Gabriel, William Perry
Of honored pioneer stock, William Perry Gabriel has witnessed much of the actual "winning of the west," and his memory forms a connecting link between the primitive past and the prosperity of the present day. He is the owner of a valuable ranch near Wickersham and for nearly twenty years has lived in this district, in which he is widely and favorably known. In former years he was very active in public affairs and filled with credit every office to which he was called. He was born in Lane county, Oregon, in 1858, and his parents, William Jackson and Rebecca (Goodman) Gabriel, were natives of Boonville, Missouri. They were married in that town and in 1850 started on the long and perilous journey to Oregon, using oxen as a means of transportation. After many hardships and privations they finally reached their destination, and they were among the earliest settlers in that region. Everywhere were dense forests of tall pines, in which lurked many hostile redskins. Early in the '70s the father was killed by a half-breed Indian, and the mother passed away in the '80s.
W. P. Gabriel received such educational advantages as were afforded by the primitive schools of those days and at the age of sixteen became a wage earner, contributing his share toward the support of the family. In 1879 he came to Washington, obtaining employment at Cathalene, and later went to Canada. For several years he was a driver of ox teams in the province of British Columbia and about 1883 returned to the States. He engaged in the same line of work in the lumber camps of King county, Washington, and later went to Edison, Skagit county. He drove oxen for Patrick McCoy, Edward English, J. L. Davis and others and followed that occupation at Clearlake, Washington, before the town was founded. He located on a farm near Edison but cultivated the land only a short time and next turned his attention to the meat business. Later he revisited British Columbia, and in 1907 he entered the logging industry at Wickersham, Washington. He was identified with the business for several years and in 1918 decided to become an agriculturist. Mr. Gabriel bought a twelve acre tract near the town and now operates a fine dairy on his place. He also conducts a poultry farm and each branch of the work has proved profitable, for he is thorough, systematic and efficient, well informed on matter pertaining to the lines in which he specializes.
In 1891 Mr. Gabriel was united in marriage to Miss Mary Flynn, who was born in Michigan and came to Whatcom county during her girlhood. Mr. Gabriel is connected with the Loyal Order of Moose and casts his ballot for the candidates of the republican party. He was road supervisor in an early day and served on the school board a quarter of a century ago. He acted as constable and game warden for twenty-seven years, establishing an enviable record in that connection, and for nine years he has filled the office of fire warden. Mr. Gabriel has a high sense of duty and honor and his life has been fraught with the accomplishment of much good.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 615-616
Gage, George E.
George E. Gage, one of Bellingham's valuable citizens, was for more than thirty years a forceful figure in local mercantile circles and through hard work, wise management and strength of purpose has won a measure of prosperity that now enables his to live retired. He is a son of Aaron H. and Hannah L. Gage and was born March 8, 1856, in Keokuk, Iowa.
The public schools of his native state afforded George E. Gage his educational opportunities, and for several years he was employed as a clerk, becoming thoroughly acquainted with the various phases of the clothing trade. Having amassed a small capital, he embarked in business at Marshalltown, Iowa, in 1882 and conducted the enterprise for eight years, specializing in men's furnishings. In 1891 he came to Washington and located in Sehome, which is now a part of Bellingham. He opened a clothing store on Holly street, near the corner of Railroad avenue, and was one of the pioneer merchants of the town. He conducted the business under the style of the Gage Clothing Company until 1893, when it was consolidated with the McDougal & Dodson Clothing Company of Fairhaven, and the name was changed to the McDougal-Gage Company, Inc. In 1900 the name of the corporation was changed to that of Gage-Dodson Company. L. T. Dodson assumed the duties of president and George E. Gage became secretary and treasurer. In 1905 the firm moved to a more advantageous location at No. 203 West Holly street, securing a store with a fifty foot frontage, and soon won a large patronage as dealers in men's furnishings. Mr. Gage acted as secretary and treasurer for twenty-four years, formulating many well devised plans for the expansion of the business and ever maintaining a high standard of service. He also served as president of the New Whatcom Building & Loan Association, which likewise prospered under his able direction. In January, 1924, another organization was effected and the interests of the Gage-Dodson Company in the clothing business were acquired by the Gage-Dodson Company, Inc., of which George Dodson has since been president. The other officers are Victor Roth, vice president; Harley Dodson, treasurer, and Floyd Shennenberger, secretary. All are men of ability and proven worth and closely adhere to the principles of honor and integrity upon which the business was founded.
