Graham, Charles R.
Commercial activity in Bellingham has been stimulated by the well directed efforts of Charles R. Graham, who has made the drug business the ladder by which he has climbed to success. A son of John and Emily Jane (Clapp) Graham, he was born in 1870 and is a native of Wayland, Michigan. The father was engaged in the grocery business in that state and in 1888 migrated to the Pacific coast, becoming a dealer in vehicles at New Whatcom, Washington, where he spent the remainder of his life. He responded to the final summons in 1913 and the mother passed away in 1903.
Charles R. Graham attended grammar and high schools of his native state and on starting out in life for himself secured a position as drug clerk. He found the work congenial and eagerly availed himself of every opportunity to learn the business, ow which he has made a life study. The Owl Pharmacy, of which he is now the proprietor, was established prior to 1889 by L. M. Hoag and L. De Champlain, who operated the business until 1899, when C. R. Graham purchased a half interest in the store, assuming the duties of manager. In 1907 Mr. De Champlain sold his stock in the concern to John A. Munch, whose share was acquired by the subject of this sketch in 1912. J. A. and H. H. Graham were also financially interested in the business. The latter passed away in 1919. C. R. Graham is the present owner and under his expert direction the business has rapidly expanded. In 1923 he opened branch stores in Cromwell and Magnolia, Washington, and his well known reliability has constituted one of the chief factors in the attainment of his success. He is an enterprising merchant and a capable executive whose plans are carefully formulated and promptly carried into effect.
In 1896 Mr. Graham was married, in Bellingham, to Miss Emma F. Sobers, a native of Kalamazoo, Michigan, and three children were born to them. Robert Lewis, the eldest, studied pharmacy and is now associated with his father in business. He is married and has three children. His brother, Frederick Albertson, is a student in the pharmaceutical department of the University of Washington, clerking in his father's store during vacation periods; and the sister, Mary Helen, is at home. Mr. Graham is allied with the republican party and has served as school trustee, taking a deep interest in educational matters. He has been one of the trustees of the Chamber of Commerce for several years and has served the Rotary Club in a similar capacity. He enjoys golf and is one of the popular members of the Bellingham Country Club. He belongs to Bellingham Bay Lodge, No. 31, of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and is also identified with the Woodmen of the World and the Benevolent Protective Order of Elks. His advancement is not due to a fortunate combination of circumstances, but is the direct and legitimate result of his own efforts, and his fellow citizens attest his worth.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 922-923
Grandquist, Emma (Kilcup)
Wholly devoted to home and domestic duties, doing through all the best years of her life the lowly but sacred work that comes within her sphere, there is not much to record concerning the life of the average woman. And yet what station so dignified, what relation so endearing, what office so tender and ennobling as those of home-making, wifehood and motherhood. In the settlement of Whatcom county woman bore her full share of hardships, and privations, helping man in his toilsome work, cheering him when discouraged, sharing his dangers, rejoicing in his success, and quietly and unostentatiously doing her part. Among this courageous band of women whose efforts contributed in a definite measure to the development of this section, specific mention should be made of Mrs. Emma Grandquist, who is one of the best known and most beloved women of her community.
Her father, Daniel Kilcup, was born in Nova Scotia, where he was reared and educated. In the early '60s he came down the Frazier river on a scow, on which were his cattle and goods, and landed at Edison, a few miles north of Bellingham, where for a time he was engaged in logging. In 1865, or possibly a little prior to that date, he went to Bellingham, where he worked in the coal mines. He also served as a captain of the boats on the bay, for he had gone to sea at the age of twelve years and thus was experienced on the water. About 1870 he and his brother-in-law, Henry West, came to Lynden and took up a homestead. Their journey to this was not an easy trip, as they had to come up the Nooksack river in canoes, under the guidance of "Old Captain John," an Indian. At that time they were in the midst of a veritable wilderness, there being not even a trail to their land. Here Mr. Kilcup entered upon the formidable task of clearing the land of the dense growth of trees and brush which covered it. The wood around them were filled with wild animals, including bears, deers and cougars, and they had to be constantly on their guard. Once a year he walked to Bellingham, where he did his trading, but a other times his goods were brought up the river to him by Indians. He slashed about twenty acres of this land and cultivated it between the stumps. In those days the neighbors cooperated in helping each other clear their land, and 'logging bees' were a common event. The spirit of mutual helpfulness was more in evidence then at the present time.
Here Mr. Kilcup lived until his death, which occurred in 1888, about the time the first railroad through here was under construction. He was married to Miss Harriet Fillerdue, who was born in eastern Canada, of an old French family, her marriage to Mr. Kilcup occurring in British Columbia. She died October 17, 1918. To Mr. and Mrs. Kilcup were born thirteen children, namely: Captain John, who lives in Oregon, is married and has six children, and who was one of the first to run river boats up the Nooksack river; Sarah, who died when about fourteen years of age; Mrs. Louisa Pease, of Los Angeles, California, who is the mother of three sons; Mrs. Mary Coffin of Los Angeles, the mother of three children; Mrs. Margaret Murphy, who lived at Lynden but is now deceased, leaving five children; Mrs. Agnes Bratt, of Los Angeles; Emma, the immediate subject of this sketch; Mrs. Annie Hill, of Lynden, who has three children; Daniel and Charlie, who died in infancy; Robert, of Portland, Oregon, who is married and has six children; Dillon, of Lynden, who is married and has a son; and Mrs. Edith Heallander, of Bellingham.
