Fock, B. J.
For forty years a resident of the state of Washington, B. J. Fock has intimate knowledge of the various phases of frontier life in this region, and a highly productive farm in the vicinity of Bellingham is the visible result of his well directed labors. A native of Germany, he was born July 8, 1868, in the city of Hamburg, and his parents were John S. and Geisha (Wolfe) Fock, the former a fisherman. The son was educated in his native land and in 1885, with a youth of seventeen, came to the Pacific coast region. He lived for two years in Tacoma, Washington, and in 1887 entered a homestead in Snohomish county, casting in his lot with its earliest settlers. He proved up on the land, which he at length converted into a fertile tract, and was also in the employ of the government. He carried the mail from Stanwood to Glenwood and walked each day a distance of thirty-five miles over the narrow, uneven trails, bearing upon his back a fifty pound sack. In the performance of this valuable service to the pioneers of Washington he endured many hardships and faced many dangers, never faltering in the discharge of his duties. In those early days the redmen roamed through the forests, and Mr. Fock readily mastered their language, so that he was able to converse fluently with the Indians. He came to Bellingham in 1903 and now owns and operates a thirty acre ranch near the city. He has a small herd of valuable cows and his land is rich and productive, yielding abundant harvests. He is identified with the lumber industry, cutting shingle bolts which he sells to the mills, and in this manner adds substantially to his income.
On the 29th of January, 1908, Mr. Fock was united in marriage to Miss Margaret Ellen Mayher, a native of Riverton, Iowa, and a daughter of John and Katherine Mayher, the former of whom was an agriculturist. Both parents are now deceased. Without party bias, Mr. Fock considers the qualifications of the respective candidates and casts his ballot for the man whom he considers best qualified for office. He has well earned the right to the honorable title of "self-made man" and his actions have been invariably marked by that consideration toward others which is the outward expression of a kind and sympathetic nature.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pg. 189
Folsom, J. O.
A fine type of the younger generation of business men to whom Bellingham looks for its future growth and prosperity, J. O. Folsom is well known in automotive circles of the city and represents one of its prominent families. He was born in Kansas in 1898, and his parents, A. E. and Susie E. Folsom, were among the pioneer settlers of that state. The mother is a native of New York and the father's birth occurred in Iowa in 1859. He came to Bellingham in 1916 and in 1920 was joined by the subject of this sketch in forming the Auto Top Company, in which three others are also financially interested. The business is located at Nos. 112-14 Grand avenue and the firm carries a full line of automobile tops, bodies, fenders and curtains, also upholstering cars. The founders of the concern are men of enterprise, ability and keen discernment, and as a result of their combined efforts the business has made rapid strides. The firm is prompt and dependable in filling orders and its members are men of high standing.
In 1920 J. O. Folsom married Miss Alice M. Claytor, who was born in Virginia. She went to Nebraska during her childhood and in 1905 came to Bellingham in company with her mother, Mrs. Nancy E. Claytor. To Mr. and Mrs. Folsom has been born a daughter, Margaret E. Mr. Folsom enlisted in the United States army, February 8, 1918, and was assigned to duty in the camp supply department, serving until March 8, 1919, when he was honorably discharged. He belongs to the American Legion and his father is connected with the Modern Woodmen of America and the Independent Order of Odd Fellows. They have thoroughly allied their interests with those of Bellingham and the family is highly respected in the community.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pg. 710
Ford, L. J.
The name of L. J. Ford is well known in commercial circles of Bellingham in connection with the dairy business, in which he is a pioneer, and his progressive spirit and executive powers have stimulated the development of this important industry. He was born September 3, 1871, and is a native of Cedar Rapids, Iowa. His parents were E. J. and Mary S. (Able) Ford, the former an agriculturist, and both of whom are now deceased.
L. J. Ford received a public school education, and his first knowledge of the dairy business was acquired in Iowa. He came to Washington in 1899 and in February, 1900, arrived in Bellingham. He had charge of the John B. Agen Creamery for a year and in 1901 opened the Ford Creamery, which on January 1, 1924, became the Ford Dairy Products. The first home of the creamery was in the Victor block, and it was next established at No. 1401 F street. The business was later conducted at No. 1329 Cornwall avenue and was afterward moved to Kent, Washington. At the end of a year it was reestablished in Bellingham at its present location, No. 313 East Champion street. The plant is well equipped and thoroughly sanitary. The daily capacity is two thousand pounds of butter and three hundred gallons of ice cream. Twenty thousand pounds of milk are handled each day and employment is furnished to ten persons. The firm operates four delivery trucks and deals only on a wholesale basis. Its products are of superior quality and are sold throughout the county. Mr. Ford is president of the business, of which he has a highly specialized knowledge, and through carefully formulated plans and judicious management has fostered its growth, building up an industry of large proportions.
