Dairy Company, and in 1905 he journeyed to the Pacific coast. He spent some time in Los Angeles, California, and was next employed as a surveyor by the Northern Pacific Railroad Company, working in the states of Washington and Idaho. In 1910 he was sent to Everson by the Carnation Milk Products Company, and since 1913 he has had charge of the local plant. He is one of the most efficient and trustworthy representatives of this large corporation and by his achievements has amply demonstrated that he is the right man for the office. In the winter of 1909 the firm purchased the business of the Nooksack Valley Condensed Milk Company, established about 1907, and has since rebuilt the plant, which now covers an entire block. It is one of the largest establishments controlled by the Carnation interests and furnishes employment to about seventy persons. The company collects milk from farmers within a radius of fifteen miles and has constituted the dominant force in the upbuilding of the dairy industry in this favored region.
In 1907 Mr. Farnsworth was married to Miss Mary McMichael, of Idaho, and to their union has been born a son, Edwin. Mr. Farnsworth is a member of the Kiwanis Club of Bellingham and the Community Club of Everson, and he votes the republican ticket. His integrity, business acumen and public spirit have won him a secure place in the esteem and confidence of his fellow citizens.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pg. 73
Featherkile, Daniel W.
Daniel W. Featherkile is an attorney of high standing, faithfully discharging the many trusts reposed in him, and for twenty-one years has successfully followed his profession in Bellingham. He was born in 1875 and is a native of Kansas. His parents were Samuel and Theresa (Ring) Featherkile, the former a native of Indiana and the latter of Kentucky. They went to Kansas in 1868 and the father took up a homestead. As one of the pioneer agriculturists of that region he endured many hardships and privations, but success at length crowned his labors. In later life he retired and established his home in Florence, Kansas, and his demise occurred in that town, December 26, 1909. His widow is now eighty years of age.
Daniel W. Featherkile received his professional training in the State University of Kansas, from which he was graduated in 1902 with the degree of LL. B., and in the fall of that year he came to Washington. He spent a short time in Seattle and in December, 1903, arrived in Bellingham. In November, 1904, he opened a law office in the city and soon demonstrated his legal acumen. He was appointed justice of the peace in July, 1908, and in the fall of that year was elected to the office, in which he was retained for three terms. At that time he also acted as police judge and in 1917 was elected city attorney, serving for two years. He made a highly creditable record as a public official, and he has since been engaged in general practice. He is well versed in the minutiae of the law and has established a large and desirable clientele.
On June 15, 1909, Mr. Featherkile married Miss Clara H. Hansen, of Bellingham, and their family now numbers three children: Melville Webster, Ivan Richard and Ernest Melton, aged respectively fourteen, thirteen and seven years. Mr. Featherkile gives his political allegiance to the republican party and stands always for reform, progress and improvement in public affairs. He is an earnest student and a man of high principles, well worthy of respect and confidence.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 795-796
Fenske, Adolph G.
Agriculture is one of the most useful occupations open to man, and is the basis of the nation's prosperity. Adolph G. Fenske has therefore made a wise choice of life work, and a desirable ranch in Deming township is the visible result of his intelligently directed efforts. A native of Wisconsin, he was born June 9, 1873, and his parents, Julius and Matilda Fenske, were among the early settlers of that state. He was reared on his father's farm and received a public school education. He aided his father in the cultivation of the homestead and at the age of eighteen started out for himself, purchasing a quarter section in Shawano county, Wisconsin. He operated the place for fifteen years with much success and in 1906 disposed of the the property. In that year he went to California and purchased land in Tulare county. A year later he sold the ranch and came to northwestern Washington, buying a tract of one hundred and five acres in Deming township, where he has since made his home. He has made many improvements on the place and now has thirty acres under cultivation. His standards of farming are high and his soil is rich and productive. He operates a well equipped dairy on his farm and is also engaged in the poultry business, receiving a good return from his labors.