Emma Kilcup secured her early education in the school at Nooksack Crossing, which she attended three months a year, Mrs. C.I. Roth being her teacher. In 1904 she became the wife of E.J. Grandquist, who was born in Sweden, whence he and three sisters came to the United States together. His father, Eric Grandquist, never left his native land and there his death occurred. E.J. Grandquist came to Whatcom county about 1889, when Fairhaven was started, having been in Tacoma for a few years prior to that time. He was a lumber man by vocation, having worked in sawmills in his younger days, but in later years he took up the work of the ministry, being for five years prior to his marriage pastor of the Independent Free Thought Bible Spiritual Society. Following his marriage Mr. Grandquist did a good deal of farming in addition to his ministerial labors. After completing her schooling, Mrs. Grandquist took care of her mother, living on the home place until 1922 when they moved to Bellingham, where they lived until Mr. Grandquist's death, which occurred October 9, 1924. She then returned to the old home place, where she is now living.
Mr. and Mrs. Grandquist had done a good deal of effective work in improving the farm, having cleared over sixty acres of the land, which is now one of the splendid and productive farms of this locality. She is now giving her attention mainly to dairy farming, in which she is meeting with splendid success, keeping fifteen good grade cows, and also has five acres in berries. She is a good business women, handling her affairs with sound judgment and discrimination, and has a very comfortable and attractive home. To Mr. and Mrs. Grandquist were born two children, Paul and Dorothy, both of whom are in high school. Mr. Grandquist was a man of good education, was a deep thinker and had the courage of his convictions. He possessed a forceful personality and wielded a wide influence among those with whom he was bought in contact. Kindly and generous, friendly and courteous, he was in the highest esteem throughout this community, where he had a host of warm and loyal friends. Mrs. Grandquist is a woman of charming qualities, gracious and tactful in manner, and has long enjoyed the respect and admiration of the entire community, where she is widely and favorably known.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 381-382
Granger, C. R.
In the daily laborious struggle for an honorable competence and a solid career there is little to attract the casual reader in search of a sensational story; but to a mind thoroughly awake to the reality and meaning of human existence there are imperishable lessons in the career of an individual who by his own efforts, direct and controlled by correct principles and sound judgment, finally wins not only pecuniary independence but, what is far better, the deserved respect and confidence of those with whom his active years have been passed. In this class stands C. R. Granger, one of the best known and most highly regarded citizens of Lummi island.
Mr. Granger was born near Bad Axe, Huron county, Michigan, in 1871, and is a son of M. and Lucy (Rogers) Granger, the former of whom was a native of New York state and the latter of Monroe county, Michigan. In March, 1888, the father came to Washington, locating on Lummi island, where he secured forty-five acres of land, a part of the present home farm, and in the fall of the same year the mother brought their six sons and a daughter to the new home. The land was wild and uncleared and the early years here were marked by laborious efforts to get the place in shape for cultivation. There were at that time only a few white people on the island, and the father was compelled to work in logging camps and at other employment in order to earn money to keep the family until their land should become productive. At the time of his death, which occurred in March, 1922, about twenty acres of the land were cleared. the father was a man of rugged character and sterling integrity, well liked by all who knew him, and reflected in his makeup the characteristics of his English forbears, who came to this county in 1636, settling in Connecticut. The mother of our subject died in September, 1890.
C. R. Granger secured his education in the public schools of Michigan, in addition to which he had two terms of school on Lummi island. As soon as he was old enough he devoted his efforts to assisting his father in the improvement of the farm and in the support of the family. He worked in the logging camps until that industry waned, when he turned his attention to the fishing business, working in canneries for several years. He has of recent years, however, devoted himself closely to the operation of the farm, in which he has been successful. In addition to the raising of diversified crops, he gives considerable attention to dairying and is planning to go into the chicken business. He has a good orchard, comprising cherry, apple, pear, prune and apricot trees, all of which he set out himself and in which he takes a justifiable pride.
As a side line, but at the same time an important phase of his business interests, Mr. Granger has established and is operating a summer resort, called Loganita Lodge, which has proven one of the most popular vacation spots on the Sound, possessing a magnificent beach and a capacity for accommodating fifty guests comfortably. Boating, swimming and tennis are the chief attractions, and its best recommendation is the fact that those who once come here are usually sure to return.