In 1882 Mr. Gage was married in New London, Iowa, to Miss Lena A. Goss, and Marguerite, their only child, is the wife of Victor Roth, a prominent business man of Bellingham. Mr. Gage is a member of the Chamber of Commerce and casts his ballot for the candidates of the republican party. He has contributed his share toward Bellingham's commercial development and throughout the period of his residence in the city has manifested a deep interest in its progress, while at the same time he has won and retained a high place in the esteem of his fellowmen.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 775-776
Galbraith, Audley A.
The life record of Audley A. Galbraith if told in detail would present an authentic picture of frontier conditions in northwestern Washington, for he was one of the honored pioneers of Acme township and aided in bringing to light the great agricultural resources of this favored region. He never allowed private interest to interfere with the performance of his public duties and neither fear nor favor could swerve him from the course dictated by conscience and good judgment.
Mr. Galbraith was of Scotch lineage and represented a family that was established in America in colonial days by three brothers. He was born December 22, 1850, in Jefferson county, Tennessee, and his parents, William and Louisa (Cobb) Galbraith, were also natives of that state. Coming to Whatcom county, he homesteaded a quarter section and in 1884 pre-empted one hundred and sixty acres of land in Acme township. He was the third settler in the Nooksack valley, which was covered with dense forests that were almost impenetrable, and in this remote district he established his home, depending upon his own resources for many of the necessities of life. He was confronted with the arduous task of clearing his land but through patience and industry surmounted many difficulties, eventually bringing the soil to a high state of development. He advanced with the scientific progress of agriculture and demonstrated the value of system in promoting productiveness. He added many improvements to his farm and remained on the property until his demise.
In 1877 Mr. Galbraith married Miss Henrietta M. Cox, also a member of an old colonial family, and of Irish ancestry. She was born in tennessee, and her parents, William N. and Malinda D. (Reese) Cox, were also natives of that state. Mrs. Galbraith survives her husband, and she is a faithful attendant of the Presbyterian church, which was established at Acme in 1888. To their union were born six children. Minnie D., the eldest, is the wife of Harold Hellyer, a native of Nova Scotia, Canada. He settled in Whatcom county in 1901 and is engaged in farming in Acme township. Mr. and Mrs. Hellyer have three children: Glen, Clare and Linda. Audley A., Jr., the second son, is operating the homestead. He married Miss Alura Spencer, by whom he has two children, John Rhodes and Jean. Naomi was married to William Pettigrew, who follows the carpenter's trade in Acme, and they have a son, Robert. Joseph, the fourth in order of birth, is also cultivating the home ranch, on which his brother, William Andrew, is likewise living. The latter married Miss Hursel Sanderson, by whom he has two daughters, Thelma and Maude. Hugh married miss Pauline Betts and resides in the town of Acme.
Mr. Galbraith was a staunch republican in his political views and his interest in the welfare and advancement of his district was deep and sincere. He served on the school board for many years and also as justice of the peace. He likewise filled the office of constable, and while making an arrest he was shot by the criminal, dying January 5, 1911, as the result of his injuries. He was the soul of honor and his force of character, breadth of mind and admirable qualities drew to him a host of friends, who were greatly shocked by his tragic death. He was a manly man, charitable, unselfish and sympathetic, winning his way on earth and going out of the world worthy of that eternal life beyond.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 658-659
Gamwell, Roland Greene
An amateur floriculturist of national repute, Roland Greene Gamwell also enjoys the distinction of being Bellingham's pioneer realtor. In both the paternal and maternal lines he is descended from a long line of worthy ancestors who rendered good service to the nation during the formative period in its history. A son of Albert A. and Phoebe (Greene) Gamwell, he was born July 25, 1863, and is a native of Rhode Island. His father was a professor of literature in one of the colleges of Providence, Rhode Island, and was also an author of note. He was a member of an Irish family that was founded in New England early in the eighteenth century. The Greene family originated in the south of England, and John Greene, surgeon, the American progenitor, made the voyage to the new world in 1635. He was one of the founders of Rhode Island and the land on which he settled has been in possession of the family for nearly three hundred years. Members of both the Greene and Gamwell families were soldiers in the Revolutionary war and valiant defenders of the cause of American independence.
