A native of Holland, he was born on the 21st of October, 1858, and is a son of Henry and Bessie (Hage) Glass, who spent their lives in Holland. Their son Edward was educated in the public schools of his native land and, his parents having died, began to make his own way in the world at the early age of 11 years. He was employed at farm work and also served in the army. In 1881 he came to the United States, locating in Michigan, where he engaged in farming on a tract of 60 acres which he bought. He remained there 22 years and in 1903 went to Great Falls, Montana, where for a year he was in charge of a large ranch. He then bought 160 acres of land in Farmington, Teton county, Montana, which he cultivated for one year and then sold, going to British Columbia, where he lived for a few months. Coming to Lynden, Whatcom county, Mr. Glass rented land for 3 years, at the end of which time he bought 120 acres of land, located one and one half miles south of Lynden, about half being cleared and the remainder being in brush and stumps. He cleared it all, raising hay and grain and established a dairy, owning 22 cows. After living there 6 years, he traded that place for an 80 acre farm on Ten Mile road, which he later sold to his two sons, and then bought a general store on the Guide Meridian highway.
Mr. Glass was married, November 1, 1890, to Miss Alice Van der Yacht, a native of Holland and a daughter of Albert and Barbara (Bleecher) Van de Yacht, both deceased, the father dying in April 1919, and the mother in 1888. To Mr. and Mrs. Glass have been born 8 children, namely Henry, who is married and has 2 children, Evelyn and Margaret; Albert, who is married and has 4 children, Genevieve, Laura, Floyd and Clifford; Mrs. Barbara Constant who is the mother of 6 children, Edward, Harold, Lucille, Orvil, Gladys and Donald; Benjamin, who also is married; Mrs. Bessie Barr, who has 2 children, Helen and Ida Barr; Ida Glass, who is a graduate of the Laurel high school, attended the State Normal College at Bellingham 1 year, and had one year in business college, and is now assisting her father in the management of the store; George and Raymond, who are at home. Mr. & Mrs. Glass are earnest members of the Methodist Episcopal church. Mr. Glass is a republican.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 741-742
Gnagey, Uriah D.
Uriah D. Gnagey is one of the talented members of the Bellingham bar and for more that thirty years has been a prominent figure in legal circles of Washington. He was born September 28, 1863, in Somerset county, Pennsylvania, and his parents, Daniel and Mary (Fike) Gnagey, are both deceased. The father was a cooper by trade, also following the occupation of farming, and his demise occurred in 1864. Christian Gnagey, the American progenitor of the family, was a native of Switzerland and came to the new world in 1750. He located a Tomahawk claim in Pennsylvania and the property remained in possession of the family until 1914, a period of one hundred and sixty-four years.
Uriah D. Gnagey received a public school education and later read law under Charles Mullins, of Waterloo, Iowa, afterward attorney general, also studying under the direction of Richard A. Ballinger, of Seattle, Washington, who later became secretary of the interior. Mr. Gnagey was admitted to the bar in 1892 and began his professional career in Port Townsend, Washington, where he practiced for many years with marked success. He was city attorney of Port Townsend for eight terms, prosecuting attorney of Jefferson county for three terms and court commissioner for a considerable period, displaying rare qualities as a public servant. In 1923 he allied his interests with those of Bellingham and is now enjoying a large practice. His mind is analytical and logical in its trend and in his presentation of a case he is always fortified by a comprehensive understanding of the legal principles applicable thereto.
In 1904 Mr. Gnagey was married, in Seattle, to Miss Ina Pratt, a native of Oregon and a daughter of P. R. Pratt who in early days bought land in Whatcom county, Washington. To this union were born three children: Ruth and Bernice, both at home; and Raymond who is deceased. Mr. Gnagey is connected with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and casts his ballot for the candidates of the republican party. He takes the interest of a good citizen in public affairs and served for ten years as president of the Port Townsend school board, doing much to advance educational standards in that locality. He is a man of broad and liberal views and at all times is dominated by a strong sense of duty and honor, occupying a high place in the esteem of his professional colleagues and those with whom he has been associated in other relations of life.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 396-397
Goff, Clark T.