In the fall of 1901 Mr. Granger was married to Miss Eva Warren, who was born in Huron county, Michigan, her family and that of the subject having been neighbors. She is a daughter of John and Mary (Nugent) Warren, the former a native of England and the latter of Canada. Mr. Warren came to Whatcom county in 1888 and the other members of the family arrived here in 1900. To Mr. and Mrs. Granger have been born four children, namely: Nyleptha, who is the wife of L. Lord, of Alaska; Warren, who is a graduate of the State Normal School, at Bellingham; and Dana and Joe, who are in high school. Mr. Granger has served for many years as a member of the township board, and he has also served for many years on the school board. He was at one time a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows. A man of good business qualities, industrious habits, fine public spirit and straightforward manner, he has long enjoyed an enviable standing in the respect and good will of his fellow citizens.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 253-254
Grant, Margaret (Newell)
Mrs. Margaret (Newell) Grant, the widow of Robert Smith Grant, has been a resident of Bellingham since 1915. She is a native of Murray county, Minnesota, and a daughter of Robert Newell, who was born in Scotland and immigrated to the United States just before the outbreak of the Civil war. He became a member of Company K, United States Infantry, from Fort Hamilton, Brooklyn, New York, and being still very young he was made messenger bearer to Abraham Lincoln. His Scotch accent was so pronounced that Lincoln said: "Go a bit slowly, boy, so that I can catch you." Robert Newell served in the army for more than three years and after the close of hostilities between the north and the south located in Boston, Massachusetts, where he met the girl whom he afterward made his wife and who had come on a visit to this country from her native Scotland. From the Bay state he made his way westward to Madison, Wisconsin, and thence removed to St. Paul, Minnesota. He was employed as foreman by the Great Northern Railroad Company when the road was only one hundred and ten miles long. Mr. Newell became a prominent factor in public affairs and for one term represented his district in the Minnesota state legislature. Subsequently he was in the service of the Great Northern Railroad Company in the capacity of foreman at Williston, North Dakota. He was a worthy exemplar of the teachings and purposes of the Masonic fraternity, gave his political allegiance to the republican party and belonged to the Grand Army of the Republic. His death occurred on the 11th of November, 1895.
Margaret Newell spent her girlhood in St. Paul, Minnesota, and there acquired her education. She accompanied her parents on their removal to North Dakota and assisted in the organization of the first church in that section, while her sister became the pioneer school teacher there. The church which she was instrumental in organizing is now the largest in the state. Margaret Newell gave her hand in marriage to Robert Smith Grant, a native of Scotland, and thereafter resided at Willmar, Minnesota, until her removal to Buffalo, New York. There the couple remained for three years, and they subsequently spent eighteen years in New York city, Robert S. Grant being superintendent of engineers in the service of the Northern Steamship Company. About 1890 Mr. Grant made his way to the western coast, locating in San Francisco, California. His widow came to Washington in 1915 and took up her abode at Bellingham, where she has since maintained a modern rooming and boarding house. He home is at No. 1200 Garden street. Mrs. Grant adopted the child of her sister, Mary, whom she has reared from infancy and who is a graduate of the Whatcom high school. She is a consistent and devoted member of the Presbyterian church and has gained an extensive circle of warm friends during the years of her residence at Bellingham.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 135-136
Grasher, F. G.
F. G. Grasher occupies a prominent place in the esteem of the people of Delta township and is universally respected, for in all his business affairs fair dealing has been his watchword. He has not been neglectful of his duty in any of the avenues of life and has long ranked among our active and enterprising farmers, being an advocate of up-to-date methods. A native of the state of Missouri, his birth occurred on the 26th of December, 1884, and he is a son of Louis and Sophia Grasher, both of whom were natives of Illinois. In 1870 the father moved to Missouri, where he bought a farm, to the operation of which he devoted himself until his death, which occurred in 1925, one year after the death of his wife. They became the parents of ten children, all but one of whom are living, namely: John, who died in infancy; William and Mary, twins; F. G., the subject of this sketch; Charles and Albert, twins; and Adolph, Valentine, Lena and Harvey.
F. G. Grasher secured his education in the public schools of his native state and remained on the home farm until he had attained his majority, when he came to Whatcom county, Washington, and went to work in a shingle mill, which occupation he followed for seven years, being in the employ of the Ed Gooding Shingle Company. In 1913 Mr. Grasher bought forty acres of land in Delta township, six and a half miles southwest of Lynden, a small part of which was cleared. He now has thirteen acres cleared and raises good crops of hay and potatoes. He keeps five good milk cows and two hundred laying hens, from both of which sources he derives a nice income, besides that which he obtains from the ranch. He has made a number of good improvements on the place and is now very comfortably and pleasantly situated.
In September, 1913, Mr. Grasher was married to Miss Elizabeth Harter, a daughter of Vincenz and Kathrina (Ringelspacher) Harter. Her father was a native of Baden, Germany, when he came to the United States in 1881, locating first in Indiana. He was there engaged in farming until 1885, when he came to Whatcom county and homesteaded one hundred and sixty acres of land in Delta township, where he now lives. To him and his wife were born six children, namely: Elizabeth, Mrs. Grasher; Martin, who is a veteran of the World war, having served nineteen months overseas; and Mrs. Louisa Getchell, Herman, Mrs. Katherine Rudy and Freda. To Mr. and Mrs. Grasher have been born three children, namely: Edna, born March 20, 1914; Albert, born January 4, 1916; and Martin, born December 27, 1920. Mr. Grasher is a member of the Whatcom County Dairymen's Association and the Whatcom County Poultry Association. He has shown a fine public spirit, being deeply interested in the welfare and prosperity of his community. By reason of his indefatigable labor, honest effort and sound judgment he has not only realized well merited material prosperity but has also earned the high esteem of all with whom he has been associated.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 883-884
Gray, George S.