In 1884, in company with his brother, Roland G. Gamwell made a tour of Europe on the old high-wheeled bicycle which was then in vogue. They were the first to cross the Alps and to traverse Spain and the Azores islands by this method of transportation, and the feat was greatly admired by the Europeans, who marveled at the "incredible speed" of their bicycles. After his return to the United States Mr. Gamwell completed a course in the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, from which he was graduated in 1886 with the degree of Electrical Engineer. In the same year he entered the employ of the Prudential Life Insurance Company and in 1889 came to northwestern Washington, arriving in Bellingham on the 15th of August. He opened a real estate office and for thirty-six years has been engaged continuously in this business, also writing insurance. He has been connected with important development projects and is exceptionally well informed concerning property values in this locality. He is frequently consulted by those desirous of investing in real estate and his judgment is always to be relied upon. He has always maintained a position of leadership in the lines in which he specializes, and his business is now located at No. 1231 State street.
On October 9, 1890, Mr. Gamwell married Miss Helen Thacher, a native of Boston and a daughter of Thomas and Maritta (Borden) Thacher, both of colonial stock. The founder of the Thacher family in America crossed the Atlantic in 1635 and was a fellow passenger of John Greene, previously mentioned. To Mr. and Mrs. Gamwell was born a daughter, Hester, now the wife of Glen C. Hyatt, of Vancouver, British Columbia, and the mother of one child Caroline Billings Hyatt.
Mr. Gamwell is a stanch republican in his political views and has always been among the foremost in projects for civic improvement. He was made park commissioner and laid out the named Elizabeth park, of which Bellingham's residents are justly proud. He is a great lover of flowers and has one of the finest amateur collections of roses and irises in the northwest. At several flower shows in the northwest he has been awarded the gold medal for the best exhibit, and he has done much to arouse an interest in the propagation of fine bulbs. He is widely known as an authority on floriculture, a subject on which he has delivered many lectures, also contributing numerous articles to leading magazines. Mr. Gamwell has been judge of the Portland rose show for a period of fifteen years, and for eighteen years he has been chosen to render the final decision regarding the merits of flowers at practically all of the large exhibits in the northwest. Keenly interested in aquatic sports, in 1890 he formed the Fairhaven Yacht Club, the first on Bellingham bay, and has filled all of its offices. He is a charter member of the Kulshan Club and the only one of the original members of this club, which is the oldest social organization in the city, who still retains his membership. He is also a charter member of the Bellingham Golf & Country Club and the Cougar and Hobby Clubs. Mr. Gamwell founded the Bellingham lodge of Elks, of which he is a past exhalted ruler, and has been district deputy grand exhalted ruler. He has served as president of the Washington State Association of the Benevolent Protective Order of Elks and is now a member of the grand lodge. He is also identified with the Knights of Pythias and the Ancient Order of United Workmen. A man of tireless energy, his life has been one of intense activity and usefulness, and the scope of his interests indicates the breadth of his mind and the spirit by which he is animated. He is the possessor of a pleasing personality and a frank, genial nature that have won him countless friends throughout the Pacific coast region.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 719-720
Gannon, Michael H.
Michael H. Gannon was a resident of Whatcom county for thirty-five years and there were few men in the county who had a wider and better acquaintance than he. He was born in Ohio, in 1852, of Irish parentage, and was reared in Wisconsin, to which state the family moved when he was a child. At the age of fifteen years he started out on his own account, working in the great timber camps in Michigan, where he followed logging during the '70s and early '80s at the height of the lumber industry in that state. His brothers, who also were experienced timbermen, had come to Whatcom county in the middle '80s and were engaged in logging in the lynden district, where he joined with in 1886, and was for a year employed in the timber around Lynden.
Mr. Gannon then established his home in Bellingham, where for some time he was employed on the police force and later was made a court bailiff. During his years of experience at the courthouse he gained a wide acquaintance which covered all parts of the county. Upon the completion of this service there he was employed in the mills and later connected with the city waterworks department, being thus employed until his last illness. Mr. Gannon died at his home in Bellingham, September 11, 1923, and his funeral was in charge of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, of which fraternal organization he had been an active member for almost forty years, and in which he had attained the degrees of both the encampment and the canton.