In 1895 Mr. Ford was married to Miss Ella Hurd, of Nebraska, and Maynard, their only child, is now a locomotive fireman in the employ of the Southern Pacific Railroad. He is married and has a daughter, Mary Jane. Mr. Ford is a Knight Templar Mason and Shriner and is also connected with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows. He casts his ballot for the candidates of the republican party but has never aspired to public office, preferring to discharge the duties of citizenship in a private capacity. He is a business man of high standing and what he has accomplished represents the fit utilization of his innate powers and talents.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pg. 516
Ford, U. S.; M.D.
For six years the residents of Everson have had the benefit of the professional skill of Dr. U. S. Ford, who represents one of the prominent families of the state and is doing valuable work as a physician and surgeon. A native of Canada, he was born in Calgary, Alberta, August 16, 1887, and is a son of W. H. and Kate (Peake) Ford, the former a native of Missouri. Nimrod Ford, the grandfather of the subject of this sketch, was a Montana pioneer, and W. H. Ford was reared and educated in that state. He became the owner of a livery stable, also operating a stage line, and was later a merchant. He went to the province of Alberta, spending some time in Canada, and in 1890 brought his family to Everett, Washington. He maintained his home in that city for four years and in 1894 entered the lumber business at Arlington, Washington, where he conducted a mill. He was a candidate for the office of secretary of state of Washington in 1912, and he is now living retired in Seattle. His wife was born in Michigan and has passed away.
Dr. Ford was but three years old when his parents came to Washington. After his graduation from high school he took up the study of dentistry but abandoned his idea of following that profession. He completed a course in the University of Pennsylvania, from which he received the M. D. degree in 1918, and served as an interne of two hospitals in Pittsburgh. Returning to the Pacific coast, he opened an office in Seattle and a year later located in Oregon, but remained only a short time in that state. He has since resided in Everson since 1920 and is the only physician in town. With a thorough understanding of the science of medicine and surgery, he is well equipped for the combat against disease and has been very successful in his efforts to restore health, enjoying a large practice.
In 1920 Dr. Ford married Miss Hazel Malmberg, of Moline, Illinois, and to their union has been born a daughter, Beatrice Jean. He served in the Medical Reserve Corps of the United States army during the World war and belongs to the American Legion. He is connected with the Masonic fraternity and the Community Club of Everson, being president of the latter organization. His political views are in accord with the platform and principles of the republican party. Dr. Ford has a high conception of the duties and obligations of citizenship and is a young man whom to know is to esteem and admire.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pg. 739
Foss, Oscar L.
Over four decades have been numbered with the past since Oscar L. Foss first came to the wilderness country of northwestern Whatcom county. Upon his arrival here this section of the state was largely an undeveloped region, awaiting the awakening touch of the sturdy pioneers, and as one of the settlers who led the van of civilization into this favored locality he is clearly entitled to representation in the permanent record of his county. Mr. Foss was born at Athens, Somerset county, Maine, in 1859, and is a son of Jacob and Mary (Foss) Foss, both of whom also were natives of that state, where they spent their lives and died. They were the parents of nine children, six sons and three daughters.
Oscar L. Foss attended the public schools of his home neighborhood and the Classical Institute at Waterville, Maine. He then started westward, stopping first in Iowa, where he visited with relatives, and next went to Fort Robinson, Nebraska, where he obtained employment in the government store. At that time, 1879, it was a rough country in every respect, this fort really being for a few years one of the outposts of the Indian country. From there Mr. Foss went to California, where he spent about a year in the mines, and then went to Seattle, Washington, where he spent a few months. In the spring of 1883 he came to Lynden, homesteading one hundred and sixty acres of land, comprising the northwest quarter of section 8, in Delta township, about eight miles west of Lynden. This was virgin land, densely covered with timber and brush, without a road or trail within a distance of four miles. Mr. Foss moved onto the place at once, beginning the clearing of the land, and "bached" there until 1890. He worked out during the summers and gave his attention to the clearing of the land in the winters. He continued to live there until 1901, by which time he had cleared about ten acres and had cut and slashed much more. His first home was a small cabin, which was later replaced by a comfortable and well built house. In 1901 Mr. Foss came to his present farm, which comprises eighty acres of land, five acres of which were cleared when he bought it, and about twenty-five acres are now cleared and in cultivation. He is carrying on dairying operations, keeping a nice herd of good grade milk cows, and is meeting with well deserved success. His place is well improved and he exercises sound judgment in his management of the farm, being accounted one of the most enterprising and progressive farmers of his locality.