George S. Gray, a dealer in musical instruments, occupies an enviable position in business circles of Bellingham and is one of the valuable citizens whom Canada has furnished to the United States. He was born in 1867 in the province of Ontario, and his parents were the Rev. Matthew S. and Harriet E. Gray, the former minister of the Congregational church. The son attended the public schools of the Dominion and also took a course in a commercial college at Danville, Indiana. He earned his first money by working on farms and later became a telegrapher. In October, 1891, he secured a position in the Reimer piano factory at Toronto, Canada, and there became skilled in the art of piano construction. He was next in the employ of the Mason & Risch Piano Company of Toronto and was later in the service of decker Brothers of New York city. He then went to Waterbury, Connecticut, and for seven years was there associated with the Driggs & Smith Company. During that period he made an important discovery, finding through experiment that fine wood and not metal was essential to retain the tone of the instrument. The close confinement had injured Mr. Gray's health and the firm sent him to the invigorating climate of Colorado to recuperate, paying the expenses of the trip. He was much benefited by the change and spent six years in Denver in company with his family. He was sales manager for the Knight-Lock Piano Company of Denver and afterward filled a similar position with the Montelius Piano company of that city, but had been with the latter house only six months when the business was sold.
Returning to Toronto, Mr. Gray was connected with the piano business of that city for three years and on the expiration of that period went to Cleveland, Ohio, as a representative of Wamelink Piano Company, with which he remained for two years. He was later in Michigan and aided in closing out the business of a well known corporation operating in that state. He arrived at Portland, Oregon, in February, 1914, and in July of that year located in Bellingham, Washington, where he has since made his home. He followed the profession of a piano tuner for about a year and in November, 1915, established a business of his own, securing a desirable location at No. 1323 Commercial street. His store is thirty by one hundred and twenty-five feet in dimensions and his stock is attractively displayed. He handles the Baldwin pianos and carries a full line of musical instruments. Mr. Gray has made an exhaustive study of this business, which has constituted his life work, and conducts the leading music house of the city. He is a recognized expert in the line in which he specializes, and his interesting brochure, entitled "Useful Hints on Selecting a Piano," has been of much assistance to those desiring to purchase a satisfactory instrument.
On St. Valentine's day of 1900, Mr. Gray was married, in Cleveland, Ohio, to Miss Helen S. Kerr, also a native of Canada and at one time a schoolmate. To this union was born a daughter, Helen Dorothy, who is now the wife of Frank Tatham and resides in Woodland, Washington. Mr. Gray belongs to the Knights of The Maccabees and is a republican in his political views. At the outset of his career he wisely chose a congenial line of work, on which he has centered his attention, never dissipating his energies over a broad field, and his success has been commensurate with his industry and ability.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 768-769
Greene, Raymond W.
Raymond W. Greene, attorney at law, is one of the talented members of the Bellingham bar and throughout the period of his connection with the profession has practiced in this city, in which he is highly esteemed. A native of Kansas, he was born April 9, 1880, and is a son of A. A. and Frances D. Greene. His father was engaged in merchandising for many years and is now living retired, but the mother is deceased.
The public schools of Wisconsin afforded Raymond W. Greene his early educational advantages, and his legal studies were pursued in the University of Minnesota, from which he was graduated with the class of 1903. He then came to Washington and on September 26, 1903, located in Bellingham. For twenty-two years he has practiced in this city, and the court records bear proof of his power as an attorney, showing that he has won the victory in many a hotly contested legal battle. He is well versed in statute and precedent and enjoys a large and lucrative clientele.
In 1910 Mr. Greene was married, in Bellingham, to Miss Olive Barnett, a native of Missouri, and they have five children: Raymond W., Jr., Harriet Genevieve, Frances Ross, Helen Barnett and Dorothy Joan. Mrs. Greene is active in the affairs of the Home Economics Club and the P. E. O. Mr. Greene has devoted much time to civic work and during the World war aided materially in promoting the success of the local drives. He is regional director of the Boy Scouts of America and president of the Humane Society of Bellingham. He is one of the enterprising members of the Chamber of Commerce and also belongs to the Mount Baker Club and the local camp of the Modern Woodmen of America, while his political views are in accord with the tenets of the republican party. Mr. Greene has always taken a keen interest in athletic sports and when a student at the University of Minnesota was a three-letter man in athletics. He is a credit to his profession and is a broadminded, public-spirited citizen whose influence is at all times on the side of progress, reform and improvement.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pg. 563
Greewood, Lyle A.; M.D.
Dr. Lyle A. Greenwood, an expert Diagnostician, is practicing in Bellingham, his native city, and upon the solid foundation of thorough scientific training has been reared the superstructure of his professional success. He was born in 1892 and is a son of Alonzo and Alice (Archer) Greenwood, the latter a native of Kansas. His father was born in Illinois and migrated to Bellingham in 1888, opening one of the first barber shops in the community. He afterward plied his trade in Lynden, Washington, but subsequently returned to Bellingham.