In August, 1885, at Montague, Michigan, Mr. Gannon was united in marriage to Miss Alfaretta Barron, who survives him, together with two children: Beulah Marion, who is married to Carl B. Schulz and has two daughters, Louise A. and Elizabeth C.; and George Stanley, a Bellingham postman, who married Helen Chrzanowski and has a son, George. George S. Gannon is a member of Company K, the local until of the United States National Guard of Washington. He is a skilled musician and has something more than a local reputation as [printing error].
Mrs. Gannon was born on a farm in Hillsdale county, Michigan, and is a daughter of Hiram and Mary Jane (Fowler) Barron, the former of whom was a native of Pennsylvania and the latter of Ohio. When thirteen years of age she became self-supporting. At the age of five years she accompanied her parents on their removal to Hart, Oceana county, Michigan, where she later prepared for teaching school, a profession she followed for three years, at the end of which time she took up millinery and dressmaking and was thus engaged in Michigan until she came to the coast with her husband and the little daughter that had been born to them. When the family took up their residence in Bellingham Mrs. Gannon resumed her vocation as a dressmaker and was for years thus engaged, helping materially in the family maintenance. In 1892 Mrs. Gannon became a member of the Bellingham lodge of the Rebekahs and she ever since has been one of the most active and influential promoters of the affairs of that organization in the state of Washington. Twice she had passed through the chairs of the local lodge, in 1906 was elected treasurer of the Rebekah Assembly of this state and was in succession advanced to the highest position in that assembly, being head of the organization during the term beginning in 1909-1910. During this period she also was elected and served as a member of the board of trustees of the orphans' home maintained by the organization which was later merged with the Odd Fellow Home, on the board of which she has since served. In 1923 she was elected to represent the organization in the national grand lodge in Jacksonville, Florida. Her daughter, Mrs. Schulz, also is an active member of the Rebekahs. Mrs. Gannon likewise has membership in the Order of Eastern Star, being past worthy matron of Maple Leaf Chapter, No. 58, of Bellingham; for years has been the scribe of the local lodge of the Tribe of Ben Hur and is also a member of the Women of Woodcraft. She is a democrat, as was her late husband, and has ever given her interested attention to local civic affairs. Since the death of her husband Mrs. Gannon has continued to make her home in Bellingham and resides at 2222 Victor street.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 798-801
Gantz, R. C.
Another of the sterling sons of the old Keystone state now living in Whatcom county is R. C. Gantz, who was born in Pennsylvania, on the 11th of January, 1875, and is a son of David and Nancy Gantz, both of whom also were born and reared in Pennsylvania. He was educated in the public schools of his native community, and remained there until 1907, when he went to Oklahoma, where he rented a tract of land and engaged in raising a general line of crops, including corn, cotton, wheat and alfalfa, and also hogs. Eventually he sold out there and, in 1919, came to Whatcom county. He bought forty-two acres of land, located about one mile east of Ferndale, and here carried on general farming, giving special attention to the raising of sugar beets. He keeps three good cows and about eight hundred laying hens.
In 1904, in Pennsylvania, Mr. Gantz was married to Miss Etta McConahey, daughter of James and Anna McConahey, both of whom were born and reared in Pennsylvania and where both of them died. Mr. and Mrs. Gantz have two children, Robert, born December 12, 1908, and Anna, born November 11, 1910, the last named being a student in high school. Fraternally, Mr. Gantz is a member of the Free and Accepted Masons at Ferndale and also belongs to Bellingham Aerie, Fraternal Order of Eagles. Mr. Gantz has pursued the even tenor of his way in a quiet and unostentatious manner, attending strictly to his own affairs, and he now holds a high place in the good will and esteem of the entire community in which he lives.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pg. 819
To a great extent the prosperity of the agricultural sections of our great country is due to the honest industry, sturdy perseverance and wise economy which prominently characterize the foreign element which has so largely entered into our population. In this class may be mentioned John Gardene, who by reason of indefatigable labor and honest effort has not only acquired well merited material prosperity but has also richly earned the high esteem of all with whom he has been associated. Mr. Gardene is a native of Sweden, his birth occurring in 1850, and he is a son of Peter and Walborg Gardene, both of whom are deceased and who never left their native land.