In 1892 Mr. Fenske married Miss Rosa Christian, a native of Wisconsin and a daughter of Charles Christian who settled on a farm in Deming township in 1907. To Mr. and Mrs. Fenske were born ten children. Adelia, the eldest, is the wife of Hubert Davis, of Burlington, Washington, and the mother of two children, Joseph and Laura. Edna was united in marriage to Melvin Johnson of Kendall, Washington, by whom she has two daughters, Rose and Violet. Arthur, a resident of Burlington, Washington, has a wife and two children, Etta and Beulah. Reinold owns a ranch near the homestead and has a wife and two children, Walter and Bettie. Lorena is the wife of Eben Johnson, a well known farmer of this locality, and they have two sons, William and Clifford. Walter is the owner of a garage in Burlington and is also married. Ethel is the wife of Jean Campbell, of Burlington, and the mother of two daughters, Lorella and Della. The younger children, Ina, Mary and Ellen, are still at home.
Mr. Fenske is allied with the republican party and has been township supervisor and road overseer. He has worked earnestly and effectively for the good of his district and diligence and determination have shaped his career. His prosperity is well deserved and his genuine worth has won for him many steadfast friends.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 708-709
Field, E. K.
E. K. Field is the popular and efficient postmaster of Ferndale and represents an old American family, noted for generations for its loyalty and patriotism. He was born June 22, 1875, in Detroit, Michigan, and his parents were M. W. and Mary (Kercheval) Field, the latter of French descent. The family was founded in America in 1658 and has furnished gallant soldiers to the Colonial and Revolutionary wars, the War of 1812, the Civil war and the World war; in fact, to every conflict in the history of the nation. Mary (Kercheval) Field was born in Detroit in 1835. Her father, Benjamin B. Kercheval, migrated from Virginia to Michigan in 1796, making the journey in a barouche. He married Maria Forsythe, who was born in Detroit in 1800. M. W. Field was a son of Cyrus Field and a native of Maine. He was educated in the Pine Tree state and settled in Detroit in 1828, subsequently becoming one of the foremost men of Michigan. He achieved success as a banker and wholesale grocer and in 1870 was elected a member of congress. He was one of the regents of the University of Michigan and filled that office until his demise in 1889.
His son, E. K. Field, received his higher education in that noted institution of learning and began his business career with the Stearns Lumber Company, a Michigan corporation, with which he spent nine years. In 1907 he arrived at Biglake, Washington, and for six years was in the employ of the Day Lumber Company. In 1913 he came to Whatcom county, purchasing a farm in the vicinity of Ferndale, and later sold the property. He then opened a garage in Ferndale and was successful in the venture, displaying initiative, foresight and good judgment in the conduct of the business. He was appointed postmaster in 1923 and is devoted to the interests intrusted to his charge, maintaining a high standard of service.
On November 26, 1902, Mr. Field married Miss Jennie Russell, a resident of Lake City, Michigan, and a daughter of Hector and Margaret Russell. Four children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Field: Kercheval, who is a member of the United States Signal Corps and has a wife and one child, a daughter; Alice Woodbridge, a teacher in the Ferndale public school; Florence Gladys, at home; and Alfred, a high school pupil. Mr. Field is affiliated with the Episcopal church and his political allegiance is given to the republican party. He is deeply interested in everything that touches the welfare and progress of his community and for two years was chairman of the board of education, while for six years he acted as city clerk. He is active in fraternal affairs and has held all of the chairs in the local lodge of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows. He is identified with the Modern Woodmen of America and has taken the thirty-second degree in the Masonic order, also belonging to Nile Temple of the Mystic Shrine. Mr. Field has been faithful to every trust reposed in him, never swerving from the course dictated by conscience and honor, and has won as his reward the respect, confidence and good will of his fellowmen.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 525-526
It is the pride of the citizens of this country that there is no limit to which natural ability, industry and honesty may not aspire. A boy born in ignorance and poverty and reared under adverse surroundings may nevertheless break from his fetters and rise to a position of independence and comfort in life. Among the citizens of Whatcom county who deserve unstinted credit for their attainments, in the face of early discouraging conditions and environment, is the subject of this sketch, one of the best known dairy farmers of Ten Mile township, and a man whose success is due entirely to his ability to grasp the opportunities that came to him.