The record to Clark T. Goff is the story of a man who entered the business world in a lowly capacity and through the force of his personality and the strength of his mental endowments has risen to a place of leadership in mercantile circles of Blaine, which numbers him among its most valuable citizens. He was born in 1883 at Morris, Illinois, and is a son of the Rev. M. L. and Martha (Bevins) Goff. His parents went to Mendocino, California, in 1905 and later Rev. Goff was called to Anacortes, Washington, as pastor of the Baptist church. Subsequently he moved to Bellingham and is now living retired in that city. By example as well as precept he pointed out to others the higher course in life and his religious instruction proved a tangible force for god in the various communities in which he labored.
Clark T. Goff attended grammar school and high schools of Illinois and at the age of sixteen years began his commercial career, securing a position as delivery boy. He conscientiously performed the tasks allotted to him and as he acquired experience was advanced from time to time, eventually becoming manager of the dress goods department of the store of the John Bressmer Company of Springfield, Illinois. He arrived in Bellingham, Washington, in 1910 and for five years was assistant manager of the Montague & McHugh store. In 1915 he came to Blaine and embarked in business as a member of the firm of Goff & Winter, dealers in dry goods and ladies' wearing apparel. He was active in the conduct of the business until 1921, when he reentered the service of Montague & McHugh, leaving Mr. Winter in charge at Blaine. Mr. Goff acted as manager of the Bellingham store until the death of Mr. Montague on July 9, 1923, when he returned to Blaine, and in May, 1924, purchased the interest of his partner. Mr. Goff has since controlled the business, which is operated under his name, and now has a fine stock, valued at twenty-five thousand dollars. His store in twenty-five by eighty feet in dimensions and three clerks are required to serve the trade. In the conduct of the establishment he brings to bear mature judgment, administrative power and an expert knowledge of the business, acquired by years of practical experience. He has never resorted to questionable methods in order to attract custom(ers) and a large and rapidly increasing patronage is indicative of the prestige enjoyed by the house.
In 1920 Mr. Goff married Miss Margaret Ladd, formerly of South Dakota and previous to her marriage a teacher in the public schools of Blaine. To this union has been born a son, Thomas Ladd, aged three years. Mr. Goff is identified with the Benevolent Protective Order of Elks and cast his ballot for the candidates of the republican party. He shapes his conduct by the teachings of the Congregational church and is accorded the respect which the world ever yields to the self-made man.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 597-598
Goodheart, John W.; M.D., F.A.C.S.
Dr. John W. Goodheart, one of Bellingham's veteran physicians and surgeons and a resident here (with intermission) since 1890, was born in Bloomington, Illinois, in 1866, and is a son of James and Catherine O. (Fordyce) Goodheart, the former of whom was a contractor in that city. Reared in Bloomington, John W. Goodheart attended the high school there and afterward the Illinois State Normal School at Normal and taught school for one term meanwhile carrying on preparatory studies in medicine. He then entered Northwestern University Medical College, at Chicago, Illinois, and was graduated (M. D.) from that institution in 1890.
Upon receiving his diploma Dr. Goodheart came to Washington and located in the Bay settlements, opening an office in New Whatcom. In 1896 he returned to Illinois to pursue post graduate studies and was engaged in practice in that state until 1902, when he returned to Bellingham, where he since has been engaged in practice, with present offices in the Bellingham National Bank building. Dr. Goodheart is district surgeon for the Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul Railroad Company and a member of the staffs of St. Luke's and St. Joseph's Hospitals. He has more than a local reputation as a surgeon and in 1923 was elected a fellow of the American College of Surgeons. He is a past president of the Whatcom County Medical Society and is also affiliated with the Washington State Medical Association and with the American Medical Association. For some years during the '90s he rendered effective local public service as city health officer.