In 1890 Mr. Foss was married to Miss Ida Elliott, who was born at River Falls, Wisconsin, a daughter of George and Oliva (Hammond) Elliott. Her father was a native of Boylston, Massachusetts, and was a pioneer settler in Wisconsin, where he acquired a fine farm. His wife was a native of Yarmouth, Maine, and accompanied her family to Whatcom county in 1884. Here they homesteaded a tract of land and spent their remaining days, the mother dying in 1903 and the father in 1913. To Mr. and Mrs. Foss have been born five children, namely: Leslie, who died in boyhood; Mary, who became the wife of Paul Barbo, of Bellingham; Cecile, of Bellingham; Shurman, deceased; and Noble, who is married and lives in Deming. Mr. Foss is a member of the Whatcom County Dairymen's Association, while fraternally he is a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows. He has long been actively interested in public affairs, having served as clerk of the school board of the old school district at Sunrise from it organization, a period of fourteen years, and he was also the first teacher in the first school established there. He served for one year as a member of the board of supervisors in Custer township and served as road supervisor for a number of years in both Delta and Custer townships. He is public-spirited and lends his support to any cause that has for its ultimate object the betterment of his community along material, civic or moral lines. Because of these things and his forceful personality, he has long occupied an enviable place in the esteem of his fellow citizens.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 444-445
Foster, Amor D.
In one of the most exacting of all callings has Amor D. Foster attained distinction, being generally recognized as one of the most successful teachers in Whatcom county. He is a well educated, symmetrically developed man, and his work as an educator has brought him prominently to the notice of the public, the result of which is a demand for his services where a high standard of professional excellence is required. A man of scholarly tastes and studious habits, he keeps abreast of the times in advanced educational methods and his general knowledge is broad and comprehensive.
Mr. Foster was born in Kelso, Cowlitz county, Washington, in December, 1880, and is a son of R. J. and Frances (Vann) Foster. His father was born and reared in Illinois, whence he crossed the plains with an ox team in 1872, locating first in Monticello, Washington, and later going to the Cowlitz river, in Lewis county, of which locality he was a pioneer. Our subject's mother was born in Arkansas, and her death occurred near Chehalis, Washington, at the age of sixty-nine years, her husband dying there at the age of seventy-four years.
Amor D. Foster secured his early education in the district school at Cowlitz Bend, following this by attendance at the high school at Castle Rock, from which he graduated. He then attended and was graduated from the State Normal School at Bellingham, and this was supplemented by special work at the University of Washington and later at the Washington State College. He also took a course in scientific agriculture at the State Agricultural College at Pullman and special correspondence work in agriculture with the University of California. After leaving the normal school, Mr. Foster began teaching school during the winter, while during the summers he gave his attention to agriculture. For two and a half years before taking up his normal school work, he taught at Sulphur Springs and Toledo, and he later was a Quincy, Washington, for three years, being in charge of the grade school and the high school. Then for one year he was principal of the high school at Elma, after which for five years he was at the head of the Kittitas union high school. During this period he was working into vocational agricultural work, and in 1918 he accepted his present position in Ten Mile township as superintendent of the Meridian consolidated schools, including seven grade schools and the high school.
During 1921-22 Mr. Foster did not teach, spending that period on his farm of twenty acres, which he had purchased in 1912. When he bought the place no clearing had been done, but during his summer vacations he had applied himself closely to the clearing and improvement of the tract, eleven acres of which are now cleared and in cultivation, the remainder of the land being devoted to pasture. He gives his attention largely to chickens and to fruit, in the handling of which he has been very successful. He raises about three thousand chickens a year and intends to enlarge this phase of his work, which is both pleasant and profitable. He also keeps a number of cows, and he finds this to be a good combination, as the skim milk is utilized for the chickens, while the fertilizer is used in the fine cherry orchard which he has started. To a great extent he is using the farm as an experimental and development farm in connection with his school work, and he has found it very practical and beneficial in that respect.
In 1910 Mr. Foster was married to Miss Dolly Jennings, who was born in Kansas. Her family came to Oregon in 1900 and later came to Marysville, Washington. Mr. and Mrs. Foster are the parents of one child, Helen, now twelve years old. Mr. Foster has taken an active interest in everything affecting the welfare of the farmers and poultrymen of the county. He is a member of the Poultrymen's Hatchery, for the past five years has been president of the Whatcom County Poultry Association and is a former president of the Whatcom County Farm Bureau, as well as a member of the Whatcom County Dairymen's Association. Fraternally he is a member of the Bellingham Lodge No. 151, Free and Accepted Masons. Broadminded and tolerant in his views, he is at the same time a man of firm and well founded opinions, with the courage of his conviction as to the great issues of the day. His influence throughout the community has always been on the right side of every moral issue, and he gives earnest support to every measure for the advancement or betterment of the public welfare. Kindly, generous and friendly, as well as able and conscientious in the discharge of his duties, he has long held an enviable place in the confidence and esteem of the entire community and is deservedly numbered among the representative residents of Whatcom county.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 17-18
Fouts, William Henry
The late William Henry Fouts, who died at his home in Bellingham January 25, 1924, in the eighty-first year of his age, was one of the real pioneers of Whatcom county, an influential factor in the general life of the community during settlement days here, and had seen the wilderness brought under man's subjection and made over into a region of orderly government and firmly established communities. He was a college man, educated for the law, but did not follow that profession. When he reached the settlements here on the Bay in 1873 no public school system had been organized and he taught what properly may be regarded as having been the first public school in what is now the city of Bellingham, and thus the first in Whatcom county, in a little building that stood on what now is the corner of Clinton and D streets. Among the pupils in that pioneer school were Victor and Henry Roeder, the Jenkins children, Hugh Eldridge, Lewis Hoffercamp and sister, the Kellogg children, Billie Gardner, Frank Peabody and his own children.