John Findorff was born at West Bend, Wisconsin, in 1876, and is a son of John and M. M. (Mayerhoff) Findorff, both of whom died when their son was but a baby. From that time until the age of nine he was reared in Milwaukee and then was adopted by a Wisconsin family, who made of him a veritable slave, compelling him to work hard all day and then sew carpets in the evenings. He remained with this family until he was eighteen years old, when he ran away and secured work on a farm near Milwaukee. Later he went into the city and remained about a year, at the end of which time he went into the woods of northern Wisconsin, where he spent two winters. He then went to Nebraska, where he worked on farms about three seasons, after which he worked in the iron mines at Hibbing, Minnesota, for three years. Around that time he met with a bicycle accident, which laid him up for about a year. As soon as he was able, he went to the Brack School and College, at Wilder, Minnesota, borrowing the money to pay his expenses while there, and this comprised his total school attendance, a part of one term. He was then about twenty-five years old and was not only out of work but owed the borrowed money. However, determined to succeed, he went to Duluth, Minnesota, where as a stevedore on the docks he earned enough money to pay off his indebtedness. He next went to the harvest fields of North Dakota, Minnesota and Nebraska, with the view of gradually working his way to the western coast. He had intended to homestead land at Walla Walla, but when he reached that place he changed his mind and went to Hokiam (Hoquiam), where he was employed in the mills and on the railroad for a time.
Mr. Findorff subsequently came to Whatcom county and for a while worked for the Bellingham Bay & British Columbia Railroad and is a brickyard at Bellingham. Later he came to Ten Mile township and leased the land on which he now lives. The place comprises forty acres, and after leasing it for several terms he bought it. He has made a number of splendid improvements which have added materially to the value of the place. When he first moved to this tract it was wild and uncleared land, only the best cedar trees having been cut off, and a vast amount of hard work was required to get it in shape for cultivation. During his early years here Mr. Findorff worked out in order to secure money to pay living expenses until the farm should become productive. He also sold a good deal of good timber and shingle bolts from his land. He now has about thirty acres cleared and is carrying on a fine and prosperous dairy business. He keeps from six to ten cows, for which he raises sufficient hay and grain on the place, and he is making plans to go into the bee business. He is a member of the Whatcom County Dairymen's Association and takes a live interest in everything relating to the welfare of the farmers, of his community. He has passed through all the hardships and privations of the pioneers, and the prosperity which is finally crowning his efforts is richly deserved.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 894-895
Fingalson, E. O.
Among the men of energy, intelligence and determination who are responsible for the development of the fertile soil of Whatcom county, none is better known than E. O. Fingalson, one of its pioneer agriculturists and the owner of a valuable ranch near Ferndale. He was born December 26, 1864, in Rice county, Minnesota, and his parents were Ole and Christie Fingalson, the former of whom also followed the occupation of farming as a life work.
E. O. Fingalson was educated in the public schools of Minnesota and remained in his native state until he reached the age of twenty-four years. He came to Whatcom county in 1889 and for a time was a railroad employe. In 1890 he invested his savings in twenty acres of land in Mountain View township. He cleared and improved the place and is now engaged in general farming and dairying thereon. His cattle are of high grade, and he brings to his work as an agriculturist that expert knowledge which is acquired only through years of experience and study. He utilizes modern conveniences to expedite the work, and a general air of neatness and prosperity pervades the place, which reflects the careful supervision and progressive spirit of the owner.