John Gardene attended the public schools of Sweden and was then employed on neighboring farms and in the logging camps until 1889, when, learning of the splendid opportunities for individual advancement in the United States, he came to this country. He came direct to Whatcom county and homesteaded eighty acres of land, four miles east of Everson, and at once proceeded to the laborious task of clearing it of the timber and brush with which it was densely covered. He lived there until 1905, when he bought forty acres of land west of the homestead, which also was covered with trees, and he cleared all of this land. He built a house here, followed soon after by a substantial barn and a silo, and he has here developed a splendid ranch, being now very comfortably and pleasantly situated. He keeps seven milk cows and several head of young stock and devotes his land to the raising of the crops common to this locality, grain and hay being his main crops. He is an indefatigable worker and despite his years is still active.
Mr. Gardene has been married three times, first, in 1889, to Miss Sophie Anderson, who was born in Sweden, December 17, 1855, and who died July 22, 1901. To this union were born four children, of whom the only survivor is Alfred who lives in Bellingham. On July 26, 1905, Mr. Gardene was married to Miss Lena Larson, who died January 27, 1907, without issue. On March 14, 1909, Mr. Gardene was married to Mrs. Nickalina (Steen) Knudson, who was born in Norway, April 12, 1862, a daughter of Crist and Rebecca Steen, both of whom died in their native land. Mr. and Mrs. Knudson were married in Norway and came to the United States in 1890, Mr. Knudson homesteading a tract of land in Granite Falls, Snohomish county, Washington, where they lived until 1906, when he sold that place and bought fifty acres of land in Ten Mile township, Whatcom county. There his death occurred, April 14, 1906, after which his widow lived there until her marriage to Mr. Gardene. To Mr. and Mrs. Knudson were born eleven children, namely: Mrs. Lena Desnoer, whose son Roy, born October 20, 1909, is now a soldier in the Philippine islands; Crist; Mrs. Tena Byrum, who lives near Everson and is the mother of five children - Willie, Everett, George, Viola and Robert; Margaret, who received a good education and is employed in an office in Los Angeles, California; Emma, deceased; Fred, deceased; Maerer, deceased; Mrs. Alma Ostrum, who is the mother of three children, Winston, Echo and Gordon; Mrs. Etta Westergreen, who is the mother of two sons, Richard and John; Mildred, who is employed in the courthouse at Seattle; and Alfred, deceased. The three children first named were born in Norway and the others in Washington.
Mr. Gardene is a member of the Whatcom Country Dairymen's Association and takes a commendable interest in everything pertaining in any way to the prosperity or welfare of his community. He is a man of mature judgment and marked business ability, does thoroughly and well whatever he undertakes and has long enjoyed an excellent reputation among his fellow citizens because of his splendid character and fine personal qualities. He is a very friendly man and has a kindly greeting for all with whom he comes in contact.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 297-298
Gardner, Edward C.
Edward C. Gardner is one of the well known poultrymen of Marietta township, which is indebted to him for many of its improvements, and through the stimulating friction of battling with difficulties he has developed poise, self-reliance and strength of character, which have enabled him to solve successfully life's problems and difficulties. A native of Canada, he was born April 20, 1864, in Ontario, and his parents were C. J. and Fannie (Kelsey) Gardner, the latter a native of the state of New York. The father was a Canadian and in 1872 came with his family to the United States. He purchased a farm in Minnesota and engaged in agricultural pursuits, also working as a machinist. In 1900 he migrated from that state to Washington, settling in Bellingham, and here spent the remainder of his life. He had long survived the mother, whose demise occurred in 1875.
Edward C. Gardner attended the public schools of Minnesota and also served an apprenticeship to the mason's trade, which he followed for some time. He worked for a few years in lumber mills of Whatcom county and subsequently bought six acres of land on the Northwest Diagonal road, and after clearing the place he sold it to good advantage. He next purchased an interest in a shingle mill on the Ferndale road but the plant was destroyed by fire and he was obliged to start life anew. He bought a tract of ten acres and later an additional twenty acres in the northeast corner of Marietta township and has cleared and developed both places. Like many of the residents of this district, Mr. Gardner has found poultry raising a profitable and congenial occupation, and he now has a flock of five hundred hens. He also operates a dairy on his farm and has installed modern equipment. He follows up-to-date methods and his work is carefully planned and systematically performed.