In 1875 Mr. Fouts was elected superintendent of schools of Whatcom county, which at that time included the territory comprised within the present county of Skagit (erected in 1883) and his influence on the social life of the settlements in that capacity and his earnest efforts in behalf of the budding schools undoubtedly had a great deal to do with the creation here, even from the beginning, of orderly processes of social development that have been reflected in the whole after development of the community. He was also one of the early merchants in the settlement and for some time served as postmaster, his store thus becoming the general center of the growing community. His energetic wife at the same time was doing her part in community work, keeping a boarding house and doing what she could as a helpful feminine influence in the growing community, ministering to the sick and in other ways active in social service - a true pioneer helpmate to her husband and a neighborhood benefactor. With proper thrift she invested the earnings from her boarding house in eleven acres of land constituting a part of the Peabody estate and as the town grew the greatly increased value of this holding mounted until it came to be a quite ample material reward for her foresight. This able pioneer mother died September 5, 1915, in Bellingham, one of the oldest continuous residents of the county. She was able to look back with quiet gratification upon the work that has been accomplished here during the forty-two years and more of her residence in the Bay country.
The late William H. Fouts was born in the city of Zanesville, Ohio, in 1843, and was but an infant when his parents moved to the then Territory of Iowa and settled at Hopeville, between Osceola and Mr. Ayre, in Clarke county in the south central section of what shortly afterward (in the spring of 1845) was admitted to the Union as the state of Iowa. His father became a merchant in the village of Hopeville and he there was reared. He was given a college education, with a view to taking up the practice of law, but instead engaged in mercantile business with his father. In 1871 he came to Washington Territory with his family, having meanwhile married in Iowa, and he and his wife had two little daughters and one son when they came here. He first located in Olympia, where for two years he was engaged in teaching school, and in 1873 he came to the Bay settlements, secured the old Pickett house and opened a general store on what was then called Division street, at that time the principal thoroughfare of the settlement, between what now are C and D streets. Presently he was appointed postmaster and thus the whole settlement soon came to have a personal acquaintance with the new merchant and mail agent, as well as with his wife, who helped him tend store and at the same time directed the affairs of the boarding house which she set up not long after their arrival here. In 1874 Mr. Fouts was elected superintendent of the schools of Whatcom county and in this capacity traveled far and wide among the settlements in this northwestern section of the state, his jurisdiction covering not only the territory comprised within the present confines of Whatcom county but extending south as far as Snohomish. He also taught in Snohomish county. He was retained as county superintendent until the middle 80's and during that long incumbency rendered invaluable service in the establishment of a definite system for the operation of the rapidly developing schools. With his training in law he also proved himself a helpful citizen, acting in an advisory capacity in the adjustment of many a question under dispute. Mr. Fouts' mercantile and realty interest occupied his attention during the period of his activity here and after his retirement he continued to make his home in Bellingham where, as noted above, he died in January, 1924, and at his passing he left a good memory, for he had been one of the helpful pioneers of the community.
It was October 31, 1863, in Iowa, that Mr. Fouts was united in marriage to Miss Martha Sullivan, who preceded him to the great beyond some nine years. Of the seven children born to this union five survive, one son, Walter Fouts of Bellingham, and four daughters, namely: Clara, who married John H. Stenger, also a member of one of the pioneer families of Whatcom county; Rilla, who married Thomas Penny; Grace, who married Perry Sears, now living in Arizona; and Edith, who married George Dress.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 301-302
Jacob Fox, a veteran orchardist and horticulturist of Mountain View township and proprietor of a well improved and well kept place on rural mail route No. 2 out of Ferndale, is one of the pioneers of the county. When he came here forty years ago the section in which he settled was a veritable wilderness and all the hazard and hardship of frontier life confronted him, but he overcame the difficulties and in good time became one of the substantial men of the community. For a quarter of a century Mr. Fox has been a member of the school board in his district, a record of service perhaps unequaled in the county, and during that time has done much to advance the standards of the schools of that community. He also was for many years overseer of highways in his home district and in that capacity did much to bring about a solution of the better roads problem in that part of the county.