In 1909 Mr. Fingalson was united in marriage to Miss Annie Rud, who was born in Norway and has lived in the United States since girlhood. Mr. Fingalson is a member of the Whatcom County Dairymen's Association and gives his political allegiance to the republican party. He has always taken a deep interest in public affairs. He was clerk of Mountain View township for three years and for fifteen years was a member of the school board, performing valuable public service in each of these offices. When he came to this region the forests were filled with game and there were few settlers in the township. He has experienced many of the phases of frontier life and has performed well his part in the work of progress and civilization. Mr. Fingalson has made his own way in the world and merits and receives the respect and esteem of his fellowmen.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pg. 814
Fisher, B. B.
This well known farmer of the Sumas valley represents the type of men who conserve the best interests of the community of which they are citizens. He is not a showy man, caring little for display, but is simply a plain, industrious farmer, who worked hard for what he possesses, has provided well for his family, has done his duty toward his fellowmen and has made a good neighbor and citizen. Such men are a credit to any locality, and he is well entitled to representation in this work. Mr. Fisher was born in Douglas county, Oregon, on the 3d of December, 1866, and is a son of John and Sarah (Olmstead) Fisher, the former of whom was a native of Germany, while the mother was a native of this country. Both are now deceased, the mother dying when the subject of this sketch was but a baby, while his father passed away in 1890. John Fisher was brought to the United States in 1823, when about one year old, the family settling in the east, where he was reared to manhood. Eventually he went to St. Louis, Missouri, where he established a saddlery shop, which he ran until 1849, when he went to California with the rush of gold seekers. He was successful in his mining operations and lived there until about 1856, when he went to Roseburg, Oregon, where he opened a saddlery and harness shop. He also homesteaded and preempted three hundred and twenty acres of land, being one of the first settlers in that locality. At one time he was burned out by the Indians but succeeded in fighting them off, and he lived there during the remaining years of his life. To him and his wife were born twelve children, all of whom were born on this old homestead.
B. B. Fisher received his education in the public schools of Roseburg and remained at home until nineteen years of age, when he went to the coast and followed lumbering for five years. During the next two years he followed mining and then turned his attention to the carpenter's trade, at which he was employed for seven years. Afterward he engaged in the stock business in Oregon for eight years, and during that time he took up a homestead and bought other land. In 1904 Mr. Fisher sold his interests in Oregon and coming to Sumas, Whatcom county, bought eighty acres of raw land, which was densely covered with cedar, spruce, vine maple and stumps. The tract, which was three miles south of Sumas, was a part of the Peter Saar homestead. He built a small house and barn entered upon the tremendous task of clearing the land and getting it in shape for cultivation. It is now practically all cleared and produces abundant crops of hay, grain, peas, potatoes, beans and sugar beets, and he also has a nice berry patch. He keeps fifteen pure-bred Jersey cows and a registered sire and has been very successful in the dairy business. He built a more commodious house in 1907 and a splendid barn in 1909, and has made other substantial and permanent improvements which have added greatly to the value of the ranch.
In August, 1901, Mr. Fisher was married to Miss Mary Breshears, who was born in Missouri, a daughter of Clarissa Breshears. Mrs. Fisher has a sister, Mrs. Frances Otingner. To Mr. and Mrs. Fisher have been born two children: Alva E., born August 12, 1902; and Glenn B., born September 26, 1912. Mr. Fisher is a member of the Whatcom County Dairyman's Association, of which he was one of the organizers, and of the Whatcom County Farm Bureau. He has long been active in local public affairs, having served one term as township supervisor and nine years as a member of the school board, rendering effective and appreciated service. Fraternally he is a member of Sumas Lodge No. 85, Independent Order of Odd Fellows. He is a man of sterling character, possessing the essential qualities of good citizenship, and has long held an enviable place in the confidence and good will of his fellow citizens.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 185-186
Fisher, Clarence C.
Among the valuable citizens of Bellingham is Clarence C. Fisher, a business man of broad experience and proven worth and a prominent figure in mercantile circles of the city. His father, Horace L. Fisher, was a native of Illinois and passed away in that state. He was a descendant of Asa Fisher, who served in the Continental army, and five brothers of the latter also aided in winning American independence. After the death of Horace L. Fisher his widow, Martha E. (Appleton) Fisher, came to the Pacific northwest with her two sons, Herbert E. and Clarence C., and established her home in Bellingham.