In 1892, in Normal, Illinois, Dr. Goodheart was united in marriage to Miss Ella Kelley of that place and they have two daughters, Geraldine, wife of John Nichols Donavan of Bellingham, and Mary Katherine, wife of L. R. Wilson of Aberdeen. Dr. and Mrs. Goodheart are members of the Country Club and have ever taken an interested and helpful part in the community's general cultural and social activities. The Doctor is an active member of the Bellingham Chamber of Commerce and of the Rotary Club and has ever been a persistent promoter of the general material interests of the city to which he pledged his allegiance back in the days that may properly be regarded as those of the pioneers, for when he came here more than thirty-five years ago only the most optimistic and hopeful of the settlers could visualize the amazing development that has take place in the united settlements since the '90s. It is pleasing to add that Dr. Goodheart was one of these farsighted and hopeful ones and that his initial faith in the city's future has been amply justified, some of his early realty investments having proved properly profitable. The Doctor is a republican and insistent and able advocate of measures tending to promote the cause of good government and proper civic pride. He is a Scottish Rite thirty-second degree Mason and member of the Ancient Arabic Order of Nobles of the Mystic Shrine and is also affiliated with the Benevolent Protective Order of Elks.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pg. 260
Goodling, Ed. W.
Ed. W. Gooding, for a number of years one of the most prominent mill men and substantial citizens of Whatcom county, was not favored by inherited wealth or the assistance of influential friends, but in spite of this fact, by perseverance, industry and the exercise of sound judgment, he has attained a comfortable station in life, making his influence felt for the general good of his community. Mr. Gooding is a native of the state of Kansas, born on the 27th of July, 1875, and is a son of Harvey and Hettie (Burton) Gooding, the former a native of Ohio and the latter of Illinois. Harvey Gooding went from his native state to Kansas about 1872, being a pioneer in the locality where he settled. He homesteaded a tract of land and lived there until 1880, when he made the long overland trip to Washington, traveling by ox team and wagon, arriving at Seattle in the fall of 1882. He was a steam engineer by profession and followed that occupation for seven years. He then came to Whatcom county and settled in old Sehome. That same fall he established the first soda water business in Whatcom county, which he carried on with marked success for twenty years and then retired, buying a home in Bellingham, where he lived until his death, which occurred April 21, 1921. His wife is still living there. They were the parents of the following children: Ed. W., Jesse, deceased, Emma, Isadore, who died in infancy, Charles, deceased, and Ray.
Ed. W. Gooding received his education in the public schools at Sehome, Washington, and then went into his father's bottling works, where he remained until 1898, when he established a shingle mill at Van Zandt, which he operated for about two years. He then built a shingle mill at Dewey and later a combination saw and single mill at Wahl, Whatcom county. It was destroyed by fire, but Mr. Gooding rebuilt it and operated it for about fifteen years in partnership with his brother Charles. In 1919 he built a shingle mill at Glen Echo, three miles east of Everson, and is still operating it with marked success.
Mr. Gooding was married April 30, 1904, to Miss Sadie May Brenninghouse, who was born in Pennsylvania, a daughter of Felix and Mary Katherine Brenninghouse, both of whom are deceased, the mother passing away May 16, 1890. Mrs. Gooding is the only child born to this union. Mr. and Mrs. Brenninghouse came to Whatcom county in 1883 and homesteaded one hundred and sixty acres of land in Crescent township, the tract being heavily timbered and also containing numerous black bears. To Mr. and Mrs. Gooding have been born five children, namely: Edna May, born september 2, 1905, who is a high school graduate and expects to attend normal school; Harvey Edward, born September 7, 1909, now in high school; Ruth Nina, born February 5, 1915; Sadie Pearl, born June 27, 1919; and George Willet, born April 21, 1922. All of the children are talented in music, both vocal and instrumental. Fraternally Mr. Gooding is a member of Wahl Camp No. 7357, Modern Woodmen of America, and he and his wife belong to the Royal Neighbors, as does their daughter Edna. Mr. Gooding was one of the first "hello girls" in Bellingham, due to the fact that when the telephone exchange was first established there girls were scarce and men were hired to operate the switchboards. He has been an interested witness of and an active participant in the wonderful development of Whatcom county and is deeply interested in the welfare and prosperity of his community, in the affairs of which he has been a potent factor. He is man of forceful individuality, decided in his opinions and straightforward in all his dealings. Unassuming in manner, he is at the same time friendly and genial in his social relations and enjoys well deserved popularity.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 306-307
Goodrick, H. M.