It also must be said for Mr. Fox that he was perhaps the first man in his neighborhood to recognize the horticultural possibilities of that region and he holds the record of having been the first man in Whatcom county to raise strawberries for the market. A natural born horticulturist, he brought his strawberry beds to a high state of cultivation and at one time was raising no fewer than one hundred varieties of this luscious table delicacy. He also had as many as fifteen or twenty varieties of blackberries and the same of raspberries and his operations along these lines did much to introduce standard horticultural methods in this county and throughout northwestern Washington. Of late he has given his chief attention to his fruit growing operations and he has a fine orchard of about four hundred choice bearing trees. Mr. Fox started in there with a homestead tract of one hundred and twenty acres, but after he cleared this, in that operation burning timber that today would be of very great value, he simplified his work by selling off a good part of this tract and devoting himself to intensive horticultural and orchard pursuits, his place now consisting of thirty acres of admirably developed land. When Mr. Fox settled in this community in 1886 there were but two spans of horses in his part of the county, one the property of Henry Shields and the other of Edward Brown, who were pioneers of that region. Other conditions were in much the same primitive state and when in a reminiscent mood he has many an interesting story to tell of the days when bears and other wild game were numerous throughout that section.
Mr. Fox was born in Kalamazoo county, Michigan, fifteen miles south of the city of Kalamazoo, in 1849, and is a son of Jacob and Loretta (Shuge) Fox, who were born in Pennsylvania and who became pioneers of Michigan, where they settled in 1844. Reared to farming, Jacob Fox, Jr., attended school in Kalamazoo county and remained at home until after his father's death in 1872, when he closed out his holdings in Michigan and went to Nebraska. In 1886 he sold out in Nebraska and came to Washington, going first to Seattle. Two months later he entered a homestead tract of one hundred and twenty acres and settled down to the difficult tasks of proving up on his claim, in due time securing title, and he and his wife have since made their home there. In 1923 Mr. and Mrs. Fox celebrated the fiftieth anniversary of their marriage, the golden wedding being a happy occasion for them and their many friends throughout the county.
In 1873 Mr. Fox was united in marriage to Miss Linda Haynes, daughter of Basil and Rebecca (Scaden) Haynes, natives of Ohio, who were among the homesteaders in Nebraska and who is 1886 came with Mr. Fox to Whatcom county where the remainder of their lives was spent. To Mr. and Mrs. Fox have been born nine children, six sons and three daughters, all of whom are living save one son, Edward Fox, the seventh in order of birth, who died in 1918, leaving a widow. Charles is the eldest of this family. Ida, the eldest daugther, married James Fields and is now living in Bellingham. Ella, the second daughter, married William Martin, also of Bellingham, and has two children. Gertrude, the youngest daughter, married F. Bailey, of Seattle, and has one child. Jesse, the second son, is now living at Bellingham, is married and has one child. Blaine is the next son. Archibald married Miss England and is now living at Bellingham. During the time of this country's participation in the great war he enlisted, was trained at Camp Lewis and detailed for service in the Spruce division of the army. Albert Fox, the youngest son, also a veteran of the World war, with an overseas record, was in the artillery division of the American Expeditionary Forces in France and during that period of service was for some time detailed as a clerk of the headquarters company of the command to which he was attached. He married Miss Timons and is living at home, engaged in teaching.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 837-838
Roy Franklin, an enterprising and energetic young dairyman of Mountain View township, was born on a farm in Michigan, January 11, 1892, and is a son of W. H. and Adaline (Chatterson) Franklin, who were born in the province of Ontario, Canada, and who have long been residents of this county, now living in Mountain View. W. H. Franklin's father, Benjamin Franklin, a native of the Empire state, born in Albany, New York, established his home in Canada but never relinquished his American citizenship. After his marriage W. H. Franklin established his home on a farm in Michigan and there remained until 1899, when he closed out his holdings there and returned to Canada, he and three of his sons homesteading a section of land in Alberta. He "proved up" on that claim and remained there for six years, at the end of which time he disposed of his farm to advantage and returned to the United States. Selecting Washington as a place of residence, for five years he was located in Forest Grove. In 1910 he bought the place on which his son Roy is now living and there remained until his retirement in 1916.
Roy Franklin was seven years of age when his parents moved to Alberta and was fifteen when they came to this state. He grew up familiar with farming processes and upon coming here took a helpful part in the labors of developing the home place. He was attentive to his studies and his work in the public schools was supplemented by a course in a business college at Bellingham. When the war came on he rendered service in the mechanics division of the Students Army Training Corps, stationed at Pohman. Since 1916 he had been giving supervisory attention to the operations of his father's farm and after a time bought the place, establishing his home there after his marriage. For two years, 1920, 1921, he was engaged in the garage business in Bellingham and his acquaintance throughout the county thus was widely extended. Mr. Franklin has a well improved place of forty acres and in addition to general farming is successfully engaged in dairying, having a fine herd of graded Guernseys and a registered herd leader of that strain.