Clarence C. Fisher first came to the city on Christmas day of 1889, remaining a short time, and returned July 4, 1890. He became interested in the banking business and was also treasurer of the local street railway company. In 1896 he went to the east, spending two years at Chicopee Falls, Massachusetts, with the Overman Wheel Company, and in 1898 returned to Bellingham. He has since been connected with the Morse Hardware Company, one of the oldest and largest corporations of the kind in this part of the country, and now has charge of the finance department. He is well informed on everything pertaining to the trade, and his ably directed labors have been essential to the growth of the business, to which he has given twenty-seven years of faithful, efficient service.
On June 28, 1892, Mr. Fisher married Miss Cora B. Dodge, of Newport, New Hampshire, by whom he had four children, but Richard C., the fourth in order of birth, is deceased. Those who survive are Dorothy Rose and Clarence Appleton; and Harold D., born October 20, 1897. On April 6, 1926, to Harold D. and Ethel B. Fisher, was born a son, Harold D., Jr. Mrs. C. C. Fisher and her daughter are connected with the Washington Society of the Daughters of the American Revolution and all of the family are members of the Baptist church. Mr. Fisher votes the republican ticket, and his life has been guided along the lines which govern honorable, upright manhood and citizenship.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pg. 540
Fisher, Charles Henry
Charles Henry Fisher, well known in educational circles of both the east and the west, is serving as president of the State Normal School at Bellingham and brings to the discharge of his important duties broad experience and a natural aptitude for the profession which he has chose as his life work. He was born April 25, 1880, in York, Pennsylvania, and after completing the curriculum of the public schools took a course in the Lebanon Valley College of that state. He was graduated from the Union Theological Seminary in 1907 and from the University of Pennsylvania in 1914, and also took postgraduate work at Columbia University. For a few years Mr. Fisher was one of the staff connected with the Young Men's Christian Association of New York city. He taught in high schools of Pennsylvania and New Jersey; was head of the history department at Trenton; was placed in charge of the department of education at the State Normal School in West Chester, Pennsylvania; and later occupied the chair of education and psychology at Swarthmore College. He was next connected with the state department of public instruction at Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, and from 1920 until 1923 was president of the State Normal School at Bloomsburg, Pennsylvania. His work in that connection attracted much favorable notice and in June, 1923, he was called to the presidency of the State Normal School at Bellingham, Washington. He possesses an aptitude for successful management and is rendering valuable service to the institution through the able administration of its affairs and the widening of its influence.
On August 4, 1909, Mr. Fisher was united in marriage to Miss Mary Naomi Light, of Lebanon, Pennsylvania, and they now have four children: Robert, William, Mary and Charles. Mr. Fisher belongs to the Phi Delta Kappa fraternity. He has been a student throughout life and is constantly striving to perfect himself in his work. He has written many interesting articles on subjects pertaining to educational matters and also enjoys an enviable reputation as a lecturer. Actuated by high ideals of service, he has risen rapidly in his profession, and the consensus of public opinion names him with the most able and progressive educators of the state.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pg. 110
Fisher, Herbert E.
Among the sagacious, farsighted business men to whom Bellingham is indebted for its commercial growth and prosperity, none occupies a higher place in public esteem than does Herbert E. Fisher, widely known as one of the officials of the Morse Hardware Company, with which he has been associated for nearly thirty years. He was born January 6, 1866, in Delavan, Illinois, and his parents were Horace L. and Martha E. (Appleton) Fisher. The father was a merchant and was engaged in business in Illinois until his death. He was a member of an old American family, tracing his ancestry in direct line to Asa Fisher, who fought in the Continental army and five of whose brothers were also soldiers in the Revolutionary war.