After the completion of his high school course Dr. Greenwood matriculated in the University of Washington, from which he won the degree of Bachelor of Science in 1915. Later he entered the medical department of Northwestern University, of Evanston, Illinois, from which he was graduated in 1919, and was an interne of the Cook County Hospital until December 31, 1920, after which he received his diploma. In 1921 he returned to Bellingham. He followed his profession independently for two years and has since been a member of the Bellingham Clinic. He enjoys an enviable reputation as specialist in internal medicine and diagnosis and his professional services are much in demand.
In 1918 Dr. Greenwood married Miss Hazel Buth, a graduate nurse and a daughter of H. O. Buth, of Wisconsin. They have become the parents of one child, Nina Ruth. The Doctor served for two months in the Students Army Training Corps and is a member of the American Legion. He belongs to the Optimists Club and along fraternal lines is connected with the Masons and the Benevolent Protective Order of Elks. He is a republican in his political views and lends the weight of his support to every project for civic betterment. He has been president of the Whatcom County Medical Society and is also a member of the Washington State Medical Society and the American Medical Association. A young man of serious purpose, Dr. Greenwood is deeply engrossed in his profession, in which he is making rapid progress, and his genuine worth has established him high in public regard.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pg. 790
Gregor, John C.
John C. Gregor, a well known and substantial farmer, landowner and dairyman of the Mountain View neighborhood in Whatcom county, is the proprietor of a well kept place of forty acres near Ferndale. He has resided on that tract for the past twenty years, and is very well established there. Mr. Gregor is a native of Norway but has been a resident of this country since the year in which he attained his majority. He was born May 2, 1871, a son of Andrew and Mattie (Christianson) Gregor, the former of whom was a farmer and a seaman. In 1892 they came to the United States with their family and in June of that year settled at Minneapolis, Minnesota.
For a year after coming to this country John C. Gregor was employed in the great flour mills in Minneapolis and then joined his father in operating a farm on which the family had become located in the Wilmar neighborhood in Kandiyohi county, Minnesota. For seven years he remained there, or until 1900, when he came to Washington, locating at Bellingham, where he became employed in the lumber mills. A year later, having "prospected around" a bit, he went to Rome Township and bought a tract of one hundred and twenty acres, which he cleared and cultivated, living there for four years. In 1906 he sold it and bought forty acres in the Mountain View neighborhood, where he and his family have since resided and where they are now pleasantly situated. In addition to general farming Mr. Gregor gives considerable attention to dairying and poultry raising and is doing very well. He is a member of the Whatcom County Dairy Association and has long been recognized as one of the progressive farmers of that section of the county. He also has given proper attention to the general civic affairs of the community and for two years rendered public service as supervisor of highways in his district.
On July 3, 1901, in Bellingham, Mr. Gregor was united in marriage to Miss Gertie Dyven, and they have three children: Mattie, who was born in Bellingham; Alvin, born on the farm in the Rome neighborhood; and Alice, who was born on the Mountain View place and who is now (1926) a student in the high school. Miss Mattie Gregor finished her education in the State Normal School at Bellingham and is now teaching in the nearby Mountain View school. Alvin Gregor also attended the State Normal School, and during the winters he is engaged in teaching. Like her husband, Mrs. Gregor also is a native of Norway, and she is a daughter of Andrew and Carrie (Veglengsrud) Dyven, likewise natives of that country, where they spent their entire lives. She came to American in 1899, accompanying an uncle, and became a resident of Clinton, Big Stone, county, Minnesota. In the next year she moved to Bellingham, a member of the same party as that with which Mr. Gregor came here, and it was thus the acquaintance was formed which in the summer of the following year resulted in the marriage of this estimable couple.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 89-90
Charles Grell, who achieved an international reputation as a chef, has long been identified with the hotel business, and Everson numbers him among its most influential citizens. A son of Philip and Emily (Klause) Grell, he was born in 1869 at Strassburg, which was then located in French territory. He had the benefit of a high school education, and in Paris, France, he mastered the details of pastry cooking, later being employed in the Continental Hotel of that city. While in the service of one of the grand dukes of Russia he traveled throughout Europe and aided in making the arrangements for many notable entertainments. Mr. Grell was widely recognized as an artist in his line of work, and in 1890 he went to San Francisco, California, as chef for Delmonico, afterward serving the Poodle Dog, the Granada Hotel and others of note in the same capacity. In 1900 he opened the Granville Hotel in Everson, Washington. It contains twenty-two rooms and is one of the most popular hostelries in northwestern Washington. The hotel is famed throughout the county for the excellence of its cuisine and nothing has been overlooked that would add to the comfort and well being of its patrons. With a capacity for detail Mr. Grell combines an economic knowledge of modern food values and a specialized grasp of the art of inn keeping which amounts almost to an inborn talent, and he has clearly demonstrated his faith in Everson's future by extensive investments in real estate.