On March 13, 1920, Mr. Franklin was united in marriage to Miss Alice Moles of this county and they have two children, a daughter, Dorothy Burnetta, and a son, Roy Vincent. Mrs. Franklin was born in Peoria, Illinois, and has been a resident of Whatcom county since 1904. Her father, the Rev. J. W. Moles, a widely known clergyman of the Methodist Episcopal communion, is now located at Custer in this county. Mr. and Mrs. Franklin have a pleasant home and take an interested and helpful part in the general social and cultural activities of the fine community in which they live.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 845-846
Freeman, Frank B.
For twenty-four years a resident of Bellingham, Frank B. Freeman has progressed with the development of the city, making each day and hour count for the utmost, and a large transfer business is the visible result of his well directed labors. He was born March 27, 1876, and is a native of Nova Scotia, Canada. His parents were H. G. and Susan (Burnaby) Freeman, the former of whom was engaged in the hotel business, and both have passed away.
Frank B. Freeman received a public school education and at the age of sixteen went to Massachusetts. He was connected with logging and teaming operations and spent several years in the city of Lowell. In 1902 he came to northwestern Washington and obtained a position as teamster with the Larson Livery & Transfer Company of Bellingham. He was later employed by other firms of a similar nature and eventually became manager of the Model Transfer Company. Encouraged by his success in conducting their interests, Mr. Freeman decided upon an independent venture and on February 1, 1920, embarked in the general storage and transfer business at No. 1310 Commercial street. In 1922 he moved to No. 1109 Railroad avenue, and the business is now housed in a substantial three-story building, fifty-five by ninety feet in dimensions. The warehouse is a concrete structure with ample storage facilities, and he operates seven trucks, averaging from one to five tons in capacity. He has about ten employees and in a few years has built up a large business, displaying initiative, foresight and keen sagacity in its control. The work is performed with promptness and efficiency, and his well known reliability is one of his most valuable business assets.
On September 7, 1918, Mr. Freeman was married, in Bellingham, to Mrs. Mary R. Fenton, a native of Iowa. By a previous union she has three children: Bernice, who is the wife of C. L. Anderson, of Portland, Oregon; Lulu, now Mrs. C. L. Cain, of Ottumwa, Iowa; and R. C. Fenton, who married Miss Melissa McDonald, of Vancouver, British Columbia, and is associated in business with the subject of this sketch. Mr. Freeman is connected with the Fraternal Order of Eagles and the Federated Industries of Washington. He casts his ballot for the candidates of the republican party and supports all worthy public projects. From an early age he has depended upon his own exertions for a livelihood and is now reaping the merited reward of a well spent life, occupying a high place in the esteem of his fellow citizens.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pg. 683
Friborg, S. Nelson
This is an age when the farmer stands preeminently above any other class as a producer of wealth. With the assistance of nature's gifts of the winds, warm air, sunshine and refreshing rains, and the application of his own effort and skill, he is, under normal conditions, the most independent man on earth, and on the tiller of the soil the human race depends for its very life. In this worthy class stands S. Nelson Friborg, of the vicinity of Blaine, who through his persistent industry, directed and controlled by sound judgment, has realized a splendid measure of prosperity. He is a native of Jutland, Denmark, born in 1888, and is a son of N. Nielson and Annie (Sorensen) Friborg, the latter of whom is still living in that country. The father, whose death occurred in April, 1924, was a farmer by occupation and also, for twenty years, served as a mail carrier.
S. Nelson Friborg secured his education in the public schools of his native land and in those of Whatcom county. He remained at home with his parents until he was seventeen years of age, when he emigrated to the United States. He came at once to Stanwood, Whatcom county, where lived an uncle, Anton Nelson, and he remained there for a time, working on the farm, after which he obtained employment in the Henry Becker shingle mill, at Camano island, where he remained about a year. Then for several years he was employed in logging camps in Oregon, after which he went to the woods of British Columbia, where he remained for a number of years. In 1920 Mr. Friborg bought sixty acres of land, comprising his present home, sixteen acres of which were cleared. He has cleared about five acres more and now has a fine and well cultivated farm, the tract having originally been a part of the John F. Tarte homestead. Here he is carrying on dairying, having a fine herd of thirteen Jersey cows, some of which are registered stock, and he has met with splendid success in that line. He is also gradually getting into the chicken business, owning two hundred laying hens, which number he expects to increase greatly in the near future. He raises good crops of hay and grain, keeping his fields in excellent shape and paying due attention to the fertility of the soil. When he bought the farm the house and barn were not in good condition, but the improvements made by him since coming here have transformed the place into one of the best farms in this locality.