After the demise of Horace L. Fisher his widow came to the Puget Sound country in company with her sons, Herbert E. and Clarence C., reaching Bellingham in 1890. The family prospered in their new home, and in 1896 the subject of this sketch became connected with the Morse Hardware Company. His worth soon won recognition and in 1899 he was elected secretary of the corporation, also becoming a member of the board of directors. He has since filled these offices and his services have been invaluable to the firm. He is a typical business man of the present age, keenly alive to the value of any commercial proposition, quick to perceive an emergency and equally prompt in devising a plan to meet it. His brother has charge of the financial department of the company, of which Cecil A. Morse is president and manager. This is the oldest concern of the kind in Bellingham and one of the largest in the northwest.
In 1906 Mr. Fisher married Miss E. Lena Spear, a daughter of E. H. Spear, who is later life migrated from Illinois to Washington, settling in Bellingham. The children of this union are Ernest E. and Francis F. The family are members of the Baptist church and Mr. Fisher is a republican in his political views. He is a live factor in his city and owes his success to strict honesty, the conscientious discharge of all obligations and unremitting attention to business.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pg. 388
Fitch, J. H.
With diligence and determination as his outstanding qualities, J. H. Fitch has accomplished what he has undertaken, and one of the leading mercantile establishments of Marietta is the visible result of his well directed labors. He is a native of Monroe, Michigan, and his parents, James and Lucy Fitch, are both deceased. He was reared on his father's farm and received a public school education. His first money was earned by working in the lumber woods of Michigan, and when he had saved a sufficient sum he embarked in the logging business. Mr. Fitch came to Whatcom county in 1901 and opened a store at Maple Falls, furnishing the miners with supplies. He was one of the pioneer merchants of that locality, in which he spent eleven years. He has since been engaged in general merchandising at Marietta and carries a large and carefully selected stock, so that he is always prepared to supply the needs of the public. Years of experience have made him thoroughly familiar with the details of the business and a large and rapidly increasing patronage is evidence of his commercial standing.
On September 19, 1888, Mr. Fitch was united in marriage to Miss Annie L. Vilburn, of Grand Rapids, Michigan, a daughter of Joseph Vilburn, and well known lumberman of that state. Mr. Fitch is a republican but has never aspired to public office. He is affiliated with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, being a charter member of Lodge No. 451, at Rogers, Michigan, and also belongs to the Benevolent Protective Order of Elks. Mr. Fitch is planning to retire from business, retaining his residence in Marietta, and will devote a large part of his leisure time to hunting and fishing, his favorite sports. He takes the interest of a good citizen in public affairs, and a useful, upright life of quiet devotion to duty has enabled him to win and retain the esteem of his fellowmen.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pg. 150
Fitzgerald, C. E.
One of the men who have stamped the impress of their strong individualities upon the minds of the people of Whatcom county is C. E. Fitzgerald, who in his special field of effort has attained distinctive eminence throughout this section of the country. Faithfulness to his vocation and a strict adherence to a fixed purpose will do more to advance a man's interests than wealth or advantageous circumstances, and these have been the dominating characteristics of his career, which has been replete with honor and success worthily attained.
Mr. Fitzgerald was born at Oshkosh, Wisconsin, on the 16th of February, 1860, and is a son of James and Mary (Geoghegan) Fitzgerald. His parents were born and reared in Ireland, the father coming to this country in 1830 and settling in the state of Maine. After living there a few years, he went to Oshkosh, Wisconsin, where for a number of years he was successfully engaged in the lumber business. Subsequently he bought eighty acres of land along the Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul Railroad, and later added forty acres more. He was a pioneer of that locality and the railroad station Fitzgerald was named in honor of the family. Mr. Fitzgerald also had two brothers, Daniel and Maurice, who bought adjoining land, there being between four and five hundred acres of fine land in the family at that place. A few months before his death, James Fitzgerald went to the home of his son Albert, at Tomahawk, Wisconsin, where he died in February, 1912, at the age of ninety-four years. His wife passed away in 1904. They were the parents of the following children: William, deceased; Mary and Maurice, both residents of Wisconsin; C. E., of this review; Albert, also a resident of Wisconsin; and Mrs. Jennie Davis, who lives in Minnesota.