With the history of progress in Bellingham the name of H. M. Goodrick was long closely and prominently associated, and his death in November, 1924, deprived the city of a business man of high standing and one of its leading merchants. A native of New York state, he was born in 1865 and when thirty years of age migrated to Washington. He first located in Geneva and in 1903 embarked in the saw-reconditioning business in the basement of the building occupied by the Morse Hardware Company. In 1905 he moved to Railroad avenue and started an establishment of his own, becoming a dealer in mill supplies, saws, belting, etc. His trade increased steadily and in 1922 he was forced to seek larger quarters, moving to No. 1125 Cornwall avenue. He was a recognized leader in the lines in which he specialized and through good management, unremitting application and honorable, straightforward methods developed a business of large proportions, remaining at its head until his demise.
Mr. Goodrick married Miss Annie Scharlau, who was born in Germany and came to the United States during her girlhood. To this union were born four children, of whom Austin is the eldest. He is married and resides in Vancouver, British Columbia. Blanche is the wife of Paul Dolstead, of Lynden, Washington, and the mother of two children. Ralph married Miss Vera Carlson, of Bellingham, by whom he has a daughter, Eileen. He is successfully conducting the business founded by his father and is ably assisted by his brother Arthur, who is a member of the association of United Commercial Travelers. H. M. Goodrick was affiliated with the Knights of Pythias and the Modern Woodmen of America. His life was a busy and useful one and his integrity in business affairs, his loyalty and patriotism in matters of citizenship and his fidelity to the ties of home and friendship were qualities which won for him the high and enduring regard of all with whom he was associated.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 203-204
Goodwin, Alice (Kirkman)
The name of this estimable woman is a familiar one to the people of the western part of Whatcom county, where she has long maintained her home, and the brief record of her life, outlined herewith, will be read with interest by her many friends and acquaintances, who have learned to prize her for her beautiful character and estimable personal qualities. Mrs. Alice Goodwin is a native of the state of Illinois and a daughter of Arthur and Agnes (Perry) Kirkman. Her father was born in England about 1836 and died September 30, 1908, and her mother was born in Scotland in 1840 and passed away September 4, 1908. They were the parents of seven children, namely: Edward, deceased; William, who lives at Nooksack; Alice, the subject of this sketch; Arthur, who lives in eastern Washington; Robert A., who is represented by a personal sketch elsewhere in this work; Andrew, who lives at Van Buren, Nooksack township; and O. A., who also is represented on other pages of this work. Arthur and Agnes Kirkman came to the United States in 1857, locating in Peoria county, Illinois, of which locality they were pioneers, and there the father conducted farming operations until 1878, when hee came to Whatcom county, traveling by railroad from Illinois to Sacramento, California, thence by boat to San Francisco, by another boat to Seattle, Washington, and again by boat to Whatcom county, four days being required to make the trip from Seattle to Bellingham. It required three weeks to make the trip from Illinois to Bellingham. On his arrival here, Mr. Kirkman filed on a homestead of one hundred and sixty acres near Van Buren, Nooksack township, the entire tract being densely covered with timber and brush. He at once built a log house and entered upon the herculean task of clearing the land and getting it in shape for cultivation. He was successful in his labors and eventually bought more land, so that at the time of his death he was the owner of three hundred and forty acres of good land, on which he lived continuously from the time he came here. He was a man of sterling qualities of character and attained a high place in the esteem of his fellow citizens throughout the community.
Alice Kirkman received a good, practical education in the public schools at Van Buren and remained at home until her marriage, on March 24, 1883, to G. D. Goodwin. To this union were born eight children, namely: Elmer, who is married and has two sons, George and Otis; one who died in infancy; William, who lives at Palo Alto, California, is married and has two sons, Donald and Leonard; Mrs. Maud Zwaschka, who died April 11, 1922, and who was the mother of two children - Blanche, born November 11, 1910, and Bert, born January 2, 1913; Mrs. Edith Flotre, who has adopted the two children of her sister Maud; Blanch, who has a good position in a bank in Los Angeles, California; Alfred, who lives at Arcata, California, is married and has a son, Delbert; and Delbert, who remains at home with his mother and operates the home farm.