In 1918 Mr. Friborg was married to Mrs. Nellie (Ridgeway) Hill, who was born and reared in Garfordsville, Oregon, a daughter of E. R. and Annie (Earle) Ridgeway, the former a native of Illinois and the latter of Oregon. Mrs. Ridgeway was a member of the Powell family, which was numbered among the earliest pioneers of Oregon, they having come to California in 1849, going thence up into Oregon, where they made permanent settlement. E. R. Ridgeway came to Oregon from Montana in his young manhood. By her first marriage Mrs. Friborg had a son, Lindsay Hill, who works in the woods. Mr. Friborg has one of the most valuable farms in this locality, due entirely to his persistent and well directed efforts. On his place is a cherry tree that was planted the year the land was homesteaded by Mr. Tarte, some time in the late '70s, and it is still bearing splendid fruit. By his consistent and well ordered life Mr. Friborg has gained a high place in the respect and esteem of his fellow citizens. He cooperates with them in the furtherance of every measure calculated to advance the best interests of the community, and he has long been regarded as one of the dependable and reliable men of the locality.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 420-421
One of the up-to-date dairy and poultry farmers of Ten Mile township, Whatcom county, who has worked hard for what he now possesses, is Joseph Frishet. He knows how to appreciate the true dignity of labor and to place a correct estimate on the value of money. Nevertheless, he is liberal in his benefactions and stands ever ready to support with his influence and means all measures for the material and moral welfare of the community in which he lives, and he enjoys the respect of all who know him. Mr. Frishet was born in northern Michigan in 1853 and is a son of Michael and Mary (La Pierre) Frishet, both of whom were born and reared in Canada. He secured his education in the public schools of his native state and was reared to the life of a farmer, remaining with his father until he had grown to manhood. He then worked in the neighborhood, operated a threshing machine and also owned a portable sawmill, with which he did a good deal of work in that locality.
In 1904 Mr. Frishet came to Whatcom county, locating in Bellingham, where he remained about one and a half years. In 1905 he bought forty acres of land in Ten Mile township, all of which was covered with timber, the only improvement being a barn. He has since devoted himself closely to the improvement and operation of this place, which he has developed into a good and productive farm. About fifteen acres of the land are cleared, and he is devoting his attention mainly to cows and chickens, in both of which lines he has enjoyed a very gratifying measure of success. On his fertile fields he raises good crops of hay and grain, while the uncleared portion of the land affords excellent pasturage. He has made a number of splendid improvements on the place, which is now a very desirable farm.
While living in Michigan, Mr. Frishet was married to Miss Ellen Dargie, who was born in Scotland, a daughter of Andrew and Jennet (Watson) Dargie, who were natives of Scotland and both of whom died in this country. Mr. and Mrs. Frishet have no children of their own, but they have adopted a boy, Roy Frishet, who now lives in Centralia, Washington. He was married to Miss Augusta Charles, who died, leaving a daughter, Dorothy, who was born in Bellingham and who now makes her home with Mr. and Mrs. Frishet. They are Roman Catholics in their religious faith and attend the church in Bellingham. Among those who know Mr. Frishet best he bears the reputation of a man who exercises sound judgment and who holds pronounced views, keeping himself well informed upon all matters affecting the public welfare and always exercising the duties of citizenship in a conscientious manner.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 373-374
Frost, Frank E.
Frank E. Frost is an active factor in Bellingham's industrial circles as treasurer of the Bloedel Donovan Lumber Mills, to which position he was elected in April, 1913. His birth occurred at Clarion, Iowa, on the 6th of May, 1884, his parents being E. J. and Henrietta (Stover) Frost. The father was engaged in the operating department of the Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific Railroad at Clarion, Iowa, for many years, but in 1903 he journeyed westward with his family and took up his abode in Whatcom county, Washington, purchasing a farm at Weiser lake. His wife is deceased, and he now makes his home in Bellingham.
Frank E. Frost attended the public schools of his native city, and following his graduation from high school in June, 1902, he entered the employ of the Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific Railroad as a clerk in the freight department, remaining there for a year. At the expiration of that period he accompanied his parents on their removal to this state and at Bellingham entered the service of Fred Kenoyer, who operated a lumber mill, Mr. Frost having charge of the yard and sales for two years. In November, 1905, he went to Oakland, California, where he attended the Polytechnic Business College for five months, after which he spent one month as a student in Wilson's Business College of Seattle. In April, 1906, he returned to Bellingham. Subsequently he worked for the Chicago Great Western Railroad in Seattle as stenographer and traffic man until July, 1908, when he came back to bellingham and obtained employment as stenographer with the Larson Lumber Company. occupying that position for two years. At the end of that time he accepted the position of bookkeeper for the Lake Whatcom Logging Company and the Larson Lumber Company, which were all the same people, and when the latter company was reorganized on the 1st of April, 1913, under the name of the Bloedel Donovan Lumber Mills, Mr. Frost was elected to its treasurership and is now in charge of its finances and otherwise active in its management and control. He took charge of accounts for the company in March, 1911, and during the past fifteen years has filled the official position of treasurer. The steps in his orderly progression are easily discernible, and he has advanced steadily, having long been active in the control of one of Bellingham's substantial business enterprises.