On September 1, 1901, Mr. Gardner married Miss Mamie Ramp, a daughter of William and Gertrude Ramp, who came to Bellingham in 1889. Mr. and Mrs. Gardner have a family of four children: Grace; Gladys, the wife of Lloyd M. Davis, of Bellingham, and the mother of one child; Helen, at home; and Thomas, aged four years. Mr. Gardner is a republican in his political views and preeminently loyal and public-spirited in all matters of citizenship, representing that class of men to whom personal gain is but one aim in many, secondary in importance to public growth and development. He was a member of the school board for two years and it was owing to his efforts that the outside school bus was started, thus enabling the children from the farming community to secure better educational advantages. He has worked earnestly and untiringly to advance the standards of the public schools of this section of the state. He was township supervisor for six years and acted as chairman of the board during five years of that period. He signed the first petition for rural free delivery in the township and has been a leader in every project destined to promote the general good. He has held office in the Modern Woodmen of America and is also a member of the Grange and the Whatcom County Associations of Poultrymen and Dairymen. Mr. Gardner has made his life count as a strong force for good and is a man of admirable character who would be a valuable acquisition to any community.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pg. 877
Gates, Cyrus T.
Cyrus T. Gates was long identified with farming operations in Whatcom county, where he has resided for over thirty years, and he is now living in Deming, devoting his attention to the hotel business. A son of Henry A. and Mary Ann (Noel) Gates, he was born in 1870 and is a native of Pennsylvania. His father was a Union veteran, enlisting in Company K of the One Hundred and Twenty-fifth Pennsylvania Infantry, but he was later transferred to another company. After the Civil war he was engaged in agricultural pursuits until his demise.
Cyrus T. Gates attended the public schools of his native state, and after his education was completed he was employed in lumber woods and in coal mines. He arrived at Deming, Washington, in the spring of 1895 and after working for some time in the lumber camps purchased a tract of forty acres in the vicinity of Kulshan, then known as Welcome. He zealously applied himself to the task of clearing the land, which was covered with timber, and after years of systematic labor developed a fine ranch, on which he installed many modern improvements. In the fall of 1913 he rented the place to his son and has since made his home in Deming. With the assistance of his wife he conducts the Deming Inn, a well appointed hostelry containing eleven rooms, and he is also the proprietor of a restaurant and billiard hall. Mrs. Gates has charge of the hotel, which she is ably managing, and Mr. Gates attributes much of his success to her business insight and wise counsel. A high standard of service is maintained in the operation of the hotel and restaurant, and both are well patronized.
Mr. Gates was married April 16, 1891, to Miss Lillie M. Gray, a daughter of Alexander and Mary Gray, of Pennsylvania. The family migrated from that state to Kansas and there the mother passed away. Subsequently the father remarried in 1897 came with his wife to Whatcom county, where his demise occurred in 1899. Mr. and Mrs. Gates have become the parents of eight children, of whom Floyd T. is the eldest. He responded to his country's call to arms and went to the front with the Fifth Machine Gun Battalion, in the Second Division. After the signing of the armistice he was sent to Germany with the Army of Occupation, spending seven months on the Rhine, and he is now manager of the Griffen store at Deming. He married Miss Helen Radonski, by whom he has a daughter, Mavis Lorraine. Mary, the next in the family, is the wife of Lester Scamfer and lives in South Bend, Washington. Earl H. resides with his parents. During the World war he served in the United States navy, making thirteen round trips across the Atlantic on American transports. Ray served in the World war and was discharged with the rank of sergeant at Camp Dodge, Iowa, where he was an instructor. He married Miss Irene Enersbee and make his home in Bellingham. His twin brother, Roy, who is managing his father's ranch at Kulshan, married Miss Doris Hatton, and they have a daughter Eleanora Louise. Ivis, the sixth in order of birth, is at home. Ralph joined the Marines and served for two years. He married Miss Lilly Wallace, by whom he has a daughter, Virginia, and they reside in Deming. Jennie Gray, the youngest member of the family is still at home.