In 1893 Mr. Grell was united in marriage to Miss Emily Bushby, a native of England, and two children were born to them. The daughter, Alma, is a graduate of the Granville Finishing school and the wife of H. T. Campbell, who is connected with the Seattle music house of Bush & Lane. They have become the parents of two children, Emily Louise and Ronald Richard. The son, Milton Philip Grell, is in the employ of the Carnation Milk Products Company, and he also enjoys an enviable reputation as a violinist.
Along fraternal lines Mr. Grell is connected with the Modern Woodmen of America and the Benevolent Protective Order of Elks. He is an adherent of the republican party and his public service covers five years of work as school director. Genial, warm-hearted and sincere, he has a host of friends in the west, and in winning success he has at the same time contributed toward Everson's prestige and progress.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 95-96
Griffen, Daniel A.
High on the roll of Deming's honored dead is written the name of Daniel A. Griffen, who was the outstanding figure in its development. Actuated by the spirit of progress, he was constantly broadening the scope of his activities and the entire county benefited by his constructive labors. He was endowed with all the qualities of the leader and to the sturdy traits of the pioneer were added a geniality and kindliness that endeared him to all who were brought within the sphere of his influence.
A native of Nebraska, Mr. Griffen was born in 1856, and after the completion of his public school course he took up the study of law, but he did not follow that profession, choosing a commercial career instead. Early in the '80s he came to the Pacific coast, locating first in Portland, Oregon, and the year 1889 witnessed his arrival in Whatcom county, Washington. He opened an insurance office in Blaine and later transferred his business to Whatcom. Mr. Griffen subsequently took up a homestead and on this land founded the town of Deming about 1893. He developed a fine farm and owned one of the first sawmills in the district, and he established the Regina Hotel, which was known far and wide owing to the high quality of its food, a specialty being made of fried chicken dinners. The hostelry did much to stimulate the growth of the town. Mr. Griffen started the first store in Deming and was also the owner of the paper. As a merchant he was particularly successful, and he later opened a store at Maple Falls and another at Glacier. A splendid type of the virile American business man, he possessed the power of scattering his energies without lessening their force, and his keen intelligence and fertility of resource enabled him to direct with ease varied and important interests.
Mr. Griffen was appointed postmaster of Deming and made a fine record in the office, which he filled for many years. He was a stalwart adherent of the republican party and took a keen interest in politics, and he was a strong advocate of progress, reform and improvement in public affairs, being one of the most influential men in the county. Gifted with exceptional business acumen and a broad grasp of affairs, he had a career of unusual activity, of varied experiences and noteworthy success. The elements were happily blended in a nature finely matured and altogether admirable, and his demise in February, 1925, was the occasion of deep and widespread regret.
In 1887 Mr. Griffen married Miss Ella L. Sherman, now deceased, who was born in Cowlitz county, Washington. Regina, who was known as "Tootsie," was the only child of their union, and she died at the age of twelve years. Mr. Griffen adopted an orphan, Peggie Snow, when she was fourteen years of age, and he bestowed upon her a father's care and affection. She was born in Deming and completed her education in the State Normal School at Bellingham. This capable young business woman now has entire charge of Mr. Griffen's large properties and is fully equal to the responsibilities of the position. She is successfully conducting the general store at Deming, the others having been sold, and is loved and admired by the residents of this locality, among whom her life has been spent.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 262-265
Griffin, Joseph H.
Joseph H. Griffin, who was brought to Whatcom county by his parents when a little lad of four year, is a veteran of the World war and since his return from overseas has lived retired at Bellingham save for the supervision of his property interests. His birth occurred at Bismarck, North Dakota, in 1885, his parents being Mr. and Mrs. L. N. Griffin, the father a native of the state of New York, while the mother was born in Norway. It was in the year 1889 that L. N. Griffin came to Whatcom county, Washington, settling at Fairhaven (now Bellingham), where he engaged in the buying and selling of property. He also became a prominent factor in the public life of the community and for a number of terms served as mayor, his administration being characterized by many measures of advancement and reform. In his death, which occurred on the 29th of February, 1920. Bellingham sustained the loss of one of its valued and highly respected citizens. He is still survived by his widow, who is a devoted member of the Presbyterian church and is also well known and highly esteemed in Bellingham.
Joseph H. Griffin supplemented his grade school education by a course of study in the Fairhaven high school and after putting aside his textbooks spent about seven years in the logging camps. Subsequently he turned his attention to the automobile business, which claimed his time and energies until the United States became involved in the World war, when he enlisted in the Ninth Regiment of Marines. The years since his return to civil life have been spent in retirement except for the management of his property interests. He is a worthy exemplar of the teachings and purposes of the Masonic fraternity, belonging to the blue lodge, in which he has filled all of the chairs and to the chapter, the commandery and the Mystic Shrine. In Bellingham where he has resided from early life, the circle of his friends is almost coextensive with the circle of his acquaintances.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pg. 918
Griffith, George H.