On the 20th of November, 1907, at Bellingham, Mr. Frost was united in marriage to Miss Emma I. Seelye, a native of Minnesota and a daughter of Lyman Seelye, a worthy pioneer of Whatcom county, Washington. Their family numbers four daughters, namely: Dorothy, Helen, Katharyn and Margaret. Mr. Frost is a republican in his political views but is not as aspirant for office, preferring to concentrate his energies on his business affairs, which are well directed and are of growing importance. He may well claim the proud American title of self-made man, for his success is the merited reward of his wisely directed efforts, unfaltering industry and marked business ability.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pg. 52
A well improved ranch in Deming township pays tribute to the care and labor bestowed upon the place by its owner, Herman Fry, who has long been numbered among the substantial agriculturists of Whatcom county. He was born in September, 1878, in Moline, Illinois, and was but three years old when his parents, Abner and Sarah Jane (Gamble) Fry, went to Arkansas. The mother passed away in that state, in which the father was engaged in farming for many years, subsequently settling in Snohomish county, Washington. He purchased a home in Arlington and there spent the remainder of his life.
Herman Fry was educated in the public schools of Arkansas and remained in that state until he reached the age of twenty-four years. In 1902 he came to Whatcom county, Washington, and for six years followed the occupation of shingle weaving. In 1907 he bought a tract of thirty-seven and a half acres in Deming township and has since concentrated his attention upon agricultural pursuits. His land was covered with stumps, also containing some standing timber, and all of it has been cleared and brought to a high state of productivity. The work is facilitated by modern labor-saving devices and his home contains many of the conveniences of a city dwelling. His buildings are well constructed and his dairy is thoroughly sanitary and completely equipped. He also raises poultry and from these two industries derives a substantial income.
In 1907 Mr. Fry married Miss Magdalene Zobrist, a native of Kent, Washington. Richard, their only child, saw service in France as a member of the American Expeditionary Force and is now living in North Dakota. Mr. Fry is an influential member of the Grange and his political allegiance is given to the republican party. He was a member of the school board for a considerable period and for several years acted as road supervisor. He has faithfully discharged every trust reposed in him and has clearly demonstrated his worth as a citizen.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 885-886
Among those who came to northwestern Whatcom county when this section was still very largely in its primitive stage was Carl Fullner, who has not only been an actor in the drama which has witnessed the passing of the old and the introduction of new conditions in this locality but has also gained an enviable reputation as an enterprising and progressive farmer and public-spirited citizen. A native of German, he was born on the 20th of January, 1859, and is a son of Frederick and Mary (Necks) Fullner, who were farming folk in that country, where both died. Our subject was educated in the public schools of the fatherland and was reared under the parental roof. From the ages of twenty to twenty-four years he served in the German national army and then was for four years employed in flour mills.
In 1887 Mr. Fullner emigrated to the United States, going direct to Nebraska, where many relatives of his were living, and there he remained about three years. In 1890 he came to Whatcom county, expecting to secure a homestead, and lived in Whatcom county about a year, in the meantime carefully looking over the county for a site that suited him. Eventually he bought twelve acres where he now lives and some time later bought twenty-seven acres more, the land being densely covered with timber and brush, while the only highway in that locality was a trail along the river. Mr. Fullner immediately applied himself to the task of clearing the land, though most of his work on the place was done in the winter time, as he worked out during the summers in order to earn ready money to keep him going until the farm should become productive. He now has his entire tract cleared and in an excellent state of cultivation, while the major improvements on the place include a comfortable and attractive house and a substantial and commodious barn, with other necessary farm buildings. He gives his attention chiefly to dairy farming, for which purpose he keeps about eighteen cows, and he also keeps a nice flock of chickens. His fertile fields produce enough hay and grain to supply the stock, while a splendid vegetable garden keeps the table well supplied. He also raises some sugar beets for his cows and pigs.
In 1884 Mr. Fullner was married to Miss Louisa Peel, who was born and reared in Germany, where her parents died, and to their union have been born eleven children, namely: Powell, who lives at Lawrence, this county, and is married and has two sons; Mrs. Annie Berkove, who lives in Oregon and is the mother of eleven children; Edith, at home; Emile, who is married and lives at Lawrence and is the father of a son; Mrs. Mitta Robinson, who lives in California and is the mother of a daughter; Emma, who lives on a homestead in Idaho; Franz, who is married and lives at Greenwood; and Max, Agnes, William and Otto, who remain at home. Emile was in the service of his country during the World war, getting out spruce lumber for airplanes during his entire period of service. Franz also enlisted and trained with the infantry at Camp Worden, being just ready to go overseas when the armistice was signed.
Religiously Mr. Fullner is a member of the Lutheran church. He has always been active in advancing the best interests of his community, among his first contributions to its progress having been when in the early days here he helped to construct some of the first roads through this section of the county. He is a member of the Whatcom County Dairymen's Association and the Whatcom County Poultry Association. Energetic and discriminating in his work, he has accomplished much since coming to this locality and has so ordered his career as to win the unbounded respect and esteem of his fellow citizens, while among those with whom he associates he is regarded as a man deserving of the highest measure of confidence.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 874-875