Mrs. Goodwin is the owner of seventy-seven acres of good land in Nooksack township, fifty acres of which are cleared, the remainder being in pasture. The ranch is well improved and is one of the best farms in this locality. She keeps eighteen good milk cows and four horses and has a good house and commodious barn, as well as a silo. The cultivated land is devoted mainly to hay and grain, with a small tract of sugar beets, while enough corn is raised to fill the silo. Mrs. Goodwin is a woman of tact and good judgment. She directs the operation of the farm, with her son's assistance, in a businesslike manner, and is enterprising and progressive in her methods. She is kindly and hospitable in her social relations and no one in this community enjoys to a greater measure the unbounded confidence and esteem of the people.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 333-334
With a natural inclination for mechanical pursuits, Joseph Goodwin has wisely developed this gift, and his business career is a record of continuous progress. He is one of the more recent additions to the citizenship of Bellingham and is well known in automotive circles as the owner of a fine garage. A son of Joseph and Elizabeth (Walker) Goodwin, he was born in 1882 and is a native of England. The father has devoted his life to mercantile pursuits and still resides in England, but the mother has passed away.
Mr. Goodwin received a public school education and afterward served an apprenticeship to the machinist's trade. In 1901 he made the voyage to Canada and located in Moosejaw, where he lived for eleven years. He was employed as a machinist by the Canadian Pacific Railroad and in 1905 established the first garage in Moosejaw. In 1911 he went to the province of British Columbia and in 1917 was made one of seven instructors in the British Columbia University for returned soldiers. He was later connected with the Vancouver branch of the Studebaker Company and was also head mechanic for the Hudson's Bay Company. In January, 1923, he allied his interests with those of Bellingham and opened the Holly Garden Garage in the old roller skating rink. He has a floor space of one hundred by one hundred and thirty feet and storage capacity for two hundred cars. He has a wrecking car and maintains a well equipped repair shop. Mr. Goodwin handles the hood make of tires, and a well merited reputation for expert service and fair dealing has brought him a large share of the local automobile trade.
In April, 1925, Mr. Goodwin was united in marriage to Mrs. Christina Margaret (Ross) McGregor, and in all that affects the development and progress of the city they are deeply interested. Mr. Goodwin in connected with the Fraternal Order of Eagles but has little time for other activities, as his energies are concentrated upon the task of upbuilding his business, and his enterprise, ability and strength of character insure his success.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 588-589
Gorsuch, Edward J.
Edward J. Gorsuch is a member of one of the prominent families of Ferndale and a young man of enterprise, determination and ability who is recognized as a "live wire" in connection with the development of the local hardware trade. He was born April 8, 1892, in King county, Washington, and his parents were Frank W. and Sadie C. (Atkinson) Gorsuch. The former was a native of Wisconsin and the latter was born in Illinois. They were among the early settlers of King county, Washington, and for many years the father was the owner of a general store at Vashon. In 1913 he came to Ferndale and purchased the hardware business of the firm of Clark & Giblin, whose establishment was situated in the east end of the town. Later he rented a store in the Knights of Pythias building and successfully conducted the business until his demise in 1920. He was a man of progressive ideas, a merchant of high reputation and a citizen of worth to the community.
His son, Edward J. Gorsuch, was educated in the public schools of King county and also had the benefit of a commercial course. He assisted his father in the store during vacation periods and soon became familiar with the details of the trade. As the years passed he assumed heavier responsibilities, and since the death of Frank W. Gorsuch he has controlled the business closely adhering to the high standards of service established by his father. In addition to a full line of hardware he carries a stock of paint, oil and building material, and under his expert direction the business has constantly expanded.
On August 4, 1914, Mr. Gorsuch married Miss Margaret Harmeling, a daughter of Stephen J. Harmeling, of Vashon, Washington, and the children of this union are Edward J., Jr., and Howard. Mr. Gorsuch casts his ballot for the candidates of the republican party and along fraternal lines is connected with the Benevolent Protective Order of Elks. He lends the weight of his support to every project destined to prove of benefit to the community, and the respect accorded him is well deserved.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pg. 533