While the war was in progress Mr. Gates was secretary of the Knights of Columbus. He made two trips to Europe in the interests of this organization, and his wife was active in patriotic work at home. He is allied with the republican party and has been deputy assessor. For several years he was in the service of the state, acting as assistant manager of the fish hatchery. He is affiliated with the Eagles, the Knights of Pythias and the Knights of Columbus, and is a faithful communicant of the Catholic church. Mr. Gates is a man of substantial worth and is known and esteemed throughout the county.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pg. 398-401
Gates, Harry A.
Harry A. Gates is one of the progressive agriculturists of Deming township, to which he came as a pioneer, and he has also done important work in the field of public service. He was born March 30, 1868, in Cambria county, Pennsylvania, and his parents, H. A. and Mary Ann (Noel) Gates, were likewise natives of that state, in which both passed away. The father was a log scaler, and he fought for the Union during the dark days of the Civil war.
The public schools of the Keystone state afforded Harry A. Gates his educational opportunities, and in 1888, when a young man of twenty, he journeyed to the west, spending a year in Colorado. In 1889 he came to Whatcom county and entered a homestead in Deming township. It was covered with timber, and no roads or bridges had been constructed in this isolated district. He proved up on his claim and after years of unremitting toil converted the tract into a fertile farm, on which he built a substantial home and good barns, installing modern appliances to expedite the work of the fields. Mr. Gates retains sixty acres of the original property, on which he now operates a dairy and is also raising poultry for the market. He is a firm believer in scientific methods, and prosperity has attended his well directed efforts.
In 1892 Mr. Gates was married to Miss Caroline C. Riddle, a native of Texas, and their union was severed by her death in June, 1925. Her parents, J. W. and Susan Riddle, came to Deming township in 1887 and cast their lot with the early settlers of this district, the father taking up a homestead. To Mr. and Mrs. Gates were born six children. Anne, the eldest, is the wife of Edward Kline, the owner of a ranch in Deming township, and their family numbers six children. Guy, who operates a farm in this township, is also married and has three children. The others are: Harry, who is connected with the logging industry; Etta, who married Patrick Maguire and lives in Tacoma; Susan, at home; and Dorothea, who is attending the public schools.
Mr. Gates casts his ballot for the candidates of the republican party and has a high conception of the duties and responsibilities of citizenship. He was township supervisor for several years, exerting his influence to secure many needed improvements, and for twenty years was a member of the school board, doing much to advance the standard of education in this locality. He is a member of the Grange, the Poultry Producers Association of Whatcom County and the Whatcom County Dairymen's Association. Mr. Gates has labored effectively for the public good and enjoys in a marked degree that reward of the honest, upright citizen - the respect and confidence of his fellowmen.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 278-281
Gates, Michael John
Michael John Gates, an enterprising agriculturist of Whatcom county, owns a tract of twenty acres in Deming township, where he devotes his attention to poultry raising and to dairying. His birth occurred in Cambria county, Pennsylvania, on the 9th of March, 1864, his parents being H. A. and Mary Ann (Noel) Gates, both of whom were lifelong residents of the Keystone state. The father, who was a log scaler, fought in defense of the Union during the period of the Civil war.
Michael J. Gates acquired his education in the state of his nativity and was a young man of twenty-three years when in 1887 he left the parental roof and made his way westward across the continent to Whatcom county, Washington. He followed lumbering in this and Skagit counties prior to the era of railroad building, being thus engaged until 1898 or 1899. In the latter year he went to Dawson City, where he was engaged in mining for three years. On the expiration of that period he returned to northwestern Washington and was here identified with lumber operations for a few years prior to his marriage, which occurred in 1910. Thereafter he spent a few years in the service of the Northern Pacific Railroad Company as a bridge carpenter, while subsequently he turned his attention to farming pursuits on his present place of twenty acres in Deming township. He has won well merited success as a poultry raiser and also engages in dairying with good results. Mr. Gates has membership in the Whatcom County Poultry Association, in the Whatcom County Dairymen's Association and in the Grange.