C. E. Fitzgerald secured a good, practical public school education, which he supplemented by a course in a business college in Oshkosh. He then engaged in the lumber business, which commanded his attention for ten years. He was married in 1889 and soon afterward came to Whatcom county, Washington, buying forty acres of land in Mountain View township. This land was densely covered with timber and brush and a vast amount of labor was required in clearing it, but, this accomplished, he found himself the possessor of a fine tract of land. He later added forty acres adjoining, and devoted himself to the operation of the eighty acres until 1905, when he sold it and bought forty-two acres one mile north of Ferndale in Ferndale township, the land being located on the Blaine road. He has twenty acres of this land in fruit, principally apples, cherries, pears and prunes, in the cultivation of which he has met with extraordinary success. The remainder of the land is devoted to general crops, including sugar beets. Mr. Fitzgerald has made a close study of fruit raising, in which he has become an expert and on which he is generally recognized as an authority. His orchard is in fine bearing and during the gathering season he employees from forty to fifty men in the picking and packing of the fruit. For many years he has exhibited his fruit at all the provincial exhibitions in British Columbia, where he made a fine display of box and plate fruit. In 1921 he took over forty first and second prizes at fairs where the entries were open to the world, and in 1909, at the Alaska-Yukon exhibition at Seattle, he took the grand prize and sweepstakes for the best exhibits of cherries, of which he showed twenty-one different varieties. During that exposition he had fresh cherries on display for three months continuously. He also exhibits at all the local fairs, where he is equally successful as a prize winner.
Mr. Fitzgerald was married October 29, 1889, to Miss Catherine Webster, who was born and reared at Oshkosh, Wisconsin, the daughter of David and Sarah (Cushing) Webster, the father a native of Scotland and the mother of Ireland. Mr. Webster came to the United States about 1850 and made his home in Oshkosh. At the outbreak of the Civil war he enlisted in the Union army and served until the close of that conflict. He then returned to Oshkosh and spent his remaining years there. To Mr. and Mrs. Fitzgerald have been born two children, namely: Cecelia Mary, who is the wife of Vincent Zeramba, of eastern Washington, and they have two sons, John Vincent, born May 12, 1918, and Robert James, born September 17, 1919. Leo Cornelius, born in Mountain View township, is a veteran of the World war, having enlisted on August 6, 1917, in the Wagoner Battalion of the Sixty-fifth Field Artillery. He saw about one and a half years of active service overseas and was honorably discharged and mustered out February 28, 1919.
In 1908 Mr. Fitzgerald erected a fine residence with modern conveniences and beautifully located on high ground, commanding a magnificent view of the surrounding country. He is a member of the Pomona Grange, as well as the subordinate Grange, and for seven terms served as master of Ferndale Grange, No. 180. In 1907 he was elected president of the Whatcom County Fruit & Produce Association which was the first organization of the kind in Whatcom county, and in one year they shipped more than forty carloads of fruit to the east besides selling ten thousand crates of berries to the local trade and many tons of fruit to the canneries in Bellingham and Seattle, while thousands of boxes were also sold in Vancouver, Seattle and Bellingham. In 1924, Mr. Fitzgerald was elected president of the Western Washington Horticultural Association at Everett and the following year presided at their meeting in Bellingham. He takes a deep interest in everything pertaining to the welfare of his community, being specially interested in education and good roads and serving for three years as road supervisor in Whatcom county. He has rendered effective and appreciated service for eighteen years as a member of the school board. He is unostentatious in manner but possesses a forceful personality that leaves its impress on those with whom he associates, he being recognized throughout his locality as a man of high ideals and sound principles, to which he is faithful in all the relations of life. Because of his splendid character, his pronounced success in business, his fine public spirit and his genial disposition, he has attained an enviable place in the confidence and esteem of the entire community and is clearly entitled to specific mention among the other representative men of his county.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 226-231