Among the enterprising and progressive citizens of Whatcom county, George H. Griffith, owner of the "Orchard Poultry Farm," in Lynden township, holds a place in the front rank. Sound in his business judgment, farsighted in his vision of future demands and possibilities, prompt and energetic in action along well defined plans and an expert and authority in his special line of business, he has long wielded a large influence in business circles and is today a leader of men and a promoter of worthy enterprises. He was born on the 24th of October, 1858, in Cambridge City, Indiana, and is a son of H. C. and Hannah (Hambleton) Griffith, the former a native of Bucks county, Pennsylvania, and the latter of New York state. His father, who was a lawyer by profession, was a veteran of the Civil war, serving throughout that struggle, and was so severely wounded that he never afterward walked without crutches. His death occurred in California. Our subject attended the public schools of his native city and then went to Denver, Colorado, where for about a year he was employed as a machinist in the round house of the Kansas Pacific Railroad. Later he went to New Mexico, where for three years he worked for the Sante Fe Railroad, first in the shops, then as a locomotive fireman and finally as an engineer. He then started for the northwest, walking from American Falls to Walla Walla and thence to Seattle. He next went to California, on the lookout for a small farm that suited him, and while there he was employed as superintendent by C. W. Reed & Company.
In 1887 Mr. Griffith came to Whatcom county and homesteaded one hundred and sixty acres of land, comprising his present ranch, all of which was in timber and brush. He at once entered upon the task of clearing the tract and now has seventy acres cleared, thirty of which are in cultivation. He has devoted his attention primarily to the chicken business, in which he has met with pronounced success, the "Orchard Poultry Farm" being one of the most widely known poultry establishments in the state. He keeps three thousand White Leghorn hens and plans to double the number as quickly as it can be done. For the accommodation of his flocks he has two buildings, three hundred and twenty and four hundred feet long respectively, and his shipment of eggs averages twenty cases per week. He has plans in process of construction which when completed will enable one man to care for three thousand hens. Running water, most essential for the proper care of poultry, is piped to all parts of the houses. He has installed a mono-rail carrier, which will convey eggs, feed and fertilizer the full length of the houses. The stored feed on the second floor of the hen houses falls by gravity to the feeding cars and is hauled up to the storage floor by machine power, so that a maximum amount of work is accomplished with a minimum amount of labor. In addition to the laying houses, Mr. Griffith also has a forty-five thousand egg capacity hatching plant on the place, which is electrically operated. Practically all the machinery and other labor-saving devices have been constructed by Mr. Griffith, who is a genius along that line. On his farm he also has five acres of gooseberries and two hundred and fifty cherry trees, a part of the product of which is shipped east, the remainder being sold to canneries.
On January 1, 1900, Mr. Griffith was married to Miss Anna J. Dorr, who was born in Florida, a daughter of W. H. and Ida (Frost) Dorr. Mr. Dorr, who was born and reared in Iowa, was a pioneer in the Weiser lake section of Whatcom county, where he homesteaded land, created a good farm, and there died. He is survived by his widow, who spends her time around among her children. To Mr. and Mrs. Griffith has been born a son, Lawrence E., who was born here November 11, 1903, and who was recently married to Miss Florence Johns, a native of Canada. They have also adopted a girl, Mary Griffith, nee Mathes, who is still at home.
Fraternally Mr. Griffith is a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, and he also belongs to the Whatcom County Dairymen's Association. To him more than to anyone else is due the credit for the organization of the Whatcom County Poultry Association, which is now generally recognized as the most successful and efficient organization of its kind in the United States. The organization was first established in 1916 as the Washington Co-operative Egg and Poultry Association, and to the success of the venture Mr. Griffith devoted himself heart and soul, giving liberally of his time and means, in the beginning performing most of the official duties of the association. It now has two million dollars of capital stock and Mr. Griffith is the present vice president. He has been a member of its board of directors ever since its organization. His actions have always been the result of careful and conscientious thought and when convinced that he is right no suggestion of policy or personal profit can swerve him from the course he has decided upon. This consistency of motive and action has made a favorable impression upon his associates, among whom he is held in the highest confidence and regard. He is an energetic and indefatigable worker, doing thoroughly and well whatever he undertakes, and he takes a justifiable pride in the splendid property which he has developed here. He is genial and friendly in his social relations and enjoys a well merited popularity.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 225-226
Griswold, Will J.
For more than twenty years Will J. Griswold has devoted his attention to the practice of law, and the nature and importance of the legal interests intrusted to his charge establish his position as one of the leading attorneys of Bellingham. He was born October 17, 1870, in La Fayette, Indiana, and his parents were Charles M. and Mary (Hughes) Griswold, the former a traveling salesman. W. J. Griswold received his higher education in Lake Forest University of Illinois and was graduated with the class of 1903, winning the degree of LL. B. In October, 1904, he came to Bellingham and was first a member of the law firm of Parrott & Griswold, which later became Parrott, Griswold & Hudson. Since 1912 Mr. Griswold has practiced alone, and the court records of Bellingham bear proof of his power as an attorney, showing that he has successfully handled many notable cases. While well grounded in the principles of common law when admitted to the bar, he has throughout his professional career continued a diligent student of legal science, and this knowledge has served him well in forensic combat.