It was in 1910, as above stated, that Mr. Gates was united in marriage to Mrs. Lucinda (O'Hara) Rathje, a native of Indiana county, Pennsylvania, and the daughter of Alexander and Ruth (Hollis) O'Hara, who remained resident of Pennsylvania throughout their lives. Mrs. Lucinda Gates has lived in Whatcom county for nearly three decades, having taken up her abode here in 1897. Mr. Gates is a staunch republican in politics but has never sought nor desired office as a reward for his party fealty. Fraternally he is affiliated with the Knights of Pythias. He is held in high regard wherever known, for the salient traits of his character are such as command respect and admiration in every land and clime.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 681-682
Gawley, T. R.; Captain
Each man who strives to fulfill his part in life is deserving of recognition, whatever may be his field of endeavor, and it is the function of works of this nature to prepare for coming generations a record of the representative citizens of the community, recognizing the fact that true history is made of biographies. After a long and honorable career on the high seas, Captain T. R. Gawley is now comfortably situated in his attractive home in Ferndale township, and has won the respect and confidence of all with whom he has come in contact. He was born in Detroit, Michigan, on the 7th of April, 1863, and is a son of Robert and Josephine (Reid) Gawley. The father was born near Glasgow, Scotland, in 1833, and in young manhood went to sea as a sailor, proving a worthy and able seaman and eventually becoming captain of seagoing vessels. Later in life he engaged in gold mining at Deming, New Mexico, to which he devoted his attention for ten years. His death occurred suddenly in 1883, when he was fifty-two years of age. In 1863 he had made a trip through the state of Washington, coming this way from Canada. His wife was born at Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, in 1841, and died in 1911. Their daughter, Josephine Gawley, was the first girl graduate from the Whatcom high school.
T. R. Gawley attended the public schools of Detroit, Michigan, and on the completion of his education he, too, went to sea, following the example of his father, and he worked his way up through the various positions on a boat until, in 1903, he received his master mariner's papers. He also attended and graduated from the government navigation school at Bellingham, Washington, in 1917. He made his last trip on the United States steamer "Roosevelt," which carried Admiral Peary to the North Pole, and the boat was condemned as a government ship on Captain Gawley's judgment after the last trip that he made to Alaska on it. He was in the coastwise trade from Panama to Cape Nome, Alaska, and was with the Alaska Steamship Company for one season. He was also with the Thlinket Packing Company, of Portland, Oregon, three years, in charge of tugboats, and was one season with the Umnack Livestock Company, of Portland, taking cargoes of sheep to the aleutian islands, as captain of the "Dorothy B." The venture proved a decided success, as the sheep industry on those islands has now grown to an annual business of a million dollars.
On February 15, 1924, Captain Gawley retired from the sea and located on a forty acre ranch which he owned in Ferndale township. The farm, of which about thirty acres is cleared, is called "Arcadia." The Captain keeps two thousand chickens and four pure bred Jersey cows, sired by "Robin Hood." He devotes himself closely to the operation of his ranch, and raises very satisfactory crops of hay, grain and fruit. He is very comfortably situated in his attractive home, and is enjoying a comparative rest from the strenuous life of the sea to which he devoted so many of his active years.
In 1886 Captain Gawley was married to Miss Mattie Baldwin, a native of Ohio and a daughter of Amaziah and Caroline (Farley) Baldwin, both of whom were also natives of the Buckeye state. Her father was for many years a locomotive engineer, but is now retired. Her mother is deceased. To the Captain and his wife have been born two children: Blanche, who was born in Nebraska, received a fine education and was a successful school teacher for five years, died August 23, 1919; and Robert Amaziah, born at Lincoln, Nebraska, is now a marine engineer on the Pacific coast, having evidently inherited from the two preceding generations a love for the sea. Mrs. Gawley is also a lover of the sea and accompanied her husband on a number of his trips, visiting Alaska and other places. They possess many curios from the various places to which they sailed, some of them being of extraordinary interest.
Captain Gawley is a member of Bellingham Lodge, No. 44, Free and Accepted Masons, and is also a member of the Masters, Mates and Pilots Association of the Pacific Coast. Since becoming identified with this community, he has taken an active and effective interest in everything that relates in any way to the welfare or prosperity of the locality, giving ardent support to educational affairs and advocating road improvements wherever possible, thus giving evidence of his progressive and public-spirited disposition. He is a very interesting conversationalist and describes in a very entertaining way the things of unusual character or interest that he has seen in foreign lands. He is a kindly and genial man, easily makes friends and enjoys to a marked degree the esteem and good will of all who know him.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 590-593