On June 30, 1897, Mr. Griswold married Miss Edith West, a daughter of Dr. F. B. West, who was one of the honored pioneer physicians of Bellingham and Mount Vernon, Washington. Mr. Griswold has a son, Francis W., who was graduated from the University of Washington and is now a salesman in the employ of the Standard Oil Company. He is married and has a daughter, Isabelle Annette. Mr. Griswold is a thirty-second degree Mason and Shriner and for fifteen years has been president of the Cougar Club. He organized the local Rotary Club and was its first president. He is a leader in the ranks of the republican party and for six years has been a member of the state central committee. He belongs to the Whatcom County and Washington State Bar Associations and has served as president of the former organization. Mr. Griswold is a citizen of worth and has ever conformed his practice to the highest ethics of the profession.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pg. 541
Groom, Bert W.
Bert W. Groom, hardware merchant and veteran plumber of Bellingham, is the proprietor of a well established place of business on Eleventh street in that city. Though a native of the old Empire state, he has been a resident of the state of Washington and of Bellingham since the days of his young manhood, a period of almost thirty years, and has thus witnessed the development of the city from the days before it attained its present corporate name. He became established as a plumber here in 1897 and has ever since been connected with that trade, being now the oldest continuous contractor in the plumbing line in the city. To this business he years ago added a general hardware line and is thus also one of the veteran merchants here, with a name firmly established in commercial and industrial circles throughout the fine trade area centering in Bellingham.
Mr. Groom was born in the city of Niagara Falls, New York, in 1876, a son of Lyman D. and Mary F. (Crawford) Groom, the former of whom was a commissioned merchant. Both are now deceased. Reared in Niagara Falls, Bert W. Groom was educated in the schools of that city and early entered upon an apprenticeship to the plumber's trade, upon the completion of which he started out as a journeyman plumber and headed west, working his way to the coast. In 1897 he became employed in the hardware store of the McIntosh Hardware Company in the Fairhaven section of the present city of Bellingham, and he created the plumbing department of that company's store. In 1900, in association with E. M. Adams and A. A. Carter, he became engaged in the plumbing and hardware business on his own account, opening an establishment on Eleventh street in Fairhaven, which three years later came into the general Bellingham corporation. In 1907 Mr. Groom and John Tierney bought the Knights of Pythias building at No. 1208 Eleventh street, and in 1918 Mr. Groom acquired full ownership of the business, since when he has been carrying on the business independently, being the proprietor of one of the most complete general hardware and plumbing establishments in this section of the state. His store comprises four stories and full basement and covers a ground space of fifty by ninety feet, and he is amply equipped for all calls made upon him in the line of general plumbing contracting and hardware supplies.
In 1903, at Fairhaven, in the Fairhaven Presbyterian church, Mr. Groom was united in marriage to Miss Annie garland, who was born in Kansas, a daughter of Charles Garland, and they have two sons, Bert and Frank. Mr. and Mrs. Groom are republicans. Mr. Groom is a Royal Arch Mason and a member of the Kulshan Club. For six years (1916-1922) he served as a member of National Guard of the state of Washington, rendering service as a mechanic.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pg. 109
Groth, C. H.
C. H. Groth has made the abstract business the ladder by which he has mounted to success and occupies an enviable position in commercial circles of Bellingham. He was born at Milwaukee, Wisconsin, in 1872 and after the completion of his high school course became connected with the dry goods trade. He entered the abstract business in 1888, securing a position with a Milwaukee firm, and was superintendent of the then Milwaukee Title Company for five years, while from 1906 until 1909 he was in the probate department of the Chicago Title & Trust Company. He subsequently came to Washington as manager of the court house branch of the Spokane Title Company. From 1915 until December, 1917, he had charge of the business of the Big Ben Abstract Company at Davenport, Washington, successfully managing their interest, and on January 1, 1918, came to Bellingham.
Mr. Groth has since been manager and treasurer of the Whatcom County Abstract Company, which was formed in 1910. Among the organizers were George H. Watrous, C. M. Smith, Bernard Montague, George E. Gage, John F. Miller and J. C. Minton, who were also the first trustees. The business was located on Dock street for many years and for ten years was conducted at No. 100 Prospect street. Its present home is a fine building situated at No. 107 Prospect street and was completed in 1924. The corporation is engaged in a general abstract business and issues title insurance through other firms. The officers of the company are J. C. Minton, president; C. M. Adams, vice president; and C. H. Groth, manager and treasurer. All are able business men, thoroughly experienced in this line of work, and the well known reliability of the firm is one of its greatest assets.
Mr. Groth has thoroughly systematized the work, introducing new methods which have proven very effective, and gives to the public the services of an expert. For thirty-eight years he has concentrated his attention upon this line of endeavor, and his advancement is the merited reward of proven worth and ability. Mr. Groth was elected vice president of the Washington Title Association in 1925, which office he still holds. He belongs to the Bellingham Chamber of Commerce and is also a Kiwanian. He votes the republican ticket and his fraternal affiliations are with the Eagles, the Woodmen of the World and the Benevolent Protective Order of Elks.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pg. 673